Canadian doctor charged with supplying HGH was traveling to treat player in Washington

U.S. authorities filed charges today against a Canadian doctor who is accused of supplying illegal drugs to professional football players. The paperwork mentions 23 athletes who received some form of treatment from Dr. Anthony Galea, and while no names were given, the doctor was allegedly on his way to Washington to treat a player when he was stopped by authorities.

Identified in the complaint as Athlete A, the player was visited at least once in Washington in August 2009 and had a second visit scheduled for September before Galea was busted. A second athlete was also visited in Washington by Galea last August, according to the complaint, but it wasn't clear whether that athlete was an NFL player.

An NFL spokesman said the league did not know the identities of any of the players treated by Galea.

"This is an ongoing federal investigation, and we have not been informed of the identity of these players," according to a statement issued by league spokesman Greg Aiello. "We obviously have a very strong interest in learning who these players are and about their involvement with any prohibited substances so that we can enforce our
policies. When we have had evidence of illegal purchase, possession, or use of HGH, we have imposed discipline and are fully prepared to do so again if the facts support it. We have been in touch with law enforcement and will continue to cooperate with the federal
authorities as the case moves forward."

The Redskins referred all questions related to the case to the league office. A source familiar with the investigation said the player Galea was meeting in Washington was a Redskin, which the New York Times reported earlier Tuesday. Here's what else we know, according to the federal criminal complaint released today by the U.S. Attorney's Office and analyzed by the Post's Amy Shipley:

>> Galea was arrested in September 2009 on his way to meet with a player in Washington who was receiving treatments in the "home city in which he played."

>> The player was receiving a "medical procedure" from Galea and was later interviewed by federal agents.

>> The player told authorities he never knowingly received HGH. He got IV drips, injections to his knees, and B-12 shots to his arm.

>> This player paid for the treatments and the travel expenses of both Galea and an assistant.

>> The player reserved two Washington-area hotel rooms for the Sept. 2009 treatments, but those treatments were not delivered because the doctor was arrested.

>> At the time of the arrest, among the supplies the assistant carried for these treatments was "nutropin" -- a kind of HGH -- and Actovegin, an unapproved drug in the U.S. that anti-doping people look at skeptically.

>> The player did receive vitamin drip and HGH treatment from Galea on Aug. 12 in Washington.

>> The player was treated "on a weekly basis during the season" between Oct. 2007-09. If the player was injured, the visits sometimes occured more often. It wasn't clear whether these earlier visits took place in Washington and whether he was injured prior to the September 2009 appointment in Washington.

>> There are over 50 invoices from the player to Galea.

>> A second athlete -- called Athlete T in the criminal complaint and not necessarily a football player -- was visited by Galea on Sept. 3, 2009 and received an Actovegin and vitamin drip treatment.

The NFL currently lists HGH among its banned performance-enhancing substances but does not test for it.

"This case highlights the need for enhanced testing and in our discussions about a new Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFL Players Association, we have proposed expanding our current testing program to include growth hormone," read the league's statement today.

By Rick Maese  |  May 18, 2010; 3:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phillip Daniels clarifies his remarks about Albert Haynesworth
Next: Chris Cooley turns spotlight over to his mom and fight against breast cancer

Comments

Oh, dear.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 18, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Which Redskin was it that said something about injecting the juice or candy or something like that. It was reported on IR, remember? Was it Malcolm Kelly?

Posted by: thor2 | May 18, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I have a few suspicions. But its nothing but speculation, so I am not going to say anything.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to the Post to NOT pull any punches with this story.

They all must be salivating like hungry stray dogs over this.

Good for them.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well we know for sure that it isn't Haynesworth. My money is on LaRon Landry.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

It was obviously Shaun Suisham.

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

Aw, c'mon!!!! Where's the fun in that?

I'll give you two off the bat:

Laron Landry
Andre Carter

Feel free to add.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I was talking about his comments:

buy it's probably not HGH.

Posted by: thor2 | May 18, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

All I am gonna say is I would advise the player / players who ever had a consultation with this DR to go to the team and tell them, contact the NFL and tell them and just nip it in the @$$. If you did not know you were getting HGH its best to just nip.

PS avoid any advice from your agents.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll say Ray Lewis.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

IV drips in the knees and a shot in the arm. Didn't Daniels have the torn bicep injury? Given his age and his offseason workout regime, I'm sure his knees could bother him as well. Just speculating of course...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | May 18, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, very interesting. Did anyone on the 2007 - 2009 Redskins stand out as an athletic phenom? LL?

Posted by: --swb | May 18, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Not Carter, too religious. I say Landry or Portis.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | May 18, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Injury prone - knee problems - HGH implies older player - on the team from 2007-2009:

Chris Samuels (hate to say it)
Randy Thomas

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:06 PM

Did I miss the report that the Skins signed Lewis.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss to be named by Steroid Dr.
Michael David Smith
May 18th, 2010, 4:10
Washington Redskins wide out Santana Moss was the player that Canadian Doctor, Anthony Galea was scheduled to visit, and will soon be hearing from Roger Goodell regarding their relationship. Consider this to be an on-going investigation, however the hand-writing appears to be on the wall with this one. Having a relationship with a Dr. who supplies you with HGH will be frowned upon by Sheriff Goodell.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 18, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:09 PM

Why would he be coming to see either of those guys now?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Landry and Sellers

Posted by: Salinas1 | May 18, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Sellers and Alexander.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | May 18, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Laron Landry
Andre Carter

Feel free to add.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 4:03 PM

P Daniels

Posted by: TWISI | May 18, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Red,

I will say this look at what we know. its like playing a game of clue.

I am going through our current roster right now. First things first, remove any player who's on the list but was not here from 07 on. Than focus on the Knee issues that they were treating in this.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Any RI folks in here that live in Charlotte? Moving down there in 3 weeks, love to know about good non-chain restaurants, bars, etc.

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I hear this place has good BBQ in Charlotte

It is Carolina Style BBQ

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 18, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Not K Barnes

Posted by: TWISI | May 18, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

good luck to NFLPA in their fight against allowing blood testing.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 18, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

LH, it didn't say he was being seen now, it said he was arrested in Sept '09, and player "A" and "T" were named in the investigation. The charges were filed today.

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you who it was not:
Anyone on the offensive line.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 18, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"P Daniels

Posted by: TWISI"

Wasn't Daniels cut or placed on IR in 2007 (when we got JTaylor)? And if he was placed on IR, I'm pretty sure he was in Chicago for the season rehabbing. I don't think he fits.

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

>> There are over 50 invoices from the player to Galea.

wow...

psps23,
i hope it's samuels or thomas - or some other player not on the team now....

please...not santana....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 18, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:12 PM

alex35332 = dick.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | May 18, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Patriots Cut Shawn Springs?!?!?!?!

Are they crazy!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 18, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Actually IH8, the two injuries they are mentioning here both first reminded me of Randy Thomas.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:14 PM

Finally, you're right and I'm wrong. Damn those percentages.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

>> There are over 50 invoices from the player to Galea.

wow...

psps23,
i hope it's samuels or thomas - or some other player not on the team now....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 18, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spotter | May 18, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

It was probably Fred Smoot.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | May 18, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the same "Doc" who treated Tiger Woods too?

Posted by: 4-12 | May 18, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:16 PM

The report said that they weren't sure where early visits took place. Daniels doesn't seem the type to mess with his body, but I guessed him using the same reasoning you did with age, injury etc.

Posted by: TWISI | May 18, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:06 PM

Did I miss the report that the Skins signed Lewis.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 4:09 PM |

Well, the report said headed to Washington. It didn't say for a Washington player and in case you missed it the Ravens are pretty close to Washington.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Now...All you MoFos who jumped on Cushing's back...be prepared to feel the wrath.....

Whomever it is...Whateves! Keep it moving!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Aw, c'mon!!!! Where's the fun in that?

I'll give you two off the bat:

Laron Landry
Andre Carter

Feel free to add.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse
________

Let's not set anyone up for a defamation lawsuit. I'll refrain from speculation, although there sure seems to be a couple of obvious candidates.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 18, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the recommendations in Charlotte...Penguin is pretty good, have eaten there and enjoy it, fried pickles are awesome and heart stopping.

Look forward the BBQ places to try, have tried Sticky Fingers and was not a fan at all. I love my own BBQ, so I am pretty picky, especially when sh_t is dry or not fallling off the bone...anyone know a good butcher shop in Charlotte?

Gotta try God of War it sounds like. Nice.

Thinking A. Carter, Rocky Mac, Daniels and Landry could all be suspect...Samuels as well.

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 18, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Who had knee and arm problems? Randy Thomas? Philip Daniels? Carter had a bicep injury but no knee. Ladell Betts had a wrecked knee. McIntosh has chronic knee problems. Jeremy Jarmin had a knee injury and wasn't he ineligible in college because of a banned substance?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 18, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

well since a guy just posted a link on this blog to another blog where some guy claimed he talked to a border patrol type.... I guess we all know who it is now.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

seems like PFT has already pinned it on Moss......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 18, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:06 PM

Did I miss the report that the Skins signed Lewis.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 4:09 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:25 PM |

My bad, it did say that. Well then I'd have to guess Landry. Maybe Carter. Anyone with injuries. In other words, no new guesses here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was League Source who was taking the juice and he changed his name to Beep-Beep to throw the cops off his tail...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Rocky have a knee injury?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Pats cut Springs... Would anyone else be interested in signing Springs and moving him to Free Safety?? If the price is right I would definitely make that move, the guy can still play, he started 10 games for the pats last year. Moving him to Free Safety could extend his career, he certainly has the coverage skills.

Posted by: jeffco01 | May 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I got a crazy one for you all.

Colt.

And yes I know I said I would not speculate, but I got board.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

old news?

Posted by: spotter | May 18, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is old, if that is true, Ol tana got some splainin to do!!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 18, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

no...not santana...no...!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 18, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I think I would be all for bringing Springs back for a try at Free Safety...

Who knows, could have been a NBA player or a baseball player for Dr. Galea, right? Did not think it only mentioned football player?

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 18, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting bit of news from PFT for realzies.

The United Football League is interested in hiring Doug Williams to be a GM for a future team in Norfolk VA.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 18, 2010 4:26 PM

What are they gonna sue me for? All I got is my '72 Vega and SS for all those years as a janitor. I too am like Cork in that I use the library's computer to get onto RI.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | May 18, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

We finally learn why Vinny Cerrato was shown the door. He was hitting the juice in his hopes of some day being an NFL kicker.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 18, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

LH, you know it all comes around.

Posted by: psps23 | May 18, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Adding to that...HGH isn't like a Steriod...It is used in the healing process to quicken the healing...

I see nothing wrong with that. Just let the player get his 4 game suspension and keep it moving....

Next Post!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I think I would be all for bringing Springs back for a try at Free Safety...

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 18, 2010 4:32 PM
------------------------------------------
Don't you remember how injury prone Springs was? I like the logic but the guy cannot stay healthy. Pass.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 18, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

All the minor league professional tackle football news that's fit to print, eh, Alex?

God bless you for your passionate devotion to minor league football, but good grief it would take a hell of a lot to get me the tiniest bit interested in it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

My money's on Vinny Cerratto or Larry Michael.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | May 18, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It had to be Leigh Torrence. How else could you explain his super human strength and conditioning plus the fact he was the ultimate "shut down" corner!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | May 18, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
Your telling me if Portland had a team out there and you could go to a game for $10 you wouldn't?

Posted by: alex35332 | May 18, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was Vinny...Look at his eyes yo!!!

Posted by: boricuabopper | May 18, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Sellers.

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 18, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe it was Carlito Rodgers...either he was getting "broke" by a receiver or the ball shattered his brittle hands.

Posted by: boricuabopper | May 18, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Edwin Williams. He needed something to recover from that horrible head injury.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 18, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Correct, Alex. If Portland had a minor league football team, I wouldn't go to their games even if they gave away their tickets.

I love NFL football. Whatever that might be, it would not be NFL football.

Also, I don't love going to football games simply for the experience; I have to have a rooting interest. I love going to a baseball game now and again, even when I don't care about the game itself, because it's a fun and pleasant experience.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

#
Beenjammin1980
Beenjammin1980 (5/18/2010 at 3:47 PM)
Report Violation
I Laugh that the skins are trying to be like Dallas ( their arch-rivals). Even when they describe this move, the players say "like Dallas" when referring to what its going to look like. I have news for the skins----they don't have the personnel....its going to be years before they have a chance to have as effective of a defense that Dallas has. Their corners aren't good enough, their linebackers aren't good enough, their safeties aren't good enough, their d-lineman (without passion to change) are not going to cut it and they had a forgettable draft. Was their defense bad last year....great start to the Shanahan era. Redskins are doomed to be worthless for another 20 years.

This is a preview of what Dallas fans think of the Skins on ESPN, how I wish Shanahan read this and post it in the locker room.

Posted by: abxinc | May 18, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The Tilted Kilt

Posted by: shyde13 | May 18, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Zeese- I saw something on the wire earlier today about Daunte Culpepper signing with your UFL.
That lifts my level of interest in the league to a point just below Nate's...

Posted by: 4-12 | May 18, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I think its .... best not to speculate.

As for HGH testing, is there a reliable test for the stuff?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 18, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

seems like PFT has already pinned it on Moss......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 18, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong Gregory? No one biting on your boring old faux-PFT posts? You suck dude, you suck and you're terribly annoying, go away for life.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | May 18, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Sellers

Posted by: Pepper5 | May 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

mhartz, a recommendation not too far from Charlotte, but to the west (as opposed to northeast toward Lexington). Probably the best 'cue I've ever eaten: Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby: http://www.bridgesbbq.com/

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Redskins, UFL among Doug Williams' options
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2010 4:14 PM ET
A week after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced that director of pro personnel Doug Williams had stepped down, a new report says Williams is weighing offers from the Washington Redskins and the United Football League.

Thomas George of FanHouse reports that the Redskins and Williams are currently in talks about potentially creating a role for him in the front office. And UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue says he's interested in hiring Williams, possibly as G.M. of a potential future franchise in Norfolk, Virginia.

"Yes, it is true that we are interested in Doug," Huyghue told George on Tuesday afternoon. "I think I was one of the first people in the NFL back in 1995 to hire Doug in Jacksonville [as a scout]. And I think he has been overlooked at times when NFL executive jobs have opened. He is a great example of a great player who after his playing career continued to embody talent, character and stayed current in football. Players feed off of him. If you can get Doug Williams, in any franchise, your franchise will be better. And if we have the opportunity to bring him in, that is an opportunity that we will make happen."

Williams was the Buccaneers' quarterback from 1978 to 1982. He then played in the USFL before signing with the Redskins in 1986 and becoming the MVP of Super Bowl XXII.

Prior to joining the Bucs' front office in 2004, Williams was the head coach at his alma mater, Grambling, from 1998 to 2003.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 18, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Patriots cut Shawn Springs. Says he wants to go to law school to become a player agent.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 18, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

We've almost reached the point where we need to collect vials of blood from every ath-uh-lete in every sport at regular intervals, to be stored securely and indefinitely, in sufficient quantities to run any test for PED's which conceivably could become available in the future.

I'm anti-doping all the way, but I have no idea how to prevent or enforce doping. Maybe I live in a fantasy world, but I do think it matters. So I hope the NFL figures this out.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, dear.

Posted by: NateinthePDX

You mean "Oh sh't!"

What player has been here for that period, bulked-up, probably played well? Maybe and older player who could be seen as the sort(needed it, character issues)...not sure anyone fits perfectly.

Griffin, Portis, Rabach, Heyer, Thomas, Samuels, McIntosh????.

Athlete A hopefully has been released. Who ever is was, I hope the get the book tossed at them.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 18, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

As for HGH testing, is there a reliable test for the stuff?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 18, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Blood testing is the only way right now.

No real reason not to allow it, but players association will fight it.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 18, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Is HGH really 'performance enhancing'?? Or just a quick healer? How does HGH 'enhance' your 'performance'?

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Carlos and Rocky - Carlos came back remarkly quick from a knee/leg injury. I thought it was generally accepted and tolerated that pro football (and division one college) players use HGH. Doesn't bother me none if they do. Makes the game better - same with baseball.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 18, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

4th, you wanna split hairs over the semantics of this thing? Who are you, Mark McGwire? Come on... the term "performance-enhancing drugs" covers a wide range of stuff athletes put into their bodies to gain some advantage.

There's a nice definition here:

"Although the phrase performance-enhancing drugs is typically used in reference to anabolic steroids or their precursors, world anti-doping organizations apply the term broadly. The phrase has been used to refer to several distinct classes of drugs..."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Can also be used as preventative measure. Body would break down less quickly over the course of 16 games.

So in that way I'd say it is performance enhancing.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 18, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

As for HGH testing, is there a reliable test for the stuff?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 18, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Blood testing is the only way right now.

No real reason not to allow it, but players association will fight it.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

Thanks PPS8 ... the players unions have been misguided in fighting PEDs -- and not just in football. Its not in the player's interest to fight it.

I can understand the reluctance to allow blood work, as a blood sample can uncover a ton of different things (marijuana use, etc) -- but the league and players should focus on what they really needs to keep out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 18, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Anthony Galea, the controversial Canadian doctor known to have treated Tiger Woods, was on Wednesday charged with administering unlawful drugs..."

Posted by: ItsOver2 | May 18, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

NAte - That whole statement was so general, it's redonkulious...These dudes got so much stuff they can take and they leave it to a bunch of people who never played a sport in their life to come up with what's good and not good.....

To me, HGH is like Stem Cell testing...It got banned early, but as time goes by, people realize it's a good thing....

Just because something is illeagal today doesn't make it bad...

Like I said above, give him his 4 game suspension and keep it moving....My last statement was just trying to start a conversation....Because what I read about HGH in the past, it doesn't seem that bad to me....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Just because the player was TREATED since 2007 doesn't necessarily mean he was a REDSKIN since 2007. Just means he was probably an NFL player during that period.

He may have been a Redskin since 2007, but that's just an assumption at this point.

Posted by: DCNative1975 | May 18, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Springs doesn't do OTA's - he won't be signed by 100% attendance Shanny. He does seem like the perfect Shanny/Allen acquisition though, he's old as heck and he'd up the competition at the safety position. Only he doesn't have going for him is he never played for Tampa Bay.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 18, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

HGH is muscle enhancing. Lack thereof is a problem in adult growth hormone deficiency and fibromyalgia patients. Both of these groups tire easily and have reduced muscle recovery after exercise.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Because what I read about HGH in the past, it doesn't seem that bad to me....

Posted by: 4thFloor

You may be right on this. HGH is naturally produced by the body -- is adding more inherently unhealthy?

Part of the concern with PEDs is that players are getting so big, strong and fast, that the increased energy at the point of contact is causing short term and long term injuries. In otehr words, its not just what the PED does to the body, its what one player can do to another.

With traumatic brain injuries becoming a bigger deal, PEDs are going to come under more scrutiny than ever.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 18, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

So in that way I'd say it is performance enhancing.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 18, 2010 5:24 PM

Great..Another positive...and they soon will want these guys to play 18 games...All for the freakin $$$...Owners $$$...The body wasn't built to play 18 games...21 including playoffs, 23 including preseason...

Reading the side effects...it seems no worse than those being spat off on TV prescripton medicine commercials...and alot of ederly people are using it now...

Conversation...Don't be afraid to live outside the box...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCNative1975 | May 18, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

This is incorrect. NYT says criminal complaint cites doctor as allegedly enroute in September 2009 to Washington to distribute the HGH to football player. So the player was almost certainly with the 'Skins from 2007 to 2009.

Posted by: Pepper5 | May 18, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Washington Wizards Guard Gilbert Arenas was the player that Canadian Doctor, Anthony Galea was scheduled to visit, and will soon be hearing from David Stern regarding their relationship.

Consider this to be an on-going investigation, however with the league's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, this shouldn't be anything for Wizard fans to be concerned about.

Posted by: donsilvester | May 18, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Philosophically, there is a big difference between an injured athlete using Hgh and other enhancers to speed the healing and recovery process and a healthy player injecting Hgh and steroids to build their body to gain a physcal advantage in competition.

Presently, that does not matter to the various League managers adn Competition overlords who have deemed all use of HGH to be an infraction of the rules because of its perfromance enhancing properties.

I think that a clinical use of health enhancers should be considered as an option. Performance enhancement use should remain banned.

The problem of course, is trying to decide which is which, and then detecting the "enhancement" use over the "healing" use.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 18, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't a player at all.
It was Vinny, which explains his wild A$$$$ eyes.

Posted by: dashriprock | May 18, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, 4th, but I don't see how having played a sport is a prerequisite for determining what constitutes a banned substance for that sport. But I'm sure there's some logic to what you say.

Speaking of performance enhancement, I'm reminded of the incredibly wonderful story of Dock Ellis' LSD-infused no-no, as memorialized in this terrific cartoon treatment:

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 18, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Unless an athlete has a diagnosed deficiency in HGH, there is absolutely no reason for him/her to take it. Period. It doesn't matter if they are recovering from injury, as recovery from injury won't get any of us HGH or our insurance companies to pay for it in that instance. To say it's fine for an athlete to take HGH just so they can recover more quickly from an injury is absurd.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Here is my read on HGH and other performance enhancing drugs: where does it end? Okay, so you are saying HGH is naturally occurring in the body so that should make it all right.. We're not far away from a time when genetic engineering will allow doctors to play around with a person's genes and manipulate them. What happens when the doctors find out a way to make a 98 pound weakling into a 350 pound neanderthal? Is that okay? What about giving them cocaine on every kickoff to speed them up? Painkillers with every injury so they can keep on playing? And look at these guys after they retire. Their bodies are shot, and a lot of them seem to come down with some strange illnesses that could probably be traced back to the garbage they took when they were players. Maybe some of this stuff is naturally occurring, but even the simplest naturally occurring substance can be damaging to the body if taken in abundance. Hey, I like football at its roughest, but the league and the fans owe it to these players to not let them screw up their lives with dangerous substances.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 18, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | May 18, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Pepper5, we know that the player was a Redskin in 2009. How on earth can you deduce that the player was a Redskin in 2007 from that? It's entirely possible that he was, but just because we know he was a Skin in 2009 doesn't mean we know he was a Skin in 2007. Am I missing something here? He could have played for several teams in the years leading up to 2009, no? Maybe he's been a Redskin for his whole career, who knows. I'm just saying we don't have enough info yet to determine that, unless I'm completely missing something.

Posted by: DCNative1975 | May 18, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

hgh works by reducing recovery time - just like steroids. hgh is produced by the body naturally - just like steriods.

as to whether it IS a "steroid", that does seem kind of a semantic distinction. and it is certainly a banned PED.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 18, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

JFK--Thanks for the post. Haven't seen you around for a while, but appreciate hearing from someone who actually knows what she's talking about on this subject.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

A Brown Swiss Ham is probably nasty.Bet Dawg Pound chews him up if he stays on the roster.

Posted by: will_ga | May 18, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I am hearing its Santana Moss, which makes sense b/c of his hamstring issues....

Posted by: scottiemac3 | May 18, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, if you read the Complaint, it says "home city of the team for which the witness played" not home cities of the teams for which the witness played. Can't be absolutely sure of course but Criminal Complaint certainly implies one town, one team.

Posted by: Pepper5 | May 18, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Just don't let it be Orakpo.

Posted by: skinswest | May 18, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

thanks beep-beep. I mainly read, and post whenever something is medically related. If any of you know anyone that suffers from fibromyalgia, I just completed an 87 page thesis paper on it. Feel free to probe my brain :)

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Feel free to probe my brain :)

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 6:24 PM

JFK,

You know that the guys up here who are interested in probing aren't thinking about brains -- and usually not with their brains.

Does this mean you're graduating and moving on?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 18, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes and hopefully yes. I walked for my MS degree on May 8th, and am waiting to hear from University of Texas Health Science Center @ Houston. I applied to their PhD program in cancer biology and haven't heard back yet. The other three PhD programs I applied to rejected my application. If I get into Texas I'll hopefully get enough $ to buy some redskins gear and be a red beacon in Dallas country.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

JFK--Congratulations on graduation! That's great -- know how hard you worked for it. And good luck to you with the UT application. If you do go to Houston we have a few posters from down there -- JohnDinHouston and SuzannePDC.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 18, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

JFK, Congratulations and good luck! I hope you get in and have many happy years of harassing cowboy fans there.

Posted by: will_ga | May 18, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. That's right, we have a couple down there. So if I get in, there will be three "rednecks" down there, lol. Awesome. I'll love the weather too. Prayers for that are much appreciated.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Aw, c'mon!!!! Where's the fun in that?

I'll give you two off the bat:

Laron Landry
Andre Carter

Feel free to add.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse
________

No way Andre Carter. I run into the guy at Whole Foods in CA during the off season. He's a health freak and he doesn't look freakishly large for a buy whose 6'5". He's a BIG dude, but not freakishly big.

Posted by: JoelV | May 18, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Jocks do drugs.

Period.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

RT @Rich_Campbell Oh, really...RT@DoubleJJ99 (Jeremy Jarmon): Crazy to think that one of the biggest faces of the league will be tied to Galea...

If you click on Jarmon's Twitter page, this post has been deleted.

Posted by: will_ga | May 18, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

CSN Kelli Johnson saying three players. One retired, two active. Also Ryan O'Hallaran on CSN.com referers to three players.

Posted by: TWISI | May 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's Haynesworth!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 18, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I bet it was Colt. HGH has been proven to increase one's swagger.

Posted by: Rod5 | May 18, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Lance Armstrong does not play for the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

According to ESPN.com report on Galea, he apparently treated eleven pro athletes in Cleveland.

Considering what a crappy losing sports town that is, I'm not surprised that athletes there are looking for a little boost.

Posted by: p1funk | May 18, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Bode Miller comes to mind.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Lance Armstrong does not play for the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Find another blog, Frenchy...

Posted by: p1funk | May 18, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Madonna uses HGH.

and Sly Stallone.

and Carrot Top.

and the kids from MTV's Jersey Shore

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's Haynesworth!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 18, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Why?

So he gets suspended and we get even less in return for our investment in him?

Posted by: p1funk | May 18, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I run into the guy at Whole Foods in CA during the off season.

Posted by: JoelV | May 18, 2010 6:52 PM

----------

PED's for sure.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

AH's idea of a PED is a Five Guy's cheeseburger.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Why?

So he gets suspended and we get even less in return for our investment in him?

Posted by: p1funk

because perhaps it would knock him off the pedestal he has placed himself upon. Maybe he'd get it, and get in camp with everyone else that is healthy. I can dream can't I?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 18, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Danny Bonaduce

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 6:24 PM

You got an MS for typing "psychosomatic" on 87 pages?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 18, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

hmmm...

tried to weigh in with a lame joke about BGH and mastitis, linked to a cow with a massive swollen udder.

that was many hours ago.

it was a real cow, with a real hurtin' udder.

WaPo popped up to let me know they felt the need to review the post.

it was totally clean, at least compared to what goes on here... but probably wasn't very funny anyway.

realize that nipples are a sensitive topic (witness the advent of pasties), but you might think cow teats are ok for a family forum.

we'll see if it ever makes it past the censors, if so then you can be the judge.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 18, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 6:24 PM

Is it real Karen? The only person I know who claims to suffer from it also suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome and about a dozen other dubious ailments.

Posted by: mack1 | May 18, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The first name that came to mind when I was reading the story was 'Santana Moss.'. But the injections to the arms could mean any position except kicker.

Posted by: SavedByZero | May 18, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

did somebody say bode miller?! he came to my house last winter!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 18, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

No GUYS. You all got it Wrong. It was the Cheerleaders, the Cheerleaders.

Posted by: awebb004 | May 18, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

in any case, my position on PEDs is that unless everyone has access, it's cheating.

sports (and games such as golf) are only fun if everyone plays by the rules.

for that matter, the on-field ethics of golf trump most competitive endeavors.

it's a classic slippery slope dilemma... if you open it up to everything, there is going to be a lot of personal damage.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 18, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Randy Thomas. The injections to the knees and arms make sense and he came from the Jets, this doctor has been tied to ARod, Jose Reyes and other NYC athletes so it wouldnt be surprising if they passed on Galea's name to a player or two on the Jets.

I love speculating without any facts.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | May 18, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

and Karen, here's my unsolicited advice... take it or leave it for whatever it's worth.

think very, very carefully before signing on to join the ponzi scheme that is academia.

getting into a PhD program is actually pretty easy. but only a very small percentage make it to a tenure-track job.

if you decide to do this, make sure you have a back-up plan outside the ivory tower.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 18, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

walter in falls church:

what kind of GD pictures are those?

You carve from snow, eh?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Always wondered how Zorn stayed 'medium"

Posted by: Ratzoe | May 18, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Wizards get the #1 pick!!!!!

Wow....

Maybe we can trade the #1 pick and Albert Haynesworth to Toronto for Chris Bosh!

Posted by: rickyroge | May 18, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

nate,
Thank you for the pointer to the LSD no-no.
That was about the funniest and bestest post up here in a long, long time.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 18, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

It was Leigh Torrance!

Posted by: clark202 | May 18, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Wizards get the #1 pick!!!!!

Wow....

lol perhaps get LBJ also

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

just caught this on the hint from stumped, not up to speed today.

nice... rare and well done, at the same time.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 18, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Who in their right mind really considers Santana Moss to be one of the biggest faces on the league? On the Skins, you're talking Clinton Portis, or Chris Samuels. Could be London Fletcher, but I seriously doubt Fletcher has anything bad going into his body, although the Buffalo ties as well are very unfavorable for him when it comes to speculation. Albert Haynesworth is a candidate, but I also got the impression the guy has been a Redskins since 2007 - and 'Tana has not been a face of the league, ever, in his career. Great guy, great player, but not that damn great.

Posted by: SlyStilla | May 18, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised you like it, Moo, it has a certain Holstein feel, don't you think?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 18, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

They're juicing and still finished 4-12.

"So one of the negative side effects of steroids in this case is the possibility of torn muscles and ruptured tendons, more specifically tears of your biceps and deltoids, because the strength of muscles increases more rapidly than the strength of tendons."

hmmmmm....

Posted by: nativedc | May 18, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

why is john wall ranked #1 and evan turner ranked #2? when he's better than john wall in every category?

Posted by: dealer1 | May 18, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 18, 2010 8:59 PM

it's true. love retro in general, especially old B&W flicks.

but that was a really nice mashup, which is even cooler.

'night all... moo-in-law is in town, so might need to lay low for the next week.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 18, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

id take turner IMHO

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Fibromyalgia is a real syndrome. Part of the confusion as to it being psychosomatic is that the same brain pathways and neurotransmitters that regulate mood also regulate pain cognition. Therefore, a depressed mood will also correlate with a decreased ability to unconsciously inhibit pain, thereby causing more pain than normal. Fibromyalgia is anything but psychosomatic when you actually look at the research concerning the pathology.

In addition, some people may want attention, but why give yourself a disabling pain condition versus maybe a series of recurring infections or even a potentially disabling but treatable condition (like an easily treatable cancer), etc. It makes no sense to "give" yourself a thoroughly miserable, life-long condition that literally only causes you more pain.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 18, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to us...

...DONT TAKE WALLS!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 18, 2010 7:01 PM |

They probably need some qualudes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 18, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Get your John Wall jerseys..

Just joining in on the speculation.

The player(s) were looking for would most likely...
1. History of injuries or a major injury
2. North of 30 yrs old

Levels of HGH begin to drop around the age of 30. Over the years, our levels continue to drop at a consistent rate (25% per decade). Researchers believe that this drop in our HGH levels is what causes many health problems and diseases associated with modern aging - such as weight gain, reduced energy, muscle loss, wrinkles, declining mental alertness, weakened immune system, vision problems and more.

My best guess would be Randy Thomas and I hate to say it but Phillip Daniels.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 18, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to us...

...DONT TAKE WALLS!

Posted by: 4thFloor

LOL! Indeed!!!

This agreeing has to stop, yung!!!

Evan Turner is the better player. Not saying Wall isn't good, he most definitely is, but Wall turned the ball over too many times for my liking, and he's not a "floor general".

It'll take a few years until Wall gets it, Turner is ready RIGHT NOW.

Only way I'd be in favor of drafting Wall is if they were planning to move Arenas.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

TURNER plz ty vm plz wizzies

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

id take turner IMHO

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 9:14 PM

Sounds odd but I was hoping for the 2nd pick so Wall would be off the board, then we could take Turner w/o looking like Casserly did in Houston a few years back.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 18, 2010 9:33 PM

They plan on moving Arenas to the 2 where he belongs. I'd rather have Tuner too.

My top 5 mock draft.

1. Washington John Wall Fr.
2 Philadelphia Evan Turner Jr.
3 New Jersey Derrick Favors Fr.
4 Minnesota Wesley Johnson Jr.
5 Sacramento Greg Monroe So.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

yeah crazy the wizzies got the 1st pick, there is good talent in this draft, but I think Wall is not it, Turner is a better fit for the wiz

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Wall also look great because of all the talent around him, but w/e..

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Dr's best defense: "I did NOT dispense 'performing enhancing drugs'! I gave them to the Redskins. Look at their record."

Posted by: Bmore3 | May 18, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Reds...

Now....let the speculation of Lebron to the Wizards begin!

Boooooook it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 18, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

4th-

John Wall, Calipari, and Lebron to the Wiz..

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 18, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 18, 2010 9:36 PM |

Look at it this way. If the Wiz don't take him then they will be making an off-the-Wall pick and with all the drama they have had of late that is the last thing they want.

Posted by: ItsaFact | May 18, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Tana, CP, and Samuels(maybe Thomas, did he retire officially?)

CP had knee issues... and i think the injury initially occurred on the next to last play of the playoff loss in Seattle. He def stretched the ACL and possibly did some meniscus damage, judging from the way his knee bent sideways, and the way he came up limping after. With the clock ticking, he nutted it out, but after the final seconds ticked off he continued to limp....

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 18, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

John Wall- Derrick Rose with an inch more in height and the wing span of a 6'8 forward. Jerseys will be available soon.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 18, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone arguing for the Wiz to take Evan Turner over John Wall probably also thought Emeka Okafor should have been drafted ahead of Dwight Howard.

Posted by: p1funk | May 18, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

p1funk- I'm officially flip flopping. I like both players but the upside is with Wall. He is a freakish athlete and plays a premier position while Turner is a so-so athlete at the SF.

I see Wall as a Derrick Rose/Rajon Rando type with a higher ceiling while Turner is a Brandon Roy with all star capability but less of a ceiling.

You take the PG over the SF especially since he would come into the league as the best athlete at his position.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

You take Wall.

This is not difficult.

Much higher upside and better athlete which translates better into the NBA.

People comparing Wall's stats this year to Turners are missing the point - look at what Turner did as a freshman THEN look at Wall.

Turner is a versatile scorer, but you can find those in the NBA - we already have a few on our roster in GA, Blatche and Thorton. Turner averaged 9 rebounds a game in college, but do you really think a 6'7'' G/F who is a so-so athlete is going to be grabbing anywhere close to that in the NBA??

Wall is a freak athlete whose potential has barely been scratched. 6'4'' with a wing-span, fast, can handle the ball, can set people up.

Besides, the Wizards play here is to draft Wall, pass on the FAs this year, and make a run at Kevin Durant the following offseason - he'll make you forget all about that Evan guy...

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Wall also look great because of all the talent around him, but w/e..

Posted by: rb_rivers | May 18, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

??

Wall looked great because he was the best player on that Kentucky team.

You do realize how bad Kentucky was the year before, right? They didn't even make the NCAA tourney.

When Wall wasn't putting the ball on the floor blowing by people and getting to the rim, he was setting guys up.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Just read that Wall finished his year at Kentucky with a 3.5 GPA and made the conscious effort to take his classes seriously.

I keep liking the kid more and more.

Seems grounded. Not a knucklehead. Not likely to do something like...oh, I don't know...bring a bunch of guns to Verizon Center like it's a big prank.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

iT HAS TO BE ROCKY

Posted by: SkinEm1 | May 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

iT HAS TO BE ROCKY

Posted by: SkinEm1 | May 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

p1- take Wall and CO-SIGN winning the 2011 FA sweepstakes of getting Durant.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

p1- take Wall and CO-SIGN winning the 2011 FA sweepstakes of getting Durant.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Now we are talking.

The Evan Turner folks are outsmarting themselves.

The quesiton is not who will make this team better next year, but thinking a couple years down the line.

In 3 years, you can reasonably envision talking about John Wall along with the other elite PGs in the league.

In 3 years can you reasonable envision talking about LeBron, Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant and...Evan Turner all in the same discussion??

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

My guess is the player is no longer on the team...because...if the doctor was arrested back in sept. '09 the Skins FO would of probably gotten wind of the situation by now and dealt with it.

My guess is that it's one of the Veteran we cut this year...if it is indeed a Redskin.

I just HOPE its not London Fletcher or Brian Orakpo! I HIGHLY, HIGHLY DOUBT its either one but they would be the true heartbreakers if it were true!

Posted by: filmchis | May 19, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

funniest video of the day is this one:

What's funny? Its not that the holier than thou Congressman quit because of the affair (is that even news anymore?). Its not even his comments (when people say "how is Washington different than Indiana? ... how is it different to have a conservative in control of Congress as opposed to a liberal?")

Its that the woman who is doing the interview on abstinence .... complete with a 'tsk tsk tsk' attitude ... IS the woman he had the affair with!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

zeke, sorry about your Sharks, buddy.

Has anyone thrown this name into the HGH speculation ring yet? Ethan mothersnappin' Albright. Yeah, I went there.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

zeke, sorry about your Sharks, buddy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX

Its not over yet, but I can hear the fat lady warming up her pipes ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Looking for a job? With new Health Care Plan, we are going to insure additional 33 Million people. There is going to be huge demand for Medical Assistants, Medical Billing, Medical Coding, Pharmacy Assistant & Pharmacy Technician across the nation. We can help you get a training during weekends and evenings and get a degree in few months. With the degree finding a job will be easy, free consultation available at http://ow.ly/1LxCr this is your chance

Posted by: DaisyTalina | May 19, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

The Great Wall of Chinatown has a nice ring to it.

The Wiz have the worst uniforms of any of D.C.'s teams. Hideous, frankly. Now is the time for new (old?) colors and a new logo. Please, Ted. Thanks.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | May 19, 2010 3:32 AM | Report abuse

had to be someone who OVERPERFORMED...possibly now that's about to lose their job...Chris Horton??? Do u guys remember how he was flyin around and in on almost every PLAY?? then the guy gets hurt....needs a boost hmmmmm

Posted by: lszovati | May 19, 2010 3:43 AM | Report abuse

Eat right & lose weight to Control Diabetes. Use meal planner to find right foods which may help you manage blood sugar under control. Use this free meal planner http://bit.ly/daDZ9s

Posted by: alicejohn | May 19, 2010 4:02 AM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts:

-F steroids in football. Nobody cares.

-Nice to see the Wiz win the lottery in a draft where there's someone actually worthy of a #1 overall pick available. Looking back at the '01 draft, even if the Wiz got a mulligan on that horrendous Kwame Brown pick, the best they could have done was Pau Gasol. Hardly a guy to build your franchise around. After reading the Wilbon column and seeing Magic Johnson's take on John Wall, I'm loving our chances going forward. Get Wall in June, then get Kevin Durant next year. Championship!

-I wasn't on here yesterday, but I'm pretty sure somebody had to have started throwing out trade scenarios for Andre Johnson in light of his unhappiness with his contract. I think the Texans will hook him up, but if Johnson and/or Houston digs in their heels and this starts to get ugly, the Skins make way too much sense in a trade. A 1st rounder along with Haynesworth, Devin Thomas and/or Malcom Kelly should be enough to get it done.

It's a long shot...but so was Philly trading DMac to Washington....

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow.This speculation is out of control. Some real retards on RI.

Maybe it was, uhhhh....Hunter the Punter. I mean did you see the TD run and the pass to Mike Sellers.There is probably a correlation.

And yes HGH should be banned, anything that helps your body heal faster than normal is cheating. Football players, not Wolverine.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow.This speculation is out of control. Some real retards on RI.

We could jib-jab about something else if you'd like. Like maybe porn stars, politics, or hip-hop. Maybe you can pick a topic for the day.

BTW, my money's on Randy Thomas!

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Damn it's dead up here...

Well, try some Skins related ESPN stuff:

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

**NBA Post**

C's went up 2-0 on the Magic... that series is OVER and DONE.

RE: Wall vs. Turner

If you're banking on the fact what a player could be three years from now then all that does is raise his bust potential.

I don't see why you wouldn't take the best player as of today.

People did the same thing with Oden and Durant. People saw the potential in Oden and argued that you couldn't teach height, and that he should be chosen first overall based on that.

Kevin Durant was clearly a better player. Better skill set and better overall talent.

How's that working out for Portland these days?

I find it funny that people are gushing all over John Wall because of popularity. Wall is good, and three years from now he can be as good as any point guard in the league. But why draft "potential" over "proven"?

Wall has many holes in his game for a PG. First of all he turns the ball over a little too much, his jump shot isn't consistent, and he still has to master how to run the offense in the half court. To master all of that could take years.

Or never happen at all.

A lot of folks looked plum dumb when Evan Turner was voted college player of the year. And they, the AP got it right. It's not a popularity contest.

Or a "best dance" contest.

Draft Evan Turner. The man is ready to contribute now -- today -- not three years from now.

Then sign a max contract guy then a mid-level guy.

**End NBA Post**

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

ESPN is breaking a story that Rashad Lewis has been kidnapped, as he's been missing since the start of the series vs. Boston.

"A 1st rounder along with Haynesworth, Devin Thomas and/or Malcom Kelly"

Thats a TON to give up Brownie....not saying he's not a great player because he is, but 3 for 1 is hardly what this team needs...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Then sign a max contract guy then a mid-level guy.

**End NBA Post**

Posted by: RedDMV

If I gotta wait three years for Wall to develop into a better version of Rajon Rondo, then sign me up for that.

Sorry Red, but the wizards ain't winning anything with Turner in the next 1 to 2 years especially if this organization is banking on Gil the ballhog to run the point again.
Time to get this organization going in a new direction.
Wall has the potential to be that next level player you can build around, you can't pass on that!

Go after a Rudy Gay when he hits FA or go get Durant in a couple of years when Wall gets his NBA legs under him.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"Springs, who was used all over the field during his previous five years in Washington, spent most of the last season with the Patriots practicing at safety, not cornerback. It wasn't until the final four games of the year that he saw significant practice time at corner"

I'd be ok if the Skins brought Springs back.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Continued from last post.....
One more point about taking Wall and not Turner, look at the nature of the NBA today. The best team's players today are more likely to be point guards, and not big men. Look at Boston, Phoenix, Utah, Miami, LA, Chicago, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Orlando etc for proof of this.

You've got to have a dynamic guy at the point to win these days.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 8:15 AM

The only way you're prying an elite WR away is if you do a deal like that. Whether or not it's worth the Redskins while is on the other side of the coin...but it's gonna take something like that to get Houston to sit up and give it serious consideration.

I'm not necessarily saying the Skins SHOULD do a deal like that, but Allen should be at least calling Houston to see what it would take to reunite Johnson with Shanahan...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

what kind of GD pictures are those?

You carve from snow, eh?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 8:16 PM
.................

yeah, i made those sculptures. this winter was fan-freakin-tastic for me. if you go to page 2 you'll see my "exasperated chief" jack-o-lantern. i feel kind of bad about that pumpkin, but remember, it was during the depths of the cerrato/zorn era....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 19, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Well the only thing they can do with Arenas is trade him to make way for Wall to run the point.

That's an unlikely scenario.

Moving Arenas to the two WILL NOT work. It'll be like the A.I. experiment at the 2-guard.

It won't work. Arenas needs the ball in his hands to be successful in an offense. He can't rely on others to set him up, that just isn't his game.

And comparing Rondo to Wall is laughable, pred48. The comparisons begin and end with them both attending Kentucky.

If Wall were drafted here, he wouldn't have three potential future HOF'ers to help elevate his game.

The surrounding parts made Rondo the PG he is today. Garnett, Allen, Pierce.

And as much as I'd like to see it. KD ain't coming to D.C. First of all Durant is on record saying that he "loves" OKC, that it fits his "personality" laid back and chill. If he were to come to D.C. people would expect the world of Durant him being the hometown hero. Think: James, Lebron

And why would Durant leave a team that's better than what the Wizards have in D.C.?

You don't go mortgaging your future on potential free agents down the road. You never know what may change from year to year.

The Wizards have four picks in the upcoming draft. They need to keep them all and pick wisely.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I'd be ok if the Skins brought Springs back.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 8:23 AM

So would I...we sure could use the depth.

As for the John Wall talk: Magic Johnson said he's got the goods. Not to sound like Wilbon, but if Magic Johnson says Wall is a great PG, I'm betting that Wall is a great PG.

I mean, he can't be worse than Kwame Brown...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

The surrounding parts made Rondo the PG he is today. Garnett, Allen, Pierce.

co-sign...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

jeez....re HGH:
23 players (11 from cleveland!) in 8 cities.... holy moly...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 19, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

You've got to have a dynamic guy at the point to win these days.

Posted by: Predator48

The only thing "dynamic" about Wall as of today is the fact the he can get to the basket and create from there.

You're overlooking everything else that entails what a legit PG is.

On-ball defense/Perimeter defense
Run a half-court offense
Ball security/Turnover prevention
Perimeter shooting

Those are the things that are lacking in Wall's game.

Again, there is a very good chance that down the road that Wall could develop those things. Keyword being Could...

And Turner at 6-7 isn't a "big man". He's a skilled perimeter player which is just as vital as talented PG in today's NBA.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

John Wall will be awesome and the Wizards should make a serious attempt to land Bosh and Joe Johnson..The HGH probably went to R. Thomas or Samuels or somebody to treat an injury..I understand that 'roids and HGH are acceptable under certain circumstances of injury- are there some specific guidelines?? Or is it just corporate Mammon doing whatever the hell it wants?? As for Cushing, Hell, the Boz woulda won DROY and Pro Bowl if he was allowed to spike to treat an injury his rookie year, too...(Boz now lives in a trailer drinking beer, selling blood and watching ESPN..kinda like me..)

Posted by: frak | May 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

brown, that's shallow minded to think just because someone, albeit an NBA legend, vouches for a guy, that he must be right.

Since we're going off the word of Laker legends, Kobe Bryant is on record saying that he believes Evan Turner is the better pick, so there you go...

Go back and check how many people were saying that Oden was the better pick over Durant. I'm sure you'd find all sorts of past and current players of prestige making the case for Oden over Durant.

And three years later, they're wrong.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

red, rondo is a legit rebounder as well...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Red, I'm surprised at your take on this.

The argument to take Turner over Wall reminds me of the argument people were making to take Emeka Okafor over Dwight Howard years ago.

6'7'' perimeter scoring swingmen are available in every draft - and Turner's rebounding numbers in college are a mirage. There's no way a 6'7'' G/F with so-so athleticism grabs anywhere near 9 boards a game in the NBA.

The Wiz have a long recent history of stockpiling tweener G/Fs on this team and what has it brought them?

6'4'' PGs with a 6'8'' wingspan who are athletic freaks and whose potential has barely been scratched are a much rarer commodity. Wall made Kentucky good last year - yes I know it helped to have Cousins there as well, but the things Wall were doing as a freshman were outstanding.

Look at the past 2 ROYs in the NBA - Tyreke Evans and Derrick Rose.

Look at the difference Michael Westbrook has made at OKC.

Look at what Chris Paul instantly did to New Orleans.

The Wizard's play is to grab Wall, pass on the FAs this year and make a run at bringing Kevin Durant home in 2011.

A team built around Wall-Durant could compete in East for a decade to come.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

When I type beep-beep, I want all you guys to join me on the new thread.

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | May 19, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

bean, Rondo most definitely gets on the boards. Dude's a helluva rebounder!

I had no idea that he'd be that good.

People have to understand that Rondo has played with Garnett, Allen and Pierce his ENTIRE career. If they think that Rondo would be the player that he is today without playing with those guys then they're delusional.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

And three years later, they're wrong.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I look at the Oden-Durant draft and see it the opposite.

Oden was the "safe" pick. A standard in-the paint center.

Durant was the athletic freak, the positional mismatch.

If anything the argument for Turner is that he's the "safe" pick - like Oden.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

You're overlooking everything else that entails what a legit PG is.

On-ball defense/Perimeter defense
Run a half-court offense
Ball security/Turnover prevention
Perimeter shooting

Those are the things that are lacking in Wall's game.

Posted by: RedDMV

Your points are valid Red, and theres a "could" factor with everybody that comes out. I recall Rondo having much of the same questions about him when he was drafted, but the Celts let him develop a few years, and now he's carrying that team.

Good perimeter players can be found a number of ways, but a potential Derrick Rose type player who can run the offense instead of trying to be the offense (Agent Zero), comes around maybe once or twice a decade.

Like I said before, you let him develop his true pg game, and target Kevin Durant when he hits the FA market in a couple of years.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 8:55 AM

Red, you'll excuse me if I listen to one of the greatest PGs in NBA history for PG evaluations over a bunch of fellow slappies on an NFL blog. Just as people sit up and listen when Dan Marino analyzes another QB or Rod Woodson gives his take on a young, up and coming DB, I'll throw a little respect Magic Johnson's way when he's talking PGs. I'm not saying Wall is an air-tight lock to be great because Magic says so, but if he thinks Wall has the goods, I'll take him at his word.

As for the "go back and check how many people were saying that Oden was the better pick over Durant" stuff...hindsight is 20/20, dude. You can't necessarily predict that a guy is gonna be injury prone. Both guys were dominant in college and both guys suffered injuries their last year before going pro. They were 1a and 1b that year...there's no way you could have predicted that Durant would be a so much better pick at the time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs had knee issues around that time!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | May 19, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse