Carlos Rogers Having a Pro Bowl Season

I haven't made a big enough deal of this, so I'm going to now. Carlos Rogers is playing some stellar football right now. In fact, he has been all season long and is looking every bit like the guy who merited being taken ninth overall. While the other corners in his draft class (Pacman, Antrel Rolle) have flopped, Rogers is living up to his potential.

Doing so after suffering a season-ending knee injury last season, and returning so far ahead of schedule points to his work ethic and growing maturity. He is staying later at the facility, studying more film, welcoming more feedback from veterans.

I'd be very surprised if he isn't shadowing Braylon Edwards on Sunday. He and Shawn Springs are playing at an elite level, and have been cornerstones in everything this team has accomplished. They are a huge part of the reason the Skins have overcome a lack of a pass rush to shut down some top passing attacks. Coverage has been the key, without a doubt.

With there appearing to be no major impetus to starting negotiations on a new CBA, Rogers and Jason Campbell would be looking at restricted free agency, and not unrestricted free agency, when their deals are up at the end of the 2009 season, but, again, I'd expect to see the Redskins looking trying to extend these guys by the winter at the latest.

...

Randoms: The Cowboys showed a fair degree of desperation in the price they paid for Roy Williams. That's a ton, especially given that they already have players who can catch the ball. The fatal flaw in that team is in its secondary - especially with Terrence Newman injured - and I guess they're bracing to have to score 40 a game to win. I have a bad feeling about this team and haven't liked the way they have played the past three weeks. ... Nor do I have a great feeling about Jose Theodore facing the Penguins tonight. That dude scares me in net. ... Glad to see Bob Bradley finally go to more kids last night, even if it was a meaningless qualifier, with the U.S. already through to the final round.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 16, 2008; 8:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers Presents Big Obstacle for Skins
Next: Dawn of Shaun, in Ashburn

Comments

1st

Posted by: Aaronh81 | October 16, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Good to see someone knows how to say they are wrong. I have more respect for Sally this morning. Maybe a certain person should step up and admit they have been wron.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 16, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Now I'm scared.....Sally Jenkins praising the Redskins and admitting that she was wrong are signs one and two of the apocalypse. It's a good thing that the cubs are not in the world series. For those of you in the district, please keep an eye on the Potomac and let us know if it starts to run red. Any more signs, like say the cardinals making the playoffs this year, and I may have to sell my house and head for a remote island......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 16, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm really happy to hear this it was essential for us to get some good steady CB play with Springs battling injuries. When Springs does play he's great, although I often wonder how many years Springs has left playing at a level like this ? Cheers to Rogers though.

Posted by: dspinx | October 16, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I just re-read the article, screw Sally. No where did I read her say that the piece she wrote, "Zorn Inherits a Mess" was premature, and poorly researched. So she's still garbage....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 16, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Rogers will soon be getting this acclaim on a national basis. So many people were down on this kid when he was put in situations beyond his years, Im glad everything is working out for him and its due to the amount of work and focus he has put into his game in recent years, not just relying on his ability but learning the position, great draft choice.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me, whats been holding Rogers back from being a good corner, was his extra effort. Studying film, taking advice from vets like Springs, Smoot, the coaches. Does anyone remember all the negativity surrounding his play his first 3 years? I saw he was coming around last year, but then he tore his knee up somethin terrible. This makes his turnaround even more incredible. Now, its only 6 games in, there are plenty of talented WR's he has yet to face this season( b edwards, c johnson, h ward/s holmes, TO/R williams, plaxico, TJ Hooshmanzilly/85), so don't go and assume he's a pro bolwer like most assumed the Skins would trounce the Rams. But dang, he's off to a good start. He shut down TO and Tory Holt.

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | October 16, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Greg, on the last thread you said someone like Betts could get a bunch of checkdown passes against a corner-blitz-happy team like the Brownies. Since we don't have Betts this week, who's the guy most like Betts who might be looking for those catches? Is it Shaun Alexander? Wondering who the "hands guy" is on this week's RB depth chart...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Great points Stu27. We need to give Kelly that same amount of time and let him grown.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 16, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

For the record I've always been a Carlos fan, from his rookie year to this preseason.

Bow to me, minions!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

From what I could read of Sally's article, she believes Zorn did inherit a mess, but did something extraordinary with it. When you have Danny and Mr. Raquetball as your two head men, how do you not inherit some sort of mess. Granted, they've been getting smarter lately, but still. The way they handled everything in the offseason was nuts, creating a ton of emotional turmoil within the organization. The FO was saved by the skin of their teeth by Cinci's stupidity. But either way, with the combo of Zorn and the FO that is saved from itself, the 'Skins have become a good team. That is what I believe her opinion is. I sorta agree, except I give more praise to the FO with the way they've been handling player acquisitions lately.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 16, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 16, 2008 9:13 AM |

Greg,

You didn't read it carefully. What she said was "After their dreadful opener against the Giants, a mortifying occasion for Zorn, I wrote them off prematurely, and was wrong."

As for "screwing" her, no thanks. I wouldn't even want to do that with your weiner.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Rogers came out playing from day one we just put him in difficult spots with constant injuries and player rotations in the secondary. Kelley can run a wind sprint without goin down, but yea give him some more time.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I know, I know, any given Sunday, parity, etc., but as a fan I refuse to fear a team coached by Romeo Crennel.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Can Zorn and the 'Skins bounce back from an embarrasing loss to beat a Cleveland team that opened an economy-size can of Whoop-a$@ on the Jints? Short week for the Brownies, on the road, and facing an opponent who took a team too lightly last week. 'Skins smell blood in the water with Dallas' troubles and the Jints sudden vulnerability. Prediction:

Cleveland 17
Washington 31

Posted by: Schroeder12 | October 16, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Nate, thats a great question, maybe its Portis, maybe its Alexander, although I'd think given his lack of time with this offense he'd be somewhat out of the question. Maybe Rock surprises us all and has a bunch of catches. I would not be surprised if Cools was the hot route guy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 16, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Must suck inheriting a playoff team with probowlers at almost every postition, agg what a mess.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

tt, no one belives that you, an UGA fan, propped up an AUB player. No self-respecting UGA fan would do that. Myself, personally, as a Tide fan, I am happy they have acquired Alexander. With 3 Tide alums and 3 AUB alums now on the Skins, an equilibrium has been achieved....

Posted by: Good2bOK | October 16, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I disagree Stu. He wasn't put in a situation way beyond his years. Corner is one of the easiest positions to transition to from college to the NFL.

He didn't put in the extra work is what some people have alluded to and I've seen quotes of his and his teammates to back them up.

So maybe in a way you are right. But it was a question of maturity to put in the study time.

Posted by: Gweez | October 16, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Carlos can't catch, or he'd be a LOCK for the Pro Bowl...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 16, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

beepity beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

You made my point Sargant MOFO. If he holds on to just a couple of those possible INT's, he gets national recognition.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | October 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 9:18 AM |

I'll be the first to admit that I was down on Rogers. I never full out bashed him but I questioned him plenty. Bites on the double move, can't catch, and doesn't get his head around for the ball. While I still think he can't catch he really has improved in every area and seems to be turning into the player i hoped he would be (and initially thought he would be) when he was first drafted.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 16, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Bow to me, minions!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 9:25 AM

I guess when you can write your own record after the fact you can say anything and be right. You know, hindsight and all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 16, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez

I disagree wholeheartedly. From what I've seen, it takes corners a few seasons before they even look like they know what they're doing, with a few exceptions of course.

Posted by: Stainless | October 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Carlos is having a heck of a year. I'm so happy he came back from that injury and hasn't missed a beat. He's definitely picking up where he left off last year. GO LOS!

-Bradley, Webmaster (www.skinsfans.net)

Posted by: wwwskinsfansnet | October 16, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Sargent MOFO beat me to the punch, but Rogers has to start hanging on to some of those easy INT balls before he's a Pro Bowl corner. He's definitely having a strong season and has likely surpassed Springs as our top corner, but I've seen him drop 3 surefire INT's already this year (Philly, Dallas, and New York come to mind). He's definitely playing like the guy we drafted with the 9th pick in 2005, but we need to see him pick off passes like he did in the Arizona game that turn the momentum. Kudos to him for shutting down Holt against the Rams.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 16, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Being a good corner doesn't always mean interceptions. Yes, it would make him a better corner, but that's not always a surefire statement that he isn't a pro bowl caliber corner. He's being targetted less each week, and out of all the times he's been targetted, he's been completed on 10 percent of the time, for an average of 6 yards. THATS PROBOWL, RIGHT THERE.

-Bradley, Webmaster
(www.skinsfans.net)

Posted by: wwwskinsfansnet | October 16, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Dude!

A bad feeling about the Cowboys?

A bad feeling about the Cowboys' mistakes is actually a good feeling. Whose side are you on?

Posted by: lordtwang | October 16, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, in order to jump on our bandwagon, she needs to first get off the Eli bandwagon. Not buying it.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 16, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse