Rogers, Possibly on the Way Out

Alot of people around here would not be surprised if the Redskins give big bucks to corner DeAngelo Hall, and part with corner Carlos Rogers this offseason, as I've been writing lately. Rogers is among those people.

Rogers said he has wondered whether he has played his last game in Washington. Like many top picks in his 2005 draft class, Rogers faces losing unrestricted free agency after the 2009 season, becoming a restricted free agent instead, and would like to sign a long-term contract somewhere, whether here or elsewhere. He's definitely not cool with being the third corner - which is how he was used down the stretch - and wants to start.

Asked if he thinks Sunday's game may have been his last with the Redskins, Rogers said: "You think about that, of course. It's coming up on my last season [of his contract]. I've always said I'm not a backup. I'm not a backup to nobody. I'm a starter in this league and I think everybody knows that because there are a lot of teams that would give their right arm to have me on their team. That's my mindset, whether it's here or any place else."

Hall's skills have made him attractive to a Redskins team lacking big plays and turnovers and recent years, and Rogers has a propensity for dropping interceptions. Although he locked the league's top receivers in coverage much of the season, he isn't the kind of corners opposing quarterbacks fear to throw at because of his lack of interceptions.

It doesn't seem likely the Redskins will rush to give Rogers an extension, and with the team looking to add more draft picks, Rogers seems like a prime candidate to dangle in trade. Rogers said no one on the staff has given him a definitive reason for why he fell from the first to third corner in the final weeks of the season, though he will have an exit interview and speak with corners coach Jerry Gray today (the two have a strong relationship, though teams sources said Rogers is not nearly as close to defensive coordinator Greg Blache).

"With everything that's happened around here, I wonder, too," Rogers said about his reduced role. "I still haven't had an answer to the questions I want to know. But it's over now, so I put that behind me."

Rogers said the demotion was on his mind all the time. "You can't just let situations go like that ... That don't sit well with me. I ain't that type of players. That's something that I can't accept."

Stay tuned, folks. If the Redskins don't start shopping him first, I would not be surprised if Rogers approached them about the possibility at some point, like, about 10 minutes after Halll gets a big contract, should that occur (early signs are pointing that way).

The Redskins have to decide if they want to retain Shawn Springs, despite his $6 million salary (Springs is the only slot corner they have and, when healthy, is a key cog to this defense; he also reiterated that he is open and willing to playing more free safety next season, too). Smoot had a rough season and the team may opt to go in a different direction there, with fourth-round pick Justin Tryon possibly getting more playing time. (If he is anything more than the fourth corner next season I just can't see that going well.)

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 29, 2008; 11:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Change in Postseason Postmortem
Next: Washington, Perhaps Moving On

Comments

Well psp, I respect your posts. BUt I can't get down with the idea that "mediocre teams win ten games ALL THE TIME"?? I guess we have a different definition of mediocrity but if you are 4 games over .500 in this league, in any division with ANY schedule, you are better than average. Might not be a really good team, but you are not mediocre.

I hear you on not betting against the SKins. You will be happy next year that you didn't.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 29, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 29, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Well that will be a dumb freaking move. Talk about a best case zero sum trade.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I hate this team

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | December 29, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

First?

I think the Skins could get at least a 3rd rounder for Los and I would take that in a hearbeat.

Posted by: FloresFan | December 29, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"He's definitely not cool with being the third corner"

He should be try catching more INT's, and he wouldn't have to worry.

Bottom line, play better, make more game changing plays, and this is not an issue.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Here are the stats continue your argument.

Thanks for that, although that's not really what I was arguing. I was arguing that Betts is a fine #2 back in this league, not whether or not he is/was better than Turner.

That said, I think it's interesting that for someone who has such a Rep for fumbling, his worst year he had 4 total, and lost only two of them.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"I'm a starter in this league and I think everybody knows that because there are a lot of teams that would give their right arm to have me on their team."

Maybe that's what he needs...a third arm to hold on to the damn ball.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm afraid we would regret letting rogers go unless we get a 2nd and a 4th round pick for him.

Does this situation remind anyone else of Champ Bailey?

Posted by: NFeKPo | December 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Dealer - do you really think the problem is Zorn? I think we need to give him more than one year to prove/disprove that he is or is not a good coach. The team seemed to respond to him at the beginning of the season and I think that the Cinncinnati game made him realize that he had to take some of the heat and not stick to the same formula. I really like him and hope that he does well, but I am also a glass half full person (who was concerned that we'd have a playoff game in DC the weekend of the Inaugeration and I wouldn't be able to get there!)

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

thoughts on what Skins could get in return for Rogers...?

Posted by: forever21 | December 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Keep Springs and trade Rogers?

um, why?

We'd get a 3rd for Rogers and then what? We wouldn't get a corner as good as him, and we'd be giving up a young talent... and without Springs and Rogers we turn a strength into a weekness.

KEEP HALL AND ROGERS!!!! SIGN THEM BOTH!!!!

Springs and Smoot can go if they want. Trade Smoot if it has to be anyone.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

flound, I'm moving on from that lunacy...my favorite line, "I'm not much of a stats guy"....obviously, because if you looked at the stats you'd see that your stance is wrong....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 29, 2008 11:48 AM

I'm gonna call RI 'My Wife 2.0'...

I said I'm not much of a pulling the stats guy. I don't go somewhere else and pull stats. Flound did me the favor and now you look at them and tell me I am wrong. I am very much a stats guy, though.....

---------------------------

AND JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED THE STATS I WILL REPOST FLOUND's POST:Turner as a backup

YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2004 SDG 14 20 104 5.2 30 0 4 0 0
2005 SDG 16 57 335 5.9 83 3 11 0 0
2006 SDG 13 80 502 6.3 73 2 24 0 0
2007 SDG 16 71 316 4.5 74 1 10 1 1

Betts as a backup

YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2002 WAS 11 65 307 4.7 27 1 13 1 1
2003 WAS 9 77 255 3.3 13 2 15 0 0
2004 WAS 16 90 371 4.1 27 1 19 0 0
2005 WAS 12 89 338 3.8 22 1 17 2 2
2006 WAS 16 245 1154 4.7 26 4 59 4 2
2007 WAS 16 93 335 3.6 20 1 16 1 1
2008 WAS 13 61 206 3.4 14 1 15 1 1

Here are the stats continue your argument.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 29, 2008 11:45 AM

Now what were you guys saying?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 29, 2008 11:55 AM

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 29, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

NOT LMG,

You dont know what Pollyanna means?

"The Pollyanna principle or Pollyannaism describes the tendency for people to agree with positive statements describing them. It is sometimes called positivity bias."

Posted by: chrislarry | December 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It would be stupid to let Rogers go for Hall. I recall two Hall INT's...one Romo threw TO him behind the WR...and the other one...was legit.

Let's not forget him being spun around by DeSean Jackson...then beaten badly again. Regardless of if he got bailed out by drops. Those are two longs TD's with anyone who can catch. IN the same quarter if I'm not mistaken, certainly in the same half.

How many times was Rogers completely smoked like that?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again with another backward azz move, Hall gives way too much cushion and is a poor tackler(Deion Sanders) we are going to give Hall huge dollars and shun Rogers after he worked his way back from a what could have been a career ending injury can anyone say Ryan Clark!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The man does not get many turn overs his one against SF was caught with his legs which are apparently better than his hands. But
1. the guy hits harder than many CB's
2. He has solid cover skills and teams don't throw at him much. I am sick of seeing Smoot 4-5 yards off of his WR every play waiting for them to catch the ball you dont see that with Los anymore.

You want to dump some guys get what you can for Springs and Smoot, buy why toss a WR who is hitting his best years just now?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

BYE BYE BUTTERFINGERS!!! Hopefully they can get a 2nd round pick for him!

Posted by: frmi | December 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

anything less than a first, third this year and a 2nd next year will be a bad move. but when was the last time vinny actually made a trade like that? he'll probly do this:

chad johnson for rogers and a 3rd.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 29, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Mark my words. If we trade or cut Rogers, he will end up in a nother teams uniform pulling the brandon lloyd on us and basically showing we should have had more faith in him. very sad.

Posted by: Veretax | December 29, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 29, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

This would be a stupid move. Have they not learn from the last two season that they can't count on Springs? Very stupid move if they let him go.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

This Rogers thing is a moot point since the way the CBA is going, CR22 wil be the property of the Skins for 3 more seasons.

No way we trade him for less than a 1st rounder.........

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"I've always said I'm not a backup. I'm not a backup to nobody."

Dude is in denial- hate to break it to you Carlos- but you can't catch and the double move gets you every time.

Posted by: richard_cranium | December 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This would be one of the biggest mistakes this FO could make. It would be nearly unforgivable.

As far as "big plays" go:

Laron Landry - 2 INTs
Shawn Springs - 1 INT
Fred Smoot - 1 INT
Carlos Rogers - 2 INTs

Only an FO this stupid would contemplate ridding themselves of Carlos Rogers.

Posted by: psps23 | December 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Now what were you guys saying?

You've moved the goalposts.

Your original assertion was that Betts was not a solid #2 Back. You even listed your priorities for a #2 back to be "provide as good or slightly less production than the #1."

When countered with the facts that Betts does fill this role you describe, your retort was "He's not as good as Michael Turner!" (We call this moving the Goalposts)

No one with a brain thinks that Betts is better or even as good as Michael turner. But that doesn't really matter. The question is: is Betts a good #2?

The facts say "Yes," you say "No."

So, I'm sorry, but *you* were saying....?

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Sign them boff

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 29, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, stats are not the end all and be all because they don't always tell the story. Film tells the story. The Michael Turners of the world had film that supported their belief and the belief of GMs that they had the potential to put up numbers as a starter. When FA beckoned, Turner answered the call, got paid, got numbers. When FA called Betts (in the immediate wake of him "showcasing" his starter skills no less), rather than get his "pockets straight" he chose to take short money to be CP's back up. Where were you when Betts needed your advice and advocacy? Hopefully, Betts is reading this and you can do his next deal.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 29, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Truth said it earlier. We have a really good defensive backfield. Try to sign them all. They can only do so much, when you do not put any pressure on the QB.

Draft Terrance Cody and put Montgomery in the weight room in the off season and you would have a beefy athletic interior line. Rotate Golston and Alexander in.

Sign Suggs, keep Evans at DE and rotate Wilson, Jackson at the other. You would have a young line that could grow together.

It would take 3-4 bodies to contain Cody and Montgomery. Put Springs at FS and bring Landry to blitz.

Posted by: oldtimer4 | December 29, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok Guess please remember that JLA is only speculating, spitting idea out of his head. Contrary to popular belief, the FO hates this guy. so we dont know what they are going to do in all honesty

Posted by: signicolls_03 | December 29, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't they need to keep Rogers? I mean, Springs is getting close to retirement and is often injured? So, if Springs goes, and Rogers goers, then they will be short at corner.

Then they will probably spend draft picks on a corner of about Rogers caliber or less.

Right?

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 29, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

every problem pertaining to the skins can be narrowed to the o-lines. when opposing QBs are given so much time to throw, receivers are gonna get open eventually. the play where Derrick Mason burned Rogers, even Rogers said that his job is to jump on that double move and take away the quick pass, because the D-line has to get to the QB quickly on that blitz. if the line does its job, corners have to cover the WR for much less time.

Posted by: kman2 | December 29, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

On a team that was happy to win by as little points as possible, and were afraid to change anything -- I saw few who sought to improve.
Carlos Rogers improved. He upped his game 10,000 percent.

Keep him.

Posted by: Veritasamus | December 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The person who should be shown the door is Fred ("let me have a hennessey and coke") Smoot, not LOS he is solid i love some of the post on this blog these were same people calling for Adam Archuletta to replace Ryan Clark yeah how'd that work out for us.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 29, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Good redskins strategy- dump the good players.

Posted by: Therub | December 29, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Carlos,

Maybe if you didn't have two left arms, you'd have your extension. Why don't you learn to catch, and talk, this offseason.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 29, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Good rumor JLC. Still turning up complete BS...

Did Rodgers really refuse to play in a game and actually sent Smoot in as a replacement? Carlos actually played well in the last game as a #3 CB. The D-line, OLBs, Smoot, and particularly Moore did not...

The Skins starting CBs next year will be Rodgers and Hall. Springs will be back as a S/CB, but he needs to stay healthy. Moore and Smoot should be cut. Sign a free agent CB who can play special teams. Select a CB with the 5th or 6th round draft pick to complete against Tryon, and Westbrook for the 4th CB.

Posted by: siris | December 29, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"Rogers said he played only nine snaps against Cincinnati a few weeks back, with him deferring to fourth corner Fred Smoot on many snaps. "I said Smoot, 'You can take some of these reps.'""

so roger was upset about being third on the depth chart that came, so told the corner below him to go in for some snaps for him?

nice attitude.

for the past two seasons, we have been rotating the top 3 corners on the depth chart. it's nothing new. but i'm not sure how pouting, instead of going into close game that we didn't win, should make him upset about us maybe signing a different corner first. this was the first year he even played decent for us, and he still has not lived up to his slot in the draft.

Posted by: segastyle | December 29, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It would have to be at least a first round pick this year. Otherwise keep him.

Posted by: fpickering | December 29, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Veretax | December 29, 2008 12:00 PM

Brandon Lloyd as a player or '08 & '09 dead cap?

Posted by: freestyln | December 29, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Its always tough to be under the cloud
of uncertainty. Rogers is a good corner,
but if he wants to be top tier corner,
play like one! All those potential interceptions, might have affected
the outcome of most games.

Posted by: madalao | December 29, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Rogers is a joke. Key on him sometime and watch. He gets beat often, and couldn't catch a cold if someone handed him one. I wouldn't pay him $40,000 a year....

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 30, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Rogers was going to have an exit interview with Jerry Gray, but Gray did a double move and Rogers couldn't find him.

Rogers was then leaving the building and almost ran into a tree, but the tree did a double move and disappeared right in front of Rogers' eyes. When he looked again he saw the tree 10 yards behind him.

Rogers is a good corner. Not great, but good. He'll never be a shutdown corner. He'll never be a game changer. Ideally, he's a second corner, the guy opposite a shutdown CB. He's Walt Harris without the INT's.

Unless the get a first for Rogers, you keep him. Rogers and Hall will be the CBs next season - they don't NEED to do anything with Rogers, the Redskins hold all the cards. Smoot will be gone unless he wants to play for veteran minimum. Springs, I like his game but if you can't stay on the field then it's hard to justify keeping him except a greatly reduced number.

Posted by: kingrob76 | December 30, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

If you get a pass rush, you will be surprised at how good your corner backs start getting. But the Snyder-Cerrato bonehead partnership does not believe in getting quality at D-line or O-line.

Posted by: hz9604 | December 30, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse