Allen: 'We're going 100 mph getting ready for free agency'

In case there was any doubt, Redskins fans can expect to see a very different product on the field next season.

"We are going to have a new style of defense, we are going to have a new style of offense," general manager Bruce Allen said today on ESPN 980.

"It's going to be Redskins football, and the pieces we can acquire this year will be the first steps to building that philosophy."

Allen made his comments during an in-person appearance on "The John Thompson Show," this afternoon in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Allen made a quick visit to radio row at the Super Bowl media center, making stops by the ESPN 980 table and the Sirius booth.

He offered few specifics but when he was asked about Clinton Portis' status with the team, Allen noted that the running back has met with Coach Mike Shanahan, and "we're looking forward to seeing Clinton help us win," Allen said.

Allen said he's meeting with officials from other teams in south Florida, formulating early trade ideas and plans for this fall's roster. "We're going 100 miles an hour getting ready for free agency," Allen said.

What the team hasn't figured out -- or at least isn't ready to disclose -- is what it plans to do with that No. 4 draft pick.

"We have a little time on that," Allen said. "We really have enjoyed the process so far of lining up our draft board. Our college scouts are in Washington right now, meeting. We've got our full coaching staff together, so it's an exciting time for us."

By Rick Maese  |  February 4, 2010; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill Dudley, ex-UVa. star, former Redskin, dies at 88
Next: Redskins prepare for season with and without a salary cap

Comments

Going to be a good year I think

Posted by: CheyenneWY | February 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

100mph just does not sound safe to me.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

REVISED COMMENT:
Colt Brennan not McCoy!

Each draft slot is assigned a value. #4 is worth Seattle's two 1st round picks. They want "THEIR" QB. They will trade with us to get #4.
We take OT Okung and OG Mike Iupati with the 2 picks.

We trade Cooley for a mid-high 1st rd pick and we draft OT Trent Williams or Ducasse for the R tackle spot. In free agency sign both RB Chester Taylor and Darren Sproles as the 3rd down back and we give Colt Brennan his chance.

With our 2nd round pick,we take a center, Maurkice Pouncey Florida 6-5 318.
4th round, take a backup QB in case Colt doesn't fit.
Trade Albert Haynesworth for SF ONE 1st rd pick and draft S Taylor Mays Southern Cal 6-3 230 4.45 plays like the great Sean Taylor #21
OT Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts 6-5 330 for rotation. To fill the hole left with Albert gone, sign free agent NT Vince Wilfork from the Patriots. Albert wasn't the player he should have been. There, with one draft, I have rebuilt this team to be a superbowl team. We end up with 4 first round picks. It's UNCAPPED, SNYDER can spend anything HE WANTS!
One more thing-I KNOW THAT the #4 pick is a waste FOR US(REDSKINS) on a hit or miss QB! There is no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or even dare I say it, Troy Aikman in this draft! Trade the pick and pic up our Oline!
Are you listening Shanny? This is what I would do if I were GM...
I have been consistently right on who I would have picked in the last few years drafts.
First- I would have taken Adrian Peterson instead of Laron Landry
I would have taken Chris Johnson when we had the opportunity.
and about those football genius's who run the team-they have been drafting failures-I could have done better than them!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

OMG! They're going to trade Cooley! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

First of all-Einstein flunked high school algebra and all his teachers said he would not amount to anything!
Second-Seattle has said it wants to move up in the draft to get "their" QB.
Third- a TE like Cooley is worth a late first rounder and someone would jump on it
Fourth- Free agency goes to whomever spends enough do Snyder will go after what he wants-and who would better fit our RB solution than Taylor and Sproles?
Fifth-Okay maybe Al won't go to SF for 2 #1's but a #1 and #2 next year
Sixth- Al is not the answer as a NT- again free agency Snyder gets Wilfork and while Snyder is at it-he can buy Julius Peppers-he will spend money!
Finally-if we were to get those #1 picks, which really is possible with Shanny- the order of those picks would dictate the players I stated, MAYS, POUNCEY, DUCASSE!
WAIT AND WATCH WHAT SHANNY DOES...HE DID IT IN DENVER!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Just take the draft seriously by drafting positions that are needed and not wanted.

Posted by: BacktoGlory | February 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

kurt, I'm shocked that you're able to log onto a computer, the first time you posted it was getting the benefit of doubt that you were trying to be funny, now that you've posted it twice, it just proves you're galactically stupid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

TOLD YOU! YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE ME! IT's GOING TO HAPPEN! PEPPERS, TAYLOR, SPROLES, WILFORK, AND THE DRAFT PICK......HERE IT COMES!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | February 4, 2010; 3:14 PM ET
Categories: Bruce Allen , Mike Shanahan
----------------------------------------
Can any of you imagine Vinny Cerrato "meeting with officials from other teams"? Vinny had no relationship with any other teams and that was part of the reason why he couldn't cut a deal that didn't screw the team over.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

First- I would have taken Adrian Peterson instead of Laron Landry
I would have taken Chris Johnson when we had the opportunity.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

why would you draft AP AND Chris Johnson?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | February 4, 2010; 3:14 PM ET

Okay, but how's he gonna do that? By running the ball or by clearing his roster spot for someone else. Maybe we can trade him for a second round pick? Did anyone think to ask Allen about this?

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So what's the deal with restricted free agency again? Its just a matter of making an offer to a guy that the other team can beat or decline but instead take a draft pick? How does this work to make a "very different product" if the Skins only have 5 draft picks? Do we just hope that the Skins RFAs get offers that we decline and turn into draft picks, with we can use to make offers to guys on other teams who don't want to match our offer? Sounds like a little collusion would be required ... why not just trade?

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM

Look, Cork could have done better. That doesn't make either of you qualified for the job. You set the bar pretty low.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Heard you guys are about to get hammered by snow out there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | February 4, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a little collusion would be required ... why not just trade?

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Because that's exactly what they'd be expecting!

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | February 4, 2010; 3:14 PM ET

Posted by: League-Source

I was thinking how vague that sounded. To a person who takes everything at face-value they'll be led to believe that Portis will be back next season.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Kurt

We all love Cooley but do you really think he is worth a first round pick. A few years ago Shockey was traded for a second rounder and so was Gonzalez this past offseason. To think the skins are get anything more than a second for Cooley is a reach

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

diesel44

"You people should read more than your own posts."

I read: twisi, ...

Now, back to reading my own posts ...

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 3:21 PM

Now doubt that TWISI is a 100% satisfaction guaranteed read. For all the wasted reading up here (I do read everything ... except for those by Priest Holmes' agent ... who make it easy to skip b/c he does html indents ... he's just that awesome), TWISI always gives good post ... wait, that didn't sound right.

Back to this "100 mph free agency" bizniz ... that sounds so crazy given how few guys are UFA ... unless there is going to be a mass purge (of vets with big, unguaranteed contracts ... in which case, I call collusion again) or Bruce Allen has figured out some crazy Stratego version of how to do magic in restricted free agency.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

For all the DMV'ers:

We have to be in the eye of this snow storm right now. I was just outside and it doesn't feel cold at all.

By this time tomorrow, we're going to be geting dumped on.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Maurkice Pouncey-- Excellent choice to replace Rabach, a little taller and about 20lbs heavier

Joe Haden- We arent getting this guy, he will be the 1st corner off the board as tehe unanimous #1 CB in the draft.

Ryan Stamper- Feel he will be a bargain for whoever gets him, he has to be projected 3-4th rd

Carlos Dunlap- He will more than likely not make it out of the 1st round even with his little "I passed out at a green light in Gainesville.

Darren Sharpton?? Al's younger nephew??

Brandon Spikes- He will go in the first as well, if he fell to the second, that would be a deal. Fell off after the Georgia eye-gouge game, still confused why that seemed to affect his play

Did I forget anybody?

Jermaine Cunningham- Under rated, has a good motor, played in the shadow of the other LB's on the team.

Aaron Hernandez- I love the way this guy plays tight end, hard runner and breaks tackles, seems more of a recieving type TE than a blocking TE, but a hell of a receiver for a TE.

And please don't drop in #15: his day is done.

Or is it?

As hard as it is for me to say, he is going to have to fall into a perfect situation in order to do well. I see him either coaching or going into politics. The NFL doesnt seem to be his cup o' tea.

I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I dont know if there is a perfect situation for him in the NFL right now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

I think everybody hates somebody on this board....

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

From what I remember hearing, Soup is a RFA and if he is offered and we let him go his compensation is a 1st rd pick.

Posted by: duncanrobee | February 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

... why not just trade?

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Because that's exactly what they'd be expecting!

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2010 3:38 PM

"... Our chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear, fear and surprise. Our TWO weapons are fear and surprise, and ruthless efficiency. Our THREE weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical dedication to the pope. Our FOUR ... No ... Amongst our weapons ... Amongst our weaponry are such elements as fear, sur- ... I'll come in again."

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I think everybody hates somebody on this board....

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 3:48 PM

...but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

If we really decide to trade that 4 pick to Seattle so they can get "their QB", we are in good shape. Take your OT first, then another, then get a 2nd rd QB, a 4th Rd RB(Blount) and then I will cry tears of joy.

As far as FA I'm really not sure what to expect from this new regime. I'm still shell shocked from being Vinnie bombed for so long. I still see Jason Taylor and Adam Archuletta in my dreams, and wake up in a cold sweat. If somehow(I don't know how) we could get Julius Peppers, then awesome, all for it. But in FA I would much rather see a safety or a good reciever come our way.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Honestly Kurt if that could happen from what yu stated i would be happy with that but i really want Spiller and Tebow in there somewhere

But most of the things yu said waz juss fantasy!!

Posted by: PardenMiSwage | February 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

For all the DMV'ers:

By this time tomorrow, we're going to be geting dumped on.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

For you Red

It is supposed to start tomorrow at 10 am

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Must be a busy day at the ACLU offices, Chia_Pet hasn't complained about any offensive posts yet.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that we have almost no trade-bait.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | February 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't mess with me! Cooley for a first round draft pick. uhhh...yeah. Oh I had that dream the other night.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think everybody hates somebody on this board ...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 3:48 PM

Lou: Eskimos seem nice.

Chuck: I think Eskimos are smug.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Was a DE, sorry.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

OPM has already issued the "Unscheduled Leave" policy...

It being Friday tomorrow, should I, or shouldn't I???

Hopefully it will change tomorrow morning to: CLOSED

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that we have almost no trade-bait.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | February 4, 2010 3:52 PM

Problem is that the only ones you can trade are the ones you don't want to trade, e.g., Orakpo.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, they may be taking a snow day.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

let me get this out first..... I am a die hard skins fan but Same gift, different wrapping.... we have heard this before. honestly, if they do not deal or rid themselves of Clinton, we will be stuck with him for the next 3-4 years. His salary is a huge cap liability (when a new collective bargaining agreement is in place). We have had the same talent for the last 6 years and our best record was 9-7! It's time to start trading or purging the dead weight in terms of age/salary. Our number 1 receiver is 5-9 and when covered, cannot catch a cold. Our number 2 or slot reciever is 5-10 and fair catches everything. Our twin 2nd round receivers can't run routes and can't catch. The only person that was productive, until injury, is rumored to being shopped. With all the flashy new scoreboards and fancy talk of the future starts now..... its the same shhtty product, only buffed, waxed and re-wrapped. I ask fans to be realistic and stop dreaming of super bowls and playoff appearances. I think with my head and not with my heart, if we dont trim the fat with our roster, we wont win 6 next year and we will all be wondering why??? Put it in the book!

Posted by: rvanags | February 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Lock out in 2011 - book it.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 4, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

OPM has already issued the "Unscheduled Leave" policy...

It being Friday tomorrow, should I, or shouldn't I???

Hopefully it will change tomorrow morning to: CLOSED

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Ever notice the HR people who issue those things are always the first out the door?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, they may be taking a snow day.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

or computer broke from clicking "Report abuse" too many times yesterday.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Chia_Pet hasn't complained about any offensive posts yet.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 4, 2010 3:51 PM

His family may have had him committed.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Second-Seattle has said it wants to move up in the draft to get "their" QB.
Fifth-Okay maybe Al won't go to SF for 2 #1's but a #1 and #2 next year
WAIT AND WATCH WHAT SHANNY DOES...HE DID IT IN DENVER!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

hahahahaha, this guy is a true Madden GM. Pick up Peppers and Wilfork? LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ. Taylor Mays???? LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ We don't need a Taylor Mays!!! LOLZ LOLZ And to think anyone is going to want to trade for Big Al??? LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"They usually want a baller and the young n***a ballin' Mike Jordan PardenMiSwage, but my father rich as fu_k and all my brothers left the family..."

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

OPM has already issued the "Unscheduled Leave" policy...

It being Friday tomorrow, should I, or shouldn't I???

Hopefully it will change tomorrow morning to: CLOSED

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you can bet on that. Nothing is going to be open tomorrow. Not even Wally World. Well, maybe Wally World, that place would be open for business during the Armageddon.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

First- I would have taken Adrian Peterson instead of Laron Landry
I would have taken Chris Johnson when we had the opportunity.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM
------------------------------------------
I would have picked Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss and a whole team full of picks because I am voyaclarant: I can predict the past!!! I predict the Pittsburgh Steelers will win last year's Superbowl! I predict Vinny Cerrato will get fired in 2009! Someone stop me, I am having a flurry of visions...

Dude. Despite your neurosis, the Redskins will not leave the draft with fifteen first round draft picks. You can't even pull that off in Madden. Please don't bring out the people with burning torches and pitchforks because you refuse to get a handle on reality. Chill. Step into the light. There you go. Now isn't that better?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 4, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Source.

Still here.

You all keep doing your thang.

Fargin' highlarious.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that we have almost no trade-bait.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | February 4, 2010 3:52 PM

Andre Carter. One of the TEs. One of the DTs. One of the WRs. Its a matter of being creative with the deeper spots on the roster, esp. that you can package as more than a ham sandwich.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

matt, they're the first ones in the know.

I got two places to go this evening: The grocery store and the ABC store.

This woman on the news said the other night that she needed "a bottle of Chardonnay and toilet paper"...

That was the funniest thing I head on the news in a long time.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

oh and I banged your mama!

haha!

and Tony Homo did too.

hehe!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Madden GM indeed.

WTH? Taylor Mays is Laron Ladry part 2.

Big Al has a 100 million dollar contract. Nobody, I mean nobody will take over his contract AND give up draft pick compensation.

Cooley won't go for a first rounder. Why would you give up a first rounder for Chris Cooley when you could just draft Jermaine Gresham or Andrew Quarless?

I'm surprised he didn't throw in BETTS FOR A SECOND ROUNDER!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Bigfoot_has_a_posse, in the upcoming outbidding wars, it doesn't seem crazy to me that the Skins could pick up both an untagged Peppers and an untagged Wilfork ... the question is whether they could keep the rest of the roster if there is ever a salary cap again AFTER next year.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

That was the funniest thing and I give head on the news.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM

---------

hehe!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

dc, wilfork is getting tagged....he wont walk for nothing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 4, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

oh and I banged your mama!

haha!

and Tony Homo did too.

hehe!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM
-----------------------------------------
See, now you are just frontin'. There's no vitriol in your slams. After watching on the sidelines I am just truly disappointed that you surrendered so quickly. I fully expected this full out exchange between you and Red to carry us into the weekend. What am I going to do for entertainment now?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 4, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

finger banged your mama...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Worst Plain Cheeseburger
Five Guys Cheeseburger (plain)
840 calories
55 g fat (22.5 g saturated)
1,050 mg sodium

If that's wrong, then I don't want to be good.
----------------------------------
Taylor Mays didn't have half the collegiate career that LL had.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's true. It just seems like such a Snyder move. I was kind of exaggerating because that one dude was posting all types of nonsense.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

What am I going to do for entertainment now?

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Tomorrow, me and a few of the homies are going to run back the clock about 10-15 years and play football -- TACKLE football.

I'm kinda geekin' about it, I can't lie. I haven't played football in a few years.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

looks like the coach likes Portis. How do you haters* like that? How's the, "I know soooo much about football" ego?
Smiles, pab

*does not imply actual hatred

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't get a cheeseburger from Five Guys and not get bacon on it.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

red, have fun, I did that about 3-4 years ago, and I consider myself to be in good shape, I was sore as I've ever been the next day....I hurt in places I didn't know existed...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 4, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

____
If Skins keep Portis they can't keep Campbell. Because they might say they made up but the didn't.. Portis called JC out.. said he wasn't a leader.. and he was right!!! Can't help but notice Shanahan or Allen hasn't said a thing about keeping Campbell. I believe Zorn by his second day declared Campbell his starter. JC also in a interview when asked if he wanted to be the Redskins QB didn't say yes. Can only hope Shanahan is smart enough to realize for the Redskins to be successful JC must go..

Posted by: sovine08 | February 4, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Everytime I see Red write Finger bang this is what I think of.....

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't get a cheeseburger from Five Guys and not get bacon on it.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:37 PM

No doubt, I was just researching my lunch and forgot to add the bacon. Turns out it I need to add a few hundred calories and grams of fat.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by consuming meat. I know how sensitive everyone is..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I broke my rule and had a Five Guys burger for lunch today.

I thought I'd be OK if I left the fries alone but judging by the way I feel right now, my a-hole is gonna be a log flume by 6pm.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm just siced about playing football in the snow... under the lights too... 11 on 11.

As Joe Swanson would say: "BRING IT OOOHHHHHHHNNN!"

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I can't get a cheeseburger from Five Guys and not get bacon on it.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:37 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

You offset the bad stuff by getting a diet coke and lettuce, tomato and onion on the burger.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I dont think we know what Shanahan/Allen are thinking when it comes to Portis or JC. They are saying all the right things in coach speak so as to keep their options open. If they decide they want Portis they should release him and bring him back at a reasonable price.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Make sure there's a good 12 inches of snow on the ground. It hurts less when you fall and its keeps the beer cold on the sideline.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | February 4, 2010 4:41 PM

What do you expect? They haven't said they're keeping anyone (including Portis), and they shouldn't say anything until they absolutely have to. What advantage do they gain by tipping their hand now? They would like to have every team in the league believe they regard every player on the Redskins to be one of the top five in the League.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 4:47 PM

Water and no fries.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

you're an awful person and you should be ashamed you consume meat. How dare you. Anyone feel like going to get some wings and look at strippers boobs bounce around?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Bruce needs to update his references. A Bugatti Veyron will go 252 MPH, according to Top Gear.

Posted by: TheCork | February 4, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Is there Cosmic Cantina in the DMV?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Yes, of course. But that’s only because I use the tried and true “20/20 Hindsight” approach to the draft, as do many other successful draft Gurus here.

Posted by: TheCork | February 4, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, z. There will be snow on the ground. Should be a lot of it, KICKOFF is at 6 PM tomorrow night.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Dude! You're not supposed to eat at the stripclub. That's sad

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse |

Um, Bigfoot? Neither chicken wings nor strippers' boobs are technically meat. They arte, respectively, chicken and Saline solution.

Posted by: TheCork | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Man you could have 16" of snow by that time. That is going to be one sloooooooow game. Fun, but super slow. The fat boys out there with you will be licking their chops. Mother Nature is a great equalizer.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Dude! You're not supposed to eat at the stripclub. That's sad

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse |

Posted by: TheCork | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

lol. some of them are real! They told me! hahaha. mmmmmm I love me some strip club wings. Chics n Wings in Tysons is damn good though. Not a strip club though.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hope you got some hardcore cleats, Red, cuz tackle in the snow is a moot point. Dude with the ball is going to slip on the ground immediately and then cats just pile on.

Posted by: p1funk | February 4, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

So Red, will we see the video on youtube?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 4, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:32 PM |

Is this guy really perineum or sports_guru? Maybe poolman without the rascism? What a large bag of butholes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

So Red, will we see the video on youtube?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 4, 2010 5:09 PM

youtube? Gonna be on the NFL Network.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

You never know, but I'm liking portis and campbells chances, plus I wanted to stir the pot if gossiping hens disguised as football fans

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 4, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I'm getting a little jealous about the snow thing. We had one early snowstorm and a few cold snaps, but otherwise it's been really mild out here... enjoy yourselves and be safe.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 4, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

De Smith (players union head) just said the obvious ... that's its virtually impossible to go back to a capped system after going uncapped. Maybe its not technically impossible, but as a practical matter, if the owners (who can) want to pay too much for some guys and those guys want to keep getting it, then neither side (well, the parts of either side that have the money) will never agree to cutting back the rest of the roster to get back in under a cap. Welcome to Major League Baseball!

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 4, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Agreed - I want a snow day

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 4, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Taylor Mays == may end up playing LB in the NFL. USC says they had a heck of a time keeping him from going to 250+. Ronnie Lott thinks he's a great safety. Certainly has the physical attributes, question is can he learn to play the position? One good sign was the pick in the Senior Bowl, when as Mays put it, "instead of trying to take dude's head off, I went for the ball". If he does that consistently, he's got a long career ahead of him. Much more physical at the point of attack than LL.

Wow, Ed Wang look just awful at the Senior Bowl. A guard, maybe.

Wonder what kind of surprise the Lipless Wonder Mike Shanahan is cooking up? Somehow, I don't see the WCO as "Redskins football".

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 4, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Agreed - I want a snow day

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 4, 2010 5:33 PM

This is shaping up to be more like a snow week.

Posted by: 4-12 | February 4, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Ray's Hell Burgers are much better than 5 Guys.

I get Cajun spiced with bone marrow, cheese, tomato and onions. Sauteed mushrooms and a dill pickle spear on the side....mmmmm

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 4, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 4, 2010 5:52 PM |

Was wondering the same thing...

Gotta say it's kinda fun reading all this scenarios that solve all of our problems in one off season. Good science fiction.

Posted by: edvar | February 4, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Ray's Hell Burgers are much better than 5 Guys.

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 4, 2010 5:59 PM |

I can't imagine that there is any burger that is MUCH better. A burger can only be so good and 5 guys are pretty good. Having said that, now I must find out for myself.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry but who is Taylor?

Posted by: potsy536 | February 4, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | February 4, 2010 5:59 PM

Where is Ray's Hell Burgers and have you ever had 5 guys?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry but who is Taylor?

Posted by: potsy536 | February 4, 2010 6:19 PM |

I believe he is refering to Taylor Mays, S, USC

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Ray's Hell Burgers are in Arlington.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: duncanrobee

ABSOLUTELY! We make out on that deal.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Allen is keeping everything close to the vest and hasn't decided to start his own radio show. However, its still wait and see. The snakely hand of Snidely could still appear.

Cooley does not have 1st round value, he was on the IR last year, didn't make the Pro Bowl, and has admitted himself that he prefers to let Fred Davis do the blocking. Take the 2nd or 3rd and consider it a done deal.

I don't care about Allen's Redskin football. I know what his father meant by that ... what does he mean by it? I care more about whether they start drafting and acquiring offensive lineman, some real cornerbacks, and a kicker.

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: duncanrobee

ABSOLUTELY! We make out on that deal

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 6:34 PM |

Let the bufoonary begin!!! Now we'll get a 1st for Campbell!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Wrong again, a>?holio primo. You twit. I told you what would happen this season and you threw a tantrum. And painted your bald spot just like Larry King. What a moron ... knows zip about football or anything else for that matter. Imbecile.
And by the way it wasn't me. And noooo unlike shanahanman, kurt I do not think we would "make out" letting Campbell go.

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to get a prediction wrong when you make 4 different ones taint boy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

There were only two, 5-11 and 4-12 and I stated the whys and wherefores ... No Shawn Springs, No MWash, a joke for an offensive line. Eat s*it and die dude because I was right all along.

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Dudes and Dudettes: This draft is going to be the most talent loaded drat since the 1983 draft with Elway, Marino, etc. The juniors have declared because next year the cap will hit the rookies hard so we need to do everything to assure we get as many high draft picks as possible! I say trade Cooley, Portis for whatever we get and anyone else except Orakpo and a few others. In free agency you pay out the wazoo for Peppers and the studs! Most teams do not spend(cheap) and will not match Snyder's money. We need all the players I stated and more! Taylor Mays is needed like Sean Taylor was needed. We need to be aggressive this year because there won't be another like this year...Remember most teams will not put out the cash-Snyder will!!!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

First duuuude, Taylor Mays is not the top safety Berry is. Second we tried paying out the wazoo for "studs", his name is Big Al Haynesworth. And oh your replacement for shutdown corner Shawn Springs was Mr. No tackle Hall. So ... last I looked your strategy did not work, and will not work.

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

And there is no way you can trade Portis with his salary, his bone spurs, and history of concussions.

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Au contraire tainty the clown. Remember that wiki page? There was a reason I made it, I knew you were a giant liar and here's the proof:

see 5 wins 11 losses.

Best case scenario: 6W-10L.
Posted by: periculum | April 14, 2009 8:42 PM

7-9, 6-10. Unless the too many things that need to go right happen, in other words: a miracle happens.
Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

And apparently you do not let Campbell just go ... you yank him back with a qualifying offer and they you do a trade. If he must go throw Cooley in and get more than one high draft pick if possible.

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

...and the best part? You're 4th prediction was made AFTER the season had started and we were like 6 games in:

My prediction was 4-12. Because well before the season all the signs pointed to Thomas and Samuels not making it through 16 games. And then what? Man, how is it that you couldn't see that?

Posted by: periculum | October 13, 2009 10:16 PM |

..and you even tried to lie then. Gotta love that wiki you phukfaced a$$ball.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Read the qualifying phrase afterword instead of painting your bald spot, "in other words, a miracle happens" meaning I did not think it was possible for them to even come close to those marks unless the "miracle" in the form of BMW happened. It didn't. Still busy painting the bald spot and sniffing after bad tuna aren't you?

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: duncanrobee

NFL RULES STATE THAT IF A RESTRICTED FREE AGENT IS SIGNED FROM A TEAM, THE FORFEITING TEAM WILL GET A COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICK FROM THE ROUND HE WAS TAKEN IN--SOUP WAS TAKEN IN ROUND ONE THEREBY WE GET A FIRST ROUND PICK IN 2011-SIMPLE OR DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS?

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

You smegma speckled condom sucker you know I was right and it gets to you ... waaaaay deep down ... now doesn't it scramblebrain?

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone getting a little touchy about the lies they told? You sound like Obama. What a phukin loser you are. You are no longer worth the energy. You may now go back to spanking it with a thumb up your a$$. I can't believe you have the nerve to even show up around here after the huge fraud you have been shown to be. No credibility...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

The best case scenario for any trade for JC would be St. Louis. That way they could draft Suh with their 1st and draft another impact player with their 2nd and trade their 3rd to us for JC.

Tenders can be altered and I don’t see anyone giving up a 2nd for an unproven guy with a 23-32 career record.

I’d take that trade and roll with either Josh McCown, J.P. Losman, or Charlie Batch and draft a QB next year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

100mph just does not sound safe to me.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 4, 2010 3:26 PM |

It is when you gots AH at the wheel.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 4, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 6:59 PM

I'm no blog bully, but your wrong yet again.

The compensation is set by the tender placed on the RFA. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player.

Top tender- 1st & 3rd
2nd tender- 1st
3rd tender- 2nd
4th tender- Determined by RFA's original draft status

Now go back to your sweet, sweet, stinky weed.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Stop talking about yourself in the third person numbnuts, someone might think you are psycho. I note that toward the end of the season YOU were no where to be found. Hiding because you painted your bald spot pink with smegma dots?

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 6:59 PM

I'm no blog bully, but your wrong yet again.

Top tender- 1st & 3rd
2nd tender- 1st
3rd tender- 2nd
4th tender- Determined by RFA's original draft status

Now go back to your sweet, sweet, stinky weed.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:14 PM
________________________________

Aren't you both saying the same thing. If the Skins offer him any of the first two tender amounts they get a first round pick. If they offer him the 4th, they will still get a first round pick because that is where Campbell was taken. The only way they don't is if they offer him the 3rd tender amount, which they won't do.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Look out everyone...he's learned a new word. Be prepared to read it ad infinitum.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM |

Au contraire. You are more than welcome to eat my meat anytime you want.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 4, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 7:21 PM

No. I'm stating the rules and half baked has spent the last 3 days in a stupor.

Read my 7:05 post.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 4:43 PM |

Au contraire. You are more than welcome to eat my meat anytime you want.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 4, 2010 7:24 PM |

Good one. I'll pass because I'm more a fan of tacos.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:26 PM

I didn't see anything at 7:05 about draft compensation for signing a RFA but that's ok, I see your point about "half baked". RE: your 7:05 post, you're joking about Losman and Batch right? I think Garcia comes here in the offseason personally. He has a history with Allen and knows the West Coast offense inside and out. He would be a much better stop gap then the above and could compete with Campbell if they do bring him back.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

'The Future Is Now!' said the team that won't be any good.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | February 4, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010

Have you and your bald spot have been spending waaaay too much time at the BSDM sex castle in Bethesda? Too many cat-o-nines up your rump with too many tubes down the old throat?

Posted by: periculum | February 4, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I love your theory! Too add to that, what would make it even sweeter is if a team like Buffalo (maybe Oakland) wanted Bradford or Clausen and were willing to move up with the Skins for a 3rd rounder to get them. Two 3rd rounders would be great, and its not out of the realm of possibility that this might happen. And believe it or not, Batch can be a very solid stop gap QB for a couple of yrs. When Raplesburger went down a couple of seasons ago, Batch was impressive..till he got hurt too.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbel

WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Garcia also a good candidate..

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 7:36 PM

My point was regardless of tender the Rams offer the best shot with their 3rd, because compensation can be negotiated.

There is no better QB available than JC for next year but he will never be the guy and if you can get the 65th pick in the draft instead of letting him walk the following year, you do it.

I'm not sure Payton Manning could lead this team to the playoffs next year. Our OL is worse than the Iowa Hawkeyes and I’m not exaggerating.

Fix the OL this year and draft a QB next year. I don’t care who is the QB this year as long as he isn’t drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- today's blog is dreck.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 4, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I think that if anyone knew about Tom Brady he would have been drafted in the first round and not the sixth.

Posted by: whitmerdavid | February 4, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I still say give Brennan a chance with Shanny because he is similar to the snake and he played pretty good for Denver.

Scampbell you have got a problem..

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I hate when these weather fronts come thru and disrupt things.

We're going from a high of 74 on Friday to only 65 on Saturday and 61 on Sunday.

We may have thunderstorms Friday afternoon which will really screw up rush hour going home.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 4, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 7:44 PM

Read further back Kurt and you'l get it...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

You cannot be serious. Charlie Batch? I understand everyone here is virtual GM at times, but to think Batch is a viable option is as ridiculous. So you trade JC and move down in the draft and what grab McCoy in the second round? For all that why not let Brennan have a shot.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Scampbell you have got a problem..

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 7:52 PM

Sorry me again...Do you read anything?

Scampbell wasn't referring to you and there is ZERO, ZIP, NADA in common between Jake and Colt.

A PSA needs to be done with you as an example of there being NO HOPE WITH DOPE.

Sorry, continue as you will..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

You people want to get rid of Cooley!!!!No way he is the face of this team and is a fan favorite and is a true redskin. Just Like riggens,Darrell Green, Chris Hamburger!!!! Hard nosed redskins and legends.

Posted by: bert3 | February 4, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 7:47 PM

I agree with you for the most part but if the right QB is there then I think you have to take him. I'll reserve judgement on that until after Bradford's workouts. I guess it's a chicken and egg scenario, where on one side I'd like to get the O Line developed I know how long it takes for a QB to develop and if you're convinced Campbell isn't that and you get a chance to take one at 4 then you have to. I doubt next year, just by the factor that Shanahan is a good coach and we do have a good defense, we'll be picking that high again with a chance to get a franchise Qb, where we can get a tackle anywhere in the first round.

Bradford has to be the right guy though and he's the only one I might consider as I doubt the others will be franchise QB's.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Diesel we have an acronym for people such as those: ITA

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Allen says we'll have a new style offense and a new style defense.

Are there points for style?

Bonus points?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 4, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Nobody said anything about getting Mccoy in the 2nd. And that doesn't mean Brennan won't get a shot at the starting role. But the bottom line is: You need a solid veteran backup regardless of if Brennan is the answer or not. Look at the FA QB's available this yr. Who would you suggest the Skins get? Grossman perhaps?? I think not

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

AMTTS carries the hair shirt for all of Redskins Nation.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 4, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 7:57 PM

Read...Stop Gap.

"Not saying those guys are better, just a stop gap while other needs are met and until we draft a QB of the future."

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this got dropped here yet or not. Sort of funny. Sort of not.

Cooley + CollegeHumor.com

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | February 4, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

ga8085

I would suggest the skins keep who they have. If nothing else JC is decent. Im not going to the say the system changes is why he hasnt blossomed, but I will say that his weapons have been substandard. Not only the line, but I dont think anybody will argue than Santana is a legitimate no. 1 receiver. Eli Manning has proved that a slightly above average qb can succeed with a good line and decent weapons. Right now the skins have neither. I think it would be a mistake to bring in either one of these potential franchise qbs. They should follow the models of most succesful teams and build the lines first before they give any thoughts about changing qbs.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Interesting stat about 2nd round QBs

Second-round quarterbacks have a 90.9-percent bust rate. Excluding Drew Brees and possibly Chad Henne, name one successful Round 2 quarterback in the past decade. Don't try, because there are none. Believe it or not, the next best guy is Tarvaris Jackson (Kevin Kolb and Chad Henne being unknowns right now).

I wouldn't waste a 6th on Colt McCoy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

diesel-you have a drug fixation! I have been a redskin fan since 1959 when I went as a kid to watch them practice in pre-season. It wasn't like today-hardly anybody came to watch. I got to sit on a bench with some of the player and they gave me 6oz coke's in that time, I was only 8 years old. I bleed burgundy and gold.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Scampbell you have got a problem..

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse
Kurt I think you are right on this one. I still think calling everyone dic%heads for bashing Zorn is classic, but you're right I think Colt will be good. He at least deserves a shot.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I understand the concept of a stop gap, but Batch, McCown(either one)or Garcia should not be starting for anyone unless someone goes down. Employing one of these qbs as a starter is simply giving up on the season. Im not saying the skins have super bowl aspirations, but there is no need to mail it in from the jump.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:10 PM

Agree 100% but if you agree that JC is mediocre then why not trade him for the 65th overall pick in the draft. Sign a middle of the road UFA QB and then you've gained the 1st pick in the 3rd round and won’t lose JC after another mediocre year to UFA.

IMO there isn't a 8-10 year starter in this year’s draft @ QB and this team is more like 8-10 players away compared to a noodle armed Bradford or a noodle head Clausen away.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think keeping JC is a bad option, but it should be ONE of the options available to the team. In a talent heavy draft, there are only a few players on the Skins that will warrant a 3rd rounder. And its not like JC is worlds ahead of Batch or Garcia. But it all depends too on what Shanny thinks:Whether JC is capable of running his offense, can audible, handle multiple responsibilities, etc. If doesn't think he can, what's the use of keeping him when you can atleast get something in return?

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't waste a 6th on Colt McCoy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:10 PM |
__________________________

There have only been 11 drafted in the 2nd round in the last decade, so taking two away and saying name one other isn't really a fair arguement. The bottom line is QB's are risky no matter where there taken and unless you can get one in a trade or free agency(franchise QB's don't go to free agency) you're really going to have to take a chance sometimes. I'd love it if we could get one through trade but if not its a risk either way, as we've found out in the first round with Ramsey and Campbell.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:24 PM |

Some say Brad's arm strentgh is underrated. Will USC's Bark be draft eligible in 2011? We might have a fight over him with Petey and the Chawks.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 4, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually its a very fair argument. If 9 out of the 11 QB's taken in the 2nd round were busts, what else are you going to go on?

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

ga8085

I do think JC is worlds ahead of Batch and Garcia. Garcia is 40+ now its time for him to hang em up. I rate JC as similar to Eli and Cutler. I think if he had a Brandon Marshall, or Calvin Johnson we would have a different opinion of him. That being said I guess it only matter what Shanahan thinks. I just hope that he is not so full of himself that he tries draft Clausen or Bradford instead of fixing the line.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I trust Shanny and Bruce Allen, both have won and know the game of football. Whatever those two decide I will be on board with. These guys have a plan, and will execute it to perfection. I mean what did Zorn really do to make him some QB talent czar? He coached Hasselbeck......so friggin what, the guy had like 2-3 decent years behind an amazing O-line.

If Shanaallen decides Tony Banks is the best Qb for the team I'm rolling with it. My gut tells me he will go with Colt though.(Brennan not McCoy).

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 8:17 PM

No offense. If I'm going to have a petty fight with anyone then I'll save it for my wife, I certainly wasn’t trying to pick one with you.

I admire your passion and you have a great taste in teams but your posts have been a little off the wall.

I read everything and wouldn’t want to squash your creativity or good times, if anyone had a clue what they were talking about they wouldn’t be blogging away on here.

Stay Thirsty, my friend.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Watched the NFLPA conference on NFLN. Unless something changes dramatically, enjoy the coming final season of football.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I've seen about 4 people mention Charlie Batch. He's thrown 135 passes in 8 years!! He's 35 years old and has never played in a West Coast offense, so you can't even compare him to Collins a few years ago, who although out of action for a long time, was an expert in one particular offense which allowed him to excel. Let's give up the Batch talk please!

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Both Collins and Batch are in the same category IMO. Both career bench riders.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't thinks JC is in the Eli and Cutler(despite the INT's)category. Eli does a great job eluding the rush in the pocket and making throws. Cutler has a very quick release. That's what makes both of them better then JC. But more then that, they read defenses alot better then JC does.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Why in the world were people bringing up Patrick Ramsey and Rex Grossman not too long ago? I swear to God, we are not that desperate at the QB position. Charlie Batch,Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, Sage Rosenfels, blah blah blah. O-line we need O-LINE, in every spot but left guard.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 8:48 PM

I would rather be squawed in the badgles then have any of those guys in a Skins uni.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I mentioned Batch as a 1 year stop gap. Nobody available is better than JC....BUT IF YOU COULD GET THE 65TH PICK IN THE DRAFT FOR JC INSTEAD OF LOSING HIM NEXT YEAR TO UFA...THE TRADE SHOULD BE MADE.

Charlie Batch
57 TDs 44 INTs
10,033 Passing yards
77.9 QB Rating
2 SB rings
Beat the skins 2 years ago at fed ex.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44, We all want what's best for our team and sometimes we ALL get carried away with rhetoric. We all have different ideas about how to make our team better but I have seen stranger things happen then getting a late 1st rounder for a TE like Cooley. I would be the first to want to see a great GM like Allen negotiate that for a past pro bowl TE.
Yes. I would rather argue with my wife also...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Batch
57 TDs 44 INTs
10,033 Passing yards
77.9 QB Rating
2 SB rings
Beat the skins 2 years ago at fed ex.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 8:52 PM |

I can see the argument but I think JC could be a good backup after this year. We could keep him to because no one is going to offer much for him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

How can you say that they read defenses better than JC? Cutler threw 20+ interceptions. You contradict yourself. JC had better numbers than Cutler this year. He was pretty close to Eli, who has a much better line and much better weapons. Again give the man a decent line and a true number one and than you can make an assesment of how good he is or will be. You think Schaub would be ballin without Andre Johnson? Aside from the two or three elite qbs in the league there is a reason why the other good ones stand out. You think its a coincidince that Carson Palmer looks average as Ochocinco declines. You need weapons to succeed.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I think it was Leftwich that beat us

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Diesel: Leftwich beat the Skins 2 yrs ago, not Batch..

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Carson Palmer looks average as Ochocinco declines. You need weapons to succeed.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM |

I think they both looked pretty good this year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Man I hate reading that Mr. Allen thinks that Clinton(its all about me)Portis can help this team in any way! Unless he means helping by way of trading this idiot to another team! F-Portis and get some linemen! Please don`t repeat the same mistakes as Vinny by not rebuilding the o-line! That would be a step backwards IMO! PLEASE DRAFT O-LINEMEN!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 4, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 8:56 PM

Would you trade JC for the 65th pick in the draft? That's the 1st pick in the 3rd round.

Or keep him for 1 more year of mediocrity when we can be mediocre without him and then lose him to UFA next year.

He’s not the problem but he’s also not the solution. The 1st pick in the 3rd round of a very deep draft (outside of QB)could be a 8-10 year starter with a competent FO compared to keeping JC around for 1 more year as we go 8-8.

I would trade anybody not named Orakpo to help build this team for the right compensation. Problem is..Orakpo is the only guy that would net anything in the 1st round.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 4, 2010 9:07 PM |

He could help us by giving up his roster spot and his money.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Do you actually watch Cutler and Eli play? Observe how the defense is about to blitz pre snap, and watch how they get rid of the ball or audible at the line.

How am I contradicting myself? Cutler FORCES the ball where he shouldn't because he has so much confidence in his arm. Everyone knows that. Lets not get into JC's numbers again, PALEASE. We all know what those numbers consisted of. Funny, noodle arm Brunell was able to get the ball to Moss and Cooley in 2005 with alot of success. Same weapons JC has. Moss may not be a top five WR, but he still gets open deep. And JC misses him ALOT. I don't care if you have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss, he'd still overthrow them consistently. You can have weapons all day, but don't tell me he'll get them the ball on a regular basis.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

My thoughts exactly except the "Cooley" thing

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

and if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you

-Mark Twain

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

My thoughts exactly except the "Cooley" thing

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:14 PM |

The key to that statement is the phrase "for the right compensation"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

and if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you

-Mark Twain

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 4, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Nothin says lovin like fresh biscuits in the oven
-Pillsbury dough boy

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I think it was Leftwich that beat us

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Diesel: Leftwich beat the Skins 2 yrs ago, not Batch..

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM

You're both right and I was at that game. It was the Wich and Mewelde Moore.

Batch did beat us in 2000 tho.

Just saying that in the end Leftwich, Tony Banks, Kyle Boller, JC, & Charlie Batch will be comparable.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Stay medium
-Jim Zorn

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Stay medium
-Jim Zorn

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2010 9:20 PM |

...and lose repeatedly

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 9:18 PM

That is the problem.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I have watched Cutler and Eli play, but unless you are a NFL coach I dont want to hear your assessment about pre snap blitz reads and audibles because what is shown on tv doesnt let you know whats going on the entire field and furthermore neither you or I know what your talking about when it comes to those things. You dont know who is missing blocks, what patterns receivers were supposed to run, etc. JC misses receivers and I will never argue he is the most accurate, but its not like he missed Santana wide open 10-15 times. Great receivers make up for qb mistakes. How many times have you seen B.Marshall make one handed grabs or catches when the ball is thrown behind him, so again it matters if you have quality receivers. In 2005 Samuels and Jansen were healthy and the line was decent so bringing up 2005 doesnt apply to this argument. Also it doesnt matter why Cutler is throwing where he throws if he read defenses so well he wouldnt have thrown 20+ picks.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 8:37 PM

Actually its not a fair agruement. 11 is a very small number to use. We're it DB's, DT's or OL, sure, there are about 10 times that many taken in the draft over the last decade but 11 isn't a sampling. Plus, does anyone really draft a QB in the 2nd round to be their "Franchise" QB. NO! So can a guy drafted in the 2nd round as a project really be considered a "Bust". 7 of those 11 have started for the team that drafted them and Pat White played a lot as a rookie in the Wildcat, so 8 really can't be called busts for where they were take. l

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"We are going to have a new style of defense, we are going to have a new style of offense," general manager Bruce Allen said today.

New kind of defense means 3-4.

New kind of offense means pass first.

Thing is, the league is loaded with teams that do this already.

So how is any of it 'new'?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I have a cousin who works in the Seahawks organization and word was that they want that 4th pick. Who said it, I dunno. Cuz lives in Seattle and is sure that they would give both their #1 picks for the 4th. Also, what did the Jets give yp for the 4th pick last year? My memory isn't clear on that one...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure he meant new for us Moe. We may get a 3-4, 4-3 hybrid that's new to the league. Then again we may not. Maybe Shanny came up with a new offensive scheme in his year off.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:35 PM

Now that is a trade I would make.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

FROM A DRAFT SITE:

Mays probably would have been the first safety selected in last year’s draft but he chose to return for his senior season and that opened up his game to excessive scrutiny. The most common criticism is that Mays doesn’t make enough big plays in coverage (i.e. interceptions) but it’s important to keep in mind that he’s more of a big hitter than a playmaker. Is Bob Sanders any less of a great player than Ed Reed because he only has six career picks? Taylor Mays | USC Trojans Of course not, they’re just different types of players. A great athlete with an amazing blend of size (6-3, 230) and speed (4.28), Mays epitomizes the phrase “Hits Like a Linebacker, Runs Like a Cornerback”.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Well let me see here, when an former NFL QB and NFL analyst says JC totally missed a pre-snap blitz read, then I tend to believe them whether or not I know football. When an NFL analyst says, "My daughter could see that coming", then I tend to believe you don't have to be an NFL expert to know JC doesn't read defenses very well. Further more, if you've played any kind of organizational football, you've see pre snap defenses like the one's JC was facing. There was no disguises when in one game he was sacked by the blitzing CB. In another game, on 3rd and long, he audibled into a run. But I guess since I'm not an NFL Analyst, I don't really know what was going on.
In 2006-2008, the O line was decent, and JC still wasn't doing crap. Oh I forgot, he had no weapons to work with. Peyton Manning and Brady can take no name rookie WR's and do just fine, its about elevating the talent around you. So what's the next excuse?

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"There is no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or even dare I say it, Troy Aikman in this draft!"

And when they were drafted, folks said, "There is no Marino, Elway, Kelly, or Young in this draft."

You take a kid, put him in the right situation, wait, and if things go right, you have the next Ryan, Schaub, Flacco, or Rivers.

We talk about the failure rate of quarterbacks, but use the last 10 years as a measuring stick, plus, as even the most famous flops are outnumbered by some decent but not great young quarterbacks.

And that number includes Jason Campbell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

4.28!!! No way he plays LB in the nfl.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering when we will cut the highest paid running back in the history of the NFL?

Word is the Chargers are going to cut a future HOF...

"Tomlinson tells the newspaper he doesn't know when the Chargers will release him and that his agent, Tom Condon, might call the club to expedite the process."

And the NFL's most valuable player in 2006 has two years remaining on his contract. He is due a $2 million roster bonus March 5th and would be paid $5 million in total salary in 2010. Portis laughs at his contract and LT’s even less washed up than Portis.

Portis and the rest of the player first Redskin fans haven’t realized that he’s for all intensive purposes has already been cut.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | February 4, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

2nd rounders are expected to eventually start and make major contributions, regardless of their position. And I'm not sure about the percentages, but I can take an educated guess and say that even if you go back into the 90's, 2nd round QB's did not have a high rate of success either.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe Shanny came up with a new offensive scheme in his year off."

NFL teams all run the same crap as they all steal each others successful plays.

It's the personnel usage that separates the guys playing the last Sunday in the year from those sitting at home watching them.

Even if we change up our game, we got some serious personnel issues that are going to take a season or two to wrok out.

And how will we measure our success from what looks like a stiff schedule this Fall?: I'd say 9-7 would mean we're ahead of the game.

Somewhat.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Everyone was touting the Qb's that year, I was there! They all said what a great year for the draft-sports-writers that is. There were no blogs then.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 4, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I believe he was inferring that we were gonna try to score instead of playing for a FG.

I also believe he meant we were gonna be an attacking defense instead of hold your gap/line and slow the run down but let them throw all day as stated by backups being able to score at will and then make the backup QB's as good players to hold the position for us until we find that "Franchise" QB.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 4, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

ga8085

I have no excuses for JC, but he only played 6 games in 2006 and in 2008 you could have made the argument in the first half of the season he was the MVP before defenses figured out the skins vanilla offense. That being said he has work to do, but like I said before aside from 2 or 3 elite qbs you need weapons to be successful. And just because you played high school football doesnt mean you can diagnose what NFL defenses do on the regular. Does he make bad reads? yup. Bad throws? sure does. But its not epidemic and he has only played in about three years worth of games. Given what he had to work with this past season I dont think he is that bad and think he is comparable to Eli and Cutler.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

NFL teams all run the same crap as they all steal each others successful plays.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 9:49 PM |

I know, I know, but a man can dream can't he? We need Shanny to pull a Coryell or a Walsh and come up with something dominant and innovative. If he's the genius he thinks he is he should have had plenty of time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually I played college football too, but that's besides the point. Professional Football is not rocket science, sure there's complexities to the game, but JC is not and never will be the type of QB who will make you pay if you blitz them.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 4, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

ga8085

We can agree to disagree on JC's upside. I am curious do you think we would have been better, record wise with Cutler or Sanchez?

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree Moe, the schedule is not easy. We would be doing really well to make 9-7 next year.
I won't even think about predictions til I see the off season moves. It'll be interesting.

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 4, 2010 10:17 PM |

I know you didn't ask me but I would say no. We would have a broken Sanchez or a whining Cutler.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Allen isn't picking the draft picks

Posted by: Salinas1 | February 4, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

A broken Sanchez and a whiny & brokenCutler. If nothing else JC is one tough hombre. I tender him, if you don't get decent (2nd or better) compensation, keep him for another season and see what happens. Open competition in camp & preseason without a doubt, but I would bet he wins it.

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Michael Irvin accused of rape
Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2010 10:45 PM ET
Former Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin is back in Florida this week as part of the pre-Super Bowl festivities. He's broadcasting his ESPN Radio Dallas show from the Media Center in Fort Lauderdale, and like many of the former players milling about Radio Row he looks like he could still suit up and go right now.

But any sense of celebration has been tempered by the news that a civil suit alleging sexual assault has been filed against Irvin. According to the Miami Herald, Irvin allegedly raped a woman at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.

A decision on whether criminal charges will be pursued is pending.

The alleged incident occurred in July 2007, a month before he gave a stirring speech upon entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Irvin, through his lawyer, denies the allegations, calling them "totally untrue."

The action comes after negotiations on a financial settlement stalled. The woman reportedly wanted $1 million, then dropped her demand to $800,000.

"This complaint is tantamount to criminal extortion,'' attorney Larry Friedman told the Herald. "There is no merit to the complaint.''

Though it's rare for anyone to admit to engaging in criminal conduct, Irvin is entitled to the presumption of innocence in a court of law.

In the court of public opinion, Irvin's history might work against him. But he seems to have changed his ways, so he merits in our view the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 4, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

These guys just don't know when to say no. Much as I hate any Cowpuke, I'm guessing we're looking at a goldigger. Already made an offer then counter-offer.

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

If Shanny drafts Bradford, Campbell will start the first 11 games next year before Bradford takes over permanently

Posted by: coparker5 | February 4, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Please, draft o-line!! But we all know what Snyder wants.

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

But once they got to the hotel room, it was like Peter said on "Family Guy" "it's like sex with Kobe Bryant...you can kick and scream all you want but its going to happen."

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd trade JC straight up for either Cutler or Sanchez. HOWEVER…

I wouldn't give up all the picks to get either though (Orakpo & Barnes) and...

That's why that stupid trade for Jason Taylor left us without the necessary 2nd to consummate the trade. Blessing in disguise?

We would have been worse off to trade for either last year and into the future. So there is no one who would have endorsed that trade last year. Or is Vic1 or MrRedskin21 still dreaming?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez may or may not be something someday. You can have that sorry a** Cutler.

Posted by: msrent | February 4, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Taking a moment to remember "BULLITT" BILL DUDLEY, a truely great REDSKIN. First, "Slingin'" SAMMY now BILL. They've got all the answers now. My youth's REDSKINS heros are falling fast.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 5, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

We get picks through trades. On the block as far as I'm concerned these are the usual suspect, "VERBAL" KINT....... uh-h-h, I mean, JASON CAMPBELL for a minimum third, ANTWAAN RANDLE-EL, fa'gid'aboud'it, maybe a seventh, but who would want that contract? CHRIS COOLEY for a minimum first, CLINTON PORTIS for a minimum third, and again contract issues. ALBERT HAYNESWORTH for a minimum first and sixth. Let's trade 'um and rake in the prospects.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 5, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 5, 2010 12:32 AM

That's why you are the greatest...Yea hawwww

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 5, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Bill Dudley. Best wishes for the family.

Love what I'm hearing from Bruce Allen. Hopefully he produces just as well as he talks.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 5:08 AM | Report abuse

"A great athlete with an amazing blend of size (6-3, 230) and speed (4.28), Mays epitomizes the phrase “Hits Like a Linebacker, Runs Like a Cornerback”."

As long as he's going forward, that is. Problem is, people can get behind him. Then it's "hits like a linebacker, runs like he has a broken hip."

Posted by: Samson151 | February 5, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

" uh-h-h, I mean, JASON CAMPBELL for a minimum third, ANTWAAN RANDLE-EL, fa'gid'aboud'it, maybe a seventh, but who would want that contract? CHRIS COOLEY for a minimum first, CLINTON PORTIS for a minimum third, and again contract issues. ALBERT HAYNESWORTH for a minimum first and sixth. Let's trade 'um and rake in the prospects.Posted by: glawrence007"

Who's your trade partner? The Hamilton Tiger Cats? The Rhein Fire?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 5, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

"More and more of these q-backs are leaving college with a better understanding of the pro passing game than ever."

Not if they played at Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, or many other BCS schools, who use offenses they may never see in the NFL.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 5, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and Tebow looks great right now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

One thing I haven't heard anyone bring up here, anyone think Shanny will bring his practice of using lie detectors on players to D.C.? I always thought that was sketchy, hopefully that's something he leaves in Denver.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse