Campbell's reaction to Allen hiring

Just caught up with quarterback Jason Campbell, who was not available during Thursday's open locker room and bolted from Redskins Park after practice to do some Christmas shopping. It's late (or early, depending on your perspective) and I'm spent, but I figured I had at least one more post in me.

Campbell was surprised about Thursday's big news -- the resignation of Vinny Cerrato and hiring of Bruce Allen as Washington's new top football official -- and eager to see what comes next. For the team and himself.

"Just understanding the situation, what we've gone through this season, you knew there were going to be some changes made," Campbell said. "And you know there probably are going to be some more changes made as far as everything continues to develop. Now, you've got a guy like Bruce Allen coming in here who's had great success in Oakland and Tampa Bay. You know he's going to do what he thinks is right to move the organization in the right direction."

Signs point to Mike Shanahan becoming the Redskins' next team president and head coach. The Denver Post on Thursday reported Shanahan has been in discussions to join the Redskins. As of early Friday morning, Shanahan and the Redskins did not have an agreement in place, a source with knowledge of the situation said.

"I'm sure he's going to make the best decisions he can for the franchise in everything he does," Campbell said of Allen. "I'm sure he's going to try to make everything go in the direction he feels it needs to go. He's going to examine a whole lot of things, personalities, character and whatever he feels will be important for our team moving forward. His résumé speaks for itself, he's been successful, so he's going to make the type of decisions that helped him be successful in the past.

"As far as myself, I'm just going to try to keep playing at the highest level I can. I don't know what my situation will be, I don't know what's going to happen at the end of the year, but I can't worry about those things. I can't worry about the things I can't control, like where I'm going to be playing and what's going to happen at the end of the season. I just want to finish the season strong and get a few more wins."

By Jason Reid  |  December 18, 2009; 12:24 AM ET
 | Tags: Bruce Allen, Jason Campbell
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: And the Redskins' next coach will be ...
Next: Allen's 'people skills' leave an impression

Comments

Mayor! Gettin' it done in the wee hours!

Posted by: daggar | December 18, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

"Cerrato will remain with the Redskins as a Snyder consultant"

I know this sounds like a typical PFT troll post, but click on the link. It's for real.

Can anyone explain this one???

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 18, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 18, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs remained as a "consultant' as well, which means they have dinner once a year.

Why Shanahan?

Posted by: edvar | December 18, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

One other aspect of Cerratos departure is the possible impact on JC. If the Redskins decide that want to keep him, Synder can always claim it was Vinny's idea to pursue Cutler and Sanchez. It would be a way for the FO to mend any broken bridges.

Posted by: lifelongfan | December 18, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Ryde, thanks for the link. By that article, it's a done deal.

Shanahan has won ONE playoff game since Elway left. Meanwhile, he's banked millions. Did you see the 10,000 sq ft mansion he was building in Denver? What a palace.

I'd rather see Russ Grimm, or another HUNGRY assistant on the rise take a shot. And if - whoever is our new coach becomes President of the team, that means they will out rank the GM. Don't like that arrangement at all.

Like I've posted before, we DO NOT need a rock star coach. We need a up and coming hungry guy.

I really hope I am wrong about this...

Posted by: edvar | December 18, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain this one???

Posted by: JohnnyRyde

That's a typical scientology move by vinny... dirty little secrets

and don't tell me it's a religion, do some research and find out for yourself

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 18, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Has Florio always been this much of a Dbag? Does he direct this kind of smarmy crap at other teams too?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I really hope I am wrong about this...

Posted by: edvar | December 18, 2009 12:55 AM

Who is the up and coming coach?

I hire people and it's hard to ignore a resume and see the future when there are so many talented people interviewing for a job.

I guess it's always better to be lucky than good....

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 18, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Has Florio always been...

1) he's a lawyer
2) in WVA
3) blogging for a living

I'd claim he lives in his parent's basement, but apparently it's a "root cellar", whatever that is.

Posted by: daggar | December 18, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Here is what I expect/want to see next:
Sign Jason Campbell to a 3 yr, 15 million dollar contract.

Posted by: piyusharora | December 18, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Here is what I expect/want to see next:
Sign Jason Campbell to a 3 yr, 15 million dollar contract.

If he does well next season, then restructure that contract big time. I want this guy to make more money than any other QB in this league. Dude is straight up a class act. My God, I feel blessed to have him as our QB -- as gay as that sounds lol.

Posted by: piyusharora | December 18, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: piyusharora | December 18, 2009 1:34 AM

It's easier than that. He is an RFA, tender him an pay him under 4 mil next year and if some team wants him collect the draft picks.

That's the move to make.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 18, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

michael wilbon says:

If I was advising Campbell, a restricted free agent, I'd do my best to convince him to get the hell away from the Redskins...

i agree with michael 110%...if i was campbell when the final whistle blows during the last quarter of the last game of the season...i would have a private plane ticket in my bag and i would say goodbye to my friends on the team and the people i respected and i would be gone!!! the first call i would make is to my agent and the first thing i would say is "any team but the REDSKINS homey"!!!!! and it would be the skins lost...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 18, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

"Cerrato will remain with the Redskins as a Snyder consultant"

Can anyone explain this one???

Posted by: JohnnyRyde

Pretty simple actually. It makes the transition for everyone smoother. Spreading money around keeps people happier and quieter. I'm not sure Bruce Allen should be happy about it, but the reality is that Vinny does a better job of identifying talent than Bruce Allen has done. Allen builds better teams however.

I mean, I'd pay to see Vinny standing in an unemployment line, but it isn't going to happen.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

on the Campbell front, I think Bruce Allen will keep him. Just a hunch.

If I apply logic, it goes like this:

Allen has brought in guys like Garcia and Gannon ... and won with them -- even when everyone else thought they were mediocre. I can see Bruce Allen looking at Campbell and seeing a late bloomer. Rich Gannon looked like Campbell for much of his career, and became an MVP late in his career. Wouldn't surprise me if Allen looked at Campbell and saw another Gannon.

Of note, I could find only 2 QBs drafted that Allen might have had anything to do with (out of over 100 picks!!), neither QB has done anything of note.

Lastly, its not like Allen has a lot of better choices at QB than Campbell.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

I ordered Domino's last night. The delivery boy was Vinnie Cerrato who had the wrong house. 5 minutes later, another delivery boy showed up. It was Larry Michael, who delivered a cheese and I had ordered a pepperoni.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 18, 2009 3:36 AM | Report abuse

getitritegov,

That was funny - made me laugh. But the reality is Vinnie and Michael probably have millions in the bank - makes me cry.

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 3:54 AM | Report abuse

...Thanks Jason & WAPO for the great coverage of this monumental story...now maybe we have an exec who will actually work with the media...

Posted by: bobfromeaston | December 18, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Denver Post reports that "there are a few details to be worked out" before Shanahan signs on as coach of the Redskins. They go over the Shanahan-Allen connection:

Most interesting tidbit is why Tampa Bay traded a seventh round pick for the retired Jake Plummer: because they could recover up to $7 million of his signing bonus under his contract. In the end they reached a settlement and got $3.5 million.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Most teams have there head coach and GM work together to pick players. I'd much rather have that be Allen/Shannahan then Vinny and anyone.

I think MS would do a good job here, but will see he can't do much worse.

Allen will start knocking off big contracts right away Portis is gone ARE is gone. AH will stay because he's younger and has some upside.

JC will be tendered so he will either play for the Skins or we will get draft picks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 18, 2009 2:39 AM |

ronnie,

You don't know much about what a RFA is do you, they can't just say I'm going to another team hence the word Resticted. JC has no power the Skins will tender him an offer, if another team wants him then the Skins can take draft picks and let him go or they can match the offer. Schools out!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Reading through today's WaPo stories and their retrospective take on Vinny makes me think that the differences between Cerrato and Allen are on the order of the differences between Bush and Obama.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

league,

I think Vinny is more of a scout, where Allen is more of a manager type. Allen is more suited to be a GM, but Vinny was way over his head in that position.

Allen will need a good scouting team around him, because I don't think he is a great judge of football talent. There are GM's in the league who can't judge talent, but still do a good job building a team.

He should move Morroco Brown to assistant GM and if Shanny is the coach he will have some say as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 6:21 AM | Report abuse

No matter who the next HC is, its a good day to be a fan of the Washington Redskins! "Ive been down so Gawdamn long, it looks like up to me"

And Dan Snyder has taken a huge step towards being out of my dog house by

FIRE(ing) VINNY!!!

I hope the door hit him in his big bug eyes on the way out.

CYA SARGENT ANTONELLI!!! And good riddance!!!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | December 18, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Only thing JC17 should be worrying about is where (and if) he will be playing next season. And frankly, I don't care where it is, just so long as it is not in Washington. The sooner this loser is gone, the better.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 18, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I do wonder. If Shanahan IS the new coach, does it make it very likely that Portis WILL stay????

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 7:28 AM |

No Shanny got rid of Portis in the first place no love loss there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Be careful what you wish for in Mike Shannahan. I'm a Broncos fan and love Mike. But the last three years the Broncos kept falling apart. Shanny had COMPLETE authority on football decisions. The owner wasn't meddling in his decisions.

I think the smartest thing Allen can do is get Snyder to understand they need to rebuild. Let Zorn finish his contract. Start dropping the overpriced and under-performing vets. Build a good pool of draft picks, and frankly stop hemorrhaging money.

Posted by: blemt | December 18, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato will remain with the Redskins as a Snyder consultant"

Can anyone explain this one???

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 18, 2009 12:26 AM
------------------------------------------
My best guess on this whole "remains as a consultant" thing is the team has to pay out a contract anyway, so this just keeps the person on the roles so they cannot seek out a job with another team. Vinny may not have been great at what he did with the Redskins, but I am sure he knows lots of things about the Redskins that other NFC East teams would love to know. I view this as a sort of non-compete agreement.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

redskin,

Agreed,

Danny knows that if even a hint gets out that Vinny is doing anything related to GM duties the sh_t will hit the fan.

He will keep him on the payroll to keep him quiet.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

ronnie,

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 6:14 AM
------------------------------------------
I wouldn't say JC has "no power". A player can always refuse to play. Under the tender offer, there won't be any contract restrictions on practicing, attendance at team meetings, etc. If JC truly wanted out of Washington, he would have his agent work a deal with another team - obviously something less than the RFA terms - and then propose to the Redskins a "sign and trade" scenario. No team will give up a first round draft pick for Campbell, but they may be able to settle for something like a 2nd rounder in 2010 and a 3rd rounder in the 2011. The Redskins would sign Campbell to a contract - with no signing bonus so they don't get dinged under the cap - and then trade Campbell for the picks. There was much discussion around this with the Julius Peppers situation but, in my opinion, Peppers played that hand poorly. Never let it be said that a player under contract has no leverage. Look no further than the Jay Cutler situation to see that a player can, indeed, influence a trade.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

"No team will give up a first round draft pick for Campbell..."

Besides Jake Locker, who are the top QBs that are coming out in '11?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: blemt | December 18, 2009 7:38 AM
----------------------------------------
Part of me wants to agree with hanging on to Zorn. I call it the "nice guy syndrome". Zorn is a nice guy and everyone would like to see him make it as a head coach. Frankly, though, I think you have to look at Zorn's body of work and evaluate that. He can't win. Even when his team is playing inspired football, he still can't win. There's something missing in his total coaching repertoire (I think it is maintaining discipline and holding his players accountable) and I don't think he's going to develop it in the next year. The team played well when he first arrived - something I call the "Joe Gibbs Hangover", but after the aura of Joe was gone, the guy couldn't win. Can't win. Won't win.

As for Shanahan, I have mixed feelings, too. I think he can field a winning offense, but I don't remember anything truly remarkable about his defenses in Denver. If he is smart, he leaves the defense alone. Blache will retire. Gray is the obvious replacement and Gray will keep the same system.

Shanahan is a disciplinarian. I love it. The team is in sorely in need of someone who will call out a player when they do something wrong and will run them through the ringer until they have corrected the problem. In this, I feel either Shanahan or Gruden would be upgrades.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

How many people saw Dan showing Vinny the door? How many saw Allen being the GM? How many saw Gibbs coming back? No one which is the reason I believe Mike Shannahan will not be the coach. I think it will be someone that we didn't see coming and that includes the media.

Posted by: jm220 | December 18, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Thought you might be interested in BRUCE ALLEN's body of work in the first round.

RAIDERS #1 picks while BRUCE ALLEN was with the org. 1995-2004.

OL = 3
RB = 1
QB = 0
WR = 0
TE = 1
DT = 0
DE = 2
LB = 1
CB = 3
S == 1
K == 1
P == 0

13 choices in nine years. Multiple first round picks in '98, '02, and '03.

Picking a kicker in the first sounds shaky. Still he has a propensity for..........O-LINEMEN and CB's. Yes-s-s-s!!!!!! Three each, topping the list.

2004-2008 1st round picks for the BUCS while ALLEN was GM.

WR = 1
RB = 1
OG = 1
CB = 1
DE = 1

Again an O-lineman and CB in the five. This is promising.

Of course, the REDSKINS needs will be different, but it's nice to see he's not afraid to draft offensive linemen.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

jm,

That could very well be none of the big NFL insiders had even a hint of the Vinny stroy. They also didn't know anything about Allen until yesterday morning. Dan has done a good job keeping that out of the media. Shanny could be a little misdirection.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | December 18, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

RUSS GRIMM would be nice.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

What's up with all these Mike "Shanahanigans!!"

Posted by: SKIN4LIFE05 | December 18, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

glaw,

The kicker was because they lost two very important games in the years before that because of the kicker. In Oakland Al Davis has a big say in who is drafted so we don't really know who made any of those calls.

The kicker he drafted however is still with the team, and he is one of the best in the league.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Yep, CP26 gotta go. Hopefully the next coach has the testicles to do it.

Cancer in the locker room. Distraction on the sidelines. Idiot in front of microphone or camera. No show for off season conditioning, pre-season practices and exhibition games. Excused from most regular season practices and game days.

Tiresome, boring, over the hill and a waste of a roster spot.

Get rid of this loser already!

Posted by: Vic1 | December 18, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

No team will give up a first round draft pick for Campbell..."

Besides Jake Locker, who are the top QBs that are coming out in '11?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 8:01 AM
------------------------------------------
If there is a team that could thrive with Campbell at QB, I would say Minnesota would be at the top of the list. They have a good offensive line, and a strong running game which means the QB doesn't have to carry the team on his shoulders. Still, I think the Vikes still see Tarvaris Jackson as the next QB. He has looked good in spot duty and I think sitting for a year behind Favre is just what he needed to iron out some of the wrinkles in his game. I think they would be interested in Campbell as an insurance policy, but they wouldn't give up a first round pick for an insurance policy. This is just my opinion, but I really can't see any team giving up a first rounder for Campbell.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

2004-2008 1st round picks for the BUCS

didn't the bucs have to send the Raiders 2=firsts, and 2=seconds to compensate for getting chucky??

I think, as a Redskins fan, you've got to be happy about this...BA is gonna take the last 3 games as a jumping off point, then probably go back and review the whole season...this is a good move...it was long overdue for a new perspective...

If I'm him, first thing I do is retire Samuels, and cut RThomas...time for a new era on the ol...Jags drafted 2 tackles on their OL, and its time for the Redskins to follow suit...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: blemt | December 18, 2009 7:38 AM

Oh yeah, oh yeah, rightous post with or without ZORN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Yes they did which is why they had to go more to FA's, I think BA will do a good job he needs to keep the good scouts he has and let them build the draft board. He also needs to build a team which is what Vinny couldn't do. Vinny could scout talent but had no idea how to build a team.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I can't remember for sure, but didn't CP and Shana dislike each other before they parted ways? If Shana comes here, that would quadruple the chance he gets traded/released.

Posted by: REXskins | December 18, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

rex, IIRC,it wasn't a case of like/dislike, rather a case of Mike believing in his system. CP was complaining the 2nd year of his rookie deal, and Mike knew that he could take just about any RB, plug it into that system, and they'd gain what CP was gaining....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"Honestly, I could see the Vikings giving up a first round pick for Campbell. Campbell is better and will be better than the QBs that are coming out in the upcoming draft."

Red, you must be the vikes GM.

I don't think they'd drop a 1st rounder for him.

But I bet the vikes, panthers, rams, browns, niners, seahawks and bills look at the draft, look back at Campbell and say: "Why not?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Of course, this is only if Shanahan is in. Keeping Zorn, he's gone of his own volition. I don't think any other coarches would want him, at that price anyway...

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 18, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

2004-2008 1st round picks for the BUCS

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 8:23 AM
------------------------------------------
I am for drafting the offensive tackles. I think Allen should be try to get as many young players in for auditions as he can for the rest of the season so he can enter the offseason with a bevy of prospects. Right now, the practice squad is filled with players picked by Vinny: wouldn't that fact alone make you want to review the players on it? There are a couple of receivers on the practice roster that I would send away and maybe bring in a tightend and a safety. Yoder is getting older, and if the new coach likes two tight end sets they will need some more depth. The team needs a free safety and my thinking is they should just find the fastest free safety free agent available and work him. Have you noticed how many big receivers there are out there? couldn't you take one of those guys - one who at least played defensive back in high school - and convert him to free safety? Troy Brown played defensive back and wide receiver for the Patriots...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Here is kinda all you need to know, from a guy who knows a thing or two about this franchise, and who knows a thing or two about building a team:

"I think it's a terrific move, I really do," said Beathard, who had heard about Allen's hiring only moments before via a phone call from Sonny Jurgensen. "I know Bruce and I think a lot of Bruce. He works well with people, he's a smart guy, he's a listener. As long as he doesn't get interference and [ownership] lets him do his job, I think that was a terrific move by Dan."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't think they'd drop a 1st rounder for him.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Moe, could definitely see all those teams maybe willing to go and get Campbell. Maybe not for a first, but if the Redskins tender Campbell, does that mean teams have to give up a first for him?

And if I were, the Vikes GM, then that mean my boss would be named Zygi Wilf, and that would be awesome.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"I think knee jerk reaction of letting CP go is a mistake. A salary re-work is necessary, but given what happened this year, he'd accept in order to get a chance at redemption here."

So do you think Allen says, "Contract dump, no matter the cost or player."?

I get the sense Portis knew this was coming which is why all his interviews are about his being willing to move on.

'Cuz like him, I think that's what best.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

If it is Shanny he will run the ball he spits out 1000 yard backs, his problem was always on defense. I think as long as he gives the defense to a good DC whoever it is Blatche, Gray or a new guy the team should be fine. I think JC could be a good fit for his offense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Red

"...but if the Redskins tender Campbell, does that mean teams have to give up a first for him?"

Great reason.

I can't answer it.

But given the new GM, who knows what he'll see.

Again: I'd take Campbell's medium range passing game, add a speed back, right tackle to it, and make a run next Fall.

Allen might say, "I want picks and I'll move Campbell for less than what I'm required to accept."

That'll change the entire dynamic.

Again: this is all going to be very interesting.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 8:55 AM

No they don't. They can negotiate with the Skins a compensation that is suitable to both sides.

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

This Shanahan news is pretty disappointing. I mean, based on age alone we will probably have to change coaches again in 5 years. Maybe they will just try to plug in Shanny Jr. Overall, not too excited about this part of it.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | December 18, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

moe, I think that BA will soon realize that all the change, the constant change was one of the factors that damned this team/franchise....kind of the better the devil you know, versus the devil you don't....JC can be kept for short money, and if Shanny becomes coach, is somewhat familiar with the WCO...versus dumping him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: frediefritz | December 18, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Moe,

If we're uncapped next season, I do think some Vets will be dumped - because long term it makes better sense.

I mean, if a play isn't performing but is still costing you money, why not spend the money and get someone who DOES perform? An uncapped season would allow for that.

I think it's pretty clear what I believe about Portis. He was doomed before the season started. He's the sacrifice. It's a standard ploy and it worked.

Are you telling me Portis WOULDN'T want to play for Shanahan? I don't think he'd stay here out of a desire to play here, for us. But to work for his old Coach, sure.

Are you telling me if he did light it up a bit next season, you'd still hold a grudge?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 18, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 7:28 AM

He'll try and trade him for Champ Bailey and a #2.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 18, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Say goodbye Jason.. you need to find another team and the Skins need to bring in someone who can win. But I do hope they give Colt Brennan a shot at it. Only 3 games with JC left...

Posted by: sovine08 | December 18, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know anything about Mr. Allen or Mr. Shanahan, so I can't speak intelligently on either of them. However, I really, really like all of the Russ Grimm talk.

As much as I love the following, I think it's time for them to go:

Randy Thomas
Chris Samuel
ARE
CP (unless he makes an attitude change and shows up to practice...he's the Allen Iverson of the NFL..."practice? we talkin' 'bout practice!")
Smoot (love ya, but you're getting burned)
Carlos Rodgers (unless you're willing to make him practice with the WR cadre...he can't catch)

I would hope that we keep JC for continuity. It seems as if there is a strong chemistry between him and Fred Davis...and the 2 TE set sounds awesome. Get another QB (in the later round) to groom and give JC three years. If he doesn't pan out, you will have given your upcoming QB 3 years in the system, versus a new QB as a starter.

Draft a solid O-line, first and foremost...draft a DLB, and move Orakpo back to where he played best. Keep Haynesworth, but make that man work out to stay healthy!

Put a HUGE muzzle on D-Hall (no more interviews for him, please), move LaRon back to SS, and get a FS...then teach the 2ndary how to tackle (wrap the guy up vs. trying to be the next Sean Taylor...newsflash guys: ST tackled as well as he decimated guys).

I don't know if Mr. Shanahan is coming here, but if he is, PLEASE bring Champ back with you!

Have a great Redskins day!

Posted by: HailDemSkins | December 18, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

michael wilbon says:

---

Much as I feel the need to be critical of my hometown team, Wilbon (as always) should STFU. What if the franchise is trying to improve things behind the scenes? What if the Skins are able to offer him a better deal than other teams - which would keep him in a city that he loves (albeit with a team that's made his playing time difficult)? The grass isn't automatically greener. Good thing for us Campbell isn't a bitter, negative old f*ck like Wilbon.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | December 18, 2009 9:32 AM

Good to know there are still Colt loonies around

Posted by: Kev29 | December 18, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Clean house! that's Allen's first priority and where he's really good at, the salary cap. I hope it'll be an uncapped year just for 2010 so that he can clean house very swiftly, I'm sure the vets that are gonna be gone will include:

Offense:
1. PORTIS
2. SAMUELS (which probably because he might retire)
3. R.THOMAS
4. RABACH
5. BETTS
6. RANDLE EL

Defense:
1. ROGERS
2. SMOOT (maybe)
3. GRIFFIN
4. DANIELS
5. WYNN
6-8 (Haynesworth, Hall & Landry- very tricky, they might try and restructure their contracts "if" they're willing but I say if they can be traded to get younger players through the draft or maybe multiple quality players in the free agency, that'll be a good move)

I don't really like Haynesworth, I believe the no.1 prospect from Nebraska, N. Suh is gonna be 10x better than him.

the Skins should resign Campbell (at a very affordable price), I don't see any QB in tne draft nor free agency that will be a lot better than him, plus we still have Brennan which we don't know how good he can be.

GO SKINS!

Posted by: alucard1 | December 18, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

If I was GM, my plan would be
1. Trade LLandry for a pick, someone would give us value for him (2nd to 3rd round) Get rid of Portis, ARE. Possibly try to move Cooley (he has value and if Shanny is our coach I would like to see what he could do with Davis like what he did with Sharpe) but not definitely
2. Tender JC. If we can get as high as a second round pick, I would consider it. a 1st rounder definitely
3. Trade down in the 1st round and pick up additional picks (2nd or 3rd round along with the lower 1st round pick)
4. 1st round pick - CJ Spiller change of pace back we haven't had in 25 years (Joe Washington) and fills our KR/PR roles very well
5. 2nd round pick(s) BEST OL's available. If we have two 2nd rounders I am taking the best OT and best C available.
6. If JC is traded. then QB becomes either FA priority or one of additional picks. I try to sign a veteran so that I can aim to get QB next year in draft
FA need. I also look for a very competent OLB, so I can move Orakpo to DE permanently.
This has to be a three year plan, imo.
Personally, I would keep JC, but not sure if ownership will allow

Posted by: Chip42 | December 18, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

If Shanny comes on board i think they try to move CP after all wasn't it Shanahan who traded CP for Champ? I don't agree with Wilbon on JC but it's personal for me i like JC his attitude,character,integrity,and he's tough, tougher than anybody they'll get in the draft all this kid needs is a legitimate shot(good o-line and consistent off.scheme)and he'll be fine.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chip42 | December 18, 2009 10:25 AM

These things will be mutually exclusive. If the Skins are picking in the 6-10 range, then they'd have to keep the pick to get Spiller. I like Spiller, but I think that they should just take the best OT on the board with their pick. Lack of third rounder doesn't bother me too much because that pick was used on Jeremy Jarmon.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 18, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

alucard1, Don't agree with your defense 6-8. How do you think that AC has 11 sacks, because of haynesworth and the constant double team that he draws. Hall is the only person in the secondary that had more than 1 pick, and Landry is still a work in progress. And you say trade them to get younger. Landry 25, Hall 26, and Haynesworth 28. I think they are young enough and can build around those guys. Let's not continue to trade young talent for old veterans.

Posted by: I_95 | December 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I pray JC stays. With an improved line, I can only imagine him tearing it up in anything resembling Elway's old offense. Too bad he's got to learn yet another system, but I think it'll be worth it. No doubt Shanahan realizes a lot better than Snyderatto the kind of QB JC could be with the right tools around him.

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Chip42, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Trying to move Cooley?? Are you serious? The only consistent receiver we have had in the last 4 years and now you want to trade him to see what Davis can do. How about trade Davis and keep what you know you have in Cooley and not what you hope to have in Davis.

And 1 other thing, f*ck Spiller and all the hype that he brings. I like GT RB Jonathan Dwyer much better. Every down back and can run between the tackles. All I see in Spiller is another Reggie Bush, and we see what he has turned out to be.

Posted by: I_95 | December 18, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I am going to presume that Allen has or will put his finger on the exact reason or reasons the Skins performed so out of character most of this year. To me it just wasn't play calling. It wasn't just the play of Campbell. It seemed to me there was an attitude problem. One day I hope to learn what was really going on.

I very much hope they don't bring Shannahan in. His record in Denver was lousy. He could solve that franchise's problems, maybe because the Head Coach wasn't a great leader.

Depending on Allen's assessment, and if the Skins play kick ass football in their remaining games, roll the dice for another year with Jim Zorn. I like the man.

I also like John Gruden. I think he is task master coach who demands hard work and attention to details. Evidently he won't be available until 2011, should Zorn not get the job done in 2010.

Another possibility I prefer over Shannahan, is bringing Greg Williams back as Head Coarch. What's not to like about what he is doing in NO and the fact that Joe Gibbs saw fit to hire him.

Speaking of Williamses, I love the idea of getting Doug Williams back to the team. If he had come to the Redskins at the start of his career, instead of Tampa, he undoubtedly would have been inducted in the Hall of Fame along with Gibbs.

Monday night is going to be interesting.

Posted by: Zigster | December 18, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

J. Fred Muggs would have been a better GM than Vinny.

The constants through the Snyder years have been he and Vinny ( except when Marty was here for the year) Vinny as a consultant, whoever posted dinner once in a while hit the nail on the head.

The dinner Snyder had with Gibbs, what do you think was discussed? My guess is dump Vinny for the long-term good of the franchise.

As for the draft, trade down in the 1st round and pick up another high pick maybe a 3rd and draft OL and DL guys.

I haven't done a detail check but if one looks at Super Bowl QB's, my guess is the majority of them were drafted after the 3rd round anyhow. Please no QB in the first round.

Posted by: pjente | December 18, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how I feel about the Allen hiring just yet....seems to have happened very quickly. Would like to have seen Snyder talk to some others, Chris Polian and the dude from the Ravens (name escapes me now). You know, the next Thomas Dimitrov for Atlanta - having said that I think Allen will be solid and very anti-cerratblow.
Question is what to do with this team; DL is solid and deep, need an outside LB so we can get Orakpo at DL full time, do NOT spend a 1st round pick on a RB (no need, you can get quality in later rounds), need to get rid of Rogers, ARE and find a kicker we can rely on. Trade down and get multiple picks unless there is a can't miss O tackle where we pick (6 to 8 probably). This will take two seasons if done right. I'd keep Campbell for another year (I don't see a QB worth taking that high), maybe take a stab at a Tony Pike or someone like that in the 2-3 rounds (if you can get a few extra picks).
Not crazy about Shanahan - too much of a Snyder buddy, would rather have Gruden but not in love with him either.
Should be very interesting.

Posted by: DEskinzfan | December 18, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I-95, read again. I said possibly moving Cooley. I love what Cooley brings to the Redskins, it would have to be one of those trades that Cerrato was famous for making, only reversed. i.e. Cooley for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. TE's are replaceable, sorry. Davis is younger and has shown the same ability Cooley has. Still, if it wasn't one of those types of trades, like you said, I would keep him.

As far as your thoughts on Spiller. Yes, Dwyer is a better every down back. BUT again, read what I said. Spiller gives us a change of pace back, as well as a solid KR/PR/ as well as a WR out of the backfield. GTech's offense was all run, so yes, Dwyer put up some nice running stats, and is going to be a good NFL back but I'll take Spiller's versatility and KR/PR ability everyday, which is what we need. We can survive a year with Ganther or Betts as our every down back. Funny you say Spiller is all hype. 4 KO return Touchdowns this year alone. yeah, its all hype. 21 Career TD's of 50 plus yards, despite splitting the carries with another NFL RB the first three years he was there. All hype.

Posted by: Chip42 | December 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse