Bruce Allen takes the Redskins' helm

With a nod to the Washington Redskins' history, team owner Daniel M. Snyder on Thursday introduced Bruce Allen, son of legendary Redskins coach George Allen, as the team's new executive vice president and general manager, a move that completed the speedy transition from the leadership of Vinny Cerrato -- who resigned Thursday morning -- and was perhaps the first in a series of moves that could transform the way the franchise is run.

At a news conference at the Redskins' training facility in Ashburn, Snyder praised Allen, who previously ran the Oakland Raiders and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as a proven winner, and said it was "time for a change" given the Redskins' disappointing season.

"He has a great passion for the game, passion for winning," Snyder said of Allen. "He's a great communicator. He's a man who absolutely has a tireless work ethic. He's a man that works around the clock. Yes, you all recognize his name, the Allen family. He understands the great tradition. It's an added bonus, that he understands the tradition and heritage of the Washington Redskins."

Allen spoke of memories from 35 years ago, when his late father coached the team. But he stressed that the final three weeks of the season will be "to learn what's been going on" with the franchise and said there would not be dramatic changes before the season ends. He would not say whether he would search for a replacement for Coach Jim Zorn, who is 12-17 in less than two seasons at the helm.

"Obvioulsy, this is an exciting day for me, for my family," Allen said. "If you told me 35 years ago I'd be standing here at new Redskins Park, I don't think I would have bet on it. It's exciting because of the history, the tradition, the comfort about coming home. Everybody who knows me -- and hopefully you'll get to know me better -- knows that the principles of football in my mind are simple. It's a team. It's 53 men, the entire staff, everybody in the building, going in the same direction for one common goal."

Zorn and the coaching staff led the Redskins, who stand at 4-9, through workouts in preparation for Monday night's game against the New York Giants. Allen said he met briefly with Zorn earlier Thursday, but that he had not made any decision about the coach's future. He declined to address the idea that he might pursue Super Bowl-winning coach Jon Gruden, with whom he worked both in Oakland and Tampa Bay.

"We just sat down," Allen said of Zorn. "I told him what I'm going to try and do in the next few weeks, because this is a unique opportunity to get a start on the 2010 season, and the seasons upcoming ... In that conversation, we're going to have some more meetings to discuss the future."

The transfer of power from Cerrato, who worked for the Redskins since 1999, to Allen was a dramatic change at Redskins Park. Snyder and Allen began talking over "several weeks in different issues other than this," Allen said, and he was finally offered the job this week. Allen had been out of work since being dismissed, along with Gruden, following the Buccaneers' collapse at the end of the 2008 season.

"I like urgency," Allen said. "I like doing things sooner than later. And that made it the most attractive position that could possibly have been available."

Snyder said Allen would be given authority over the organization's football decisions.

"I think Bruce, with his track record, obviously attracted me," Snyder said. "I've been thinking about this for quite some time. He is a seasoned, experienced NFL football executive, and it was really appropriate timing."

Snyder said he had conversations with Cerrato about the direction of the franchise over the course of the season, and that he worked his way to this decision as the losses mounted.

"Obviously, this has been a very difficult season, one that we've disappointed everyone with: fans, ourselves. It's been difficult," Snyder said. "When it gets to the point where you say, 'What do we need to do for the future?' And that's what I decided to do."

Allen, who wore a burgundy and gold tie, starts his job immediately.

"I haven't felt the pain that has been associated with 4-9," Allen said. "Starting today, I feel the pain. I look forward to talking with the coaches, the personnel people, and having them explain to me their thoughts on what occurred."

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 17, 2009; 3:35 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen hiring Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Previous: Pollard Alliance says Redskins complied with Rooney Rule
Next: George Allen says his brother is 'a perfect fit'

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Bruce Allen = H.G.M.I.C.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good to me.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | December 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

wasnt the content of this post already covered?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Such a good day!

Posted by: Devo2 | December 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope he gives JZ and JC a shot at staying.

Changing coaches and QBs for the sake of change isn't necessarily good.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Other than the birth of my daughter and my wedding day, this may be the happiest moment of my adult life.
Posted by: isnadd

LMAO
Posted by: Flounder21

I totally understand the birth of a child, but your wedding day? Dude must be a newlywed or REALLY emotion surrounding today's events.
Posted by: dcwun

---------------------------
...just in case my wife reads the blog! Just kidding honey, I love you!

Posted by: isnadd | December 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Changing coaches and QBs for the sake of change isn't necessarily good.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

For the sake of change......what, you want to be 4-9 at this time next year???

Posted by: bones21 | December 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Have you guys read this bleeding heart for Vinny Cerrato piece?

Dec. 17, 2009
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

----------

A piece that conviently alleviates Cerrato of ANY responsibility for this team's failures.

Snyder did the right thing. I don't know if he got the right guy, but getting someone in here in time to see this team play a few games was a good idea, IMO.

When the season ends, the usual soap opera of an offseason will begin for the Skins. Stay tuned....

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope he gives JZ and JC a shot at staying.

Changing coaches and QBs for the sake of change isn't necessarily good.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What does JZ do well, that he deserves another chance to stay?

He doesn't call plays except for the 2 min. drill.

He isn't good at getting right personnel on the field(Davis, Thomas, ARE still returns punts).

He isn't a great motivator.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 17, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

For the sake of change......what, you want to be 4-9 at this time next year???

Posted by: bones21

With how this team is playing the last month, despite all the injuries, and after an offseason of shuffling and (hopefully) a good draft, why do you think we'd necessarily be 4-9 next year?

You don't think JC has improved?

JZ is more debateable, but what if he has come around as well? His WCO seems to finally be clicking, whether it was because of Sherm or not.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis - you might be right - all I'm saying is I hope he gives him a fair assessment and doesn't already have his mind made up, thats all. Our team seems to finally be grasping Zorn's offense - another HC and another new system might set us back again.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen = H.G.M.I.C.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse
--------

Let's hope the "G.M." part sticks in Snyder's mind.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Allen, who wore a burgundy and gold tie, starts his job immediately.

By Barry Svrluga | December 17, 2009; 3:35 PM ET

Not maroon and black? Can't believe we're changing the team colors. Wow, sweeping changes are coming.

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray ! Thank you Mr. Snyder .....

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | December 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The difference here is that Allen has an independent track record as Joe Gibbs did and that earns respect from Snyder.

Snyder liked Cerrato and obviously they are friends, but I don't think he ever respected him in the sense of Vinny being a true team builder and go-to guy.

Allen has a good enough reputation around the NFL that if Snyder pulls anything hinky Bruce WILL walk away from the job and no one on the league will blame him.

After all that has happened SNYDER is the one under the gun.

Everyone is watching what HE does and says now.

If Bruce is left alone and only consults Snyder on the contract side regarding cap management (Eric Shaeffer)and paying the bonuses then I think the team will be fine.

If not, Allen will exit.

And Snyder will then look REALLY bad.

Posted by: leopard09 | December 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray ! Thank you Mr. Snyder .....

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | December 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Keep Jason, send zorn packing...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Relevant Bruce Allen anagrams...

Leaner Club
Cul enabler
Race Be Null

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Hello Coach Gruden

Posted by: coparker5 | December 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, I think that guys are still playing very hard for JZ..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Snyder only did this because he finally consulted with the great architect of Redskin glory, Bobby Beathard. BB is the one who told him to get this guy, told him to then get the hell out of his way and let him do his job. Zorn will be gone, thank god. Double Sherms might stay, if the incoming coach runs the west coast scheme. Blache will go away too. Good riddance.

Posted by: shanks1 | December 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

JC continues to improve even under the most adverse conditions. Either way (he stays or goes) he will almost certainly have to learn yet another new system. That can get frustrating, emotionally it can strain your confidence. Allen needs to pick a coach and offensive coordinator looking forward to 5 years of stability. Will that happen? With Snyder? I seriously doubt it.

Interesting, he couldn't make it with Gibbs so he reaches back to the first true winning years ... to the George Allen years. Years he really doesn't remember ... interesting ... and Bruce Allen did work for the Redskins back then.

Posted by: periculum | December 17, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fj8152001 | December 17, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

He will soon feel Snyder's wrath if things don't change for the better and FAST!!

Posted by: cbmuzik | December 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I try not to engage in petty bickering- this is about the Skins, especially on such a great day, but I've seen enough...

DMV, so it's OK for you to rail against "ignorant white folk" and their OBVIOUSLY racist sterotypes, bigotry, et al...but then to turn around and make similarly idiotic sweeping generalizations. You so clearly weren't hugged enough and/or (probably and) don't get laid nearly enough

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I have seen some posters blasting Vinnie and his comments, or lack of, towards Zorn. I just read them...

"I've had the pleasure of working with some great coaches such as Joe Gibbs, Greg Blache and Sherman Lewis, great people on the Redskins staff, and, most especially, some of the best professional football players in the world," Cerrato said.

...and I wish sometimes people would actually READ and PROCESS something before commenting. If you want to blast Cerrato for his tenure here, go for it, but his comments, as I read them, are nothing but classy. He listed 'great coaches' he has worked with and included Gibbs, Blache, and Sherm Lewis- all of you that have blasted him for "dissing" Zorn actually think Zorn should be listed here as well?!?!

I'm not knocking Zorn (although it certainly can be argued he has had his fair share of blunders in two years) but there is no way Zorn's resume would stack up against what these coaches have accomplished. Zorn, at this point, should not be on anyone's list of "Great Coaches". Cerrato listed three coaches along with that statement. He then mentioned "great people on the Redskins staff" and didn't refer to anyone. It could be argued if he had AND had left off the uniform washer, folks on this blog would've blasted him for shortchanging that man.

I don't have problems with the 'anger' and venting that gets posted here. I read most of it and often say "You're G#D D@MN RIGHT!" but the off base venting swill some of you sling about is like Mel Gibson in the movie, Conspiracy Theory.

Posted by: BigDeck | December 17, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Clark Judge's piece for CBS has the feel of someone who doesn't follow the Redskins very closely. No one is saying that Cerrato was the entire problem. But he clearly was *a* problem.

Bruce Allen's record in Oakland and TB is mixed, but he had some success. Notably, he succeeded in Oakland while working for a tyrant-owner, so he should be well-prepared for what's to come.

Posted by: acoberst1 | December 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"PFT is reporting that in what could only be called the 'strangest twist possible', newly hired GM Bruce Allen, has hired none other than Vinny Cerrato as his Director of Player Personell. Stay tuned for the reaction from Dan Snyder"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, I think that guys are still playing very hard for JZ..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I think they're playing hard for their jobs.

I think we would have seen better effort at the beginning of the year if they were playing for JZ.

This is just guys trying to show they're not the problem and playing for pride.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope he gives JZ and JC a shot at staying.

Changing coaches and QBs for the sake of change isn't necessarily good.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Are you insane?

I don't disagree that Campbell deserves a shot to stay and unless you can come up with a name that make us better he should stay.

But Jim Zorn?!?!?!? I mean besides crappy in game decision making, bad who should play and who should be inactive decisions, stubborn loyalty to non-producing veterans, poor clock management, and bad play calling he's a hell of a coach that we should really worry about keeping around.....are you on crack?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Please - no head coaching change. Can you imagine this collection of players learning yet another "System"? It took Thomas, Kelly and Davis almost 2 years to learn where to line up in this one!

Posted by: VegasJim | December 17, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

this just in...
Reporters filing out of the Redskins Park Press Room after the Press conference introducing Bruce Allen.... overheard from the Coach's locker room, down the hall pass the weight room, what sounded like...

"Hip Hip Hooray"... "Hip Hip Hooray"

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 17, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I try not to engage in petty bickering- this is about the Skins, especially on such a great day, but enough is enough...

DMV, let me get this str8- it's OK for you to rail against "ignorant white folk" and their OBVIOUSLY racist sterotypes, bigotry, et al...but then to turn around and make similarly idiotic sweeping generalizations, as well as lash out at fellow posters with childish, pathetic, low-brow personal attacks. Seems to me the racist is you, always pullin the card blindly at any hint of offensive language.

You so clearly didn't get enough hugs as a child, or get laid nearly enough as an adult...assuming you are one- hard to tell by the intellectual and emotional level of most of your posts.

You complete me. And by "complete me" I mean "amuse/annoy/entertain with idiocy" me. Grow up dude.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Uh, the reason you are 4-9 right now can be directly attributed to the OL. Basically, Levi Jones and BMW finally coming around ... (maybe next year he will get a tackle job back if he keeps working at it. ) are the reasons they might, might win 5 games. If they win 6 its almost a miracle. (Of course almost soundly defeating New Orleans was pretty miraculous. Said a lot about how far the offense and the OL have come. Said a lot, and about how far the defense has fallen in spite of Orapko's gaudy stats.

Of course now they have a new boss analyzing them ... deciding who stays and who goes. Wonder if it will create some urgency to win games?

Posted by: periculum | December 17, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

JC and Sherm Lewis have to stay if this team is to succeed

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

don't forget that Davis giggled.....you don't believe this crap you wrote do you??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasJim | December 17, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

right that's why Cooley gets hurt and all of sudden during the philly game Davis suddenly learned the system that had mystified him for a year and a half. Before that 10 second play where Cooley got hurt he had no idea where to line up but in those 10 seconds he learned......please.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"If you want to blast Cerrato for his tenure here, go for it, but his comments, as I read them, are nothing but classy".

Couple of things....

1 - Vinny was here 10 years and produced 15 draft picks and 68 Losses. He was never qualified to hold this job.

B - Vinny and the word "classy" rarely, if ever, collided in the same sentence.

Posted by: ksquare | December 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Jay Z can't adequately describe today like Ice Cube.

Just wakin up in the mornin gotta thank God
I don't know but today seems kinda odd
No barkin from the dog, no smog, and momma cooked a breakfast with no hog...

Drunk as hell but no throwin up
Half way home and my pager still blowin up
Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say IT WAS A GOOD DAY...

I repeat, Today was a good day.

HTTR!!

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Remember folks. Campbell is cheap. If they decide to get rid of Portoise (a good plan) they lose 14 million from the salary cap. Campbell is the best choice to jump start this team into a winner at this point. Along with Colt.

Posted by: periculum | December 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The team needs someone who can buffer the team from the owner.

Gibbs could do that, Vinny could not.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 17, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

gotta beep from kim, and she can do it all night...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

no, but seriously, when you are leaving you don't make distinctions between the great people you worked for..."yeah, I loved working with all of you, except Suzy the receptionist, who really blew chunks at all times..."

You ever heard anyone say that?

If you have class, you say the right things...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hiring a new head coach every 2 years guarantees failure.

Posted by: VegasJim | December 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

Are you just going to spit s_it from your mouth, or are you going to back those up with some facts? Otherwise, if not, shut the f__k up and keep my name off your post, boy.

Again, go back and post something that I posted when I was making these "sweeping generalizations".

And as far as my sex life goes that's between me, your wife, your mother, and the pool boy. You need not need to make comments on what you don't want to know about.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn was the uniform washer but those duties were taken away when he couldn't decide between hot and cold, tide and cheer, spin and fluff...

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Did Snyder say Bruce Allen is going to call the shots . . . he said something to that effect, but he also stated, "When Bruce makes a decision, it will be a Redskins decision." Hmm.

Does this really address the pleas and endless cries for "back the f-off and hire a real GM . . . nothing will ever chance until that happens" could this be that!? It sure sounds like it! Sweet sweetness. This feels like an upset win that fills you up with optimism.

Looks like the last three games are really going to determine a lot about next year. As it should be. Giants, Cowboys, Chargers.

Too bad for Chris Henry and Cinci, but today is otherwise a good day for DC.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Called up the homies and I'm askin y'all
Which park, are y'all playin basketball?
Get me on the court and I'm trouble
Last week f ed around and got a triple double
Freakin brothers everyway like M.J.
I can't believe, TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

So Bruce Allen is a Reskin.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Well said Diesel/Cube! "Mama cooked the breakfast with no hog" - one of my all time favorite lines.

Peric- it's a no brainer that you tender JC the highest RFA offer we can. If he resigns, we've got stability and a guy that is tough, good character, and improving (13th rated passer with a pathcwork line)...get him stud LT (Russel Okung PLEASE) and another good interior lineman and I think he may well become a Top 10 QB in this league.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

didn't even have to use my AK

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 17, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

you're doin the pool boy?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I would like to thank RedDMV for posting that Clark Judge article, which was spot on.....

Vinny was a good soldier....And Snyder continues to listen to the fans...He is the thinest skinned owner in the NFL.

And you guys have been eating it up. You don't realize that Vinny was the Puppet and Snyder was the Puppet MAster.

The Puppet Master's routine was getting old...and the people started to get tired of the puppet...All of sudden, people started to notice that the puppet was actually attached to puppet master and the people were just about to start point towards the puppet master and talk amongst the village was to over throw the puppet master.

THEN....the Puppet Master switched puppets without notice, and this new puppet reminds the people of the puppet they use to have in their olden days....very nostalgic...

And the people are now singing the new joys of this new puppet....And everyone has forgotten that the Puppet is and has always been, controlled by the Puppet MAster...

Y'all need to step your game up...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn outlasted Vinny Cerrato. Who would have expected that? I'm guessing its only by about 3 weeks, so Zorn might have a little extra spring in his step ... for about 3 more weeks

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This co_k sucking prick, Notorious suffers from DMV envy so damn much, he went back to his original post at 3:58, edited -- got a little cute with his lame ass attempts at insulting me and then re-posted that bull__it at 4:03.

Now if that isn't an obsession then what is? Either lunacy level obsession, or some self-serving, pompous, "oh look at my purrty RI post" deuchebaggery. Does this have to do with my "face boning your wife" post from yesterday afternoon?

If so, if it's any consolation, she wasn't that good.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Are you insane?

Posted by: zjfr2

Unnecessarily harsh.

New coach = JC likely gone = ANOTHER new system = likely rookie QB = another 2 years of being mediocre or worse.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

In an impending uncapped year (2010) pretty much any GM with an owner willing to spend LOTS of money on Free Agents, will look like a genius.

Look at Cashman on the Yankees, he has the money to MAKE MISTAKES and recover.

Bruce Allen isnt stupid.. I would guess it was HE who contacted Snyder about pulling the trigger now on Vinny and not waiting till the end of the season..... Over the last 3 years, player Contracts have been structured and timed in expectation of the 2010 uncapped prospect. And unemployed Head Coaches (Holmy, Shanny, Cowher, etc) have been saving themselves for that same reason.. to see where the money goes... And most see owners like Snyder and Jerry Jones becoming the "Steinbrenners" of an uncapped NFL, like the MLB.

So with a jump start on these last 3 games and personnel evaluation, Bruce can start lining up Free Agent moves quickly (and FA releases, too).

And when the signing period starts, and "uncapped" is confirmed, lookout..its going to be a "jailbreak" of GMs snapping up new Head Coaches and Free Agents...

++++++++++++++++++++++
acoberst1 wrote:

Posted by: acoberst1 | December 17, 2009 4:00 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

4th, maybe you're right. Time will tell. But have you considered the possibility thta Snyder is tired of losing and is willing to back off SOME? I mean, a zebra can't change its stripes, a jerk that attacks people on a blog is probably going to die a jerk, and Danny will always be a meddler; but if, come April 22nd, Bruce Allen is actually making the picks as GM, then we have made progress. I'm not saying that's a fait accompli; I'm saying that I don't think gleaning a modicum of hope from today's events is altogether naieve.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"Looking back at the Oakland Raiders/Tampa Bay draft classes it looks like Bruce Allen is an average talent evaluator. I hope he is going to hire a director of player personnel."

Hopefully a promotion for Mr. Brown, is in order. He has a knack for talent evaluation.

Posted by: forever8-8 | December 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, I think that guys are still playing very hard for JZ..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 3:54 PM

The guy can't coach for sh!t. They are not playing for the coach,....They are playing for their future income....Zorn just gets in the way.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Clark Judge is right on one thing...that Vinny was the front man for snyder.

IF Bruce Allen is the TRUE GM, and Snyder is out of the 'decidering' process, then today is, ahem, change I can believe in.
If Snyder is still part of it, then a great big "Whateves" to this new hire, and it'll be the same old [stuff].

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Allen is smart and will evaluate the front office, coaches, and players over the rest of the season. Zorn is likely gone as are most of his staff unless the new coach decides to keep someone. I doubt that Allen will want to lose JC and start over at QB as well with a rookie. Campbell has proven he can handle adversity and would give us stability with the TO likely on the offensive line and at RB.

I like that Snyder is on the hot seat now that he had Vinny be the fall guy. He can put everything in the past, but now he'll be judged for any decisions made in the Allen era. Next season shouldn't be about about competing for a Super Bowl but restoring some respectability to the franchise.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

4th....thanks. I've always wondered how that worked. We're truly fortunate to have someone with such sage wisdom to help us understand these things.

Why don't you consider changing your handle to Gloomy Gus? Jeezus, like anyone even thought Vinny had total autonomy.

Posted by: ksquare | December 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone on this blog be unhappy with this? I never remember anyone saying anything but Fire Cerrato for the longest time. I'm ecstatic about this.

Let's win out and ruin the seasons for NY and Dallas

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8 | December 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Second. All in favor vote aye. All opposed fagidaboudit!

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 4:18 PM

The worst part about this is....He may try to take playcalling away from Sherm Lewis!!

And I paid to get into the Cowgirls game....Please Zorn...Don't let me regret this!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Gruden and Shanahan both run variations of the west coast so it wouldn't be a complete overhaul. There is no need to keep Zorn unless he is just going to continue to be a figurehead and not calling any plays. Still as someone noted his insistence on keeping ARE in there and some of his game management is terrible. He should be a position coach or OC who does not call plays.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | December 17, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Red, I feel sorry for you. You're clearly not a happy person. I hope you find more meaning in your life than anonymously and aimlessly insulting people on a blog.

Go nuts bro and feel free to think I envy you. I assure you that even I am not that much of a masochist.

Get that hug before you go postal.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:16 PM

Of course your puppet analogy applies to the last 10 years.

As far as someone waking up...It was Snyder that has woken up. He's finally realized that after 10 plus years of making the same mistakes, being the only constant, and consistently losing that he he's ready to go the more traditional route.

Dude, take some Cipro, get rid of your UTI, and stop pissing on a Good Day.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

You have no idea whether that's true or not, you are speculating and personally, I'll sacrifice the mediocre QB who we don't know if he will ever good that we have to get rid of the terrible coach we know we have. Zorn is terrible and must go and whoever the new coach is he and Allen will evaluate JC and decide whether to move on or not. But Zorn must go.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I heart M. Brown...can I get an upgrade!

I cosign iH8dallas' last post....I am overjoyed and now am like a rabid dawg to beat giants/pukes/norv (no fear winns keep vinny...unleash hell!)

4Th didnt predict this so he is will act semi-annoyed at it...for historical reference see: Orakpo.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

And the pool boy?? Damn man, even you can do better than that

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You ever heard anyone say that?

If you have class, you say the right things...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 17, 2009 4:09 PM

I'm just not reading into it that way. He listed a couple of names and left Zorn off of it. Heck, based on what I have seen...and and heard...and read...Zorn seems to be a heckuva nice guy. A nice guy that seems to have the players behind him. And that's one quality of a good coach....but ONLY ONE.

I wanted Zorn to be successful as most others did, probably. But I believe it's now pretty obvious that he is TOTALLY NOT QUALIFIED TO BE A HEAD COACH. I will not list his deficiencies here as they have ben well documented. I'm also not necessarily advocating he gets tossed (another system, blah, blah, blah) BUT I would definitely be in favor of him staying and doing what he did previously- coach our QB. I don't think that's gonna fly, though.

Cerrato wasn't the problem. Zorn wasn't the problem...because he was hired when he wasn't qualified for the position. And while blame can be laid at Cerrato's feet on that one, we all know who, ultimately, said yes to that one...Snyder.

I still think Cerrato said all the right things on the way out. It was a "classy" statement.

THis organization will never change until we hear, and see for ourselves, that Snyder is now taken the step of staying in the golf cart and the office, and just writes the checks. We'll cheer our ass@s off for the team, the organization...and even 'lil Danny when he hoists the trophy...just like we did for Mr. Cooke.

Posted by: BigDeck | December 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Zorn can get paid to throw medicine balls at JC in training camp. And water the slip and slide that they practice sliding with.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

15 puppets in one post, 4th! That's a record that's likely to stand for a long, long time.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen was stuck in the NFL offices since being fired from Tamp Bay....

Have you ever asked yourself, Why?

This dude is a savvy politician that will let Snyder operate his digs like he wants, but under a better cloak where you can't tell what's what.

Like Clark Judge said....Vinny did too many good things as of late.....Snyder was the one having dinner with Speck, HAynesworth's agent....You think Vinny wanted HAynesworth? No buddy. If Bruce was in the same position, do you think he could have prevented it from happening? If he did, he'd be fired.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I can't in good faith root against us under any circumstances. Not in my DNA. But worse things could happen than beating Gints and Boys, then losing to the Bolts. In a three week period we snuff out our two biggest rivals' playoff hopes and then lock up a top 10 pick (say it with me again- Russell Okung). Of course he might be gone in Top 5...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2 - I didn't say he necessarily has to keep Zorn. I said I hope he gives them a fair assessment, meaning he hasn't already made his mind up.

Our team is playing very well recently. Is it because of Zorn or in spite of it? Will we get better or worse if we get rid of Zorn? You don't know the answer any more than I do.

Thats why I said, hopefully he gives them a fair shake. I trust his decision.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 17, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

4th please....you didn't "book" this move...now you are in full spin mode.....just stop.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

4th, you're my boy and all....but shouldn't we all just reserve judgment on the guy, at least until after the draft? I think we'll see pretty soon what this guy is made of and if he has any real decision-making authority or if he's just Vinny 2.0...I tend to think/hope it's the former, but again it's way too early to deride or praise his hiring.

HOWEVER, it's not at all too early to rejoice over Cerrato's sorry a$$ being sent packing.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

What's the rookie sack record that Kearse holds? Like 16 or something?.....I would love to see Orakpo get that

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The all knowing Clark Judge. Now I have heard it all. Even if Cerrato did some good things, his ignoring of the offensive line every year along with his hiring of Zorn is plenty to get fired. Even if he wanted to lay on the blame on Zorn.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | December 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:30 PM

Dude...

Are you on your period. Mix in some cranberry juice, it's a natural diuretic and will eliminate some of that bloat.

Getting rid of Vinny and hiring Allen is a huge step in the right direction.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

my quick analysis agrees those who noted Bruce Allen's draft's have been so-so. On the upside, he prefers drafting along the lines. More to come on that. With high and mid-level picks, Allen uses picks along the lines nearly 4 times as often as Vinny did.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Dude, take some Cipro, get rid of your UTI, and stop pissing on a Good Day.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 4:26 PM

Wake up people!! Take the blue pill! (or was it red)

Vinnie is still on the Payroll as a consultant! This move was decided 10 DAYS AGO! Vinnie is in on it!

Danny told Vinnie...the fans want blood and he was the only one worthy to be sacrificed! He was...And you see what happened!

F That....Prove to me when next season starts....Y'all are just over the top with this supposed joyous occassion....

Cl - I stated No to Orakpo as a LB...And so far I have been right...He gave up most of the key TDs/1st downs in the 1st half of the season.....Lately he plays DE more and more...And Orakpo said it himself on LaVar's show that he's gonna finally do what he does best...Play DE...and he said he thinks he can be a one of the best DEs in the league..

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse
I would love to see draft picks across the lines every year. At least we have a chance of drafting an OL in the first round this year. I'll even take a 1st rd RB and then the best avai. OL in the 2nd.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You ever heard anyone say that?

If you have class, you say the right things...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 17, 2009 4:09 PM

Posted by: BigDeck | December 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

It's not a big deal, true, but Cerrato pushed for Zorn, and specifically leaving him out of the comments at the end of his career is just kind of petty = lack of class.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 17, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I just listened to him on the John Thompson show, he talked about the opportunity to have 3 games to evaluate things, that he's not going to rush into anything, that he is looking forward to getting to know Zorn and the rest of the front office staff, and he's excited about returning the Skins to glory and that "I have the responsibility for running the organization". That all sounds great to me.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 3:39 PM

Me too. There is a lot to like about this ... but something just feels like The Owner has done this before ... pulled a plash move when the fan base is despising him most for his meddling in the football part of the "football business." He reaches into the team's past and pulls out a nugget to distract everyone ... just like he did with Gibbs v.2. For this reason alone, I think they will hold off a year or two before bringing in Doug Williams ... just wait till its necessary to bring in another distraction.

Also, I am on crack and do think Zorn should come back to fill out his contract ... so the team can keep the same offensive philosophy for longer than it takes to go through a gallon of milk. Frankly, keep everything just like it is right now ... Zorn, Lewis, Smith, and Bugel ... only get ready to replace Bugel because he is the most important position coach ... because offensive line is the most important position to win the running game on a regular basis ... which you have to do to win games (run the ball to win the game, throw the ball to score points). Bugel is getting on in year, so keep him for as long as he wants to coach, but get an assistant underneath him ready to step up when called. Depth and offensive line are not used regularly in DC, at player or at coach. [Also, keep Hunter Smith, Danny Smith, Graham Gano ... and go back to the well on return men.]

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If we keep JC because we can't find anything remotely better I can live with as long as we draft OL #1. But could you imagine the DL and D as a whole with Ndamukong Suh. We definately have more pressing needs but I couldn't pass on that guy.

I gotta go cause I got me a drop top and if I hit the switch, I can make the azz drop

Posted by: AnthonyMix | December 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

if Suh is available, you draft him, I think.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 17, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice first day.. But Allen has to make changes for this team to be successful. It has gone from 9-7 (4 of those wins belong to Collins)to 8-8 to 4-9.. Team is going in the wrong direction. Right after the season Allen needs to send Zorn, Campbell and Portis packing. Redskins must purge itself of the people most associated with losing here..

Posted by: sovine08 | December 17, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow this guy impressed me a lot with his words. I mean seriously does he not sound like a grown up? He's not coming in with a plan, he's going to look at the situation, THEN make the plan. I think that is smart. I almost want to pinch myself thinking this was wrong

Posted by: Veretax | December 17, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

The future is yesterday.

Posted by: gmuhokie2009 | December 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

keep campbell and hire sherm lewis as head coach let zorn go.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 17, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Fire Zorn, Campbell, Portis and both Sherm's... we've had enough losing around here. Skins need a new HC and a new QB to run the new system.. Though wouldn't mind them keeping Colt Brennan to see what the kid can do when healthy.

Posted by: sovine08 | December 17, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I predict that if the team doesn't go 3-0 in its last games, Allen will be fired!!

Posted by: vjo1 | December 17, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

It is truly a GREAT DAY to be a Skins fan. Those of you who (rightly) worry that the tiny tyrant will turn Bruce Allen into another shoe-shine boy, I say LET US ENJOY THE DAY! It's an early Christmas present to know that the bug-eyed halfwit is gone, but before I even get the wrapping off you guys have to remind me that Snyder is still here? Thanks a lot.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | December 17, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

If Allen's job as GM of the Bucs included having final say over the draft, and if he has that power with the Redskins, Washington is in for a major disappointment. The Bucs drafting during Allen's tenure was abominable.

Posted by: Henry5 | December 17, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back to the Skins Bruce, make us proud!

Dan, I liked the tenor of today's news conference, that must have been hard to step back some and swallow some pride, after ten years. As a fellow Washingtonian, I appreciate your passion & willingness to give the team the resources whenever it's needed. For that, I say Thank You.

Posted by: Max231 | December 17, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

God skins fans are such suckers

Allen was with Gruden in Oakland and with Gruden in Tampa, wanna take a guess at who will be the next Redskin Coach?

Gruden's claim to fame is he took Tony Dungy's team to the Superbowl and then screwed up Tampa and got fired. Look where the Bucks are today

God another 10 years of crappy football.

Posted by: kathymac1 | December 17, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

hehehe
don't get your panties in a tizzy Kathy!

Posted by: Max231 | December 17, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Why do these blogs always seem to say that Snyder somehow should be or could be fired?
Or future coaches and GM's will be watching him closely. NFL is a plum job and Snyder has big bank -- just ask Schotty or Spurrier.

Give him a billion and I'm sure he'd walk away. Otherwise you have no say in anything besides those tickets that you continue to buy. You'll show him.

Posted by: hc2254 | December 17, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo will not break Kearse's record.

Posted by: mark65 | December 18, 2009 1:48 AM | Report abuse