Campbell Rates Thomas' Progress

From Jason Reid

Rookie wide receiver Devin Thomas took a big step forward in Sunday's 24-17 victory over the Arizona Cardinals, Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell said yesterday.

Although Thomas only had one reception for seven yards, "he was in there competing," Campbell said. "I feel like he was kind of getting a grasp of the NFL, getting a grasp of what it's like running routes against corners in this league. He was a lot better, so that's good to see."

Thomas - the Redskins' top draft pick - has struggled running routes and learning the playbook. Coach Jim Zorn was critical of Thomas and fellow rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly for their poor conditioning at the beginning of training camp, and veteran wide receivers Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El have encouraged Thomas to improve his study habits.

With Kelly inactive against Arizona after injuring his ankle and veteran wide receiver James Thrash recovering from a high-ankle sprain, the Redskins "really tried to get Devin the ball," Campbell said. "We tried to get at least five balls to him."

Thomas twice was called for offensive pass interference while battling Arizona's cornerbacks for deep balls along the sidelines, and what would have been his first touchdown reception was nullified by a penalty on right tackle Stephon Heyer. "He also ran a wrong route once, which was just a rookie mistake, but you definitely saw some good things from him," Campbell said. "We've been bringing him along, working with him and trying to get him ready, because we're definitely going to need him."

Avoiding pass-interference penalties has been added to Thomas's long to-do list, he said. "It's just a situation where I've got to be relaxed," Thomas said. "When you've got the ball coming and you've got somebody near you, you just want to push 'em and get 'em out the way. It might help [me to] not really do nothing until the ball is right there, then just explode to the ball and throw the defensive player off."

In college at Michigan State, "a lot of the corners, a lot of times, weren't that close to me," Thomas said. "I was able to get away without having too much contact. When I've got somebody up on me, I'm so aggressive I tend to use my hands.

"I know it's something I have to stop, but this isn't something I can really learn from watching the veteran guys. 'Tana [Santana Moss], he doesn't have to do that. 'Tana's so quick, he just uses his feet to go by guys. It's something I'm going to work on" in the offseason.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 23, 2008; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Spells West Coast with an "I"
Next: Is Roster Move in the Works?

Comments

+++his is the man/woman we need to hear from.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:20 PM

-----------------

Could it be any more obvious that this was written by a Redskins employee? I mean, seriously.

Posted by: Choowee | September 23, 2008 12:37 PM++++

Yeah choowee... on the nose...

It appears The 'skins have employed Karl Rove as their media Advisor.

The ROVE WAY

1. Tell an outrageous lie.
2. Repeat the SAME outrageous lie about a million times.
3. Wait for the rubes to accept the formerly outrageous lie as fact.

Laugh if you will, it decided the last two Presidential elections...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I think Thomas will be fine in due time

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

its good to see the team get better each week!

Posted by: bull | September 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will | September 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Good news, very good to hear.

I think/hope that by the middle of the year he's a viable weapon for the offense.

Posted by: Greg | September 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The ROVE WAY

1. Tell an outrageous lie.
2. Repeat the SAME outrageous lie about a million times.
3. Wait for the rubes to accept the formerly outrageous lie as fact.

Laugh if you will, it decided the last two Presidential elections...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:43 PM

So very true this is

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

JLC should be FIRED!

Posted by: FIREJLC | September 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

go skins

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

+++his is the man/woman we need to hear from.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:20 PM

-----------------

Posted by: Choowee | September 23, 2008 12:37 PM++++

Yeah choowee... on the nose...

It appears The 'skins have employed Karl Rove as their media Advisor.

The ROVE WAY

1. Tell an outrageous lie.
2. Repeat the SAME outrageous lie about a million times.
3. Wait for the rubes to accept the formerly outrageous lie as fact.

Laugh if you will, it decided the last two Presidential elections...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:41 PM

Cork I believe that was Joseph Goebbels actually.

Posted by: Skinz | September 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The ROVE WAY

1. Tell an outrageous lie.
2. Repeat the SAME outrageous lie about a million times.
3. Wait for the rubes to accept the formerly outrageous lie as fact.

Laugh if you will, it decided the last two Presidential elections...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:43 PM

That's the Goebbels' Way.

Posted by: A. Hitler | September 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I am pleased to see that JLC is not criticizing Thomas. He did make a few mistakes, but he plays hard on special teams, we saw him get wide open atleast twice during the past game. I think he works hard, unlike the receiver we had before.

He also has taken all the criticism in stride.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

+++So where are all of JLC's usual pole smokers, anyway? Taking the day off? Or is it hard to defend someone who has angered a significant number of readers with baseless "hunches?"

Posted by: Forget it, JLC | September 23, 2008 11:03 AM++++

Just when you think no one is paying attention, you get a post like this. Now all those Redskin Park Anon's have read the FO memo encouraging them to make up Screen names when they attack a Free Press and anyone who dares practice it.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

You're morons.

Posted by: GHF | September 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

WORK FOR THE REDSKINS!!!

We're hiring here if anyone wants a job. Mininum wage. Looking for creative writers willing to follow directions. Experience with posting on blogs a must.

Please contact HR@redskins.com for more information.

Posted by: Redskins HR Dep. | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Evidently the legions of Redskin Park employees assigned to monitor RI and attack JLA and praise the Moony paper every day weren't getting the job done.

Gentlemen--your turn.

And to clarify. JLA is far from flawless. But that's the price you pay for a free press. Good for him and the Post for standing up to petty tyrants trying to restrict the free flow of information.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:34 PM

Cork,

How did you figure it out, Danny pays us to come on here and defend the Skins, it has nothing to do with the fact that we our fans, and do not like to see people like JLC and you put the team down every second of the day.

How much is JLC paying you or is he doing something else for you in between post's.

Posted by: Flounder | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Cork, you're better than that, let it go...can't we just talk football.

you dredging up stuff from the previous post just gives the rest of us headaches....

Posted by: Greg | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

T.O Was on a radio show in Jersey today and said that he felt he played a Big role in last nights win. He said he knew he wouldn't get many looks because of being triple teamed and tried to be effective in other ways. He wanted to be there to block and lead the way for his teammates to score. He said he is so proud of Miles and it has been an honor for him to watch him grow into the receiver he was last night.
He also said as proud as he was of Miles next week he plans on duplicating last years Redskin game. He said he will be disappointed with 3 TD's... He said he is going to train all week even by himself and with the team and that double and triple coverage will not stop him. He said that Jason has some wrinkles that will help T.O shed those extra defenders if Washington takes the same approach GreeBay did.
The jocky asked him what he thought of washington's secondary and he yelled out "I WANT SPRINGS!"
Oh yea and they asked him if he was upset last night and T.O said yea of course I was upset! Upset with my self. I knew I wouldn't have many chances and the ones I did get I felt like I blew them. I apologized to Tony and the team and told them I would make up for it next week.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah he sure is competing. 2 pass interference calls, on dropped ball, one catch for 7 yards, but his end zone dance rocked. Too bad he didn't actually score the touchdown. Now that he has been there once, even though it didn't count, maybe he will act like it if he gets there again? Of course in this day and age maybe thats exactly what he was doing.....

Posted by: DB | September 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, yes, I'm here to attack a free press and imitate Goebbels and Rove in an effort to destroy the mighty JLC!

Who knew that tubby dork had so many little bootlicking troll followers on here?

We must defeat him!

Posted by: Redskins Employee | September 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:49 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's something ELSE to worry about besides the fact Vinnie is wasting time he should spend running the team attacking the Media just like DUH RAIDERS classy FO.

All those Redskin employees assigned to attack JLC and those who stand up for him are taking time away from vital tasks like breaking down tape, scouting other teams and evaluating college prospects.

Sure, call me paranoid, but maybe if someone had looked into the fact Jason Taylor was old and had sore feet or that Erasmus Jams was ALWAYS hurt, they'd have obtained players to help the defense, not hurt it.

The only Redskin employees I'm SURE aren't busy attacking the Free Press are those assigned to unearthing low round gems like Horton...

Oh Dang, I hope I didnt' give Vinnie any more ideas....

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

nevermind, just keep beating that horse...some people just don't get it....

Posted by: Greg | September 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar = Jasno's butt-boy.

Posted by: Ren & Stimpy | September 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

and if that pass got picked, which almost happened, I'm thinking the comment might not as nice

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

That's right! Everyone chug the Kool-Aid, and free bagels in Vinny's office, since Vinny doesn't use it much.

Posted by: D. Snyder | September 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

beep beep means new thread

Posted by: dcsween | September 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

WHo is the Wizard? I was watching one of the Redskins shows last night and he said someone who covers the team called the league office to try to report the team for some kind of tampering or something. he identified the reporter as "the wizard". if this is true, whoever it is should be banned from Redskins Park, Fedex for games, have their press pass revoked etc. This is just low down, especially when whatever they were trying to tattle with was not even anywhere near the definition of tampering.

Posted by: DB | September 23, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

+++Cork I believe that was Joseph Goebbels actually.

Posted by: Skinz | September 23, 2008 12:47 PM+++

I think Mr. Rove briefly held the Joseph Goebbels Chair when in college.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Corkfag,

Be careful not to get any of that jelly donut on your Tony Romo jersey.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Busted!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Cork, you're better than that, let it go...can't we just talk football.

Posted by: Greg | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM

Actually, Greg, he's not. Anyone familiar with the comments section of this blog knows that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

+++Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 12:34 PM

Cork,

Posted by: Flounder | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM+++

Flounder I admire your passion and support of the team we BOTH root for. Dunno about you, but I've been a Redskin fan since back when you were just a a string of Roe in the Ocean. I actually remember days of BRILLIANT GMs and SUPERBOWL wins...and good drafts and GREAT trades.

I spent many a wondeful Sunday at RFK with my Father. They are among my greatest memories. I've been away from DC for more than two decades and remain as dedicated Redskin fan as I ever was.

I'm also as big a Patriot as I ever was.

But flounder, this country was founded on dissent, dissent protected by the constitution and especially the first Amendment.

If Snyder and Cerrato were just merely bad management, that would be one thing. But unfortunately, rather than try to improve the team, they have chosen to be ever more secretive and attack those who criticize them.

Example: You ever LOOK at Jason reed videos?

Why do you think they look so bad. Because Snyder wont' let him set up in a ministudio at Redskins Park.

Now Cerrato, who should be above the fray and show some class, uses HIS bully pulpit to get down in the mud and sling it out with a reporter.

If you wish to be naive and mislead, fine--that's your perogative. But not all of us are that gullible. It's possible that with time and experience, you'll gain wisdom. (It's even possible that snyder/cerrato will).

One last thing. If you think Jasno is PAYING me, boy, you understand the Media even less than I thought possible.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 23, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is garbage.

Dude couldn't GM a madden franchise to a superbowl.

Cerrato craves an@l.

Posted by: CCerratosNutz | September 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Hello Alex and Hello Flounder,

Someone else is posting as me sending you guys on a wild goose chase, sorry.

He / she obviously could not stand to see the inconsistency to which I was pointing out on the blog regarding "tolerance".

The posts at 11:45 and 11:53 were by an impostor.

And yes, Flounder and Alex you are both correct. All crimes are not treated equally. It is dependent upon the severity of how one has broken the law.

As humanity, we have within us the ability to reason that though speeding and murder are both morally wrong, they should not be judged with the same severity of punishment.

The impostor reveals he has no weight in his "tolerance" rhetoric, so he resorts to posing as me to hide behind his empty position.... sorry he sent you on a wild goose chase.

Here is a question, how come he called me a phony, yet it is he himself who performs dishonest acts on the blog?

So he is the actual phony, the actual hypocrite. Because a hypocrite applies one standard to others, and does not apply that same standard to himself.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 23, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey man, I was just talkin to Notorious LMG and we boff be agreein that this bickerin need to stop!! We be playin Dallas on Sunday - Can't we all just get along???

Posted by: Rodney King | September 23, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see him work on it this week.

Posted by: laxbigj | September 23, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

You guys like to throw around Rove like he was Goebbels, but you probably believe some of the same stupid canards from the left - "There was no WMD", "Bush lied", and the whole "9/11 truther movement".

I appreciate the irony. Sports fans through sports talk radio, ESPN, etc. removed the shame of looking stupid at making broad, idiotic, and overblown suggestions/rants, so it could pervade our political discussions - where no topic is so serious that some clown with no expertise/experience/etc. feels even a bit self-conscious pontificating on.

And then I am pointing it out on a sports forum that is legendary for the same! I love the internet.

Posted by: Clowns | September 23, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse