Campbell's Goals Against the Patriots

Jason Campbell met with the media Wednesday afternoon, long after he and his Redskins teammates had come off the practice field. For a quarterback of an NFL team, Campbell is incredibly laidback and affable with the throng that covers his team. But here, in the days before the Redskins' third preseason game, he appeared eager to jump on a question about whether he felt pressure after going 1 for 7 for 10 yards in just more than a quarter of play during last week's victory over Pittsburgh.

"It's everyone else trying to put pressure on me," he said. "Right now I'd say it's more negative than it is positive. Everyone talks about 1 for 7. Come on. There's games when I've been 20 for 23, almost, in games before. One-for-7 is something I'm definitely not concerned about. We [were] trying out some new things. Everyone was saying, 'You never go downfield.' Well, we tried to go downfield twice. We didn't connect on them, but at least you put the fear in the defense that you will go downfield. You have to continue to keep doing it."

Campbell, it seems, is hyper-aware of the discussion surrounding his performance, even before the season starts. Friday night, when the New England Patriots visit FedEx Field, comes a chance for him to at least temporarily quiet his critics. What would constitute a success against the Patriots?

"Just go out there and execute," Campbell said. "We want to score points, of course. That's one of our goals and things that we want to do, but one thing for us is to go out there and just get into a rhythm. We really haven't played a whole lot. First game played maybe 10 plays. Last week was one quarter. Put together a 14-play drive but didn't finish it. Would like to finish those, but it was a great defense we went against, and to have a 14-play drive is a positive sign."

Campbell's answer acknowledged that the Redskins' first-team offense hasn't yet scored a touchdown in the preseason. Friday, they'll get their most extensive chance. Coach Jim Zorn said Campbell and the regulars will almost certainly play the entire first half. The offense will then be turned over to second-year man Colt Brennan and rookie Chase Daniel, who are battling for the No. 3 job. Zorn said veteran backup Todd Collins likely won't see time against New England.

Because of their limited playing time thus far, Campbell said the first-team offense --which played without top receiver Santana Moss and leading rusher Clinton Portis in the exhibition opener against Baltimore -- hasn't had the opportunity to get in a rhythm. What, he was asked, does a rhythm feel like?

"Getting some throws under your belt, getting some completions," he said. "It's kind of like getting into a flow, whatever you do. Getting into the flow of a game. You just feel like you're not even thinking about things, because once you get yourself going, whatever it takes to get you into a rhythm."

With the starters likely to see only limited time in the final preseason game -- Sept. 3 at Jacksonville -- the New England game would seem to be the most important of the exhibition season for Campbell.

"If you notice, we said that going against the Carolina Panthers [last year] and we got thumped, big-time," Campbell said, remembering a 47-3 shellacking in the penultimate preseason game a year ago. "We couldn't do anything. And we started the season off 6-2, so it's hard to say that. But definitely you do want to come out and play hard, because we're going against one of the premier teams in the National Football League over the last couple of years, and it's a great test for us, an opportunity to see what we can do."

For the preseason, Campbell is 4 of 13 for 48 yards with neither a touchdown nor an interception, good for a quarterback rating of 43.1. Daniel, who made his pro debut with a 6-for-8, two-touchdown effort against Pittsburgh, leads Washington quarterbacks with a 134.4 rating. Collins (13 for 20, 109 yards, no touchdowns and one interception) has a 58.1 rating, while Brennan -- the incumbent third-stringer -- has struggled at 7 for 17 with two interceptions, a 17.7 rating.

Those numbers, Campbell believes, are meaningless, because they have been accumulated in August. But he knows that the scrutiny of his performance

"I think with the defense that we have that we will have a lot of opportunities this season to get the ball back," he said. "And when you get the ball back you want to take advantage of those. You want to put points on the board."

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 27, 2009; 7:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quarterback Race in Capable Hands With Zorn
Next: Suisham Gets the Nod -- or Does He?

Comments

1st!!!

Posted by: mardiros | August 27, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

our inability to get the ball into the endzone will once again yield a disappointing season. 6-10.

Posted by: sjw1 | August 27, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell at a press conference must feel like Howard Dean at a healthcare town meeting.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 27, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure JC17 is smart enough not to read RI and have to endure all the criticism he gets here, but I'd say to his comments, Right on, Jason. I'm glad to see he still has the confidence to lead the team, and while I admit his accuracy againt Pittsburgh (and on deep balls last year) needed improvement, I think he'll get better throughout the year. Hopefully a good outing tomorrow to quiet the critics....

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 27, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Granted JC may be affable and laid back, but I really think he needs to set some higher goals than to just go out, execute a few plays, maybe score a few points (or not) and get into the rhythm of a game. He could just as easily accomplish these mediocre goals by staying on the sidelines and dancing with the Redskin cheerleaders.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 27, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 |

Yeah, incidentally I'd like to see Campbell let out a primal yell like Dean's!!

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 27, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Vick is gonna cause problems. He's looks good so far.

Posted by: will_ga | August 27, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

His throw looked good & he seems to be quick. How he holds up, we'll see.

Posted by: will_ga | August 27, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like FireJimZorn/HireMartyS/whateverhisnameistoday got booted again. Or it was bedtime. Either way, WaPo is gonna have to just run him from RI on sight from now on. Good riddance.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 27, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if you guys can see the McDonalds ad for the hot fudge brownie sundae at the upper right, but all I can say is: OK McDonald's, you had me at hot fudge. See you guys later.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 27, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

If there was a single player who read RI on a regular basis I would be shocked. Probably plenty of Redskins employees, but I can't imagine a player except maybe someone checking after JR told them they were profiled or something. Maybe I am totally wrong on this though.

It makes me think of a contest: if you had to guess which players were actually regulars, what would you come up with? I haven't come up with much thus far, except me as equipment manager and towel boy.

We just need 1 more player to keep to draft schedule - sign up with Nate if you are interested (I think it is not quite full)

Zornskins

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 27, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone is missing this, all_star_0013 is the same pos(t)er that we all want to get rid of. Here is the rule everyone:

ITA, report abuse.

It bothers the pos(t)er to change accounts all the time. Protect the site by just reporting the abuse.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 27, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

And by the way: It's safe to say that anyone using "that link" is the unnameable pos(t)er.

And remember our own Redskins QB history: Doug Williams was a washed up backup until the end of the 1987 regular season. And he caught fire. It can happen anytime, and Campbell has the tools...

If Campbell can't do it now, he'll never do it. Let's give him a chance though.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 27, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

This is like a bad "Moebius Wormhole" episode of Star Trek..

Posted by: frak | August 27, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Pos(t)er: all_star_0013

Bye bye!

Posted by: hithere1 | August 27, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

its bedtime!

Posted by: mardiros | August 27, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree Frak - this sucks. Why can't WaPo control it's own site?

Sigh.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 27, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

How about using more than one QB more frequently? As it is, the defenses plan quite effectively for the starting QB and schemes. What would be the disadvantage of playing Todd, or Chase for a series here and a series there? It is nothing against the starting QB, it is just a scheme thing. How about ARE in the backfield?

Coach Zorn, we just think the offense is too predictable. What is the down side of variety?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 27, 2009 7:09 PM

I second that.

Posted by: abxinc | August 27, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

"ITS_NOT_OVER"is an a^^holio shapeshifter and a 'Girls fan...I'm not buying anymore products from the state of Texas, ESPECIALLY Hewlett-Packard..That's "Bush Oil, Inc/Electronics"..Remember that scandal where the HP execs were all caught spying on each other, with electronics and bugs, etc.?? That kinda 1984 attitude can't be trusted from the top down, F*** HP..

Vick hasn't lost a beat, looks like..

Posted by: frak | August 27, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

All right folks, the moment you've all been waiting for...Scamp's daily Newsradio clip...enjoy!

...this ain't no spam posted by a mentally unstable person that can't stand normal people trying to enjoy some Redskins stuff eithr.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up on posts but...

Why can't Marko Mitchell be considered for the #3 spot?

JC can talk all he wants about how he's under no pressure, but it shows on the field...always has. Sure he doesn't throw many interceptions but he doesn't take chances either. He looks like he's pressing and unsure...but who am I...I's just a Middle school Principal

Posted by: rickyroge | August 27, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Following the Iggles/Jags game via the game tracker. It's acting a little funny, but is still providing moments of really excellent schadenfreude. Such as the Eagles having 1st & goal from the 1, McNabb fumbling at the 8, and Jax scooping it up and taking it 92 yards to the house. Currently 14-3 Jags. Philly fumbled again and the Jags are 3rd & 7 at the Philly 31.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until after the first half is over tomorrow night and the Wapo sports writers are busy writing their stories and thinking up new excuses for the inept one JC. I am approaching this season hoping JC sucks so bad that Zorn will have no choice other than replacing him. The problem is Zorn doesn't realize that he should be replaced now.

Posted by: theBozyn | August 27, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I really dig Jason as a person and I would love to see him succeed. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening here. His own tendencies, his personality, the Zorn system, the suspect O-line have conspired against him. Watching the game right now would anyone not take Byron Leftwich over JC17 in a heartbeat.

To be an elite QB, you have to be able to make something happen with your arm from time-to-time. This is not JC's strength. For a while last year, particularly in the Saints game, I thought I saw flashes of it, but then the indecisiveness and tentativeness returned. It gives me no joy to say this, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that JC just doesn't have "IT"

Oh, and by the way,

MistaMoe, you funny.

Posted by: rgj21 | August 27, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

JASON:

Please ignore us. We don't get the opportunity to play because we weren't endowed with superior athletic abilities, and thusly, we don't really get it. We're just guessing unless one or two of us have actually played some NFL ball. And right now, no second guessing is allowed. But in the off season, reflect and remember, no one but yourself can quiet sharp criticism and that by performing in a superior way on the field in 2009. Good luck.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 27, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree Frak - this sucks. Why can't WaPo control it's own site?

Sigh.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 27, 2009 8:03 PM

DITTO !

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

"Now, on to the topic du jour: Campbell. I think he'll be fine this season. I remember many people doubting that Eli Manning was a franchise QB before and even during the beginning of the Super Bowl season - he did not have spectacular numbers; Tiki Barber was saying he was not a leader; he had not won many big games; etc."

I might contend that Eli isn't a franchise QB even now, if only I could figure out what a franchise QB was...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 27, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

KEVIN BARNES:

This post's for you. I saw GREG TOLER today playing safety for the ARIZONA CARDINALS. He's looking good and apparantly is doing quite well out there. He's the guy I wanted the 'SKINS to draft when they picked you. Never forget a member of the REDSKINS draft entourage screaming in the background " No,no, GREG TOLER."

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 27, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Regarding JReid's statement on the previous blog that the Redskins think Colt has to much "swagger" - huh? Thought their biggest complaint about JC was that he does not have swagger.

It's like Goldilocks....nothing satisfies.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Marko M have one more good outing before we start annointing him the #3 receiver.

So...maybe Saturday morning?

Posted by: edvar | August 27, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a eagles update ?

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

14 play drives are fine and dandy, but what about the 4-6 play drive? Campbell's good for 1-2 long drives a game, but he needs to show he can mix in the occasional short drive highlighted by 1-2 big plays. Too many opportunities for bad things to happen over the course of a 14 play drive. As bad as he's looked in the pre-season and as average as he will always be, I'm sure he'll be no worse than last year, and maybe even a little better. If the D is all world and the running game is effective, the Skins could have a Titans-esque season.

Posted by: saqster | August 27, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

The seagulls are losing in the third 17-12

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The seagulls are losing in the third 17-12

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:00 PM
Good info.

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Let me as RI a question...

Why do people think the Eagles are a "model" organization?

If they are such a "model" organization, why haven't they won a Super Bowl?

Would I trade 10 years of mediocrity for for annual playoof appearances...hell yeah, but at some point you gotta close the deal.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 27, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the sh!tb!rds are a model organization. They choke everytime they get anywhere, their QB is a whiny little b!tch, and their coach is gonna die of a hambone lodged in an artery at any time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Vick looking well so far...I'm watching the 1st QTR now on DVR.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Let me as RI a question...

Why do people think the Eagles are a "model" organization?

If they are such a "model" organization, why haven't they won a Super Bowl?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 27, 2009 9:03 PM

Hmm, let's see. Maybe because they don't over pay players and there owner doesn't think he's a coach.

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Vick looking well so far...I'm watching the 1st QTR now on DVR.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 9:09 PM
If only DANNY would have just pulled the trigger. The real question is. Would you prefer Colt or Vick. The money should be around the same right.

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

If Marko Mitchell has another good outing tommorow night I don't see why he can't be considered for the number 2 spot. He is one player who looked like he has "it", at least he did last Saturday.

I'm glad to see Malcom Kelly still healthy.

Was Pittsburgh's returner Logan that good or do our coverage teams need to pick it up?

Our first string offense needs to score some points tommorow night and I don't mean field goals.

Marcus Mason is a better runner than Ladell Betts.

I want to see JC have a good game tommorow, I want to see JC have a great season this year, but when you still see the same negative traits that you saw last year, the year before,...... well....?

The Patriots beat the crap out of us year before last; come on Redskins come out with the same fire and intensity you had last week and lets bust the Patriots in the mouth, and even though its preaseason, beat these MF's and make Tom Brady wish he was somewhere doing a photo shoot for GQ.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

How many Lombardi trophies "hithere"?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 27, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 9:12 PM

Really? That's a model organization? That would be the Cincinnati Bengals.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 27, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is getting booed and jason peters looks worse than jansen in pass protection. Of course this is preseason and it means nothing but it's still fun to watch.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 27, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I've been part of RI from the beginning, in different names over the years since 2005. It pains me to say it, but between spammers that can't be controlled and JR's "filet mignon" updates, this blog now officially bites.

The Redskins have done at least one right thing in the last year - hire a guy named Matt Terl as their official blogger. It's better than this stuff, for sure.

Later!

Posted by: hithere1 | August 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

If Campbell struggles again tomorrow night, he's going to get the hook in game four. He can say what he wants, but I think his confidence is shot.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 27, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

All JC/JZ quotes until the passing game comes together = "Wah wah wah wah wah"

I'm a great listener, guys, but I hear with my eyes...

Posted by: p1funk | August 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The game on Fox has been stopped due to weather. Can't beleive the Eagles, Jags game wasn't broadcast instead of Dolphins, and Bucs. What's Vick doing?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:09 PM |
--------

right on Scamp, I think you can also apply that to the Cowgirls. I have my own bones with the Redskins, but I will never sell out. You have to peel off Burgundy and Gold from my dried out corpse. Our fans who consistently suck other teams balls just confuse the heck out of me.

Redskins or death!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 27, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I thoguht that was pretty stupid too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Campbell's quote:

"...There's games when I've been 20 for 23, almost, in games before..."

Do you brag about your statisitics when your completion rate is high because you throw passes 6-8 yards downfield or complete a lot of 'smoke screens'?

A quarterback in a short passing system bragging about his completion rate is like a 7-foot NBA center hyping up his slam dunks on midget players.

Note to Jason: fans, like chicks, love the long ball.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I have one thing to say to JC, stop giving interviews to the media at this point (if allowed) there is nothing to say at this point. The haters will be haters and the rest of us will judge the play over the season.

Besides, you are stressed, man from the way you sound in these interviews. When you you have something to say, it will come out of you naturally. Right now it seems like you are trying to say the right thing with the right tone, etc, etc. F the media, practice, play go home hang out with you kids/wife/girlfriends etc.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 27, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Vick or Colt ?

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Campbell would play better if Zorn would start challenging him/demanding more production. Campbell is such a pleaser. He would play better if he thought it was expected of him.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 27, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

At fan appreciation day Chase D. ran for a TD, diving for the pylon at the corner of the endzone. That's the kind of play you like to see a QB make, just playing and going all out to make plays and win, not playing to not make a mistake. Let's see if he can duplicate or improve on Saturdays performance.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

fans, like chicks, love the long ball.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 9:28 PM

Well played, Moe, unless you're just pimping your buddy Romolongballs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 27, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

MistaHoe,

speak for yourself

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 27, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Jason Peters has not seemed that impressive for a supposedly awesome tackle. At least not yet.Wonder what Dockery thinks about him?

Posted by: will_ga | August 27, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"Why can't Marko Mitchell be considered for the #3 spot?"

I'll take credit for being one of the first bloggas on the M Mitchell bandwagon.

But I also think he must earn the spot at 3rd receiver and not have it given to him.

I'd like to see some offensive sets featuring M Kelly and Marko flexed wide with Moss and Cooley working underneath.

But for that to happen, Marko must show he has it when the real bullets are flying.

No real player wants anything handed to him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"Would 5'10" versus 6' really make a difference? What's the cutoff on "too short"?70 inches versus 72 inches: that's about 3% shorter. I'm not sure how to calculate how much worse that makes your field vision, but it's got to be in the single digits, percentwise, I would think.
But what if your brain works faster, you go from seeing things to releasing the ball faster, you react faster, and you've got nimble feet? Surely, if you're better in these areas, then at a certain point that overcomes the height problem. . . .
Posted by: farstriker"

Sure. It's a disadvantage, not a fatal one. But IMO in the NFL a QB who's 6' doesn't have much advantage on somebody who's 5'10" because they're both too short to see easily over a bunch of 6'5" linemen. On the other hand, a QB who's 6'4" has more of an advantage over a 6'2" QB, because he really can see over the line better than the shorter man.

You notice that a shorter QB like Flutie was a lot more effective out of the pocket than buried behind his 0-line.

The spread offense that you see in college really makes things easier for the height-challenged.

Posted by: Samson151

I recall watching a game a few years back and Esiason was the analyst. And he made a comment that went something like this "I just noticed something, This QB has trouble seeing over his lineman."

And it made sense, the QB's eyes were below the shoulder pad level of the linemen. The QB he was talking about ... michael vick

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Vick ran for one yard on his lone rushing attempt. He completed all four of his passes for 19 yards, flipping the ball forward twice to rookie tailback LeSean McCoy and throwing a screen pass to wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Vick did have some zip on one pass, a 13-yard completion to wideout Hank Baskett.

Donovan McNabb, after starting the game at quarterback for the Eagles, sometimes lined up at wide receiver with Vick on the field at quarterback.

By Mark Maske

--------------

This is the kind of mixing up I was talking about earlier. Redskins need to add a ton of crazy formations and confusing plays. That's is a Joe Gibbs affliction that has stayed with the Redskins. No gimmick plays.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 27, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"Well played, Moe, unless you're just pimping your buddy Romolongballs."

Thanks for the compliment.

And I pimp for no man.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight, the sh!tb!rds have a LeSean and a Desean? That's straight tard.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

They have a Sean too. Tard.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Marko Mitchell be considered for the #3 spot?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 27, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse
Hey ricky, I think that is entirely possible... inside the 10, MKelly and Dthomas wide, Marko in the slot, Sleepy and Coooooley at TE. Empty backfield.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 27, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Vick or Colt ?

Posted by: hithere0 | August 27, 2009 9:31 PM

Vick easily....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

This team needs more playmakers who can score or make something happen.(Portis,Moss,and Cooley alone aren't gonna do it)Strike some fear in opposing teams and make our team exciting to watch again.

Somebody who can make something happen, also in the return game.

As of now, I see potential in M.Mitchell, M.Mason, and D.Dorsey, and C.Daniels, we'll know more after tommorow night.

Lastly, Zorn needs to mix things up and add some wrinkles, gadgets, unpredictable personnell packages etc. to the offense. The offense is too traditional and predictable.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Vick or Colt?

Give me a break.

Vick has been to Pro Bowls and won playoff games.

As far as I know Colt has never thrown one pass in an NFL regular season game.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Wes Welker v Santana Moss

Who do you take?

(no, you can't take Moss with T Brady, sorry)

Still confused?

I say they are even, no matter for what the numbers say:

'08 Moss Rec 79 YDS 1,044 AVG 13.2 TDS 6

'08 Welker REC 111 YDS 1,165 AVG 10.5 TDS 3

Maybe the 22 catch difference lies in how they are used.

What helps Welker is that teams watching R Moss deep cause space to open for Welker to expliot.

This suggests that perhaps the best use for Moss is at the slot where his punt returner skills and speed sets him free to work underneath.

That's why the development of either Marko or Kelly is important: their big frames working deep should open up the field for Moss and make the 'who do you pick' choice easier.

In my mind, if Moss is used like Welker, maybe you can say they are both just as producitve.

Or the same.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 27, 2009 9:41 PM |

Why? The Eagles are losing 32-20. How much did they score off the "crazy formations and confusing plays"? Sounds like it confused them more than the Jags.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 27, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse
I agree, Samson. I do not like lil bro. RedSkinHead had a definition that I really like earlier today:

Put aside all of your stats about Campbell's low interceptions and his QB rating. Statistics can be skewed in just about anyway preferable to make a specific point. A good QB has leadership skills. He holds the players around him accountable and he holds himself, most of all, accountable for the things within his power to change. He leads with a passion that is contagious. He makes the players around him want to play better, not because of sympathy, but because they see he holds himself to those higher standards. Look at JC in the huddle. You get the impression this is a guy who whispers in the huddle. Look at his words in the media. Is there an ounce of passion there?

Compare Campbell to Steve McNair. McNair almost won the super bowl with his will to win. Compare Campbell to Farve (the young one, not the old one). Could you imagine a two minute drill where Campbell was yelling players into position?

There's a saying about timid versus aggressive: "I'd rather tame a tiger than goose a mouse." Campbell is a mouse. The Redskins need a tiger.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 27, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Until I hear a better definition, I'm going to stick with RSH's thought.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 27, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

72redskins

I've already penciled in C Daniels as the 3rd quarterback.

And if things are going bad in week, say, ten, why doesn't he get a shot to start seeing how both Collins and Campbell should be jettisoned in the event of a collapse?

I'm just saying.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Moss probably would be feared more in the slot than outside. And his speed and running ability would create huge mismatches against LB's and safeties, but as you say Moe it would be inherent on the development of M.Mitchell, D.Thomas,and or M.Kelly on the outside.

He would virtually be unstoppable, and A.R.E. would be dispensible( trade for a tackle?) since his days of returning punts are already over.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"14 play drives are fine and dandy, but what about the 4-6 play drive? Campbell's good for 1-2 long drives a game, but he needs to show he can mix in the occasional short drive highlighted by 1-2 big plays. "

Thats another thing..Zorn and Vinnie want to play long drive, time-consuming ball-control ball with the dink and dunk WCO, which is not what Campbell was drafted for initially anyway..He was drafted to be the Second Coming of Doug Williams and the Gibbs smashmouth offense..Todd Collins , Colt, and Daniel all seem better suited to the WCO than square-up Jason the Howitzer..Zorn inherited Jason- not his ideal choice, I'm sure..I support Jason, but he's been overcoddled-I want to see Chase Daniel..

Posted by: frak | August 27, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

DEAR JASON CAMPBELL,

MOST OF REDSKINS NATION SUPPORTS YOU AND IS BEHIND YOU 100 PERCENT. WE KNOW YOU WILL DOMINATE THIS YEAR.

THAT IS ALL. CARRY ON.

SINCERELY,

BARNO AND FRIENDS

Posted by: Barno1 | August 27, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

All I see here is a QB who offers a never-ending series of excuses and just doesn't give a damn -- and whose only real goal is to get out there and pick up another paycheck. The sooner he is gone, the better.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 27, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Confusing plays from crazy formations with all sorts of motion=700 page playbook. No thanks.

And I have my own pimp-cane, thank you.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

If there are so many people on this blog that don't think JC has it, then why did we rip the FO for thinking the same thing.....hmmmmmm?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 27, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

talent_e,

I think the Eagles used too many confusing plays, etc.

What little I saw on NFL network, it was like every other play, with Vick coming in.

Doubt if that'll be their standard operation mode in the regular season, but who knows. Hell let them confuse themselves to a loss every week for all I care.

On the flip side, we hardly EVER do anything unorthodox, just basic personnell, basic formations, basic traditional type plays, Zorn needs to throw more curve balls, give defenses something else to have to plan for.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

y'know, frak, I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel and MMitch in with the first team tomorrow to see what they can do against talent, but #17 is the starter on 9-13.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

JC knows he'll get paid the same this season -- win, lose or draw. He also knows that barring a major miracle, he won't be back here next season -- except perhaps in a visiting team's uniform as their 2nd or 3rd string QB. But in the meantime, he'll still cash all his checks -- and laugh all the way to and from the bank. Hence, JC ain't bothered (really don't give a damn) about scoring, moving the football, completing passes, managing the clock, or anything else that might be associated with winning.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 10:11 PM |

To be fair it was the first season for a new bunch of coaches with a new offense for the players. It pretty much had to be basic. I expect it to be a little more intricate this year. Next year would be the whole offense implemented (provided their is a next year for Zorn.) And I hate to say this but I agree with Frak. As a matter of fact, I said basically the exact same thing yesterday.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 10:11 PM

----------

Curveballs?

Did you say "curveballs?"

Heck, when you don't have a reliable fastball, what makes you think you'll be able to sneak anything else by anyone?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 27, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

72, I'll be interested to see what Zorn mixes in this season, his second. I'll bet it's a hell of a lot more interesting than last, but not the delay-of-game fest that Saunders paraded out there.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

ChiaCurveballs. I like it!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

They've also shortened the field in front of him to 10 yards or less, moved him out from under center and set him back at shotgun to take longer snaps, kept in extra blockers to give him even more time to read the defensive line rush and decide when to throw the ball away, and generally continued to tolerate his dim witted and slow footed mediocrity for five years now and counting.

And now they're telling him to ignore the critics? Yeah, he may as well do that too. He's ignored everything else that's fundamental to winning football.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 27, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

If that was the Skins out there on either side of that 6-3 dogfest, this blog would be flipping out.

Posted by: farstriker | August 27, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Chiafuzzballs, chiafurballs

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

LOL!, yeah I guess you've got a point Chia,
and Scamp I agree,we can't be as basic this year, we are too easy to defend, would like to see Daniels with the first unit, but that won't happen, we'll have to settle for seeing him do his thing with the scrubs. I shouldn't get too excited over a first performance but- I like Chase Daniels.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 27, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Yah, love me some Welker.

Be it Brady, or Cassell last year, much of the YAC we see Wes rack up are a result of the ball hitting his hands in stride while streaking through the slot.

Agreed that the potential exists for Moss to be utilized in the same fashion, that the emergence of Kelly is a needed, missing ingredient in Santana the weapon being more fully exploited.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 27, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | August 27, 2009 10:21 PM

Hey Red,

Why don't you tell Vic1 about the Saints and Arizona games from last year? I don't think he knows about them. And BTW, if #17 had a sh!t ton of come from behind wins we wouldn't be debating. But when a poster claims he's NEVER done it, those games have to come up. The early Dallas and Philly games weren't too bad either.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 27, 2009 10:29 PM |

..and better able to catch the ball while staying healthy. Both have been a problem the last couple years.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

What we don't hear is how Welker thinks he's a "security blanket" for Tom Brady.

Jeesh.

Pass the binky.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 27, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys WR Roy Williams out 6-8 weeks with broken collarbone. Aww...breakin my heart.

Posted by: will_ga | August 27, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:30 PM |

Actually he's done it more than that. The problem was that the D gave the game back. I think the Rams game last year was one of those.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 8:18 PM

That was seriously funny. Actually you passed muster. Just barely on the sane side. :)

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 27, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

"Moss probably would be feared more in the slot than outside."

That's the general theory.

The best receivers--in terms of guys who are tough to cover and match up against--are in the slot.

Not every team can but A Johnson out there like the Texans, but most could put a shifty speed type guy in 'trips' and 'bunch' and 'double slot' sets like the cards do with Boldin and Fitzgerald and rip a secondary a new a-hole.

Of course, it helps to have a quick thinking, accurate quarterback for that to work.

Hopefully, tomorrow Mr Campbell will quiet his critics by showing that he is one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Jeesh.

Pass the binky.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 27, 2009 10:31 PM

A good Oline is a security blanket for Brady.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 27, 2009 10:33 PM

I've been posting a new one every night. Sort of comic relief to the insane troll spammer.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:32 PM

True, good call. Hopefully that is a thing of the past.

Moe, Moss in the slot with two 6'4''ers on either side sounds scary good to me. Those three with a burner like Thomas added in a 4 receiver set...and then we still throw a WR screen. Balls! Was getting excited for a minute there.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 10:34 PM

One? As in one for seven again?

Just kidding. Yeah, "The" one.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 27, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

...and a solid GM is a security blanket for the Oline?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm out.

returns to the pleasure arrogant Yankee blogs where all the talk is about winning the World Series and giving the world a pin-striped azz to kiss.

The return of real football news means mistamoe's lame, unfunny, Uncle Tom posts have no place in the RI world of skinny, no azz twerkin asian chicks--not that the accidental woodie it causes doesn't satisfy.

Some will cheer Moe's retirement and ask that his name be placed at the top of one of those Obamacare death panel lists.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga

No kidding? I bet T.O. might find that just a tad bit ironic. That is going to hurt them...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 27, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

heh heh. GNTP! (goodnight to pam)

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 27, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 27, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

F***in PFT & Florio's unconfirmed BS stories. Now he says maybe not broken after all.At least going to NBC hasn't changed his pathetic reliability.

Posted by: will_ga | August 27, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga

Too bad we don't play them until november.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

You have a choice - continue to make excuses or show us you are a gamer. It doesn't take a "hater" to see you just aren't bringing it right now.

Posted by: laserwizard | August 27, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Zornskins is an undercover Dallas fan...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Zornskins is an undercover Dallas fan...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 11:11 PM

poolman/FIREJIMZORN is an undercover Zornskins.

Posted by: dcsween | August 27, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 4th. I am actually an undercover Bengals fan on the AFC side. Dallas? God, no. I think after 2 yrs of ending up with sjk Cowboys, I haven't learned my lesson: demote every Cowboy as far as possible in the autopick stuff, because everyone else is doing the same and probably more so apparently.

I am assuming our FF league is the JV again. That said, I thought that Nate, Efunk, 4th, Zeke, and whomever Kook is look like the going in favorites. My recievers suck etc.

Play ball! happy to be off the plane, sorry I missed livedraft

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 27, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

laserwizard hits submit and then throws a trashcan across the basement.

Posted by: mack1 | August 27, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I got the second to the last pick in the JV league ... and got Antwaan Randel El. Is there no love for that guy?

Posted by: dcsween | August 27, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

poolman/FIREJIMZORN is an undercover Zornskins.

Posted by: dcsween | August 27, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Sween- you know I don't have the dedication to be either poolman, or the much more energetic video guy. Nor the bile.

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 27, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

... My recievers suck etc. ...

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 27, 2009 11:22 PM

Don't get me started on my LBs and Safeties ... I just can't get them on the field ... maybe hamstrings or something.

Posted by: dcsween | August 27, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Incomplete diagnosis for Roy Williams
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 10:56 PM ET
A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that X-rays on the collarbone of Cowboys receiver Roy Williams were unexpectedly negative.

Multiple sources tell us that the initial diagnosis was a broken collarbone. One source tells us that Williams himself told multiple teammates that the collarbone was broken.

For now, Williams has gone home for the evening. He'll ice the area, and the team is expected to conduct an MRI on Friday.

We apologize for jumping the gun on this one. We assumed (ass-you-me) that the information was based on an X-ray, and it's our fault for not ensuring the proper degree of clarity.

So it's good news for Williams and the Cowboys.

Unless the MRI shows a break.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

"I also don't know how the coaching staff could make it any easier for him -- as they've over-simplified even the most basic plays, while trimming the play book down to about seven basic plays: run left, run right, run up the middle, screen left, screen right, short slant in and short slant out.
But even after all that, JC still can't pass and still can't run, and he certainly won't ever be able to move the chains, rally the team or score points. posted by Vic1"

I don't think they simplified the offense because Jason couldn't grasp it. I imagine they simplified the offense because the line couldn't block well enough to execute it -- particularly the passing game.

I can't think of any evidence to support the notion that Jason is either 1) dumb or 2) slow-footed. He's no gazelle, but he's made himself into an effective running QB.

Maybe Vic1 was just ventilating after a bad commute. There's certainly no substance to his remarks.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 27, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Redskins or death!

Posted by: peaceful200

That's not peaceful...

That's hateful

I'm thinkin'

Posted by: cool_calm_and_collected | August 27, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sorry, Jason, but preseason games do establish TRENDS. You may have every excuse in the book, but you haven't even been remotely sharp on any throw. You could be throwing to Hall of Fame players and they couldn't catch some of your throws. I've been a fan of yours since the start, but I'm tired of your excuses and your lack of leadership. You are a milk toast, unmotivated wave rider. You aren't a commander of the field - you are someone looking for someone to carry the team and for you to then catch fire. Keep up this game of prefacing your performance this year with baggage from others and you'll be a non-Redskin next season and I won't be sad to see you go.
Jason, shut up, and start showing us why you deserve to be a Washington Redskin quarterback. You've had the best protection possible this preseason and you look like you are being stormed by the U.S. Army. Get over yourself and whatever baggage you have on your shoulder about how the FO has done you wrong. After seeing you this preseason, you are proving Cerrato and Snyder right. posted by lazerwizard"

More vitriol. Lots of opinion and nothing much in the way of substance. I can see why the other players are advising Campbell to ignore this sort of criticism.

After reading this, I'd have to say that lazerwizard is proving them right.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 27, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Redskins or death!

Posted by: peaceful200

That's not peaceful...

That's hateful

I'm thinkin'

Posted by: cool_calm_and_collected | August 27, 2009 11:34 PM

It's better than Redskins and death.

HAIL & goodnight!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

The JV league is competitive....There are some good teams, but Nate did some funky stuff as commish...

Zornskins - Great RBS, but agreed on WRs...

I didn't even need to pick up a TE..

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't argue that!!

HTTR and goodnight, too!

Posted by: cool_calm_and_collected | August 27, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

How about some fine youtube, for a change?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 27, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Gone 2 bed! HTTR

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 27, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I would also start Kelly and Thomas at X and Z and Moss at the Y.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 21, 2009 12:08 PM

He might be easy to cover split wide. But in the slot, he can be moved around to multiple spots...

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2009 9:55 PM

MistaMoe and I agree on this and JC.

Satan get cho ice skates.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 27, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful200

That's not peaceful...

That's hateful

I'm thinkin'

Posted by: cool_calm_and_collected | August 27, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

-----------

oh! oh! you are thinkin?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 28, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 28, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

JV league is where its at: me, 4th, sween, redskins willie, psp23, zeese....wow its gonna be fun, getch your popcorn ready..

If my two stud RBs rebound (SJ/LJ), I will rule.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

er i mean zeke

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry.

I know I shouldn't.

You thinkin'?

Just thinkin'.

Posted by: cool_calm_and_collected | August 28, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Nate has to fix our league. Just realized during the draft that you can only have 1 K and 1 D/ST. Thing called a bye week. So either you have to cut your picik or go without. Gotta fix that.

And for crying out loud, how Zornskins winds up with romo 2 years in a row ... he is a darn traitor

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 28, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

And fwiw -- I'm looking to trade Manning. The Manning you'd want. Peyton. I'd like something in a good RB in return. Though a top WR would be of interest as well. I'm willing to be creative. And yes Nate, that means you with your Carson Palmer, who has 4 games vs the Steelers and Ravens 'D'. Manning is a major upgrade ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 28, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

cL, you did put together a really strong team.

Zornskins ... I'd trade some WR talent for some RB talent, but you're RBs are from philly and dal ... unless you want to toss Adrian Peterson my way ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 28, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Marcus and Marko are getting in to a rythm.Portis will not be in football shape by Sept.13.He will require many spells in relief by Betts,despite Mason's continuous efforts.How do you cut Mason?I would love to see him in the backfield,you need a young hungry unproven back on the roster.Confirms my opinion that running backs are a dime a dozen.For instance,if we had no quality,proven starting Tailback on the roster at the start of camp?"No problem mon",Edge James,Deuce McCallister,Fred Taylor,Sammy Morris,Warrick Dunn,not to mention Marcus Mason and Betts who are already on the roster.

Posted by: mark65 | August 28, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Hamster league, my apologies for effing up the roster settings... will set it right this weekend. Looks like a good league, anyway, so cheerio and all that...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Good NewsRadio clip, Scamp. Per usual.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 28, 2009 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey, did I mention that I'm seeing a home game this year? This will be my first since 2002 or 2003, can't recall which.

My boss is sending me to the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) conference in Baltimore at the end of next month. (NIEM is an XML standard used by various government agencies to streamline data sharing. Being the small-government type, I have mixed emotions about it, but we do a lot of state IT consulting and we used it on one of my last projects.)

Anyhow, the conference is only 3 days, but Mrs. Freakzilla and I are going for 10 days and visiting family and friends before and after. My company's paying for my travel and travel days, so I only have to take 2 days of vacation to swing the whole thing.

My dad & I are going to the Week 4 game vs. the Bucs. Got tickets in section 142, right-side 45 on the Skins side, 4 rows from the top of the lower bowl. Should be awesome seats. Hope the weather is nice.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 28, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

That is awesome, zilla!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Trust me if JC does not play well Friday he will b cut and TC will start the season with CD and CB backing him up TRUST ME!!!!!!

Posted by: akprotv | August 28, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: akprotv

akprotv...TRUST ME, stop posting...trust me

Posted by: ronjon629 | August 28, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

With fans like u guys,who needs the opposition. real skins fans die w/ whoever in burgundy & gold. u retards would vote for health care that would cover Canada and all of South America.

Posted by: charlesmakal | August 28, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Later!

Posted by: hithere1

You're still an idiot. Goodbye idiot!

Posted by: all_star_0013 | August 28, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse