Campbell: Losing a Guy Like McNair Hurts

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell had only returned to the area recently after a stretch back home in Mississippi and was shocked to learn that former quarterback Steve McNair, also from Mississippi, had been shot to death today in Nashville.

"I'm just devastated. Just in shock right now. He was so great in our community [in Mississippi]. When I heard about it today, it just sounded so unreal. I was just back home talking about him with a local friend. You go into total shock because you don't believe it. You don't know the details behind everything. You don't know what really happened, and you don't want to believe it. He just retired and he was just going to start living that next part of his life after football. I know a lot of his brothers. My heart just goes out to everyone in his family.

"The whole black quarterback thing, it's like a fraternity. Guys who played before you pass the torch down to younger guys. You always keep in contact with those guys who came before you. You try to keep in contact with them and learn as much as possible from them. Losing a guy like that from our fraternity ... it hurts because of how much you looked up to him. He's definitely one of the guys I looked up to. A lot of other guys looked up to him to. It's just a real hard day."

Secondary coach Jerry Gray also was close to McNair from his days in Tennessee and said:

"Steve was a very close friend. He was a tremendous competitor and a great guy to be around. Young players could learn a great deal from the way that he played the game. You hate to see a guy like Steve lose his life at such a young age. My thoughts and prayers are with the McNair family."

[For more on the Campbell-McNair QB connection -- which also includes a Mississippi guy named Favre -- see Mike Wise's October 2007 story.]

By Jason Reid  |  July 4, 2009; 7:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNair's Death a Flashback for Williams
Next: Smith: I'll Always Remember McNair's Toughness

Comments

What a trategy! A senseless loss! I am not sure what is wrong with our communities but the loss of the likes of S. Taylor and S. McNair really hurts.

Posted by: malta1 | July 4, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I mean tragedy.

Posted by: malta1 | July 4, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Sad..
Sounds like another robbery gone bad or jealous ex.

Posted by: shamken | July 4, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Tragedy to be sure...an utterly needless waste of a life. (HIS)

Now his kids have to grow up with no father because of an extremely poor choice on his part.

His wife must be reeling, she is the real victim here. Not only has she lost her husband, she's been humiliated by his betrayal and left to pick up the pieces and try to make sense of it all for the kids.

Posted by: McMetal | July 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McMetal | July 6, 2009 9:31 AM

I'd add the kids as real victims, as well. Devastating to the wife, to be sure, but even that much more of a injury to his and her children who lack the adult tools to deal with this, who have lost a person whose presence or absence can profoundly affect the rest of their lives.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | July 6, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Tragedy to be sure...an utterly needless waste of a life. (HIS)

Posted by: McMetal | July 6, 2009 9:31 AM

What an insensitive and ignorant statement!!!

My heart goes out to the entire family including the wife. But I wouldn't call her the "real" victim as indicated above, as if she's the only one suffering in this situation. Surly there are a bunch of victims here... the wife, the kids, and all of his other loved ones and friends. But first and foremost the victim is Steve McNair... he's the one who lost his life.

I'm not advocating his infidelity at all, but what I am saying is that because he may have made a poor choice doesn't mean he should have paid for it with his life. The man was MURDERED. And there is no way that he should be blamed for that, regardless of what choices he made in his personal life.

The police have said that the investigation is still ongoing. So there's a reasons why they are delaying calling it by what it appears to look like. For all we know it could've been a robbery that was staged to look like a murder-suicide. And if that's the case, anybody can fall victim to this type of crime, regardless of what going on in their personal lives. Or have you forgot what happened to Sean Taylor?

So please have respect for the deceased and hold judgement. Just like in the Micheal Jackson situation, people are always so quick to dwell on negativity when someone passes away.

Posted by: PhemonSkinsFan | July 6, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

As I read the articles and posts I can't help think that in this day and age, accountability is huge. My sympathy goes out to all involved, but at the same time, the accountability for placing himself into this situation falls upon Mr.McNair. Had he not strayed from his marriage and involved himself publically with a 20 year old waitress, this surely would not have happened. Great football players do not make great human beings,,what we see publically isn't who they are behind closed doors. I feel we idolize ball players and place them with exception when they do wrong. Had he been home with his wife and sons, and valuing the committment to his family rather than ignoring his responsibilities, this surely would of been avoided. Karma is a scary thing.

Posted by: Skinsfan1966 | July 6, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the whole fraternity is shrinking because first McNair and after this year, no more Campbell!!

Posted by: scottmando | July 7, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I like the double standard, skinfan1966. When it happened to Sean Taylor it was "oh so tragic", but when it happens to someone from another team, "he brought it on himself"

Posted by: tigger0705 | July 8, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"The whole black quarterback thing, it's like a fraternity."
____
Does anyone else have a problem with this?? Why is everything about race?? So what if McNair was White it wouldn't have been so tragic for Campbell??? What if White QB's had a fraternity thing?? Would that be okay? Oh to many White QB's to have a thing. Well how about a White WR thing or White defensive player thing??? An NFL player died before his time.. it doesn't matter his race. I want Campbell to move on to another team because I don't think he is a good player but now add I don't like the way he thinks either...

Posted by: sovine08 | July 8, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

sovine, I agree. And when Campbell stinks up the joint, again, he'll have an excuse. Plus the whole line about how the older black qb's "pass the torch " and "learning as much as possible from them" implies that somehow they have more to offer than the white QBs.

Posted by: tigger0705 | July 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

PhemonSkinsFan I agree with you people need to stop judging people like they were there none of us know what really happen t

Posted by: keisongpowell | July 8, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse