Cap Stuff/Cooley Stuff/JC Stuff/Random Stuff

According to people with access to this info, the Skins are currently $7 million under the cap, which is ample room to add a depth player should injuries arise, and also to account for any jump in Cooley's cap number should that get done soon (more on that in a paragraph or two).

Also, Skins have $2.1 million left under the rookie cap, which, given the low base salaries these guys make, is plenty of space for LaRon Landry. Those talks are ongoing.

As for Cooley, been sniffing around on that for a few days now and it seems highly unlikely that gets done before the start of camp. Still hashing a lot of stuff out. The Skins really want to make this one happen and I know Chris is looking to be compensated as one of the top tight ends in the game. They've been working at this for a while now, and these things can get pretty complicated.

Nothing imminent for now and I imagine they will keep talking through training camp and the regular season if necessary.

Some people have emailed me about Aaron Brooks working out here a while back, according to some reports. Haven't been able to confirm that but I do know there is no real interest in QBs now and things are pretty set. Not saying that it didn't happen, but if it did nothing came of it and no one has been talking about him out here.

JC is the starter and Brunell is far and away the favorite to be No. 2 and some people close to Todd Collins said the veteran is under no illusions that he will definitely be here this season. If Brooks did workout here, several people at The Park said it must have happened while they were on vacation, 'cause it's the first they heard of it (the only two players I know did indeed workout here over the past month or so are WR Keenan McCardell and LB Dhani Jones, who signed with the Saints recently).

Spent some time with JC today. The passing camp he was hoping to have with the WRs in Miami or Atlanta or Arizona or wherever .. well, it never materialized. Guys were spread out and Santana Moss was still nursing some injuries and couldn't run normally, so it never came together. A bunch of guys have been working out at The Park the past few weeks, though, and today Campbell was throwing to Moss and Antwaan Randle El. He said their timing was pretty impressive and they'll continue doing the sessions right up til camp starts Friday.

Also, Santana echoed JC's remarks about their informal throwing sessions and said he feels great, and the hamstring and groin stuff is not bothering him at all.

By Jason La Canfora  |  July 24, 2007; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Medical Check-up
Next: Adios Howard

Comments

Sign Cooley!

Posted by: KK | July 24, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Campbell deep to Moss! I can envision it now!

Posted by: Lisa | July 24, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Positive news on Cooley. I guess we wait patiently for that deal.

I would assume the Redskins audtion players for unexpected things during the season. (if Brooks came in) I like Culpepper and would like to see him come in for a work out.

I would like to see Landry in uniform to start camp.

Jason Campbell has to step up this year and I think he will. He needs a little continuity under his belt. Hopefully, Asaunders is here for awhile.

Of course, JC needs a good solid Oline, running game to help mix up things for his passing attack. The Offense needs to improve on stupid penalties. 2 and 4 not 2 and 9 because the snap count was communicated.

Posted by: Hbrg Fan | July 24, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"some people close to Todd Collins said the veteran is under no illusions that he will definitely be here this season."

What Sports Reporter Meant:

TC's agent told me to tell the world that I will be available during mid-August......

What about your report that turned out to be wrong and being picked across web and on the RI version for the Texans.......

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see them get Cooley signed long term. That would be huge for them. Glad to read about Campbell and the wide-outs. I'm really hoping that Lloyd can be a contributor to this team in a big way this year. He could really be the X-factor.

J-La, did you happen to catch Jon Lester last night? Everything baseball aside, what a great story. Taking the baseball into account, no way they could have Tavares start another game.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | July 24, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins FO screwed up, as usual. There is not enough money available to sign Landry, and not enough to sign Cooley to an extension unless they start cutting people like Collins and Brunell.

Predictions - Landry will hold out for a long time. Cooley will leave via Free Agency next March.

Way to go, Skins!

Posted by: Cap Clown | July 24, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

To follow up on your last message on the previous post, I agree with you on Brunell. He has done a lot for the 'Skins, and he still has more to offer. He doesn't deserve the hate that he gets here on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: KK | July 24, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the DL situation Jason? Are they going to make a move with the 7mil cap number?

Still don't think Brunell will make #2. Obviously they weren't happy with Collins in that role. Time will tell whether they will be happy with this set of QBs or not. If not they appear more likely to draft QBs. Gibbs only went for guys he already knew and had previously coached when he did. I think Gibbs (instead of Saunders) is still picking the QBs. He is better at it.

Cooley was listed as the #5 tight end on nfl.com's fantasy player rankings. He is the closest yet to Jerry Smith who was really almost more a wide receiver than a true tight end.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Cap Clown, WTF (SJK) are you talking about?!?!?

We are freakin (SJK) $7 Mil under the Cap. We are doing great. We have enough to sign Cooley to an extension and sign LL.

Sign Cooley now, before he has a 100 catch season and 18 TDs.......

The way agents and teams fit 1st rounders in the rookie pool with all of those gaurentees is to include a humongus roster bonus in the 2nd yr and only pay out a small signing bonus with a base salary in the 1st........

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Cap Clown--

I think it was you who screwed up not the FO. Go back and read the first two paragraphs of Jason's post: Plenty of money for Cooley, Landry, and a depth player. How does that lead to a long holdout and Cooley leaving?

Posted by: KK | July 24, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Cap Clown, what part of:

What part of this was unclear to you?

Moron

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | July 24, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

A little concerned about the WR camp not coming together. Hopefully it's nothing but it could be some of the veterans bucking JC's leadership. There were unsubstantiated reports of aloof, standoffish behavior turning off some of the older players on the team. Like I said, unsubstantiated but noteworthy if this is part of a trend.

Posted by: jfriday | July 24, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

please elobarote jfriday?

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Greg in boston

lester is a great story just adds more depth to an already solid rotation.However... Baseball (even redsox baseball) just gets me from the end of the nfl football season to the point we right now... training camp.

holding most of my ammo for later as we move into it ... but i see it all about how the offense performs this year... JC and the passing game gotta score in the 20's consistently and be balanced. the d i'm not worried about ... we will be better, don't know about top 10 better, but younger healthier, faster, deeper in somee places lb/secondary... just better chemistry. Dline not so much, but i think we are ok. just gotta score.

Posted by: Old School | July 24, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins really want to make this one happen and I know Chris is looking to be compensated as one of the top tight ends in the game."

Makes sense, as Cooley is one of the top tight ends in the game. Man, I really would love to see them get the deal done. Nothing better for a young QB than a beast at TE. Well, a beast at TE and a great running game... sounds like a good situation here...

Posted by: VTMatt | July 24, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"Washington Redskins -- Players have been raving about the development of quarterback Jason Campbell. He has had an excellent offseason, but outsiders have to see how he is developing as a starter. Campbell didn't have a great pocket presence in his first year, but he was in a tough spot. Now, this is his team and his time to prove his ability. "

Posted by: 4th Floor via John Clayton's "What to Watch for NFC Training Camps" | July 24, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, Foxsports.com and Atlanta Journal Constitution is stating a possible qb pick up for the falcons could be Brunell (played for Falcons head coach Petrino, and former skins qb coach Bill Musgrave). Here's the link:http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/23/falconsqbs_0724.html I've heard recently that the Falcons aren't interested in Culpepper. Would this increase the chance of them trading for Brunell? Personally I would love to see that happen. Though Brunell is a decent veteran backup, I would love to be able to trade him for something (dare I say a draft pick) while we can, and have Collins as a 2nd qb (he does know the system) and a competition with Bramlet (NFL Europa World Bowl MVP) and Palmer (name says it all) for the 3rd qb position. Any rumblings around the Park on this one?

Posted by: Denesh | July 24, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Denesh | July 24, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Just pay Cooley now. If they are trying to nickel and dime him like they did to Dockery after shelling out large amounts of cash to other teams unproven scrubs (see BLLoyd) I am gonna be angrier with this FO than I already am. His offer should be short of Gates and Gonzalez but close to that neighborhood. TE's do not get huge deals.

Posted by: cdubb | July 24, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

jfriday, don't know where in the heck you got that from. I pretty much breathe Skins and I've never heard that. I heard Jason was quiet last season and sometimes was "thinking" too much but that is to be expected of someone who was thrust into the role of starting QB without any snaps. Santana was interviewed recently and said Jason is confident and having fun now.

Posted by: Lisa | July 24, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

" Stern said, "I'm surprised, but no more surprised than the head of the FBI, the head of CIA, when rogue employees turn on their country, with criminal activities, despite the best investigative procedures you can possibly imagine.
"

Wow. Compared the NBA ref to the a rogue CIA agent.......

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I don't like the idea of Cooley expecting to be paid like one of the top TE's in the game. Is he in the top 3? No. Top 5? No. Top 10? Maybe, maybe not.

I believe the man should be paid, but he was the top Skins pass-catcher last year because the other receivers were hurt or played like sjkt. I worry about the team paying superstar money for above-average talent.

And the news about the receivers and Campbell not meeting up in Miami is disappointing.

I like that the receivers showed up a few days early and are enjoying a little throw-and-catch with Campbell, but it would have said a lot about the mind-set of the offensive stars if they had taken the time out of their vacations to meet up and hang out for a few days, as TO and McNabb did before their superbowl run.

Campbell determining that his timing with the receivers was "pretty impressive" gives me hope, but it also gives me pause. How did this timing develop? Moss was hurt during mini-camp and JC didn't follow through on his plan to go to Miami.

Someone please point out where I'm wrong here so I can cheer up.

Posted by: mugamack | July 24, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hbrg Fan , The offensive line penalty tumor is now in Buffalo.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Cap Clown, you're an idiot.

Brunell will be #2, Bramlet #3 and Palmer practice squad,

Collins will be gone and Cooley will probably get signed sometime before week 5 at the latest, hopefully in the preseason. But if for some reason they trade Brunell to the Falcons, there isn't much they'll get back but a couple day 2 picks so its probably not worth it unless they can put it in a package for Brown or Briggs in Chicago and have alot of confidence in collins or bramlet.

Posted by: Uncle Spence | July 24, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

wow, some people love to hate. true the skins are annually f'in up the offseason with bonehead signings. we need to take a breath and realize that not every move is bad, the cap room is ok (for now), and we want an owner who is willing to spend moola! now the rationale, planning and scouting in the FO needs to be overhauled. but it could be worst...

Posted by: priceisright | July 24, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

So, if JC has a full five seconds to throw and the ball is in the air for say three seconds. How far will Moss be from the line of scrimmage when he makes the catch?

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

They could always trade Brunell to the Falcons for another running back.

Posted by: P Diddy | July 24, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, what about the train traveling at 35MPH from Cleveland? And, really, what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Posted by: P Diddy | July 24, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, Diddy--

Well stroked. LMGO.

Posted by: KK | July 24, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Stumped - if Moss runs a 40 in 4.4 (possibly faster) than he should be 63.6 yards from scrimmage when he scores a TD. The question now becomes, can JC throw a 63.6 yard ball accurately?

Posted by: 4skinz | July 24, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The point that they didn't meet up is depressing, only for the fact the WashPo and us fans (not just on RI, but the whole city) kept saying that this meeting would happen.

The quicker we get over it the better. Please, let's don't make this into a story. This was just super duper extra credit that they decided to pass on.

JC has been here virtually all the offseason. Let's focus on that....

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Re: Brunell to Atlanta.

Let's clarify this. AJC are the only ones reporting this and Fox Sports via Ben Maller picked up on it. The article itself did not make suggestions as "Sources close to the Falcons" or any thing like that. It was just shopwing the fact that Brunell has worked for Pertrino and and Musgrove before........

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Answer: It doesn't matter. You only have to complete one or two long balls to change everything.

Moss and others will be able to stretch the defense 60+ yards down the field, which should make Clindell (Clinton/Ladell) very happy.

Muga, Wake up, come out of it man!

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Muga - Really? You would say maybe Cooley in the top 10. I'd put him right up there with the Crumplers of the world right behind Gates and Gonzalez. My whole problem with it is they handed out a 10M bonus last year to 2 guys who gave us nothing. Now if we can't afford to get Cooley to a new deal and he has a great year we'll end up losing him. They keep talking about core Redskins blah blah blah. Then don't follow through on it.

Posted by: cdubb | July 24, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Brunell for Jamaal Anderson!

Posted by: mugamack | July 24, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Has anyoneone heard that mccardeligned to the texans because I havent heard anything about it until Jason blogged it so I think Mccardell is still a free agent.

Posted by: dave | July 24, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

4skinz- thats working on the assumption that Santana is running a straight route and not a post or possibly making the dangerous "double move"

the answer to your question Stumped, is the circumference of a moose!

go skins, 8-8, heard it hear first

Posted by: math class | July 24, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I am still waiting on him to reneg what he wrote earlier.

He must be SJKing out his 'source' at the moment.......

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

p.s. yahoo sporst preseason power rankings puts us at number 29 out of 32 teams. ridiculous, they put us behind the texans, cards, and lions????

skins are getting no respect, maybe we'll use it as motivation instead of finger-pointing and blaming Arch Deluxe

Posted by: math class | July 24, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Dump Brunell and Collins. Between Campbell, Palmer, & Bramlet somebody will step up!

Posted by: philoneaus | July 24, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Saw Cooley's name on this thread and had to comment. It's now been 11 months since I won La Canfora's Redskins song contest, and still have yet to receive my prize: A Chris Cooley signed copy of Heavy Metal Parking Lot (I think that was the title of the DVD). It was to be signed by Chris Cooley himself, but according to JLC, he never got it back from Cooley, and thus I never received my prize.

Once again, Boooooo Jason La Canfora.

Posted by: Barno | July 24, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Brunell for Ickey Woods!

Posted by: BT | July 24, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Math class - Actually, with moss, a double move is like a straight route - he's that good. If he's double teamed, i'll drop his time to 4.2 easy. If playing in Dallas, it automatically drops to 4.0. He will not require oxygen after this display of god-like speed.

Posted by: 4skinz | July 24, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I feel for you Barno. But all I can say it is probably best to drop it. I wouldn't blame Cooley, though.

Maybe JLaC is scared and dosn't want this to happen to him:

Posted by: 4th | July 24, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Those ranking don't mean anything. Remember last year when ESPN picked us to go to the NFC Championship?

Posted by: BT | July 24, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking,

shouldn't all these people with power rankings put their jobs on the line since they know sports so much, i say if they have a team in the 20's ranked and they end up in the playoffs they should get fired or if they personally cover the team and they predict they won't be in the top 2 in their division they should get fired if they make the playoffs. These sports writers or broadcasters need to start taking some responsibility.

Posted by: Uncle Spence | July 24, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

uncle spence... I guess we should fire the weatherman too for messing up VA's weather forecast all the time too...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

would have been nice to see Dhani Jones end up on the team (I know we have a logjam at LB) simply because I went to High School with him. JLC, I know it was just a workout, but I'm surprised there was no mention that Dhani was a local guy from Winston Churchill High School. I remember him 150 lbs lighter and sans-bowtie. good to see he got picked up regardless. thanks for the update!

Posted by: beggarsnthieves | July 24, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

preseason rankings are basically a joke. if the "experts" had to rely on their predictions for a paycheck, 99% of them would be bagging groceries.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 24, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

cdub

it was lloyd who was the disapointment he gave us zeeerrrooo. ARE had the ball in his hands about 100 times (catching returning, punts, throwing and reverses)and produced 5 tds. we need llyod to do about what he in SF 45/5 something like that. ARE will get the third most touches combined after portis and betts.expect the same or better from el.

Posted by: Old School | July 24, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

And be putting the eggs and chips at the bottom of the bag.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

if the Skins are 6-4, just as a hypothetical, and Campbell is out two games, do you really want TC or Bramlet or Palmer running the show?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 24, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Old School - I was talking about the LLoyd and Archuleta deals. I'm expecting more good things out of ARE right along with you. With a QB that can throw down the field he could have a breakout year.

Posted by: cdubb | July 24, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys, been trying to find some substantiation of what I posted earlier but the forum search is down on extremeskins.com. Take it for what it is (an internet rumor). I won't add fuel to the fire until I get something to substantiate it.

Posted by: jfriday | July 24, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

cdubb

what you said.

Posted by: Old School | July 24, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

With 7 mill in cap space, we could give CC a solid deal, I mean I don't think any TE is taking half that in cap space on any team. My guess is he would get 2-3 mill a year from the cap in the end.

From my research the 49ers V.Davis has the best deal right now for all TE's, signed last year 5 year/ $23 million/ $15.5 mill in guarantees. Correct me if I am wrong but its the guarantees that count against the cap only right? That puts his cap hit at $3.1 mill
I don't think CC should quite get that kind of $$. I could see it being close though.

Posted by: 35332 | July 24, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I love the guy, but if Cooley has even 2/3 of 18 TDs this year (that would be 12 for all you non-math majors), I will raise funds by walking from Cincinnati to DC adorning a mohawk (shout out to Riggo) and my Portis jersey, donating the proceeds to PETA, MADD and the American Cancer Society.

Posted by: LMG | July 24, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I love the guy, but if Cooley has even 2/3 of 18 TDs (that's 12 for all you non-math majors), I will raise funds by walking and/or tricycling from Cincinnati to DC adorning a Riggo-esque mohawk and my Portis jersey, donating the proceeds to PETA, MADD and the ACS. You can print that. Oh wait I just did.

Posted by: LMG (aka The Guest Blogger You Love to Hate) | July 24, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

35332...

The signing bonus is spread out equally in the cap. So if it's a $15M / 5 year deal, each of those 5 years, the cap hit for the signing bonus is $3M. If there's a roster bonus (a bonus for being on the roster), all of that bonus goes into the cap hit THAT year. Incentive bonuses (bonuses for accomplishing certain feats), I believe, gets charged the season after the feat is accomplished. Finally, base salaries are charged on the cap (that year), face-value, for as long as the player is on the squad.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Jason is going to be on Comcast Training Camp segment tonight.

Posted by: Lisa | July 24, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Lisa - Was that the real you last week with the LBM prediction? Or was it a fake like we thought?

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

- LMG

I will be laughing my guts out if the guy gets his 12tds!!!

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Needed a pick-me-up, so I went to the Dolphins preview page on ESPN. So much to look forward to with that game.

My favorite highlight: the battle between a 6th round pick rookie and an undersized, weak journeyman at starting guard:

Camp battle to watch
LG Chris Liwienski vs. Drew Mormino
The Dolphins don't have a starting left guard yet, and it could fall on the shoulders of rookie sixth-round pick Mormino. Mormino is versatile, having played both center and guard at Central Michigan. He lacks the good size and strength to match up inside but has a very good understanding of angles and body position due to his sound technique. Meanwhile, Liwienski is experienced and also offers versatility; he could fill in as a short-term starter. He is a smart, instinctive player who is best-suited in a confined area, where he can use his size and strength to maul defenders. Liwienski should come out on top; however, if both players struggle to make an impact, the Dolphins' offensive line will continue to have moving parts.

Posted by: mugamack | July 24, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Kost, it really was me. I can't stand LBM but I just have a feeling because the "so called experts" are writing LBM and the Giants off that it will be exactly the opposite. I truly hope that is not the case.

Speaking of writing teams off, both Jason and David Elfin from the Times just agreed with the so called experts. They both predict the Skins will be 3rd in the NFC East and WILL NOT make the playoffs.

Posted by: Lisa | July 24, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Jason doesn't think they are making the playoffs...

i guess we're all in trouble now

see u in 2008

Posted by: Uncle Spence | July 24, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Jason doesn't think they are making the playoffs...

i guess we're all in trouble now

see u in 2008

Posted by: Uncle Spence | July 24, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Lisa - SJK! Sorry!

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

My bad - Liwienski is big - 6'5" 325. He's just not good enough to secure a starting spot over an inexperienced, weak rookie

Posted by: mugamack | July 24, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

muga - Either way, it'll be nice to see Griff overpowering the winner!

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree this is a building year for us, but this is the NFC. Anything can happen.

Two or three injuries on any team in the NFC East will make them come apart like a retread on 495.

Look what happened to us last year.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

You know what they say, On Any Given Sunday.....

I hope we don't have any Thursday games!!!

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I guess I have more respect for Cooley than some of you folks here. My neighbor told me he will sign a 4/22mil, something in that area, sometime within a month.

Trade Brunell for a dimebag, two obstructed view preseason tickets, and maybe a chicken. Trade him for a conditional 8th rounder. If you can trade him, trade him! You might only get a couple second day picks for him? Yeah it would SJKing SJK to have Marques Colston.

The one thing I love about those power rankings in the Browns at #32. I want them to be a new kind of SJKtty. Can't believe football is finally here.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Kost,
Bear game 6 December is a Thursday.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

SCHEDULE with days of the week.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 vs. Dolphins 1pm ET CBS
Sunday, December 02, 2007 vs. Bills 1pm ET CBS
Thursday, December 06, 2007 vs. Bears 8:15pm ET NFL Network
Sunday, December 16, 2007 @ Giants 8:15pm ET NBC
Sunday, December 23, 2007 @ Vikings 1pm ET FOX
Sunday, December 30, 2007 vs. Cowboys 1pm ET FOX

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Has there ever been an NFL game played on a Tuesday or Wednesday? No? So on any given Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. TGIFootball!

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I just saw Gary Hogeboom lowlights (actually having no highlights, he just has lights) on NFL Network. This has to be one of the worst NFL Films productions ever. I don't think Jonathan Winters was drunk enough.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

SMACK,
Here's to Washington and Dallas battling it out for a playoff spot 30 December!

That's why God made the NFC East.

The Giants are a bunch of whiny babies and the Feagles, F them.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Right, so I guess I'll be seeing at least 3 games this year, maybe another 2-3 depending on tv scheduling.

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

kost,
So, Sunday here is Monday there...
How many games are televised on the opposite side of the planet?

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, it's killing me we have to wait until Nov. 18 to play. I predict that on Nov. 18, a 4-5 Skins team goes to meet a 5-4 Cowboys team. That's gonna be a huge game.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

kost how you doing man? Watching a replay of Man U/AC Milan 5/2/07. And it's all about to start up again. One of the many things I love about soccer is the 9 month season. Pretty much year round in World Cup years.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

It's always a war.

Someone will have to suck it up Big Time on here on the blog on 19 Nov and then wait until the end of the season for revenge.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

i'm with lisa i want brunell on the team. if his legs and shoulder are healthy he's gonna be hard to pass as the number 1.

i don't know. maybe i have a short memory. but the guy looked like he was 65 years old. he was slow. throws were weak and short. who knows maybe everything that was ailing him has healed.

Posted by: dealer | July 24, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

And while I'm in a good mood...

I don't think you guys need to worry about JC and your WRs not meeting up in the offseason. That's totally unrealistic in this day and age. It would be like asking WHAM! to get back together.

Seriously, the only way that really would have helped is if they brought in some world class DBs. You can't just run patterns for timing. That's fun for about 5 minutes.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 08:12 PM

Still having flashbacks to the hat trick for Cooley? All good points but you couldn't leave that Browns part out of there could you? F the Cowboys.

I guess Directv is not available internationally. I wouldn't be able to live outside the US from Sept-Feb.

Posted by: cdubb | July 24, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, if I could swallow the abuse from the FG game last year up here, I think I can handle anything that happens on Nov. 18. That SJKing game I swear. Nothing Worse Could Possibly Happen. Put that on my headstone.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Stumped - I get Monday Night Football, Sunday Night Football, usually a Sunday Double Header, and last year I got the Thursday Night NFL Network games as well.

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Both the top two WR's picked in the draft, Calvin Johnson and Ted Ginn Jnr. are holdouts from training camp. Would be nice if Ginn held out until say..... Week 2!

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

SMACK,
I hope we're not sucking hind teat (as they say)on the 19th. I don't know if I could watch such a game and then relive it on the blog. But then again, I'm a johnny come lately up here.
SJK.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Dealer your memory is fine. Save for the Jax game the only time Brunell looked okay was when he was padding his stats in the 4th quarter in games already decided as L's for us.

Posted by: cdubb | July 24, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

dealer two things:
(1)Mark Brunell is finished.
(2)Who you wit? How are you going with Emmitt Smith over me. Emmit doesn't know what the SJK he's talking about. It's against the law to even attend a dog fight in Va. (misdemeanor), and it's a felony to promote, organize, profit from, or wager on dogfighting. It's also a felony to possess, own, train, or sell any dog for the purpose of dog fighting; or to allow these activities to occur on your property. Any one of those felonies can get him one to five years. Double jeopardy doesn't apply to fed & state charges.

Posted by: LH | July 24, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

kost, that is killing me. It's reached the point where if a top athlete is signed before camp, he has a sjktty agent. It's all downhill from here. Holding out is the new signing. Stinks.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

kost,
Your coverage is better than I would have expected. It was hard to move out to OR, when I was use to just tuning in on the local DC network.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Well I was about 3 seconds away from dishing it out so that's why I don't hide when it comes time to take it. I just start looking for good crow recipes. Hiding feels a lot worse. But I think the proper order of the universe will be restored this year.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Kost --

Keep checking the internet for streaming broadcasts. I am more amazed each time as to how much US-based TV (legal and illegal) is now being streamed. I watched almost every USA soccer game during the Copa America tournament on the Net. That would not have happened even a year ago... otherwise, I am in same boat as you watching at best 3 Skins game this season.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess in time we'll know what that order is.

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Paps, problem is because of the time difference, I can't watch it live anyway, I'm usually at work.

If I end up missing a brilliant game, this website (www.pontel.com) has dvds of games for sale.

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

JLC rotoworld reported that the agent of kennan mccradlle said that there havent been any deals with the texans

Posted by: kirubel94 | July 24, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

i heard that the falcons are intrested in mark brunnel

Posted by: kirubel94 | July 24, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

i heard that the falcons are intrested in mark brunnel

Posted by: kirubel94 | July 24, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that is like blog roadkill up there.

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

i heard smack is a cowboys fan
cutting edge stuff up here

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I just watched that Moss video from the last post. That is why I have the mans jersey!

Now, I got on brunells case earlier, but one thing I noticed was that he was the one throwing most of those bombs to moss.

I would say 50% of his TD's were pruely him, the other 50% the QB had to get the ball there. And of those 50%, 90% were from brunell.

Im just sayin is all

Posted by: Zebra | July 24, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Paps;

What site did you watch the copa on?

Posted by: Zebra | July 24, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm. "sucking hind teat" -- now we're getting closer to what "shti" means. Should I be SJK?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Brunell is a good guy but he just doesn't have it anymore. What made Brunell a very good QB - athleticism - has faded due to age and injury. He can't make any throws or plays anymore. Brunell made plays with his feet when he was younger. And since he can no longer get away from the rush, he's looked to chuck it out of bounds at his first opportunity.

Posted by: LH | July 24, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Athleticism, and Jimmy Smith. Did that guy not drop a pass for 7 years?

Posted by: SMACK | July 24, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Jimmy Smith and what's his name......umm... Keenan McCardell! What's he up to these days anyway??

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

i think he signed with houston

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Copa games were being shown on GOL TV, which is broadcast on TVU Tuner (www.tvunetworks.com). We hooked up a laptop to a 40" LCD and picture was just fine to watch the matches.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

That Santana Moss video got me jacked up for the season! But then I realized that was probably all of the Redskins offensive touchdowns for the last 3 years combined. oops.

Those were clearly Brunell balls - noticed how Moss kept having to come back to the ball?

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

The quality of the soccer presented, was, however, not just fine.
Sure hope we can find some offense over the next year or so...

Posted by: cload and daggar | July 24, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Hate to be a tool, but I've been away from RI for a while (actually working)... what is SJK?

And where's Nate?

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Dont even get me started. It wasn't even our B squad. Our lack of finishing is ridiculous, and makes Landycakes look like Drogba. The only positive I took away from Copa was the surging development of Feilhaber in the middle.

Off to Hong Kong on Friday to see Liverpool-Portsmouth and Fulham-So. China team. Yes, exhibitions but they did bring 1st team players.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Why can't the NFL do what MLB does -- offer live streaming of all the games online for a fee? I would pay double what I paying for MLB.TV to see every Redskins game live on the Net (albeit no local blackouts as I'm overseas). I'm sure this has something to do with the TV contract, right?

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

And where's Nate?

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 24, 2007 11:03 PM

Actually working

Posted by: Stumped | July 24, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

SJK - Save Jack's Kids. In between comments bemoaning the lack of aggressive upgrading at DL, Jack made the --unfortunate, in retrospect -- choice of complaining about some of the language Up Here, as his kids read the blog.

Hilarity ensues.

Posted by: cload and daggar | July 24, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Sorry Jack's Kids?

Posted by: kost52 | July 24, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Big thumbs up to World Champ Aussie, Lauren Jackson, 47 points!

Posted by: kost52 | July 25, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

SJK= Sorry Jack's Kids. Has evolved into a noun/verb/adjective/adverb at this point.

Kost- Cadel Evans getting much press Down Under? Looks like a lock for a podium finish if he doesn't get dropped today. Of course, with the Vino news, the actual race might not get any more coverage.

Posted by: 4-12 | July 25, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

My top 10 TE and why Cooley should get just about whatever he wants.

Antonio Gates, SD
Todd Heap, BAL
Tony Gonzalez, KC
Jeremy Shockey, NYG
Chris Cooley, WAS
Alge Crumpler, ATL
Vernon Davis, SF
Desmond Clark, CHI
Dallas Clark, IND
Randy McMichael, STL

Posted by: 35332 | July 25, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

mea culpa. too much skimming these last couple of weeks. I thought we were self-censoring to protect their delicate ears, rather than apologizing.

Oh, and the big difference between MLB and NFL TV is that the NFL has national contracts, where MLB is much more local-focused. If you're NBC and you just ponied up $44 Gajillion for two preseason games and the occasional playoff game, you want those eyeballs on the commercial, not surfing for pron during breaks in the so-called "action".

Posted by: cload and daggar | July 25, 2007 12:20 AM | Report abuse

4-12 - Yeah he's getting press, probably even a bit more than usual since the other major Aussies are gone. He's hanging in there isn't he! I think he was 5th last year and 8th the year before? So he's pretty consistent. Do you hear about all the injuries O'Grady had? Sounds like he was hit by a truck!

Posted by: kost52 | July 25, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Tight End '06 stats
I got the TE stats from 06. Cooley ranks: 7th overall in yardage. 8th in rec and yds/per game. 5th in yds per catch (after removing persons with less then 30 catches). Tied for 4th in TD. 3rd in 20+ yd catch's, tied for first (5 way tie) in 40+ yd's

Player-Team-Rec-Yds-Avg-TDs

Antonio Gates-SD-16-71-924-13.0-9

Tony Gonzalez-KC-73-900-12.3-5

Kellen Winslow-CLE-89-875-9.8-3

Alge Crumpler-ATL-56-780-13.9-8

Todd Heap-BAL-73-765-10.5-6

Jason Witten-DAL-64-754-11.8-1

Chris Cooley-WAS-57-734-12.9-6

Benjamin Watson-NE-49-643-13.1-3

Randy McMichael-MIA-62-640-10.3-3

Desmond Clark-CHI-45-626-13.9-6

Posted by: 35332 | July 25, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

The NFL *DOES* offer online streaming of games, just not in the US. You have to login from an overseas router and signup with an overseas credit card. Via Yahoo. They introduced it last year. It's awesome.

If you're domestic, you need DirecTV. The lack of domestic online streaming is a direct function of the DirecTV contract.

When I was in Australia on sabbatical (I live in Sydney 2 months a year, August and December), the hotel installed a dish and figured out a way to make sure I could watch 'Skins games. This was during our playoff season 2 years ago. It was the single greatest thing anyone has ever done for me, and to this day I am so grateful and appreciative and I'm still friends with the majority of the staff from that hotel. Incidentally, once it was determined that the 'Skins would play on the road against Seattle, I cancelled my sabbatical and high-tailed it home. I also bought 25 'Skins ponchos and 25 'Skins blankets to distribute to all the homeless people around the stadium. If any of you were at the game (I met quite a few 'Skins fans the night before at the bar) now you know why all the homeless folks had 'Skins gear :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | July 25, 2007 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Diddy,
Too funny...love the win/win of gifting the homeless.

Posted by: Stumped | July 25, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Maybe a package deal with Brunell for John Abraham.

LOL

Posted by: periculum | July 25, 2007 2:22 AM | Report abuse

We have now entered into Day 2 of JLaC not mentioning anything about McCardell after he said he was about to sign with the Texans.

Did your source 'use' you?

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | July 25, 2007 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Maybe someone had the Steelers confused with the Redskins regarding the Aaron Brooks issue.

ProFootballTalk.com
POSTED 1:42 p.m. EDT, July 24, 2007

STEELERS SCOPING OUT THE VICK GENE POOL

"Last week, a reader tried to tell us that the Steelers would soon be signing free-agent quarterback Aaron Brooks. We ran the thing up the flagpole with some of our sources, and couldn't corroborate it.

We had no reason to doubt the tip that we'd receive, and we thought about posting it. But then we kept coming back to the fact that these are the Pittsburgh Steelers we're talking about. One of the most respected franchise in all of sports (with the exception of an unfortunate e-mail incident and a practice-squad pimp).

Why in the hell would the Pittsburgh Steelers be sniffing around Mike Vick's cousin?

But it's true. While the Steelers have not yet signed Brooks, John Clayton of ESPN.com reports (by way of KFFL) that the Steelers have visited with Brooks.

Presumably, Brooks would compete with Charlie Batch to serve as the primary backup to Ben Roethlisberger."

Posted by: The Crickets | July 25, 2007 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Info on some of the rookies coming into camp.

Posted by: The Crickets | July 25, 2007 3:56 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy - eternally grateful for the techie info on overseas viewing of Skins games.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 25, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Report: Briggs nears agreement, could be in camp on time
Updated: July 25, 2007, 3:29 AM ET

At one point, Lance Briggs said he would never play for the Chicago Bears again.

That stance may be a thing of past.

The Chicago Tribune reported that as of Tuesday night, there were strong indications the two sides were coming close to an agreement that would end a messy contract dispute and land Briggs in training camp on time.

According to the paper, Briggs' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the Bears have continued to negotiate even after the July 16 deadline for working out long-term contracts with franchise players. After a visit to Halas Hall last month, Rosenhaus said he had made some creative proposals to the team. But due to league rules, the sides can only agree to a one-year deal after the deadline.

The paper reported that one option was paying Briggs up front a large portion of the $7.2 million one-year contract the team tendered -- that would serve as a smaller signing bonus.

Reached by the newspaper on Tuesday night, Briggs declined to comment. But a teammate told the paper that Briggs had decided to sign and avoid a holdout.

Rosenhaus did not respond to inquiries by The Tribune.

Posted by: Paps in Manila | July 25, 2007 4:51 AM | Report abuse

Yeah me too! I might have to give it a berl!

Posted by: kost52 | July 25, 2007 4:56 AM | Report abuse

Late to chime in but nonetheless...

Is there really a Winston Churchill HS in the states? I know he was a helluva great orator and held the 'civilized' world together against the tyranny of the Nazis but would there be a Franklin Roosevelt HS in Cornwall or Derby or Ipswich? I think not. Any other Americans worthy of being honored with naming of a school?

Posted by: bangkokben | July 25, 2007 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Paps,

Thanks for the tvu networks link, can't wait to find something to watch on the tube.

Here's an piece that predicts the 'skins to win the division. Look at the record.

LMGO

Posted by: bangkokben | July 25, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Bangkokben--

Americans worthy of a high school name? Plenty. Start with Ronald Regan.

The tough question is whether there are any Bangkokians worthy of a high school designation and whether anyone outside Bangkok can spell or pronounce their name.

Posted by: KK | July 25, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Americans worthy of a high school name? Plenty. Start with Ronald Regan.

This explains a lot.

Posted by: LH | July 25, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

The county next door to mine down here in NC just open a new high school. It's name-- Ronald Reagan H.S.

Posted by: ME | July 25, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

On nfl.com under transactions it says mccardell signed with the texans, it looks like jason got it right after all.

Posted by: Uncle Spence | July 25, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 24, 2007 05:37 PM

If JC clicks enough this year to get us into the January season, I think it means we'll have turned the corner enough, especially given the state of the NFC, to get to the conference championship. He's been in big games before and performed when it counted--don't forget there was a 0 in his "L" column his senior year in the fourth system he played in in college. So if we get past December I think he's got at least as much poise and confidence to field marshal this bunch if they'll keep up with him!

Unlike most here, I'd be fine with either Brunell or TC. TC knows this system like the back of his hand and he can keep us competitive a couple of games with Clindell (love that, whoever came up with it) and our O-line pounding it out. Sure, Brunell has a heckuva lot more starting experience but when you go to a lefty mid-game, it changes the whole dynamic. It's not like switching pitchers. It affects the line, the formations, even the spin on passed balls and conceivably the mechanics of handing off. I was at the final game and was just sick and angry to hear the home crowd boo a guy who played his guts out for us, but I think if we can get value in a trade for him we do that and possibly offer him a spot in the position coaching lineup (or help him get a job elsewhere) when he retires in a couple of years. I'm comfortable leaning on TC this year and I think Bramlet will be a class-A backup after a solid year working on the system, and he'll be ready to take the #2 spot next year. Don't think he'll be ready to do too much this year after spending the off-season in Europe.

Posted by: J in SoCar | July 25, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Someone was explaining the irony of the Airport being named Regan National Airport yesterday. Aparently he is the president who holds the record for the cutting the most airport jobs durring his career, not sure how, must have not bailed out the airlines.

Posted by: 35332 | July 25, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

35332

When Ronald Reagan was president, the federal air traffic controllers' union went on strike. The president fired all of the striking members, as I recall. It was a big deal then.

Posted by: Mark (in21132) | July 25, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

How about the TRENCHES??? can we get an update when camp starts, especially with regard to Wade and the entire DL, who are going into camp as the starters?

Posted by: SeanTay77 | July 25, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The irony is the air traffic controllers were on walking the picket line during his first term and he fired them

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for getting Cooley locked up for the long haul but what about Sean Taylor?

Posted by: Hmmm... | July 25, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

LH, yeah you may be right about brunell but what gibbs volunteered last year out of the blue was interesting. i don't know i trust gibbs(spurrier and norv for that matter) when it comes to QBs. rember how we were grilling norv for not benching brad johnson and then spurrier for not putting ramsey in the game. and then last year for not putting in JC. joe knew there's no way he could win with the kid and he was giving his team the best chance to win and that was 20% brunell.

the vick thing. i can only see them proving one thing beyond a reasonable dobut and that is that he was at the fights with pictures...and maybe just maybe that he knew about his property being used as whatever...but then you have to ask should we go after LT and CP for attending fights to?

unless they have videos, pictures...all this is circumstantial. maybe they have a paper trail...but we'll see. even in the indictment he was never accused of shooting, electrecuting the dogs or anything...it just seems like a big fish in a small net case.

then again i'm not a lawyer. my law experience comes from defending myself, pretend suing in a business law class in college, matlock and OJ case.

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't the HS in Rock n Roll High School 1 and 2, which starred the Ramones and Corey's respectively, named Ronald Reagan HS?

Hail!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 25, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Dealer, they have his name on a cancelled check in the amount of $34,000, which PURCHASED the house where some of the fights occurred. There were no buildings on this piece of property other than the house, he had the 5, or 6 buildings that were behind the house BUILT, specifically for hosting dog-fights.

This isn't Mike Nifong trying to get re-elected.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | July 25, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Crickets - Aaron Brooks tried out for both the Redskins and he Steelers. He can try out for more than one team.

Bangkokben - We played against Churchill when Dhani Jones was playing for them. The area they represent thinks they're 'upscale' so I assumed that's why they chose that name. Dhani didn't appear as quirky back then. He was also on the wrestling team and was ranked in the state at his weight (I believe in the 190s)....

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Slow day.

Ummm... how about Jla, you guage St Joe's spirits. Year four of a supposed 5. Does he look refreshed, tired?

Posted by: Zebra | July 25, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dealer. They better have have videos, pictures.

Greg(Boston) just because he brought the house doesn't mean he took part. It's just amaze me how everyone assume that he is guilty without knowing a damn thing.

Posted by: jm220 | July 25, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

35332,

The "irony" gets worst than Reagan firing Air Traffic Controllers (the Federal gov't has a union too.) That airport was infamous as one of the very worst to land at. It doesn't support the very largest aircraft but pretty much everything else. Built originally as Calvin-Coolidge field it was right across from a Naval Air Station (now Naval Research Labs). As aircraft became more powerful, heavier and runways longer the federal gov't (then in charge of Washington DC) decided that it was just too dangerous. It is very close to some very large buildings including the Washington monument. Air strips very close to dense population centers.

SO, DOT contracted to build "Dulles" Airport. (Another irony, the bigoted, anti-everything screw up WASP Dulles brothers.) Built in the "remote" countryside it would be safe, efficient and able to support more aircraft and the very largest. Of course today that area IS NOW POPULATED. But there is still plenty of distance and buffers all along the airport ... they aren't with DC National.

DC National was SUPPOSED to be closed. Its oldterminal IS A National Historic Landmark on the National Historic Buildings registry. It was suppose to become the National Air AND Space Museum. The entire airport.

You can thank your local congress critters for not letting that happen. They love convenient rides and special parking AT THEIR AIRPORT. Who cares who it endangers.

Now the National Air And Space Museum is a million miles away from the mall at Dulles Airport.

Thank you congress critters for thinking about your own convenience first. Its way past time to get different sorts of folks in office. They ought to have a limitation on the number of corporate and criminal lawyers who are allowed to be in congress.

Posted by: periculum | July 25, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

We note in passing that the Naval Air station was closed for safety reasons. Whereas congress critters Natonal airport was not.

Posted by: periculum | July 25, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Dealer - Even worse. They got prople like Vick (People who fight and kill their dogs most likely in the same manner as suggested about Vick in the indictment) taddle telling on him.

And guess what? They don't have to worry about doing time. If Vick choose to taddle on someone else so he could get a reduced sentence like the others taddling on him, they prob would refuse as he is considered the big fish....

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I think its somewhat naive to think that, he had 6 buildings built on his property, they found dog fighting equipment in these buildings, they found blood in the buildings, and dog carcasses on the property, that he was not involved in some way shape or form in this.

If that qualifies as knowing a 'damn thing' I'm not sure.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | July 25, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"another thought; the Skins could conceivably make the playoffs, but that is about the most to hope for in Soup's first year as a starter."

"i, for one, would be shocked to see the FO let Brunell go, knowing Gibbs' propensity toward veterans at that position."

Schroeder: NFC Championship. Rypien etc. As first year starters they went pretty deep into the playoffs? Didn't they? They weren't 1st rounders.

So, they can go pretty far. It all depends on injuries.

As for Brunell. The fact that rumor appeared makes it sound to me like Brunell wants to start. And thinks he could in Atlanta. His agent might be feeling that out. Gibbs like Brunell not all veterans. But if Brunell wants to go Gibbs will let him.

Posted by: periculum | July 25, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember how last year (and the year before that but not on this blog), the Gov and I told you all about the 'done-ness' of Brunnell? Then he completed 22 short passes in a row against the worst defense in organized sport and everyone yelled at us?

I do. I never forgot that. It stuck with me like a vivid memory. I don't know why I think of it now. I hold no ill will...well not towards you guys anyway.

I read John Clayton's NFC preview today. Here's my assesment:

the iggles will be nasty
the cowboys will be nasty
the giants will be untight but they will still beat us at the meadowlands because we haven't scored an offensive TD up there in 3 years.

I have no idea what to expect from us this year. Maybe that's today's NFL, but I don't like it. I liked growing up knowing that we were going to be competitive no matter what. Not every squadron was going to be 14-2, but you were going to get hit. Now? I have no idea and it bugs me.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | July 25, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

dealer & jm220, circumstantial evidence is just as admissable (and good) as direct evidence. Most crimes aren't captured by video or photo. Most criminal prosecutions are proven by eyewitness testimony and circumstantial evidence.

He can't hide behind not living on the property. He was co-owner of Bad News Kennels, which sponsored the fights. I will give him this. He couldn't have hired a better guy to defend him. If this can be resolved without jail time and a promise from the County DA not to prosecute Commonwealth charges, I see Vick taking a plea. I just cannot imagine that he would want to test these facts in front of a jury. Nothing stirs passions like hurting children and animals.

Posted by: LH | July 25, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

LH I am not saying it isn't admissable. If it was me, without video, pictures, or checks showing I bet on dog fights. I would take my chance. Remember no one has been cross examine.

Greg(Boston) and anyone else that thinks they know what he did and didn't do need to get off their high horse. You don't know if he did or didn't. Just like I don't know. So get your head out of your azz (SJK) and just admit you don't know.

Posted by: jm220 | July 25, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Flying into National along the Potomac is one of the sublime DC experiences.

And no one I know calls it Reagan Airport. That's for tourists. It's National, no matter what the signs say.

Donald Regan was Treasury Secretary and chief of staff.

Ronald Reagan was the guy who talked to monkeys and embraced the Laffer curve.

Americans love them some Winston Churchill, but Canadians dig him even more:

In The Simpsons episode Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington, the Springfield Republican party has renamed all Millard Filmore schools as Ronald Reagan schools, the Mississippi River is now the Mississippi Reagan, and Frankenstein is now Frankenreagan.

Posted by: mugamack | July 25, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

JM, I'm not on any type of high-horse, I just happen to have a different opinion than you. And, by the way, the opinion that I have is based squarely on "FACTUAL" things.

He DID have these 5-6 buildings built on this property.
The investigators DID find dog-fighting equipment on his property, more specificallly in the buildings he had built.
The investigators DID find dog-carcass's on his property.

If in ANY of my emails, I've come out and said he's either guilty or innocent, please point it out to me. Also, please point out where I was on my high horse? And point out where my head is up my behind? I'm just not that flexible.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | July 25, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

dealer, what do you mean by CP attending the dogfights? I've never heard CP attended any fights. And who is LT?

Posted by: Lisa | July 25, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

OTher Notable attendees of Churchill HS:

Gibran Hamdan, NFL / NFL Europa QB. Attended Churchill freshman year

Lisa - LT is LaDanion (sp?) Tomlinson. Must we revoke you're sports card? just kidding.

Greg(Boston) & JM220 - I am pulling out my daughter's toy hammer and am gonna WONK you guys with it.

Remember - this is the NFL. F Vick and his foolishness. lets not get in arguments because everyone is entrenched in their own corner.......

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

4th only if I can get the corner after with Lisa. (did I just say that out loud) LMGO! Only teasing Lisa.

Posted by: jm220 | July 25, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

jm220, keep in mind that as a defendant you know for certain whether you committed the offense or not. So are you saying you would take your chance with a jury in the face of plea offer where you could avoid jail time if you knew you were guilty? Or are you saying you would take your chance if you knew you were innocent? There is a big difference.

Posted by: LH | July 25, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

of course cirmustantial is admissable. but here're the circumstances:

1. one person gets pinched
2. offer a deal
3. he tells

and if vick's lawyer is any good he'd eat that for lunch everyday.

yes, he bought the house. and built the buildings but what does that prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT? like jm said nothing. if i'm the jury knowing what i know i CAN NOT convict him. maybe we'll see a youtube video. i don't know.

did i mention that he's not even being indicted on any of the really bad stuff?

and we know what happened in the duke case...no one is calling the federal prosecutors, even if their boss is as corrupt as a third world dictator, incompetent. all we're saying is what do you know more than us that you'd put him in jail BEYOND a reasonable doubt?

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

LH as stated before. I don't know if he is guilty or innocent. My best friend is a trainer and had a chance to buy a gym. (funny that it's in VA as well) I was going to invest in it with him. Now since I am in NJ there is no way for me to know what he could have been doing during on the side at the gym. Say he sold drugs out of the gym. Does that make me a drug dealer because I own part of the gym? In my book no. If the only thing Vick did was brought the house and let his people live there and run a business. Then hell yeah he should take it to trail. Now if he knows he was part of what was going on. Then he should go to jail.

Posted by: jm220 | July 25, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

yes, i can count to 3 now! woohoo!

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

4th- You got it right on. "F Vick and his foolishness". F Bonds too. F McGwire also. F the NBA ref. F Nifong. F the dope using tour de france riders (I know, I know, F me because it's bike racing. But let's see any of you drag your SJK up a mountain and then have to descend with your nuSJKs in your stomach at 60mph. Unless you're jm220, who will just threaten the mountain with the hammer, in which case it will move out of his way.)

Posted by: 4-12 | July 25, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Vick can just go all Gonzo on them. I don't remember if I was there or not. I don't remember if I'm guilty or innocent. Between him and Scooter I think the very notion of justice has been set back 50 years.

Posted by: SMACK | July 25, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I know THAT LT (Ladanian) - just did not get where dealer would come up with his name and dog fighting? But then again, I'm still waiting for dealer to explain his comments about CP as well.

The strange thing about Vick is that he told Jay Glazer just last week (or the week before) that he would not be indicted. Why would he be so sure of that if he was guilty?

Posted by: Lisa | July 25, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

All,

they don't need videos or pictures on vick. they have a charge of criminal conspiracey which means each of the defendents is responsible for the actions of the others...pfunk executes dog, they are all guilty.

My guess is any plea involves some time in jail. Vick is done... unbelieveable stupidity.

Posted by: Old School | July 25, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

lisa, you didn't get that CP has seen dog fights? if he hasn't seen them then how does he know that they are so prevalent where he comes from as he indicated. i'm not accusing him or anything i'm just explaining why i said what i said.

and LT (ladanian tomlinson) did say explicitly he attended dog fightS.

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Right now it's not about Vick. It's about who turned State's Evidence.

As we know now. It's 3 0r 4 people who were involved in Dog Fighting as well. Also, notice his cousin who lived in the house was not one of the people indicted......

As Dealer suggested. Its about Vick's attorney discrediting the witnesses. I suspect this will largely play out in public opinion as Vick's Lawyers will pull the same shananibus as the Duke LaCrosse Lawyeres did - Leak evidence to discredit the witnesses. I suspect most id not all have criminal records.

And if they used that one who is already in jail. Then Vick might have a good chance.

With all that said, don't expect Vick to play this year and never again with the Falcons.....

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

you know what gets me though. how in the world is DMX not indicted? is he THAT much smarter than vick? does the D in DMX stand for Defflon (Don and Tefflon) that the charges won't stick?

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Dealer is funny as SJK!! LMGO!

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

dealer, how do you think the heads of most criminal enterprises - big or small - get caught, tried and convicted. One of their minions gets busted and starts telling to save his own SJK. You can cross-ex him silly but at the end of the day you still have the other evidence (direct and circumstantial) that ties the defendant to the crime. Like I said before, good cititzens like yourself generally are not witnesses in cases like this. Criminals hang with and commit crimes with other criminals.
And he hasn't been indicted on any of the bad stuff because dog fighting alone isn't a federal offense. It was the interstate transporting of the dogs for dog fighting that broke fed law. The Commonwealth's Atty is hanging back with the state charges for all of the bad stuff until the fed's case is resolved.

Posted by: LH | July 25, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

4-12 - I was gonna mention the doping scandal taking place now, but I didn't know how many people cared about the Tour. I use to love keeping up with the tour in my teenage years when Greg Lamont use to win all the time.

Can you believe these people get blood transfusions and the event people actually test for consistentcy in the blood cells? I was like WTF (SJK) ?!?!?!

Now, that is cheating. Barry Bonds and McGuire have nothing compared to these cyclist.......

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

didn't the commonwealth just say they're not going to indict vick or did they say what you said they said? this was last week.

lh, from watching sopranos they ususally wear a wire. no one ever takes their(snitchers) word on it. in any of the shows ever seen. they HAVE to wear that wire. and in this case no one wore the wire.

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

4th, i agree. those people are nuts! sickos! BLOOD TRANSFUSION?????!!! are you kidding!

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

dealer, you're kidding right?

Posted by: LH | July 25, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

yeah 4th that is out there. People will do anything these days.

Posted by: jm220 | July 25, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I certainly did not pick up on Clinton attending any dog fights. After all, I'm from the dirty south and there are lots of things that go on down there that I hear about but have never done.

Posted by: Lisa | July 25, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Dealer - This is the real World. Wires are not neccessary. Have you seen the new generation of spying equippment.

Wires are no longer taped to your chest or on your belt. There are no more 'wires', only small devices if needed.....

Maybe we should take a trip to the Spy Museum....

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah 4th- Watching Lemond as a teenager was great. Especially after he came back from his hunting "accident" with something like 30 pellets still in his body, and won the thing anyway.

But the blood transfusions and other crazy SJK these cyclists do is beyond me. And then the excuses...this Vinokourov guy says it's because of his crash last week and something must have gotten in his wounds. Or Tyler Hamilton, who's still banned. Won't bore everyone more, but his excuse was a "vanishing twin" from birth. Crazy!

Posted by: 4-12 | July 25, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, there is nothing going on currently. Everything that happened is past tense. So 'wires' ar irrelevant in this case......

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The reason the cousin is not indicted is b/c he is the one singing. He gave up Vick so he could avoid jail time. Any court case which brings publicity is good for the judicial system, in their eyes.

So they want to fry the bigger fish. Either way, there is fault on Vick. His millions are at stake, and he either knowingly, or unknowingly let this go on. I am not naive to think that Vick does just give a house to a cousin he knows nothing about. I have to beleive at one point in time that cousin may have talked, or bragged about dog fighting. Maybe he never said he was doing so on Vicks property, but if I were Vick I would make sure my name was as far away from that as possible.

But as someone stated earlier, the feds want Vick for transporting. They can't convict that unless they have good evidence to support it. We shall see what that evidence is.

Posted by: Zebra | July 25, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I believe LT (RB not LB) said as a kid he has been to one, and that he said it was a bad experience and was an infortunate aspect of where he grew up, so lets be careful of lumping him in.....

The reality is that animal fighting for sport/betting has a long tradition in poor communities going back to rural europe. IM unhumble O one difference here is that people withy money and the power to uplift communities instead used great wealth to continue ignorance and further legitamize blood sport and criminality......

Posted by: chris larry | July 25, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

On a side note, Did we ever decide whether or not we were switching fantasy leagues to a live draft?

Posted by: Zebra | July 25, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Report: Briggs nears agreement, could be in camp on time

ESPN.com news services

That stance may be a thing of the past.

The Bears also have reportedly offered to rescind the franchise tag on Briggs for 2008 if he agrees to end the contract stalemate."

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | July 25, 2007 12:06 PM

DMX pleaded guilty to animal-cruelty charges in 2002, after officials found 14 pit bulls starving and living in squalor at him house.

Posted by: mugamack | July 25, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I think Dealer was just throwing some lets have Feds go on a Wild Goose Chase after CP and LT to see if they fight dogs too.... That's all. Don't think he was insinuating that CP and LT actually do fight dogs... (I think... I hope!)

Anyhow, who knows why Vick would say something like that to Jay Glazer... Maybe he's just flat out lying... I personally don't trust the guy with all the stuff that he's had happen the past year+++ ... But I guess we will all find out in due time... or at least have more info to form an opinion. It sure don't look good though.

Posted by: E in VB | July 25, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind that... there was quite a delay on getting that post submitted... I'm a bit late to the game here.

Posted by: E in VB | July 25, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Broncos may trade DE Lang?
Because of a Broncos logjam at defensive end, a veteran such as Kenard Lang could be available in trade talks should another team have a need. With the emergence of young players, Lang likely would be expendable for the right price. -- Denver Post

"

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Mug - Are you a fan of DMX or are you a member of PETA? You know a lot about the guy...

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

DMX is straight crazy........

I would LUVVVV Kenard "The Bomb" Lang back in the fold...always loved that dude...

Posted by: chris larry | July 25, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Is this a lead into us getting bent over again by the long gond horses out there in the Rockies... Man - I hope Vinny doesn't come up with another one of his good ideas... Let's keep our 2008 draft picks please!

Posted by: E in VB | July 25, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

periculum (what DOES that mean?), the Air & Space Museum is still on the Mall ... and still the most visited of the Smithsonian Museums. Its the ANNEX (the Udvar-Hazy center) that is out near Dulles. They ran out of room for more aircraft displays on the Mall. Also, interestingly, Dulles is the #3 landing strip for the Space Shuttle (after the ones in California and Texas). The long runway is reallly long.

On other blog chatter, if DCSWEEN was Brunell (and if pigs could fly), I'd want to be traded to the Falcons in a heartbeat. How psyched is Joey Harrington that a starting job has fallen back into his lap? I remember the look on Brunell's face when he got pulled in favor of Jason. His face just said "[SJK]!, I'm never going to be able to start in the NFL again like I've been doing for the past forever years!" Frankly, if I were the Buccaneers, I'd be calling to seek a trade for Plummer (or maybe even Chris Simms). Falcons have a fairly decent range of former starters who might fit for them.

Finally, AMMTS! Dude, how have you become such a "John from Herndon" in so short a time? Hard adjustment on the return from Canada (e.g., to crowds who just don't get grain harvest jokes)? The Skins are currently undefeated. We need some chin upping from ye. Hang with us!

Posted by: dcsween | July 25, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | July 25, 2007 12:51 PM

I went to Oktoberfest in Munich back in 2000. Everyone spends the entire day singing songs and chanting chants. My brother and I introduced two songs to the Germans: HTTR and DMX's Party Up (Up In Here).

So I am a fan of DMX's talent, and not a fan of DMX as a man. My hunch is when everything is said and done with Vick, I'll feel the same way about him.

Posted by: mugamack | July 25, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Periculum

1. Danger; risk.

2. In a narrower, judicial sense: Accident or casus, as distinguished from dolus and culpa, and hence relieving one from the duty of performing an obligation.

#2 really clears it up!

Posted by: SMACK | July 25, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

oh and beep beep

Posted by: SMACK | July 25, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

New Post

Posted by: Zebra | July 25, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to drink the Kool-aid early, we just have to wait and see. Injuries play a huge part in any team's success. I think the defense will rebound due to depth. JC is too big and too strong to be completely sorry. My gut tells me that the Skins' will be better than most think. JC will be the key. He's going to make mistakes, it depends on when and how he makes them.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 25, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

one thing I'm wondering. can the skins "burn" available cap space to get a player signed long term. namely, are there rules for how salaries are allowed to change? Can we pay cooley a lot in year 1, instead of a signing bonus, and then have lower values the rest of the contract? (namely how contracts generally work, "low" salaries in general and a huge signing bonus).

Posted by: sp | July 25, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

FYI. Winston Churchill's mother was American, and he always had an affinity with the country and its people, even writing a book about it "The Americans".

Posted by: Redcoat | July 25, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Thank you SMACK for being a loquacious dictionary!

According to Jim Rome of Rome is Burning this NEWS has not been slow in fact he refers to this as the cruel summer where one unbelievable story seems to follow the other.

A summer in which the news that star reliever greg olsen gets a DUI and is tazered is HO-UM. News led by Clinton Portis' main man Michael Vick, followed by more allegations about Barry Bonds, leading to everyone wishing to MOVEON.org, after he breaks the record. Along with the a top of the litter NBA ref shaving points in games for the MOB.

Slow news Jason? Perhaps is good news? At least the headlines do not lead off with yet another bone-headed stunt by our fearless owner Danny "Bugsy" Snyder. Things have been quiet on the Redskins. The good kind of quiet. The kind where Gibbs rips a new "SJK" for any sportscaster who dared to mention predictions from Playboy magazine.

Posted by: periculum is BURNING ... | July 25, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

So, Michael Vick was a periculum waiting to happen?

Oh, and the shuttle lands in either California or Florida. On occasion, it breaks up over Texas.

Also -- federal employees may not strike. Firing mandatory if they do.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2007 1:26 AM | Report abuse

"Watching Lemond as a teenager was great. Especially after he came back from his hunting "accident" with something like 30 pellets still in his body, and won the thing anyway." Posted by: 4-12 | July 25, 2007 12:24 PM

Lemond went hunting with Cheney? Why wasn't this bigger news?
Americans worthy of having a foreign high school named after them? How about Martin Luther King Jr?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 26, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Lemond went hunting with Cheney? Why wasn't this bigger news?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | July 26, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse