Brunell Portis and Moss, In No Particular Order

Hey there. Hope evertone had a great weekend.
Brunell, Portis and Moss all missed practice. None of them in pads or participating in drills during the period of training we got to see. Brunell was on the field, but not with a helmet and not doing much of anything at all.

Portis and Moss walked out to the field about 20 minutes in and neither was in pads or helmet, either. They had no slings, walking casts or any other obvious medical stuff attached to their person, so that has to be a positive sign if nothing else.

The rest of the team looked to be back. With the D linemen, a lot of times they will only do limited work, so we'll get the official word later on exactly how much they did.

Coach Gibbs is speaking around 1:30, so we'll get more word then.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 30, 2006; 12:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another Guest Columnist
Next: Injury Update

Comments

J La C,

Great article yesterday. I appreciate the input. Now let's concentrate on the girls coming to town. I hope their win last night puts a little swagger in their step and they come in here, and we knock their heads off.

Posted by: Palmyra Skins Fan | October 30, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to thank you for a great (but depressing) article in the paper yesterday.

Posted by: Rob | October 30, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Tandler had some interesting points here:

Could it be? No, probably not. Could it?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 30, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

JLC --

Who got the snaps with the 1st team offense with Brunell out? Thanks.

Posted by: CMoney | October 30, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JLC did Campbell take all the snaps again?

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JLaC, anybody out there trying to trip you in the hallways after the piece yesterday? Do you have a personal food taster in tow?

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | October 30, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wes Mantooth if anything he should be the one tripping a certain starting QB. (did I say that out loud lol)

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse

JLC, what's going on there in terms of the mood? Any feelings or vibes you're getting from the guys?

Is that nasty losing hangover still hanging around?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 30, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how the team is carrying themselves today. Jason - do you notice if they've put the bye week to good use and re-energized or do they appear to still be hanging their heads?

Posted by: CO Skins Fan | October 30, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I have to commend you as well on a great article. What happnens on the day after you write something like that and then walk into the park. Do they treat you like some sort of jackass? With this crew I could envision a certain level of black balling.

Did Campbell get the snaps? What are the odds of him being #2 anytime soon?

Posted by: PSUAsh | October 30, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Dealer let me know what goes down with Coach Joe at the the press conference.(new stuff not the we are in this together, work hard)

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey JLC - great article this weekend. Bit of a bummer though. What exactly is Vinnie's role in the organization? Just a Snyder yes man? Does he do the talent evaluation that Gibbs relies on? I thought Gibbs brought in a bunch of his own scouts. Here's hoping Gibbs saw Parcells win with an unproven QB this weekend and follows suit with Campbell. Double G should get McIntosh some plays also.

Posted by: skinswest | October 30, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

JlaC, so what's the deal--is Campbell gonna start or what? It sure seems like something is going on out in Ashburn...you gotta get the inside skinny for us...please.

Oh, and nice, but depressing, article on sunday.

Posted by: WrongDog | October 30, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

FYI MY BLOGS DONT HARP ON LOSSES YOURS OR MINE,ONLY NEXT GAME.NOT MY FAULT YOUR SUCKY TEAM HAS MORE!!!!hehehe

Posted by: BOOFER | October 30, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Boofer if we suck so much and you have your own blog. Why in God's green earth are you always here? Except when your team lose and you show what you are really about.

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Great article the other day JLC. It seems that every coach the Skins hires gets to be the GM. They bring in their own people and rehaul the roster. Of course this takes two years and then by the third year the team isn't performing so Snyder fires the coach and the whole process starts again. Vinny does appear to be the ultimate Yes man because his football knowledge has yet to make an appearance - maybe Snyder just likes keeping him around because Vinny knows how to intentionally loose their racquetball games.

Posted by: David | October 30, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Boofer, do you get some type of perverse pleasure from posting on this blog? Why don't you go post on a Cowboy's blog? I don't get it, but then by reading some of your posts, I should be happy about that. What is your deal, and what is the deal with people actually defending this tool?

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | October 30, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

jm, dude! i'm on their site and nothing at all 'bout the 1:30 presser. i think it's going to be one of those walking off the field type o deal. ERRRRRRRRRRR!

i'll see if 980 got something.

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

dealer thanks bra. You know what I want to hear. That Campbell is the starter or at the very least the number two guy.

Greg(Boston) I am with you bra. I don't get it. Even during Dallas week I would never visit a Cowgirl blog.

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

No one defends Boofer. I had the same reaction as everyone else when he started coming around. Boofer is good natured he just likes to razz everyone. Just have fun with him. For instance:

Boofer,

I wonder if Romo's beginners luck will wear off this week. He got lucky against Carolina and now that they have tape on him no chance he gets 2 td's.

Posted by: Skinz | October 30, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

editor, if the news is "campbell took all the snaps, and he'll most likely be the starter" where would you post first? on the front page or as a comment on this blog?

in other words, cindy, where does your loyalty lie? :)

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

and also to know which page we should be refreshing. :)

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Boofo-
Don't get too jazzed up about Romeo...I remember a few years ago when Steve Superior insisted on "his guy" for the Tenessee game (that being Danny Woeful). Woeful was hurt on the first play, and in trots "the future" Patrick Ramsey. Ramsey just lights up the Titans and looks like a superstar in the making...then, the next week, he was simply battered by the Saints. He threw multiple picks and looked completely lost. Romo looks good, but he will have growing pains. Here's hoping he has some this weekend!!! If not, I am going to need multiple boo hoo boxes.

Posted by: BofferSux | October 30, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

jm220, thanks for getting my back

skinz, sorry, I don't buy it. If acting like a complete jack-@$$ is good natured, then I'd agree with your assessment of him.

I post, and read this board because I'm a Redskins fan, I'd rather not have to read the inane, ramblings of someone who isn't intelligent enough to turn off the "caps lock" button, and who previously called us, "Soar losers".

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | October 30, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

dealer, you've put me on the seat of heat!!! well, my loyalties are strictly professional...but, that said, the fastest way to post (typos and all) is to this here blog. we can jam a quick news alert, then take a little longer and post a news story. that takes longer because it goes through more hands, requires headlines and stuff. frankly, tho, refreshing the blog page is your best bet. then, for more info, go to the home page.

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 30, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Cindy and JLC, we all are waiting to hear who took the snaps today.

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

How did Campbell look last week and today in practice?

Posted by: Seventy Chip | October 30, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Jason and Howard are out of touch right now because the locker room is open till 2:15ish.

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 30, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cindy. Can you tell I am doing no work today? This blog is really going to get me fired. Do you think I should go to some type of rehab program? lol

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Someone pointed out before. It's good that he capitalises because they know to just skip over that post. Maybe he does it as a courtesy.

If you don't want to encounter jackass' i'd say that blogs or the whole internet for that matter is not the place for you.

Posted by: Skinz | October 30, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

If Gibbs named JC the starter, we would have heard by now.

But that doesn't mean that Gibbs isn't waiting until later in the week so that Parcells has to prepare for both.

That said, I seriously seriously doubt it's going down this week. The best we can hope for is JC being named the #2 guy.

Posted by: CMoney | October 30, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The best we can hope for is JC being named the #2 guy.

C I will take that.

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree, if he's going to name Cambell starter, I'd imagine that he'd wait until wednesday.

1. To make it look as if Brunell was hurt and can't go.

2. To make them gameplan and practice for Brunell on Tues and Wednesday.

Posted by: Skinz | October 30, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

:) thanks editor! haa haa well i'm glad. no matter how you justify it. ;)
"gosh!" we need help!

cmoney, well if it was any other coach running this team that would be the case (about us knowing already) but el presidente gibbs runs a pretty tight ship.

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

JM, please don't go to rehab or lose your job! One of the things I enjoy about this blog is that the participants are so smart and eloquent and funny (I can't wait for the obligatory Borat riff after the movie comes out). And, for the most part, you're pretty tolerant of guys like Boofer. So stay classy, San Diego. And employed.

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 30, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Limited work = limited results.

Posted by: Jesus Gibbs | October 30, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy fans step back
Redskins season flaming wreck
Fans eat their own young

Allow me to also add my compliments for the article, Jason. While I've truly enjoyed things like giving a 3rd tier receiver first tier money, I had no idea of the magnitude of some of the mistakes made in terms of who the Redskins have LET GO, not just the overpaid bonehead signings. And hosing the draft picks too. Classic!

Salary cap hell
Danny shows business sense is
Same as with Six Flags

Posted by: Harvey Martin's Funeral Wreath | October 30, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

GREG(BOSTON)DONT YOU HAVE SNOW TO SHOVEL IT MIGHT COOL YOU DOWN!!MAYBE THE DAYS IM NOT HERE I AM ON BOY BLOG.JM 220 GO CHANGE YOUR DIAPER ALL THIS WHINING IS EMBARRASING.RAMSEY WAS DESTROYED BY MULTIPLE SYSTEMS AND NOT BEING READY.GIBBY IS TRYING NOT TO DO THE SAME WITH CAMPBELL.

Posted by: BOOFER | October 30, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the quote from Mike Nolan was pure comedy gold, thanks for that.

Posted by: Harvey Martin's Funeral Wreath | October 30, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Harvey you were a
better corner than poet
seven syllables

Posted by: Skinz | October 30, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

But Gibbs says the rotation on Sunday will be the same - Brunell 1, Collins as the backup and Jason as the No. 3

I just don't understand this. Someone please explain it to me.

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

not corner should read "D end"

Posted by: Skinz | October 30, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

WHAT?????? what's going on with Ray Brown????????? OMG! Ray Brown joined the skins coaching staff! LOL!
i'm sorry but i find that funny. did they let someone go? ohh wait...there's no limit on the # of coaches...

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Boofer, don't ever reproduce.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | October 30, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

dealer

Are you joking? Explain why Campbell is not the #2 man? This just killed my week

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

jm, what are you talking about? please tell me that's not what he said today. please.

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dealer

Go to J man injury report. Man I am so down right now

Posted by: jm220 | October 30, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

jm, i wasn't joking about ray brown. i guess they felt they needed help on the coaching staff.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer | October 30, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey there. Most of the questions are answered on the more recent post, I think.
Campebll worked with Collins today, got a bulk of the work last week.

As for the scene out here, I am out here everday, so people know where to find me whenever they have something to say about what I write. It's definitely part of the gig, and I alwasy prefer to have someone vent and say what they to say at the time rather than me not know about it and have it fester.

I am glad so many people took the time to get through that entire story, and greatly appreciate all the feedback. I've said it before and I'll say it again - you guys rock.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | October 30, 2006 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Jason, thanks for the great but sobering article on Sunday. Talk about bringing the defense's problems into sharp focus.

Just a general comment (not necessarily in reference to the article, but also to other comments on the board): I know that the defense is the main issue, but I think that we cannot overlook the offense either. There are teams out there who have powerhouse offenses but weak defenses, and they win more games than they lose. It takes effort on both sides of the ball. Sure, if our defense was tighter, forced turnovers and three-and-outs, etc, we'd be doing better - but the offense doesn't do much when they are on the field either. The offense has the potential to spell the defense, let them catch their breath, but then they end up going three-and-out, so out comes the defense (again); lather, rinse, repeat. It's not a good game when your defense is on the field more than your offense. So yes, the defense has serious problems. But let's not let the offense off the hook either. We have serious issues at QB and on the O-line that need to be addressed, and cannot be ignored. Brunell is not a QB who can fit into a Saunders offense, apparently; it still remains to be seen if Campbell and Collins are a better fit. The O-line has serious problems maintaining the pocket and protecting the QB, or making a path for the RBs. We have one stellar wide receiver, a tough tight end, and 3 decent RBs (I am throwing Duckett in there because I want to give him the benefit of the doubt), but none of them can do much if the O-line and the QB don't step up. I think the one place we might be decent is special teams - Randle El has proven to be a very good return man, and Novak is better than Hall, although I think we all agree that Frost has issues.

Ugh. I know I am rambling. Suffice to say there are problems everywhere on the team. And there is no magic bullet to fix them all.

Posted by: bandwagon blues | October 30, 2006 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Where is everyone? 30 minutes since the last post? C'mon, now I REALLY have nothing to do on a Monday afternoon...

Posted by: PSF | October 30, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse