Posted at 2:32 PM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Phillip Buchanon, Kevin Barnes, Macho Harris get chances in secondary

By Barry Svrluga

With both cornerback Carlos Rogers and strong safety LaRon Landry out Sunday against the New York Giants, veteran cornerback Phillip Buchanon will likely start, second-year corner Kevin Barnes should play more, and second-year safety Victor "Macho" Harris -- out of football only a week ago, when the Redskins signed him - should be active for the first time.

Buchanon started two weeks ago against Tennessee, when Rogers was out with a hamstring injury. He made his only interception of the year, one he returned 43 yards, and he has 13 pass break-ups this season, which he has spent largely as Washington's nickel back.

"He's done a good job," Shanahan said. "Phillip is very accountable. He's made some plays, and I'm very pleased with his effort and the level of play that he's played at."

The game could be most significant for Barnes, a third-round pick out of Maryland who has played in five games this season. Barnes said he expects to play in nickel packages against the Giants, largely against New York's slot receivers.

"I'm very comfortable," Barnes said. "I've been waiting for the past year-and-a-half for [my chance] to come. I've practiced hard every day. Everybody knows I give everything I have in practice, so I'm going to come out there and do what I do on the practice field."

Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has repeatedly called Barnes one of the smartest players on the defense. He made the fewest mental errors of any defender during offseason workouts, Haslett said.

"In this league, everyone on the roster usually has an opportunity to play at some point," Haslett said. "When you get that opportunity, what are you going to do with it and I think that's where Kevin is at right now. I said before: here's a guy that is 6-1; he's long-legged; he's got good feet. He was a high draft pick. Sooner or later somebody has got to give him an opportunity to play and see can he play in this league or he can't play in the league."

Barnes said Haslett's support has been essential.

"He's been one guy who's always been here, since he's been here," Barnes said. "He let me know the day he got here that he thought I could play."

Players said Harris, who spent last season with Philadelphia, will be the backup safety behind starters Reed Doughty and Kareem Moore. Harris will almost certainly play on special teams.

By Barry Svrluga  | December 3, 2010; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: LaRon Landry, Carlos Rogers out vs. Giants
Next: Golston, Haynesworth, Torain, T. Williams among the questionable

Comments

and yet despite all this was inactive for how many games this year......I don't get it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Is "mental errors" an official stat?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Bean,
What's not to get? The guys starting in front of him are better.

Posted by: mack1 | December 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

steven jackson is doing a great job with a patchwork secondary...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

We're going to need some more browsers.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

And a bigger brain, all these voices are driving me crazy!!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

yeah, mack, I mean, 7 picks in 6 years, still not knowing how to defend moves that have 2 phases to them, whats not to like there....Haslett said he thought barnes could play, but just never gave him the opportunity....right, sorry to be confused on this one....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

But first I need to concentrate and tell scamp, chia, and hess the predictions so they can type them in soon!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 2:10 PM |

How did I get roped into this?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 3, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Because we're all in a united alliance against beep-beep, plus APPARENTLY we are all the same person under different User Id's, all stuck in the same brain!!! Don't worry, hess was in denial too when I first told him, it'll eventually sync in, there's enough room in my brain for everyone!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Less than a week and Macho Harris is already in "football shape"....because I know there wouldn't be a double standard on Shanny's team. (insert tongue in cheek)

Posted by: mrx149 | December 3, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 2:55 PM |

Let me correct a couple of things in your statement. 1) I am not in a united alliance against Beep. I had an issue with him last night and told him what I thought. Still think the dude is mostly alright. 2) I don't believe he ever put me in your sock puppet gallery. 3) I've been here for quite some time so if anyone is a sock puppet in this giant fantasy world then you guys are mine.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

...there's enough room in my brain for everyone!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 2:55 PM

It smells in here monk...like two week old chinese food...yuck.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

if we were seriously in the playoff race, all these injuries would be horrible, horrible news. but... since we aren't, it's a great chance to play these backups and see what they can do.

re why hasn't barnes, a "smart" player haslett has credited w/making the fewest mistakes all offseason, hasn't played much: well, if it's not mental errors, he must physically lacking?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude is 'mostly alright'??? Uh oh, beep's brainwashed another one Play!

And that dive ass smell isn't mine, ask hess, I think he had an 'accident'!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 3, 2010 2:59 PM

It probably has a lot to do with experience.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 3, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE FAN PARTICIPATION EVENT

ASHBURN, VA -- Considering the way things are going this season -- with virtually all of their starting and supporting players down and out for one injury or another -- the Redskins have announced an open casting call at Redskins Park on Tuesday -- and are inviting anyone who might be even remotely interested in playing on the offensive or defensive lines, in the respective backfields, on the corners, in the slots, or at any of the other position on the team for their next home game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on December 12, and each successive week thereafter.

While they’re calling it “12th Man, Fan and Fantasy Player Participation Event,” Redskin Outsiders are saying the real motive behind staging the open try-outs is to avoid having to sign yet another “real” football player to yet another overpriced and under-performing pro contract, while the team zombie-walks through several more meaningless games until the end of the season, and heads out into off-season walk-out/lock out to follow.

For details, visit Redskins.com and click on the hyperlink at the “I Already Have My Own Jersey” tab.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 3, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

We're gonna win this week cause now we've got the Macho Man! OOOHHHH YYYEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!
Now go snap into your uniform and kick some ass!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Barnes has a shot, but he's gotta tackle better. The three times I noticed him on the field were three open field tackles that he completely whiffed on.

Posted by: TWISI | December 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Um, "dive ass"????

----------------------------------------------------

monk811 + PlayAction = The Dudley Boyz [without the tables, tie-dye shirts, and thick black glasses]

Most definitely RI's tag team.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Scamp...wasn't about sock puppets...just lumped you monk and chia in an post this morning...we just kinda ran with it.

You sure did smack the ahole around a little last night...from what you told him it didn't sound like you think he is "mostly alright" haha

I'll speak for monk and understand if you don't want to be in our sock puppet gang.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Most definitely RI's tag team.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I call Bubba Ray Play, guess that makes you Devon!!!!

I think that would make beep-beep Hornswaggle!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The more backups the better. I dont like most of the starters on this tram anymore. I want to see what some of the youngins have. Sign TW and Osackpo to ten years and blow the whole dern thing up.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Dudley Boyz were bad ass...thanks Red! Monk...I call Devon!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

That's the perfect name Play, we are the SPG!!! (Sock Puppet Gang!)
I like it!

Uh oh, we're losing members fast. I'd better make up a few more in my mind and restock the SPG......

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think that would make beep-beep Hornswaggle!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:22 PM

Haha...too much...thats how I picture the freak.

Damn monk...almost 4pm...and time for us to punch out on the RI timeclock.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Alright beep-beep, you can clock me out, I'm leaving, my shift on here is done!

Thanks for the Dudley reference Red, have a great weekend y'all, see you on Victory Monday!

See you at our weekly sock puppet meeting Play! SPG Out!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

See you at our weekly sock puppet meeting Play! SPG Out!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 3:32 PM

See you there...I'll be pulling a double today...just looking for my Chia_Pet puppet...where the heck did I leave it...

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 2:52 PM

What are you seeing that suggests Barnes is better than Rogers or Buchanon or Hall? Anything? Because it sounds a little like "cult of Colt" for db's.

Posted by: mack1 | December 3, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

yeah, mack, me suggesting that someone the DC is calling the smartest guy on defense, and doesn't give him any pt is exactly like cult of colt....I can see where you made the connection there...yikes...

I mean, we've seen Rogers at cb for 6 years now, and I've seen an 8 game stretch back in 2007 where he played UP TO his draft spot, but other than that, he's been a HUGE disappointment.....but good call...just leave guys like barnes on the bench.....don't ever get him any pt...makes great sense...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I love the Redskins, but I see them losing this weekend. I followed the Redskins since the 80's and the Giants seem to have our number. We can't beat'em for some reason.

Think I'm criticizing the Redskins? Remember the Giants were 0-2 and played the Redskins (Gibbs II) and beat the Redskins and went on to win the Superbowl against the Patriots? That's just one example!!

Posted by: clifton3 | December 3, 2010 3:39 PM

What about the example the same season when we went up there and smacked them in the mouth when they NEEDED the win to help secure the division and home playoff games? We knocked them to a 5 seed...I remember that example.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Rogers and Hall are better then most teams corners. I dont think that is the most pressing issue for this team. Id rather they drop one of their 5 or 6 corners we have for some more olineman of an interior orientation.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Smarter than Hyanesworth? I find that hard to believe.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Beantown's theory is that if a guy is on the bench then he must be better than the starter. The only guys on the bench are the team's Pro Bowlers. Worked with DT11, and now it works with Barnes. Next week? Austin? The ones on the practice squad, Capers etc., are even better.

Hey, Bean, "made fewer mental mistakes" is the equivalent of "she's got a great personality."

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Your not some annoying girl I dated for like two days ten years ago, are you? That snarky, sarcastic, passive aggressive thing you do in your posts is a pitch perfect imitation. I hear the voice.
Carlos Rogers is a very good corner who can't catch. Get over the double move thing. Everyone gets beat eventually.

Posted by: mack1 | December 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Everyone gets beat eventually.

Posted by: mack1 | December 3, 2010 3:56 PM

Sounds like a bad domestic violence ad.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

3/5 of the giants OL will most likely be out. If the Skins front 3 can't control their gap(s) of LOS this game, they all need to be cut this offseason.

Shawn Andrews, Shaun O'Hara sitting

* Comments1

By Matt Ehalt
Special to ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants will have to wait another week for their injured players to return.

Tackle Shawn Andrews (back) and center Shaun O'Hara (foot) both will miss Sunday's game against Washington, while tackle David Diehl (hip/hamstring) and wide receiver Steve Smith (pectoral) are doubtful for the game.

Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (leg) and cornerback/returner Will Blackmon (chest) also will miss the division matchup.

Andrews will miss his second straight game with his back injury. He has not practiced in three weeks and spent time in the hospital last week because of the injury.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Wednesday that Andrews' injury was more than just muscle, and added Thursday that Andrews is still struggling.

Diehl, the starting left tackle, has missed the past three games with his injury and it appears that he will not play Sunday. Will Beatty is projected to start his second straight game at left tackle.

"[Diehl's] working, we'll see about the ready part, he's working," Coughlin said.

Smith said he is unlikely to play Sunday, which would mark four straight games he has missed, and considers himself "day to day." He said he was told his partially torn pectoral muscle, which he suffered 22 days ago on Nov. 11, usually takes six weeks to heal. He wouldn't speculate on whether he will need three more weeks to recover.

Nicks, who will miss his second straight game, appears to be improving. He was throwing around a football during the portion of practice open to the media Friday and said he will move his running day up from Wednesday to Monday. If things go well, he possibly could begin practicing Wednesday, but he said it's up to the trainers and doctors.

He said he physically and mentally he's ready to go, but first has to get stitches out of his leg, which he hopes will happen Sunday.

It was originally projected that he would return against Philadelphia Dec. 19, but Nicks is aiming to return a week earlier against Minnesota. He made "good progress" at a doctor visit Wednesday night, according to Coughlin.

"It made me feel a little more comfortable with it," Nicks said of the doctor visit. "I'm a pretty fast healer, with a little bit of praying and taking care of my body I think I'll be all right.

With Blackmon out, Darius Reynaud would be in line to reclaim his old job.

"[Blackmon] has made progress but not as fast as you would like," Coughlin said.

Posted by: TWISI | December 3, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Everyone has their personal least favs. I can see why Carlos would be one of them for some people. But the reality is he is a good corner in the NFL not average or below average. He is far worse then he thinks he and certainly not as valuable as his agent pimps him to be, prob wasnt worth a first rounder, but he is not the reason this team loses games.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

no mack, but considering that I'm the only person whom you respond to up here, I have to think that you wish I was...

Carlos Rogers is a very good corner who can't catch. Get over the double move thing. Carlos gets beat perpetually....

fixed it for you....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

lets go KB, lets do this,

do well bro, lets get carlos outta here if he hates us fans

burn the giants

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Or what about in 2007 when 74-year-old backup Todd Collins led us to victory in a cold, swirling wind at the old Meadowlands?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Your not some annoying girl I dated for like two days ten years ago, are you?

Posted by: mack1 | December 3, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Doubt it. Unless her name was Gregetta or Gregisha? Which would both be galatically stupid names...

Though Beans does use the ellipses an inordinate amount of times in each post...so it does read like a teenage girl typed it for him...

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Sucks that Maningham wont be out. Dude owns Dhall...Glad that Nicks is out. he will be a top ten receiver for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Mack1: Bean still asks a valid question about the decision to play Barnes. Based only on what's given here, it appears that the player with "fewest mental errors" may not be the coaches first choice to play because other players are better per some (unnamed) attribute. What is that attribute? Athleticism or speed? The coaches are making some trade-off between mental and physical ability. It's just not transparent how they balance those attributes.

Posted by: chollisr | December 3, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2010 4:14 PM

Same game zilla haha

Have a nice weekend peeps

Go skins!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Rogers is the best cover CB on our team, he just can't catch. The reason that Hall has so many picks this season has a lot to do with the fact that QBs are much more likely to throw to the guy that he is covering, 'cause Carlos' man is COVERED.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 3, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Anybody catch Austin on the Lavar and Dukes show? Very creepy, Dukes was actually flirting with him. Awkward.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 3, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

fixed it for you....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 4:06 PM

Zing! That whole "fixed it for you..." thing will never get old! It's like the new "Wow...just wow"

PortisPocketsStr8, I hope you're doing well and have a great weekend.
(See Greg, I don't only respond to the stupid (your) posts.)

Posted by: mack1 | December 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Now hold on just a minute there, PPStr8... if you're going to criticize someone for excessive usage of ellipses up here... well, I just don't know what to say about that... it's a tic I developed whilst posting comments on RI... I don't recall ever having a proclivity for it before... and while I realize it's silly, it does serve a purpose... at least I think it does...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2010 4:27 PM

New handle: Nate...in...the...PDX

(I still think HeNateMe was the bomb).

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Darius Reynaud would be the best RB of the group if he were on the skins.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Nate...Also, no hard feelings Bean...not trying to run you off here...or anything like that...

What happened to blog...result of bad season I guess? Or maybe I just miss the good stuff...and only catch to battles

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 4:34 PM

Stu--I think Adrian Peterson would be the best if he were on the Skins.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Naw shanny wants to run zone so I would take C Johnson. Lichteschizer is to fast, AP couldn't keep up w his down field blocks.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

What happened to blog...result of bad season I guess?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 3, 2010 4:36 PM

I don't think so. About all the Redskins have had since the blog started were bad seasons. If it weren't for bad seasons, there wouldn't be any seasons at all.

A lot of good posters have moved on for whatever reason -- pdiddy, moodleymoodleymoo, Redcoat. Others, like ChrisLarrY, dcsween, RedDMV, learnedhand have reduced their presence. And a lot of the newer, more vocal posters are, well, "different."

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Same game zilla haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 4:19 PM

Oh yeah, you're right. Heh.

But that was such a great win, it should count for two wins.

I mean, it got Todd Collins on the cover of AARP Magazine, for goodness sakes!

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Now go snap into your uniform and kick some ass!

Posted by: monk811 |

Which uniform do you think he'll pick? Indian? Policeman? Construction worker?

Posted by: TheCork | December 3, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I received the highest honor a visiting fan can receive at giants stadium the last time we won there in 2007

giants fans were throwing snowballs at me at the clock wound down for our victory on that cold night in nj

being at the game for a road division win is f-in sweet

hope to see yall there sunday, though i dont like our chances

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Um, there's a new post posted.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

And a lot of the newer, more vocal posters are, well, "different."

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 4:44 PM |
---------------

JuSt BeInG DiFfErEnT UP-UP oVeR hErE bOsS !

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey-al yes , play the young guys - why not ? The future is DEFINATLY not now, it's , umm, the future ! If Shan/Allen is to rebuild this team it's gonna take a lot of new blood , sooner begun sooner done ...

Posted by: RoidRage | December 3, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse