Redskins prepare for season with and without a salary cap

The annual Super Bowl week owner-union grandstanding dance got off to a good start Thursday, when the NFL Players Association warned that a 2011 lockout seems increasingly likely.

Commissioner Roger Goodell will get a chance to respond at his own news conference today.

Whether the two sides iron out their differences in time to save the 2011 season, it's a near-certainty that 2010 will be played without a salary cap.

So, what exactly will that mean for the Redskins? Well, it's not entirely clear, and in an interview Thursday afternoon, general manager Bruce Allen didn't exactly reveal any state secrets.

"Really we've prepared for both scenarios and feel comfortable that we've game-planned for whatever takes place," Allen said.

But teams aren't saying how their offseason plans would change during an uncapped year - whether we'll see fewer long-term contracts, bigger bonuses, smaller deals, larger deals.

What we do know is that teams will be able to unload some baggage without suffering a cap hit. In the past, that's kept some well-paid players on the 53-man roster. But now a team could unload a player with essentially no penalty.

We asked Allen on Thursday whether in an uncapped year, the Redskins might be more aggressive during free agency or less.

"I wouldn't characterize it either way," Allen said. "We're going to go by whatever rules they set up."

Allen didn't join the Redskins until December, which means he missed a good chunk of the labor discussions that have gone back and forth. He's been briefed on everything, but Allen doesn't think he missed much during his brief unemployment.

"Really a lot hasn't transpired during that time," he said. "I'm pretty up-to-date."

Allen and front-office officials from every team will take part in league meetings on Saturday. And after Sunday's game, the two sides will continue to negotiate. Even if teams don't want to reveal their precise plans for an uncapped season, we can be certain of at least one thing: A lot more doomsday threats from both sides.

By Rick Maese  |  February 5, 2010; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Allen: 'We're going 100 mph getting ready for free agency'
Next: Fletcher 'honored' to be a Walter Payton award finalist

Comments

FIRST to say ... ive never liked the cap.

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | February 5, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Cut... dump... purge... lay waste to... get the f outta town to some hefty salaries puh-leeeze!

26... cya cp
77... gonna miss ya, truly, but get well
60... see above comments
46... bu-bye betts
15... hmmmm?
30... maybe too soon, but someone's gotta coach him up

Posted by: bschaef12 | February 5, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

I like the part about unloading excess baggage. CP26? See ya!!

Posted by: Vic1 | February 5, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

This uncapped year is just the get out of jail free card the Skins needed. Blow out the big salaries of the past, build things up the right way. If things go along those lines, we'll know that Danny has truly been swept aside in the player personnel dept...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

26... cya cp
77... gonna miss ya, truly, but get well
60... see above comments
46... bu-bye betts
15... hmmmm?
30... maybe too soon, but someone's gotta coach him up

Posted by: bschaef12

Add Rock Cartwright to that list.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

One thing I haven't heard anyone bring up here, anyone think Shanny will bring his practice of using lie detectors on players to D.C.? I always thought that was sketchy, hopefully that's something he leaves in Denver.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Add Rock Cartwright to that list.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2010 7:38 AM

Not sure why you'd do that...the list you just co-signed on includes cutting the only other RBs on the roster. Plus, Rock is an inexpensive player. We want to get rid of the old, big salary guys...not the cheap special teams captain.

Keep Rock for now, blow out Portis and Betts. Find a young RB to pick up the slack.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey Red,

Are you ready for the snow, my boss just told us we can leave 4 hours early.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 5, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

A GM that holds his cards close to his chest? Woo Hoo!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

A GM that holds his cards close to his chest? Woo Hoo!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:06 AM

Forget WHERE he's holding 'em...a GM that holds cards that aren't just a bunch of jokers? Woo Hoo!

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Red,

Are you ready for the snow, my boss just told us we can leave 4 hours early.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 5, 2010 7:44 AM

We're supposed to get it pretty good up here too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

ya'll buncha sissies with this snow...how much are you gonna get??

if its less than a foot, much ado over nothing.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 7:37 AM
------------------------------------------
I agree. This is a big opportunity to make right many mistakes of the past. I would assume there are a bunch of players on other teams that are on the down side of their careers and have hefty salaries. When these guys get dumped I hope Snyder truly is hands off or else the Redskins will end up as the clearinghouse for fat contract guys who have forgotten what it was to be hungry and compete.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

There talking about 20 inches, hell they close schools in my county if someone spits on the street.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 5, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Red,
When you go to play football today with your buds, don't forget the Haynesworth breather technique. Hayensworth's mantra, "Fake an injury, get a blow; fake an injury, get a blow..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

flound, haha, how've you been?

20 inches, ok, thats not bat, red should consider it a badge of honor to be the last to leave the building .......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey, take that back they are not all jokers only 2 in a deck anyway. I mean he did have the "rules to playing poker card" in his hand as well, along with the two jokers and 1 card from a different deck that was the wrong color, but hey that means Vinny always had 1 card in his hand and we did not know what he was gonna do with it.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

20 inches is all they got. Phsa I am taller than that.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

ya'll buncha sissies with this snow...how much are you gonna get??

if its less than a foot, much ado over nothing.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:18 AM
-----------------------------------------
We call a foot of snow just a snow flurry here in Syracuse. The first year I moved here from Virginia we got twenty-one inches of snow on a weekend and I thought, "That's it. Kids won't be in school all week and I won't be going to work tomorrow." The next day, school opened on time, the roads were clear, and I had to rush to get to work on time because I had set the alarm for later. It was definitely not like Virginia.

I feel for everyone down there going through this snow because I realize the state highway department is nowhere near equipped to handle clearing the roads. I imagine they've used up their allotment for salt and sand already this year and are having to rush truckloads in from other states (probably New York). If I remember the drill correctly, the grocery store shelves are now just about empty and half of the businesses and schools did a pre-emptive shutdown as soon as they heard about the snow storm. Try to enjoy it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

RSH,

Good news is that the sand from the last snow is still on the roads. Because its going to happen on a weekend we know that they will be slow to plow probably wont see a shovel hit ground till after the snow stops (that is what they did last weekend). Especially the useless parts of the world I call the suburbs.

There was a stat in the paper, DC has already spent 4 million on snow removal, VA and MD between 30-40 mill each.

And yes I was at the store last night for food for a super bowl party, not snopocoalypse, and it took over 2 hours, most of that was in the lines to check out. No shopping carts left, no baskets ,had to use my bags. My family is from Albany, so my brother and I were raised knowing not to panic from this

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The problem here isn't so much the snow as the freezing rain and sleet. Fun

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

flound, haha, how've you been?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:25 AM |

I'm good yourself?

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 5, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I lived in Atlanta and in 93 they got 3 inches and called it "The blizzard of 93." It was hysterical. Everything wad closed and not a soul on the roads.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

The problem here isn't so much the snow as the freezing rain and sleet. Fun

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:40 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, you can keep that stuff. I'd rather drive in a foot of snow. Four-wheel drive, two-wheel drive, unicycle - it doesn't matter what you're driving on ice because, in the immortal words of Carlos Rogers, "Ain't nothin' you do about that..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

The problem here isn't so much the snow as the freezing rain and sleet. Fun

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 5, 2010 8:40 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, you can keep that stuff. I'd rather drive in a foot of snow. Four-wheel drive, two-wheel drive, unicycle - it doesn't matter what you're driving on ice because, in the immortal words of Carlos Rogers, "Ain't nothin' you can do about that..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 5, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

flound, doing good thanks, can't wait for spring...

rsh, despite living up in MA where snow is an expected winter ritual, there are those who despite years, and years of living/driving in it, still don't know how to conduct themselves.

First warning of any signifigant snowfall, and you'd be hard pressed to find either milk/bread on store shelves, which I don't get...what exactly are you going to make with milk and bread? French Toast??

Onto the drivers, whom I delight in driving by at a safe and sane speed when they're in a ditch. You have 4-wheel drive, that means power to all 4 wheels, however what it does not mean, is that your vehicle is IMMUNE to slipping, sliding, or crashing....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:51 AM

Amen to that...I hate when people (including my own wife) tell me that I HAVE to get an SUV since I live in an area that gets snow. That is one of the worst misconceptions ever...the only inclement weather crash I ever got in was in a 4WD vehicle.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

The problem with using a SUV is that because of the high center of gravity when they do hydroplane then you get in a lot of trouble.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

ya'll buncha sissies with this snow...how much are you gonna get??

if its less than a foot, much ado over nothing.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

True, but you gotta keep in mind that DC is essentially a southern city, and like most southern cities, we don't do snow very well.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm siced about the snow. I'm leaving 4 hrs early too.. which gives me time to eat, chill, have some vodka, then go play football.

Does everyone plan on staying in the house the entire time during the snowfall?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Good call Alex, that's why I stick with full-size cars. As long as you weigh it down, it's seldom a problem.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

#4 to Seattle for #14 and #40.

I feel like glawrence.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I have no real plans for the storm. Back in college storm = get wasted blast some radiohead and pink floyd and go play in the snow.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Storm’s a comin’.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The grocery stores were insane last night.

Only time you could get a cart was when someone else was done using one. The lines stretched down the aisles, and everything was picked over. It felt like Black Friday all over again.

People must love fruit punch and other flavored drinks that come in a carton (minute maid welch's), because they were all gone. Only thing left was OJ, Pink/Reg Lemonade.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Red,
We had a similar problem with Okra, for some reason the store ran out of okra and cellery.

Because when I want to survive the storm what do I want??

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know exactly what they mean when they say a “lockout” is likely for 2011?

If the players union says they won’t play, is there any law to prevent the owners starting from scratch with “scabs” like they did in 87? I would be willing to bet that if the owners say “eff you, the NFL will carry on with or without you”, that at least 75% of the players would “cross the line” and come back. And be forced to accept pay cuts in one form or another. These guys are all pretty greedy (owners and players, but who can blame them I suppose), but getting zero paycheck and having to get a real job vs. “only” getting AT MINIMUM $700K or whatever the vet-min is…..I think you will see most of these guys suck it up. I’d still watch the scabs; heck college football is still great to watch, and what, maybe 5% of those guys make it to the NFL (if that)…..and I think it would only be “scabs” for a little while.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Does everyone plan on staying in the house the entire time during the snowfall?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2010 9:17 AM |

Red,

Are you crazy stay inside the entire time with a wife and two girls. I take as long as I can to shovle snow.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 5, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

dl,

The last time it was a strike by the players thats why the owners could use scabs. This is a lockout by the owners it's very different, and would prevent the owners from using scab players.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

say it with me guys...snow-blower....best money I've spent in a LONG TIME...of course given the propensity for this area to get snow versus your area, might not be a wise investment.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 5, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 5, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh. Thanks Flound. Well that sucks.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze1

I am too young to remember exactly what happened during the 80s lockouts. From what I understand the owners do a up or down vote in a lockout if they want to go with scabs/replacements during the season. My guess is we will see one of 2 things.

Lockout no football UFL becomes only league playing to start season and gets big becomes a threat to the NFL and they fold on the deal with the union.

Scab football. Players realize they had a good thing going getting millions more than they should to play a sport.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

God I hope the cheap teams cut tons of Offensive Lineman......

Imagine if we could rebuild our OL in one week and draft whatever the hell we want in the 1st and 2nd Round instead of automatically slotting an OL there.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | February 5, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

so the NFL players might strike in 2011...lets review what happened the last two years there was work stoppage in the NFL...1987, the redskins won the superbowl....1982, the redskins won the superbowl....so if it happens in 2011, well, you do the math....HAIL!!!!!

Posted by: altarkenton | February 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

26... cya cp
77... gonna miss ya, truly, but get well
60... see above comments
46... bu-bye betts
15... hmmmm?
30... maybe too soon, but someone's gotta coach him up

Posted by: bschaef12

Add Rock Cartwright to that list

You forgot:
82 - ARE u gone yet?
22 - can't catch a cold!
27 - Smooches!
97 - Didn't Wynn with ya!
5 - How the hell did he even make an NFL roster? Thanks Vinny!
61 - Go be a sieve for someone else!

Posted by: Toochilled | February 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

lock 'em out, bring in the scabs, show 'em who's their daddy

Posted by: bestmick1 | February 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This is just great...now I'm going to the weather page and talk about the Redskins.

Posted by: petebowling1 | February 5, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

5 - How the hell did he even make an NFL roster? Thanks Vinny

Posted by: Toochilled

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD THIS KID IS!!!!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 5, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"What we do know is that teams will be able to unload some baggage without suffering a cap hit."

Happiness is Alber Haynesworth leaving town with Randell El under one arm and Portis under the other!

Posted by: Redskinrex | February 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse