Campbell Unfazed by Lack of Extension

Jason Reid reports:

Owner Daniel Snyder continues to take a wait-and-see approach with quarterback Jason Campbell, whose contract expires after the 2009 season. The Redskins do not plan to offer Campbell an extension this offseason, team and league sources said, so he begins his third full season as a starter without long-term security.

"I don't worry about that because I always have confidence in my ability," said Campbell, scheduled to be paid about $2.8 million in 2009. "I know what I can do to help this team win, especially with having the opportunity to be in this offense for my second year. I know what I can do, I know the things I've done and where I can go in this game.

"I'm still a young quarterback, but I'm growing and improving. That's what you want to do. I always put team goals first, I'm always going care about that before anything individual. But as long as we win as a team, everybody will get what they deserve. That's what it's about."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 17, 2009; 3:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniels Uncertain of Skins' Interest
Next: Below-the-Radar Roster Concerns Lurk for Skins

Comments

la primera?

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Cindy - BYGO up here today. Anything can happen in this league. Couldn't be prouder of a bunch of reporters.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't sound right?

Posted by: why-hate | March 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

As a starter Philips is better ... would you want a starter who is 36 with his health problems?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:10 PM

What health problems? He had an ACL Tear which is not a health problem. He has missed maybe 2 games total as a Redskin.

I'll take a starting Daniels over a back up in Wynn........

I'd rather have both at this point (unless we get Jackson who had a beast of a pro day yesterday. Also, why is no one talking about LSU's Tackle? He looks like another beast...)

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

How much would Shaffer from the Browns cost? 3 year deal?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"I'd rather have Daniels than Wynn.
Just IMO.
Posted by: matthewvickers

I think we can all agree on that........
Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009"

As a run stopping **backup** Wynn is cheaper, healthier and better in a rotation.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:10 PM

I'd say that both Daniels and Wynn will have a healthy, full 16 game season this year.

Also, Daniels may get nine or ten sacks, if healthy*, whereas Wynn may get three or four if healthy*.

Daniels is a legit pass rushing threat that stops the run as good as anyone else. I'll take Daniels at a mill or two for a year.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell Unfazed by Lack of Extension"

Would she really say that?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If he had made the playoffs last year, he would have been a lock for an extension. But he didn't AND he'll be restricted next year.

So, realistically we have JC17 for atleast 2 more years without extending him long term if he dosen't show he can get us to the playoffs.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

4th, can you post the numbers from Jackson's pro-day??

mhartz, can you try and post your Shaffer write up again?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Brady/Manning debate is worthless

Brady by default, there's really zero discussion.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The solution has been in front of us all along. It's so simple.

Start Lorenzo Alexander at LDE.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"He had an ACL Tear which is not a health problem." - 4th

Or ineptness...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"if I'm starting a franchise and I have to pick Brady or Manning as my QB, give me the guy with the rings, not the ring."

I agree. But the goat has to come too.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I saw it on NFL Network 'Path to the Draft' and 'NFL Access' yesterday.

Everyone was gushing over him. Not for his numbers, but for his potential......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... never thought, or maybe just commpletely forgot about Lo Alexander.

Can he rush the passer effectively?

I do remember him getting blown up last year - I think it was against the Rams. Sort of werid to see a 300 pound guy get de-cleated like that.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell Unfazed by Lack of Extension"

Why should he, he wasn't 'unfazed' by the lack of blocking all season.

Things is, if he does have a stand out season, will the team give him what he wants or will he wind up somewhere else where he'll get what he wants to have.

I say he has a great year, and still winds up with another team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins FO is right for not giving Jason an extension. I don't feel sorry for the guy at all. I mean he'll make almost $3 million for bringing nothing more than mediocrity to the table.
Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 3:23 PM"

JC17 does not want your sorrow or empathy or sympathy. The dude is a stud, is classy and has not moaned once about his contract situation.

How much does Jay Cutler make? Who has more wins? Who cries more?

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The solution has been in front of us all along. It's so simple.

Start Lorenzo Alexander at LDE.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You may be right..... he's still hungry

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

thetruth:"Brady by default, there's really zero discussion"

You forgot to say, "Period. Case Closed."

A sure sign the argument isn't really over...

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

How much does Jay Cutler make? Who has more wins? Who cries more?

I'm not advocating Jay Cutler. Just saying we shouldn't give JC an extension yet. I personally think we've seen the best JC has to offer, which is mediocrity. He takes too long to make decisions, is afraid to make the difficult throw, and doesn't take charge. I like the guy, but he will never be anything more than average.

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Daniels 9 or 10 sacks? LOL. Pass that sh*t to the left.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 17, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I think if the skins do not bring back Fabini &/or Kendall, then L. Alexander could be primed to see more time practicing with the Oline and not the Dline. The cool thing bout Wynn, much like with Daniels, is that he can line up at DT.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wash Times reports 0 WR's at The Park...

Receivers all missing from Redskins workouts

Redskins 360 (View Blog)
POSTED March 17 2009 BY David Elfin

It's a good thing training camp is still more than four months away, because while nearly all of the rest of the Redskins have been on hand for the start of the offseason conditioning program the last two days, there hasn't been a receiver in sight.

Starters Santana Moss (Florida) and Antwaan Randle (Illinois) are often working out at home this time of year and fellow veteran James Thrash has been at the NFL Players Association meetings in Maui as Washington's player rep.

But whither youngsters Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly?

The pair of 2008 second-round picks combined for just 18 catches, 138 yards and no receiving touchdowns in their disapponting rookie seasons that began with them earning the scorn of coach Jim Zorn for their poor workout habits leading into training camp. So probably no Redskins need to be here more than Thomas and Kelly, but they've been absent.

Kelly apparently had his troublesome knee scoped again in January, but veteran guard Randy Thomas had neck surgery that month and he has been at the Park both days.

Posted by: forever21 | March 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Why are people continuing to piss and moan about what athletes make?

YOU, the one that purchases the Sunday ticket, buys the jersey of your favorite players, and frequents the games that YOUR team plays in.

You think that players make too much? Stop supporting them, the owners, and the sport. Take up a interest in amateur sports. Basically, stop being a fan.

You, the fan who cries themselves to sleep over how much another man makes, conrtibutes to their salary in part.

Their salary is justified becasue of the popularity of the sport and how much income the leagues generate.

They get paid accordingly - stop b!tchin', stop whining...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Daniels 9 or 10 sacks? LOL. Pass that sh*t to the left.
Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 17, 2009 3:39 PM "

It's cashed. Or as Danny would say, 'that'll be eight dollars plus tax'

"..I personally think we've seen the best JC has to offer, which is mediocrity.."
Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 3:38 PM

Fortunately, for all of us, we still have another season to determine if you are right or wrong.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Campbell's new contract is probably a win-win situation for both the Skins and Campbell.

First, the Skins don't have any extra cap room this year. So I doubt they could extend his contract without releasing additional players.

If Campbell performs well in 2009 and 2010 is uncapped, then he could make a fortune, with a huge signing bonus and small yearly salaries. If he doesn't play well, then the Skins can sign a better, veteran QB to a long term contract.

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

cL, I suspect that show won't see episode three in season one.

That is a terrible idea. Wheelchair bound?

Michael Strahan = Joe Swanson

How did that Flava Flav show (T.O. was his brother on the show) do?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

They get paid accordingly - stop b!tchin', stop whining...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 3:42 PM

What are you talking about? There is a pie players get paid from that comprises the make up of your team.

Which makes salaries a topic.

Woke up on the wrong side of the DMV today?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

WRs Thomas and Kelly should be at the weight training sessions. Particularly, since they came to camp out of shape last year...

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

From Chirs Cooleys Blog

A very good read into player's salary & economic stimulus.

["NFL players and new NFL contracts are an fantastic way to stimulate the economy. There may be concern about the amount of money free agents are making in the last couple years like Haynesworth signing a 100 million dollar deal with 41 million guaranteed and 30 in the first year. Deangelo Hall receiving a 54 million dollar contract or someone like Matt Cassell who will definitely sign a contract worth over 10 million dollars a year. While I am aware that these guys are a select small group of Americans, but athletes are some of the few who are still pumping money back into our system. Sports are still working and the principal of someone who is extremely wealthy, spreading the wealth to men who will spread it even quicker is a great concept.

Athletes are also paying back Uncle Sam at a blistering rate. I just got done putting my tax information together for last year and will be paying right at half my gross income of 2008 to the federal and state government. May be hard to imagine, but I can put the facts together for everyone. I first of all received bonus checks which are taxed on the highest level (through the last two and a half years I was paid in bonus, a gross of 14 million dollars - anyone can google that - the net of the checks will be just under 8 million dollars). I then received salary, but not only is the salary taxed by state and fed, it's also taxed by the state and sometimes the city we play in. Who doesn't want to file for Cincinnati or Philadelphia income tax? I also go ahead and pay a Medicare tax. Oh, and lets not forget our friendly car and home taxes - over 30,000 a year for me, fun times. So before I, or any other players think about spending money, we must consider that we will forfeit close to 50 percent of our earnings...] (cont)

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"No, it isn't but it could be a potential lingering one though, and to give thought to signing someone coming off an ACL tear at 36 kinda shows your desperation."

Gotta agree with Red on this one.

(weird, huh?)

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

T.O. is actually having his own 'Love' show on VH1 where filming already started.

He is supposed to have some good looking assistans follow him around (such as that '25 Million reasons' chick who was hot if her hair was done)......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"The absences of Devin Thomas and Kelly don't bode well for their futures nor for a much-needed improvement by the Redskins' offense in Zorn's second season.

Quarterback Jason Campbell is the key to Washington's season, but he won't succeed without targets to throw to. And, as Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley (who's here, working out) said on Monday, Devin Thomas and Kelly need to step up, starting now."

Posted by: forever21

Very strange since Devin Thomas was at Redskins Park just last week - he even took time to personally go visit a fan who wrote to him - and he said he plans to be here for the workouts.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 17, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

(cont from Chris Cooley's blog

[..That being said, don't think for a second that taxes or the poor economy is causing football players to sit on the rest of their money. They're spending it! Cars, houses, clothes, food, women, jewelry and all of it at a rapid pace. This isn't just a guess, this information comes from five years of watching how lavishly players live and how much guys spend, myself included. Normally this spending pattern isn't condoned and by no means does it excite someone who has a hard time putting food on the table, but right now rich people spending an ass load of money is a big part of what our economy needs...](cont)

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a starting Daniels over a back up in Wynn........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009"

Having had an ACL tear I can tell you that IS A SERIOUS ISSUE ... he cannot be depended on for 16 games ... he will deteriorate and become less effective as a starter. As a backup in a rotation perhaps ...

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Beantown Greg

Shaffer gave up 24sacks in 15games...RI wont let me post his entire summary, tried 3 times.

He made 3.5M last year, looks strong. He is also from MD

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

i love Chris Cooley, but he is an idiot.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't post the rest of the Cooley blog on Player's salaries but it's a darn good read. RI filter is being gay...

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

24 sacks in 15 games?? Or 2.4 sacks in 15 games?? Because if its 24, then no thanks, we've already got him on the roster, he's named Jon Jansen.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:57 PM

As a Tax Preparer of 8 years, I say:

So the F*^K What? Are you still making millions?

Ever heard of tax shelters? Buying property would be a good one right now. Especially in Florida.

Also, you deduct expenses. Paying your agent. You can deduct State taxes paid on your federal return.

You can become a S-Corp and but all your stuff through the company (Cars, houses, clothes, etc.) and take a GNORMOUS loss. Then the loss filters down to your personal tax return, voila. More money in your's and all rich peoples' pockets.

Enough free advice for the day. You know where you can reach me at if you need more (Cooley and brother - talking to you).

rightwaytax@hotmail.com

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Rabach is the starting center and play caller on the o-line. He is the only center on the team and would cost 3.6 mil in dead cap space to cut. He's not going anywhere."

That's incorrect. His release fee is around 1 million his total is around 5 million for this year's contract.

I also suspect they are playing salary cap games with Campbell and Rogers. They knew they would not have the cap space to sign them to long-term contracts with Haynesworth in the works.

If they draft a center and a center/guard they might just release Rabach. A trade for draft picks is also possible.

You have to look for them to attempt to replace Rock and almost definitely the kicker with draft picks.

In other words they have placed themselves in such a salary cap bind they almost have to trade future draft picks to get picks this year in order to get out of salary cap hell.

They really won't be able to get any cap relief next year ... even with Jansen they are better off waiting until 2011 to release him. In 2011 they will be better able to get significant cap relief ... next year will be all about Campbell and Rogers if they have good years.

Next year they would be better off without draft picks as a result.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

mhartz1 try breaking up the post. It might be too big.

Posted by: TWISI | March 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

that should read 'buy all your stuff', not 'but'.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I gotta think the FO is at least considering drafting a DE with their first pick. And if they did that, Daniels would not be needed.

My guess is that their first round pick will be penciled in at starter at either OT, OLB, or DE. Once they figure that out, they will determine if they need to pay more than the minimum for Daniels or Marcus Washington.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | March 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Not all players make millions, though.

I wish that I made six figures a year! But I don't. Can you help me maximize my tax return?

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

How about if you want to read his blog post, just click on the link in the sidebar to the left....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Ha, 4th, no homie, VA side is the sunny side.

Always. Remember that.

But what I'm saying is, I don't understand the b!tching and whining over how much another man makes. If you don't like the salaries of these players, then stop watching.

It's really that simple. Not saying you necessarily, but strictly follow only college sports.

They play for the love of the game only, right?

There is a soon-to-be-flopped football league strating soon, right? I suggest you, or they watch that then.

I mean this term was overused during it's time, therefor is now played out, but:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You can't be sour at these dudes for taking a payday. It's business, shouldn't ever be personal, but some players - and fans seemed determined to make it that way.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"espn.com reports that there are two unnamed NFC teams pursuing Peppers. I think that the skins are one of those, which is why they are waiting on Daniels. Probably involves are first round pick.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009"

Incorrect. Its probably New England and Dallas.

1. Both teams play a 3-4 defense. Peppers wants to be in a 3-4. The Redskins play a 4-3.

2. Dallas is one of the teams he prefers to be traded to.

Conclusion: Peppers doesn't want to come to Washington.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Per - do you really think they will use a pick on a kicker? After the D Brooks fiasco, I don't see it. After the draft closes, grab the best 2-3 available as undrafted FA's and let the competition begin.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Cant find his sack allowed total, but this is what I found:

Shaffer had started in 47 of the past 48 games for the Browns at an offensive tackle position. In order, his production can probably be ranked best in 2007 (RT), second best in 2006 (LT), and worst this past season (RT). As a team in 2008 the Browns OL collectively allowed 25 sacks.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"Wash Times reports 0 WR's at The Park...

Receivers all missing from Redskins workouts"

***

Posted by: p1funk | March 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell Unfazed by Lack of Extension"

...stands in stark contrast to Jay Cutler, who apparently gets fazed b/c Josh McDaniels won't send him sweetheart text messages...

Posted by: p1funk | March 17, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Not all players make millions, though.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 4:12 PM

We'll he does. I understand everyone isn't rolling like him though.

I can help anyone maximize their return. Rich or poor.

Feel free to throw out any general questions you may have.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"I remember reading at the end of last season that Malcolm Kelly planned to live in the DC area in the offseason and workout. Is there any way to know if that was the case? Where was he when his knee got scoped?
Posted by: p1funk | March 17, 2009 4:16 PM"

I think he was in Florida. Griffin is in Pensacola working with the Andrew's staff, building his shoulder's strength. Malcom's first scope was in Pensacola, too.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was the only one who thought Kim Etheridge was sort of bad...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

11. Kevin Shaffer (Browns) 4.5 sacks allowed (15 starts), here you go 2008 season stats for Shaffer - only 4.5 sacks, considered a top tier run blocking RT, can also play guard.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 17, 2009 4:16 PM

Devin Thomas mentioned on TV that Kelley was in Texas working on strengthening his knee.

Posted by: TWISI | March 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

This link tells every OL stats in regards to Sacks allowed, pretty nice...

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Brady by default, there's really zero discussion.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

shaffer seems like he's got skills....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

the 2008 rookie pass catchers can not be labeled busts as of yet, but at the same time I wouldn't be putting a deposit down on the granite for their HoF busts either.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

JC17 is the most competent QB the skins have had since Brad Johnson (who, by the way won a SB after leaving). And JC17 has shown growth from year to year, so there's no reason to think that won't continue--especially if the O-line lets him drop back and look at the D for half a second.

This will work out very well for the cap and for JC17 if they wait for the uncapped year.

Funny thing, when JC17 has a stellar year (top 10 QB type year) this year, some short-sighted posters here will act like it's a total surprise to them--they won't recognize that's what his performance has been progressing towards all along.

I remember how people were calling for Mark Rypien's head (he got sacked like crazy and benched for fumbling) before he got some decent protection... and the rest is history.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Denver might be interested in Jason Campbell. They have a rule in Denver that you can only be a starting QB for the Broncos if your first name begins with 'J' -- making all trade rumors more credible

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"JC17 is the most competent QB the skins have had since Brad Johnson "
Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 4:30 PM

Uhhh, that's not really saying much. Sure Campbell is better than Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerfel, Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, Sage Rosenfels, Gibran Hamdan, et. al.

I think Ramsey was the best of the group and if Spurrier hadn't ruined him, he'd still be the QB of the Skins.

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"If I'm starting a franchise and I have a choice of Brady or Peyton Manning ... I'm happy"

I'd put Roethlisberger on the list too.

Posted by: mrsaun | March 17, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:13 PM

There you go making sense again.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 17, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Derrick Frost, Durant Brooks -- I think this leads to the obvious completion of the circle: Derrick Brooks

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Ramsey? Pulheeeeeeze.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Oops -- 3.6mil is Raback's salary for this year -- his release fee is 1.3 mil -- so releasing him now would save 2.3 mil aginst the cap and open a gigantic hole in the center of the o-line that would have to be filled by a player who doesn't know the offense...

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009"

Depends on the rookie or preferably rookies. Which they desperately do need.

The Ravens did this with Rabach before he was traded to the Skins.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Its a curse LH, its a curse...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes and Ramsey was sooooo good he's starting where?

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 4:35 PM

Brian Griesie??

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

+++Why give the guy a contract when the best he has gotten us to is 8-8 in the NFC East?

Posted by: 4thFloor +++

If HE had made the playoffs last year? I't s team game, 4th.

So I ask:

Who were those injured sieve like warriors gumming up the back half of the season by not blocking?

Was it Campbell's fault Vinny didn't draft him any receivers?

That his aging RB broke down?

Ot his punter sucked and his kicker was worst in the league?

Or that his rookie coach didn't have an offense more imaginative than Pop Warner's teams?

Or that the traded away #2 and #6 draft picks put as much pressure on opponents as Jason Taylor?

Obviously, JC hasn't earned a Mega Contract. But totally ignoring his contractual situation, making no offer at all, sets the 'skins up to lose him if he's successful this year.

QB's hold grudges and have long memories...Ask Cutler.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I was visiting a friend recently and he mentioned how his son had bought an expensive coffee bean grinder because supposedly, it 'didn't bruise the beans'. Can we get a punter who isn't afraid to bruise the football?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

If deals are going to be made it would be smarter to forego trading the starting quarterback and instead trading guys like Rabach, Thrash (if possible) and perhaps Rock Cartwright to get more draft picks and to free up cap space.

You might sign a Byron Leftwich with some of the savings. He, unlike Peppers, would like to come to DC.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Can also assume that Yoder might be gone.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"Yes and Ramsey was sooooo good he's starting where?"
Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Nowhere. Not even on a roster currently. My point is Ramsey took such a pounding when Spurrier constantly ran 5 WR sets that he eventually got too skiddish in the pocket. By no means was I saying Ramsey was soooo good. Just saying when you compare him to other Skins QB's since Brad Johnson he ain't that bad.

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Rabach was a free agent signing actually, not gotten through trade.....just for accuracies sake.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009"

Sorry ... the Ravens drafted 3 or 4 centers the entire time Rabach was there.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"QB's hold grudges and have long memories...Ask Cutler.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009"

Speaking of which I wonder if Ramsay has had a change of attitude?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

And Rabach is fine. Yes we should be grooming his replacement with a draftee/FA youngster but he still has milage left especially by upgrading at LG and maybe RT.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Just saying when you compare him to other Skins QB's since Brad Johnson he ain't that bad."

My personal fave, and I am serious, was Tony Banks b/c A he meant JGeorge was gone, B he started right away, C I loved that Marty squad's second half. I haven't seen a can do team like that since 92 (maybe two gibbs playoff runs...) but still that marty squad balled after that 0-7 start...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which I wonder if Ramsay has had a change of attitude?

Posted by: periculum

He's had a change in altitude

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Tony Banks, hahahahaha! I forgot about that dude. It's sad that the best names we can come up with when talking about Skins QB's are Patrick Ramsey and Tony Banks. Norv had one good year where we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and should have beaten sorry ass Tampa Bay to go to the NFC championship game (thanks Dan Turk). But you're right, that 2nd half in Marty's year was awesome.

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Trading Thrash and Cartwright......wha? For what? Rae Carruth's rookie card and yesterday's dinner.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009"

Its either trade them or release them CL. I am not in favor of the Haynesworth signing and the bind they have put themselves in.

But they are in a bind. They need salary cap space. Those are the best alternatives short of a blockbuster trade involving Chris Samuels for example. Then using draft picks to replace him. And I think they might still release those guys to get salary cap space.

I didn't agree with releasing Springs or Washington. Releasing Springs was a mistake. Washington may not have been given the fact he is still out there and they may be able to get a draft pick replacement?

The salary cap bind has got to be a high priority issue for the FO.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Norv had one good year where we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and should have beaten sorry ass Tampa Bay to go to the NFC championship game (thanks Dan Turk). "

Dan Turk died of cancer soon after that. May be why he had problems in that game.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

expect a bunch of vet signings at the vet minimum salary. Its what's left in the piggy bank at this point. Thrash? He'll be here because its tough to find anyone else cheaper.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Cork - That is what you're based on as a QB.

How many QBs get extensions without taking their team to atleast one playoff game?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

People are saying Cutler or JC? Id take Cutler easily. Sure they led their teams to the same record. But Cutler got the most out of his team. The broncos are a 2 win without him maybe worse. The skins are a 11-12 win team with a Cutler at the helm. Face it our Defense is playoff ready. JC couldn't beat the niners and we put up what 19 something points total vs the Giants, not to mention how poorly he played the final 8 weeks of the season.

Posted by: armst012 | March 17, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

FYI....
Ramsey with Spurrier
Ramsey took 30 sacks, Ramsey had 337 pass attempts. 11.23%

Ramsey with Gibbs
Ramsey took 23 sacks, Ramsey had 272 pass
attepmts. 11.82%

Plus, Ramsey was destined to wear team hat and hold a clipboard.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | March 17, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 4:57 PM

I always blamed the defense for letting Alstot run 35 yards sideways to get 2 yards vertical.

How heartbreaking was that?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"I think its one of th few things skins fan and the FO can agree apon, if JC leads us to an 11-5 record and we do some damage in the playoffs yes offer him a new deal. If we miss out again. Its time to move on and go elsewhere.

Posted by: armst012 | March 17, 2009"

The Redskins have a decimated, aging and deprecated offensive line. They only have 2 receivers in Moss and Cooley. They have an aging eroding featured running back.

I don't think this was the case in Denver.

Besides Cutler is just another Jeff George clone.

Why not say that about Haynesworth. He is making more a lot money than Campbell ... as is Chris Samuels.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Statistically Ramsey was sacked more times per pass attempt with Gibbs than with Spurrier. Wrap your mind around that."

Brutal, never would have thought that. I just still have images of 300+ pound D-lineman killing Ramsey his rookie year.

Posted by: RebuildingSince91 | March 17, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"Face it our Defense is playoff ready. JC couldn't beat the niners and we put up what 19 something points total vs the Giants, not to mention how poorly he played the final 8 weeks of the season."

The O-line had completely collapsed as had everyone's hero Mr. Give-me-the-ball Portis.

And so finally did the defense.

As I recall Campbell brought them back against the 49'ers for a good lead right at the end. IT WAS THE DEFENSE THAT COLLAPSED allowing SF to score yet again.

Now let's talk about how he beat the NFC conference championship runner ups twice!!! The Eagles. He also beat the conference champion Cardinals.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Cutler beat the Steelers or the Ravens?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Cork - That is what you're based on as a QB.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 5:02 PM

Disagree. Archie Manning was (wiki)(35–101–3 (26.3%), "the worst in NFL history among QB's with at least 100 starts."

I think even you would agree he was an outstanding QB that got horrible protection from his line, thus leading to that awful won-loss record.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

At the start, people complained that JC17 did not take time to go through his progressions. Then, people complained he did decide fast enough$*@&^

How many of you even watched the SB? Big Ben danced, danced, and danced some more, then threw DEEEP!!!

The WC offense sucks for a strong arm QB like JC17. The O-Line Sucked even worse!!! A good O-Line will allow a Good QB 5-8 seconds in the Pocket. When Dallas came to town, T-Romo had enough time to give entire Body Fakes!!!!

No excuse for the lack of down field passing this year. How difficult could it be for Thomas, Davis, or Kelly to understand how to run straight down the field and make a play on the ball??? Games come down to big WR making plays, not big WR running cute routes!!!

El and SMoss are just too small to go up and get the ball. And we still don't know if the young WR's can do it. However, we know JC17 can throw ball 80 yd down field if he could just get 3-5 secs even in the pocket.

Posted by: bjbmusa | March 17, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen Archie Manning play nor did I know he was a former QB until Peyton's name came up.

Now that they show highlights of him all of sudden, he looks like a poor teams Fran Tarkenten.

He also played in a different era, so what I wrote doesn't really fit in that example....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:20 PM

Wrong link on Archie Manning in my previous.

But Archie *never* went to the playoffs. He was 35–101–3 (worst in NFL history among QB's with at least 100 starts) and never had a winning record with the Saints. He was also a superior QB--2xPro-Bowler, All-Pro selection, and NFC Offensive Player of the Year in one of those losing years.

His offensive line sucked

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Per,

What are you talking about with this salary cap hell, they have 7mil in cap space. That is plenty to sign draft picks and still sign a few more FA's.

AH's only counts 7mil against the cap this year, not that big of a deal.

They don't need release anyone for more salary cap space.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"Per,

AH's only counts 7mil against the cap this year, not that big of a deal.

They don't need release anyone for more salary cap space.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009"

Projections indicate they will have no cap room ... maybe 200K before the end.

Remember, who is the starting right tackle? Who is the starting SAM, who is the starting LDE? What about depth?

Most teams keep a minimum of 3 million free to allow for injuries and last minute signings to make up for them.

For example (from warpath):

Expected Signings - savings(hit)
Other Offensive Lineman ($3.5)
DL or LB ($2.0)
Phillip Daniels ($2.0)
Pete Kendall ($1.5)
Khary Campbell ($1.0)
Rookies ($2.5)
Players Removed from Top 51 $3.3
(Rabach, Thrash, Cartwright, Yoder?)

Total Expected Signings ($9.2)

Warpath’s Projected 2009 Redskins Cap Room: $0.2 million

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

4th, yes different era but same principle. There are times when the team struggles and it's not the QBs fault. I submit to you that's where the Skins are right now.

Your blanket statement about playoff wins and the value of the QB does not stand up to any reasonable analysis.

You've heard of Dan Marino, right? Playoff record is 8–10.

Mark Brunnell is 5-5 in playoffs.

Are Brunnell and Marino about the same caliber of QB?

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Noting that rookies will be a lot cheaper than veterans in their first year. So, the more reasonably high draft picks this year. The better salary cap wise.

Caveat:
This is Snidely's creation not mine.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"You've heard of Dan Marino, right? Playoff record is 8–10.

Mark Brunnell is 5-5 in playoffs.

Are Brunnell and Marino about the same caliber of QB?

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009"

I don't think Christian Adolph Jurgenson never played in a playoff game. Unlike Sammy Baugh.

I would take him, specifically because he is a true "burgundy and gold" over both guys you list and then some ... in a heartbeat.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

bjbmusa - Just drop back and chuck it, huh?

I'm thinking it's a little more complicated than that. Worked for the Raiders 25 years ago, but not too well recently. If the running game isn't there, the deep ball just leads to INT's.

But I do agree that we need a beastly O-line. I think everyone does.

Where did this come from? "A good O-Line will allow a Good QB 5-8 seconds in the Pocket" Seems a bit lofty. Hell, anybody could play behind that line. (Ok, maybe not Baby Heath - that was just never gonna work out.)

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

For example (from warpath):

Expected Signings - savings(hit)
Other Offensive Lineman ($3.5)
DL or LB ($2.0)
Phillip Daniels ($2.0)
Pete Kendall ($1.5)
Khary Campbell ($1.0)
Rookies ($2.5)
Players Removed from Top 51 $3.3
(Rabach, Thrash, Cartwright, Yoder?)

Total Expected Signings ($9.2)

Warpath’s Projected 2009 Redskins Cap Room: $0.2 million

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 5:37 PM |

Before we start crying about cap space why don't we wait to see what happens instead of going by what is being projected.

Phillip Daniles is not getting 2mil he will get Vet min or maybe a little more.

Pete Kendall will get Vet min or nothing.

Who is this other O-Linemen and who says he will get 3.5mil.

This team will have the salary cap space incase of an emergency, they are the best in the buisness at manipulating the salary cap.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

Falser words were never spoken.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Falser words were never spoken.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 5:51 PM |

Really explain, did they not get AH and Hall signed when everyone said it would be impossible.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

AH's only counts 7mil against the cap this year, not that big of a deal.

They don't need release anyone for more salary cap space.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 5:32 PM |

I think you're off on this flounder. They need about $3 million to sign draft picks. They need about $3 million at the start of the season to sign replacements when players go down. They have painted themselves into a corner once again.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 17, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if posted already but Matt Sinclair was released per Skins site.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 17, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

TE,

I will not argue the point anymore, but believe me they will have the cap space needed.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if posted already but Matt Sinclair was released per Skins site.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 17, 2009 5:58 PM |

Theres 385 thousand

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________
Then Ryp had his break-out year - '91 (which, coincidentally was also the final year of his contract), signed a big new contract in the off season and kinda went so-so after that.

Posted by: tripz | March 17, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

JC should get a great contract. Very average WR's, One good TE, Average RB's, Below Average Line. What would you expect? A super Bowl with his supporting cast of average players? Get rid of DS and VS and start over with JC at the QB spot.

Posted by: wspasp | March 17, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we could trade Campbell for Cutler?

Posted by: agupta1 | March 17, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

periculum: "Sorry ... the Ravens drafted 3 or 4 centers the entire time Rabach was there."

Which doesn't prove your point. As a counterweight, Ozzie Newsome noted how upset he was to lose Rabach, and several teams lined up to sign him. Bugel noted Rabach's importance to the team, and so did Gibbs.

If he's lost a step, or needs to be replaced, that's one thing. But I don't see the Rabach signing as a mistake, and nothing you've said dissuades me.

I'm beginning to wonder if you've got anything behind these posts.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until this emotionless, lack of a leader is playing for another team. This guy is getting us no where. It took a busted knee cap of his to get us into the playoffs. I don't care if Gibbs drafted him or not, we gave way too much for him. 2010 can't come fast enough.

Posted by: Boleyn9 | March 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Boleyn9 - the word on campbell is that he is a competitve leader, he doesn't show it on the field. It's "Game Face Only" on the field.

Aikman didn't show emotion either.

Give JC a chance to play with better protection and more defensive turnovers assuming we can make those things happen, and a more productive D Thomas JC's stats will be much better.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

periculum: re: salary cap, it could be a problem, but when we have cap space we end up with Jason Taylor

how about Blades to start SSLB, LE by committee Wynn, Daniels(?), Wilson, Jackson, Rookie#?, and Jansen, Heyer, Rookie#? @ RT, this isn't ideal, but keep in mind the addition of Dockery and Haynesworth

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

did anyone see this on fanhouse:

if Campbell flops in 2009, we could be entering the Colt Brennan era. (Or more likely, the Anybody-But-Colt era. No offense to Brennan, but, come on, he's not a guy you build a team around; he's an NFL backup.

CLOT BRENNAN LOVERS PLEASE READ