Byron Westbrook concerned for brother's health

Redskins cornerback Byron Westbrook said he is concerned for the career of his older brother Brian, the star running back for the Philadelphia Eagles who suffered his second concussion of the season Sunday.

Brian Westbrook suffered his first concussion Oct. 26 against Washington at FedEx Field, and Byron Westbrook stood over him as doctors evaluated the situation. Brian sat out for two weeks and returned Sunday against San Diego, but he suffered another concussion. Now, the rest of his season -- and perhaps his career -- are in jeopardy.

"Outside of football, I just want to make sure he's healthy," Brian Westbrook said. "That's still my big brother, and I still care for him and all. I want to make sure that he's fine with the fact that he might need to sit out a couple games, and hopefully that he doesn't end his career on something like this. It's a tough decision, because he's a warrior, he's a competitor, but at the same time, these concussions can end a career."

Byron Westbrook said he talked to Brian, who is older, before the game against the Chargers.

"He told me he was ready," Westbrook said. "He said that he felt fine, that his head felt fine, but as you know, football is a contact sport, a very hard contact sport. He had a hit,
seemed like he didn't get hit that hard, but he ended up not playing the rest of the game."

Brian Westbrook is in Pittsburgh to see a specialist today.

By Barry Svrluga  |  November 18, 2009; 4:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn says Portis 'very doubtful' to play
Next: For Betts, what happens after contact is key

Comments

Bills reportedly pursuing Shanahan

The Buffalo Bills reportedly have contacted former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

According to a report by ESPN, the Bills are in the process of arranging a meeting with Shanahan, the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach who was fired by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen after last season.

The Bills fired Dick Jauron as their coach Tuesday and named defensive coordinator Perry Fewell their interim coach.

According to ESPN, the Bills' candidates also include New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, former New Orleans Saints and St. Louis Rams coach Jim Haslett and Marc Trestman, who's now coaching in the Canadian Football League.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 18, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Haslett would not be available till the week after thanksgiving as he will be busy coaching in the UFL championship.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Blood is thicker than burgundy pants

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

(raising hand as one of the fantasy owners who's also concerned for Byron Westbrook's brother's health... though I'm joking, and I hope the league dramatically and quickly improves their handling of head injuries)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

HC openings will abound in the offseason. Betting there might be some surprises, too. Its possible all 4 NFC East coaches are gone this offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if reid is burnt out, if coughlin finally takes the prune juice so he can go to the bathroom and jerruh finally gets tired of wade. We all know Zorn is gone.

Some others not totally comfortable at this moment include Norv, John Fox, Mike McCarthy, Jim Mora (the putz), Jack Del Rio and Lovie Smith. Wouldn't totally shock me if Belichick retired. Not many HC stay than 10 years in a job, even if successful.

Buffalo, Cle, Oak are all likely to be getting a new HC.

Not saying all, or even most of the HC jobs I mentioned will open up, but seems a lot of teams/coaches might turn the page.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Portis is paying attention. Stay out. Get those ankle spurs taken care of. We aren't winning anything this year anyway.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Nate I agree, the league needs to watch the concussions. Maybe some higher standard of when a player is ready to go back on the field. We don't want to end up with a bunch of troys on or hands

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Nate, glad to see you're not stressing over FF -- as it appears you have little to stress over ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I just hope our new front office is scraping the bottom of the barrel like two season ago. How about the Skins sign Tony Dungy as President of Football Ops and Lovie Smith as Head Coach. I was telling a Bills fan buddy of mine that they should go with GM Marty Schottenheimer and Head Coach Brian Schottenheimer. Brian is definitely up and coming and Marty is a proven winner and a takes no bull attitude. I just hope the Skins are trolling among Haslett, Fox, Fassell, McCarthy, Sherm Lewis, Jerry Gray, or Dennis Green.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Washington Redskins kick returner Rock Cartwright remembers his brain "shaking like a bell" when he was walloped in a game against the New York Giants a few years ago.

"You know how a bell vibrates? That's how my brain was going at that time," he said. "I think five minutes later, I came back to myself. I went back out there and played football."

What Cartwright never did when the hit happened? He never told Washington's medical staff his head ached.

He's not alone. Thirty of 160 NFL players surveyed by The Associated Press from Nov. 2-15 replied that they have hidden or played down the effects of a concussion.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I could see Shanahan going to Chicago if Lovie gets fired. He's from there and Cutler would be his QB again.

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 |

Lovie Smith? Psss Please!

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

It's a slow day so I surfed the web for a list of potential first year head coaches after this season. It's surprising how many on this list has had some connection with the redskin organization. Excerpt form ESPN the Mag

TODD BOWLES
Assistant head coach and secondary coach with the Dolphins. Played eight seasons in the NFL (1986-1993), mostly with the Redskins and since then has been mentored as a potential head coach by a pretty decent judge of coaching character, Mr. Bill Parcells.

JEFF DAVIDSON
Former pro lineman who developed the prototype for the physical, ball-sharing rushing attack with the Panthers only to watch his rising star cool, significantly, when his quarterback Jake Delhomme threw five picks in the Divisional playoffs.

TIE: BRIAN SCHOTTENHEIMER / KYLE SHANAHAN:
Both young. Both talented offensive coordinators. Both sons of former NFL coaches. Both still waiting to make their mark. Both stymied by older, more powerful personalities: Schottenheimer by Brett Favre in NYC and Shanny by Texans head coach Gary Kubiak who still does most of the play calling.

HUE JACKSON
The game is about developing young offensive talent and the Ravens QB coach has a proven track record: Cincinnati's Carson Palmer and Baltimore's Joe Flacco. But he doesn't just work with choir boys. He also coaxed the best out of Bengals bad boy Chad Johnson.

PAT SHURMUR
He's been Donovan McNabb's QB coach in Philly for a decade now. And if you think head coaching candidates need to have experience as coordinators, you probably don't own an NFL franchise—four of the 11 head coaches hired this year had never served as a coordinator.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I like Todd Bowles, haven't heard much buzz about him with all the current nattering about the 6 "former SB winning coaches" currently on the beach. But any former Redskin deserves consideration.

I think that Zorn is gone after this season. I think the Pillsbury Doughboy down in Dallas may be gone MONDAY MORNING. Say goodnight Wade. JJ has been wanting to put the redhead Jason Garrett in charge, let's give him the excuse.

F DALLAS! F their fat, stupid, smelly, rude fans. F their lizard-lipped, Botoxed owner. F their cheerleaders. Me first.

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 18, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why the Redskins can't just fire Zorn and Cerrato. Put in Kukla, Fran, and Ollie to assess the team for the remaining 7 games. Begin the search for a new Head of Football Operations NOW! Start putting together a list. Hire a consultant (Ron Wolf) or someone from the league office to begin the interview process. Hire a President of Football Ops, hand them the keys to Daddy's T-Bird and as soon as soon as the clock expires in Week 17 clean house and bring in all your people. Why do the Skins continue to operate the way they do. Why not detonate everything now? Are they under the illusion that they are going to go 7-0 the rest of the way? It makes zero sense to sit on their arses and do nothing. Someone needs to press the button and 86 this team.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 18, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Todd Bowles? All we need is Detroit's GM, Martin Mayhew, Bowles and Russ Grimm and we'd have a pretty decent old-timey Redskins FO. Make Gibbs the prez ... perfect.

Posted by: periculum | November 18, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Westbrook probably needs to retire. Multiple concussions really are serious business.

Posted by: periculum | November 18, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

It's just so ridiculous. Every year we have no problem eating millions of dollars in player salaries and dumping players left and right with no regard to the cap. Now all of a sudden Danny Boy doesn't want to can Zorn because he'd have to give him a couple of bucks? Big deal its nothing compared to what he shelled out to get rid of Lavar, B. Lloyd, A. Archuleta, D. Sanders, etc. Its chump change for Snyder. Zorn has been demoted to a glorified clip board holder. Hell I could do that for $50,000 a year if you are handing out the cash. Its just beyond a joke. In no other city in the country does anything like this drama occur.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 18, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

nats, I have two points, nay three:

1. How do you think that would impact those players that will be with us next year? you think they will be MORE motivated as the season is turned into a train wreck this year, to play hard NEXT year? debatable.

2. Have you ever seen any NFL team do what you are suggesting? curious.

3. And, given the mess that the NFC is in right now, do you think that just giving up with 8 games left is the right thing to do?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Reading some of these posts make me want to puke! We're in the middle of Dallas week, yet some of you so called fans want the team to give up on the season, and lose games to improve the draft selection. What makes you think that the Skins would actually draft an elite player at a non glamour position? Let's make do with what we have for now and try to instill a winning atitude in the players that we do have. F Dallas!

Posted by: VegasJim | November 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007

I'm thinking times have changed and we just don't know it yet because we haven't seen what is going on behind the scenes. I'm guessing Danny isn't happy about the Skins finances.

I looked online at ebay ticket sales for the Broncos game. Not much going on and it looked like what did sell was going for less than face.

If I'm a season ticket holder and I know I can make some $$$ on the games I skip, I definitely keep my season tix. If I can break even, I probably keep them. But if I'm paying money not to go, then I got some 'splainin to do. And if I can buy tix just for the games I want without having to pay a premium, why buy season tix?

My guess is that a lot of season ticket holders aren't coming back and Danny knows it. I'm also guessing the wait list isn't nearly as long in practice and Danny wants the public to believe.

On top of it, Danny will be paying huge money to unproductive guys at or near the end like Samuels and Portis.

Are we beginning an era of fiscal discipline for the Redskins? Reading the tea leaves, I'd say yes.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

errrr.... I'm also guessing the wait list isn't nearly as long in practice AS Danny wants the public to believe.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan courted by Bills...

'Skins can't contact anyone without interim coach status....

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree z, I moved up to being offered tickets in less than 3 years after putting my name on the waitlist, just in case I moved back to D.C.

and

by the way

F Dallas

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Gruden has re-upped with ESPN. Other candidates are already getting courted.

Where does that leave the Skins?

With so many HC openings on the horizon, I don't see the Skins being competitive to land a big influential type like Shanahan, Cowher or Holmgren.

I think a more and more realistic scenario for the Skins is that Zorn gets fired, Gray or Blache get elevated to HC, and Sherm Lewis gets hired as OC; espceially if the Skins eak out a few more wins this year.

The worst part of it is that I don't know what that would mean for Cerratto - probably means he's sticking around. Ugh.

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The guys who don't have guaranteed multi-millions in their contracts can't afford to get hurt.

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 5:44 PM

zeke- Agreed. I've said it before up here...gave up my tix 3 years ago. Out of the blue, they sent me a renewal this past March, for the exact same seats, with a "we want you back" notice attached.
There's no 150,000+ person waiting list. Maybe in the past, but certainly not now.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Gruden has re-upped with ESPN. Other candidates are already getting courted.

Where does that leave the Skins?

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2009 5:59 PM

I'm under the impression that Blache wouldn't want the gig but I agree with you that this or a similar scenario seems to be what we're headed for.

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Raiders coach Tom Cable, who yanked Russell for Bruce Gradkowski during Sunday's 16-10 loss to the Chiefs, said Wednesday that Gradkowski is the new starter.

Per RaiderBeat.com, Cable called the move an "easy decision."

====================

Here is a team that would love JC's skills. Would not be surprised to see Al Davis go for JC. Tender him and at worst he competes for the Skins QB position.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I keep seeing Jerry Gray's name on the HC list, but I don't see why. Who has he coached up? The secondary is the most underperforming unit on the team. Lots of talent without such great results. Especially considering how good the pass rush has been.

And don't defend the secondary with "the Skins are #1 in pass defense" BS. Only two teams have faced less pass attempts than the Skins. They may be #1 in yards per game, but they are tied for 30th in INTs with KC (5 picks), only the Browns are worse (4 picks).

The defense has been good, the secondary has been the weakest link.

So why is Jerry Gray getting all this speculation for HC?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

swowra, the solution is for Snyder to file whatever league paperwork is necessary to designate Zorn as the "interim head coach" of the Redskins.

It's probably just a formality given that this seems to accurately describe Zorn's position. But if it's necessary to start talking to the Shanahans of the world, and to start getting into bidding wars with the likes of the Bills, I think Danny will do it.

Go, Danny, go! We love you!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

So why is Jerry Gray getting all this speculation for HC?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:30 PM |
-----------------------------------

Could say the same thing about Russ Grimm. He's Assistant Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator, and the Cards are 31st in rushing.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 5:44 PM

Posted by: 4-12

I did a ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES on this a while back ... speculation of course since I don't have any first hand knowledge. I ended it with "Is Dan Snyder's financial success with this franchise far more tenuous than anyone realizes? I'm guessing it is."

Pretty much all the anecdotal evidence I've come across since then, including your comments, tells me that there's probably something to this.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope they don't replace Zorn with a big name. I'd be fine with Jerry Gray or Sherman Smith as HC next year with Vinny GONE and draft picks used on O-linemen.

Zorn is just too "medium" for me. Reminds me of Norv when he was here. Indecisive, no discipline.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

So why is Jerry Gray getting all this speculation for HC?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:30 PM |
-----------------------------------

Posted by: MrRedskin21

The OL coach also does pass pro. And they seem to do a good job of protecting Warner. Warner is 2nd in pass attempts and 14th in sacks. Which is pretty good since Warner isn't all that mobile ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------

Abolsutely.

We're living in an era when Lehman Bros dissolved, where Bear Stearns, large retails banks, and even General Motors are riding on the Edge financially, so it would not surprise me at all to discover that the Redskins franchise (or any NFL franchise for that matter) is not as finanically sound as their PR department (and the league) would like people to believe.

I actually hope it's true. It might finally wake his azz up.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Sherman Smith? I hope you meant the other Sherman and not Zorn's buddy who the Front office avoids like the plague.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I posted a few blogs back about Sherman Lewis being brought in and it essentially took control of the offense away from Zorn.

I also posted that a lot of folks essentially disrespected Lewis in your comments about him.

And thirdly, I also posted that if Zorn did not screw with the play calling of Lewis that Lewis might actually save Zorns job.

Why, because if Zorn is smart enough to manage and let Lewis run the offense and the Redskins practically win out this season it would show that Zorn has the intuitiveness to be a HC.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 18, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:50 PM |
-------------------------------

I agree. Just noting that stats don't necessarily make the guy a bad coach.

I'd be fine with Russ Grimm as HC too. Or Gray or Smith.

I think trying to sign a "big name" would be a mistake. I think there IS talent here, and I believe that if Lewis had been calling the plays from the get-go this year, we win the KC and Detroit games, and possibly Carolina.

We should be 5-4 or 6-3 right now.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

its a collision sport, basketball is a contact sport

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD - WOW!

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

if we didn't yank JC, we win against KC

If we took our FGs we win against Detroit

IMO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

jerry gray spoke to the media after blache just said no

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

if we didn't yank JC, we win against KC

If we took our FGs we win against Detroit

IMO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:02 PM |
-------------------------

I think so, yes.

The Detroit game - from a coaching standpoint - still makes me physically ill.

Zorn going for it on 4th down in the 1st quarter of a scoreless game instead of kicking the FG.

And Zorn declining the third down penalty on Detroit, which gave them another third down instead of making them kick a long FG, also in a scoreless game at that point.

Stupefying.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

if we beat the boys we're 2 games out of 1st

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

my dad got a renewal for his seats he gave up 2 years ago, too

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree that "they" will fail to get a big name coach. The one thing they have done consistently I fail.

Zorn identity, zorn supremecy, zorn ultimatum

Blache, gray, Shem lewis, sherm smith

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Since so many of you have gone off topic, I'll follow.

Portis needs to be inactive for a minimum of six games to give him time to heal. If after this he is ready to play, he will be as good as he's going to be - use him in tandem with Betts (assuming he isn't injured).

Ensure that Portis isn't given any blocking backs - that blocking back isn't needed for the other running backs and has been instrumental in being another tight end in the passing game. If Portis is unwilling to accept this, then his time is cut on the field and he plays as we need him.

For 2010 - fire Cerrato - he is part of the problem with this team - replace with a GM of competence.

If Zorn actually gets the team above .500 at the end of the year, keep him for a third year. If he can take the team from crisis to respectability, then let's keep him for another year with the understanding that playoffs or bust.

Defensive staff - defense functions well enough that continuity on an over .500 run would allow them to keep their job. If the team isn't at least 9-7 at the end of the year a total coaching change is in order and let the new head coach make the decision.

Jason Campbell - here's another over .500 test case. If he can pull this out, he should keep his job for one year. If he cannot work with what he has now, then we know his limitations and we don't need more of him. If he can rise above this, motivate others and lead them to the 9-7 mark, then we have something we can work with.

Yes, a 9-7 record is a pie-in-the-sky expectation for this team, but inertia of winning has an effect on teams as does losing. If the Redskins are really turning things around and beat Dallas in Dallas, then there is hope for more progress. The problem with this team has been too many three and outs - if the running game is established and blocking gives Campbell enough time to find any open receiver (assuming he can finally complete these passes), then we will again see progress.

Quite frankly, I was surprised by the last game - the players showed me something - and we'll all know if this team can salvage a season by Campbell finally hitting the long ball and having a consistent running attack. Running attack with effectiveness will show confidence and that is half the battle.

Will the defense actually prevent the long ball from opponents? Big question. Perhaps not having to be on the field so long with offensive effectiveness will make the pass rush even more effective limiting the chance of the long ball against us.

Okay, Redskins. I'm watching this game Sunday. Make Redskin Nation Proud! Shove those Cowboys around so much that it will be impossible to tell Jerry Jones' lips from his sphincter.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

dpc2003 gets a game ball

F Dallas

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Back to the topic of this thread:

Westbrook is concerned for his brother's health, and rightly so. Concussions are nothing to be taken lightly. 2 in a matter of weeks is really a concern.

There is and must be life after football, and Westbrook and Portis must really think of their future. Concussions cause dementia, early onset of Alzheimers, and in some cases serious brain injuries and death.

Portis should really consider shutting it down for some time, this is his second concussion. He is still suffering from dizziness, blurred vision etc. almost two weeks after the Atlanta game. Portis also has other nagging injuries and is clearly not the same back of seasons past. The pounding has taken its toll and he doesn't have the burst he once had.

Portis, heal up, let your body rest and heal, get in shape and realize you HAVE to practice during the week and maybe next year things will be better, if in fact your still here next year.

Posted by: 72Redskins | November 18, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Since so many of you have gone off topic, I'll follow.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 18, 2009 7:31 PM |

Jesus. One win over a team in a nose dive and the bloogers go giddy with enthusiasm. From being morose to being stoked. What do the shrinkoids calls this? Bipolar disorder? Schizophrenia? Now they are raving about how we should keep Z and Camp, that the Skinz have a power running game and smashmouth is alive and well in DC. Get a grip. The OL is still in bad shape and desperately needs Russell Okung but the dude is most likely out of reach. It has even gone beyond RI. Some deranged ESPN analyst took one look at Camp's stats and proclaimed him a glamour boy QB, never bothering to look at what is behind those stats. Sheesh.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 6:51 PM |

Just to update you on Bear Steamers, they tanked almost two years ago. What was left of them after the shorties had nibbled all the meat off their bones was folded into JP Morgan.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:00 PM

Isn't that the definition of fan?

Posted by: Skins930 | November 18, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 18, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse
_____________________________

It's becoming obvious that this is how Snyder builds a business base of people who will appreciate him or return a favor in the future -- pay them now. It's like paying forward.

Just see how it affected Blache, who recently came to Snyder's defense.

Posted by: Xlnt | November 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 6:45 PM |

The dude has spent 10 yrs milking $$$ from a fan base on a 3 SB high while the team on the field has been mediocre at best. As they say on Wall Street, a bubble that has to burst. An we have seen a lot of that lately. You can equate fan enthusiasm to housing market spreculators who thought housing price were always going to rise. Guess what - eventually they sank. Fans who kept thinking the team was only a FA away from another SB now have to look in the mirror and admit that the team is too many ill-judged FAs and other personnel moves close to bottom dwelling.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

let's make this much clear about snyder according to article i read from the examiner yesterday snyder was looking at shanahan, if he hires shanahan and brings in a real GM no real gm is coming here unless you get rid of cerrato and give him total control of decision making which i don't see snyder doing for now what the fans are trying to do is hurt his pockets by cancelling season tickets and not buying jerseys and not renewing their season tickets right now he's not hurting but what it's gonna come down to is snyder eventually gonna sell this team.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | November 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 6:14 PM |

Snyder is going to have to do better than that if he wants to hold on to those parts of the fan base that have not yet straightened out their middle fingers.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance

To say that DS has been "milking" fans is way off. I think most of the fans are pissed because he squanders so much money and is a very questionable talent evaluator.

And that would be Bear Stearns, not Bear Steamers.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

The fans that pay the freight for this team aren't monolithic.

What is clear is that a large number are in a different position than they were not long ago. Some are losing interest which means no season ticket renewal. Some are unhappy and are going to vote with their pocketbook, meaning no season ticket renewal. Some were keeping the tickets just because they made some money off of selling them, but now they can't get face value for them, which means no season ticket renewal. Some would love to keep season tickets, but the money situation isn't what it used to be so no season ticket renewal.

Being on the waiting list is risk free. When the opportunity comes up to buy season tickets, its not clear how many people will look at the current situation and say, no thanks.

This is all qualitative and perhaps its wrong, but I'm thinking its more likely to be right.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

And that would be Bear Stearns, not Bear Steamers.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 8:44 PM |

You don't understand how to succeed in business w/o even trying. You don't have to succeed on the field. All you have to do is make flashy moves to keep enthusiasm stoked and the $$$ will roll in. At least for a while until even the most diehard fan gets wise to the scam you are running. And it may be Bear Stearns but there sure were a lot of bear steamers all over the place when they tanked.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

"...Thirty of 160 NFL players...replied that they have hidden or played down the effects of a concussion...."

And so, now we have the cause behind why so many young fried millionaires get in trouble with the law or their baby mammas.

Their heads aren't clear.

What a relief!

And here I thought most football players were just smart enough to know how to beat a drug test.

I wish I had an excuse like blown brain cells to use when I did dumb stuff.

I'd tell the state trooper I tried to outrace that I thought he was trying to beat me to the drive through at the local Dunkin Donuts.

I'd explain to the bouncer that I was naked in the champaigne room because I thought my favorite dancer said she wanted a privates party.

The people at the IRS would have to wait as, I'd explain to them, because I wasn't paid on April 15th, I don't see how I owe them money.

Of course, all of this would land me in jail where I'd be smart enough not to drop soap.

Or anything else.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd be fine with Russ Grimm as HC too. Or Gray or Smith.

I think trying to sign a "big name" would be a mistake.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's why I like a "big name".

First of all the "big names" out there (Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher) are competent and successful coaches - nothing wrong with that.

We need competent confident people who've got a pair and aren't afraid swing them onto Danny's chin at a negotiating table...someone very unlike the guy we've got now...

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

And that would be Bear Stearns, not Bear Steamers.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

If suing your fans and banning signs - for the purpose of licensing Geico signs and opening up another revenue stream - is not milking the fans, then he's definitely got his hand on the utter.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 18, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 8:55 PM |

The fall in the resale price for ticks is the harbinger of the rocky financial road ahead for Snyder, just the way falling housing prices were the harbinger of the collapse of the financial underpinnings of the housing market.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

The whole waiting list is a joke.

My family dumped season tix about 4-5 years ago and we did not put ourselves back on anyone's list.

We still get letters/offers from the Skins talking about how we've jumped to the top of some list and now have a chance to renew season tix.

It's a joke and sham.

McCarthy's list of pinkos in the govt was probably more legit.

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Gray: Carlos has too much talent to sit
By: JOHN KEIM
Examiner Staff Writer
11/18/09 4:00 PM EST

Secondary coach Jerry Gray on Carlos Rogers following Wednesday's practice:
On where he worked: "He worked with the ones, yep."
On what role he envisions for Rogers Sunday: "We'll go out there and compete and the guy is going to go out there and play. It was something that happened in the game and people think he did this, he can’t play anymore. He can play. He just has to go back through the progressions. That’s what we’re working on, so we’ll be ready to go."
On the double moves: "If you take a look, if you don’t go through your progressions you can't stop any double move. That’s the thing we've worked back on. That’s what you get during offseason and training camp. If you look at the quarterback, you can't cover any receiver in this league. And that’s what happened."
On whether or not a decision has been made about who will start: "Not yet. Not yet."

What he expects from Rogers: "To me if you any type of fighter your espond and fight. That’s’ what I think he’s going to do. We’ll see on Sunday."

Do you expect him out there Sunday: "Of course. He has too much talent and too much athletic ability and too much fight to not be on the field."

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Why not leave him in the game: "What I do and when I lived that life, if something happens like that I feel to me it’s becoming a trend. It happened in the Philly game, It happened in that game. So I have to protect this guy because sometimes as a corner you can lose confidence. I know those guys over there, I've watched enough flim to know that they're going to pick on guys, they’ll pick on you. And if I left him out there they would pick on him the rest of the game. So I have to be smart enough as a coach to say I’ve got to protecet my guy, we're tyring to win the game. ... It's all about team."

On losing more confidence if you get pulled: "No, I don’t think so. I think there's a period of embarrassment and you get past that and you say coach why did you do that. You explain it and you go on."
On how Rogers reacted in practice: "He practiced well today so obviously he reacted good."
On if there was a thoguth to do something to the others who were beaten: "We made the decision at that time. I thought other guys that got beat it was more a mental mistake, it wasn’t so much going through the proper progressions. If you get your depth on the 75-yarder it would have never been a throw. It wasn’t a double cut that the guy was beat on the second time."
On the double move that Kareem Moore fell for: "We got Kareem, talked to him about it and said to let the underneath coverage take care of that; get your eyes right because what they're doing, they're going from the receiver to the quarterback and you can't stop any routes about that. It's basic and the great corners know it."
Follow me on twitter @John_Keim.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I believe everyone on this site is a true fan, otherwise we wouldn't waste our time posting on this site.When it all boils down, even in the years we are terrible I am still screaming my lungs out in a smokey sports bar in week 17. If I don't believe we will win out and go 10-6, it takes the piss right out of it.Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they are interesting to read, and this is just my take on it. Oh and by the way F%$* Dallas. I hope Orakpo and Carter have a threesome with Romo.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance

DS is a fan first and thats his biggest mistake. He's made several decisions as a fan instead of an owner. I would doubt that he would waste millions trying to pull of a "Scam." Those usually require minimal investment with great returns.

And I'm sure you are correct with all of the little steamers angrily running about.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

DS is a fan first ...

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 9:16 PM |

He a fan first alright. A $$$ first fan. And he have a lot. On Forbes list of bazillionaires.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

How does DS's marketing agreement with Geico milking the fans? As far as suing the fans, I can't condone that but I will say that this happens with other teams as well. If I recall correctly didn't they settle with everyone that reached out to them to resolve the suits? The folks that didn't respond were taken to court.

Anyway, I do think its wrong.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 9:16 PM |

Hey, you ever see bear poop? It ain't little. I was in the woods on a cold day in January and I saw streams of water vapor rising up above a spot not too far away. I went over to the spot and there was a big pile of bear poop! How did I know it was bear poop? The steamers were "C" shaped.

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance

I sure that more info than I will ever need. I'm from SE and I don't go anywhere near woods to this day.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Bear Steamers are Cutler's red zone passes.

Just for the record I've supported Campbell from the day he was drafted, and still do

7th in comp% 1st in 1st down % (on this team)

1st in toughness (unofficial)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

JC's stats are HUGELY inflated with mop up yardage and completions.. He was 2-6 before the Denver game. Thats 6 games he was given anything he wanted in the last 10 minutes of the game as long as it wasnt a score.
Prevent D.
Remember he is 211th out of 214 of ALL NFL QBs IN TDs WHO HAVE ATTEMPTED MORE THAN 900 PASSES SINCE THE NFL WAS FOUNDED. ALMOST 100 YEARS AGO.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mrs Campbell wrote:

Bear Steamers are Cutler's red zone passes.

7th in comp% 1st in 1st down % (on this team)

1st in toughness (unofficial)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 9:49 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | November 18, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Second (and more importanly IMO), a "big name" is far less likely to get pushed around by Snyder (and/or Cerratto) than some assistant/coordinator trying to get a gig or some retread coach trying to eak his way back into the league."
__

P1funk makes a good point.

Until now, I was totally against chasing past performance with big name has-been coaches.

...now I'm just mostly against it.

Posted by: edvar | November 18, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Simple calculus:
Combination GM + HC = PROVEN FAIL.
Big Name = REQUIREMENT for GM + HC
therefore, Big Name = PROVEN FAIL.

So I'm hoping for a CowPie collapse on a lot of different levels, but mainly because they can have Shanahan, or Holmgren, or Cowher, or whoever the heck else they want.

Give me a GM and a young, aggressive power offense HC and I'll be pretty happy with the structure -- while reserving the option to cheer/jeer the results.

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Quote from Carlos Rogers:
"Don't stop my aggression. Don't stop being a physical corner. Just keep your eyes on the receiver and loosen up your cushion."

Really? Does anyone think Carlos is a physical corner? Does he really think he is a physical corner? What part of the 10 yd cushion is physical? What part of the "getting beat by 20 yds" deems him physical? Anyone care to chime in?

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 18, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This thing is dead tonight...

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Not dead, edvar, just playing possum.

Also, rust never sleeps.

Or something.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 19, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BilboBaggerVance | November 18, 2009 8:24 PM |

Good analogy. Many posters to this blog moan and groan about how Snyder has been an utter failure. This "milk" analogy suggests that the dude has been an utter success, wouldn't you say?

Posted by: MrPink | November 19, 2009 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Not dead, edvar, just playing possum.

Also, rust never sleeps.

Or something.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 19, 2009 1:26 AM |

Mr. PDX - caught an earlier post of yours about Jerry Glandville getting the boot from PSU. That got me to thinking that Zornykins might be a good match with PSU. His New Agey shtick would fit right in with the univ and the city. And he could commute from Seattle. It ain't a high pressure, produce now or begone type of situation, which would be a welcome relief for him after the rigors Snyderato. Mebbe you could check around to see if there is any receptivity to this idea. If so, we could pass it on to Z. Or mebbe he has feelers out already. I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Posted by: MrPink | November 19, 2009 2:42 AM | Report abuse

McCarthy's list of pinkos in the govt was probably more legit.

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2009 9:05 PM |

McCarthy's list? What is that? Am I on it? Doesn't sound good to me.

Posted by: MrPink | November 19, 2009 2:45 AM | Report abuse

*** Post Picks Update ***

I'm tied for 269th. Sweet.

*** End Post Picks Update ***

Posted by: dcsween | November 19, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Reasons for Snyder to pursue Shanahan during regular season is not only that the Buffalo job is open. There could be opening at the following more desirable stops: Dallas, San Diego, Carolina, Jacksonville, and Tennessee after the season. Oakland is probably the only less desirable stop than Washington. Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren et al. will have their choices of where to coach if they decide to return next year. Both Dallas and San Diego have franchise QB's, younger rosters, and could contend immediately.

Carolina, Jacksonville, and Tennessee are all veteran teams who need to decide whether it is time to rebuild. Unlike D.C., they have owners who will let the GM hire the coach and let their head coach hire his staff.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 19, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse