Byron on Brian: "I Don't Think He'll Play"

Jason La Canfora reports:

Redskins cornerback Byron Westbrook said he would be very surprised if his brother Brian played for the Eagles this weekend. Byron Westbrook said he speaks to his brother, whose presence completely changes the effectiveness and productivity of the Philly offense, nearly every day.

"I don't think he'll play," Byron Westbrook said. "The ankle injury is more serious than what the Eagles put out. You know how Andy Reid is about injuries and giving out information. Just watching him on the sidelines after he turned his ankle [against Pittsburgh two weeks ago], it didn't look good.

"He's a warrior and it's an NFC East game and he wants to play, but its also early in the season and it's not a playoff game. If he goes out and plays at 75 perecent, you could end up making it a lot worse. He would want to get to 90 percent to really be able to play."

Westbrook said he and his big brother, who is getting treatment but, according to the Eagles, is scheduled to practice today, last talked on Sunday.

As he usually does when the Redskins are preparing to face the Eagles, Byron Westbrook will continue to act as his brother on the scout team all week. The Redskins will still prepare in case Brian Westbrook plays.

"We still have to prepare for him regardless," Byron Westbrook said. "And if he can"t play, then we'll just be over-prepared."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 1, 2008; 12:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs: "I'm Not Missing an NFC East Game"
Next: Heyer Not Sure if He Can Play

Comments

Another huge one for the Skins. I feel like this is a no lose situation since this and the Dallas games were "expected" losses looking at the schedule at the beginning of the season. Win this and you start thinking 11-12 game win season. Lose this and you're still looking at 9 to 10 wins if everyone stays healthy.

Posted by: NickelsLuvsSkins | October 1, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes listen to your younger smaller less gifted brother on this matter he knows best!

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Dik,
Congrats on your marriage making it through its first true test.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsfan3 | October 1, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

careful Andy might sending bad info thru the brother

Posted by: mdepo | October 1, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

While I am sure that the Westbrook brothers share a lot, this sounds like the perfect disinformation trap to me. They may be brothers, but they are still competitors on opposite sides of the ball this Sunday. I really hope that people at Redskins Park are not taking this too seriously.

Posted by: TheOneAndOnly1 | October 1, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Well I would of been first if I did not get an error.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That must be true love, Dik...I'd have a hard time marrying someone in the enemy camp, but well done for rising above.

I hope Byron knows of that which he speaks. Big bro has owned us the last 4-5 years. We win this game, we are in a great position to win this division. I know it's WAY too early to be talkin like that by I can't help it, I'm like a little kid on Christmas Eve

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I wish we could get LBW on the field some for the skins, I think the kid would be a solid dime CB.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it refreshing to know that we don't have an owner like Al Davis?!

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 1, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Come on people don't be dopy, of course they are going to prepare like Westbrook is 100%, give the team some credit.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Eagles say Westbrook will practice today, so we shall see.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 1, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

yes unless westbrook was found with both knee caps busted we prepare for him.
Note: Don't think I endorce busting knees.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I say no chance Westbrook doesn't play.

He'll be out there...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It's almost comical to see the team that most of it's fans on Redskin Insider just this winter called "the laughingstock of the NFL" ranked as high as number 2 on The Fox power rankings.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 1, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

who knows what will happen. If Westbrook plays he may get McGahee'ed, anyone else see how busted up he got on Monday?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I say no chance Westbrook doesn't play.

He'll be out there...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that Westbrook will be a go this week. He has a high ankle sprain, and that injury takes several weeks to heal because the ligaments have been damaged. Coming back too soon may lead to recurrence of the injury. Even if he does play, I don't think he will be his usual deadly self.

Will the Iggles choose risk of further injury to a limited Westbrook over the risk of going 0-2 in the division without him?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 30, 2008 1:16 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 1, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The two Philly offensive players I worry most about are Westbrook and Kevin Curtis.

Maybe both will sit.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 1, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 1, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Probably just another Fox sponsored right wing conspiracy to humiliate the Redskin Insider liberals.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 1, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Hoping the D finds a way to lay some licks on McNabb. Seems like a wounded bird, but like Westbrook, always a dangerous one that can't be overlooked.

Wouldn't mind beating the Iggles with Kolb and Buckhalter, but more satisfying to dismantle their 1st stringers like last week.

Either way, a big opportunity to validate the new found success.

Hail!

Posted by: ksquare | October 1, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

A win is a win and the Iggles not having Westbrook increases our odds of winning. But beating them without him just isn't the same and I worry we'll get a false sense of bravado that will come back to haunt us later. Hopefully, Zorn & Blache can keep them grounded.

Posted by: will_ga | October 1, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd say 60% that Westbrook plays at 80%, 40% that he plays at 90%, 5% that he plays at 100%. 30% chance he is inactive. 4% chance Rocky Mac decapitates Correll Buckhalter. Fuzzy math people.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

If we hit a less than 100% Westbrook the way we hit Barber it really wont matter if he's out there or not.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 1, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

We're 1/4 of the way through the season. Let's not just crown them just yet. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Zorn was always going to be a successful OC, but he is definitely impressive as the HC. I don't think anyone had any reason to expect this so far.

Then again, I always have to remind myself that even Norv Turner once started a season 7-1.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 1, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I think there is a 100% chance Michael Westbrook won't play this weekend.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 1, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 1, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

That team didn't have half the talent or chemistry of this one. Who was the QB, STan Humphries?? But good point, Diddy. They have to stay hungry, and I think Coach Z will keep that chip on their shoulder. Even though we're all over sports radio/TV right now, our team has really been the secondary story to TO, TO/Romo, Dallas woes, et al. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I am not in the business of crowning anyone in October.....not am I in the business of claiming them to be the laughingstock of the NFL before they ever play a game.

Haven't checked lately, but are the traditional laughingstocks (i.e. Detroit, Arizona, Oakland) anywhere near sniffing even a top 15 rating?

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 1, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,

"even Norv Turner once started a season 7-1."

Bro, what a buzz kill.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

J-Cam to Yoder, all day long baby.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 1, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

If Westbrook doesn't play, I think there's like an 85% chance we win the game. If he does play I'd say around 60%.

Still, if we can get our three conference road games out of the way and be 2-1 with three conference home games left, we are in probably the BEST position in the conference. Imagine that.

This tough schedule could turn out to be a blessing and could help us tremendously. Was NOT expecting that!

this game is huge Sunday!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 1, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Dude I saw the hip hip hooray on sunday
after the game on foxsports or one of those post-game shows. Awesome. Just one point I want to make thats probably been made already. This team is still only learning this offense. It hasnt perfected it or gotten as comfortable as it will over the next months and beyond. rookie talents have not even been on the field for the most part. What i see is a lot of potential and if we keep finding ways to beat teams even by 2 like dallas(and hopefully philly)while we learn we eventually will beat those teams by 12 14 points.

Posted by: crzyvgs | October 1, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

why does his brother play him on the scout team? He's a cb correct?

Posted by: bms46and2 | October 1, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crzyvgs | October 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Brian on Byron: "I Don't Think He'll Play EITHER"

Posted by: CN11 | October 1, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Let Brian play. We'll whoop them either way.

Posted by: redskins91 | October 1, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse