Bugel to announce retirement

Joe Bugel will announce his retirement today at Redskins Park, the Redskins have said in a statement released by the team.

It was widely expected that Bugel, 69, would retire after the season, given the changes that were looming at Redskins Park after a 4-12 season.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 13, 2010; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gruden praises Shanahan's ability to adjust to personnel
Next: Redskins now must replace irreplaceable Bugel

Comments

Thanks Buges for helping the Skins win some super bowls and thanks for coming back and trying to help them get there again. Kudos with the work you did with a line that probably couldn't have on a junior high team this year. Enjoy your retirement!

Posted by: forever8-8 | January 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

As someone who lives up here and has been to many a philly game (baseball, football, hockey – never actually been to a sixers game) Red, it would be a CERTAINTY, that you would find the trouble you “wish” for. I agree with you, their fans are horrible. Not every single fan of course, but most philly fans like to claim that a few bad apples ruin their rep. Well, let’s just say that if the typical fanbase of a city/team has 1% bad apples, then Philly has at least 20%.....even the chicks will throw down. The worst thing is that the 20% who are “bad” are actually proud of it. They will actually razz little kids if dad brings them to their first game and they so much as wear the other team’s hat. Pretty sad actually. Most of the folks I work with won’t take their kids to an Eagles game until they are at least 14, and they are Eagles fans.

Don’t wear any skins gear you cherish to an Eagles game, because it WILL get ruined. Period. And if you are looking for it, you better bring 10 friends…. I would love to be able to wear my skins stuff to games up here, but unfortunately, it’s just the smart thing not to. It is ridiculous, but it’s just smart. Shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 13, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for everything Buges. A class act and true Redskin.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

RING OF FAME
Then
HALL OF FAME

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The Glory Years is just about fully out of sight now...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Buges,

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Buges for all the wonderful memories and your dedication to the Skins.

Posted by: TWISI | January 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Love ya, Buges. Best of luck in retirement!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Haze,

From living in South philly myself for 4 years I would add to your statement "The worst thing is that the 20% who are “bad” are actually proud of it. " The other 80% are as proud of it as well, they are just not gonna act.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The 'Skins won't be the same. I'll miss seeing his old, wrinkly, puzzled face on the sideline. I just think about how much worse the OL would've been w/out him. Cheers to you sir.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

With Blatche still on the payroll...I see Blatche giving a good full analysis of every defensive player out there to Haslett. Letting him know who needs more needeling then others.

I see good things for this defense. Especially OSackpo, AMontgomery, Gohlston, And HAynesworth.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I guess Alex Gibbs is still under contract in Atlanta. He'd be the one to get.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Buges retired

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2010 10:24 AM

4th Floor beating the WaPo by ... wait ... how does 4th's post post-date the new thread ... which wasn't there at 10:20? Anyway, not surprising. What would be surprising, now that they've hired Haslett, would be if Blache has NOT (yet) retired.

Bigfoot, the batteries and CP's mom are separate incidents. CP's mom got a beer spilled on her (and she responded by punching the offending beer-spiller* in the nose). Also, the batteries are separate from the booing of Santa Claus.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh ... maybe that's it ... maybe Joe Bugel wanted to retire BEFORE the team announced that they had signed the new offensive line coach.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Buges has been superior his whole tenure in D.C., an old-school, hard-nosed football guy who got results and churned out an awful lot of superior offensive linemen (nice to see Grimm up for the Hall, but how about Jacoby???). Best of luck in everything Coach!

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 | January 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

--- ------ - ----

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

have to agree with red, on certain things, however let me preface that I'd NEVER go to a game in philly for starters, that just wouldn't happen, but I tell my kids take nothing from nobody, someone hits you, you don't hit them back, you come UNGLUED, I can't stand bullies...I'd stand up for myself, no matter what the circumstances, I'd defend myself....

thanks to buges for his years of service....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for everything, Buges!

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Few, if any, Redskins are loved more than Buges, that's for sure. A good man, a great coach, and phenomenal leader.

Posted by: jive_turkey | January 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for a lot of good offensive lines, Mr. Bugel.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

Usually when I roll to the game I go with a group homies.

Have they ever thought: "If I were to lay hands on this guy, is it a chance he could be strapped?"

They should, just sayin'.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

From the Svrugla article linked at the top ... "I could tell you," center Casey Rabach said, "but it'd be all bleeps. I mean, he loves to use the F-word a lot."

I hope that Mr. Bugel considers a career transition to joining us as a poster up here.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I guess Alex Gibbs is still under contract in Atlanta. He'd be the one to get.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 13, 2010 10:35 AM

He's actually joining Carroll's staff in Seattle. Not sure why, but I don't think Shanny even made a run at him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The other problem with Philly fans is that they make sure the odds are in their favor. You will not be in a 1 on 1 fight. It's typically 15 on 3. Don't act like a tough guy or they will jump you. Roll in a large group and try to bring that crazy guy. Every group of friends has that crazy guy. He's kind of annoying at times and may get you arrested but you'll need him there if anyone starts any crap.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 13, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Usually when I roll to the game I go with a group homies.
They should, just sayin'.
Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:40 AM

Well, they might be scared to actually fight, but unless you sit in the very top row, you WILL get all sorts of food/drinks/snowballs, whatever thrown down at you. Guarantee it.

Unless they are playing the Mets, or a playoff or otherwise important game, Phillies games can actually be a good time. Much more of a “family” atmosphere than Eagles or Flyers games. But I still wouldn’t wear an O’s or Nats jersey. Still a chance that it would get ruined with ketchup/mustard/beer. Just wearing an opposing hat won’t draw much, unless it’s a mets hat.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 13, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

we knew it was coming, but i still don't want to face it. what a class act! the nfl looses a big piece today.

we love you buges!!!! you're a true redskin!!!!!

Posted by: cancunlizzard | January 13, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Your Starting 3-4 line could look like this
Jarmon, Jeremy, DE, 6'3", 277
Montgomery, Anthony, NT, 6'6", 330
Alexander, Lorenzo, DE, 6'1", 297

Al, when Haynes is one of the best DL in the league, why is he not starting in the 3-4 alignment??

-Bg

Reason I am pulling Haynsworth out is due to word that he does not like playing NT and I would use 3-4 when he is on the sideline at the oxygen machine.

See the full idea I had here: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/19550737
as RI won't let me post anything this long

Your Starting linebackers in a 4-3 can look like
OLB-?
MLB-LFB
OLB-RMac

Your Staring linebackers in a 3-4 can look like
OLB-Orakpo
ILB- LFB (not ideal for the spot though)
ILB- ?
OLB-RMac

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse
I like your thinking. But it might be even easier than that.

Starting with your 4-3:
Carter..Griffin..Haynie..Orakpo
Wilson..LFB...Rocky

bring in LoAlex for Wilson and have
Griff...Haynie...LoAlex
Carter...LFB...Rocky...Orakpo

Then you can slide LL up into an 8 man front and have a 3-5*

*Championship!

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

al, then why not at one of the end spots?

that line, is nothing short of weak....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Glory Years" influence will be totally exorcised (good or bad) once the Gibbs 2.0 picks have departed.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Glory Years is just about fully out of sight now...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2010 10:29 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:53 AM

The 3-4* package would know when to get ready ... right when Albert takes a knee, looks down, and points to the sky.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Who rolls to a game with a gun? Just as ignorant as the jackasses you are talking about dealing with.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 13, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Greg,
I would love to see it I just don't think Al would do it.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Buges... can't say enough... for the memories of Burgundy and Gold greatness... 70-Chip and Riggo, to the O-Line domination of Denver.

A class act. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 13, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Freddie, playing Fletch and Rocky at ILB would leave us completely vulnerable to the rush up the middle. And if you thought Haynesworth hated the scheme this year, just wait until he's nothing more than a $100 million decoy in a 3-4 at NT.

Draft some LBs that could play ILB and a NT, THEN make the switch. Until then, stay with the 4-3 or just have a couple 3-4 packages.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

This is what I am thinking, I think we should have a 3-4 package next year, If we keep Monty, he is a solid fit for that NT spot, right size at least.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"...what does Jerry Gray get for taking a bullet for The Owner?"

What do they give a black coach who interviews for job he knows he won't get to help his white boss, then loses the job he has?

A year of unemployment and time to watch the Spike Lee movie "Bamboolzed".

'Cuz they sure played Mr. Gray in a bad way.

Or did he do it to himself?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

It's like four or five us per 10 people. And of course, yours truly included.

We're usually cool customers though for real. It's just that you have people out here think that they're the only ones who can wild out, or stopped making forms of protection when they made theirs.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Buges, thanks for all the hard work, dedication, and memories. You were everything that was great about the Skins.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Your Starting 3-4 line could look like this
Jarmon, Jeremy, DE, 6'3", 277
Montgomery, Anthony, NT, 6'6", 330
Alexander, Lorenzo, DE, 6'1", 297

-Bg

as RI won't let me post anything this long
___________________________________________

I gotta think in a 3-4 you're gonna see 92 as a DE... with Jarmon/Alexander on the other side... they'd have to go and find a true NT...

But this does get SacPo as a full time rush backer tracking everything down from the blindside, playing off of Paynesworths fata$$.

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"I think we should have a 3-4 package next year, If we keep Monty, he is a solid fit for that NT spot, right size at least."

We still need linebackers with size and speed.

A package is a good idea, but without players to disguise it, I dunno.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

bebp

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

he was poorly coached by REdskins PR in his media response(s). It unfairly exposed him as being disloyal to Zorn.
The real non-class move was Snyder or his henchmen (Donovan) not stepping up and saying they approached to him.. He didnt go behind Zorn's back and initiate the interview. The Front Office kept quiet and let him squirm on the hook.
====================================
moe wrote..

"...what does Jerry Gray get for taking a bullet for The Owner?"

A year of unemployment and time to watch the Spike Lee movie "Bamboolzed".

'Cuz they sure played Mr. Gray in a bad way.

Or did he do it to himself?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 11:03 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 13, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 13, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. That could be the most moronic thing I've seen someone post on RI.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Guys,
I'm seeing Anthony Montgomery being tossed around alot. Unless, Haslett finds a way to motivate the lazy SOB, he could be gone. It appears we should have cut him and kept Antonio Dixon (the U). Word on Montgomery has always been that the sky is the limit for him, but he had horrible desire and work ethic. If he had Golston's heart he could be a top tier DT...

I wouldn't count on him at all and his contract may be up anyhow.

Posted by: EinVB | January 13, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 13, 2010 11:04 AM

I agree with this. I think the Skins would sign two NT a vet, and a rookie. Big Al can move inside on occasions.

Posted by: TWISI | January 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston

Before you go all "Mighty Moral" and sh_t you should know that I wouldn't carry it into the stadium or arena... I couldn't if I wanted to.

Yeah, I have "protection". A few forms actually. Do I carry one with me at times? You bet your ass I do.

When you have a few nice things and people know this, they're literally gunning for you... I make sure I'm "good" when I go to certain neighborhoods or when I'm going out for a night on the town. People are plotting on you more than you believe, and where I'm from it's trendy for someone to take what they want by any means necessary.

And again, before you go "Mighty Moral" you couldn't understand what I'm talking about because you're not from where I'm from nor live the life I live, and that's not to say that I live illegit at all.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

good guy. hopefully he'll cease dyeing his hair now that he'll be playing shuffle board somewhere.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 13, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Buges is one of those guys that you want on your side. He appears to be a guy that you would want in a fox hole!

Posted by: joeboggs | January 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

After the season ended and the head rolling began I knew Joe would leave. I am glad he gets to leave on HIS TERMS, not Snyder's.

Thank you Joe for the Hogs. They were the best bunch of Redskins players ever. Never was there a unit of players so united in their desire to win - they won 3 Super Bowls.

Best wishes for whatever your new life as an former Redskins coach holds for you.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | January 13, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy your retirement Joe Bugel, you deserve it and thank you for your many years with the Redskins. You will always be a Washington Redskin! HAIL!!!

Posted by: ladyredskins | January 13, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Buges is exhibit A, along with Dick LeBeau, Tom Moore, Monte Kiffin and a few others, for voting assistant coaches into the Hall of Fame

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse