McShay thinks Redskins are targeting a lineman but adds 'you never know'

We told you last week that ESPN's Mel Kiper said he'd be shocked if the Redskins drafted a quarterback in the first round after trading for Donovan McNabb. You can add his colleague Todd McShay to the list of anaylsts who think the team is targeting an offensive lineman in next week's draft.

On a conference call this afternoon, I asked McShay why he thought the Redskins might be working out Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen. After all, it'd be quite a bit of effort and expense to send Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan and Bruce Allen around the country for a mere smokescreen.

McShay suggested they could be simply doing their due diligence, but also warned, "you never know."

"Donovan McNabb is certainly not a young quarterback and they don't have anyone, if you look, they don't have anyone on that team right now that you look at as their long-term developmental prospect," he said.

McShay thinks the team needs to select a left tackle in the first round to protect McNabb. He did acknowledge that if the team chased Baltimore's Jared Gaither or someone else via trade, they might still have the flexibility to chase a quarterback in the draft.

He is sure of this much: Allen likes to keep everyone guessing.

"He loves to get mind games going. He's the king of it," McShay said. "He wants people thinking he's capable of anything on draft day."

McShay also offered a little prediction, which many around the league would probably agree with: "Something tells me they're going to be the first team to shake things up before all is said and done."

By Rick Maese  |  April 15, 2010; 2:54 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahans, Allen spend the day looking at Bradford, Clausen
Next: Malcolm Kelly excited, energized by arrival of Shanahan

Comments

1st again baitches

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | April 15, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

1st again baitches

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | April 15, 2010 3:05 PM

Congratulations.

Posted by: wdv1137 | April 15, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

And congrats to you as well. Hopefully, you wont have any flare ups anytime soon. Keep taking those Valtrex.

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | April 15, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. 4th bayotchez. whatever.

Posted by: Holehoggin | April 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

That of course was Beautiful talkin.... Beautiful on the weekend does stunts for Little Richard in gay movies.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

So funny. The Skins mgmt said they had a problem at QB, so they invested a ton into McNabb. Problem solved (at least it better be for the price).

The Skins had the worst OL in football. Does anyone really think the 2 degrees don't know what they need to do? It'll be all about OL. Donovan's replacement shouldn't even be an issue.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze 1 --

Nope, thanks and appreciate the feedback -- but most of the stuff you see from me is original... not necessarily creative... or even funny... but usually based (however loosely) on actual events, circumstances and impressions.

For instance, today's installment goes back to some hazy memories of last year's pre-season training camp -- when JC17 was pictured playing dodge ball with the coaching staff, reported to be talking trash with his wide receivers on the basketball court, and trying to hang and bowl with Cooley and his smoking hot cheerleader of a wife.

I realize some may think I'm obsessed -- and they're probably right -- but for so long as this loser is on the roster, we face the risk of him actually playing again for us one day. Thus, my personal crusade to start each day wondering why this may be so -- and whether it should continue to be so.

But then I also know that it's only a game -- staged for our money and entertainment -- sort of like NASCAR in pads and helmets.

And besides, this is only a blog.

So please lighten up and quit worrying about what I might have to say -- or at least just skip over like some of the rest and ignore it! You'll be happier in the long run, trust me.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Protect the QB? Since when?

Posted by: Alan4 | April 15, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I know we need linemen.

But listed below are those players I secretly covet, but won't comment on:

D Thomas, wr, GaTech

J Shipley, wr, Tx

M Pouncey, c, UF

J Haden, cb, UF

M Iupati, g, IU

B Tate, rb, Aub

R McClain, L, Bama

V Ducasse, t, UMass

D Cody, nt, Bama

B Bulaga, t, Iowa

M Hardesty, rb, TENN

D LeFevour, qb, C Mich

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 15, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Something tells me they'll be the first team to shake things up."

Oh, boy. I don't feel so good.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze 1 --

And besides, this is only a blog.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"My point had nothing to do with Millen.. It was the fact of selecting a "value position / pick" in the First round.

Put it another way, what did the Bills get for their former 1st round pick, Mike Williams? Nothing..zilch.. What will the Skins get for their former 1st rounder.. maybe a 4th? Why? He is a "value pick". Touches the ball..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM"

Yes, and my point was that that philosophy also has its epic failures, as exhibited by Matt Millen.

What did the Lions get for Charles Rogers? Or Mike Williams? Or Joey Harrington?

What did the Bears get for Cedric Benson?

How about the Bucs for Cadillac Williams?

Meanwhile the Seahawks, who spent a first rounder on Steve Hutchinson, received a 1st and a 3rd for their former linemen. And not coincidentally, their offense -- one of the best in the league for a couple years -- completely fell apart. Not in the least due to the fact that their former pro-bowl QB couldn't stay healthy and their former MVP running back didn't have 5 yards of space in front of him every time he touched the ball.

By the way, $20 says Bill Polian selects a lineman with the Colts' first round pick this year.

Posted by: psps23 | April 15, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | April 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

What’d I say? I’m just havin some fun…it’s a slow day at work for a change. Believe me; I am laughing, along with a few others up here I might add.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | April 15, 2010 3:15 PM

Sorry that I hurt your feelings. I know it must hurt to make a big deal of something that is so unimportant and then feel so foolish. Then try to cover your anger with some lame joke. Bravo to you.

Posted by: wdv1137 | April 15, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I can predict hearing on draft day when the
Skins pick is on the clock, "With 4th pick
in the draft, ******** has acquired the 4th pick from Washington , in exchange for *******'s No# 1 pick & 2nd pick
& 4rd pick in this years draft" I love the
anticipation of "Trades" on draft day.
I believe the Skins will trade down to stock pile more picks. I believe this is a "deep" draft.

Posted by: madalao | April 15, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ vic1 about to start crying.

Classic example of dish but can't take. When you're posting nonsense about Campbell it's funny to you. I can picture you in front of your monitor grinning freakishly and snickering while typing up those mini-Campbell "stories".

When it's flung back at you, you cry and ask people to stop.

DISH but can't TAKE.

Must've been some truth in that dlhaze post, huh?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 15, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Red --

As usual, you're an outstanding judge of character, as well as motivatation, style, panache, etc.

Guess there's something in that old refrain about it takes one to know one... character, that is.

Carry on!

Posted by: Vic1 | April 15, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

We should've waited and tried to trade for "the rapist" Big Ben... damn!

Posted by: bhoang888 | April 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I would take some picks to move out of 4 but I can't see who will come up that high unless SF really wants Claussen or Buffalo maybe (they need everything).

Fall off to Bualaga is not that much from Okung or TWill...Then get well in the later rounds. Carlos (and Rocky) need to come correct and sign their tender - not much wiggle room

Posted by: ElYeah | April 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

vic1... just take your beating like a man and move on.

dlhaze got off a classic slam... it was well written adn funny as hell. He stole from you a format that you yourself stole from btg... The thing to do is give him a virtual high five.

Your pensive, bleating explanations are only making it worse... buck up and rinse the sand out yer vag, bro.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 15, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Red --

Carry on!

Posted by: Vic1

What's the matter, dude? Your pu**y sore? Cramps are a b*tch this month? Bloodied up your favorite pair of panties?

Here: take a kleenex and a maxi strength tampon and go stand in the corner.

Don't be mad at me because someone killed you with your own gun.

Maybe you'll stop now since you got your feelings smashed.

FTR, I'm still laughing at that sh*t!

I guess there is something in that old refrain "that what goes around comes around".

Go throw yourself off a cliff.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 15, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Red -- Have missed your graphic expositions on the meaning of life and wondering why you've toned things down of late. Nice to see you back in form.

Agree, SkinsfaninKaneoh -- Dlhaze put me in my place.

Next round of drinks on me!

Posted by: Vic1 | April 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

vic1, those were Scooby snacks, dude. If those little jabs hurt then yeah, I guess you're just a big bleeding pu**y.

I've posted far worse. I could've suggested your mother throw herself off a cliff, but not before I got to beat "it" up again.

"But I said naw, b*tch I said naw..."

Posted by: RedDMV | April 15, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Certainly they need a lineman - but they work out the QB's to drive up their value in case someone wants to move up. For instance - if Detroit is at least 50-50 to draft Okung at 2. Which will mean one of the 2 big DTs will fall to 4. Also Eric Berry. If that happens, Oakland's number 8 pick + a 2, looks pretty good. Might still wind up with Trent there. Also, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Oakland might really want Clausen for the 9,8, or 7. It doesn't hurt Washington to ,ale a big deal out of Clausen pre-draft.

Bottom line is - if Detroit goes OL, and certainly if the Rams don't take Bradfor for whatever reason - that number 4 pick gets a lot more valuable.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | April 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

honestly, we need a 2nd rounder to get another good offensive lineman. We need to make a trade soon.

Posted by: forcewinder | April 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Certainly they need a lineman - but they work out the QBs to drive up their value in case someone wants to move up. For instance - Detroit is at least 50-50 to draft Okung at 2. Which will mean one of the 2 big DTs will fall to 4. Also Eric Berry. If that happens, Oakland's number 8 pick + a 2, looks pretty good. Might still wind up with Trent there. Also, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Oakland might really want Clausen for the 9,7, or 8 pick + a 2 or 3. It doesn't hurt Washington to make a big deal out of Clausen pre-draft.

Bottom line is - if Detroit goes OL, and certainly if the Rams don't take Bradford for whatever reason - that number 4 pick gets a LOT more valuable.

Also - if Washington wants to use Flozell as a stop gap for this year, or maybe trade a future pick for Gaither - they might trade back from 4 and still wind up with Eric Berry.

basically - they either take Okung, Trent, or make a great trade for a lower top-ten pick. The 4 pick could be the catbird seat.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | April 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"...we need a 2nd rounder to get another good offensive lineman. We need to make a trade soon."

Excellent point.

But how do you acquire the pick?

You could trade away the 2011 1st rounder for a 2nd and 4th this year.

That's a 1st, 2nd, 2 4ths, a 5th, and a 7th.

It would let you take two linemen in rounds 1 and 2, an inside linebacker type in 4, and quarterback at 4, special teamers at picks 5 and 7.

Is it worth it in a deep draft like this to trade away your #1 for next year?

Maybe.

I say pull dat trigga.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 15, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | April 15, 2010 3:15 PM

Posted by: wdv1137 | April 15, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Im sorry, are you high. Your moms vazhine hangs like the sleeve of a wizards robe.

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | April 15, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 15, 2010 4:03 PM

----------

I can vouch for this.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 15, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Why hate on Vic1?

He's not the stumblebum human zero who spent the last three seasons stinking up the joint as Redskins QB.

At any rate, I sure hope no one "smashes MY feelings" on dis here blog.

I'd never get over it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 15, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

If Skins could work out a trade sending AH (plus maybe a 2011 draft pick)to Baltimore for Gaither.. and if McNabb doesn't sign an extention.. getting Clausen could make a lot of sense.. The key is what does Shanahan think of Clausen after he's seen him play.. If he thinks he can be a franchise QB drafting him in 1st round wouldn't shock me...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I WANT REDSKINS TO TAKE JIMMY CLAUSEN AND I DON'T CARE WHAT PICK ITS GOING TO BE AT. (TRADE , 4TH .. W/E)...
BUT FOR SOME REASON, I HAD A WEIRD DREAM. I SAW SHANNAHAN TAKING SAM BRADFORD AND HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH HIM AFTER DRAFT. IT WENT LIKE THIS:
BRADFORD : "WERE YOU REALLY THINKING ABOUT PASSING ON ME?"
SHANNAHAN: "I JUST WANTED TO KEEP PEOPLE GUESSING"

WEIRD ????,,, I KNOW..... AS MUCH AS I WANT CLAUSEN .... THIS DREAM REALLY BOTHERED ME , CUZ I HAD TIMES WHERE MY DREAM CAME TRUE.....

I HOPE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN....
I WOULD RATHER HAVE OKUNG OR CLAUSEN

Posted by: beede81 | April 16, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Just draft Spiller and put CP26 in at LG!

Viva Art Monk.

Jimmy Clausen is a little rich kid. He won't stay healthy in the long run, I don't think he can take a beating like, well um Jason Campbell could.

Posted by: Corvis777 | April 16, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse