Byron Westbrook charged with drunk driving -- UPDATED

Update, 6:26 p.m.

Washington Redskins cornerback Byron Westbrook was arrested on a drunk driving charge early Friday after a Charles County sheriff's deputy saw him driving erratically on a state highway in Waldorf, the sheriff's department said.

Westbrook, 25, who lives in Herndon, was driving a gray Mercedes on Route 5 near Lakewood Place shortly before 2 a.m. when the deputy saw the car "cross the lane marker several times," said Diane Richardson, a department spokeswoman. After stopping Westbrook, who was alone, the deputy "detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage" in the vehicle, Richardson said.

She said Westbrook failed "several field sobriety tests" and declined to take a breath test. After being charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, driving while impaired, negligent driving and failing to stay on the right side of the road, he was released to await a court appearance, Richardson said. His arrest was first reported on the Web site of WRC-TV (Channel 4).

The Redskins said in a statement this afternoon they are aware of the charges Westbrook faces.

"We take these issues very seriously," General Manager Bruce Allen said in a prepared statement. "Moving forward, we plan to meet with Byron and will continue to monitor the situation."

Westbrook did not immediately return messages seeking comment Friday. Westbrook appeared in 15 of the Redskins' 16 games last season, mostly on special teams. He started at cornerback against New Orleans on Dec. 6 and played a role in 12 tackles on the season.

Perhaps his most memorable play of the season came Oct. 10 at Carolina. On a Panthers' punt, Westbrook was pushed into punt returner Antwaan Randle El, and the Panthers recovered the ball. Westbrook, a Maryland native who played football at DeMatha High School and Salisbury State University, is the younger brother of Philadelphia running back Brian Westbrook and joined the Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He was a part of Washington's practice squad in 2007 and '08 before being included on the 53-man roster last season.

The most serious charge he faces, driving under the influence of alcohol, is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine, in addition to a six-month driver's license suspension. Under Maryland law, a motorist with a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent or higher is considered to be driving under the influence.

Westbrook is the second Redskins' player to face alcohol-related criminal charges this offseason. Offensive lineman Chad Rinehart was arrested last month in Cedar Falls, Iowa, and charged with for misdemeanor public intoxication.

By Paul Duggan and Rick Maese  |  February 19, 2010; 5:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jarmon's ready for any defense Redskins plan to use
Next: Campbell to prepare as if he is the Redskins' starter

Comments

Dumbass

Posted by: jiza32 | February 19, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Crucify him on the Tree of Woe.

Posted by: filmchis | February 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

First rounders can get away with this sort of thing... undrafted special teamers holding onto roster spot number 52 or 53... not so much.

Guess that's what he gets for driving through Waldork anyway, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 19, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, just read that will_ga... wow! And not about Westbrook-- wow that JReid got scooped by PFT!

Maybe Byron and Rhino can drown their sorrows about being benched next year together at Riggo's house. Just sayin'...

Posted by: TDawg1 | February 19, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | February 19, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, time to make an example...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

have fun finding work numbnuts!!

Posted by: xpac69 | February 19, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Who da hell cares..... yall making too big of deal of this.. will be forgotten by the end of next week..

Posted by: cocodc1 | February 19, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, nice knowin' ya, Byron. Time to move on to some other team, no doubt one that plays the Skins twice a year, and blossom into the player you never became for us. Godspeed...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 19, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | February 19, 2010 5:15 PM

Party at Jared Allen's place! You'd think that even on a UDFA minimum contract, there would STILL be enough pocket change to call a cab ... or crash on a couch ... or have an entourage ...

Posted by: dcsween | February 19, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

WWLFD ... what would London Fletcher do?

Posted by: dcsween | February 19, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Londow would be home in the rack with Mama by 11:00... more better to be up and at the gym by 08:00 after gettin' the kids off to school.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 19, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

London would have tackled the cop on the first three sobriety tests then got off the highway and let his lawyer aka special teams handle the rest.

Posted by: DG28 | February 19, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Current Redskin.com poll

Which of these unrestricted free agents is your top priority to re-sign?

Ethan Albright, LS
Phillip Daniels, DE
Levi Jones, OT
Casey Rabach, C
Hunter Smith, P
Mike Williams, G/C

If I had to pick one, I do go with Daniels. He's a perfect fit for a 3-4 DE with his size & strength. He's also a has a great work ethic, high character guy, team leader, and would be relatively inexpensive. I just wish he was 10 years younger.

If I was picking two: Daniels and Hunter.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 19, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a tub,
and how do you think they got there?

The Fletcher, the Baker, the candlestick-maker,
and all of them gone to the fair.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 19, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 19, 2010 6:06 PM |

Bitter? Jaded? Is Byron the next Clark? Pierce? Stay tuned...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

who cares?? first offense... slap on the wrist & a few ASAP classes... USA gives clearance to people with DUI's all the time.

If your gonna refuse the breathalyzer, might as well refuse all test... they will use against him in court.

Posted by: tony325 | February 19, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Trade him for a first round pick....no wait 3 first round picks.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 19, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Keep him, cut Portis

Posted by: dashriprock | February 19, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

This is typical fare for a lot of people in their early twenty's who drink, pro football player or factory worker.

This is no big deal, hopefully he'll learn, grow up, and life will go on.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 19, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cocodc1 *****

This is no big deal, hopefully he'll learn, grow up, and life will go on.

Posted by: 72Redskins ****

I hope a drunkard never takes away one of your loved ones. I bet you wouldn't be so cavalier about it if they did.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 19, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Your Day 4 Sharks Olympic midday update

Douglas Murray played in the early game and his Swedish team won, 4-2. Thomas Griess goes for Germany tonight versus a tough team from Finland.

Sharks are all over the stat leaders. Heatley is tied for the lead in points (4) and goals (3). Boyle, Pavelski and Marleau are among the 17 players with multiple assists. Heatley and Marleau are among the 7 players in the tourney with 3 or more points. Pavelski and Thornton are in the top 10 in face-off win %, both at better than 60%.

And that is your midday Shark Olympic hockey update

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

On point '65. I know someone that killed a person driving drunk. Of course the persons family is a mess but so is the guy that did it. Could have been avoided.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Hearthat hammeringin the background? Those are the nails in the career of Byron Westbrook's coffin being driven in. He made a bonehead play on special teams last year - nail one - and now this - nail two. The incoming regime is not going to be too patient with a fringe player who gets in trouble off the field...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 9:51 AM |

Dude - what happened to your cousin, REDneckSKINhead? Ain't seen a post of his in a Blue Moon.

Posted by: GasFace | February 19, 2010 10:54 AM
-----------------------------------------
No cuz of mine. Just another "Head" wannabe. The groupies just drive me crazy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 8:07 PM
-----------------------------------------
Yep, in another life years ago I got a DUI. Stupid move. Luckily I didn't kill anyone. When we are young we all take our chances, and fortunately most of us get away with it. I paid for it, and learned from it. Hope Mr. Westbrook gets the point.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Are u kidding me? To those of you who say this 'isn't a big deal'?? If he wiped out a couple of your family members would it be a big deal then?

Posted by: bg1fan | February 19, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:28 PM

You and me both. I almost killed myself when I wrecked my car. I'm just glad/lucky I didn't hurt anyone else.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:28 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 8:32 PM
------------------------------------------
I guess we can both count ourselves lucky.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

You got that right!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 19, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

HEY, Hey, hey...

Easy there, folks...

Innocent until proven guilty, right?

This is all hearsay.

We'll see what his lawyers have to say about it...

I'm sure he can afford a lot more "Justice" than most of us, so I really doubt he'll get the five days in jail that I got on my first DUI. Not to mention losing my license for 18 months, $800 in court costs, Alcohol meetings twice a week at a cost of $1200, and generally serving to "pad the Judge's stats"...

especially since the guy before my case had hit a telephone pole, called his lawyer, 4 hours later, called the police, blew the exact same BAC that I did, and walked out with his license.

Or the guy who was on his 3rd DWI and used to occasionally give me a ride to and from my alcohol classes. See, his plea bargain (lawyer, money) was that his first two DWIs "be erased" as he used to put it.

Justice is blind, but it can smell money and it doesn't give a shti about fairness, truth, or right or wrong.

Show me the JUSTICE.
(cha ching)

Posted by: Thinker_ | February 19, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Thinker...best line of your entire post...my first DUI.

How many have you had? And...what was your punishment(s) for the subsequent ones?

Posted by: rich20ssu | February 19, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

crossing the median? failing sobriety tests?

it is a big deal he was driving WASTED. it's not like he got pulled over for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

that said, bad sign that rhino and jr. both tagged.

another reason this is a big deal - Shanny will have to take some kind of precedent setting action on this.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | February 19, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I cant understand why anyone would advocate for anything other than drafting O-Line with every f'n pick we have. Remember how painful last season was?

Posted by: Salinas1 | February 19, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

and he was charged with a fumbled punt, what's this guy's problem. your not your brother, get it together

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 19, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

If I was picking two: Daniels and Hunter.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 19, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Good list there Diesel, but I would reverse your finalists. Never, never underestimate the value of a good punter.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 19, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Salinas1 | February 19, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Because it's a foregone conclusion by almost everyone that SHANAHAN and SNYDER want a SOUP replacement. And they call the shots at REDSKINS PARK.

I would never take either of these sub-par q-backs coming out, but I'm not paid to take care of that particular mission for the REDSKINS. Frankly, I'd shoot for the CENTRAL MICHIGAN guy LeFEVRE in round four or three if we can rangle one.

Hey Diesel44, Yee-Haw good buddy. Catch the 'ZARDS tonight? It's a new day in the phone-booth.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 19, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Hello, this Mr. Turk calling for Mr. Westbrook. I have a message from the coach...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 19, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I miss the 70's sometimes, like when the police took your keys and drove you home and told you to sleep it off...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 19, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

noonefromtampa. Those were the days. And they would hand the bag of pot to your parents (or keep it for themselves, there was one PG County cop in particular that loved to smoke it up in those days) too. I say give the guy a break. He's young and dumb like many of us were in our day. I'm not saying DUI/DWI should be condoned, but he will pay. He'll get a good lawyer @ $7.5k And come out with a PBJ and probation, minimal fine. Just hope he learns the lesson many of us posters (as evidenced by what I have read) have.

Posted by: msrent | February 19, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Current Redskin.com poll

Which of these unrestricted free agents is your top priority to re-sign?

Ethan Albright, LS
Phillip Daniels, DE
Levi Jones, OT
Casey Rabach, C
Hunter Smith, P
Mike Williams, G/C

If I was picking two: Daniels and Hunter.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 19, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Daniels is probably gone even if he's a good fit at DE in the 3-4. We're trying to get younger, and Golston, Haynesworth, Alexander and Griff, who's also pretty old but a more complete player, should lock those positions up. Agree that Smith should be re-signed quickly as he's a pretty solid option at punter, although he should never be asked to pass the ball again. Maybe Jones, if he's willing to sign a small contract as he can fill in at T in a pinch. I think the Skins signed a potential replacement for LS, although I might be wrong there and the rest can go. Rabach was pretty good for awhile, but has struggled the past couple of seasons and we need to see if any of the younger guys can handle the load.

And on another note, bye bye Westbrook, you were camp fodder anyway and you just lost your last chance.

Posted by: DCinSD | February 19, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Current Redskin.com poll

Which of these unrestricted free agents is your top priority to re-sign?

Ethan Albright, LS
Phillip Daniels, DE
Levi Jones, OT
Casey Rabach, C
Hunter Smith, P
Mike Williams, G/C

If I was picking two: Daniels and Hunter.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 19, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Hunter Smith

Then Levi if the money is reasonable.

Draft Okung and move Levi to RT. Draft another O Line prospect in 4th or 5th round. Say goodbye to Heyer. He's not even that good as a back up anymore. Levi couldn't cut it at LT, hoping he can get it done at RT. Last chance for him...

Posted by: edvar | February 20, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

of that group, top signing priority would be Hunter Smith, those other guys are J.A.G.s

Posted by: coparker5 | February 20, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Failed several field sobriety tests? Carlos Rogers does that every Sunday.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 20, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Failed several field sobriety tests? Carlos Rogers does that every Sunday.
Posted by: SMACK1 | February 20, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

No, Rogers always passes the field test except for the part were the cop tosses him a soft rubber ball, underhanded.....from 3 feet away.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 20, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he was in Waldorf to see the towns favorite and local band Good Charlotte.

Or maybe Westbrook was down at St. Charles Towne Center hanging out at the Sbarro.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 20, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this is an ol' fashioned Jasno typo, and he was with Nicole Richie, driving erotically in Waldorf. Really, how else can one drive in Waldorf.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 20, 2010 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Well, first DUI, meaning, it was #1 of a possible infinity, meaning, that I had NO priors.

It was also my last, but if I had said "my last DUI," you'd be asking how many were BEFORE that one.

So, one DUI, 18 months with no license (revoked, not suspended), $800 in court costs, $1200 in Alcohol classes, 5 days in jail.

It's what you can afford.

See: Sean Taylor, Bruce Smith... HECK, go sit in the courtroom one day and you'll see how "justice" works.

A guy with drug money gets a decent lawyer and ends up with probation, another guy with no money does a month for stealing food.

I'll tell you this: it aint what they show on TV - AT ALL.

It's quick, time is of the essence, most of the "work" is done before the courtroom appearance as a plea bargain, and justice doesn't have squat to do with it.

A good friend of mine, who is now an upstanding citizen, got off with probation for selling marijuana. He had scales, bags of weed all ready for delivery, guns, and drug money (a couple grand in 20s, 10s, and 5s - all respectably bundled with a rubber band money clip).

The police actually got involved because he had threatened a neighbor with a hand gun and fired into the air as the guy ran in the other direction.

Not to mention, he'd been in and out of court for violent offenses, including malicious wounding, among many assault & batteries.

The police found traces of cocaine in much of his paraphernalia, as well.

And he walked.

I sat there and watched people getting slammed with time - one guy got a month for stealing a pack of cigarettes. But, he dropped a bunch of money on a decent lawyer.

The best part was, a couple years later, the Police actually mailed him a check for the wad of money they had confiscated from him.

Go figure.

Posted by: Thinker_ | February 20, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:15 PM
=========================================
Notwithstanding, "fringe" or not..If Rhino or Westbrook are cut.. The Ravens will snap them up, wholesale.

From the Stallworth signing press conf.

[Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] said, we believe in second chances, and Donte’ does deserve that. But, we’ve signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 20, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

.... But, we’ve signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 20, 2010 7:16 AM

And you believe that Rhino and Westbrook are talents that can help the Ravens? Really? Who on the Ravens roster will Rhino or Westbrook displace?

Posted by: Agree2Disagree | February 20, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Time for all Redskin fans to show some solidarity.

Renew those season tickets and parking passes TODAY!

Buy as much Redskins Logo stuff as your credit card can stand.

Only a major influx of cash will help Dan Snyder get over this latest embarrassment by a member of his loser team.

Don't leave Dan hanging, let's get out there and $upport the team.

6-10 coming this fall in a stadium near you.

Posted by: JCM-51 | February 20, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCM-51 | February 20, 2010 7:55 AM

Can you explain to me why drunk driving is an embarrassment to Dan Snyder? I can see why Westbrook should be embarrassed, but what does this have to do with Dan Snyder?

Posted by: Agree2Disagree | February 20, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCM-51 | February 20, 2010 7:55 AM

Posted by: Agree2Disagree | February 20, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, what he said.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 20, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 19, 2010 8:15 PM
=========================================

From the Stallworth signing press conf.

[Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] said, "we believe in second chances, and Donte’ does deserve that. But, we’ve signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us."

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 20, 2010 7:16 AM
======================================

Posted by: Agree2Disagree | February 20, 2010 7:40 AM
=====================================
H-crap..your handle serves you well, agree2disagree..
"And you believe that Rhino and Westbrook are talents that can help the Ravens? "
"who will they displace?"

I never said anything about helping the Ravens.. It was a quote from the Ravens Owner at a Press Conference talking about signing a convicted Donte Stallworth (DUI Manslaughter). Who will now be a team mate of Ray Lewis.

And for all I know or care.. Westbrook and Rhino probably couldn't make the Ravens...if given the chance.

My comment was purely hyperbolic rhetoric relating to a team that signs "once in trouble with the law" players...ie. Rhino and now Westbrook...

Eesshh.. lighten up.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 20, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 20, 2010 8:53 AM

So, what you're saying is that the Ravens don't sign players because they're good, but because they were "once in trouble with the law"?

Posted by: Agree2Disagree | February 20, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

A slap on the wrist, a small fine and that will be that. IMO the Redskins should keep the punter. Time to get younger!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 20, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This is his SECOND DUI in MD. His first in Maryland was in Sept '07 in PG county.

Posted by: bgutschick | February 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

If he is guilty, I don't care who the hell he is, he should go to jail and lose his job. This drunk driving crap needs to stop.

RIP Krysta Rodriguez, 22 years old, killed by a drunk driver Feb 11, 2010

Posted by: ConcernedinSC | February 20, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If it's his second one, he isn't learning anything. Good Bye.

Posted by: jmy999 | February 20, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

It is Salisbury University, not Salisbury State. They dropped the State in 2001.

Posted by: mafafu | February 20, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the updated offseason arrest standings? I know we have 2 already so we should at least be in contention. If the Bengals pick up PacMan though, we don't have a shot.

Posted by: rbentons | February 20, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
Wow! I don't remember this many comments when Chad Rinehart was arrested for the same thing. I wonder if maybe the Redskins have some racist fans?

No way....

Posted by: ENJOYA | February 20, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

No way....

Posted by: ENJOYA | February 20, 2010 5:39 PM

DUI is a much more serious offense than public intoxication. It has nothing to do with race.

Posted by: jmy999 | February 20, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Posted by: maus92 | February 20, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

What do you expect? He's a black athlete.

Posted by: FridayKnight | February 20, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse