Campbell More Concerned with Decisions than Stats

From Jason Reid:

Quarterback Jason Campbell now has thrown nine touchdown passes and three interceptions. Nine touchdowns in 10 games are not a lot, but touchdowns alone do not indicate how well a quarterback has performed, Campbell said.

"It's funny to me when people look at quarterbacks and say, 'Well, he doesn't have a lot of touchdown passes, so he must not be doing a good job,' " said Campbell, who has 2,122 yards passing and a 90.3 passer rating.

"I know that's the way some fans kind of think. But just because some guys have more touchdown passes than other guys, that doesn't always tell you what type of job he's doing in the offense."

The Redskins leaned heavily on running back Clinton Portis this season, which contributed to Campbell having fewer opportunities. And the lack of production by rookie wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly has adversely affected the passing game in many areas.

Jim Zorn, the play-caller, has been limited in his options at times. And with top wide receiver Santana Moss, the team's only consistent deep threat, recovering from a sore hamstring, Campbell often has played it safe.

"The most important thing is making good decisions that help the team win," Campbell said. "If you just try to go out there and throw touchdowns, just try to focus on that, then you're not doing your job. It's not all about statistics. It's about running the offense, doing the right things and being a leader."

The Redskins envision Kelly, who has had knee problems all season, helping at some point in the final six games. Thomas has displayed encouraging signs in practice recently, coaches and players said recently, and he might become more involved in upcoming game plans. Kelly and Thomas could help the passing game become more productive, Campbell said.

"Those guys definitely have talent, and we need them, so you just keep hoping they come along," Campbell said. "Those are guys we were counting on, but you just have to keep encouraging them. With Malcolm, just from what we saw [back in training camp], you know he could help us in the red zone.

"And Devin is a guy who could definitely help, especially with Santana having that hamstring. But even if everyone is healthy, you still have to play within the offense. You don't take chances that aren't there just to have those stats. If the opportunities are there [to throw touchdowns], then you take 'em. If not, you wait."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 18, 2008; 1:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thomas Heartened by Role at the End
Next: Skins Know They Play Better in Adversity

Comments

first. whatever.

Posted by: online360 | November 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope Poolman drowns in a pool. But then again, he'll haunt the blog by complaining how many black people are in hell...

Oh, and Poolman...I'm black so I can say that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Can we start a rally for Zorn to go "no huddle" for stretches of the game? [Good points deleted for space.]

Posted by: gregskins | November 18, 2008 1:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing last night. One of the big things we seem to lack on offense right now is a sense of urgency. One way to manufacture that urgency is to speed up the pace, forcing guys to make quicker decisions.

No-huddle. I'm all for it.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 18, 2008 1:20 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | November 18, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes he is right its not all about stats but 1 more TD a game and we are 9-1

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry 8-2

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Less pub for that chooch. They feed off it so less is better. Just report him and hopefully Cyn will take care of it.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

It doesn't matter whether the extra TD is via pass, run or special teams/defense. They just need to get more points!

They had better score on Seattle this week. That D is awful...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Zorn commented on the tempo before, but as a fan I agree. Even with a slight lead it would make sense if your offense is stalling.

I'm a fan of Campbell, but when you're behind late in the 4th. You do takes some chances, you play Favre-ball.

No urgency or seizing the opportunity that's before you. Perhaps this too will come.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I wish JC had a little more gun slinger in him. Sometimes you have to trust your recievers will make the play for you.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

despite his rating, campbell has digressed -- just look at flacco and the other 1st year QB's -- and how clemons outplayed him last year in the jets game -- it's looking more and more like campbell is not a franchise QB -- sorry

Posted by: bestmick1 | November 18, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Was there any effort to draw the dallas DL off sides?

I recall dallas picking up a lot of penalties, but I don't remember any off-sides.

It seems like they might have bitten on a few hard counts.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

no huddle? sorry, campbell can't run a no-huddle.

Posted by: bestmick1 | November 18, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the number 1 issue is that line always has been always will be. A great line makes average players into above average and good players into HOF material.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm posting this here also....Can we start a rally for Zorn to go "no huddle" for stretches of the game? Given the fact that defenses seem to be playing deep and allowing the underneath stuff with little to no RAC (run after catch), I think this would be the perfect change of pace. JC seems to flourish in it and he doesn't have as much time to over-think or hold the ball too long. It would also wear down or soften defenses faster and not allow them to freely substitute on 3rd downs especially with the situational players. Comments!

Posted by: gregskins | November 18, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I am more discouraged by our line not adjusting to overloads caused by defensive line stunts. It started with the Stillers, the Boys are so smart they incorporated it, in the 2 weeks off they had. We will see this a lot more in this copycat league. We had 2 weeks to make changes & overall our “O” seemed to stand pat on our approach & play calling. At times Sunday dallas seemed like they new our play (especially on running plays) they were right in the supposed whole, in numbers. This was the 1st time this year where it looked we got “out coached” on both sides of the ball.

Posted by: mdepo | November 18, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Campbell had made great improvements. Our record is a credit to his decision-making. He is in the process of going from very-good to great. It's those great players that will be careful and take control of the game in the 4th Q.

He's done these things when: a) We rely on CP and the running game, b) he's been given enough protection to make plays.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Heath Schuler would have more touchdown passes right now.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 18, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Was there any effort to draw the dallas DL off sides?

It seems like they might have bitten on a few hard counts.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 1:34 PM"

They did jump offsides multiple times.

Now how many of those were called by the refs is a different story.

Seriously I saw two very obvious off-sides (can't remember the exact plays, just remember counting in my head) and 1 pretty obvious false start on the Cowgirls.

Not blaming the game on the refs, we didn't deserve to win, but that sucks.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Poolman...I'm black so I can say that.

Posted by: brownwood26

LMGO! You know that is so wrong.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 18, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

just throw the damn ball jc!!! that ball he threw to moss was perfectly thrown and i haven't seen many qb's make that purty throw...AND moss was covered...so why not throw those passes at least 2 or 3 times a game? not just call them but actually throw them??

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

check out cooley's blog. Someone sent him a 'boohoo box'.....somewhere, boofer is sitting in his own filth, smiling...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

By the by, if you go on the skins bloggers site, his comments section on the last thread have peeps calling for Colt Brennan.

Seriously, people need to get a grip. You think with the lack of protection and lack of running game will be aided by a less athletic QB???

Puhleeze...

The boys made us one dimensional as did the steelers, and we had to pass pro from that point which failed.

Without a healthy CP, this team is nothing.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 18, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

for those who don't believe jc is not a franchise qb...i present you with exhibit a: shEli manning!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Update on Portass please?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

How much you want to bet he is the one who emails vinny's radio show every week, saying that we need to toss JC? I just don't buy that there would be many people who are still in the cult of colt.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_1

(b) is correct. (a) is not. Campbell has done things when Zorn has put the ball in his hands and opened the field to Campbell. Vs. New Orleans, vs Arizona, at Dallas, at Detroit, all these games were won via Campbell's arm. Zorn opened the field up early in those games, and let Campbell move the ball down the field. Lately, Zorn has just let Campbell throw those quick outs, quick screens, short slants, and dump-offs. That is not going to get it done on a team with 2 reliable receiving options, and 1 other serviceable one. Zorn needs to take a look at how he changed from week 1 to week 2, and reapply that now.

Portis benefits from Campbell. Until Zorn opens up the offense and starts threatening deep again, Portis will not get going on the ground. The plays don't even have to be completed, just threatened. One deep shot a game will not get it done.

Posted by: psps23 | November 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm a lot more comfortable with J.C. as the now and future QB of the team than I was last year.

Obviously, the offensive line is a big concern.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 18, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Early on, lots of people didn't think that Mark Rypien had what it takes, even though he had The Hogs blocking for him and Monk, Clark & Sanders as WRs. There were even people who believed that Stan Humphries (the ORIGINAL Colt Brennan) should be the starting QB. Yet when Rypien finally figured it all out, the Redskins went 14-2 and then won the Super Bowl in the 1991 season.

Jason Campbell doesn't have The Hogs, and he doesn't have Monk, Clark & Sanders. Yet people complain about Jason "only" being a game manager as he continues to learn and improve?

It took Rypien four seasons to get to the Super Bowl with Hall of Fame helpers. Jason Campbell deserves at least as much time and patience, given the talent he has to work with.

Posted by: tafka | November 18, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

going to Colt or Collins would to say that you're giving up on the season. me personally, I'd rather see Colt in there rather than Collins, IF they were to make a switch--which I don't think is necessary at this time.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

the redskins and their fans are the best. please accept this "hip hip hooray box" as a token of my affection.

posted by: not boofer/ November 18, 2008

Posted by: notguy | November 18, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Unregular Truth, I'm not a hater, I just wondered whether they had a team.

HI HATER-CALLER

Also, did anyone ever explain why the punted ball wasn't dead when Rock pushed it away and it left his hands?

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 18, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how anyone can say he's going from very good to great. I'm not arguing semantics here but I can think of one play all year that I think was "great". That is where he dipped his shoulder and hit Moss down the sideline two three games back. He's efficient and careful. Not two words I associate with great.

I know I'll get blasted for being critical here but whatever. He's still the best prospect we've had at QB that I can remember in over 15 years and I love him as a player and person but he's been hyped to be something he's not yet. He's a better-than-average QB at this point to me. But hey my football IQ is 0.0.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

JC;You need to just play and stop worrying about the fans you're doing just fine young man a little better line play and some common sense draft day decesions by your GM and you would be the odds on favorite for MVP in the league, hopefully your O line will step up and the wonder twins(Kelly&Thomas) will help, out we're behind you a hundred and ten percent Jason!!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 18, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The explanation given is that the play is not over till the ref says its over.

I don't like it either.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: tafka | November 18, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you all know how I ramble on and on about us needing year round football in DC and stuff. Dan finally covered something I mentioned on this blog, his blog and in random chats and stuff.

_indoor_football_team.html

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Poolman is just mad because during the off season he was calling to trading 6-7 stars from the roster, it did not happen and now the team is doing well with a bunch of the guys he wanted to trade having pro-bowl years, except maybe Springs. So now he is doing this weird racist thing.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes the skins are moving the ball between the 20 yard lines but will stall in the Red zone. It's almost like once they get close to the end zone, Zorn flips over his play chart the has G.C.P.C. at the top of the page which stands for....
Gibbs Conservative Play Calling"

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

No More Red Pants!!!

Red Pants: 0-3
White Pants: 6-1

You can look it up. I don't believe I'm the first to notice this, but I don't sit around reading this board all day.

Who do we have to petition to get white pants the rest of the season? It's urgent.

And I don't think there are any league rules about it-- the jerseys are the only thing that's the choice of the home team.

Posted by: KAR18 | November 18, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

After reading some posts I cannot believe people would call for Colt Brennan to take the rings??? Are you guys stupid or what? JC IS A FRANCHISE QB. For anyone to think otherwise is just plain ignorant AND it shows you have no idea what you are talking about. Our offensive line sucks, ARE is the most overrated slot receiver/punt returner in the league and we wasted a draft pick on Fred Davis when Chris Cooley is one of the best tight ends in football.
My point is, Jason Campbell is an asset to the Redskins. You really think Colt Brennan would be a franchise QB? Ridiculous man, no wonder Fedex gets overrun with visiting team fans, our fans are so dumb they probably don't even know how to tie their own shoes. Colt Brennan over Jason Campbell, what a joke!

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | November 18, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

In concordance with my previous statement, I didn't want to sound like I was hating on Colt, it's just...he's not as good as Jason Campbell.
Peace McGease.