Posted at 2:43 PM ET, 12/30/2010

Carlos Rogers wins award from Redskins media

By Jason Reid

Regardless of the topic, cornerback Carlos Rogers candidly answered reporters' questions throughout the season. For his efforts helping reporters do their jobs, Rogers was presented Thursday with the Redskins Media Good Guy Award.

"Through the bad and the good, I'll sit down and talk," Rogers said in the locker room before practice. "A lot of people shy away from the media, but I have no problem with y'all."

If a salary cap had been in place during the offseason, Rogers would have been an unrestricted free agent. But under the terms of the uncapped 2010 season, Rogers was restricted and the Redskins retained his rights with an original-round tender offer of $1.542 million.

If the owners and the Players Association reach a new collective bargaining agreement, some form of free agency is expected to be included in the deal. It is unclear what will happen, but Rogers, a six-year veteran, hopes to finally be a free agent.

Rogers said he hopes the Redskins make him a multiyear contract offer, because he believes they are headed in the right direction under Coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

"You know with contracts, especially this year, not being able to get tendered again, it's a different story," said Rogers, whom the Redskins selected ninth overall in the 2005 draft. "Right now, I'm gonna focus on this last game. Hopefully, I'm gonna be able to play.

"But after that, it's about negotiations. It's gonna be in my agent's hands. It's gonna be in [General Manager Bruce Allen's] hands, Shanahan's hands, [Haslett's] hands to come up with something that we agree upon. Hopefully, I'll be back. But you know how negotiations go."

Slowed by a calf injury, Rogers sat out the second half of last week's overtime victory against the Jacksonville Jaguars. With his calf still sore, Rogers is unsure about his status for the season finale Sunday against the New York Giants at FedEx Field.

Rogers said he believes in Shanahan.

"His direction is kinda of a strong head coach like coach Joe Gibbs," Rogers said. "Since he's gone, we haven't had that around here."

By Jason Reid  | December 30, 2010; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  Carlos Rogers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lorenzo Alexander wins Walter Payton Award
Next: What happens to Albert Haynesworth when suspension ends?

Comments

As long as Yahoo! keeps paying my GF's paychecks, its gonna be their name ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 30, 2010 1:14 PM

So, it's not really the UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES that's brought to us by Yahoo!, but the GF? And the sponsor changes when the GF changes or the GF changes jobs?

Posted by: beep-beep

yup -- and if you notice, its not actually Yahoo! sponsoring anything, but Yahoo!'s finest -- and she definitely is that!!

fwiw, I'm not changing the GF. Can't say I overachieve often, but in this case ... definitely. Fortunately for me, she thinks she's done good too. Which makes me question her judgment, but that's another story ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 30, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Dude is obsessed with hands... Wonder why?

Posted by: Vic1 | December 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

zeke- Has your wife met your GF. I'd be interested in hearing her evaluation of you two.

O/U on bad Carlos jokes on this thread is set at 9.5.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

1 & counting

although that was pretty good Vic1

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"It's gonna be in my agent's hands. It's gonna be in [General Manager Bruce Allen's] hands, Shanahan's hands, [Haslett's] hands to come up with something that we agree upon."

So, in everyone else's hands but Carlos.

It's a wise man who knows his limits.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 30, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'll see you that non-tackle and raise it with another worst Skins non-tackle because it directly cost us a win.

Posted by: reader51 | December 30, 2010 2:30 PM |

I was steamed that D. Hall missed that tackle too, but that did not "directly cost us a win". The Skins were down 3 with 1:55 on the clock. It enabled Carolina to kill the clock w/o having to punt to us, but supposing the Redskins were going to tie or win is a stretch.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 30, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

D44--I was wondering after reading Mike Wise's overwrought column this morning what you and P1funk thought about replacing the Fridge with the Leach?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 30, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reader51 | December 30, 2010 2:30 PM |

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 30, 2010 3:27 PM
=====================
True.. but, being a homer.. I was convinced we could get back to a position to least tie the game with a kick.
I think DHall thought he (Delhomme) was going to lie down and quit.

Posted by: reader51 | December 30, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Fridge wins ACC coach of the YR and has gone to 7 bowl games in 10 YRs, prior to his arrival there was such a void in talent that they had players such as me.

They expanded the stadium and added luxury suites based on his early success. Tix sales are down and those suites are empty and because of that fridge is without a job.

He's ultimately a victim of his own success.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

fridge is without a job.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 30, 2010 3:52 PM |

He's a UMd alum, right?

What do you think about Leach, though? Wise seems to hate him, which makes me like him that much more.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Fridge is an alum that played OL (shocker).
I'd like to get Edsal from Connecticut but the new AD wants to sell those suites so the flashy hire would be Leach.

I like Leach's offense and that might keep Danny O'brien from transferring. He'd be a good hire as long as Craig James doesn't have anymore sons and Leach doesn't build a shed near Byrd Stadium.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 30, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure in the process of receiving the award, he bobbled it and ultimately dropped it.

Posted by: Hail2TheSquire | December 30, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

He won't be named All-Pro but he might be named Allstate.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 30, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Apologies for the visual but can you imagine these master-debaters, Rogers, his agent, Shanahan, Allen, and Haslett, sitting around the table master-debating?

This circus has to end. Can't stand another year of these drama queens.

Posted by: v6this | December 30, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse