Buzbee Ready to Take Another Shot at a Spot

Alex Buzbee's season ended last year on the first day of Redskins training camp when he ruptured his Achilles' tendon and was subsequently placed on injured reserve. Now, the former Georgetown defensive end is on the field trying again to earn a spot on a roster that features several new faces on the defensive line.

Buzbee spent most of the past 10 months doing rehabilitation work in the weight room, working especially to strengthen the calf muscle on his right leg before returning to the field for the first time during minicamp in May.

"That first minicamp it was definitely [tentative], but as the practices kept going on and on it felt more and more comfortable [and] it felt like it was getting stretched out," Buzbee said. "I didn't feel like I was coming off the ball quite as good as I was last year, but even this OTA compared to the last three weeks, the OTA we had three weeks ago, it feels stronger and more explosive. So I think by training camp in July I should be back to where I was."

Buzbee faces competition for a reserve spot on a line that added veteran Renaldo Wynn, superstar defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo, and also re-signed veteran Phillip Daniels, who missed all of last season with a knee injury he suffered on the first day of training camp.

"Just [have to] stay focused and stay healthy pretty much," Buzbee said. "I think if I focus on those two things, I mean nothing's guaranteed, but I can give myself a good shot to make this team. Just got to do what the coaches ask, keep getting better and improving and I'll give myself a shot."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 8, 2009; 2:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth's Case Continued to July 21
Next: Skins Call Off Today's OTA

Comments

What did Apple announce today that got geeks across the land amped up?

Also, does someone know where I can find this JZ song (DOA)? I heard he performed it right next to T-Pain....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping both Daniels and Buzbee have better luck this year. Would be awfully nice to see both of them in the rotation contributing. Getting anything out of Buzbee would be a bonus... I had completely forgotten about this dude.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm sayin, was the "beep" thing associated with La Canfora only?

4th, you mean Jay-Z and his song "Death of Autotune"?

I don't know where you can find it, I get my music through questionable resources. I hate i-tunes and what not.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 8, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Big Nate how is it going? How is the family?

Posted by: jm220 | June 8, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Alex Buzbee.... he truly defines grace under pressure.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | June 8, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

umm, LimeWire or KaZaa has DOA, just put it on a CD yesterday.

Good stuff.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Apple announced the iPhone 3Gs. 2X faster than the 3G. Comes with a video camera, a new 3MegaPixel still camera, a lot of software that may work with the 16G 3G. Plus now has 32G of memory ... that is a **real** computer ... no doubt about it.

Posted by: periculum | June 8, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"But the undrafted free agent who became the first Georgetown product since 1956 to be on an active NFL roster is hopeful he can once again earn a spot."

That is some dry spell!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 8, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

requisite 'howdy' s to the regs. JM, nice to see you got your name back.

Here's a stupid question (and, boy, don't I always have 'em...).

Why is it so rare for a humungous D lineman to make the switch to humungous O lineman?! Are the skill sets similar? Wouldn't an experienced converted D Lineman have the advantage of knowing how his opponent is thinking?

You never really hear about that happening and it just seems so natural to me.

dimelo, chicos

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 8, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

4th, if you just want to listen DOA, it's on youtube.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | June 8, 2009 3:39 PM

WTF!?!? Is it even a phone anymore? What is it's primary duty? How much will that cost? $999.99?

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why but I have rooted for Buzbee from the get go. Has to be the cool name. Though you ask me he should be playing for the now extinct Frankford Yellow-jackets.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

*Hip Hop Talk*

I think Jay-Z is on a quest to smash Lil Wayne's self-proclamation as "The Greatest Rapper Alive".

I don't think Jay doesn't like him, or doesn't really f with him like that. I do think he takes exception to Wayne calling himself that when Jay is still a powerful voice in hip hop.

Can anyone remember when Lil Wayne didn't use the autotune at all on his songs? I can't, and if Jay smashes the autotune era, that cancels out T-Pain without a doubt.

T-Pain is all auto, and no tune.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 8, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

umm, LimeWire or KaZaa has DOA, just put it on a CD yesterday.

Good stuff.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 3:38 PM

Can't those music search engines get you in hot "fed" water?

Truth, does it rock for real, or does it "TheTruth11" rock? Is it a chill-vibe track, club, or street track?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I listened to it. I like it, but I don't like it. (DOA)

I like the message (No more Autotune and Skinny Jeans). But, JZ still sounds like a verse biter. It sounded like he ripped off some Biggie lines (AGAIN) and just some same ol same ol talking....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually, yes, RedDMV, I can.

See : The Carter 1 or The Carter 2.

As for Jay-Z, he has no beef with Wayne really. He tried bringing Wayne to Rocafella. Wayne was a fool not to go.

Wayne might sell some more money, but it seems like each month he loses respect in the hip hop community. If he would've went to the ROC, he would've kept that respect and made plenty money. Wayne is a punk now.

but that new Kobe Bryant song is kinda the Wayne from four or five years ago, just sick.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

it's not biting Biggie's rhymes...

Stop your blood cot crying
The kids, the dog, everybody dying
No lying

that's just using a line...you can't HIDE the fact that you're using a BIG line and try to make it look like your own...BIG's discography is so small that anytime one of his lines is used, it is recognized. That's the point. And those three lines, when Jay used them in DOA, stood out so much it was obvious...

plenty of Jay-Z stuff is just as good as, if not better than, BIG's best lines. Dude has no reason to bite....

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"Have you seen junior's grades?"

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 8, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I can answer this with another question:

Have you ever seen Star Trek The Next Generation? Remember the Tricorder?

Steve Jobbs will not be happy till Mac had developed a hand held do all device, a teleporter and a star-ship capable of interstellar travel.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 4:00 PM |

I will be happy when they can give me one of those little injections into my neck that will make all that ails me go away. Specifically, that which ails me after a night of binge drinking…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 8, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

it's more of a gimmick track Red. I was bumping it right away, but it's not really a banger. Hard to describe really. The beat is pretty nice though, and Jay-Z is just Jay-Z.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 8, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

In Star Trek they call it a Hypo-spray. Mac's working on it right now, it will look a bit different, it will be white and silver, have a touch screen and be called the I-Healthy.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

$199.99 for the 16G version. I believe $299.99 for the 32G version.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 8, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I gotta sample DOA when I get home... y'all got me gassed.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 8, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"...umm, LimeWire or KaZaa has DOA, just put it on a CD yesterday..."

I gave up limewire the second time my hard drive got fried.

Yes: I know no one like itunes, but there is the argument that so much of modern pop music sounds the same because companies will only record what does sell.

I already own the top notch, choice selections from 50s/60s jazz to 70s rock to 70s funk to old school hip hop, some grunge, and the golden age: 1989-1998 classic hip hop.

I'm not impresses by "DOA." Beyonce is the best thing Jay-Z has going for himself, but, let me tell you, that's a heckava thing to have.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Alex Buzbee is a fine fellow.

But, alas, he won't make the final roster.

Rob Jackson and one of the drafted linbebackers will take his place on the roster.

Mr. Buzbee will get the chance to put that G-Town education to some use this Fall.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 8, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a biter
I'm a writer
For myself and others
I say a B.I.G. verse I'm only biggin up my brother
Biggin up my borough
I'm big enough to do it
I'm that thorough
Plus I know my own flow is foolish
- Jay Z

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

took a bit of time for my LaRon Landry thoughts to come together.

Defenses need leaders. Most of these leaders are guys that call the plays for the defense -- typically the MLB (ILB) or free safety. They are the guys that make sure people are in the right position, pay attention the little details, do the fundamentals right, inspire players and make lots of plays.

Some of the safeties that have done this? The iggles had brian dawkins. We had Ken Houston. The 49ers had Ronnie Lott. Because of their leadership skills and game knowledge, they were effective players even after their physical skills diminished.

We have London Fletcher, who is an outstanding leader of the 'D'. Trouble is, he won't last forever. The natural replacement for Fletcher in that role IS LaRon Landry. He has all the physical gifts.

But ... natural leaders don't skip camp early in their career and they DO have enough respect for the coaches to return phone calls.

Though its only OTAs and I don't want to overstate it, Landry's behavior is a real disappointment. Because it speaks to his leadership. Whether that leadership is present or absent remains to be seen. But it can make a big difference to the team -- for many years.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 8, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

jm220, things are good here, thanks for asking, my friend. Still job hunting, but aside from that, it's hard to complain. Hope things are good in your little corner of the Garden State.

Speaking of "regulars", my man Bucktown Skins Fan just moved out here to Portland. Finally a little payback since Stumptown Chris and Chia Pet have flown the coop in the past year. (Chia Pet moves awfully quickly for an inanimate object made of clay.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, man, all you "regulars" are so cool!

lol

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like an order of Beef on the Ground, and I'll have a large order of fries to go with that please."

So, Mike Williams is weighing in at 370, a mere 20 pounds more than Big Al, who is a svelte 350.

It's got to be hard being a living thing on the line of scrimmage these days.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 8, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

iPhone 3GS - higher res camera, video capture and editing on the phone, share video thru MMS

Sounds like sexting at a whole new level!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 8, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Truth,
The PDX vibe is very small town, not like it is back in DCA/BWI/IAD.

Come out and hoist a few malt beverages sometime, breath in, breath out, and relax.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 8, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

...go see UP! Great movie for everyone!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 3:34 PM

Did you see this one with your mom too?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Truth what's the over/under on the Dawgs beating the Gators this year?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 8, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Beef on the ground. Reminds me of the analogy a reporter made when the Skins traded for Ken Houston and gave up about 6 players. The reporter said it was a lot of ground beef for one prime rib. But no matter how much ground beef you give up, it'll never be as good as prime rib.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

NOPE MY NEPHEW

you LOSER

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth, the truth is that you are one of the most regular of regulars.

Oh, and another truth is that you protesteth too much on the topic of your regularity. Get over it.

What Stumped said is also the truth, that if you (or anybody else up here, for that matter) make your way to Portland, dollars to doughnuts we'll come have a beer with you. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

There have been some comments in this blog about LaRon Landry being MIA from OTAs. Landry appears to be following in a recent line of defensive players for the Skins that have not played up to the potential of their considerable talents. The first was LaVar Arrington. He had a lot of talent, but frittered a good deal of it away because he never played within the coaches' defensive schemes. He was always free-lancing and often was out of position, something other teams would exploit. Then came Sean Taylor. Like Arrington, he had a lot of talent that was never fully applied. Taylor like Arrington tuned out coaches and teammates. And now we have the case of Landry. Not much is known about him, but he must have picked up some bad habits from Taylor, as Taylor did from LaVar. Landry not being at the OTAs and not responding to Zorn's calls and messages is a bad sign.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Aww Truth, I was just funnin' ya. Don't be so muhsjkin' sensitive. But I knew for sure that you didn't go with a young lady who was not a relative considering your strong feelings about the fairer sex.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 8, 2009

Drinking Romulan Ale, Sorian brandy ... they get into trouble too.

Posted by: periculum | June 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a biter
I'm a writer
For myself and others
I say a B.I.G. verse I'm only biggin up my brother
Biggin up my borough
I'm big enough to do it
I'm that thorough
Plus I know my own flow is foolish
- Jay Z

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 4:16 PM

I never knew Snoop also grew up in Brooklyn as well. There are some others, but most JZ songs have been tuned out of my head....

And I thought he never wrote...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Again with the OTAs. Funny how very few people post on this very blog during the weekend when they are on their own time but blog away while at work about how a player doesn't give up his own time to volunarily workout with his teammates on his own time. Just sayin' is all.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

UH OH AntonChigurh, I suggest you find a spot under a table somewhere because you have just called out the Great Sean Taylor on this blog and we the bloggers dont play that. I suggest you apologize immediately or suffer the consequences

Posted by: GreatOne1 | June 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Great,

now I feel bad.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 8, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure playing in the NFL can be all-consuming. So much so that players, even relatively young players, want a life outside the locker room.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 8, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Jay Z is without question the best rapper alive. Many rappers use lines from other rappers. It's not a big deal to me. It's not like he built a song around the line or spit a whole bar of another rapper's lyrics. It's sort of like sampling.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 8, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Buzzbee is a Practice Squad Canidate. Too many folks in front of him, including Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson (Both play STs extremely well).

I wonder if Wynn's spot is gaureented or does he run the risk of not making the team, again...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Nothing against our man Alex, but if he does make the team, doesn't that mean something has gone horribly wrong?

Even with Orakpo listed as a LB/DE, how many DEs will we carry?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

4th,
you beat me to it. drat!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 8, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it gets worse, Cheyenne... if you're still in the employ of Uncle Sam (are ya?) you're effectively billing all of us for your work-blog-commenting time.

Except kost52, of course.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

MY problem is the consistent sampling in dang near every song....

OTAs and players - It's all relative. Everyone doesn't have the same goals. Some want to win the Super Bowl, some want to make a name for themselves, and others just want that paycheck the can't get from any 'real' job. I think the jury is out on what LaRon wants to be.

Troy Paloamolu never works out with the team and he stays in Cali. He only attends half the OTAs. And they won the SB last year and Troy had a great year.

That being said. Our Laron Landry is no Palamalu.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 5:23 PM |

This is better value than we're getting for most of our tax dollars. Harumph.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Except kost52, of course.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 5:23 PM

LMAO! Cheyenne - I now own you, Chrysler, and GM.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

And don't forget.... puff, puff, pass. OK?
Puff, puff, pass. Got it?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | June 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Dude, we need to get some Keystone Ice tonight. It's so nice to get iced.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 8, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

and how the posting stops when the end of the work day comes...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 8, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Spear | June 8, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

On the subject of posting while at work, hopefully some of them financial wizards that dreamed up derivatives, credit swaps and collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) will start posting more and more on this blog or any other blog for that matter.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 8, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Except kost52, of course.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nothing to be worried about. I can do both!

Every day we dont get nuked, nuke ourselves, or nuke someone else, you know I've had a good day.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 8, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"If the Redskins wanted to pay me for expressing my opinions on the team, I would post 24-7.Posted by: The_Spear"

How much would they have to pay you to stop?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 8, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

and how the posting stops when the end of the work day comes...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 8, 2009 6:02 PM
=============================================

I don't post from work, 'they' spy on our computers.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 8, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Its tougher work than you might think. After all, you have to type with one hand and stroke Danny with the other.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 8, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I will, right after you tell me the difference in pay rate between what JLC was paid to post here, and what you (and I ) are paid to post here. Waste of your time? Imagine how I felt receiving your “simplistic challenge.”

In turn, I offer you one. List the names and dates of all Irish-American immigrants to the United States since 1840. It’s my one simple challenge to you, since you are posting.

You remain under the misconceptin that I’m a big LaCanfora fan. I’m not. I do respect him for not cowering under the attacks form Redskins management and ignorant posters on his own blog regarding the nature of his job.

Probably because, unlike you, he’s bright enough to know I’m not defending him spefically, but standing to attacks on freedom of the press.

I don’t doubt that the media have brought much of the criticism on itself. But standing up to power ain’t part of it. And I DO know “powee” hates that. The bullies who would intimidate the practitioners of free flow of information need to be opposed.

And now that he's gone, and the Post (at least for now) appears more an adjunct of he Redskins PR office than the loyal opposition, expect to see plenty of criticism from me aimed not at the redskins FO, but he Post itself.

Posted by: TheCork | June 8, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Cork, you are up on this blog all the time. Is it really that big a "challenge" to try and remember ONE SINGLE SOLITARY story that JLa ever broke first?

If I were scanning the lists of Irish-American immigrants everyday, the same way you read this blog everyday, I could certainly start to answer your challenge...at least throw out a couple names.

You can't do it because he never did. He never broke anything.

And if you think JLA was the first guy to "stand up" and call out the mediocrity of the Skins at WaPo, you are just crazy. Columnists like Kornheiser, Wilbon, Boswell and Jenkins have been KILLING the Skins and the FO for years.

The difference with JLA is that he was unprofessional, and he made his beef personal, and lost his "Insider" access which compromised his job as the "Redskins Insider".

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH FREE SPEECH, YOU MORON SAP. It has to do with honest criticism about JLA's work as a professional reporter/blogger and honest complaints about his lack of real inside access.

Yet at the smallest inkling of criticism you run to his defense like he's Woodward breaking Watergate or Murrow taking on McCarthy...it's pathetic, it's annoying, and your nonsense about "free speech" doesn't explain it...

I guess there's alot more Skippy running around in that head than I thought...

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't disagree more.

You're hard-pressed to say he "frittered" away his talent with those 3 consecutive ProBowl appearances; and he was the best thing to watch on some atrocious Redskins teams for several years.

What de-railed his career was injuries. He went all-out all the time and pulled an Arenas - tried to come back too early from a knee thing.

The issue with the coaches was just as much on them as it was on him. Good coaches figure out ways to make the most of their best players. They don't handcuff them and bench them just because they don't always stand in the right place.

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 8, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Landry isn't a natural born leader...as long as he's a natural born killer I want him starting at safety for my team.

ST21 wasn't a leader either.

If you want leadership, that's what re-signing Renaldo Wynn was for.

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, while my Jasno take differs from you, your skins observations are dead on usually. Couldn't agree more with your disagreement with Anton-C.

Laron missing OTAs is a major non-issue.

On the music tip, I bought some killer LPs the weekend......but alas no Hip Hop....

Posted by: chrislarry | June 8, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

ST21 wasn't a leader either.

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 8:40 PM |

Are you sure about this? When he was at Miami, he was the leader of the defense there. I thought he got off on a bad foot with the Skins (the same way as Landry) but that his last year with the team that he was a leader of the D. Not The Leader, because he was too young for that, but a leader.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

How did Taylor get off on the wrong foot? Didn't he start every game from day #1? B/c he blew off a few NON-MANDATORY team workouts?

I wish we could have some more players who didn't work out like sean taylor and Lavar arrington....

Posted by: chrislarry | June 8, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

ST21 wasn't a leader either.

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 8:40 PM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about his U days, and was referring to his time with the Skins.

He was a "lead by example" kind of guy...Ross Tucker illuminates:

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Laron missing OTAs is a major non-issue.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 8, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Sure.

I don't begrudge JLA. I just didn't think he was a great professional "insider".

My begrudging has more to do with the way Cork bullies anyone who criticized him.

Posted by: p1funk | June 8, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

p1funk,

Thanks for looking up the Tucker piece. It says, unequivocally, that Sean was a leader on the team.

The Miami story is one I remember well because I learned a lot about how the Redskins scouted Sean and Kellen Winslow, Jr., who everyone thought the Skins would pick. The Skins had Vilma in before the draft and asked him who the leaders were on the Miami team and he told them Sean. I don't think they were seriously thinking of taking Vilma, but it was worth having him in to answer that question.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

You all need to check out Zach Miller, Keith Eloi's QB at UN at Omaha. The guy is amazingly fast and has a super quick release. He will be Jacksonville's QB in the future. 6th round pick.

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | June 8, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor -- Not The Leader, because he was too young for that, but a leader.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

That's the point I was making about Landry. Taylor was 'a' leader. London Fletcher Was/Is THE LEADER. a la Ken Houston, a la Ronnie Lott, a la brian dawkins. Clearly, Taylor was developing after a very rough start.

In the not too distant future, the Skins will need someone to be THE LEADER, as Fletcher is getting up there.

Landry has (had?) all the earmarks of being a future leader, like dawkins, Lott or Houston. But staying away from OTAs and not returning calls isn't what leaders do. Not even close.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 8, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Brian Jennings will be the San Francisco 49ers' long snapper for longer than he ever imagined.

The 49ers signed Jennings to a five-year contract extension Saturday, locking up a flawless performer on their solid special teams units through 2014.

**** I tell you, those 49ers KNOW how to sign their best players to long term deals ****

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 8, 2009 9:15 PM

This is an interesting comment because it purports to know about conversations that may have happened between a draft prospect and the Skins' staff. Maybe the commenter is a current or past member of the staff. If he is a current member then an "on the job blogger" who makes as many posts as this commenter does can't be doing his job which may be a bad thing or not. Or the commenter maybe read about this somewhere which he should so state because it reads like he was right there listening as these purported conversations were taking place. Second hand information is just that - someone else's story about what happened. Or the commenter could be taking liberties with the assumption that posters are to best of their ability providing factual-based information. But hey, no problem there. Afterall, this is a blog.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 9, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 4:57 PM

If I was ever in Portland I would like to meet the Dickman twins. Them guys sure know how to knock out the verse.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 9, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 9, 2009 2:33 AM

Or the commenter doesn't have the inclination to look up the link to a story that he read in the Post five years ago relating to an obscure reference to whether Sean Taylor was or was not a leader on the Miami Hurricanes.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

The Wikipedia section of Sean Taylor has a quote that applies to young sprouts like Laron Landry who ignore their coaches, refuse to return phone calls, and don't take advantage of all the opportunities they have to improve their play:

Before the [2007] season in a rare interview he is often quoted as saying "...you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'" His teammates said that he had finally gotten his life straightened out because of his daughter.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone posted this yesterday, but here's the sign of the apocolypse for today: a positive prognostication for the Redskins! From the 8-division breakdown on Yahoo:

NFC East

Expectation: Albert Haynesworth(notes), Dan Snyder’s latest multimillionaire, has been set up to fail.

Spoiler alert: Sure, Snyder overpaid for the erstwhile Titans defensive tackle, but the Washington Redskins actually boast some comparable pieces on defense to Tennessee, and that should allow Haynesworth to thrive. Like Tennessee’s defensive line (which features Kyle Vanden Bosch(notes), Tony Brown and Javon Kearse), savvy veterans and journeymen comprise Washington’s line (Phillip Daniels(notes), Cornelius Griffin(notes) and Andre Carter(notes)). As in Tennessee, Haynesworth is the best of the bunch. The biggest link between the teams might be at linebacker, where the fierce Keith Bulluck(notes) led the Titans and London Fletcher(notes) provides inspiration for the Redskins. Haynesworth will love having Fletcher, a leader and ultimate teammate, behind him. By the same token, Fletcher will love the mayhem Haynesworth creates up front.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 8, 2009 4:57 PM

doughnuts - check
beer - check
pipe - check

I'm in.

brownwood(notes), thanks.

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Mike Williams hurt his knee in practice, but should be fine, according to Jim Zorn. "It's a lot of beef to put on the ground so suddenly."

ground beef - check

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

ground beef - check

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2009 7:20 AM |

Close, but no cigurh. Ground beef = chuck.

(Note to sween the grilling fiend: Gourmet magazine this month has the ultimate hamburger recipe, based on ground skirt steak.)
+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Fletcher will love the mayhem Haynesworth creates up front.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2009 6:35 AM

Thanks for putting that up Brownwood. Lust for mayhem is back.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

". Like Tennessee’s defensive line (which features Kyle Vanden Bosch(notes), Tony Brown and Javon Kearse), savvy veterans and journeymen comprise Washington’s line (Phillip Daniels(notes), Cornelius Griffin(notes) and Andre Carter(notes)). As in Tennessee, Haynesworth is the best of the bunch. The biggest link between the teams might be at linebacker, where the fierce Keith Bulluck(notes) led the Titans and London Fletcher(notes) provides inspiration for the Redskins. Haynesworth will love having Fletcher, a leader and ultimate teammate, behind him. By the same token, Fletcher will love the mayhem Haynesworth creates up front.

Posted by: brownwood26"

lol @ calling our vets "savvy".

Our vets are throwaways no one wants

Skins win 7 games next year, 9 at max, but probably 7 or 8, don't go to the playoffs, and Fat Albert is a colossal bust. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST (well, probably not first).

PS I can't wait to see what RedDMV thought of Jay-Z's new song NOT LIKE I CARE

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 9, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

In reference to Landry - you are either a leader or you are not. There is no "in-between." Landry is not a leader. Not sure ST was a leader either, but he made a much bigger impact on the field. ST was 10x better a player than Landry...

Posted by: BT23 | June 9, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

T_E, I'm not interested in a lust for mayhem so much as I am a lineup that actually produces mayhem for the opponent and forces turnovers. God knows this offense needs all the help it can get and if this defense can give them a short field or outright score for them, that's the only way this team is going to get within spitting distance of the playoffs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

B I think the key to the playoff is going to be the O Line play and if Zorn can change up his playing calling. By the middle of the year everyone knew what was coming and Zorn didn't change anything.

Posted by: jm220 | June 9, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

If I were Landry, I'd want out of DC asap just to get away from being compared to Sean Taylor. He can't live up to that expectation and it's not fair that he's even compared. Landry is a very good safety, potentially a pro bowl type, but the Reaper was legendary and the guy who immediately follows a legend is set up to fail.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 9, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, I AM interested in Lust for Mayhem!

...but I'm even more interested in skirt steak right now. We've been looking EVERYWHERE for Skirt Steak and the only think close we kind is Flank! Which is ok, but it's no Churrasco.

Once again, hook me up, fellers!

rok Rok AUN!

(btw, friend of mine brought up Root Boy Slim yesterday... good times... good times...)

So that's today's listening assignment. Root Boy Slim!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 9, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Landry went to LSU. That makes him an overrated wuss-bag anyway... lmao!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 9, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Our vets are throwaways no one wants

PS I can't wait to see what RedDMV thought of Jay-Z's new song NOT LIKE I CARE

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 9, 2009 7:49 AM

My post was taken from an article on Yahoo...not my words, Truth. And while I don't believe that Haynesworth is going to be the guy you saw in '08, you have to admit that Tennessee's DL is pretty much the same type of makeup as the Skins. Vanden Bosch may be a Pro-Bowler now, but before he went to Tennessee he was an injury prone 1st round bust for Arizona. Sound familiar Philip Daniels fans?

I don't think it'll happen the same way here (Vanden Bosch was around 28 or 29 when he went to Tennessee, Daniels is 35 going on 36), but I wouldn't completely rule it out as a possibility if Haynesworth plays anywhere near his potential.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

About the DL: be interesting this season if both Daniels and Wynn make the club. They started out as reasonably similar players and have gone in somewhat different directions. Wynn has become more of a pass rusher, particularly after last season in NY -- he's supposedly well below his listed weight of 296. Daniels has continued to bulk up and is now at 313 (up from 280).

Wynn didn't start a game last season but still managed 25 tackles (18 solo) and 2 sacks. Compare that to Demetric Evans, who started 11 games for the Skins and wound up with 33 tackles (20 solo) and 3.5 sacks. Daniels missed the season, but based on past performance, he projects about the same as Evans, with a higher number of passes defensed -- Big Philip has one of the league's best at that.

Of course, the past doesn't mean all that much with older players. Daniels is bigger and stronger than ever, while Wynn has become leaner and more mobile. One or both could struggle or get hurt -- or greatly exceed expectations, depending on how much time they get on the field.

I still don't see much evidence of a drop-off in talent from last season.

The real question is how well the defense will adapt to the presence of Haynesworth, and to a lesser extent, Orakpo. Blache's team may have played containment last season, but in Chicago he consistently had one of the league's best defenses at producing TOs. I suspect that's what he's hoping to duplicate here.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 9, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I think Buzbee puts us over the top! All kidding aside, he will add needed depth along the line, and he is also a young body. If Daniles can give us 5 sacks that would be great. Hopefully Fat Albert will free everyone up.

Posted by: joeboggs | June 9, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Buzbee has speed and youth on his side. Of course, speed and youth won't get you far if some offensive lineman or tightend uses your back to wipe up hash marks. This guy has to do well as a situational pass rusher and on special teams. He's not going to be an every down player but he could fill a role. I suspect he turned a few heads last pre-season before his injury, which gave the team confidence in moving Chris Wilson to LB. Both Daniels and Wynn were insurance policies and this team could dump one of them if the young guys impress. Remember, Lorenzo Alexander is now in the DE mix, and his versatility already makes him a lock at one slot. With him, you have Carter, Wynn and Daniels. So, it's a long shot for Buzzbee and Jackson both to hang around. Buzzbee wouldn't last too long on the developmental roster. I think there are a few teams that would snatch him up.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse