Jim Haslett's plan: More blitzes, more turnovers

Former Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache strongly believed in man-to-man coverage.

"Just line up and win your battle," cornerback Carlos Rogers said. "That's the way we played."

Well, not anymore.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett utilizes zone defenses and is expected to blitz much more often than Blache did when he ran the defense the previous two seasons. The Redskins revealed little of their new 3-4 scheme in the preseason, but that should change beginning with the Sept. 12 season opener against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field.

"There was just a whole lot we've practiced but haven't done out there" in preseason games, Rogers said. "You don't want to show too much, and I guess they wanted to see guys in man to see how they did [for evaluation purposes]. But that's over now. It's time to get it going now."

Last season, the Redskins were again among the teams with the worst turnover differential in the league. But that should change this season, Rogers said.

"We should be a lot better," he said. "Has [Haslett] talks about it all the time. We work on it all the time. With as much man as we played, I thought we did a pretty good job [producing turnovers]. But it should be a lot better now."

By Jason Reid  |  September 1, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Carlos Rogers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andre Carter adjusting well to linebacker
Next: Donovan McNabb and Mike Shanahan's offense

Comments

I'm gonna be blitzing every down.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

No quotes from Dhall in here? Boring...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

^ Though you wasnt gonna be on the team by now. Wasnt you to be cut before training camp, certainly before the end of preseason.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Awh Snap!!!! Hope big Al can get the right Def end spot figured out quickly. So far the run defense has been giving up large chunks of yardage on the ground. But, stood strong in the redzone. Lets go turnovers!

Posted by: kevinlc555 | September 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"that should change come Sep 12"

Really???? ya think?????? gawd.

btw, screw Lowenbrau....

.... tonight Let it Be Lowenstein

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 1, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Can we ask that RI reporters just paraphrase Carlos' comments. He's fine, and quite often entertaining, to listen on CSN during one-on-ones--but the poor boy is a terrible quote for print.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Jim Haslett's plan: More blitzes, more turnovers"

A type of blitzing not discussed by most folks is 'run-blitzing'.

With L Landry playing so close to the line, you can expect him to fire into gaps in various stunts, twists, and pressures to attack some team's running game.

Some of us have noticed during the preseason that it appeared that you can run on Jim Haslett's defense.

If LL is firing into the backfield and attacking an offense's strong side, he should make a lot of plays upfield behind the line of scrimmage--provided he has improved his tackling fundamentals.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Gunman in the Discovery Building......

Hope SMACK is doing OK....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope so, too.

Posted by: Markin21132 | September 1, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I hope so, too.

Posted by: Markin21132 | September 1, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Gunman in the Discovery Building..."

Gunman: Why the hell haven't the people run screaming when I fire shots?

Mike Wise: I'm the one who announced the shooting, and no one believed me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Jim Haslett's defenses havent' been that strong overall. I'm not sure he's coached a top ten defense (as a head coach or def coor).

I'm tired of coaches telling us in pre-season about how we're saving all our good stuff for the regular season. Prove it.

I'm not sold on Andre Carter being a good cover guy. Matter of fact, I'll go out on the short branch and say he can't cover a back out of the backfield more than ten yards.

I like Andre Carter, I just don't think he can play Lb.

Also, I think Haslett's defense has played decent during preseason, but its really hard to tell how they fare over the whole game. You know, coaches pick up tendencies troughout the game. I think our defense will be okay, just not top five material. Then again, if our offense can move the ball, our defense should get more rest and play better.

I know the stats(supposedly 1st team only) support our defense on 3rd downs, but I just don't see our defense getting many three and out sets. I hope I'm wrong on this.

And finally (plus not hard to do), I think our defense will have more turnovers. Maybe this will compound as the season progresses.

Posted by: Rando | September 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

One Gunman, One Hostage right now.....In the lobby of the building...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Just took a big dump.

Don't forget to check this out

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 1, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Someone pick up the phone and get Richie Petibone back at Redskin Park. He'll know what to do with AC and we'll be top 10.

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Just took a big dump.

Don't forget to check this out

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

I don't follow sh!t. Sh!t follows me.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 1, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I still think we use plenty of 4 man fronts, makes sense with our personnel, AC gets busy then.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

3 games, 8 turnovers. So far so good, now if they can only stop the run. 5.7 YPC ain't gonna cut it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Bad news with this Discovery Building thing, hope it all turns out okay.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Can we get an endorsed moniker for this defense? Or at least a slick, intimidating name for a certain package?

I love the "Psycho" defense Dom Capers brought to the Packers.

And I'll always have a soft spot for the "Cobra" package Blache/GG instilled here.

This defense should definitely have a moniker. It should be required before you field a great defense. And this defense will be great, let me tell you.

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What's our YPC in practice?

With our run defense and current run offense, its no wonder the coaches are high on this stuff.

Posted by: Rando | September 1, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Poopy...please tell me that you don't tweet while you're on the pot?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

psps, I was thinking "The Dukes of Haslett."

It wasn't necessarily a great thought, but a thought it was nonetheless.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 1, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

In the words of the late Great James Brown:

'Please...Please...Please'

BLITZ OSACKPO

"Hey Rack, I heard Romo said something bout your Mama...you should go ASK him"

Don't worry bout the 15 yards or the fine; it'll be worth it

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

lets see how they play firs then pick a name. Few Years back under Martin Lewis I called the Defense, the Big Red Machine. I always liked that one.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

What is RI's record on coining nicknames? I've seen about a million attempts and I can only remember one that stuck: Jasno -- courtesy of NateinthePDX. Jasno, himself, was forever challenging the blog to invent a nickname for Vinny. If you think Brownwood hates Dr. Z, it is as nothing compared to Jasno's Vinny hate.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Gonna take a while to get all this mess sorted out. I wouldn't look for a quick start in '10, but hopefully they beat Dallas.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: hessone | September 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Poopy...please tell me that you don't tweet while you're on the pot?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 1, 2010 2:25 PM
-----------

Well with today's modern technology, with all the silicon chips and such, it's rather easy to take a laptop into the bathroom and use wireless internet to surf the web whenever, wherever.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 1, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

We would have been in the top 10 with turnovers if Carlos would catch the mutha fckin ball!

That's the last person I would interview about getting more turnovers.........christ

Posted by: gixxer998 | September 1, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Pfunk...

So what if dudehasnt had ten tds in a yr.....

Last year he had nine.....

How many did our wrs have as a group????? Probly less than nine...

Ill leave the lookin up of the details to you....

See I don't care how he get a 1k wr, I just want us to get one.....

50 for 5 ain't bad........10 per yr.....

Cp26 gets 8 or 9 per yr, hayny gets like 14mil per year

Why not pay a player who actually can help us down the road...

Back to back duis?????? That was over four yrs ago in 2006

Back to back with a five yr gap???

People screw up, big ben rapped 2 women n people would still invite him over to dinner. VJ gets 2 dui's n now he's a worse role model then benny boy?????

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 1, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Okay. Not sure how to begin addressing all of the nonsense, so I guess I'll just dive right in.

1) I care that the guy has not ever scored double-digit TDs. But it's not only that. It's the paltry number of catches/year and the atrocious YAC production. If I'm going to cough up a high pick AND sink $50 mill(or something close to that) into a WR, he had better be a big-time, can't-miss, playmaking machine in the vein of Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson. (And BTW, look up your stats).

2) You don't care how we get a #1 receiver as long as we get one?...Great thinking there, Vinny Cerratto, glad you are participating on the board.

3) More Cerratto-logic. So we are already straddled with CP and Hayney's bloated contracts...HEY, WHY NOT ADD ANOTHER ONE! IF WE'RE GONNA OVERPAY 2 PLAYERS WHO CAN'T LIVE UP TO THEIR MONEY, WE COULD CERTAINLY ENTERTAIN A 3RD, EH?

4) Finally, I could care less about role models or who you want to have over for dinner. What I do care about is tying up tons of money on players with a pattern of off-field issues who end up hurting their teams b/c they face suspensions.

Posted by: p1funk | September 1, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

how about Twi-Light Zone? They could blast the theme song over the loud speakers on obvious passing downs

Posted by: coparker5 | September 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

You have now entered the twi-light zone...do do doodoo do do doodoo...

Posted by: coparker5 | September 1, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What's a blitz?

Posted by: Scoonie97 | September 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | September 1, 2010 2:54 PM
-------------------------------------
so good especially in the Red Zone

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope so! I would love to see more turnovers! I say 9-7 record if they get more turnovers!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | September 1, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

If they can't stop the run, the blitzes won't matter, it will just open one side of the field up to taking the run up field. Also gambling on an INT is double edged - you get the INT or you get scored on. The zone I like, but of course then the QB can attack the seams. The best defense is solid tackling on the first try. If I'm game planning against this defense, I run, and I look for the seams in the passing game with the quick hitter type pass. Then the zone must be able to tackle as well as defend the pass, and the advantage goes to the receiver. That's what makes the game so fun!

Posted by: marshb99 | September 1, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

HERE IS THE ONE THING ABOUT BLITZING...YOU NEED TO EITHER SACK THE QB, OR MAKE HIM HURRY THE THROW..IN WHICH CASE..HE MAY MAKE A PLAY ANYWAY..LIKE McNABB HAD TO DO AGAINST THE RAVENS. IF THE QB HURRIES THE THROW.HE MAY MAKE MISTAKES, ALSO GOOD FOR OUR TEAM.

IF THE BLITZES ARE PICKED UP...BIG TROUBLE FOR OUR TEAM. BLITZING BY THE SKINS HAVE BEEN CONSTANTLY LESS EFFECTIVE, THAT OPPONENTS BLITZING US, WHICH IS ONE REASON WHY WE HAVE LOST SO MANY GAMES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. IN A BLITZING SITUATION..I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ORAPKO BE A DE..AND ALBERT BE IN THE MIDDLE, AND ALSO BLITZ FROM THE BACKFIELD.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | September 2, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Blache actually blitzed quite A LOT, they were just completely predictable and uncreative.

Posted by: Ehren | September 2, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse