Campbell, McNabb HS Coaches Honored

From Jason La Canfora:

Jason Campbell and Donovan McNabb are friends, but Campbell said they have not chatted in a while because both have been a little busy. Campbell said he plans to call McNabb this week, but, in the meantime, their high school coaches are getting acquainted. They are part of the staff named by USA Football to coach the 2009 junior national team. Here's their background:

FRANK LENTI, Chicago Mount Carmel High School, Offensive Line

In 24 years as Mount Carmel's head coach, Lenti has led the Caravan to nine Illinois state championships and 13 state title game appearances. Lenti was the prep head coach of current Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb and has led Mount Carmel to 22 consecutive state playoff berths.

MARCUS BOYLES, Wayne County (Miss.) High School, Wide Receivers

Entering his 15th high school head coaching season, Boyles has guided his teams to five state championships - three of those five with his Wayne County War Eagles. A high school head coach of current Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell [Taylorsville (Miss.) H.S.], Boyles has a Magnolia State prep head coaching record of 177-21 (.894).

By Cindy Boren  |  September 30, 2008; 1:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carter: Defense Feels Good about Its Potential
Next: Redskins No. 1 in Sagarin Ratings

Comments

"...but I also want us to make sure that we don't get too excited over these past few games."

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 30, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Sports_Guru, for being the boss of everyone's excitement. You're the best sports guru ever!

Posted by: EpsteinsMothersDoctor

LOL! Thanks!

Seriously though, we went 7-1 before and missed the playoffs. I just want to stay realistic. At this point we dont know if New Orleans, Arizona and Dallas will finish with winning records, or be the goats of the conference....OR they could all be playoff teams and we could go 15-1.

See, my point is this. I wanted to judge Jason as mediocre based on my information from 22 NFL starts, and I was told that wasn't enough time to make a judgement.

Now he has strung together a few good games, can we really say he's the best thing since sliced bread after 3 games.

To me it seems hypocritical if you cant call him mediocre after 22 games, because it was such a small number, yet call him great after a miniscule number of games like 3.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 30, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 30, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Great job by both Gentlemen,

Love to see these long tenured HS coaches getting it done.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 30, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

From PFT,

REPORT: DAVIS FIRES KIFFIN, TELLS HIM HE’S NOT GETTING PAID
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 30, 2008, 12:57 p.m. EDT
Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Raiders owner Al Davis called head coach Lane Kiffin this morning and told him that he’s fired.

Per Mortensen, Davis told Kiffin that he is terminating him without pay, and that Kiffin should not expect to receive the remaining money due him on his contract. It’s safe to assume Kiffin and his agent/lawyer will have something to say about that.

John Clayton reported on ESPN that Kiffin is still owed $3.5 million.

It’s not clear who the new head coach of the Raiders will be, but Mortensen said offensive line coach Tom Cable is the most likely choice.

From me,

Davis is a moron you can't just fire somneone with a contract and then not pay them, the NFL should step in here this guy has lost his marbles.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

You guys are letting Sports_DuDu off the hook to easy, he is trying to say he was talking about his first 22 games when in fact he said JC did not have the intellegience to be an NFL Quarterback.

Dont ease out of that statement Sports_DuDu

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 30, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I'm still 4-12. Although to be clear, it's not a prediction, just a moniker at this point.

And speaking of monikers, 4th...sorry for the confusion yesterday. When I "signed" the so white post, I was taking a page from the "filling in for" poster, which from now on I will leave for that person to do their thing.
Even though I am very white (as those who've met me can attest to), I did grow up in G'burg, and do know what Bama means.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 30, 2008 1:34 PM

Thats fine, but weren't you ready to board the Colt Brennan bandwagon after only 2 good preseason games? How much sense did that make?

Couldn't we say that the difference so far between Campbell last and this year is that he is being allowed to throw more in this offense and (gasp) he is gettng better coaching?

Nobodys ready to anoint the guy yet, but he's defintely an NFL level QB (and an improving one). Something you said he wasn't.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Why am I bothering I don't know. You don't know how long it takes for a QB to develop. You don't know what to look for in a QB maturation process. You dont know what mistakes are fixable and what mistakes are not. You dont know what losses and wins are attributable to the QB. You don't know who is capable of learning what offense and then executing it.

I think a lot of teams are making a mistake and dumping QBs way too soon this year. Smith and Lienhart should have gotten this year to show if they can mature and are not getting that chance.

And yes thats nuts Davis should not only have to pay the man but the NFL needs to look at forcing the old wack job out, either his sons take ownership or the NFL takes the team.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

As for Guru, the reason I've always said that JC will be a good QB, now I'm thinking he might be better than I thought, is that he has improved his completion percentage, cut down his ints, while learning several offenses. You on the other ignored his on the field acomplishments over those years and reverted to sterotyped analysis from draft person.

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

how in the world is the team we beat(cowgirls) still ranked higher than us. It not like we stole a last second victory we beat them the entire game.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 30, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@ greatone1

Be happy about that. The rankings mean absolutely nothing. Let them all keep talking up the Cowgirls, the G-women and Eagles (is there a word for female Eagles?).

We'll knock em all off, one game at a time.

Posted by: redskins91 | September 30, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse