Can't Wait for News? Sign Up for Text Messages

Redskins Insider Faithful,

Here at washingtonpost.com, we have a lot of plans in the works for the upcoming season. You'll see some new stuff during training camp (I hear that starts soon), and more as the regular season starts.

Here's one that will start next week: Text-message alerts for the latest Redskins news. Our goal is to send out a text message the moment we post a blog item or story that would seem to be the biggest Redskins news of the day. So in total, we're guessing 5 to 7 texts a week.

If you are interested, text "REDSKINS" to "WPOST" (97678 if you're numerically-oriented). You'll receive a confirmation text, and will have to reply "OK" to that.

You can send a "STOP" message to the same number (97678) at any point to stop receiving the texts.

That's it. Easy. Would love to see some of you sign up and let us know what you think of the service.

Thanks,

Jon DeNunzio
Sports editor, washingtonpost.com

By Jon DeNunzio  |  July 18, 2008; 1:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas Agrees To Terms
Next: Fred Davis Agrees to Terms - 4 Year Deal

Comments

1st

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

(97678 if you're numerically-oriented).

I wonderf if I fall into this group. lol

Posted by: jm220 | July 18, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, gotta get a Jesus Phone now...

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: Karen | July 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

So, you mean, I could actually leave my desk?

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

What's this gonna cost me?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Karen is a fake.

Girls don't do the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. posts bits.......

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Now way they're gonna have 6 WRs on a 53man roster ...

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 2:04 PM

But because of the elimination of the six additional guys they were allowed to keep around b/c of NFL Europe, I'm guessing that WR is the position grouping that is the last one trimmed to size ... in order to avoid unnecessary hammy pulls by WRs who are supposed to make the roster.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Foh Freee???

Posted by: CowboyFanFromSIcommercial | July 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Washington Post. Not only for offering these updates via text, but for giving the company I work for business by purchasing a short code.

Much appreciated!

Posted by: swb | July 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Triva question: Other than being on the Skins roster, what do Antwaan Randel-El and Stuart Schweigert have in common?

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Just sign up.

Sween - 53 man roster didn't have any exemptions for NFL Europa. That is just for training camp/preseason.

Looking again at my post, I meant to say 'No way they're keeping 6 WR on a 53 man roster'....

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I know that ... I'm just saying that WR is the last position to get cut down when they get to 53.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Let's all welcome the Washington Post to 1999.

What about Twitter? Facebook? Pownce? YouTube?

Posted by: P Diddy | July 18, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Anyone wanna start a pool as to when Frost gets cut?

I'm putting myself down for August 26th.

Posted by: swb | July 18, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

diddy,

I missed your review of iPhone 2.0.

And, speaking of Seattle, how many Starbucks are you losing? Only one here in DC, and I think it's one they haven't even opened yet.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Karen is a fake.
Girls don't do the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. posts bits.......
Posted by: | July 18, 2008 2:10 PM

So you're suggesting that someone is claiming "2nd" comment using a fake name? What kind of pwnage is that?

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 18, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We are losing a Starbucks in a gas station and a Starbucks in a run-down part of town. Other than that, my three regular locations are intact. (I'm in a SBUX right now, as it turns out)

Basic gist of iPhone 3G:

- All the software (including Exchange support and the App Store) is available on iPhone 1.0
- AT&T is the worst carrier on the planet and 3G on AT&T is only marginally faster than EDGE
- "Push" email is broken in the software and not only works intermittently, but also drains the battery on the iPhone 3G
- Battery life on ALL 3G devices sucks, and the iPhone 3G is probably the best of all of them on that front
- GPS in the iPhone 3G is actually quite good

In short: get the iPhone 3G if you HAVE TO HAVE the latest gadget (like me) or are new to the iPhone. If you have an existing iPhone and love it, upgrade the software, and stick with it...you'll appreciate the battery life more.

BTW, the absolute best thing about the iPhone these days is the App Store. The Facebook, MySpace, UrbanSpoon, and Evernote applications are killer. The Trism and Super Monkey Ball games are incredible. Hail to the nerds for building some great software for the Jesus Phone.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 18, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Frosty gets cut earlier. The 'Skins need the roster spot for more wide receivers. Sources tell me that the Zorn Star is going to use my flag football team's playbook this season. 1 QB, 7 eligible receivers.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I heard yaw were trying to wake me up so we could sign a contract.

Posted by: Fred Sanford | July 18, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

1 QB, 7 eligible receivers.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 18, 2008 2:25 PM

Flag football requires a center to block, so it would be 1 QB, 1 center, 6 eligible recievers ... and its already been done. It's called the Arena Football League ... and its awesome (but don't get up to go to the bathroom b/c you'll miss about 6 changes of possession and 18 points).

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"I'm going to make him an offer he can't Chris Larry."

Posted by: Vito Corleone | July 18, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 18, 2008 2:22 PM

Someone did that to my name yesterday.....

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy, I think that they're gonna wait until the cut down to 75 players. This way, they let Frost and Brooks compete through 4 preseason games to see if Brooks has what it takes.

Posted by: swb | July 18, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Love means never having to say you're Chris Larry."

Posted by: Jennifer Cavillari Barret | July 18, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe now that Gibbs is gone we can cut some of those "feel sorry for you" players like, Thrash and Doughty.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Soylent Green is Chris Larry!"

Posted by: Charlton Heston | July 18, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

swb, I'm with PDiddy on this one. I'm guessing that, once Durant proves he can pooch punt effectively, Frost is gone for roster/body/sub reasons ... and that if Durant doesn't work out, the team Stoutmires Frost, who in all likelihood will be available. Its an ugly dance, but it pays the mortgage.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Kudos WaPost!

Posted by: Keenan | July 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Both Doughty and Schweigert WILL be on the 53 man roster ... its just a question of which one is on the field for the first defensive snap.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Let's all welcome the Washington Post to 1999.

What about Twitter? Facebook? Pownce? YouTube?

Posted by: P Diddy | July 18, 2008 2:15 PM

-----

Fair point. Or at least somewhat fair. It's still an effective way of letting people know there's news.

Twitter is another thing we are looking at. Stay tuned. Facebook is a good idea, too.

I will admit I am not familiar with Pownce. Will check it out.

-- Jon

PS -- For those of you asking about cost, I believe standard txt msg rates would apply.

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | July 18, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

When you text washington post...it say "OTHER CHARGES MAY APPLY" what are these other charges? is there a charge for this service? (im still gonna do it, just want to know)

Posted by: jgibbs | July 18, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Doughty stinks. He was only on the team because Gibbs is the Lord's shepherd and felt sorry for him.

Posted by: ds | July 18, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

jgibbs, if you repaint that orange car a nice dark blue and put "Washingtonpost.com" on it in big letters, I can probably cut you a deal on the text msg. rate.

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 18, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, thats a truly uninformed opinion, but it seems to suit you.

Posted by: Greg | July 18, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Good point, Sween. I can really see it going either way, depending on early performances at other positions.

Thoughts on the Mix/Thrash battle for a WR spot? I think I read that Zorn is already following in Gibbs' foot steps and praising Thrash. Still though, age could be a deciding factor here. Mix really turned it up on special teams at the end of last year, and I have a feeling that's where he'll have a chance to make a real impact this year too.

Posted by: swb | July 18, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

... I think I read that Zorn is already following in Gibbs' foot steps and praising Thrash. ...

Posted by: swb | July 18, 2008 2:53 PM

I'm not crystal on this, but I think Thrash is the Skins' rep for the players' union.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought that was Jansen?

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 18, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

From Espn.com

How quickly can Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell learn another offensive system?
Campbell has grown as a QB and improved every season, but with first-year head coach Jim Zorn now running the show, Campbell is on his third offense in four years with the Redskins. Of course, this is nothing new for Campbell as he had four different coordinators in his four years at Auburn. Campbell is a tall, strong-armed QB who throws the deep ball well. The Skins' new version of the West Coast offense is going to be a great fit for him because he flourished in a similar system in his senior year at Auburn. Some things will be different, obviously, but he has plenty of practice at learning new systems, and has show he is a quick study and a hard worker in the film room. This new offense shouldn't slow him down and he could be poised for a big season.

Posted by: jm220 | July 18, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Of all the gin joints in all the world, Chris Larry had to walk into mine."

Posted by: Casablanca | July 18, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

football season must be close.

Greg is back to his ol' cranky "where's my geritol" ways.

chill, gramps.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 3:01 PM

Crystal Balls predicts the furutre.

Thrash has been and is currently the Skins' player rep.

But, That dosen't mean anything when it comes to making a team. Just ask former, not only player rep but Player Rep Union President, Troy Vincent.....

Ofcourse, he dosen't hold that title anymore, though......

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

lol, I'm from Boston, what did you expect. We're not exactly known for our kindness.

Where is my geritol anyway?? rc, did you borrow my geritol again, dagnabbit....

Posted by: Greg | July 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that I want to be texted the minute that there is a post telling us so and so just broke their leg and is out for the season........I kind of open the sports page with one eye shut during training camp as it is.......

Posted by: dlhaze | July 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

enough analyzing and talking. can somebody just knock someone's block off already?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 18, 2008 3:25 PM

Listen up girly-man. Only we get to say enough talk! Now go away before we pommel you with our gigantic moscles. You flubble bubble belly butt!

Posted by: hanz und franz | July 18, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I dunno if I need it. I usually check every few hours anyway, if not ever 5 minutes.

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 18, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

4th, when I said I wasn't crystal, I meant I wasn't crystal clear ... also, I think correct usage of the term crystal balls up here would be "crystal rabachs" (or, for one anon, crystal nads).

cload, there may have been a time in Jansen's life when he would have been a natural to be union rep (he's from Clawson), but his time in Ann Arbor would have drained that out of him ... kind of like switching from black coffee in a styrofoam cup to an extra hot, half caff, half skim venti latte with a shot of patchouli.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Say hello to my little Chris Larry."

Posted by: Tony Montana | July 18, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgibbs | July 18, 2008 2:47 PM

-----

That just means that you'll be charged for this like any other text messages, however your plan handles it. No extra fees.

- Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | July 18, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Fred Davis to pick a number other than 85 when he signs? I would like to see him in a 40 somthin' to sync up with Cooley?

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Forget it, Chris Larry, it's Chinatown."

Posted by: Duffy | July 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 3:50 PM

a Greg to a PDiddy?

Posted by: In A Nutshell | July 18, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Can they text reader comments also?

"You have *176* New Messages"

"Message 1: First BONG!"

Posted by: Josh | July 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I would like text messages only of guest blogs about Chris Larry.

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 18, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

You kissed me and stopped me from shaking, but I sent you away Chris Larry

Posted by: Barry Manilow | July 18, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

You had me at Chris Larry

Posted by: Rene Zelwiger | July 18, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins will keep six WRs on the roster:

Moss
Randle-El
Thomas
Kelly
Mix
Thrash

But Thrash makes it for special teams at the expense of a 4th RB (Mason).

Posted by: Siris | July 18, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

F the chris larry "jokes"

Posted by: filling in for the F Guy | July 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

has it been determined yet that a WR will wear our dear ole friend, B Lloyd's number?

It would be most appreciated if we could forget B Lloyd ASAP.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | July 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

if i was chris larry i wouldnt leak out any more personal info about myself on this blog. next thing you know you are gonna see some weirdo peering through your window. give it a rest fatal attraction.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with 4th that they will only keep 5 WRs on the 53 man roster ... because I think they will keep 3 TEs on that roster.

Also, I don't think that the competition is only Mix v. Thrash for the #5 spot ... Billy McMullen might figure out its his make/break chance for his career (and he's big enough to be a teamer like Mix or Thrash). I do think the other receivers without the accrued seasons (Toler, Gant, other(s)?) are only competing for the practice squad spot. I'm not sure Mix or McMullen are eligible to be on the practice squad anymore.

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Can they text reader comments also?

"You have *176* New Messages"

"Message 1: First BONG!"

Posted by: Josh | July 18, 2008 4:01 PM

Best post of the day!

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Jon, if I text HOTSPORTSBABE can I get a date with Cindy?

Posted by: noone.from.tampa | July 18, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins will keep six WRs on the roster:

Moss
Randle-El
Thomas
Kelly
Mix
Thrash

But Thrash makes it for special teams at the expense of a 4th RB (Mason).

Posted by: Siris | July 18, 2008 4:29 PM

There's only 3 RBs on a 53 man roster. Mason was the '4th' RB last year and he was on the practice squad the whole year. Mix plays STs similar to Thrash.

LAst year after Lloyd was put on IR they only had 5 WRs (Moss, ARE, Caldwell, Mix, McCardell)

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

It would be most appreciated if we could forget B Lloyd ASAP.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | July 18, 2008 4:31 PM

That's a good one Ray -- retire the guy's number because we hated him so much.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that Fred Davis's contract is probably the most difficult one to negotiate. The second rounders have a lot of incentives in their contracts in case they become starters. This is a reasonable prospect for the two WRs who could start in their second or third seasons (please, dear God, let it be).

But poor old Fred, he's stuck behind Cooley. So coming up with incentives for him would have been easy if he'd been drafted by Miami or Seattle or....

But what incentives do you give a guy who's drafted as a situational TE? That's what they're discussing right now.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm out have a good weekend all. On monday the football season will officially be underway. Cheers.

Posted by: Skinz | July 18, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm holding out for the Bugs Bunny alarm clock

Posted by: Fred Davis | July 18, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 4:46 PM

4th, didn't they pick up Mix after they put Lloyd on IR? If they had six before that, though, it was because of nagging injuries to Moss, ARE.

The article by Fitzgerald on Redskins.com says that the competition is for fifth wide receiver, not sixth:

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if WPost will rock the standard text lingo. I'll puke in my own mouth if I get a text that says: 'Zorn says skins are totes on track. ROTFLMAO! TTFN'

I just remembered that I am not a teenage girl and that I hate texting. Still, instant updates are mint.

I would like to text a digital sherpa, german shepherd, and a flask of coffee to the residence of Fred Davis so that he might climb the mountain of timeliness.

Dark Knight on IMAX tonight. What.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | July 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Any news yet on when the season starts?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 18, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

The NFL football season, I mean.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 18, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I want to make sure it's marked on my calendar so I don't miss it.
Thanks, Hamsters, for any help you might be able to provide.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 18, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

You mean Sept. 4th?

Posted by: dcsween | July 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 4:46 PM

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 4:57 PM

That's what I meant. We're on the same page on that..

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Willie,

The answer is that Jason Goode, a TE from the University of Maryland, is wearing #85. He could get cut when Davis signs although The Turk (sween) sez it will be Tyler Ecker. The Turk bases this prediction on LIFO accounting and Spidey sense.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

thanks sween, yer a peach. i think i heard somethin' 'bout us playin' that stinkin' team from NY on thurs, but wasn't sure it was true.
sept 4th. got it. wrote it down.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 18, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Is there another Willie in here?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 18, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Wee Willie Keeler?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Willie Mays?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Is there another Willie in here?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 18, 2008 5:34 PM

Same first name, different last name. I was thinking of Redskin Ray. I never was good with names and even when I was lucky with them, I couldn't associate them with faces.

Posted by: Redskin Talent Evaluator | July 18, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Willie Nelson?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Free Willie?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Jon -

This is cool. I assume I can text "Redskins & Nationals" in one message to sign up for both right?

Oh, wait.

Posted by: WebberDC | July 18, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Willie Wonka?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

facebook, myspace etc. are for the short bus riders. get out and converse with people face-to-face. way lame. geeks.

Posted by: cheeba | July 18, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

cheeba knows the meaning of "irony"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"Chris Larry always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Posted by: Forrest Gump | July 18, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Willie Randolph

Posted by: NY Mets Fan | July 18, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

saggy nads

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cheeba | July 18, 2008 6:25 PM

But, if you don't like that face-to-face contact, then posting on Redskins Insider is just as good. Right, cheeba?

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 18, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 18, 2008 2:35 PM

And that stupid Lord's sheppard comment from ds.

Newsflash! Zorn is a Christian too.

So when Thrash and Doughty make the team on their merits keep believing in the CHRISTIAN CONSPIRACY! Jesus, save us from this sh!T

I think they'll keep 6 WRs too.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 18, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

On this late Friday afternoon on a hot July day, let us not forget that today George W Bush, our 43rd President has become the most famous, the ultimate, the most disgaceful Flip Flopper in the History of the United States of America......

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 9:10 PM

You know, if he's President for a thousand years he will never come close to that pig Bill Clinton who was impeached for getting a blow job in the Oval Office and then lying to the American public.

And 4th, you sanctimonious twirp, why don't you take this stuff to a political blog? It doesn't belong here on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Clinton never got impeached. Besides, I'd prefer a president that actually gets the job done in comparison to one that claims to be holy and F's the nation up in every other way.

And yes, I am a female; you don't want me to explain how I know. (this is towards the poster way up at the top)

Posted by: Karen | July 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Clinton never got impeached.
Mr. Clinton was impeached, and acquitted by the Senate.
A surprisingly accurate Wikipedia article

The impeachment was Clinton's true lasting legacy, and was probably the most important non-systemic reason for the election of Mr. Bush.

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 18, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought the supreme court elected Bush...

I also thought Clinton's legacy was a budget surplus...

but whateves....take it to the Fix...

Posted by: chris larry | July 18, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

wait...Portis lied about a BJ??????

Posted by: chris LArry | July 18, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Since it's Friday and there are no TCCLs anywhere in sight, we'd like to take this opportunity to establish a new weekly award system: The Loser of the Week award.

The inaugural winner of this prize is the anonymous poster sometimes known as "Mr. Lame", for his single-minded written assault on Chris Larry. Congratulations, Loser.

You have proven that it is possible to be boring, unoriginal, and unfunny for long periods of time. You have also proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that the psychological issues of fixation, obsessive-compulsive behavior, and low self-esteem are also not funny. We'd offer advice on seeking help and improved quality of life, but you wouldn't listen anyway.

So have a miserable life, and enjoy your free MP3 download from Beck in the ITA Lounge.

Posted by: The Ad Hoc Awards Committee | July 18, 2008 11:34 AM
-----------------------------------------
From an earlier post:

On behalf of Chris Larry, I gladly accept this award. To quote Alanis Morrisette, "Isn't ironic," that today both Chris Larry and The Truth were no shows?

Posted by: Mr. Lame | July 19, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

You neglected to mention the sleeper sofa.
I forgot all about my air hockey table.
Relunctantly, helping chris larry move.

Posted by: Dunkin Donuts Commercial | July 19, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

please dont accept anything on behalf mr. lame...and I posted twice right before you...

Posted by: chris larry | July 19, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Where's Nate these days. I wonder what his take is on Fred Davis and the WR wonder twins.

Nice Article by Jasno on ole Springsy-baby. The guy misses Texas which is not to be trusted. Luckily he plays real good for us.

Posted by: Barney Fife | July 19, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Pat Kirwan writes about 5 story lines going into training camps, one of which is the Giants D and how other teams will emulate it:

"Steve Spagnuolo, the defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, opened up a can of worms when he perfected the "fire-zone" pressure package that brought the undefeated Patriots to their knees in Super Bowl XLII.

Nobody had a real answer on how to stop the Patriots offense, but now a blueprint is available if you have the right kind of players.

The Jaguars took two pass rushers to start their 2008 draft and they extended the contract of their best pass rusher, defensive end Paul Spicer. They look like a team that is building a Spagnuolo-like package, which they'll need having to deal with Peyton Manning -- as well as Tom Brady -- if they ever want to get to the Super Bowl."

Now two things strike me about this. The new D coordinator of Jacksonville is Gregg ("the second g is for genius") Williams, and I can't imagine that he likes being portrayed as a Steve Spagnuolo copy cat. But, on the other hand, Williams is stocking up on pass rushers rather than safeties, so he is at least "flexible" in his approach.

I've got to believe that Jacksonsville's D is going to be tough as long as Williams is there. And with Pearson Proileau in the mix maybe he didn't really need any more safeties.

This time tomorrow morning, Fred Davis will be hitting the snooze button on his alarm clock. If you were behind Chris Cooley on the depth chart, what would you be doing?

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 19, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Here are the betting odds in Las Vegas for winning the Super Bowl, and it looks like the 'Skins, number 18 on the list, aren't even going to make the playoffs.

Patriots: 3-1
Rams: 50-1
Lions: 60-1
Chiefs: 80-1
Falcons: 125-1

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 19, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Talent,

I also like what he said about more running likely to become a trend with defenses built to stop the pass. Look for the 'skins to try take advantage against the iggles and 'boys when they put three corners in to stop the pass. Portis to the secondary, "Roy did you miss me...again," TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON REDSKINSs! Hearing Larry Michales; wishing I was hearing Frank Herzog.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 19, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

T_E, put a C-note on the 'skins, it's better than six flags for sure!

It's all about the money. The bears 15-1? WTF? Hard schedule no qb, over-rated defense, what running game?

Posted by: bangkokben | July 19, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Got a wedding to go to. Out

Posted by: bangkokben | July 19, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, wish me luck, I'm going to my wedding rehearsal and getting married tomorrow. Hopefully when I get back from the honeymoon there will be plenty of good news to catch up on. HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 19, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 19, 2008 8:20 AM

scamp--Good luck, and when you come back from your honeymoon, we expect you to give us all the "good news".

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 19, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

The day before 'Skins training camp, and the WaPo leads with a riveting story on the history of the hula hoop.

Posted by: SCSkins | July 19, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | July 18, 2008 9:10 PM

Wow, just wow, 4th. Were you that drunk at only 9:10 pm? Do you think that when circumstances change that policies should change? Or are policies carved in stone like the Ten Commandments?

Iraq has an effective government and an effective military. Thanks to the US military surge, the foreign terrorists of Al Qaeda have been reduced to an insignificant band of radical, blood-thirsty Muslims. The Iraqi government has asked the US to set a timetable for withdrawal. And you think the response should be what? "No can do. That would be a flip-flop."

After urging a timetable, when the President moves toward one, your response is "flip-flop"? You and your ilk will not be satisfied unless the US is completely defeated in Iraq and you can crow "see, I told you so."

"Flip-flopping" would be all the Senators like Clinton who voted for the war and, when the going got tough, denied it or said that they were duped.

Posted by: Nouri al-Maliki | July 19, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

congrats s-camp, welcome to the club amd hope all goes well this weekend for you!

Posted by: chris LArry | July 19, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I voted for the war BEFORE I voted against it!!

Posted by: John Kerry | July 19, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Good luck S-Camp and congrats.

Posted by: Skinz | July 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Is the text-message service free or not? (other than my provider's charges...)

Posted by: Matt | July 21, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse