Campbell Says He's Ready for Next Step

From Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora in New Jersey:

Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell believes this is his time. After his first full season as a starter was cut short because of a knee injury, Campbell looked toward the 2008 season with anticipation.

He plans to be more vocal in his leadership and hopes to establish himself as one of the league's elite quarterbacks, attempting to take a major step in his development under rookie head coach Jim Zorn. The Redskins kick off the NFL's schedule tonight in a nationally televised game against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium, and Campbell said he is ready to take charge.

"I'm going to take the bull by the horns. I'm going to be more of a leader this year," he said. "I'm going to try to hold more people accountable and hold myself more accountable. I want to do everything I can to help us get to that championship level."

In part because of poor pass protection, Campbell struggled in the Redskins' final two preseason games, completing seven of 14 passes for 42 yards. Overall in the preseason, Campbell completed 59 percent of his passes for 202 yards with one touchdown and one interception. He had a 70.7 passer rating.

In hopes of providing Campbell with better protection, Zorn this week demoted longtime starting right tackle Jon Jansen, who had struggled in pass blocking, and promoted second-year tackle Stephon Heyer to the first team.

Jansen's demotion was another example that "in this league, you never know what's going to happen," Campbell said. "As a young quarterback, you always have to be ready at all times, and you learn early on that there are no guarantees. You have to go out there and try to play relentless, and that's going to be my mind-set for the whole season.
"I'm not going to put any pressure on myself because there's already enough pressure as it is. You know you're going to get blamed for stuff when its not your fault, and you're going to get too much credit when you shouldn't, but that's just part of it. I'm just going to out there, play loose and have fun."

For the most part, Zorn was pleased with Campbell's approach in practice this week. "I just want him to continually push his tempo," Zorn said. "The decision-making and his tempo. That's the thing."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 4, 2008; 5:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs Out; Taylor May Play (Updated)
Next: Inactives

Comments

COLT!

Posted by: Bryan | September 4, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

six guys ... not one picks the Skins, even for a wild card slot.

only other teams not picked for anything by anyone in NFC were:
Zona, SF, STL, Bears and ATL

Is this the company we are keeping these days?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

COLT!

Posted by: Bryan | September 4, 2008 5:56 PM

hop of of colt brennan PLEASEEEEEE!
can we just support our qb for ONE SECOND????????

Posted by: reggg | September 4, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

only other teams not picked for anything by anyone in NFC were:
Zona, SF, STL, Bears and ATL

Is this the company we are keeping these days?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 4, 2008 5:58 PM
-----------------------------
I for one think we are better than all of those teams. But they failed to ask me.

Posted by: splitbill | September 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Skippy's Pre-game Redskin Speech

Skippy Gzitzman has been given the rare honor of presenting a locker room motivational speech to the Washington Redskins before their opening game against the Superbowl Champion New York Giants. The following is a transcript of that speech. The original is on display at the Smithsonian.

Dearly Beloved,

Hi, my name is Skippy and I have a mental plate in my head. I live with Mama, the twins of my dead sister and my cat, Mr. Whiskers IV, in a FEMA doublewide down from Floyd the Truck Drivin’ Man and his Peterbilt. I really really like Lemon Meringue pie.

Skippy have been asked by Head Coach-for-Now Zim Jorn to give this Motivationary Speak to you Redskims before tonight’s game.

If you're nervous, just keep in mind the guys in the other locker room put on your pants the same way you do, only first they grease ‘em up with Crisco and KY Jelly.

Don't forget, that tonight is the day you take the bull by the shorts, strap him up, and face the music with your ear to the grimestone. Play them “One Day at a Time” although Skippy prefers “The Golden Girls,” 10 PM weeknights on TBS.

In the immoral words of that genius, Norman Einstein, never have so many done so much for so few and vice versa. Rumyard Kipling once wroted in his poem, Want some Candy, Kid?--“If you can get some head when all about you are losing theirs, congratulations, you may already be a winner.”

Today’s contest is not the end of the beginning, nor the beginning of the end. It is merely the beginning of the end of the beginning of the end, unless it rains.

Remberith thith: If a man gains the world but loseth his immoral soles, what doth it profit him in the end, unless he be jellin’?

Don’t think just because they won the Super Bowl that Giants don’t play football. Bowling is a lot like football except it’s played indoors, and it has alleys and bigger balls. Speaking of bigger balls, as the late Coach Vince Lumbago once said earlier, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight that counts, but enough about Michael Vick.”

But seriously, folks, this is what we practice for, except the guys who were cut, who practiced for little more than whatever tape they could filch.

In closing, don’t forget to tip your towel boy, tighten your jocks and clocks, and remember, win or lose, someone will emerge victorious. And it is Skippy’s firm hose that the Redskims will be the winners tonight. If not, at least make sure the Giants don’t cover. Now get out there and win one for the Giffords.

Finally, if I can leave you with but one thought, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised.

Posted by: Skippy | September 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Skins Inactive list:

Shawn Springs, Kareem Moore, Malcolm Kelly, Chad Rinehart, Fred Davis, Rob Jackson, Alfred Fincher, and Colt Brennan is the third quarterback.

Posted by: Siris | September 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

This is it folks, not long before kickoff!

Last night Talent Evaluator was claiming that everyone is fighting for second place, as he has the greatest football smarts of all RI! Join and and show him what for!!!

You are invited to join my NFL 2008/09 Tipping Competition at http://www.OzTips.com

===================================================================
Comp Name: RI Tipping Comp!
Comp #: 151708
Comp Password: Redskins
===================================================================

To join:

1) Go to http://www.oztips.com/

2) Click the 'REGISTER' button on the homepage and set-up a Login (if you don't already have one with OzTips).

3) Once you have successfully registered a Username and Password, click the 'JOIN A COMP' button.

4) Enter the Comp # and Comp Password details above.

5) That's it! Full instructions on how to Tip can be found on the website by clicking on the 'Help' link in the top header.

Posted by: kost52 | September 4, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Skippy, thanks for that speech! And the lasting thought you left us!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 4, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Hail Sippy,
Cept I buy Peter PRam.

phlewwwp!

Posted by: stumped | September 4, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Springs is such a Pus**..Kicked in the leg. Gimmie a break...Give me 7 million and break my nose ..I'll freaking play

Posted by: oc skins | September 4, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, nobody brings the motivation like Skippy.

Posted by: Cindy | September 4, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

beep beep
gonna be a beepalicious night.

Posted by: Cindy | September 4, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse