Buccaneers vs. Redskins: Pregame

Tell us how you think running back Clinton Portis, who is listed as a game-time decision, will do today.

If You're Heading to FedEx

The Capital Weather Gang has delivered a beeeyuuteeful day. Remember that there may be a bit more of a traffic shabingus than usual, Dr. Gridlock reports, because of the Army Ten-Miler.

TwitterWorld

Follow the usual suspects: @RedskinsInsider, @HyperSkins, @JReidPost, @RickMaese, @BarrySvrluga, @dcsportsbog, @TraceeHamilton, and @MikeWiseguy.

This week, though, we're adding a new Twitter stream for those at FedEx.

The OT

After the game, Paul Tenorio will be chatting live.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 4, 2009; 9:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Win Seems Likely, Unless ...
Next: Portis Is a 'Go' to Play; the Inactive List

Comments

Ah, can't wait for all the razzle dazzle these 2 teams will bring us today!

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 4, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Do they really need to play Clinton Portis and run the risk of greater injury? The Bucs are giving up an average of 187 yards in rushing per game. We could re-sign Shaun Alexander and he could even rush for 100 yards. I think Betts and kids could do just fine...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

agreed - if they can't do it, and Portis can go in the second half; well, you've given him a half off at least

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 4, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

sit portis, give betts the start and give mason/aldridge about 15 carries/touch's....

anyone know where to watch the game online?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

RI,

My wife found a "Redskins Bar" in San Antonio. We are going to change the mojo this week.... instead of sitting in this living room watching the Sunday Ticket!!

Oh by the way, my wife wants to do this as her birthday celebration..... boy did I marry the right girl... :-)

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Good deal, Clegg - you all settled in SAT?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 4, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Time for the Skins to get healthy on the Bucs.

Posted by: edvar | October 4, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

JohnD,

We are building a house, which won't be ready until Jan. The four of us are in a 3 BR apt until then.... not fun.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 4, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

yeah - understand - hope the weather holds and it gets done sooner for you.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 4, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

bg try something called Justin.tv might not be exact but google that or Iraq gold

clegg your going to a bar when you can watch in your house? I guess I am jaded bc I have to go to the bar. Also not fortunate to have that kind of wife.......

Um.....go skins !

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

FWIW,

I just flew back in from LA and on the way there I had a layover in Charlotte. Joe Theismann was in Charlotte and I had a chance to talk to him. I asked him what is the real problem the Skins have? His answer was D. I mentioned JC locks on etc, he agreed but said the D is THE problem.

Of course, this is from a QB.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 4, 2009 9:43 AM

I agree with Joe T. A turnover prone rookie QB with a 40.5 QB rating and a nondescript RB for the Lions had career days against our defense. AND NOT A SINGLE TURNOVER.

This team is modeled after the Steelers, with their #1 defense. The Steeers D has slipped to #8 this year, and not surprisingly, they're 1-2 as a result.

Our #4 defense from last year, has slipped to #15 this year.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 4, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Deep down I think the season is over. They do not have the talent to compete in the NFL, from the front office to the field.

I read how bad Tampa Bay is, but how bad are the Redskins?

I see a 17-13 game, with either team getting the 17 points.

Posted by: pjente | October 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Today.... Today.. Today.

The Redkins surprises everybody, save for me and puts up 30....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 4, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Um.....go skins !

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 11:00 AM |

I, too, must go to a bar. My wife is now addicted and joins me every week. Except 2 weeks ago when she was at her baby shower, which she was trying to figure out how to postpone but was unsuccessful.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 4, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Portis will go for the Redskins

Posted by Tom Curran on October 4, 2009 11:15 AM ET
Redskins running back Clinton Portis, listed as questionable for today's game against Tampa Bay, will play today.

Portis was on the injury report with a calf injury but ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Portis is suffering from bone spurs in both ankles.

Portis has been by far the Redskins leading rusher this season with 183 yards. The next highest running back total has been generated by Ladell Betts, who's carried 7 times for 14 yards.

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | October 4, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Portis will go for the Redskins
Posted by Tom Curran on October 4, 2009 11:15 AM ET

Permalink 0 Comments Back to Top

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 4, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

CP is going to pla todAy, accordingto PFT

Posted by: frediefritz | October 4, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OMFG | October 4, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Our #4 defense from last year, has slipped to #15 this year.

Posted by: Alan4

Yes, without a dominant D, this team has no chance as the O can't outscore anyone. The LB's have been a step slow so far and D Hall and LL have been, well, in need of a refresher course in how to wrap-up when tackling.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 4, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

4th,
Who are the Redkins? Relatives from West Virginia?

Seriously, if the Skins put up thirty today all they have proven is a bad team can beat a worse team. I would like to see improvements in particular areas like the running game and pass rush. If they march out of this game with a win, five sacks and over 150 yards rushing, then I think I'll feel better about the team - regardless of the score.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato, on 980, says he thinks Portis will play. This comes via a tweet by @Rich_Campbell (via @RickMaese).

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 4, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Permalink 0 Comments Back to Top

Posted by: scampbell1975

Our top rusher has an average of 61 yards a game. Pathetic!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 4, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

CL,

I have to change the mojo up.... plus, it should be like group therapy being amongst other Redskins Fans....besides, I've taught my 2 yr old too many bad words this season... My 6 yr old is all to familiar w/ those words anyways....

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 4, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

That also comes via tweet by @ESPN980...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 4, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Our #4 defense from last year, has slipped to #15 this year.

Posted by: Alan4

Joey T has an ego as big as all outdoors, but he's no dummy when it comes to analyzing pro football. The exception is his preseason work, which is too suckuppy.

I THINk the real answer is the Redskin biggest problem is ownership, management, defense, offense and special teams.

Posted by: TheCork | October 4, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I know this is kind like sitting in a different seat at home to change the mojo when a game is going bad, but here goes:

Last week I predicted an easy win for the Redskins. You know the result.

So, this week, I predict an easy win for the Bucs. Josh Johnson is an elusive QB, the ones that traditionally give the skins the most trouble, in addition to vets, rookies, journeymen, lefties, righties, cheerleaders and some guy the other team shanghied off a beer truck to start against Washington.

Posted by: TheCork | October 4, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | October 4, 2009 12:06 PM

Brownwood posting today as TheCork?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 4, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

beeps

No wonder it was so lonely up here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 4, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse