Campbell Wants Out If Redskins Draft Sanchez

Starting quarterback Jason Campbell, whom the Washington Redskins have actively tried to replace this offseason, will request to be traded if the team selects Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez in Saturday's NFL draft, league sources said Thursday.

The Redskins are among many teams interested in acquiring Sanchez with their top pick in the two-day draft, league sources said.

Earlier this month, Washington failed in its pursuit of Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who was traded to the Chicago Bears. In addition to Washington's trade talks with Denver, a high-ranking Redskins official contacted another NFL team about the possibility of trading Campbell, who has been the starter the past 2 1/2 seasons, for a second-round pick in the upcoming draft, an NFL source said. The Redskins deny they inquired about trading Campbell, a first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Campbell publicly has taken the high road when asked about the organization's apparent interest in other quarterbacks, but a source close to him said he is fed up with the way he has been treated recently. If Sanchez winds up with the Redskins, Campbell's represenative, Joel Segal, will contact the team in an effort to find a better situation for his client, sources said.

By Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid  |  April 23, 2009; 7:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: K. Washington in Mix
Next: Redskins Agree To Terms With Punter Hunter Smith

Comments

first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: gre28man72 | April 23, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Dare to dream, Jason. You'll get to make your choice after next season, because right now no one would give up a 4th round pick for you.

Posted by: daggar | April 23, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Skins sign P Hunter Smith (ex-Colt).

Not quite what JLC predicted in the chat today.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 23, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

bye have fun in clipboardville, you can join Patrick Ramsey there....

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 23, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

wow. good for you JC. if the FO takes Sanchez i'm requesting a trade too. enough is enough.

Posted by: sidkid31 | April 23, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Speechless!

Posted by: abxinc | April 23, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

no sh!t

Posted by: toohoes | April 23, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jj250 | April 23, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

It gets harder to root for this team every year.

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | April 23, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I know this goes against the popular grain and all, but may I point out that a 4 year veteran, and 3 years of regular playing QB threw 13 TDs in a 16 game regular season in which his entire starting skill position players played every game and he had the league's leading rusher for half the season. BTW, he didn't lead the league in sacks and in fact, some of the sacks he took were when in the first game of the season he literally ran around his RT to get sacked by a completely blocked DE or when he backpedaled for 15 yards and instead of throwing the ball away took a sack along the sidelines (Steelers game) or took a ton of sacks in second halves after a first half of offensive ineptitude put him in a position to throw on every down and good defenses were able to just tee off on the pass (the Giants first game, the Steelers game after 4 possession in Steeler territory produced 3 points to start the game and so on). My point being that if Ramsey, Wuerffel, and Mathews can combine for 23 TDs a first round pick 4 years in should be able to do a little better than 13.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 23, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame him, but I also wouldn't be sad to see him go. Good guy, throws a nice ball, but incredibly slow in the pocket.

Posted by: brian71490 | April 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are the only team in the NFL with no Dline selections on the first day of the draft (not just first round) in over 10 years (last was 1997) - QB is not our problem. Campbell will look LOTS better when he has even a mediocre to average line in front of him. Likewise, Sanchez will suck even worse than JC if we select him.

Posted by: ndickover | April 23, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 |

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 23, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this like a self fulfilling prophecy? They try for another QB so much that they alienate their QB so they have to think about signing another QB... Even if they don't draft a QB, I don't see Campbell sticking around. Congratulations Vinny and Dan! You have finally mis-managed a situation so badly that you have made Al Davis look like the poster boy for Sanity magazine.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 23, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

May I also point out that Wuerffel, Mathews, Ramsey didn't have Moss or Cooley to throw to and didn't have CP running behind them, they had Trung Candidate and the amazing o-line of Kip Vickers, Alex Sulfsted, Brenden Stai, Chris Samuels, Larry Moore, David Loverne, Tre Johnson, and Jon Jansen. Not exactly a collection of stars, certainly Jansen and Samuels were stronger then but the rest of the line was terrible.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 23, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The ever changing redskins, it's no wonder that they always seem to be in last place in the East year after year. Here's my prediction for the next 5 years
2009: Draft Sanchez-- offense struggles--no playoffs--Zorn is fired
2010: New head coach-- new system-Sanchez shows no progress--offense struggles-no playoffs
2011: New starting QB-- offense struggles--head coach’s job in jeopardy--no playoffs
2012: New head coach--offense struggles to learn another system--no playoffs
2013: New starting QB--offense struggles as QB learns system--no playoffs
Should we continue

Posted by: pennstate1 | April 23, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

2009: Draft Sanchez-- offense struggles--no playoffs--Zorn is fired
2012: New head coach--offense struggles to learn another system--no playoffs
2013: New starting QB--offense struggles as QB learns system--no playoffs
Should we continue

Posted by: pennstate1

Pennstate, sad to say, I think you nailed it.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 23, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying the FO has treated Campbell well, but what's even more interesting is that it seems no other team wants him...

Hmmmm....

Posted by: rickyroge | April 23, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to do this. I have been a life long Redskin fan but I'm done. I've tried to be patient but I cant take anymore of Daniel Snyder and how he always manages to screw things up. We have a good promising QB who has been under multiple offensive coordinators with no "O-Line" and they are destroying the relationship/confidence. JC has been nothing but a class act. Snyder is going to F-Up the team by trading up to get a questionable QB when we have pressing needs on both sides of the line and other areas.....He is worse than Al Davis. I cant take anymore of Danny Boy. He thinks he's playing "Madden 2009". He has no idea and no business of how to run a team. Goodbye.

Posted by: goscott2 | April 23, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

This owner care less about winning and your feelings as a fan, but care much more about the volume of jersey Sanchez will sell to all the obedient fans.

Posted by: abxinc | April 23, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

After 22 years being raised as a die-hard and patient redskins fan who like every other redskins fan my generation, I can finally say I've had it with this team. I've defended Snyder about as long as any sane person could, but this off-season has officially convinced me that as long as he and vinny are in charge, the redskins will never be anything more but the epitome of mediocre. Snyder has boyhood crushes on every "next big thing" that comes around, Sanchez is just the latest new kid on the block. He lusts after other teams players while scorning the players he signed and drafted. Campbell's never been in the same system for back-to-back years, and even though snyder's hand picked coach has said consistently that Jason's his man, he pretends to know more about football then the men who actually played it. The skins are not one player away, they haven't been the entire snyder era, but he continually convinces himself they are. Here's to 7-9 for the next 20 years till snyder kicks the can.

Posted by: jcarch87 | April 23, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

He was 6-2 first 8 games of season with no ints so he is capable, give him a year shore up the lines, linebackers, if he fails 8-8 were are use to it.

Posted by: Turickskins | April 23, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I think most people agree that they're at the breaking point with this front office. If this truly goes down, I'm right there with everyone else. I'm tired of being the laughing-stock of the league, and I'm tired of this horrible duo. All the great teams know to build up both lines and build through the draft. We have done neither since this f#cktard took over 10 long years ago. I love you skins, but if this goes through, I'm done. Why hasn't Portis or anyone else on this team spoken up about how ridiculous this is? If anyone has the owners' ear, its CP, and he's been mute.

Posted by: DCinSD | April 23, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I love Snyder's passion to win, but he makes me miss Jack Kent Cooke ever more. NO QB could make it without the O-line to protect him, or the WRs to throw it to!
There are far too many QBs that are the "sure thing" coming out of college (esp. underclassmen), only to fail in the NFL.

Posted by: mayonvolc | April 23, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade all future first round picks for a new owner? I hope if Campbell goes to another team, after three years of continuity, he wins the Super Bowl and is named MVP. Oh the look on Danny's face would be priceless!!!!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | April 23, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

2009: Draft Sanchez-- offense struggles--no playoffs--Zorn is fired
2012: New head coach--offense struggles to learn another system--no playoffs
2013: New starting QB--offense struggles as QB learns system--no playoffs
Should we continue

Posted by: pennstate1

2031:After Snyder suddenly divorce vinny--playoffs

Posted by: abxinc | April 23, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vegasskinsfan |

Wrong!
Danny will simply give him $200,000,000.00, case closed.

Posted by: abxinc | April 23, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John_Keats | April 23, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

At least I won't have to waste hours in December, watching our o-line collapse as CP sits out with knee/back/shoulder problems, following the skins. Our season will be long over by then.

Posted by: John_Keats | April 23, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not in the front office, but I really question this decision to actively replace Campbell. I don't see why Snyder wants to draft Sanchez so badly unless he and Cerrato have decided to start all over and write off the 2009 season.

Maybe there is some tension that has been going on between Campbell and Zorn, Cerrato, and Snyder. I don't know. The only rational reason that I could see for the team wanting to trade Campbell away is that they have some untenable differences in private that we just don't know about. Or something may be going on that they have not shared with us. I don't know.

I agree with the others here. Until the Redskins hire a competent general manager and Snyder backs off, letting the football professionals do their job, this team will continue to loes. The problem is that Snyder and Cerrato never give any coach or player the time to mature. And so it creates a revolving door.

It seems like the Redskins are steadily turning into the Cincinnati Bengals and the Detroit Lions. I hate to even predict this but I could see Detroit winning their first game since the 2007 season when they play Washington.

Posted by: jiacinto | April 23, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

some of you guys need to stop crying!!

is JC17 SO Good that we can't live without him.

how about the fact that JC17 has no value on the open market, there's your clue

many reports state that if Mark Sanchez stayed for his final year, that he would be the #1 pick

I say, go for it

this is not personal guys and there is no guarantee that JC17 will EVER be more than an average QB

If we do nothing, you same guys will be crying next year when you realize that JC17 may actually be an average QB and you will be praying that Colt can step in

either way.....I love this stuff

we are so average and have been for years.

not because of Snyder,but because we have no QB

Go Dan Go

Posted by: snyderbandwagon | April 23, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Sndyerbandwagon--I think that the problem has been a lack of consistency. It seems like, almost every year, there is another coach, another system, another "gimmick" that Snyder wants to push. Snyder meddles too much with football matters that he knows little about. That's my problem with him.

Posted by: jiacinto | April 23, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope Jason gets the chance to go somewhere else where he's appreciated. On a team with a decent line and he'll shine. I view Jason's situation very similar to Drew Bree's situation and Jason has a better arm!

Our Owner and Pseudo GM are just imbeciles who just don't get it. We have an opportunity to build this team up and they'll wind up squandering it away. Fine get Sanchez, he'll spend most of the season on his back or running for his life and the following year shell shocked like Patrick Ramsey is now. WHY? BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A LINE! They better hope Pat White is still around, because if we lose Jason we'll need a mobile QB.

Posted by: clark202 | April 23, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

agreed Jiacinto

but here's the thing

Snyder is incorrigible and it's his nature to get involved.

but the fact is....we need a QB and they know it

Snyder is taking the heavy on this and rightfully so, but let's not forget about Zorn

You better believe that this is Zorn's call more than Dan's

Zorn knows QB's and there is no way that Snyder is stupid enough to trump Zorn's opinion

In my humble opinion, if this goes down it will be as much Zorn's call as anyone elses

also keep in mind that Snyder really respects Sonny's opinion and I'm sure they spoke as well

Posted by: snyderbandwagon | April 23, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I've been a die hard fan for forty plus years but if they trade up for a rookie then i'm done, and some of you on this blog who call yourselves fans should be ashamed of yourselves you criticize Campbell but have no knowledge of the game and DC in SD you hit the nail on the head Clinton Portis can call out his head coach during the week of an important game with playoff ramifications against the Bengals(oh yeah how'd that work out for you and the team CP?) but you barely here a peep out of him after the front office has insulted the team leader time and again,whats wrong CP? Masa den told yu he'll whup yu if you speak out whats wrong CP Masa won't keep yo pockets straight BE A MAN STAND UP FOR YOUR TEAMATE OH! MY BAD BE A WOMAN THEN WHATEVER Just stop being a "House Negro"!!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 23, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Go Dan Go!? PLEASE.

snyderbandwagon, this isn't fantasy football and all we'd be doing by trading up is prolonging this morass.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 23, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

we are never done

we want to win

I don't care if it's JC17,Sanchez or Donald Duck...

We want to win

personally, I wouldn't make the move

I want two guys

Rey Malaluga or Micheal Oher

that's it, that's the list

Posted by: snyderbandwagon | April 23, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Snyderbandwagon--The only plausible theory that I have is that there has been some friction between Campbell and the front office and/or Jim Zorn that the media hasn't reported. It could be that these differences have been festering for a long time and only now have come to the surface. It could also be that Zorn, Snyder, and Cerrato may have a vision for the team that clashes with Campbell's, Maybe Campbell's style no longer fits in the team's long-term plans.

Or maybe Snyder, Cerrato, and Zorn have decided to start over from scratch. Maybe they want to build the franchise all over and create a new offense, eliminating all remaining vestiges of the Gibbs era. I really don't know. Whatever the case I don't know.

It might be that the front office and Zorn might have lost favor for Campbell after the 6-2 start turned out into a 2-6 finish. Even though it is unfair to put the entire blame on Campbell maybe they see how the season ended last year as justification to replace him.

Whatever the case I would have given Campbell one more year to prove himself. But perhaps Snyder, Cerrato, and Zorn are seeing something that we don't. Or maybe there's some internal conflict going on that we haven't heard much about.

Posted by: jiacinto | April 23, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

In our Pavlovian conclusions that Snyderrato are behind all attempts at QB upgrade, fanboys and girls overlook that, just *** maybe ***, the head football coach who is a former professional QB and QB coach, just *** might *** have told the FO that an upgrade at QB was in order. Just maybe, folks.

Posted by: drobertson180 | April 23, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"some of you guys need to stop crying!!

is JC17 SO Good that we can't live without him."

The nattering nabobs of negativity will always say that no player is so good that a team can't live without him. Then they will turn around and say that team chemistry is the most important thing, and that every time a player thinks that he's bigger than the team, in any little way much less a big way, the seasonw will be ruined.

Why is this not true for Snyder? Look, the Bears just gave up 2 #1s and a #3 for Cutler, not for the Broncos entire offense, but just for the QB. You want to bet that Cutler is going to be that much better than Orton or even Grossman? Bears fans are making a mockery of this latest change: they finally get a semi-respectable QB in Orton? They trade him away PLUS 2 #1s and a #3 which is almost as valuable (and a lot cheaper) for a looming headcase in Cutler. They're going nuts over there.

And you guys think that drafting a junior out of college to replace a 4year vet makes sense?

It wouldn't make sense on the best team in the NFL much less an 8-8 team!!!!

Having said that I still think that Campbell should grow a pair. He's a pro player. He's supposed to be a *little* stiffer in the face of competition than this. The ones who should be worrying are the #2 and #3 guys for the Skins. Or maybe not. Who really knows. Maybe the plan is to plug this guy in at #3 and let Todd whats' his name get back under center. Maybe so. But if that's the plan JC DEFINITELY isn't handling this right. Still no one with any sense would hand the keys to the Porsche to a #1 draft pick straight out of college, and if I was JC I'd play my game and just roll with it. He can't do any better than to just play his game and keep his mouth shut and let Snyder & Co drop their chips on the table and bet it all on the hole card.

Posted by: dubya19391 | April 23, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

DC in SD portis hasnt spoken up cause he's worried about Portis as usuall he is a warrior no doubt but he's not going to put his neck out there for JC its a sad reality I have asked the same question but snyder loves him and he dosen't want to ruin that.

Posted by: fboyd454 | April 23, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

jiacinto

excellent post

your right, we simply don't know the rest of the story and I do agree that JC17 should be given one year

I look at this like a bad relationship at some level. Once we make a decision to break up with someone, it's over and you can't go back

The Jay Cutler situation brought hard feelings and maybe it's just time to go in another direction

Snyder is playing with fire

but as a devoted Skins fan, I'm hopeful everything works out

but at the end of the day we need a QB who can take us where we want to go

can you or anyone really say that JC17 is that guy?

Posted by: snyderbandwagon | April 23, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Ok here's my theory: Snyder just can't be as dumb as he appears , he is after all a super-successful biz-man so he MUST be a very smart guy, right? .. So what IS the problem then? .. I think it simply boils down to he views the team as his toy & he's gonna play with it the way he wants & thats-that .. And he's got some PT Barnum in him too, loves the showmanship of splashy headline moves (and us fans are the "suckers born every min" ).. I just can't think of any other way to explain this farce that is 'skins front office ..

Posted by: RoidRage | April 23, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Okay football Einsteins, lets figure this out.
Zorn=West Coast Offense.
West Coast Offense= Short Passing Game.
Honestly ask yourself the last time you saw JC throw an effective short pass anywhere near the middle of the field. How about a swing pass to the halfback?
Gibbs brought in JC to throw the long ball ala Rypien. Gotta love those high arcing boomers. However, the only chance this can work is if you can pound the rock. This is why we got our arses handed to us in Baltimore, and at home against Pittsburgh.
West Coast QB's need lightning quick reading abilities and quick feet. This is not JC's strongest asset. I like the kid, but he is not fitting what the system demands. The lack of trading partners should make the point that our boy is missing his reads, or he is not executing.

Posted by: Krooz | April 23, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

..besides, I'll bet that you can count on one hand the # of QBs who were traded and did anything respectable on their new team. I can think of maybe Garcia and Warner, that's it. Historically teams don't let go of good QBs. Campbell may find himself at #2 this season but he's not going anywhere unless he can rustle up a good free-agent deal or a high pick. So his star may have peaked, at least temporarily, with the Skins. Fine. As the man says, Life isn't always a bed of roses. He can rest up, practice up, and be ready the next time. And that's assuming that he's even going anywhere. Stop the whining, Campbell, and play ball! Take care of your end and let the Skins management do what they are going to do on their end. They can't make you throw interceptions or take sacks.

Posted by: dubya19391 | April 23, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snyderbandwagon | April 23, 2009 9:59 PM

Exactly. I listen to the radio quite a bit when I can't get to the sports bar to watch. MANY times Sonny will talk about "he (Campbell) had BLANK wide open and could not find him"

The agent speak lends credence to Redskins moving JC as part of the Sanchez mating ritual. Gonna get REALLY interesting.

If we can get Sanchez and a number 1 this year(say from Jets, Bucs or Vikes) for Campbell, I say go for it. Wouldn't any 3 of those teams love to essentially draft Campbell, a proven NFL starter, in the first round this year?

BUT, you can't have both on the roster. And you shouldn't. If I'm Colt Brennan, I'm loving this. Sanchez comes in, those two compete heads up for the starting gig...at least to start the year.

Sanchez doesn't come in, Campbell is gonna be in tell Snyderatto to FO mode, and Colt is the front runner going into 2010.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 23, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it sad? This used to be fun. Snyder ruined it.

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 23, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

The real joke in this whole scheme is that, by making JC17 a lame duck before they acquire his replacement, the 'Skins have completely devalued him. If they think they are going to make up for the draft picks that they hemorrhage for Sanchez, they are in for a shock. Every team in the league now knows that the 'Skins need to unload JC17; he doesn't want to be with them, so why offer anything of value for him. Teams can either wait for him to shake lose in a year, get him for a bottom-tier draft pick now, or catch him on the market when his agent goes out looking to set up a fire-sale trade later in the year.

The 'Skins FO operates like a group of total amateurs. Every year they blow crucial draft picks like a drunk spending money at a bar with nothing to show for their extravagance in the end. There's no plan. Just a blind, mindless chase for pretty trinkets. I've seen 14 year olds run their fantasy teams with greater football and business acumen.

And the real, sad, tragic joke is that all us 'Skins fans buy into "just one more year" in hopes that the team will, somehow, turn it around. We pray that magic really does exist in the fairy dust The Daniel sprinkles on his deals. That maybe, just maybe, the FO knows what it's doing.

P.T. Barnum once said that there is a sucker born every minute. He must have been thinking of 'Skins fans.

Posted by: skinssox01 | April 23, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Snyderbandwagon--You're right that evidently this is a bad relationship, but I question how Synder, Cerrato, and Zorn have handled this situation. You're probably also right that, once they decided to get rid of him, there may have been n oboing back. If they really wanted to get rid of Campbell they should have done so after the season ended, not right now. And because the whole NFL knows that they want to dump Campbell Washington has no edge in trade discussions.

My only remaining theory is that, at some point, Campbell lost the support of the front office and the coach. Maybe it was the 2-6 finish to the season or maybe it was some other internal dispute that we have yet to fully know about. Or Snyder, Cerrato, and Zorn are wiling to write of the 2009 so that they can start over.

I really don't know. The team should be looking for linemen. Maybe they could trade Campbell away to get a few picks to bolster the line. But I doubt that Snyder is thinking that way.

I still think that the biggest problem for this team is that Snyder meddles too much. Given the team's mediocre record I just don't know why Snyder won't fire Cerrato. Eventually Snyder has to have a breaking point with him.

Posted by: jiacinto | April 23, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to see Jason Campbell get a boo-boo lip over the possibility of a challenge from a rookie, but hey, he's getting paid, deal with it. Dan Snyder's favorite QB will always be the next one. Look at it this way: you could be Colt Brennan. Or Todd Collins, stuck on a team coached by a guy who believes in squatting drills. Good thing you're getting all that cash, Todd.

About the draft: we've got for picks, right? Based on my review of recent drafts by top teams, I think we'd be doing well to get two players out of it -- one starter (with that 13 pick) and maybe a regular. I mean, the Pats, Steelers, and Giants don't hit them all, so why should we expect to?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 23, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"I doubt Tom Brady would look that greet behind our piss poor Oline. To even consider drafting a QB with the insanely horrid state of the lines on both sides of the ball just shows how completely out to lunch the front office is...QB is not our problem. Campbell will look LOTS better when he has even a mediocre to average line in front of him. Likewise, Sanchez will suck even worse than JC if we select him."

"Isn't it sad? This used to be fun. Snyder ruined it."

"The 'Skins FO operates like a group of total amateurs."

"Our Owner and Pseudo GM are just imbeciles who just don't get it. We have an opportunity to build this team up and they'll wind up squandering it away. Fine get Sanchez, he'll spend most of the season on his back or running for his life and the following year shell shocked like Patrick Ramsey is now. WHY? BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A LINE!"

"This is unbelievable. Going into the offseason, it was OL, OL, and OL. I understand that we picked up Dock, but there is absolutely nothing behind our aging starters, we have major questions at DE, and our LB corps consists of one legitimate player, with some decent potential. Since when did QUARTERBACK become an area of concern? Mark Sanchez has one season of college ball under his belt, with some hole in his game. I've never seen anyone smooth talk and interview their way up the draft boards so fast. Truly amazing. Jason is not flashy, and he's not fiery, and he's not got that 'face of the franchise' look, but he can win games if given the chance. How we managed to alienate a guy who many consider to be a plus for our club is beyond me. Some people never learn."

"NO QB could make it without the O-line to protect him, or the WRs to throw it to!
If we build around JC we could really have a chance in the upcoming years. Dump him and future draft picks for Sanchez and we've taken a huge step back!!"

"Excuse me???? Campbell has only truly played 1 FULL year and some change. And last season was with YET another new offense...with a banged up O line the latter part of the season AND no WRs except Santana. Who was he supposed to throw TD's with Santana and Cooley covered?

Yet our STUPID owner cannot even wait to see if this team can be good with "continuity" - something we have not had in far too long (maybe never). And if he truly thinks a QB who played only 16 games is going to come into the NFL and be a Matt Ryan he need serious psychological help!"

"We are an absolute joke. It's pointless being a Skins fan anymore. Snyder is an idiot who never learns, and burns bridges in the process - Lavar, Brian Mitchell, soon Campbell. Is he still claiming he doesn't get involved in personnel decisions? HA!"

"It gets harder to root for this team every year."

WORD...Did these posters hit the nail on the damn head, or WHAT?!

Posted by: ntlekt | April 23, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm no Redskins fan, but in defense of Jason Campbell each year he's had a new offensive coordinator. Never had the same offesne 2 years in a row.

For me, if the team is under 500, like last year's Skins, you start with the basics and get a home run running back. Clinton Portis sort of fits that bill. So then, you get offensive linemen, defensive linemen, TE's, FB's, and LB's. Focus on blocking for the run and stopping the run.

It is amazing. Once you can run the ball the passing game starts working pretty well, and if you can stop the run, you make your opponent one dimensional and easier to stop. It may not be a fancy formula for success, but it works more often than not. If you can run and stop the run, you win. If can't, you don't win.

Posted by: A1965bigdog | April 23, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

would someone plz bump dan snyder off so the redskins can win again???

Posted by: derek1992 | April 23, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

When the Redskins play against Jason Campbell and the team he leads destroys them on the way to the playoffs, deep into the playoffs, no matter what the team is I"ll be rooting LOUDLY for JC, kinda like that year when both Schottenheimer and Norv beat the Skins in one season.

Trading for Sanchez will seal the deal with my divorce from this team, and I pray they trade away JC and promptly go 4-12 or 3-13 this year.

Snyder must be the dumbest rich man to ever own a football team in the history of the NFL.

Posted by: pdfordiii | April 23, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

For all the Campbell supporters: Don't you think it is odd that a team will offer multiple draft choices for Jay Cutler, (who went 8-8 last year) but won't even give us a 4th rounder for JC17????????

I stand by my conviction that JC17 is an average QB at best!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see your response's.

Posted by: Vicc | April 23, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the Jets would be all over Campbell. In fact, they would of preferred him over Cutler when he was looking to get out of Denver.

Look what a solid O-line did for Eli Manning. He looked so hopeless in the beginning of his career but they stuck with him and it built his confidence

Posted by: sean-sean17 | April 23, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

To all obedient uniform rooting skins fans, get ready to buy Sanchez jersey. Its all about the money, Danny don't give a damn about what any of you loyal and obedient fans think. Its all about the money. How many jerseys can Campbell sell? Now ask same of Sanchez.

Posted by: abxinc | April 23, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Jets want Campbell?

lol

Posted by: Vicc | April 23, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

A NOTE TO DUBAYA19391: You're as dumb as name you use on this blog Campbell has been a stand up guy from day one and if Zorn had any credibility as coach he has lost it especially with this team.Synder has used this fan base like worn out toilet paper in search of a Super Bowl and he and his sorry excuse for a GM have time and again destroyed fan loyalty and team contunity. Campbell has had different coach's, offensive scheme's, and a serious lack of support from the front office anyone who thinks Sanchez is the answer is delusional what exactly has he proven? Instead of this team addressing its real needs(off.line,linebacker,etc.) they are once again playing fanatsy football draft but its fans like you dubaya and others who go along with this foolishness on a yearly basis that gives the front office the idea that they somehow are on the right track, unfortunately for this team and its fans nothing could be further from the truth.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 23, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanfrmbirth | April 23, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

So we now base the value of a qb based on what we can get for him? Other smart gms know how Snyder operates. Why give up a second or third rounder when if you wait a while you may get someone for practically nothing. Randy moss got traded for a fourth round pick so he must be garbage

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 23, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

For all these people that say they are not going to be Skins fans if they trade for Mark Sanchez were never Skins fans in the first place! If you are true fan, no matter how much you hate what is going on, you will always keep coming back.

I understand the hatred for this trade, but you have to understand that Campbell does not fit this west coast offense, and he never will. West coast is the best offense out there and many teams have shown us why.

Think about this, Zorn is not telling Danny "no" to doing this because he knows Sanches is a better fit for what he wants to get done. We have a decent offensive line and running game. QB is the last piece of the puzzle, even in our wins last year I never felt comforatable with JC. Half the sacks were because he couldnt make the read and held on the ball to long.

Campbell= long delivery, not accurate on short passes, but produces a good long ball that overthrows his reciever.

Sanchez= quick delivery, very accurate on short to medium passes, and decent on long throws.

I hate this becasue we will have to give up a draft pick to make this happen, but I would of preferred Jeff Garcia at QB over both for this year, but Sanchez could be are QB for the next 10 years. He has the "IT" factor.

Posted by: Justwantasuprebowl | April 23, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

QB's not the problem. Campbell has same #'s as Cutler except for TD's and # of times Sacked. Which no ones mentioned. Campbell's been sacked 3 times as often as Cutler.

Any QB is going to struggle with that O-line.

QB's not the problem.

Posted by: hailrskins | April 23, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

To KingJoffeJoffer:

Lol. Seriously. Randy Moss is not garbage and neither is JC17!

Randy Moss has hall of fame numbers...does JC17?

Posted by: Vicc | April 23, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

He obviously does not have hof numbers, but your like your previous statement about why he is an average qb does not make sense.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 24, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is putting up Hall of Fame numbers with our O-line...why not JC17?

Posted by: Vicc | April 24, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Vicc
Pass blocking and run blocking are two different things and the running game does'nt change every year

Posted by: sean-sean17 | April 24, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

good for you jason, nobody deserves this crap!

Posted by: kingtutts | April 24, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Don't go by Zorn's non-statements as any indicator of his opinion for or against either Campbell or Sanchez in this process. He was a backdoor pick to be head coach because he wanted an HC job so much Snyder and Cerrato knew that he'd butt his nose out of their business just to get a chance at the job. Besides, they had enough restraint administered to them by Gibbs and were ready for some free-wheeling fun. Zorn's puppy dog yearning to be something "more" than a QB coach was just the ticket for them. He's a pushover, and they are back in the driver's seat doing as much damage as a couple of college frat boys can do to a once-grand old franchise.

I've been a 'Skins fan for nearly 50 years and this ownership has been a disaster, worse than any in the past. I won't turn my back on the 'Skins (for fear Snyder will shove the knife in deeper), but sorrow and despair hang over me (as the old song says). I'll just pray that someone sues Snyder and the NFL for malfeasance, defrauding the public and abusing the public trust by trying to pass this Pop Warner operation off as a bonafide NFL franchise (sorry, all you Pop Warner teams out there, I didn't mean to drag your image through the dirt 'cause you're all better run than the 'Skins).

Posted by: skinssox01 | April 24, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

sean-sean17
I promise you defensive coordinators do not gear up to stop JC17. But they do load up to stop Clinton and Clinton still get's it done.

love your user name though. Sean Taylor was going to be the greatest safety of our era!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Vicc | April 24, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Vicc

You are right but to stop JC17 all you have to do is cover Santana and Cooley,his options are limited. I just don't want to wait 3 years for us all to find out Mark Sanchez can't do it when we have a decent QB going into his second year in the same offence.

Posted by: sean-sean17 | April 24, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Snyder and Cerrato are the worst things to ever happen to the Washington Redskins franchise, period. Those two regularly screw-up one train wreck after another. Do the franchise and the D.C. area a favor, sell it and move to Texas.

Posted by: w7dah | April 24, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Well done sean-sean17,

I hope I'm wrong about JC17, because that will mean he's better that I thought.

Posted by: Vicc | April 24, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Mind games people. Sanchez? No way Jose. I reserve the right to post a comment after the draft actually happens.

Posted by: BallsDeep | April 24, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Folks hopefully this is a smoke screen for sanchez so another team will offer to much to us to draft him. One thing I dont understand is I though JC and the FO were all on the same page if they werent why didnt they trade him sooner

Posted by: wattsicon | April 24, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

"Oh brother, this is really getting ugly. A trade will not land him a starting job thats for sure, Unfortunately we are his best chance for a starting position next season. Are you ready for some football"

Actually he'd have a good chance of starting for Minnesota, NYJ, or San Francisco... probably the Bucs too.

Trading up to draft Sanchez will convince many Skins fans that this team is dead until WE draft a new owner.

Posted by: mac2j | April 24, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 |

You forgot to mention that he didn't throw an Interception until week 7.

Or that, as the line took turns being injured, his production, as well as Clinton Portis' declined. (The lack of running game as well, leads to my suspicion that the O Line needs upgraded.)

Or that, he's been in this offense for almost a year now and the would-be Senior (Sanchez) will also have to learn it, learn the receivers, of which we REALLY only have Moss and Cooley, and get up to speed super-fast... After a fat contract holdout, no doubt.

Or that we drafted Cold Brennan last year for just this reason, right? How many first round QBs do we need? Are some gonna block?

Or that Snyder's track record is that of a Dallas plant, bent on destroying the Skins...
Remember how he did B Mitch?
Or when he cut Norv's kicker? Before he hired him back?
Or when he threw Brad Johnson out? Before Johnson went on to win a Super Bowl and the Skins Sucked with Jeff Fking George?

Snyder didn't become a genius overnight and neither will Sanchez. We don't need this.

I'm gonna switch to Philly, I swear. Their fans stink, but their coach and ownership are honorable.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | April 24, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

The more you know about football, the more you know you win on the line.

Spectators believe its the Running Backs or some Wideout that's winning games.

Idiots think it's the QB.

Snyder is an Idiot.

PS - We'll have this same conversation next year if the Skins draft Sanchez. I wonder who the next "Must Have" will be then. It'll be after they fire Zorn and Sanchez will be looking at learning a new offense... Again. Welcome to the Vinnie and Danny Show, Mark.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | April 24, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

2009: Draft Sanchez-- offense struggles--no playoffs--Zorn is fired
2012: New head coach--offense struggles to learn another system--no playoffs
2013: New starting QB--offense struggles as QB learns system--no playoffs
Should we continue

Posted by: pennstate1

I AGREE 100%.... GET YOUR CERRATO OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!! SNYDER MUST GO!!!! SNYDER MUST GO!!! BOYCOTT FED EX!!! WHAT FREEKING JOKE

Posted by: BarackObama | April 24, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

I've been a fan my entire life, but there's only so much I can take. These guys take it for granted that fans will stick around no matter how much they piss on everybody's legs and tell us it's raining. If they do this, I'm done. It's off to college football or maybe another team. I rode through debacle after debacle. I said, "The owner's trying and making mistakes, but he'll get it right." These guys run this team like a reality show. Maybe if this team pulls a Detroit and drop every game, then the city will begin the boycott and run Danny and Co. out of town. They might as well take this loser team with them, leave the name and get us a new franchise.

Posted by: noluvdr | April 24, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

What a fine mess you've gotten us into Vinolli.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | April 24, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Deadskins receiving corp sucks. Moss is a nice number #3 receiver but not a #1. Cooley is a nice middle of the pack receiving tight end but he ain't no HOF TE.
The rest of Deadskins receiving corp would have a hard time starting in arena football.

How many games has Nachos I am sorry Sanchez started? Has USC turned out a decent QB under their current coach? Maybe Palmer at least he had two wideouts that are/were head and shoulders above any Deadskin wideout.

Have the Deadskins since Sonny retired ever had a top QB? No they haven't and they won SB's! How many SB's did that fool Marino win? How many QB's sleected in the first round have won SB's? OR even played in an SB?

Deadskin fans your only hope is Danny Boy's wife catches him using his oral skills on his new QB and she gets the team in tjhe divorce

Posted by: sheepherder | April 24, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

WHAT AN EMBARRASSMENT!!!!

One school of thought; they may as well mortgage the team for Sanchez now because with all this, plus the Cutler fiasco, they've lost JC anyway.

OUR O-LINE $UCKS!! Take the best OL at 13, if JC isn't the guy, fine, deal him for a 3rd or 4th and move on, throw Colt in there and see where things are at next year. DO NOT TRADE ANY PICKS FROM NEXT YEAR YOU FREAKIN IDIOTS.

Posted by: kone | April 24, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Do you all realize that you are ranting against the FO/Snyder over a pick that hasn't been made yet? The Sanchez thing is a smokescreen. They are not going to pay QB money to a draft pick. They don't love Campbell, but no one else does either. Boo hoo. Campbell can play like an All Pro and make the Skins look bad next offseason, which would be sweet revenge. We all know that won't happen, though, because he's just not that good.

If they trade up (doubt it), it's to grab Curry -- possibly the surest thing in the draft and a guy that (mysteriously) no one on the Skins wants to talk about. As for the long-term QB situation, I've said this before: Colt Brennan is the answer.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 24, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The same clowns who fell in love with Campbell are the ones now in love with Sanchez. Three years from now, it'll be another...and another....and another...

Posted by: bundy44 | April 24, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Curry is a good choice, both Colt and JC deserve another year in this system and both deserve a shot at starting next season, the writing is on the wall though. "We expect daniels to fully recover" the RT job is "Heyer's to lose," they either want a LB or Sanchez. My other favorite line Snyder to Sanches, "you are going to have to beat out the qb's we have here already" doesn't say anything about JC17 being here. That refers to Colt and Collins, JC17 is gone.

Posted by: hakimallen | April 24, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Kenbeatrizz - any other organization and I'd agree with you but with the two azzclowns running this circus i doubt it. They couldn't organize a SMOKESCREEN if they were the Myrtle Beach Redskins.

Posted by: kone | April 24, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

JC17 will be a 49er, a team who is content to run the ball and have a QB not turn it over. But why would anyone give this disfunctional front office what they ask for. Any team that would give up a 2nd round pick for a 35yrold dancing star will not be taken seriously. Ha ha ha ... but truly it hurts.

Posted by: hakimallen | April 24, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Anyone notice the lack of drama surrounding the Skins when Gibbs was here again?

Now that he's gone, Snyder and Vinny are back in full force...have they ever made a good pick? Seems to me Gibbs found our guys (Sean Taylor, Cooley)

Posted by: ChillyWilly3781 | April 24, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

JC17 BELIEVE! The Danny is a total nightmare and is demolishing the burgundy and gold one year at a time. St. Joe needs to quit nascar and buy the team

Posted by: ajj123 | April 24, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Tell you what, why don't we all meet at the corner of Loudoun County Parkway and Waxpool Road tomorrow, and then we'll go march up the road and storm Redskins Park, take it over, put Danny and Vinny in a closet and run the draft ourselves. Just kidding, of course. But seriously, I don't blame Campbell at all for wanting out. Danny and Vinny have treated him like doo-doo. Any other team in the NFL wouldn't even contemplate getting rid of him this year. The obvious thing for the Redskins to do is to draft a big-time O lineman in round 1 and then either a DE or LB in round 3 this year, then see what happens when Campbell actually has 2 years in the same system for once. If he stinks next year, fine, don't resign him. There will be at least two quarterbacks in next year's draft who are as good or better than Sanchez that the 'Skins could draft with their high draft pick or trade up to get. But that plan is too logical for The Danny and Vinny. They'd rather draft a guy this year that's started only 16 games (and wasn't great in all of them, by the way) with a college team where he had the best talent around him and little competition in the PAC-10, throw him to the wolves and watch him struggle in 2009 (which the odds say will happen). And by the way, Sanchez had a few "character" incidents while he was at USC. What happens after 2009 when the offense struggles again? Are they going to throw Sanchez out? Or just fire Zorn and then put Sanchez in another new system. Danny and Vinny need to go. I'm sick to death of both of them.

Posted by: skinsfan213 | April 24, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Remember that cant miss quaterback coming out of college that danny-boy drafted with his cant-miss quaterback coach norv turner Heath Shuler end of discussion

Posted by: Turickskins | April 24, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Let me first say, this whole situation is frustrating and unfortunate. I think its difficult to determine how big the upside to Jason Campbell is, and I think that could be a rational explanation for moving on. He takes too many sacks, he doesn't read coverages well and he doesn't throw check downs. Maybe, everything clicks this year. But maybe not, and I think best case we're scoring 17 points a game and maybe winning by field goals for as long as he is quarterback. I'm just not sure JC17 skill set is suited to this offense. And yes, he did play in the "gulf coast" his senior year, but with Ronnie Brown and Cadillac in the backfield.

Sanchez could be in a "training wheels" offense similar to what Campbell played in last year (and what Flacco/Ryan had). He can be more focused on game management and not making mistakes and rely on CP and the defense. He could also graduate from this offense and open the field up. I think he has great potential and thats what has so many nfl scouts drooling over him. I think he has a bigger upside than Campbell.

This is not a justification, just a rationalization since we are going to have to deal with this BS from Snyder again. so .

Posted by: brian58 | April 24, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Sanchez could be a disaster if he is forced to start prematurely!! He seems to be the type of QB that should sit on the bench learning for a couple of seasons. He only has 18 college starts!! If he is forced to start his confidence will soon be shattered while getting mauled by NFC East defenses. Snyder is so enamored with Sanchez because of his "presence and charisma". If that is the case, there are any number of motivational speakers that could be a franchise quarterback according to Snyder.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 24, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Many on here threaten to give up the colors; as Ive said before, no one is stopping you but if you choose this path then be done with it and make sure its for life. No one wants you back when we finally reach glory (you know, sometime in the next century). As for the other disgruntled fans, join the REDSKINS RELOVEUTION -- dont buy any official merchandise or concessions inside FedExField -- sneak in your own beer and food (its easy) make your own redskins gear (fun and easy) or buy it used or just wear your old stuff but we must starve the beast. HAIL JASON #17

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | April 24, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I dont see how anyone who calls themselves a redskins fan can think this is a good idea. Even if you think Campbell isnt any good, How in the world are we ever going to get anywhere if we start over every 2 years.
This is a joke of an organization ever since Jack Kent Cooke passed away. Sanchez has proved nothing. He is definitely not a cant miss prospect. If they get him and he turns out bad, they set themselves back even farther. Why not give Campbell one more year to prove himself and build a strong team around him and if he fails, then go and get another QB. That QB would have a better chance to succeed because the team would be better. I'm sorry guys but this is ridiculous. If they draft Sanchez tomorrow, I don't care what else we do because were done for at least two years if this happens. Just because Matt Ryan had an awesome year last year doesn't mean sanchez will. Guys I hate to say this because i am as big a redskin's fan as anyone. The only way we can change this is to stop paying for merchandise, going to games, and supporting this owner who cares nothing about the redskins, but is more concerned with his ego....sorry for the rant.

Posted by: Redskins001 | April 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Sanchez has a greater upside, but are we prepared to live with his growth pains for the next 2-3 years behind an aging, weak O-Line? I don't think drafting a QB is our great need for the Skins, considering the holes on the O-Line, DE, and LB. In another year, we'll be looking at replacing at least 2 more lineman as Thomas and Rabach's age and play continues to decline.

Considering how Snyder/Cerrato already alienated Campbell, it's very easy to see why he would demand a trade. Who would want to be a lame duck QB for one year, knowing that they intend to start Sanchez? Not to mention how it would impact team morale.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 24, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

One of these days we will sign a GM. I really don't know when we will get our act together. Just because Sanchez impressed our owner at a meeting they want to move up in the draft to sign him. Are you kidding me. Lets make one thing clear. Snyder and Vinny don't believe in Cambell. They tried to trade, didn't work and now this Sanchez crap. We will we learn that the elite teames in the NFL build through the draft and not through free agency, and now we are getting ready to give up our 13 pick in tomorrow's draft and our 1st round pick next year for rookie quarterback. Im telling you right now. If we draft Sanchez tomorrow, we just set this back one year. WE NEED A GM ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: louloudekdek1 | April 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Unbelievable , only the Redskins could have a QB controversy in April. Crap OL, Crap receivers and a crap FO.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 24, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

A few people here recognizes one crucial thing about JC: HE HASN'T PLAYED IN THE SAME OFFENSIVE SCHEME TWO YEARS IN A ROW SINCE FRESHMAN YEAR OF COLLEGE!!! Name an elite QB who has been productive when every year there is a new HC, new OC, and a new system. I give JC credit that every season, his productivity goes up. Yeah, his throwing motion is slow and he gets too many sacks but he still improves every year. Put him in the same offense two years in a row and I can GUARANTEE you see a huge improvement.

But QB isn't a problem area.

Posted by: roscoemann71 | April 24, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

This is incredibly sad. We need a Dan Snyder support group just like other victims of prolonged abuse have.

I wish the redskins were a public trust like the Packers or we could elect to vote owners out every 10 years.

I don't think Campbell is the truth necessarily, but Snyder, for someone who's amassed such wealth, is ridiculously emotional and acts like a tween 'cause a guy has "presence"?????

We would never have the strength to boycott in numbers...but if this fantasy style mgmt continues that's probably what we need to do. This guy's gotta go...

Posted by: graywilson | April 24, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought..perhaps agents do whatever they can to suggest Redskins interest in their player in order to boost the players perceived value in the league.

If I were an agent, my first order of business would be to try to make it seem that the Redskins were interested in my player in order to use that as a bargaining tool.

I am hoping that is what is happening here.

That said, if the Sanchez trade goes through; then so am I.

Posted by: skinsfaninsanfran | April 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Look. Snyder sucks, so does Vinny. But you fans who talk about not rooting for the Skins anymore are fairweather idiots. Be loyal to something, no matter what, morons.

Posted by: mwalk1 | April 24, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I am confident that the FO, while dumb, is not stupid. Therefore, I am willing to put up a gentleman's wager that the Redskins will not draft Sanchez. Terms anyone?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Since nobody wants to say it, I will..Campbell is not a good fit for this team and it's about time management do something about it... Campbell is good, but not a starter. when the Skins/Joe Gibbs drafted Campbell for the future I was thinking Why?? Campbell was not in a passing system in college. His release is slow and mechanics are off. So, why not draft a promise QB from a good passing school like USC. But, I will be the first to say that the Skins should had handle this situation a lot better. If they would had dealt with dealing Campbell away right after the season, we probably would have Culter right now.

Posted by: taylormade218 | April 24, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Aslo, Skins are stil 10-6 regardless who the QB is...#1 Skins Fan

Posted by: taylormade218 | April 24, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are handling this situation perfectly. They are creating buzz out of thin air. There are 30 other NFL owners that wish they could manufacture this kind of offseason drama. I actually enjoy it, and you should too. Now, if they could just WIN...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

There are much more important needs at this time that QB. Depth is a concern. Both D-line and O-line needs an infusion of youth and talent.

Posted by: roscoemann71 | April 24, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

That's what I would want is a QB like Cutler who hasn't prove himself either. Look at the stats he has thrown more touchdowns than campbell, but way more interceptions also and campbell was sacked way more......but I would much rather have him than Sanchez. A guy who has proved NOTHING.

Posted by: Redskins001 | April 24, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade up to get Al Davis????

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | April 24, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade up to get Al Davis????

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | April 24, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

i agree with wilbon trade down draft cushing and loadholt...that actually makes sense.

Posted by: Redskins001 | April 24, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone checked to make sure Snyder isn't a distant relative to Jerry Jones..Something has to explain this.

Posted by: Redskins001 | April 24, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Good Job JC, total class. JC said nothing until the right time, and now he's sticking up for himself and his supporters.

Even a guy like Danny may think twice about having a Collins, Brennan, Sanchez(any order)depth chart.

I did notice that Cooley and Campbell jersey's are ON SALE at Redskins dot com. Uh Oh?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Calm down people! The Redskins do need an influx of youth on their O line, however that does not excuse the shortcomings in Jason Campbell's game. Jason can be a good quarterback but I don't think he will ever be a great QB because he is very mechanical in his movements and has a slow release. Remember this, all of you Campbell defenders, Matt Cassel(47 times) and Ben Rothlisberger(46 times) were sacked more than Jason Campbell yet they each threw more TD passes and won more games. Big Ben won the SuperBowl I do believe! Why is that? The difference between Jason and those guys is that they are playmakers! Being under a heavy rush does not deter them from locating secondary receiver's.
Everything around Jason has to be perfect for him to excel. The NFL today is a passing league and defenses are pressuring the QB. You need a QB who is capable of making plays in spite of being under pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather the Redskins stay at #13 or trade down. But fans please don't delude yourself into blieving that if we just get a great O line Jason will automatically be a great QB. I don't think so.

Posted by: wbjking | April 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I keep saying it over and over again - Daniel Snyder is playing Fantasy Football with real people.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 24, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't bash Snyder. Whatever he wants to do. He should do it. Its his team. He sells a package. So all these people who hate what he does or are frustrated with what the Redskins do in the offseason. They should either suck it up or find another team to cheer for. This is how things have been for years under this management so its not a surprise.

Posted by: renod1 | April 24, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

some people are getting the point here...Yes the Redskins need help on the O Line but I watched the games closely...Campbell is very slow in the pocket and yes some of the sacks he took were because he ran into block defenders... Jason has a good arm and can make all the throws needed but until he fix his release and protect presence he won't be anything more than a average QB.. Snyder and Vinny don't make since most of the time but its obvious that JC is not the guy...I mean QBs that were sacked more than him did much better like Big Ben...I watched Aaron Rodgers a lot last year and saw him consistently make plays under serious pressure similar to how JC was and we cant make the excuse and talk about how good Green Bay WRs are because JC missed a lot of open WRs because he was always locked on someone else first which was another huge problem last year...so yea O Line needs fix but its not to the point where no QB can have success under it

Posted by: tc200716 | April 24, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion, Jason has just signed his one way ticket out of DC. His response to the possible draft of Sanchez demonstrates that he doesn't have the confidence in his skills, experience and knowledge of the QB position to withstand a challenge from a possible rookie draft choice. To bad his agent is asleep at the wheel. Good luck Jason - you'll need it.

Posted by: wst444 | April 24, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone think that having a one year college starter as a QB is an upgrade over JC? Granted that he played for USC, and while they're a good team, they won a lot of their games in the Pac-10 playing teams like Washington (0-12) and Washington State (1-11, I think?). Just a thought.

Posted by: cnote_723 | April 24, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I find all this talk about non SEC playing Sanchez being a must pick by Snyder amusing as hell. I don't know, but hope, this is all smoke and mirrors. I do know that after being a skins over 40 years,(seeing the dumb stuff like hiring Marty Schott aka 2 runs 1 pass and punt)I will only be a Raven fan as long as this front office has the club. I'm out like W, DICK, and infamous TURDBLOSSOM ROVE. Hail Skins!

Posted by: jenksredskins | April 24, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of hearing about poor Jason being in a different system last year. He is a four year veteran. If memory serves, Matt Ryan ( rookie ) and Joe Flacco ( rookie from D1AA school ) were both in new systems last year and did not fare too badly. This bull is just another excuse for Campbell's lack of productivity. Inside the 20 he is terrible. Everytime the camera is on him he looks like a deer caught in the headlights. QB's are ranked by wins and losses, JC just does not produce. I am sure he is a great guy and is nice to kids, old ladies, and dogs, but bottom line is he cannot engineer a win. There must be a reason that no other clubs seem interested in him. Bring the rookie in and let him start and go with it. Better this than another agonizing year of watching Campbell not get the team in the end zone, and hear some excuses for him again.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | April 24, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I am so tired of hearing about how Campbell has been in different systems. Do the names Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco ( both rookies ) ring a bell. I don't think the University of Delaware or Boston College used the same system as the Ravens or the Falcons. This is just an excuse people have come up with to explain Campbell's mediocre play. ( Especially in the red zone.)Everytime the camera is on Campbell he looks like a deer caught in the headlights. If he wants a trade I don't think he will find the same sort of interest that Cutler generated.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | April 24, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dexmd06comcastnet | April 24, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure who's the biggest joke. Our front office or the Washington Post's coverage the Skins this offseason. Is this another "the Redskins will land Cutler today" kind of post? If the Skins draft a QB and Campbell does not ask for a trade, will JLC confess to being wrong, or will the anonymous sources, say "whoops, we we were wrong"? I would think you'd want to hear from the player or the agent about whether theyve demanded a trade. Writing an article about what someone "thinks" they might do "if someone does this" is ludicrous. I thought about what it would be like falling from the top of a 30 story building but I didn't do it. Basically, this is pure speculation until something more is said by someone who's actually involved.

Posted by: destewar | April 25, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

"Campbell Wants Out If Redskins Draft Sanchez"

Yeah well, the Redskins want out if Campbell can't put two halves of a season together.

It works both ways Jason.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 25, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

"The simple fact is the NFL is about winning,makes no difference how it was done or if it was pretty,just win and all is good!if not the QB will be replaced,that is the NFL...not just the Redskins but the whole league."

Well I guess the simple answer then, based on your philosophy, is the Redskins are a failure, because they haven't won much of anything since 1992.

Continuing with this simple philosophy is the blame falls squarely at the top - the buck stops there.

Which leads to the simple conclusion that Dan Snyder is a horrible owner.

Jason Campbell can walk away proud that he (and everyone else) is unable to reach his potential because of Dan Synder.

Posted by: lancer1 | April 25, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell has been a trooper so far this year with all the BS. But now demanding a trade if they draft a QB? Its a business you have to produce to earn props in the NFL get big contracts etc. I like Campbell but he needs to not demand a trade if we draft a QB. Play your butt off this year then tell Danny to pay up. I really dont think the skins have enough ammo to get Sanchez. I think we should trade down get more picks stack lineman and the the rest will fall into place. Gotta have the beef in this league oline and dline. Im a diehard fan for a long time who hates Cerrato and snyder. But what you gonna do? HTTR

Posted by: toyota44 | April 25, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I love these pathetic Cowboy fans chiming in about our pathetic owner? Get a life and post on your own Cowgirls site.

Posted by: toyota44 | April 25, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

The real funny thing is with all you people crying that your done as a Skins fan is we draft Sanchez start winning then you all jump back on the bandwagon. I know this is frustrating but either your a fan or your not. Honestly do you think Campbell is a franchise QB? Shows spurts here and there but has 8 good games this year and now demands a trade if we draft a QB? Get a life man who the heck wants Jason Campbell? If someone offers a 2nd round pick for him trade him .....quick.

Posted by: toyota44 | April 25, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Here's what my secret Redskin "sources" tell me: the trade up to get Sanchez is all about getting a new HEAD COACH in 2010!

think about it. What does Danny covet more than a sexy hot QB or WR? A head coach. He's got the big hots for Cowher and for Shanahan (and maybe others). He has gone out and talked to one or all of them and said,"Besides a gazillion dollars, what do you want to come coach the Redskins?" And one or all of them have said,"I want a franchise QB there that I can win with. And Cutler is my guy. If you can't get Cutler, I'll take Sanchez."

Danny has already axed Zorn; Zorn just doesn't know it yet and it won't hit until Jan. 1, 2010. Danny has already written of 2009. He's angling for a new coach in 2010, but what coach is going to want to come to D.C. with Campbell as the QB and risk his reputation? Sadly, the League has seen enuf of Jason to know that he is a competent backup but not a franchise QB. "Get Sanchez," these coaches say, "and I will seriously consider coming to D.C."

heard it here first, folks.

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | April 25, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | April 23, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, you're an idiot.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 25, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse