Haslett: Carlos Rogers 'should be leading the league in interceptions'

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has many words of praise for Carlos Rogers, but he also acknowledges that the sixth-year cornerback should be leading the league in interceptions entering this Sunday's game at Chicago. Instead, Rogers, the team's top cover corner, has only one thus far.

"He's done a great job, he really has, at covering guys," Haslett said. "Especially in the nickel and the slot, he's done an excellent job. He's hard to throw over. He should have probably five to six interceptions right now."

The problem isn't a new one for Rogers, and Haslett said it could simply be a matter of concentration. "They come and all of a sudden, he turns his head around and the ball is there and he gets his hands on them," he said. "The other day, the one, he dropped it when he hit the ground, so I could understand it and he actually caught the ball. But, he's working at it and he's doing a good job."

Haslett said coaches work with Rogers every day on his hands, and he doesn't seem to have a problem catching the ball in practice.

"We throw balls to him every day ­-- the high points, the low ends. He's really good around the frame of his body catching the ball," Haslett said. "It's the ones where they catch you off guard, you're playing man, you look back and the ball is there. He needs to go up and get it and just bring it down to his body."

Haslett said he had a similar issue in St. Louis with safety O.J. Atogwe. Atogwe had three interceptions in 2007, his first year as a starter, but managed to haul in eight the following season.

"We worked with him and now he is really good at catching the ball," Haslett said. "I think it is something that you have to fight through. Once you get a couple of them then it keeps on rolling. [Rogers] has had at least five more opportunities or four opportunities. He should be leading the league in interceptions."

Haslett is obviously stressing turnovers this season and he expects Rogers to turn in a few more. In addition to his interception, Rogers has also forced a fumble and come up with 35 tackles through the first six games of the season. Coaches hope he can improve those numbers in the coming weeks.

"Obviously turnovers are the main thing in this league," Haslett said. "He should have a minimum of five turnovers himself. Hopefully, he can put that away in the second half of the season, in these next 10 games and help us get a few because that's what is going to help us win games."

By Rick Maese  | October 22, 2010; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  Carlos Rogers, Jim Haslett
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bears say Julius Peppers was worth it
Next: While tweaking McNabb's throwing motion, Redskins stress consistency

Comments

Let the river of hate flow...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Moe, our O scored one TD against Ratliff and Raji teams combined. Not sure about moving the ball on them...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see how they work with rogers on his hands.

I remember a long time ago that Andy Reid used to make McNabb wear a visor that blocked and unblocked his vision in practice like a camera shutter.

Maybe rogers needs to practice with a toy like that.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 22, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

No matter what any of us or any NFL GM's around the league think of Haney's selfish and immature antics, they know one thing for sure that's almost always been a question mark regarding AH....

...He's as in-shape as he's ever been. Not saying it's great shape, but compared to previous years (save for his contract year with TN in '07) he's fit as a fiddle.

I think Shanny is winning this battle of wills which, in my humble opinion, only serves for the betterment of the entire team. I think Haney is starting to give more weight (pardon the pun) to getting with the program if he wants to play.

My bold prediction is that Haney will have an interception in this game and while chugging forward and about to be tackled, laterals to Carlos Rogers who promptly fumbles right back to 'da Bers.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

No matter how good you think Suh is, we've faced Jay Ratliff and BJ Raji were still able to move the ball.

I think he is better then them...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd list them this way, with a couple more added in:

1. Ratliff
2. Dockett
3. Ngata
4. Suh
5. Raji ???

I need to see a little more from Suh before I put him higher. Most of them are NTs, if I were to include all DTs, I'd probably have to put Haynesworth ahead of Suh as well, when motivated!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

hate all you want.. we know he cant catch the ball, but he is a corner back. he is our best corner which isnt saying much, but hey get some sticky gloves and who knows what'll happen... even though we have a good idea what will.

Posted by: patljr7 | October 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton need to be in the mix.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patljr7 | October 22, 2010 12:16 PM |

It's the pink gloves. We all know the pink gets slippery when it comes in contact with balls.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Haslett: Carlos Rogers 'should be leading the league in interceptions'

Yeah, and I SHOULD BE sucking on Jessica Biel's big pouty lower lip right now, give me a break......

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

well said haslett

NOT TELL ROGERS TO TAKE OFF HIS F-IN GLOVES

CARLOS, TAKE OFF YOUR GLOVES

please, it's not funny anymore, actually it's never been funny

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

rumor has it that poopy has been removed from the board red, but I believe he's back as DixonTheDog

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Hessone is right, Poopy isnow dixonthedog. The reason he named himself this is because at one point I posted a comment on the Terps Insider that my dog named after Juan Dixon had recently been killed. Poopy thought this was oh so funny, so he's been posting comments like "Ruff Ruff, I'm Dixon the LIVING dog" and other vicious and demented comments mocking my dog's life being taken after only a few short years.

I know there's people on Redskins Insider that have hated many of my comments over the years, but I would hope that we can all agree after reading his recent jokes about my dead dog, that Poopy McPoop is a pathetic individual. Whatever beef he had with me over the years, there is no excuse for the cruel and sick jokes he has made.

He deserved to be banned and his recent jokes about my dead dog are further proof that the posting boards are much, much better without him.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton need to be in the mix.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I was considering them, but they are in the twilight of their careers and those other young studs I listed are probably better now or in a year. They'd still be in my top 10 though, even now.

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

We all know the pink gets slippery when it comes in contact with balls.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 12:19 PM

Cosign!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Carlos Rogers 'should be leading the league in interceptions'"

AH should be talked about as the greatest D-lineman of all-time

RI should be a leading source of inside Redskins information

Reid should be writing articles instead of blogging

I should be nailing Kim Kardashian doggystyle in my mansion in Potomac

See how "woulda/coulda/shoulda" works?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You're right...we're led to believe that AH doesn't love football because he doesn't give it 100% unless he's in line to be paid and sat out an entire offseason program because he didn't like the way he'd line up playing "the game he loves". Not sure where that could be misunderstood...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 12:11 PM
---------------------------------------

Here's how it gets to be misunderstood...
They only people to ever say Haney doesn't always give 100% are the media and fans..i've heard no coach or player ever make this statement..in fact, Fisher wants him back...as far as getting paid..how many new contracts have Haney had so far..one! a major FA contract..so to say he only plays when he's up for a new contract is 'Haney hating at best"...off season programs are volutary..he worked out as a professional athlete should...he just did it on his own...he came in in-shape and less weight which proves that...Haynesworth appears to be stand-offish no doubt..so he's misunderstood...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hessone is right

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 12:26 PM

Wow...don't think I've ever heard this up in here before.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"It's unfortunate, but it's been confirmed that surgery is necessary to repair the injury to my wrist," Clark said in a statement released by the team. "I have met with three great surgeons..."

Posted by: TWISI | October 22, 2010 12:05 PM |

When you meet with great surgeons, what do they suggest? Surprise! Surgery.

If he'd met with three great acupuncturists, he'd get it healed with a few pins. If he'd met with a herbalist, he'd be playing next Sunday with a rosemary poultice on it.

Don't ever ask a surgeon what to do unless the bone is sticking out the skin. And, even then, your first stop should be the skin cream counter at Macy's.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

PlayAction,

yeah, it felt weird writing that part. At one point I thought Hessone was Poopy, but am certain he isn't. Poopy's IP address has been banned but he manages to get on another computer around 1:00-2:00 west coast time every day (probably on his lunch break, using a computer at Kinkos). It's comical that he is soooo obsessed with me to the point that he goes to such great lengths every day to post some crazed and usually dishonest attack on me.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think PlayAction is Poopy_McPoop.

Here, let me fix your UserId for you!

Play_Action

hahahaha

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

When you meet with great surgeons, what do they suggest? Surprise! Surgery.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 12:38 PM

Right...you don't go to the car dealer and ask if you should buy a car or a motorcycle...duh.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 12:25 PM

Right...because coaches and players are gonna go on record with stuff like that. I choose to make my judgements based on these FACTS:

-Coming off his two most dominant seasons, the team that drafted him didn't want to bring him back.

-14.5 of his 28 career sacks came when he was playing for a contract.

-None of the coaches with experience coaching him wanted to trade for him.

-His teammates almost uniformly called him out for not being a team player in the offseason.

Yeah...we got him pegged ALL wrong...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 12:38 PM

Yup, if you hang around with a surgeon long enough, you're gonna get cut.

Posted by: wireman65 | October 22, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Vince Wilfork is 28 years old.

Posted by: lavararrington | October 22, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Geez what kind of doctors are you guys seeing?

"Buy one shoulder surgery, get the other FREEE"

Posted by: biggerthanjesus | October 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think PlayAction is Poopy_McPoop.
Here, let me fix your UserId for you!
Play_Action
hahahaha

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:43 PM

FYI monk...your Bud is almost gone...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 22, 2010 12:39 PM

That Poopy...he's such a gas...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Vince Wilfork is 28 years old.

Posted by: lavararrington | October 22, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Why'd I think he was older? Wasn't he contemplating retirement like a year or 2 ago? Damn, sorry if I'm that far off on this one.

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

how does he even go to the bathroom

Posted by: nativedc | October 22, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think PlayAction is Poopy_McPoop.
Here, let me fix your UserId for you!
Play_Action
hahahaha

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:43 PM

FYI monk...your Bud is almost gone...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Damn, you suck.

Alright, maybe you're not Poopy. I think what threw me off was you clogging up the toilet so often, my bad!

You gonna re-stock my Bud now?

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Haslett is on the clock. Our defense sucks!! We should have kept the 4-3 Defense. I'm tired of coaches hiring their sons and buddies. We needed the offense tweaked...not the defense. What a shame. If we're playing Albert the entire game in a 4-3 this season we would be looking at a 5-1 record for sure. smh...smh....It's time for the media to call out the real problem and get over the Haynesworth hate. Hayneworth was right by the way. Everyone needs to eat crow. Our defense is dead LAST!!! Let's go back to the 4-3 TODAY!!!

Posted by: kentonsmith | October 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

You gonna re-stock my Bud now?

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 12:58 PM

Yeah but unlike poopy I don't take the laptop in with me.

The other monks told me they are tired of the Bud...asked me to replace them with Miller Lite...hope that's alright?

Damn...forgot what my new prediction is already...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"The Bears made Peppers their No. 1 priority in free agency, and they lured him from the Carolina Panthers with a six-year contract. In the first three years of the deal, Peppers is guaranteed $42 million.
And he's worth it, Coach Lovie Smith said."

see Shan-a-cool

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

-14.5 of his 28 career sacks came when he was playing for a contract.

-None of the coaches with experience coaching him wanted to trade for him.

Yeah...we got him pegged ALL wrong...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 12:46 PM
-------------------------------------------

the team that drafted him..wanted him..but couldn't afford him...they got out-bidded that's all!

playing for contract?..all NFL players are always playing for a contract..no NFL contract is guarnateed...

didn't want to trade for him?..Who are these mysterious coaches?...Fisher has been trying to get him back since the day he left..remember the tamperin allegations?
not to mention these whole off-season up until the trade deadline...

almost uniformally.."child please"...Fletcher and Daniels..the only ones..and at that time we had about 80 players out there...these two are long time NFL players who took back everything they said out of frustration...

so you're Right! You do have heim pegged Wrong!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I listen to Rogers talk about how he locks down the other teams best WR week after week. In what world or fantasy of his. He fell asleep and dreamed he was Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey, or D. Green except when failing to cover M. Irvin or J. Rice.

How many times does a CB or LB or safety drop a sure int, then within 5 plays, the other team scores? THAT'S the real stat that Carlos doesn't quite get.

He also doesn't quite grasp how many lost points HIS team misses when they could have had the ball in better position.

How does he feed himself?

Posted by: morrisday1 | October 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Skins victims so far………………….

Houston: Andre Johnson-sprained ankle
Rams: Steven Jackson-Groin injury
Eagles: Vick-Rib injury; McCoy Rib injury
Packers: McKinley-Ankle injury; Donald Lee-injury…several defensive players injured
Colts: Addai-shoulder; Clark-wrist

I'm sure there's a few that I missed

Posted by: kingpenn1 | October 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Rogers should be leading the league. Well, he plays defense because when he started playing football, he couldn't catch. No offenseive skills, good athlete....put him on D. Haslett probably thinks we should be doing a lot of things. The only thing we ARE doing is allowing almost 500 yds a game........hello.

Posted by: Riggo2 | October 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riggo2 | October 22, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | October 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Phi: Asante Samuels(con)
GB: Jermichal Finley(knee)

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kentonsmith | October 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Kentonsmith, you are absolutely correct if the Redskins had gotten 2 decent CBs, instead of wrecking the entire def. to go 3-4.

The 3-4 is an excuse not to find & train good DL talent. The Skins had good 4-3 D linemen, but the transition to 3-4 has been tough for them.

It is also a defense which requires a NT who is big (READ FAT) enough to draw the double team every play, & 2 good CBs who can play shutdown man to man.

The Skins have none of the above, so Haslett tries to cover up by stunting. Hasn't worked so far... Everyone wears them out by running up the middle or off-tackle, & by throwing short passes in front of Hands of Stone Rogers & Arscenio Hall. When the CBs come up, QBs simply start to smoke the safeties, as Manning showed.

The defense in which the D-line stands up at the snap is sheer idiocy. Every QB who sees it audibles to a run between the tackles & the Skins get killed. Manning killed them on Sunday night when Haslett called it.

Also, I'm not sold on Orakpo. Although he is best in the 3-4 (He can't cover a slow RB on pass coverage.), he's lousy on plays run at him.

Haynesworth is a wack job, no question, but he's not a 3-4 NT & will never be one. I can't blame him for not wanting to play there.

Posted by: FormerBullisBulldog | October 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

jcnjcnj,

Obviously you've never played at a competitive level with your praising of Haynesworth. Coaches and players try to keep the dirty laundry in the locker room and not throw players and fellow teammates under the bus to the public. But, I laugh at anyone who even thinks of supporting Haynesworth's actions of being a team player...he's been far more pathetic than productive.

He came to camp lighter in weight, but not in better shape. He probably didn't hit one weight in the off season or take one "supplement." You can see he has lost some of his determination to be a great player and has provided lots of excuses to not be a committed professional. If he didn't have exceptional raw talent, he would be out of the league right now. And, again, if you played at a competitive level of a sport, you just hate to see fellow teammates not play up to their potential and fight for the cause. Haynesworth would go down as one of the greatest players if he had just a tenth of Fletcher's or Alexander's work ethic. Haynesworth is a dog, and believe me, behind closed doors at Redskin Park, everyone know that.

Posted by: redskinbo | October 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Skins victims so far………………….

Houston: Andre Johnson-sprained ankle
Rams: Steven Jackson-Groin injury
Eagles: Vick-Rib injury; McCoy Rib injury
Colts: Addai-shoulder; Clark-wrist

I'm sure there's a few that I missed

Posted by: kingpenn1 | October 22, 2010 1:19 PM

Although we didn't hurt any Cowboys players...we definitely hurt their feelings...

Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinbo | October 22, 2010 1:41 PM
--------------------------------------
you obviously no nothing about me..i have played competitive sports and i am still very competitive..obviously by your handle you have in-sight to the redskins locker room..and you say he was out of shape coming to camp because he didn't pass shanny's suicide test?..bullsh!t..even fletcher said no one else had to endure that type of test..it was designed for him to fail so shanny can get the upper hand..so even a competitive guy like yourself sould know if he's not on the feild he can't produce..not playing him is far more pathetic...as far as excuses..when has Haney offered any?..his position is "fcuk y'all"..and that's what got people like you so against anything he does...and those are the people i laugh at...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if he asked nicely Carlos Rogers could get Roberto Duran to give him his old nickname now that he's through fighting, you know the one- "Hands of Stone."

Posted by: kguy1 | October 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Let the river of hate flow..." Sorry that river is elsewhere today, I think it's flowing around Juan Williams and NPR. It will change course shortly and return, I'm sure.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | October 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

CR actually had an interception this year?????

Posted by: charley42 | October 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins need to bring in Rip Torn and have him throw some wrenches at him. If he can catch a wrench he can catch a football.

Also have Santana or Armstrong line up against him and do double moves on him. Hopefully they can get him from biting on the first move a guy puts on him. Come on Carlos, its like they taught us from pee-wees, recreation, high-school, and college, "Stay out in front and keep him outside, and turn your back to him when the ball is in the air." Remember "Inside Out" Carlos?

Posted by: clark202 | October 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Dropp 22

Look he's the best Skins got so...
What more can i say
Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: shamken | October 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Carlos' hands should be on Mt Rushmore.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 22, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

His own coach is saying that his instincts are not good by saying he basically is surprised the ball is there when he turns around...On any level pop warner to NFL, DB's live for int's. he might be the stiffest player i've ever seen in a skilled position. don't matter anyway, when the coll. brg agreement is signed he will be a free agent. They should make him put 30 pounds on and play linebacker...to think he is our best DB is scary to say the least...HAIL!

Posted by: klangley69 | October 22, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: klangley69 | October 22, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I did my research, Rodgers has dropped 42 balls in his 6 years. If he had caught half we may have had some games changed.

Posted by: stephenwilson2003@yahoo.com | October 23, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse