Posted at 2:20 PM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Carlos Rogers on playing Sunday: 'I don't know right now.'

By Jason Reid

Apparently, cold weather is not good for rehabbing sore hamstrings.

"Nah, man, not good at all," cornerback Carlos Rogers said Wednesday before practice at Redskins Park. "But I'm trying."

Slowed by his hamstring problems the past few weeks, Rogers hopes to return to the lineup Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Fed Ex Field, "but I don't know right now," he said. "They're getting better, but this weather don't help.

"I'm doing some running, doing the little things I can do, but it's just got to heal. You just have to keep working at it and see what happens. You want to play, but I don't know what's gonna happen [this week]. I'm just not sure yet."

In the offseason, Rogers was among many restricted free agents, under the terms of an uncapped season, who would have been unrestricted otherwise. He expressed frustration about receiving a one-year tender offer of about $1.54 million instead of the lucrative multiyear extension he was hoping to receive.

In a moment of refreshing candor, Rogers acknowledged that, on some level, his contract situation could be a small factor in whether he would attempt to play through a significant injury, "but I'm not gonna be able to help the team if I'm hurt," he said. "If I can't run [because of his hamstrings], I can't cover nobody."

By Jason Reid  | December 8, 2010; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  Carlos Rogers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sean McVay replaces Jon Embree as tight ends coach
Next: Landry, Rogers walk through but do not practice

Comments

"In a moment of refreshing candor"

By Jason Reid | December 8, 2010; 2:20 PM ET

Too funny...

Posted by: PlayAction | December 8, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Rogers acknowledged that, on some level, he said. "If I can't run [because of his hamstrings], I can't cover nobody."

========
sorta sums up the whole season..

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Continuing to read thru the comments here and listening to 980 and 106.7 makes me want to stick a spork in my eye. So I did and I feel better.

p1funk-

The money that AH has already been given is gone. The Skins going after 800k of 36 mil is laughable...AH probably spends that in a week.

They could have cut him, but by deactivating him for the final 4 games they can now either trade him or cut him in the offseason. He's "played" his last game (thankfully) in the BnG.

Shanahan was 1 for 2 with his gambling on inherited players. He succeeded with Portis but CP's body gave out and he rolled the dice on a low risk (4th-6th RD pick at the deadline) but high reward (all pro DE/NT) with Haynesworth. This is on Haynesworth but is ultimately on Snyder and Vinny for ignoring all 92 red flags associated with this tub of goo.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

KS "Uhhh, Dad he is one of the best come-from-behind QB's in the history of the NFL...".

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 2:18 PM

Really? One of the best of all time? I don't think so. He's not bad but he is hardle one of the best of all time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Roger ain't gonna risk putting himself on film getting burned with sore hammies during his contract season.

He's already playing for next year.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 8, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 8, 2010 2:18 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 8, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Shanny switched to a Defense that AH doesn't fit into, HOW IS THIS GIVING HIM A CHANCE TO BE BETTER? It assured from day 1 that he wouldn't be better, IMO. Please explain. May I add everyone and their Grandma knew AH did not want to be in a 3-4.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse
----

Boy, you must be a lousy leader. What would you do with a staff of more than a few people? You can't please them all, so bending over backwards to give them what they want - when it is opposed to what you want - is ridiculous. MS and company have to do what they think is best, not cater to one a**clown whose version of working out is lifting beers at a bar in Reston.

You act as if Albert couldn't have been a good NT. I say baloney to that. He never tried, so he'll never know. Personally, I can't a imagine a worse sight for a C than AH standing directly over the top of him.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

You must suck too, if you think getting rid of your most talented people is step 1. Are you Josh mcDaniels by any chance?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

hahahahahahahahahahaha....well lets see Carlos...who is to blame for that one??? learn to catch the football, it hasn't been dipped in cyanide....

start barnes
Buchanon as the 3rd corner...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 8, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

shaun,
I think this article sums up the Hayney drama best:

Posted by: Alan4 | December 8, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

----

1. I don't trust anyone that would diss Pearl Jam.

2. I'm not of the belief that everything that happened was part of Management's effort to "hide" a bad team. Truth is everyone knew this team would be at best average this year, including management. After all, they saw the film from last year. Difference is, they aren't going to declare it publicly.

3. ...if you believe they knew they weren't a very strong team, then there isn't a need to blow up the AH thing..and who blew it up anyways? The Redskins?!? LOL, how about the media? I find it ironic that a media member is accusing the Redskins of fanning flames to cover up bad football, as if that would work anyways. They go on about this stuff, not anyone else.

4. With a motivated AH, this team would have been better, no doubt...but still not a playoff team. This is a cultural and personnel overhaul, whether it is said aloud or not.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Also, AH's game has been to get upfield and sack the quarterback. Do you mean to say he's spent his career eating space and defending the run? That's why Carter's numbers are so much better?

I am saying that. The dude was double teamed every snap I saw him play in our jersey. Taking up 2 Olineman is something AC never did. Thats one of their primary dif. AC straight edge rusher.

As far as coachability. You are correct and then some. AC works for others, AH works for himself.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 8, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

AH is 100% responsible for this mess. I don't see other players throwing fits and refusing to do what they're asked.

As for the signing bonus, forget it. They won't recover a dime, though that isn't their priority here.

Last thing: Redskins beat the Bucs as the team rallies behind the coach. Call it 17-10.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't see other coaches turning a top 10 D into a last place D, Shanny isn't even 1% responsible?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

shaunsherman12- Why would you engage in any sort of discussion with pabrain, Alan4, or Stu27.

It's the whole arguing with an idiot theory. They'll only wear you down and beat you with experience.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

At this point in the season start all of the young guys. F-it. There is nothing left to lose, so see what you got.

James Davis, Capers, Cooke, montgomery, Banks, Austin the whole bunch of 'em.

I think James Davis looked good against the Giants, but his carries were limited b/c we had to throw a billion times.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

----

God in heaven, what do you do for a living? I'll spell it out for you: talent doesn't mean d*ck if the player gives half-a** effort.

Pabrian, you keep clinging to the notion that the Redskins have had so many pieces in place, and that current management has destroyed them. PLEASE. I've hear this argument for years now from folks that just can't accept the fact that the Skins are outmatched from a personnel standpoint consistently; they all want to believe that a single element, be it the owner, a coach, or a manager is the thing holding the roster back from greatness.

This team lacks talent, and in this case the talented player you write about is a cancer. They will be better in the long term by kicking bums like this out of town, and setting greater expectations for players that will stay here along with future players they pick up or draft.

Sorry it isn't a quick fix, but this all has to start with some accountibility from the players. They've taken the money and run for years, and that junk is over now.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 11:55 AM

I love this...pabrian has it right. Every successful leader has catered his ENTIRE operation to ONE person. That's the way to do it. When coming up with a scheme, a coach should ALWAYS go to the player that works the least, expects the most, and has no interest in the team concept and build around that guy. It's what made Oakland great when they had Randy Moss and it's what won the Vikings a title with Brett Favre. Oh wait...

Seriously...how peabrain can get out of bed and muster the brainpower to turn on a computer and manipulate the keys on a keyboard to say this stuff is the 9th wonder of the world...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 8, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

There is a LOT of space between utilizing talent and catering to one player. But, you can't hear me from you HIGH HORSE. You must be a REAL GENIUS. Your right though look at the success of Josh mcDaniels he didn't bend to Cutler or Marshall.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

---

I see some of Alan's points, though I disagree. Pea just can't accept that our culture within the team has stunk for years, and players of the AH sort must be through here to move forward.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What exactly has AH gutted out that we know of? Does he understand what that means?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

There were 2 little hear-say injury reports from last year that I heard he toughed-out:

1. After practice one day he accidentally bit a jaw breaker thinking it was a gum ball. He had a severly sore jaw for about 4 days!

2. He got crabs in his eye brows from eating out a stripper. Those crab bites can be BRUTAL, poor Albert!

Posted by: monk811 | December 8, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:47 PM |

They beat you with inanity. They are the type of people that make ne wonder why people would ever think Skins fans are knowledgeable. Just blitherings bafoons.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:47 PM

I don't think Shaun finds it necessary to belittle or avoid people who disagree with him.

It's actually quite nice to exchange views with someone who defends and discusses their opinions instead or resorting to namecalling and ad hominum attacks on those they disagree with...

Posted by: Alan4 | December 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse
---

Another strawman. Geez, don't you guys stay on topic? I guess I wouldn't either if my thought process was so misguided.

If they are going to change schemes, this is the year to do it. They aren't good, so nothing is truly effected if they stink it up while adjusting, and the coaching staff can figure out who can adjust and who must go.

Again, you wouldn't agree with this because you have the "we are just a player away" mentality that has plagued this franchise for over 10 years.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Just curious. Not that it makes much difference, but does anyone know if Landry is practicing today?

(Figure the next 20 posts will be more tripe about the fat dood -- and little of relevance to Sunday's game.)

Posted by: Vic1 | December 8, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully we can trade back in the draft and get a center and a NT.

The 2 most important positions on both sides of the ball.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 2:48 PM

Hey sunshine- So my question is that after the 4 game suspension is up for Haynesworth, will they activate him for the playoffs.

I kid because I care..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 2:48 PM

I kid because I care..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I've accepted the fact that we will not be in the playoffs.

So I'd like to see a bunch of young, hungry guys go down swinging, instead of overpaid jerks laying down(literally laying down).

Put in all of the young guys.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what i did. All i did was point out that AH is our best Dlineman. And so far really no one has disagreed with me, just got all mad at me...

Posted by: Stu27 | December 8, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 8, 2010 2:53 PM

Nothing personal but your continually defense of the the indefensible is beyond laughable at this point.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

It is very simple to beat these Redskins; run the ball. The only reason the Giants didn't score 50 was because they ran Jacobs only 8 times and decided to let Eli throw it a few times.

Yeah, Albert needed to go but Rogers is wrong when on 3rd and short the Giants would run for four and five yards. They need someone occupying multiple blockers. The only way this run defense gets better is if Landry plays and then we're talking four yards a carry as opposed to five. The only game the 'skins have a chance against is the Cowboys and that's if Garret gets too cute to stick with the run.

And if you think this team is going in the right direction when it goes 1 and 8 or 2 and 9 in its last 9 games then I got a nice timeshare on the moon you may want to be a part of.

Moreover, who do you think will take to fall for this? The players who keep defending their coach will get pink slips at the end of the year from the same coach. They want to be back here because there is finally a culture of accountability. Unfortunately for them it will have to be a new batch of suckers with better talent to by in.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 8, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

continual not continually

My bad Stu27

I'm just sick of the 92 defenders..I'll give myself a timeout.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm just sick of the 92 defenders..I'll give myself a timeout.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse
Me too sunshine.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 8, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

----

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

1. Pick any game ever played in any sport, and prove that "talent doesn't mean d*ck"

2. Wrong, I'm clinging that the Skins had very FEW pieces in place, and now have even less.

3. Haynesworth is one of the few players who physically outmatched opponents.

4. are you predicting success? if so, when?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 8, 2010 3:02 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Rogers, like Landry, figures that, at this point, why risk getting hurt worse if the season is already done?

The difference btwn those guys and Haynesworth is that, in theory, Haynesworth doesn't get paid (yet).

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 8, 2010 3:02 PM |

Well, you're partially correct...he WAS our best linemen. I think it's safe to say he will never play another down as a linemen here. He's still an ass and needed to go. This will now be the last I speak on this current Haynesworth situation until there is new developments.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

You entered, does that make you an idiot?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and my comment about inanity was mainly about peabrain. My out the apologies about the colateral damage.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 8, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of the player blamers (haters), attitude reflects leadership

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

You entered, does that make you an idiot?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 3:15 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

It seems like the media don't even care we just got blown out,b>

True.

I think the real story to date is that the team seems to sliding backwards in terms of performance and execution on both sides of teh ball.

The AH Saga is just an oily pimple on a rather unattractive face when you see the 2010 Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 8, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Culture of accountability - Shanahan? Are you kidding? That dude traded up to draft Maurice Clarette and signed Dale Carter, Daryl Gardner, etc... as free agents. Shanny don't care about accountability - but his players besta be subservient.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 8, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Beeps--->

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Let's play a game Brian.

A gun is useless for shooting, if it has no bullets

A car is useless for driving, if it has no wheels.

A pen is useless for writing, if it has no ink.

Now, go back and read what Shaun said:

"talent doesn't mean d*ck if the player gives half-a** effort."

Now, do you understand?

Without the ifs, of course all of the above statements sound ridiculous.

Does this make sense?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 8, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"Rogers acknowledged that, on some level, he said. 'If I can't run [because of his hamstrings], I can't cover nobody.'"

--RI

And Rogers can't catch nuthin' on account of his handstrings.

Posted by: TheCork | December 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse