Bugel Pleased with O Line Personnel, Progress

As Rick Maese pointed out in this morning's Post, much of the furor over the Redskins' offensive line -- which looked just a tad shaky early in camp -- has died down, particularly after a solid showing by the first unit in Saturday's 17-13 exhibition victory over Pittsburgh. Coach Jim Zorn said he was very pleased with the pass protection in particular.

Tuesday, offensive line coach Joe Bugel -- he of the 32 NFL seasons -- offered his assessment. And Bugel is quite pleased, particularly with the first unit of (right to left) Stephon Heyer, Randy Thomas, Casey Rabach, Derrick Dockery and Chris Samuels.

"The first team's been really good," Bugel said before the team's afternoon workout. "They're molding together. They've got great chemistry. If we can keep that bunch healthy, I think we'll have a very, very good offensive line. That first group is communicating together. They have a great respect for each other. I'm real proud of them."

Bugel reinforced that one of the main questions of the offseason -- who would take over for veteran Jon Jansen at right tackle -- has been solved. Third-year Maryland product Stephon Heyer, who entered camp battling Jeremy Bridges and Mike Williams, will almost certainly be the starter when the team opens the season Sept. 13 at the New York Giants.

"Stephon Heyer is way ahead of everybody," Bugel said. "He's a legit tackle. He's improved tremendously. This is his third year. He deserves to be the starter. He's been through all kind of torment and torture by me for three years. He deserves this opportunity. He's taken advantage of it."

With the starters set, Bugel is spending a good deal of time trying to evaluate which backups deserve to make the team. Of particular concern is Williams, the veteran who missed the Pittsburgh game and could sit out again against New England because of an ankle injury. Though Bugel said he liked what he saw of Williams in the Baltimore game, Williams -- who lost more than 110 pounds after three years without football -- needs to get on the field to prove he belongs.

"Everything's taken into consideration," Bugel said. "If a guy's going to miss the season because he's hurt -- I think nagging injuries, at one point you have to say, 'I'm playing.' Tape an aspirin on it. Tape an Alka-Seltzer on it. Let it dissolve. Play.

"I wake up every morning hurting from head to toe. This is a violent game. You're gonna be hurting. If you're not hurting, you're standing over with me on the sideline. It's time to wrap it up. The old days, Alka-Seltzer was a large aspirin. Let it dissolve. It was well. It was better. [There are] a lot of opinions today. I'm looking for the physical, the violent, smart guys. Whoever that ends up being, that's the guys that'll make it. If you're not violent and you're not physical and you can't practice, 'Hey, you had a great camp, son.'." And with that Bugel waved goodbye.

Other assessments: Bugel said that third-year guard/center Will Montgomery has been the surprise of the preseason.

"He's had a stellar camp," Bugel said. "He's a rough, tough guy. He was here every single day. I don't want to beat on wood, but he's the type of guy you'd have to sledgehammer him to get him off of practice."

Bugel has moved third-year man D'Anthony Batiste from guard to tackle because of injuries to Williams and Devin Clark, a practice squad member last year. He moved Edwin Williams, a rookie from Maryland, from center to guard, and said Williams has been a "pleasant surprise" who has a great body for football.

"He has a real chance," Bugel said. "He has a legitimate chance, because he can whack you. You got to stay on him. My foot's been in his [rear] ever since he's been here. That's the way it goes. I think he can take that tough lovin'."

Bugel was asked, finally, whether he liked facing the league's top two defenses -- Baltimore and Pittsburgh -- and then New England, a very capable unit, in the preseason. He considered the question before saying, emphatically, "I like this."

"I like playing those three teams and ending up with Jacksonville because you find out who you really are," Bugel said. "If you don't wear a jock strap, you're going to be in trouble. These guys know how to play, because they'll knock them off. I'm so pleased with the way our group has adjusted to this, because a lot of these kids I was afraid they were going to go ask Ray Lewis for his autograph after the game."

Face Time with Zorn

Dan Steinberg has the latest installment of "Faces of Zorn," the gift that keeps on giving to Cheeseboy. Okay, it's not as good as the time Joy Zorn mwahed the coach on the Capitals' KissCam, but it'll do.

Steinberg also has former child gymnast DeAngelo Hall talking trash about J.J. Redick and, um, the guy at 1600 Pennsylvania.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 25, 2009; 1:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell's 'Just Weathering the Storm'
Next: Seems Like Old Times with Springs in FedEx

Comments

Faust

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The "furor" had indeed died down, but a tempestuous cloud looms ominously over the horizon.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's the video of the interview !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

4-12,

My blog vector has shifted eastward, and south... to the land of the Salt Lake.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Love Buges but still worry more about the line.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I love Buge's fire. He feels he can coach any tough 300 pounder into a lineman. If Rhinehart and other youngsters can get some minutes this season they should come along nicely. That--and a few FAs after the last pre-season cuts.

Posted by: pgugino | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

... Tuesday, offensive line coach Joe Bugel -- he of the 32 NFL seasons --

How nice. One season for every team in the NFL. With that accomplishment under his belt mebbe he can contemplate retirement. Or mebbe not. If the OL prospers this season Snyder will want him back. And who can say no to Danno?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Why did ZORN say this to JC after practice? Is he thinking about changing QB this year.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Bugel is the man! F haters of Buges.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Only the great Joe Bugel could sew this group of ragged yarns into a comfortable sweater.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Love Buges but still worry more about the line.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 1:58 PM

I agree with you ! But why did he say this abou CS in his interview.

Love Buges but still worry more about the line.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 1:58 PM

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I doubted buges last year with how he handled Jansen, I'm hopeful that some of these younger guys can pan out....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The wound, it itches.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 2:00

LOL,

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The wound, it itches.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 2:02 PM

Itches me to.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Addendum.

The O line, run game and defense were better than average, as was the hustle. I think the fans want a QB that wins games and trophies; no matter his name is.

--------------------------------------

BeantownGreg1 I was at the game, and believe me both screen pass plays had no chance. The throw that was really bad was the third down one to Moss that was high. Moss had 10 YAC on that one. Interestingly enough, on the first deep ball to Kelly, Moss had come WIDE open on the crossing route about 15-20 yards down field. I understand the skins wanting to get/giving a look at the ball, but I would hope that JC would have gotten Moss the ball on that one during the regular season.

Posted by: TWISI | August 24, 2009 9:20 AM

---------------------------------------

This description seems to pertain to reading the field and releasing the ball on time, not so much accuracy. Unfortunately, soupy has progressed little since his sophomore year at Auburn. He reminds me of Jay Schroeder with a higher completion %, yet less Pro-Bowls and playoff appearances. Or more like Schuler, Gus (who at least went 9-7), Ramsey, and George. I think soup will be replaced by week 5 if DC is 1-3.

Posted by: Realness1 | August 24, 2009 4:20 PM

Posted by: Realness1 | August 25, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... moving the MD Center to Guard... who brought that up just after the draft... hmmm....

That MD to Skins line connection could prove fruitful in the long term. Undervalued, cohesive, smart players can beat a single pedigree from Michigan or elsewhere...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Should have said "knit," not "sew."

Only the great Joe Bugel could knit this group of ragged yarns into a comfortable sweater.

(in honor of Dave Sampselle.)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 2:06 PM

You do have a point. here's some video of the line breaking down during the game.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

You have a point too, mary - luckily your hair covers it up nicely.

... kinda flat forehead, too.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

From the times, good stuff about RT:

"That first group is communicating and have a great respect for each other," Bugel said. "I’m proud of them because we’ve played two excellent defenses. We had major guys coming off injury. We had to really watch Randy and now, he’s back where he was 4-5 years ago. He has that kind of wallop."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

HIRE_ MARTY_S - you my friend are annoying scum. How old are you 14? Go play on some other kid blog

Posted by: scottmando | August 25, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sure, i'm all sentimental and fetishistic on Buges, he's Redskin history, but the fact remains , the O-line sucked at the end of last year, and we have some depth issues, if Samuels is gonna be in the shop every Monday, who is there to keep the blindside shutdown if he goes down?? More power to the Buges (the worms eat away, but the worryworts will win)..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Tell me how many times has Campbell taken the ball down in the last two minutes of play to win a game or scored in the last two minutes of the first half. Tell me, nitwits.

Posted by: getitritegov

In 2008, I counted 8 times that Campbell led 4th quarter drives that either put us in the lead or tied us up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

d'ANTHONY BATISTE is having to fill in at reserve RT b/c of WILLIAMS' injury at that position and CLARK who was hurt playing out of position at LT? Where is JEREMY BRIDGES? It's a disservice to d'AB, and he looked lost in the PITT game. Not surprising. Against the RAVENS at LG, he and MONTGOMERY at C held their own with the second string. Put him back there. He is NOT a right tackle, and probably will end up hurt by playing out of position just as CLARK has.

FROM the mouth of the crusty one, it's obviously make or break time for MIKE WILLIAMS. I just can't see the man losing 110 pounds since January and having his body hold up to the pounding playing o-line in the NFL brings. Put him on the practice squad with DANIEL and HENSON. Let his body adjust to the rigors of life in the pit more slowly, then try him again later this year when someone goes down along the line, because we all know someone will. They almost always do.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 25, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

We must've been down by only 3 most of those times because he didnt lead us on too many touchdown drives. Better question - when is the last time we enjoyed a 2 TD lead thanks to SOUP?

Posted by: scottmando | August 25, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, it sounded like they were ready to let BMW go. Hey, he was a good distraction for Redskins Nation... egh.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

frak

"...the O-line sucked at the end of last year, and we have some depth issues, if Samuels is gonna be in the shop every Monday, who is there to keep the blindside shutdown if he goes down??"

Injuries can be a bad/good thing.

If Moss gets hurt, that's bad.

If Portis gets hurt, that's bad.

If Cooley gets hurt, that's bad.

But if Randle El gets hurt, well....

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 25, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

HIRE_ MARTY_S - you're my friend. How are you getting this great video ?

Posted by: scottmando | August 25, 2009 2:16 PM

Thanks buddie!

Here's some new video of today's practice.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

what, no beeps?

Beeps, peeps!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow....

I missed alot. But I have to agree with RedDMV Re: JC and racisim.

I never was in the Obama Camp and it pained me to see all my fellow Black People to flock to him blindly w/o actually vetting the dude. Like Chris Rock said, 'I don't want to vote for President like I am going to the Ice Cream Parlor. "I want Chocalate!"'

Campbell - Same way. We are blinded by the # he bares.....

Other Black QBs I'd rather have - BLeftwich, Tarvaris Jackson, Mike Vick, Josh Johnson, Aaron Brooks.......

The last QB we would all be on agreeance on would be Brad Johnson....

And I saw no one mentioned Jeff Hostetler. Hostetler to Ellard was gold!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM

Here's some video of them drives.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The camp comp may have woken Randle El's 'mungus ego up, though.. I heard Marko AND Randle had solid camps..Randle may have just needed a little wakeup call..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, scottmando, everybody, there are now two tools at our disposal:

1. ignore the assclown, AKA "ITA"

2. "Report abuse"

Learn it, know it, live it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM

Z, I only count NO, StL, Sea, SF. Can you tell me the other four games you're counting. I may have missed some.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 25, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The team needs to grab a tackle. Samuels and Heyer are the only decent tackles on the roster and neither one of them was able to stay healthy throughout last season. Heck, Samuels' knee is already bothering him and Heyer had to sit out some practice because of bruised knee. Bridges didn't look too good at tackle and Williams, when not injured, has not looked that awesome either. Time to admit reality gang, and that reality is the team doesn't have all of the pieces it needs on the offensive line...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Unfortunately, soupy has progressed little since his sophomore year at Auburn. He reminds me of Jay Schroeder with a higher completion %, yet less Pro-Bowls and playoff appearances. Or more like Schuler, Gus (who at least went 9-7), Ramsey, and George."Posted by: Realness1"

Wow. I wonder if 'realness' must have his flatscreen HDTV mounted backwards on his rec room wall, because he seems to see thing the reverse of the way I do.

Point One: there's no QB I can think of that JC resembles less than Jay Schroeder.

Point Two: Right after Schroeder I'd list Shuler.

Point Three: Jeff George is one of the great deep throwers ever. Campbell is, well, not.

Point Four: Ramsey threw the ball through the receiver's sternum (something JC doesn't do).

Point Five: JC not only improved since soph year at Auburn, he improved the most from junior to senior year at Auburn. Team went undefeated and won a share of a national title, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Now where are the self made GM that predicted the O-Line will never be good, slowly you are all putting your foot in your mouth; by the way, that includes the cult of interception throwing Colt Brennan

Posted by: abxinc | August 25, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor: "Other Black QBs I'd rather have - BLeftwich, Tarvaris Jackson, Mike Vick, Josh Johnson, Aaron Brooks...."

What about Bill Clinton?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

o line did look better, except down at the goal line where it counts. switching to the d line, Jarmen should be starting over Daniels by mid-season

Posted by: coparker5 | August 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm concerned there was no push on the goal line(Portis would have scored though) and there is no adequate depth at tackle if Heyer or Samuels goes down.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 25, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, the starting offensive line may be "good" but it's still "bad." Bugel teed it up for y'all. If one of the starting tackles goes down, especially if Samuels goes down, it's a "disaster." The odds of that happening at least for a game or two is very high. This has the potential to undermine the whole season, just as it did last year. I oubt it will be truly addressed in the offseason, as I don't expect the Redskins to resign Campbell, and therefore several high draft picks will be spent acquiring the next quarterback to go with the next system. Is this the worst managed team in the NFL?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 26, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I would like to memorize this interview like it was the gettysburg address.

Posted by: vincentc | August 26, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse