Can Redskins defense contain Jackson and Maclin again?

By Jason Reid

Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett devised an outstanding game plan for Washington's 17-12 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 4 at Lincoln Financial Field.

Speedy Eagles wide receivers DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin made many big plays on deep balls in their first three games, so Haslett instructed cornerbacks DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers to be extremely physical with Jackson and Maclin. The Redskins also focused on preventing long passing plays. Haslett was content to give up short- and mid-range completions (Eagles running back LeSean McCoy had 12 receptions for 110 yards) in an attempt to contain Jackson and Maclin, who finished with four receptions for 34 yards with no touchdowns. Hall and Rogers had one of their best performances as the Redskins' starting cornerback tandem, but Haslett's approach also was among the keys to victory, players said.

"Has called a great game. A great game," Hall said. "Those guys were making a lot of plays, so that was a big emphasis for us. Has called it and we executed."

Philadelphia Coach Andy Reid was impressed, too.

"Hey, listen, I think Jim Haslett had a phenomenal game plan," Reid said Thursday in a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "And I think those players executed it and did very well.

"I've always had a lot of respect for both those corners. ... I thought they all did well. You add those two safeties into it [LaRon Landry and Kareem Moore] ... and they're all superior guys, too. That's a heck of a secondary."

Tackled by Hall and Moore in the final minute of the first quarter, Eagles starting quarterback Michael Vick was knocked out of the game after suffering a rib injury. Vick, who sat out the Eagles' next three games, returned to the lineup in Sunday's 26-24 victory against the Indianapolis Colts. He was selected the NFC's offensive player of the week for Week 9.

Backup Kevin Kolb does not possess Vick's scrambling skills and ability to improvise, so it's unknown how effective the Redskins' game plan would have been in Week 4 had Vick played the whole game. Haslett is expected to incorporate at least some of the elements of his previous game plan into his approach for Monday night's game against the Eagles at FedEx Field.

"I think he's disappointed he got hurt, but you'd expect that from a competitive guy like that," Reid said of Vick. "I'm not going to tell you he got 'cheated' or anything else. That's part of the game. He plays a physical game and the Redskins' defense plays a physical game, so the thing happened."

By Jason Reid  | November 12, 2010; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams will get to face Trent Cole on Monday
Next: Ron Jaworski on Donovan McNabb: "It's a head-scratcher"

Comments

Sure...isn't that the blueprint of how to beat the Eagles...no big plays...not a big mystery.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I like to think of myself as the RI janitor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:29 AM |

It would appear that you have your work cut out for you this morning.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 12, 2010 11:07 AM

Hey RSH...can I get some of that green stuff you push around the floors?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

He couldn't possibly be as ineffective as Roydell Williams.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 10:55 AM

I know he's making no impact at all in the passing game, but Roydell has turned himself into a good special teams player. He stays in his lane on coverage teams and I haven't seen him miss a tackle yet. He's a tough guy for a receiver. Special teams aren't sexy but he's contributing as much as B. Westbrook. He's just getting more heat because he has "WR" after his name and not "CB"...and we have good corners. I'm guessing the staff thinks he's pulling his weight. Galloway...I have no such defense for. I was intrigued by Austin in the preseason and would like to see him get a shot. (full disclosure: I thought Roydell Williams looked promising as a receiver in preseason too...so what do I know?)

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 12, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey RSH...can I get some of that green stuff you push around the floors?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:12 AM

I'd rather have some of that green stuff he smokes just before he spews his political ideas on RI.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 12, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm late on this...

I do think that it's absurd that the Redskins haven't practiced the two minute drill in 6 weeks. Considering how close all of our games have been, you would think being prepared for a two minute drill would be crucial. Even if they have to have Rexy running the drill in practice, it would still benefit the offense as a whole. I still would prefer to have McNabb running it in actual games. I think his experience would make up for his personal lack of practice in it, but to not work on it as a TEAM in practice is irresponsible.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Kinda absurd if they haven't even addressed it in practice...but I'm more worried about the offense in the OTHER 56 minutes at this point.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think the 'Skins can beat this Eagle team, but only if they trade McNabb back to the Eagles before the game. And if you can trade a journalist, send Wilbon to Philly with him.

Posted by: josettes | November 13, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse