Rogers May Play; Rocky's Road; Trash-Talkfest

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache hinted strongly that corner Carlos Rogers could take some snaps Saturday in New York.

Blache noted how well the youngster has been responding to his recovery from major knee surgery, and casually added that the schlubs should keep a close eye on him, because "we might see him sooner than you think."

Knowing Blache a little, I'm going to take this to mean Rogers could be getting reps Saturday, barring a setback. I'll catch up with Carlos after the second practice today and see what he has to say. Rogers told me before that he was shooting to be back for the Jets or Carolina game.

Blache also said that LB Rocky McIntosh, who is coming off major knee surgery as well, could take snaps right now if the games counted, and could even get through an entire game if need be. McIntosh is still barely participating in team drills, but Blache said they are taking every precaution there and he is confident McIntosh will be ready to assume a large role for the start of the season.

Landry Sits

Safety LaRon Landry had an MRI on his hamstring, which revealed a lingering strain, so he did nothing much today and is all but certain to sit out Saturday. Jim Zorn said Landry is progressing, but this thing has been ongoing for like three weeks now with Landry yet to be able to practice fully. Zorn says he will be fine for the start of the season. Veteran Vernon Fox got Landry's reps with the first team at practice.

Practice Chatter

The morning session was about as spirited as they come. Marcus Washington and Fred Smoot were taunting the offense throughout the practice ("This ain't no bad practice for you, we just good," Smoot said to the offense at one point. After one good stop by the D, Washington bellowed out, "We don't negotiate with terrorists," mocking the offense in a playful manner). There was intensity throughout - especially on some inside running plays - and the session was unusual in that the first-team offense went against the first-team defense for some plays.

It actually got a little more aggressive than Zorn would like, in that starting QB Jason Campbell got bounced into a few times and ended up on the ground once. There is strictly no contact with the QBs at all, and once Washington put a little two-hand touch on Campbell. "I don't want him touched, and [Washington] knows that," Zorn said after practice. Another time, new DE Jason Taylor came flying off the edge and tangled with JC. They quickly shook hands and it was nothing major, but, again, you want to take no chances with your QB.

"When he beats our offensive player so badly, it's hard to stop," Zorn said of Taylor.

Zorn attributed some of the exuberance of the practice to the fact that camp is nearing its end. This was something like the 36th practice of camp, Zorn said, but the end is hear. The players move out of their dorms Thursday afternoon and camp officially ends at 4:30 or so Thursday. Next week the Redskins will return to normal practices - once a day - essentially getting into the regular-season routine.

Overall, the nickel defense looked really good, with end Demetric Evans tucked inside at tackle. Rogers got tangled up with WR Maurice Mann at one point, falling hard to the ground, but bounced right up. It's to the point where the coaches no longer hold their breath when Rogers goes down, Blache said. They can tell he is getting close.

Zorn had to call a few timeouts in succession at the end of the session, with his second unit struggling. Kareem Moore looked good at free safety and brought the defense to life with a pick.

Punt Returning

I also asked Zorn who is going to return punts in the regular season, and obviously you don't expose guys like Antwaan Randle El and Santana Moss to that duty in preseason, where a guy can get maimed. I thought Randle El had a very poor year returning punts in 2007, but Zorn said that ARE and Moss will handle the bulk of the duties going into the season, with James Thrash in the mix as well. Second-year corner Byron Westbrook is getting work there, too, as is Maurice Mann, but those guys may be hard-pressed to crack the roster, much less be active on game day.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 12, 2008; 11:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs, Landry Not in Pads for Practice
Next: Time to ask "Who's on the Bubble?"

Comments

Oh, Balderdash!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

yay!

Posted by: yay | August 12, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

LaLaCa VaCa in Cuernavaca?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

JaLaCa VaCa in Cuernavaca?

That's better!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfan | August 12, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

It's fun having a new thread to oneself, more or less. No "beep beep" means more fun for me!

Posted by: Roadrunner | August 12, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Not even close there, Loser.

Posted by: Roadrunner | August 12, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

But, the Redskins have a history of giving up too quickly on FG kickers. This one's not a bust.

Posted by: Mull It | August 12, 2008 11:35 AM

Agreed, Mull It. I had lengthy arguement about this a few days ago; Suisham makes over 80% of his kicks. His only problem is WHEN he misses. His miss in the playoffs killed our momentum in that game. He missed a gimme in the preseason. If he was 36, he'd be gone. But since he's 26, he's still got some room to grow and get steadier. Having said that, I think it would have been wise to bring in some camp competition to keep him from getting complacent.

As for the love for Mix, I don't particularly understand that either. It's kind of cool here to fall in love with a guy at the end of the roster to root for to make the team, I guess. There was nice "spirited" debate about Mason here yesterday and I still don't get why he's a better option than the 3 quality guys we've had here all along. Since it's almost certain this team won't keep 6 WRs and 4 RBs, it'll be interesting to see whose release generates more outrage here, Mason or Mix.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I just don't know what to say after the first three comments that are just bursting with brilliance. Thanks for the coverage Ja. It really breaks up the work day being able to stay informed.

Posted by: Kevin | August 12, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It's fun watching the "first!" goofballs grasp for straws!

(No worse than 47th, maybe!)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: Roadrunner | August 12, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Joined in progress:

Note the logo on this fine, new, upscale addition to the Northern VA golf scene: Laurel Hills

We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Aside from LL's hamstring, thats a whole bunch of good news, regarding Rocky, and Rogers, and Moore.

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to believe that Fairfax County kicked out Lorton/D.C. Dept. of Corrections, trading jailbirds for, um, real birds. It doesn't seem like either operation would add much to the tax base.

It's also hard to believe they can charge those way-too-expensive greens fees, particularly since any bad lie might be the result of hastlly-buried victims of the past.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Mason won't make the final cut, but Mix will.

He's a great special teams player, and the two young bucks - Thomas and Kelly - haven't shown they know how to do anything in the NFL yet, except get injured.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 11:53 AM

Feely made 91.3% of them last year, it didn't help him!

I'm with you guys. You need to persevere with Suisham for a while yet. the Fins only dumped Feely because they found a good young undrafted kicker, and therefore saved some more money to put into our "Rainy Day Albert Haynesworth" fund. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I do love that Laurel Hills logo, however. Too bad they couldn't have included a little razor wire in the foreground.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Skins' longest punt return last season was by Thrash, who's still got big-time special teams game. Is that right, anyone?

Posted by: RambleOn | August 12, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | August 12, 2008; 11:44 AM ET

Who was beat so badly? Jansen? Samuels? That would be nice to know because it gives more info on how JT is doing.

thanks.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 12, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I still feel sick.

Posted by: Horton's Colon | August 12, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes on Thrash with the long punt return in 2007. That was the play where Sean Taylor made the great wipe-out block on a pursuer.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

As for the love for Mix, I don't particularly understand that either.
Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 11:54 AM

My thought,as I expressed yesterday, is that between Mix, McMillan and Mason, I like Mix because he has done so well on teams. He did it last year at the end of the season after we picked him up, so he has done it against first-teamers, not rookies. That is why we will keep him, assuming his rib injury is not too serious. Mason has done well running the ball, but I haven't seen him blocking on passing plays, and I haven't seen him excel on Teams.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

*****he's a better option than the 3 quality guys we've had here all along.******

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 11:53 AM

I would not call someone quality when during free agency only 1 of 32 teams were willing to sign him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Jason Taylor beat Jansen or one of the backups. Samuels doesn't give up many freebies to defensive linemen.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Mason won't make the final cut, but Mix will.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:09 PM

I hope I'm misunderstanding this: you're keeping Mix over the two guys we just spent two 2nd round picks on? Unless Kelly ends up on IR, there is ZERO chance that happens. Mason has a better chance of making the final cut than Mix does; Thrash is a great special teamer and is actually contributing to the offense as well. So Thrash, ARE, Moss, and the two rookie WRs are your 5 WRs. The only way Mix stays is if Mason goes and only 3 RBs are on the roster. Even then his chances are slim.

And where's the notion that Mix is a great special teamer come from? The play he made in the playoffs when NOBODY from Seattle wanted to field the kickoff? I'll need a little more than that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

thanks.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 12, 2008 12:14 PM

Probably against a second-stringer. But you are right, it would be nice to know.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 12:15 PM

But at least I have a hot wife!

Posted by: Chief McMillan | August 12, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Nah, I'm not suggesting Thomas or Kelly get cut.

I'm just pointing out that they've done nothing yet, and may/may not be playing when the season starts due to their injuries/conditioning.

Therefore, I see the Skins keeping 6 WRs, Moss, ARE, Thrash, Mix, Thomas and Kelly.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:17 PM

Nice, more Rock hate...and I guess he's less desirable than Mason who nobody wanted to draft. I'll take Rock as my 3rd RB seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

By the way, if the Seattle playoff game is your only remembrance of Mix on specials teams, then you must not watch every game, or you are sh*t-faced when you do.

Mix was laying licks on people through the last 5 games of the season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

McMillan and Wife, eh? Does that mean that Tuesday is Cheesy Old Sitcoms Day on RI?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

TheCindy rulz
Brandi Chastain drulz!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 12:15 PM

Poland! They forgot Poland!!

Posted by: Dubya | August 12, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:25 PM

No, actually it's the "Murder Mysetry Movie" day.

Posted by: Colombo | August 12, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The fact that I like Mason does not mean that I am hating on Rock. As a RB I just don't think he is that good. Against the same 3rd and 4th stringers Mason has looked better than Rock IMO. As a ST, Rock is better.

That is the way I see it. Does not = hating.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 12, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL.. Why would Mason have ANY chance of making this team?

Rock Cartwright can barely get any playing time during the regular season (fortunately for him he gets to return kicks), so I can't see any reason for hanging on to a 4th RB who has done nothing in the regular season against 1st teamers.

Portis, Betts, Cartwright.

3 RBs.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

...you must not watch every game, or you are sh*t-faced when you do.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:25 PM

I had to get sh*t-faced to watch the Skins after the Gibbs Two Timeout Gaffe. Didn't you?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 12:30 PM
_________________________________________

They made the playoffs when nay-saying maggots like you were sitting around whining about how they wouldn't.

Therefore, I was able to maintain my sobriety.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2008 12:19 PM

I don't know how to access last year's records, so I can't quote stats. But my recollection is that Mix played in a number of regular games at the end of last season, and was involved in several/numerous tackles. He is big (6 5, 243) and agile.

I agree, Thrash makes the team, both as #3 wideout, and especially on Teams.

It is my argument that Teams will decide the 52 and 53 spots on the team, and that is what gets Mix on the team.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat,

Do not get over excited about a young kicker who made a couple of preseason kicks. Lets see what he does when the pressure is on. Parcells has a problem with kickers which is why he never had a good one in Dallas. He always goes with young unproven kickers, since not much is expected out of Miami this year it should not hurt the team to bad. But much to my pleasure it hurt him in Dallas.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 12, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You all are wrong.... McMullen gets the 6th WR spot since our Rook WR's will be so far behind, Zorn will want 4 who can play well in game 1...

Posted by: Zebra | August 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The point is that Thomas and Kelly are not on Teams; therefore, the #6 WR (or #4 RB) really has to step up and play both ways. Mix can tackle. McMullen and Mason not so much, at least not that I've seen.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

ARE got a little better in terms of running forward on punts last year but not much. I want to tear my hair out when he starts going backwards and sideways. That particular strategy doesn't seem terribly successful so why keep going for it?

BTW Chastain is naturally a brunette. But we think if her as blonde thanks to her controversial deliberate wardrobe malfunction in '99 WC.

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

gettin testy up in here (up in here!)

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 12, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 12:37 PM

Thank you, cload, for stating succinctly what I have been trying to expresss for 2 days unsuccessfully. That is the point why Mix makes the team. The 2 rookies will also make the team.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn had to call a few timeouts in succession..."

Someone is going to tell him that's a penalty, right? There was this ugly incident last season...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

One man's "controversial deliberate wardrobe malfunction" is another man's "enthusiastic celebratory gesture".

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

It is only a penalty when freezing a kicker.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 12, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 12:37 PM

Nicely put. My desire to see Mason succeed does not blind me to what is best for the Redskins. And STs is a big part of the game. Point conceded.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 12, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 12:39 PM

You are absolutely correct, sf. When you catch a punt, your head and eyes are up on the ball. It is a fear factor that makes you step to the side first. You do not know what big stud is about to crush you at the end of a 40-yard sprint. It requires a lot of discipline to take 2 or 3 steps forward first, then look to side-step whoever is there. Those guys are big and strong, and it can really hurt when you are standing still and they run into you. But to be successful, that is what you want to do.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

kmdp, I know, I know, was just lamely trying to make a joke... something about our collective suffering as fans...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

When people speak of how many RBs to keep, i am assuming that Mike Sellars is one of the keepers? No one seems to be talking about him...

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Sellers stays, but as a FB (potaytos/potaatos).

Posted by: donj1963 | August 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

No, Sellars isn't a RB.

Portis - Betts - Rock are your RB roster.

Sellars is a different category -- Manimal!

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Thats bc he is a FullBack

Posted by: Zebra | August 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

And we only keep him, we let go of Nemo for Mason... nemo is always there if we need him

Posted by: Zebra | August 12, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Fullback, Running back, tailback, scat back.... aren't they all RBs?

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:51 PM

Oops. That was me.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Technically FBs are RBs....butt I digress....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Sellars stays as long as he wants to. No one is willing to go ask him for his playbook.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sellars is a different category -- Manimal!

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 1:01 PM

Cload, you are hot today! Right on, AGAIN.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I know it is early but I am starting to worry about dirty thirty.

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mason, Thrash, and Mix will all be kept. If there is one odd-man out, though, it will be Mix.

Special teamers are great to have, and Mix is a great Sp teamer, but it's not exactly something we're short on with this team. K Campbell, Rock Cartwright, Vernon Fox, James Thrash, Mike Sellers, and Marcus Washington are all "aces," and other backups are almost certain to see duty there too (Horton, Kareem Moore, HB Blades, Sinclair/Wallace, Leigh Torrence, and of course the always reliable Lorenzo Alexander, plus others I can't think of right now).

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

aww, not this STUFF again!

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Sellers shouldn't be going anywhere - unless it's a sick trade.

I would think the league doesn't regard Redskin RB's that highly for trade value, or we would have heard about it.

I think they're under valued.

Posted by: Dik | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

IMHO - CP is decidedly NOT undervalued!

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 12, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I know it is early but I am starting to worry about dirty thirty.

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM

He will be fine. The key is to be patient right now.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

You might be right, particularly if Mix is going to get/stay hurt so much, but tell me how a #4 RB gets on the field. Much less gets to touch the rock.
Sellars will have more opportunities to carry the ball than Mason.
Agree on Thrash; I don't think that's in question at this point. I think the decision goes down to Mix, McMullen, and Mason -- and you can choose one.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 12:44 PM

Totally agreed.
I've thought since all these stupid incidents that if someone wants to defeat the US in a war all they have to do is line a bunch of women up on the 'battlefield' and have them lift their shirts/take them off and just say the word 'breast' over and over. Apparently it will cause our soldiers and their loved ones at home to be so distracted that their eyes will be bleed. Meanwhile the rest of us will be watching idioit talking heads on CNN dissecting it 1000 ways to Sunday trying to figure out if it is an FCC violation and should the enemy be fined.
Then it's just a matter of planting your flag of victory.

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

LL and RMac are being handled with kid gloves right now because they are way to important for the regular season to be re-injured (irinjured?) in PS.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 12, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Why do so many people think we will keep 6 receivers? IMO Marcus Mason has earned a roster spot which means we are keeping 4 RBs. Add to it the lack of depth we have at linebacker, we would be far better off as a team keeping 7 linebackers and 5WRs than 6 linebackers and 6WRs. generally, youd rather have linebackers playing special teams anyways.

I know the WCO uses alot of WRs but dont forget we have Cooley and Davis and we are going to want to get them on the field as much as possible. If one of our WRs got hurt, we could get by in a game by using formations that got Cooely and Davis on the field at the same time. I'd rather see Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time than see Mix or McMullen step onto the field with our offense in a regular season game. Its simply a matter of getting the most talented players on the field. We have so much depth at WR already. We simply don't need 6 WRs.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

This is kinda easy. Three short lyrical excerpts from three former hit songs. All with the same word in the title.

Question: What current world event do the excerpts refer to, and what three songs are they from.

1. He got mad and he saw Red

2. He said he's going back to find
What's left of his world

3. No peace I find

Posted by: Gladys MacInray | August 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Who thinks Nemo stays? We carried one FB last year, with Lorenzo and Yoder pulling spot duty. So why keep Nemo?

So really you keep a 4th RB so he doesnt get snatched up off the practice squad or Waiver wires.

Posted by: Zebra | August 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Anon - agreed it takes cojones of steel to sit back there and receive a punt and I certainly wouldn't do it for shtis and giggles.
But I presume the ST coaches work on this and if ARE is too jumpy when hearing the thundering herd should someone else be given a shot? Don't know.

I presume you want your punt returner to have an explosive 'first step' as it were so that is why Rock doesn't do them much?

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Really, Wyatt? Have you heard anyone offering anything for him?

I think he's worth what he makes - but the rest of the league doesn't seem to agree. At least, not that I've heard.

The press knocks him. Players knock him. WE knock him.

give him a good line and I'll bet he puts up CRAZY numbers.

Posted by: Dik | August 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

good point TSH, and I would put them out there as the #3 or 4 anytime, but we did draft 3 recievers while we had 3 if not 4 already entrenched, so they did it for some reason.

Posted by: Zebra | August 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

+++ I'd rather see Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time than see Mix or McMullen step onto the field with our offense in a regular season game. Its simply a matter of getting the most talented players on the field.+++--TSN

Trouble with that is McMullen has been a better player on the field this preseason. And while you may assume Davis will play better in regular season, there's three games left to try to determine quality. As it usually takes a receiver a couple of years of experience to come into his own, I'd say McMullan may well turn out to be the better receiver THIS YEAR.

I think Mr. Zorn is more than capable of deciding who plays and who doens't--but it's fun to speculate.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Zeb, I can't see Nemo making the big club. Maybe the P-squad, but no way he makes the team.

I'm really excited about Rogers and Rocky, congrats to them for making the committment necessary to come back much sooner than expected.

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

If we find someone besides Rock that can run back kicks, then Rock, like Mix does not necessarily make it due to STs play. With some young guys we picked up this year, especially at safety, he could be replaced, which means that Mason can be kept at #3 RB and we can keep 6 WRs.

The bigger question is does he have more upside as a RB than Rock to keep him off of the practice squad and available to be picked up by other teams.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | August 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

not a chance in the fiery hell flames of hades we keep Nemo....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 12, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Dik - no one has any intention of offering anything for an overvalued player.

Further, Timmy Smith put up insane numbers running behind an all-pro line. He cost us nothing. What happened when he went to Dallas and played behind a lousy o-line?

Give 90% of all NFL RBs a great o-line and they will make him look like the second coming of Walter Payton!

CPs YPC are on a downward trend. That is NOT good!

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 12, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Luckily, middle easterners cannot take advantage of that strategy -- with a horde of nekkid women trying to stay ten feet behind the Republican Guards, they'd be halfway to Tehran before we'd catch a Janet Jackson-style glimpse.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

$#^%&* 53-man roster.

When do the cuts have to be made?

Seems like there is still time in this loooong pre-season, season for injuries to make some of these roster questions moot.

I'm hoping no one gets hurt and we are faced this dilemma when we the league says we have to.

Posted by: stumped | August 12, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Ooops sorry wrong board. Should have known none of you Redskin fans had a lick of culture. Stupid husband of mine had logged in to you instead of my Oldies But Goodies Q&A board.

He should know you ninnies don't know music.

Posted by: Gladys MacInray | August 12, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

not to be debbie downer, or anything, but seeing how Jansen played the other night has me concerned to put it lightly. To my untrained eyes, he seemed like he was slow, and got pushed around. Now I realize that he's not been playing since last year, but I was surprised to see him back on his heels as much as he was.

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 1:17 PM

Yes, an explosive first step is valuable. But first of all, you need to have good hands to catch the rock, and strong hands to hold onto it. Then, and only then, do you look for the first step or two to be upfield.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Mason making the team over Mix. I also can't see McMullen making the team over Mix.

They should keep 3 RBs and 6 WRs since Moss, ARE, Thrash, Mix, Thomas and Kelly have all been hurt in the last year. They'll most likely need the depth to rotate the broken bodies.

I give Mix the spot over McMullen because BM always looks good in camp and then can't catch in games that count (see his time w Philly).

Mix gets the spot over Mason because Rock already fills the role Mason does.

Lastly, I have a friend who's a Jints fan and he was pi$$ed when we signed Mix from their practice squad. That's the clincher for me.

Posted by: [cc] | August 12, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 1:21 PM

-------------------------------------------

Curzon, I agree with you that if we can find someone else to return punts, rock may need to go. I would rather see Mason get carries on offense than ever see cartwright fumble the ball for us at a crucial point in a game again. Portis-Betts-Mason is a much stronger backfield than Portis-Betts-Cartwright IMO. However, i'd rather keep an extra defensive player than 6WRs...

As has been mentioned, we drafted 3 receivers this year. We did this knowing that Cooley, Moss, ARE, Thrash, and Yoder were going to make the final 53. Between TEs and WRs, we already have eight guys at receiving positions. There are never going to be more than 5 of them on the field at a time and most of the time, only 4 of them will be. Which means 4 of them will be sitting on the bench, ready and willing to come in a game and help us win. To be honest, it really doesnt matter to me which 4 of 8 of these guys were on the field. They are all THAT good. Keeping Mix or McMullen is simply superflous. Its unnecessary.

We have some serious concerns with depth on our defense. Add to that the fact that defensive players are more interchangeable and rotate far more often during games than offensive players, and its better go keep 3RBs, 5WRs and have an additional defensive player or two on the roster.... assuming the players in question can all play special teams.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 12, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat,

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 12, 2008 12:34 PM

Agree totally. Feely is a good kicker but his kickoffs compounded the poverty-stricken nature of Miami's special teams play. I think that had as much to do wit hthis as anything, but....

I am excited that we felt we could free some more cap space up. We were around $15M under before this, so what could Parcells want more room for......?

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 1:34 PM

That is certainly a concern. Jansen is a horse, and the best RT we have, but I'm certainly holding my breath there.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Is it Georgia, Gladys?

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Jlac any news on how Erasmus James has looked now that he is back at full practice level with pads. Has he got any work?

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 12, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

TSH, can you back up this point:

"Portis-Betts-Mason is a much stronger backfield than Portis-Betts-Cartwright"

What are you basing that on?? Mason has NEVER had a carry, nor a catch in a regular season game, he's never returned a kickoff in a regular season game. How is he better than a guy who has done that, and continues to do that?

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

BTW - You can't discount Rock's leadership. Something needs to be said for that too.

However, I forgot about Cooley/Davis in all of this. Talkshowhost brings up a great point about adding Cooley and Davis to the list of WRs in 5 wide sets or in injury cases. That fills any void unless the hammies become an epidemic (if they aren't already).

I can now see Mix getting cut along with Mason and McMullen. Looks like a it's a bad time to have a last name that begins with "M".

Posted by: [cc] | August 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

time for bubble talk. beep beep.

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I know that Devin Thomas was a return man in college. Was that kick-offs, or punts. I presume when he gets healthy, he will see some action there.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Greg, Mason looks much better in preseason than Rock. He's bigger and looks stronger and simply LOOKS like a running back. Cartwright is small and has fumbilitis. We know we don't want him ever carrying the ball on offense which is why we traded for tj duckett when portis was hurt a couple years ago. Mason has an upside. With cartwright, we know what we have and on offense it stinks.

I'm not discrediting him as a core redskin or a special teamer... but he simply isnt someone i want to see on offense.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 12, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Wyatt - I think you just proved my point. The market thinks he's worth less than his price. I don't agree. I think he's worth it and then some, mebbe.

Now, if YOU think CP's over valued, hey - that's your call. But alot of us still think CP has it.

Our line was (still is?) undersized compared to what we had w/ Timmy (Love me some timmy, btw!) if you put CP behind a great line, he'll have #'s too.

Posted by: Dik | August 12, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree with talkshowhost, when the ball has been in the hands of Mason, he looks as if he knows what he is doing and where he wants to go. Kickoffs, different story...Rock I dont believe is a true RB - Mason is. It would be nice if we could keep both, at this stage, Rock makes sense for special teams and Kickoffs, but if it was strictly as a running back, I would much prefer Mason.

I would like to know how Erasmus James is looking...if he comes back to what he was, we could be in for a treat with Taylor, Carter and nice rotation of DE/DTs.

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 12, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Jansen looked slow and was pushed back on his heels when healthy in 2006 so it shouldn't be a surprise this preseason. It's his 10th season and he's had two serious season-ending injuries in the last 3 years. The problem is that neither Wade or Heyer is an upgrade. Let's hope that Jansen has one more decent season in him. We should draft a tackle high in the draft next year given the age of both Jansen and Samuels.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 12, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse