Campbell Knows He's on the Clock

In this morning's paper, Jason Reid wrote about the "kewbie," as Jim Zorn says it, after catching up with Jason Campbell the other day. The first practice of training camp is at 8:30 Thursday morning, as if you didn't know, and Zorn will talk to media members at 12:30 today.

Among Campbell's other comments:

"No one has to tell me I need to push myself, I need to be the leader of the team and I have to set an example," Campbell said. "I know that, and that's why I work as hard as I do, because I want to be the type of quarterback who takes us to the next level. But you always have things you can work on, things you can do to improve, and one thing is I'm going to be a lot more vocal this year. I really think it's time for me to take that role, and I'm going to let all my teammates know that and see that."

By Cindy Boren  |  July 29, 2009; 6:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Little Vick-Redskins Update
Next: The Skinny on Mike Williams's Weight Loss

Comments

where are you slappys? first!

Posted by: last1 | July 29, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

FIRST!!! hope Cambell has a great year, Go Skins

Posted by: SneakyMcSneak3r | July 29, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Upon further review, reading that article on the O-line made me feel a lot better about that unit. If these guys are trimming down and getting leaner and stronger that gives them a fighting chance at not only improving their general performance, but also at staying healthy. Fingers crossed...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

2 very good articles this morning. Football is almost here!

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Please Jason Reid tell us something new. Your articles rehash everything we already know. Been like that since you joined the Post. Compare your content with the Post's new writer this morning who covered the O-line weight loss program with quotes from the Weight Loss Program developer and I am astounded by the newsworthiness of both articles. La Canfora is gone and you're on your own buddy. Tell me something new, for crying out loud.

Posted by: getitritegov | July 29, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

"During a closed-door meeting in owner Daniel Snyder's office in April, Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell listened attentively as Snyder voiced concerns about Campbell's performance last season. Snyder told Campbell he wants him to become a franchise quarterback, Campbell recalled Monday, but he has not reached that level yet in Snyder's opinion. "

See, this is the sh*t I'm talking about...who the f*ck does Snyder think he is telling Campbell that? How many QBs has he developed? How many players has he coached? He probably couldn't even throw a spiral to save his own wretched life and he's telling Campbell he needs to be a franchise quarterback? F*ck that.

JC is too classy and low key for this, but I wish to God he just sat there and said, "maybe if you stop changing coaches and coordinators and gave me some help on offense I'd already be the franchise quarterback you want!" He's got nothing to lose, he's already gone anyway.

This just highlights how bad off we are with this career @sshat as our owner...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Another article on Jason Campbell talking about how he is going to get better... Talking about how he is progessing... Talking about how now he really understands...

blah, blah, blah.. stop talking Jason and play. I have never heard someone talk so much about how he is GOING to do things..

Posted by: Hondo5 | July 29, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

RIP Jim Johnson.

A little late but I was out of the loop last night.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Both articles are great reads. I been rolling with JC since day one and will continue and totally agree with your post B.

You have to pull for Big Will dropping all that weight.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Everything Soup said up there is fine and dandy - but did you see or hear ONE SENTENCE about WINNING??!! Ok, maybe the 'next level' stuff implies that...

...But if all he's thinking about it implication, they'll be implicated to another post-season on the couch...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Without this......

"Depth-wise, this is probably one of the better offensive lines we've had here for a long, long time," Bugel said.

.....nothing JC wants to do will happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

if jc can pick up his speed getting to the line then he will have the right to chastise his o line. if he can not move faster then they will not either. hope he has improved this.

Posted by: rls1041 | July 29, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

"Youll be the best O-line in the NFL or my name aint Nathan Arizona!"

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rls1041 | July 29, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Not having to call formations or protection schemes should help with that.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 7:38 AM

The owner? I thought that when you owned a business that it was your right to decide who you pay and who you don't. And when you're not happy with an employee's performance, aren't you doing him a favor by giving him feedback on what he's doing wrong and what he needs to do to improve?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Condolences to Jim Johnson's family...may they find peace in this time....

Good write up about the o-line. At first I was worried that they'd be a little too light, but apart from Samuels, they're all still big uglies....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'm tired of morons complaining about Snyder, talking about, "what does he know about developing Qb's or throwing a spiral..." well I'll let you in on a secret "brownwood26" He pays the bills! & that's all he needs to know about football. and as long as he does that, he has the absolute right to ask Campbell & anyone else on the team to step up his game. And YES JC needs to do that like 2 years ago! i agree with the Skins trying to bring in an upgrade at QB and still think we should keep trying. its all about providing the Team & Coaches with the best available talent. JC has shown what he can do already, or maybe Campbell needs a Vick on the team to light a fire under his feet. Just win! Let's go SKINS!!!!

Posted by: Nigarachi | July 29, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 8:17 AM

You have every right to do that if you're involved and experienced in the day-to-day operations. As meddlesome as Snyder is, he's not in meetings or film study so he has no right to critique a performance he has no idea how to evaluate.

That's like the owner of your company whose office is in Los Angeles telling you how to do your job in Washington. He's got to rely on your superiors to handle you if you're not performing up to snuff because they deal with you daily. Him jumping in does nothing but usurp your supervisor's authority and make you pissed off.

Wait...I forgot, you're the semantics guy...maybe I shouldn't say "he doesn't have the right", so much as he doesn't have the expertise to make that call. JC's passer rating was right on par with anything Brunell put up as the starter here, and I don't recall Brunell getting called into the owner's office.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

JC, just win baby.

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm encouraged about our oline after reading the article; where were Rabach, and Thomas?

So Danny doesn't think JC is a "franchise" QB?

I don't think Danny is a "franchise" owner.

He's got a lot of nerve

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 29, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 8:32 AM

no its more like the Owner at every game home and away telling the Qb to get better at his skill, like a few rookie Qb's last yr did through the year in a new system and not regress every yr as the season ends. Key words of the day "Franchise" & "Quaterback"

Posted by: Nigarachi | July 29, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 8:32 AM

No, what I recall is Brunell getting benched in favor of JC. As for the rest of your rambling, Snyder has plenty of experts who advise him on whether JC is getting the job done, including all of us on RI. And the real test was when he tried to trade JC and the best offer he had was, what, a third rounder? I doubt that Snyder told JC anything that he hadn't already heard from coach Zorn.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is the owner of the Skins. He pays the players, wants them to succeed, and expects the team to win. He has every right to review his employees performance and set goals for the upcoming season.

It was the previous Washington Post reporters and sports editor who created the QB controversy in the first place. I believe team simply inquired about the availability of certain QBs as part of the off-season due diligence. It's not like the Skins traded Campbell, Orakpo, and Jarmon for a rookie QB as some on this blog professed...

Their starting QB is in the last year of his contract and for the first time in the second year of an offense. I'm confident that he will perform much better this year given a healthy OL, better OL depth, and more experienced skill players. The Seattle offense was pretty good at scoring and hopefully the Skins will be as well.

Snyder was right -- it's time for Campbell to become a franchise QB, score TDs, and win games for the Redskins!

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea what the problem is with the FO trying to upgrade positions. Campbell isn't a franchise qb I don't think that is even a question.

I question who he felt would be an adequate upgrade in Sanchez or Cutler but in terms of getting the job done there is no question JC didn't get it done.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nigarachi | July 29, 2009 8:41 AM

Franchise QBs are made, not born. JC is better than his predecessor and whoever his successor will be. "Franchise QBs" aren't available in free agency. And to draft one you have to have patience, as apparently the Redskins don't since they're ready to pull the plug on Campbell after only 2 1/2 seasons.

Match up Campbell's numbers with Drew Brees early in his career. See what patience can do for a young QB.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 8:41 AM

Right...by that logic Randy Moss must suck since he got traded to New England for a 4th rounder...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Etrod while that is true it's pretty simple to figure out on his own.

Good point brownwood Except he wasn't 30+ coming off the worse season of his life by far and in trouble with the law oh and he's a QB.

It's just like the Vick thing. It's not that he's untouchable because of the dog fighting it's because he wasn't that good. If Payton Manning had been busted teams would be talking about redemption and falling over themselves to pick the guy up.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, agreed that the owner has the right to do pretty much what he wants, but that sort of undercuts Zorn's role as the leader of the team - typically, that should be avoided.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 29, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Let's put it this way: would Dan Rooney have a sit down with his QB about how he's playing? Or Robert Kraft? Good owners leave that stuff up to the football experts he hired because ultimately it's their problem (since their jobs depend on it). Regardless of whether he's got a legal right to do it, Snyder's got no business doing it. Period. As the owner, he could walk out onto the field during the game if he wants to, doesn't mean he should.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"Tell me something new, for crying out loud. Posted by: getitritegov"

You too. Let's here some original thoughts from you this season.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"If the "Raising Arizona" workouts the lineman--Dock, Williams, Samuels--went prove beneficial, we'll have something special to look forward to this fall.Posted by: MistaMoe"

I hear the workouts included chasing your wife's car down the highway while holding aloft a pack of Huggies; tunneling out an Arizona prison; and wrestling for grenades.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Campbell isn't a franchise qb I don't think that is even a question. Posted by: Gweez

I don't think we know this statement to be true yet. It is true he hasn't played to that level to date. However, that could be the fault of the FO for all the coaching changes, offensive philosophical changes, and the lack of a comprehensive plan of player acquisition. JC has taken the correct approach to answering this question in the offseason, and I'm hoping the hardwork and preparation manifests itself during the season in mor wins.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle

Well, Joey T is saying it for JC. On Redskins Nation yesterday he JINXED us by predicting we will play in the Super Bowl. Yes, he actually said the Super Bowl!

On the other hand, Sporting News has us going 4-12 - along with the Rams, Lions, and Bucs. They even have JAX ahead of us - at 6-12. Can someone please tell me what they see in JAX to rate them ahead of us (other than the fact we play in the NFC and in a TOUGH division)?

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 29, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"The owner of the franchise has every right to sit his QB down and tell him to become a franchise QB. Although the chat would carry more weight in Campbell's eyes if the owner had demonstrated in the past that he knew anything about running a frachise.Posted by: Original_etrod"

Once an employer sat me down and confided in me in all seriousness that he needed our particular department to make more money. "Wow,", I told him. "Thanks for explaining that. Any ideas as to how?"

We all work for morons. They run the world.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"And the real test was when he tried to trade JC and the best offer he had was, what, a third rounder?"

Actually, putting aside the notion that you somehow know what was offered for Campbell, the real test was when Snyder attempted to trade for Jay Cutler, but his own right-hand-man and General Manager pulled pulled out of the deal to the dismay of Snyder himself.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

And, not surprising, they pulled out of the Sanchez deal as well. Through all the assertions that Campbell is not a franchise quarterback, he still is this franchises quarterback, despite the multiple options Snyder and Cerrato had to begin moving in another direction.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Twisi,

I didn't say he could never be, I said he wasn't meaning now. I hope he becomes one this year but at the moment he's not a franchise QB.

People need to quit talking like he's some rookie also. The guy has been in the league half a decade and while there is no question that he's been screwed on the system/OC tip at some point you either got it or you don't.

The clock is ticking...

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"We all work for morons. They run the world."

Someone should stitch that on a pillow somewhere.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 29, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Maybe instead of the Hogs, they should be the Warthogs from Hell.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Solid O-line play + solid performances from D Thomas, M Kelly, and F Davis = A strong season with 10 + wins.

Now, will some other team please sign M Vick so I don't have to worry about what his presence will mean to this team and if I could support them.

Posted by: Devo2 | July 29, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 8:32 AM

Last I checked, all of us hear spend most of our time here critiqueing player's performances. So it's ok for fans to do it but not ok for the friggin owner? If that is your position, then we should see no more comments about JC's passer rating coming from you. I would venture to say that Snyder knows at least as much as any one of us because A) like most of us he is and has been a huge Skins fan for life and B) has spent the last decade in the company of some of the best minds in football not to mention spending time with the team. Now whether he uses that information to make the best decisions is certainly debatable but to say he doesn't know jack about football is ignorant. And to say that an owner should have no say in the performance of his employees is ridiculous.

Posted by: amaranthpa | July 29, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nigarachi | July 29, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

does anyone else have a problem with this guy's handle? I'm not exactly Mr. PC but that ain't too cool

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 29, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I could do without it, LMG.

I've never been too supportive of the co-opting of the word.

Then again, I spent yesterday afternoon watching the Don Rickles documentary...

Question: Where are all the 'Raising Arizona' references coming from? Not complaining, mind you... You're not just telling us what we want to hear, now, are ya, Hi?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 9:29 AM

And on the same token, people need to stop talking like he's played all 4 years.

He's played 2 1/2. And if you compare the first 2 full seasons of Drew Brees' career (he only played one game as a rookie), Campbell's numbers are actually better. So all this stuff about him not being a franchise QB today means nothing if he is in 2009 or for another team in the future.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,
No doubt you have a better record than Joe T, when it comes to predictions.

What do you say the Skins do this year?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Lisa - mebbe they see a better owner & less derision between the coarch, management & players?

Talent wise, I don't see too many teams ahead of us overall.

I'm still putting us at 10-6 even if Soup's play is the same as last year...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

does anyone else have a problem with this guy's handle[Nigarachi]? I'm not exactly Mr. PC but that ain't too cool.

Not that i ever had it as a spelling word but isn't the politically incorrect version with 2 'g's? Are we seriously going to eliminate all words beginning with "Nig..."?

Posted by: amaranthpa | July 29, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Reading that article really makes it easier to understand why the offense was a mess last year.

The hard thing to explain was why they were successful in the first half of the season.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I believe in Jason, another year with the same offense. D. Thomas has another year in the offense as well as Fred Davis. Let's just see Marko Mitchell become this years Marques Colston, and that will leave Santana open deep with big holes for CP. Our offense stalled because the passing game stunk. Let our big recievers body up these corners and big things will happen. All we have to do is get a lead, run the ball and let AH and company tee off on the opposing teams QB.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 29, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 9:45 AM

Do I understand that you're agreeing that he's not yet a franchise QB (like Mr. Snyder told him), but that you think he could be one someday if he improves (like Mr. Snyder told him)? Is this sort of like when the investment companies say "Past results are no guarantee of future performance?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Why Vick will be a Redskin...
Dan's thought process..
>>>> Cost of obtaining Vick? Probably just the Vet minimum.
Return on the investment..

* Heightened worldwide Media attention on the "Redskins Brand" with the weekly storyline.."When will Vick play?" coverage, Means a tremendous increase in Redskins Brand power (ie. Sales and Profits).

* FedEx Field sell-outs (1 million Virginia Tech alumni in DC area).

* Vick on the bench as backup or active = Jersey sales.

* A full stadium means Huge concession profits.

All this for a vet minimum salary signing. Makes absolute business sense.

Most importantly the above Vick signing benefits will further increase the Skin's cash reserve in preparation for the impending removal of the spending Cap.
When that Cap is removed.. the NFL will become much like the MLB and the Cowboys and Redskins becoming similar to the Yankess and Red Sox.... Both using vast fan-based income to snap up top tier Free Agents.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

can't wait for Vick to get signed somewhere other than here, so all these blow-hard idiots can stop talking about it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Franchise Poster!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

beep friggin beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

When Brees was age 25 he went 11-4 had a 65% pass percentage and 27 td's to 7 INTS and went to the Pro Bowl. (He had 41 games under his belt by this time. JC has had 36)

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh...forgot another benefit of Vick on the bench as a Redskin....
*PETA protests in the FedEx parking lot.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 10:02 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually starting to warm to the idea, as long as he isn't set on being the starting QB.

Having Ron Mexico as a backup would be srsly dope!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Vick on the bench for a year..pushing JC to perform. JC's stats are much better when he is fighting for a job...
And Dan makes a 100 million on a 600k Vick investment.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having Ron Mexico as a backup would be srsly dope!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 10:10 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"lead by example" and "its time for me to step up"
argh... I clipped and pasted these JC quotes into google with his name and 2008, 2007 and 2006 popped up with JC saying the exact same cliches....
same old same old.....
And what a waste of a great top ranked Defense the last 4 years.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

By the time [Drew Brees] was JC's age now he'd taken his team to an NFL championship and been voted first team All-Pro."
Posted by: Gweez"

What year was Drew's Super Bowl win? I must have missed it.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

cut and paste article by cindy boren, mr. mayor if you have any say, she sucks. I don't think she's actually written a sentence for this blog.

when the post lists Campbell's stats from last seeze they should ALWAYS ALWAYS mention his Redskins team record for int % !!!!! Credit where credit is due AND next year who cares about last year. the post really missed the opportunity to SUPPORT the team, qb, and fans.

Portis was 4th in rushing you portis-haters

another thing people love to bring up our 2-6 finish, NOONE was expecting us to go 6-2. only a half a glass of water is a clearer example of looking at the cup as half empty.

OK the 'portis only broke 80 yards once stat' in AT LEAST one of those games he was 100+ in combined yards. Why the 'glass half empty' attitude??? Because yu don't like Danny or Vinny. Well they aren't the ones getting hit by the DeMarcus Wares and Brian Dawkinses.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | July 29, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Vick was at Redskins Park?? According to Yahoo sports referring a tweet from Cooley's bro.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dan's thought process..
>>>> Cost of obtaining Vick? Probably just the Vet minimum.
Return on the investment..

* FedEx Field sell-outs (1 million Virginia Tech alumni in DC area).

* Vick on the bench as backup or active = Jersey sales.

* A full stadium means Huge concession profits.

All this for a vet minimum salary signing. Makes absolute business sense.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 10:00 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"By the time he was JC's age now he'd taken his team to an NFL championship and been voted first team All-Pro.Posted by: Gweez"

What NFL championship?

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2009 11:17 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Sorry mate I meant an NFC championship game. Typo.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
____
No but Brunell was benched and then cut.. I'm fine with it if they do the same to JC.

Posted by: sovine08 | July 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Just say no to Vick. Still do not understand Bugel's comments on the 'deepest' line we have had here. Wonder if Kendall will be brought back. With the aged Jansen and Kendall departed and replaced by Jabba the Hut and Docks are we really that improved? Maybe with expected development of some of the younger players. I know they brought some MD OL in as FAs so I'm thinking thats where the depth is coming from that Bugel is talking about...Heyer did pretty good and maybe they can repeat with some of the Terps they brought in.

Posted by: HughGRection | July 29, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse