Campbell-to-Cooley Is Only Offensive TD

Tight end Chris Cooley scored the Redskins' only offensive touchdown on a 17-yard pass from Jason Campbell with 90 seconds remaining in the game. Though the play did little more than change the final score, it is somewhat significant because Cooley scored only one touchdown a year ago, and that came on a pass from receiver Antwaan Randle El.

"I think it was a good hook-up between Jason and I," Cooley said. "We noticed what coverage they were playing on that drive, and that the middle of the field was open. We felt like we were going to get that play at some point during that drive."

()()()

DeAngelo Hall rates his performance: "I feel like the guy that just couldn't make a play to save my life," he said. Steinberg has the news over at the Bog.

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 13, 2009; 9:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tell Us About It
Next: Fake FG Is the Spark Redskins Needed

Comments

first to say dhall played the way he's played his whole career. beat like a drum and zero tackling all day, and then one timely interception. too bad we couldn't capitalize

Posted by: goose33 | September 13, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

nope

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 13, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

______________

Why not try and figure out the coverage on some of the other plays. This loss was on the O and play calling. The ginas were not going to let us run, yet we refused to beat them with the pass.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 13, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

All that TD did was pad JC's stats... The Gints were playing soft and just wanted the ball back to run the clock down.. Thats why the middle of the field was open..
Why even bring it up??
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Campbell-to-Cooley Is Only Offensive TD

()()()

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 13, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad that we only play the Giants twice this year. They're going to make a lot of teams look bad. I also remember that we lost last year's opening game to them and were 6-2 at the half-way mark. The next few weeks will be better.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 9:17 PM

True T_E, but this game was winnable today but for playcalling and QB play IMO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 13, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to chill ! You guy's have said every in the book about JC short of him being illiterate. Remember it's just a game !

Posted by: mikeshanahanenjoyedthegame | September 13, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

In spite of the INT drop early on, Rogers didn't get beat today.

Posted by: ellinwoods | September 13, 2009 9:20 PM

Just proved you did not watch the same game I did.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 13, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about a meaningless garbage time TD?

Posted by: saqster | September 13, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

That drive shouldn't even count in the stat book.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 13, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

That drive shouldn't even count in the stat book.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 13, 2009

True, the Giants pretty much controlled this game ... all phases from Portis 34 yard run on.

Posted by: periculum | September 13, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

R. Wynn said that the Giants always expect to beat the redskins....Deon sanders has said that the cowboys always expected to beat the redskins...The redskins always find ways to beat themselves either with piss poor play calling...turnovers or subpar quarterback play...same old same old....

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 13, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

SIGN JEFF GARCIA!!!!!! At least he knows the west coast offense. I am sick and tired of this crap. Jason Campbell sucks. He has been a "project" the whole time he has been here. He sucks. He sucks.

Posted by: HogInCharlotte | September 13, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

True T_E, but this game was winnable today but for playcalling and QB play IMO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 13, 2009 9:20 PM

Who called the fake FG? That wasn't such a bad call and that was what made it winnable. But, yeah, if Zorn doesn't get better he won't be here next year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Hurray, a meaningless TD. Had we had TO's left or not wasted another min of clock accepting that meaningless holding call it may have mattered. But, we deserved to lose.

There are losses and then there are losses. This is the kind of loss that can lead to a long season. The QB is lost and scared. The head coach could be on his way to losing the team and his QB etc etc.... It was that bad. Don't forget we're talking about a Giants team with a decimated secondary that we refused to test and a second rate at best receiving corp that shredded our secondary. Good teams hide their own weaknesses and expose the other teams weaknesses. Guess who the good team was this game? I suspect this is going to happen about 10 more times this year. Time to start finding a backup team to root for bc this team might soon be unwatchable - Vikings?. The O line played about as well as it can against the Giant's D and they are going to get worse like last season.

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 13, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

jason campbell does suck indeed and d'angelo hall was a colossal mistake.OMG he got beat and doesn't tackle yet paid to do jsut the opposite. we r lookin at 6--10 at best this year....0--6 in nfc east and no o-line prospects getting reps this year.....next 2--3 years will be the same.....need a real GM and an in the background owner or tis will never change.....ever.never ever...

Posted by: tabtool | September 13, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I read all these posts and laugh. I have coached exactly zero games in the NFL. I have played quarterback exactly zero games at any level! Everyone is leaning so hard on the armchair, it is broken after one game. Ease up. . .and please don't be fickle enough to come back and post all kinds of flowery compliments when the Skins are 3 and 1 in a few weeks. Stay with your bench JC and fire Zorn philosophy and go support another team!

P.S. After one quarter. . .Jay Cutler is 4 of 11 for 33 yards and 1 interception and should have 2 INT's but Green Bay DB's can't catch a cold! I know, I know, it's only one quarter. . .practice what you preach, morons!

Posted by: mjames1 | September 13, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, focusing on the upside today...

Wasn't it nice to see some players who give it everything they have? I didn't see many today, but London Fletcher was a stud. In spite of the INT drop early on, Rogers didn't get beat today. Randle El shouldn't be on the field as a #2 WR, but he did make some nice plays today. And we gotta give it up for Hunter Smith!

Posted by: ellinwoods | September 13, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Well Said Mjames1 and ellinwoods, some of these people need to refocus and get on track with actually "Supporting" our team. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 13, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

PSP23, I will also link to the article beantown linked to earlier. Keep in mind that this is from Redskins.com.

You can even say that the difference in this game was the 7 points the the offense (read JC) gave up. Without this TO, Skins win (although it's not that black and white, but it's a stat that argues against JC).

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 13, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Cutler's had three interceptions and the first half isn't over.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

This was a horrible coaching job, period. no way to sugar coat it. I think Zorn is either thinking too much or not enough, I don't know. Maybe he should just watch Steelers or Eagles (or any other team) playcalling for a few seasons and just call normal plays. JC didn't have a throw until our 3rd drive I believe. What the hell? Portis gets a nice run on the first play of the season. Either keep running until they stop it or call a normal pass play.WTF?

JC is either as incompetent as he looks or he's being coached to death, I don't know.

I feel stupid for all the positive comments I made through the preseason. A team can have minor weaknesses and still overcome them, like weak secondary, or medium receivers.

But you cannot win with mediocre QB AND COACH. I don't think so. I just hope our good players don't regress to the level of the leadership

Bench JC if he sucks vs RAMS. Bench the coach if he cannot call plays by Detroit game

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 13, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey fools, got some news for you. Campbell has been on the Skins for 5 years and shown nothing. Cutler has been on the Bears for a half with a career far ahead of JC's at this point. So, I don't get the point.

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 13, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about a meaningless garbage time TD?

Posted by: saqster | September 13, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

My fantasy team was very much obliged for it, seeing as how it knocked 6 points off the D/ST score for my oponent. A win is a win, right?

Wait...

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | September 13, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, I'm not saying Campbell played well. He didn't. Those two mistakes were bad.

But people really need to get it in perspective. This wasn't just on Campbell.

Campbell hit 73% of his passes. He had an 8.1 YPA. People are talking as if they're expecting Campbell to hit 80% of his passes, never take a sack, never turn the ball over, hit all 5 of his receivers for multiple receptions, throw multiple touchdowns per game, and essentially play absolutely perfect for this team to win. That's not the case.

The ball moved through the air, when it was asked of them. This loss goes far beyond the issues Campbell had with the strip/sck and INT.

Posted by: psps23 | September 13, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

There was this article about Zorn working til 9 pm everyday. What does he do? Do they actually think about what plays to call against the upcoming team? Or do they devise plans not to lose a game. After the first series and the super stupid play calling and execution, there was no evidence of confident coaching. I think at some point an honest coach should tell the QB "listen I have no clue what to call, just go out and play" maybe just throw on every down, I don't know. If I am the owner of this team, and my team is in this much disarray on game one, I want explanation.

I am not just saying it because Redskins lost. Many good teams lose. It is just the disarray and lack of preparation that is wrong. Redskins could go head to head and lose a fumble here, or int there or whatever while the overall team plays like they were coached for a game

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 13, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

People are making this out to be a disastrous loss. What did you think was going to happen? Did you need Campbell to throw for 400 yards and 4 tds? Clinton rush for 150 yards. Put 35 pts up in NY. Wow. A lot of the stats are similar and we lost 23-17. That's honestly what I thought would happen. This is a long season with a lot of teams we can improve on before the schedule gets tougher.

Posted by: citadelskins | September 13, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what we can do now, but it is a shame that the quarterback is going to bring the whole team down. I thought the defense played well overall. It is the offense's job to keep them off the field so they can rest and put up some points. They didn't do either of these. SIGN JEFF GARCIA!!!!!!

Posted by: HogInCharlotte | September 13, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

If Campbell is truly Zorn's 'guy', then put the damn thing on his shoulders and either sink or swim with him.
After that great Portis run, you ball-fake and go deep down the middle, not some stupid end around pass madness.

Next game, I expect them to come out gunning in true West Coast fashion; I don't care if Portis pouts, either he rolls with the game plan or not. All those damn receivers we have should be running all over the fracking field causing havoc for other defenses. Put the pressure on them.

I pray JC goes into the Zorn's office and says, " either let me sling it or get someone else to."

I thought we had press-cover corners? If DHall doesn't step it up, the boos he hears next week will be deafening.

The ultimate difference between the 'Skins and Giants is preparation, continuity, and ownership. Recall Coughlin was on a very hot seat the year they won the SB; Eli was on the verge of being run out of town. In fact, if they lose that Redskin game that the 'Skins gave away, Coughlin probably gets fired at the end of that year.

If the 'Skins are anything less than 3 and 1 after their 1st 4 games, it's time to worry.

Posted by: pdfordiii | September 13, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

This is a disastrous loss. Isn't it clear that this team is getting progressively worse? The coach let THE PLAYERS decide how training camp should run. 4-12 to 6-10 at best. I saw this coming before today, but I'm surprised by how quickly the team is collapsing.

Posted by: djm4christ | September 13, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HogInCharlotte | September 13, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA...THE SAME JEFF GARCIA WHO IS PUSHING 40 HARD AND JUST GOT CUT BY THE RAIDERS? LOLOLOL YOU'RE AN IDIOT AND YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO OWN A COMPUTER! JACKA$$!

Posted by: tejr3575 | September 13, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Folks blaming this loss on Campbell should look and see the plays he was asked to execute. Garbage. You don't find an opening on the left side of the line for 36 yards, then run a gadget play roll out to the right on the next play. ???

You run that Randle El play when the defense is OVERCOMMITTING to the run. I think it was pretty clear they were undercommitted to the run if Portis got 36 yards. Yes, Randle El bumbled the play, but it should never have been called. Zorn is picking plays out of a cracker jack box. Guaranteed.

Sorry, but to put this ALL on the Campbell's shoulders is just blind. There was too much wrong with the team, too many mistakes, offense, defense & special teams.

When your QB gets the same numbers as your opponents QB - with a lot less time in the pocket - that's a sign of a bigger issue than a bad QB. Time in the pocket is the offensive line. Play calling is a bad HEAD COACH. As well as team wide poor attitude and execution.

Jason Campbell doesn't play D. And our corners may as well be doobies at a Bob Marley reunion. In 36 minutes of Giants time of possession, we got to Eli twice. I heard a Giants offensive lineman say "What D-Line?". Our defense didn't break, but that was just as much the Giants red zone problems cropping up from last year as it was our "lock down of the red zone".

I live in NY and watched the local Giants Game day show today. All they talked about was the Giants inability to get points in the red zone, and would they over come it this year. We were a flop. A flop that STARTS at the TOP.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 13, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't put all the team's problems on Campbell. The play calling is very questionable, and the team is lacking the intensity demonstrated under Gibbs. There is little to no team depth to speak of. Quite simply, this is not a very good team. Remember, Zorn was never a head coach before Washington hired him. He wasn't even an offensive coordinator. No one else showed interest in hiring him as a head coach.

Zorn seems like the type of man I'd like to sit down with and have a cup of coffee with about spiritual matters. But running a football team is an entirely different thing altogether. I just hope the skins can turn it around.

Posted by: djm4christ | September 13, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Well said djm4christ. Campbell isn't perfect, and as one of his biggest supporters, I can say that was pretty evident today. His circumstances are far from ideal though.

Zorn is not HC material. The o-line completely whiffed on blocks. He had an average of 2-3 less seconds in the pocket than Eli, and put up similar numbers. The DHall interception was one play where Eli was pressured. Campbell saw that level of pressure every other play.

Folks are only looking at the qb, and not the situation he's in. I don't think you can accurately gauge a qb's ability without looking at the situation around him.

Our team is completely dysfunctional. Recruiting to coaching to the players themselves. All of them.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 13, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

This loss is on the coach Jim Zorn! JC ran the plays that were called. Bill Walsh "WestCoast" guru said he built his offense around each of his QB's strengths and he said coaches now want to have their players/QBs to fit in their system. He said that was lazy coaching and the reason QBs like Charlie Ward went undrafted. Put JC in the position to PASS, stop running reverses and other gadget plays. PASS often I GUARANTEE he won't throw 3 first half INTs!! Time to put the jumper cables on the Coaches and get this thing in gear starting with the RAMS!

Posted by: Skins21-4everSmashmouth | September 13, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Hello new coaching staff and new QB probably Bill Cowher, depending on how well Sanchez looks in New York this year we may go the same route as Atlanta and Baltimore last season and the Lions and Jets this season and bring in a guy like Sam Bradford or my pick Colt McCoy who is a more natural West Coast QB than JC17, look for Portis deal to be reworked this off season and for him to maybe traded or out right released if and when a new regime comes in because what type of back would u call CP he's not the pure speedster he was in Denver and he doesn't have that Marion Barber type power. All I can say is if this keeps up here we come 1st overall pick and good game London Fletcher. Why doesn't Zorn go out and find someone who can actually call plays for the west coast offense and is it me or does anybody else miss Gregg Williams attacking style defense. Last and final words Blache and Zorn aren't cut for their current positions both were better as position coaches, Campbell can't process this offense and Hall couldn't cover his shadow in a closet. And for God Sake's go out and find players who can help us now like Langston Walker, Kwame Harris, Chris Mcalister ( yeah he's an upgrade over D.Hall) and why not keep Antonio Dixon over Anthony Montgomery especially if he's inactive???

Posted by: robbkels | September 14, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I didn't actually think JC played that badly. He lost that fumble, which was bad. But it seemed that they were better able to move the ball through the air than last year. It seemed that their drives died when they persisted in running the ball and when they got cute with the trick plays. Campbell didn't look lost or scared to me.

Posted by: FITS | September 14, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but I don't think 73.1% passing against a great defense (4th best accurate passer in week 1), and a number 10 rating of 93.1 sucks. True, he should've stepped more in the pocket to prevent the fumble that led to the Giants Def. TD. Considering not having Portis much, Santana didn't do anything, Campbell did great considering only 2 players helped him out. Only Randle-El and Cooley did anything to help this team win. It is not Campbell's fault. It comes down to protection, and help from your weapons. Something he did not have enough of. Despite of all, and still proved to be a good QB, further proves my point of how idiotic you sound, that you're probably so dumb that you never know what you're saying. Complain, complain, complain. It's not Campbell, it's the others who didn't step up to help. Old Garcia is never the answer, with the line we have it would be suicide, what makes you think he could do better when we have no weapons who can't get open? Chill, it's only week 1 with plenty of football to go. A lot can happen, at least I'm hoping. Bottom line-(for the 10th time). Until Campbell gets some more weapons who can play worth a damn, the Redskins will continue to be horrible. Campbell is not the problem, it's the players around him. Just my opinion.

Posted by: pbmingie | September 14, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

For all the Campbell haters.

19-26 (73.1% passing)
211 yd. (having 2 receivers worth a damn)
93.1 Rating (no. 10 vs. a great Defense)

Outperformed (rating wise):

Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
McNabb
Warner
Cutler

What do I have to show to prove to all Campbell haters that it's not his fault. He had no help from Moss, or Kelly. Only Randle-El, and Cooley did anything to help. Might as well have handcuffed his hands together, and STILL managed a top 10 performance. Put that in your pipes and smoke it!!!!

Posted by: pbmingie | September 14, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

It is a lot Campbells fault. No matter how many stats you throw our way his ducks he throws to nobody on deep passes are getting old. His 10 hour drop back to pass is getting old. His non awareness to step up into the pocket is getting old. He just is not a winner on the NFL.

This is just last season all over again. Cooley fumbling. Rogers dropping passes that hit his hands. The offense looking offensive. The defense plays very well but being out way too long and hardly any pass rush.

Oh and how many times can a team run left?!!?!?

Posted by: Mike4169 | September 14, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Campbell holds onto the ball too long. When he cannot find anyone open he should run with it like he did on that final drive. Watching Eli made me realize Campbell just is not a starting NFL quarterback. Guess we will have to see what happens against the Rams next week. Hail

Posted by: davetoobs146 | September 14, 2009 4:50 AM | Report abuse

well we all know that the Giants went into a "soft" d that kind of allowed the skins to march. My issue is why couldn't they do that earlier, the giants seemed to do it to them at will....

Posted by: impervious99 | September 14, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: impervious99 | September 14, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Watching this game yesterday was truly horrifying. I have supported JC for a long time, and really thought he was "the one". However, he look scared out of his mind yesterday, the Giants had his number all day. He got no help from any of his teammates as far as I am concerned. ARE is a bust in my opinion, Clinton Portis is on his last legs. I have also like Zorn, but how do you call a run play on 3rd and 8?????????????????????????????????????????
Those kinds of decisions are going to find us with a new head coach, and a new QB next season.

Posted by: httr20081 | September 14, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HogInCharlotte | September 13, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: tejr3575 | September 13, 2009 10:31 PM

Well, actually, that is my point. Do I think Garcia is a savior? NO. Do I think he is better than Campbell? HELL YES. Besides, if I didn't have a computer, how would I look at those saucy picks of your Mom?

Posted by: HogInCharlotte | September 14, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

the giants will make alot of teams look bad?..that is NOT the truth watch them when they play the eagles. they can't beat the eagles to save their lives in any big game against the giants the eagles usually win. washington plays to afraid when they play any good teams, remember the game against the patriots..blow-out. the eagles took the same patriot team to the wire and should have won the game. until washington stops playing afraid they will always be a bunch of sub-standard bums and the ownership needs to sell the team he is a joke.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 14, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

_____
I love Chris Cooley but maybe the reason the middle was open in the final drive was because the Giants didn't care that much if there were completed passes as long as they weren't to deep and they were in the middle of the field so the clock kept ticking. Yes the Skins scored but not with enough time left were they would get the ball back unless an odds against onside kick worked.. Now not saying the Giants gave the Skins a TD.. but am saying if the Giants were only up by 6.. it wouldn't have been that easy.

Posted by: sovine08 | September 14, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 20yrskinfan
______
I'm reading these blogs and I don't see anyone putting ALL the blame on Campbell. But the QB is the most imporant guy on the field so he gets the most scrutiny. Look if the kicker missed 3 FG people people would say he should be replaced. If a RB fumbled three times put a different RB in. Campbell did not have a good day.. and unlike other positions he didn't have to compete for the starting job in the off season.. so it is fair to ask if the Skins wouldn't be better off trying Collins at QB if this continues. Collins has had success before. I'm just tired of hearing well JC wasn't as bad as Delhomme or Cutler.. that should NOT be the standard on whether he should be replace. The standard should be does the guy on the bench, for ANY position, give the team a better chance to win.

Posted by: sovine08 | September 14, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The problem is Jim Zorn is not a leader and Jason Campbell sucks. He couldn’t throw accurately down the field if his life depended on it. He shows no leadership skills and plays with no emotion or heart and it carries over to the rest of the team. Snyder needs to pay Bill Cower 20 million a year to come in and clean house!! But even if that is not possible Campbell must go now! Hell a couple of years ago when Todd Collins replaced Campbell when he was injured, he dug the Skins out of the hole that Campbell put them in and proceeded to win the last 5 games of the season to put them in the playoffs. He looked great and had high praise from Gibbs. Why is Todd Collins not the starting qb now? Hell give Colt a shot. Colt Looks great when he plays in preseason games and unlike Campbell looks like he might just have that intangible it to be a great one. Either way the team would have nothing to lose by starting Collins or Colt as Campbell is not the answer. Nice guy yes. NFL caliber qb no

Posted by: dlowe1984 | September 15, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse