Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Phillip Buchanon says benching was "coaches' decision"

By Barry Svrluga

Three weeks ago, when he filled in for starting cornerback Carlos Rogers against Tennessee, veteran Phillip Buchanon said, "I know I'm a starter."

But in Sunday's 31-7 loss to the Giants, Rogers was out again, and Buchanon was benched in the second half, replaced by second-year corner Kevin Barnes.

"No comment on that," Buchanon said. "That's the coaches' decision."

Buchanon, a nine-year veteran, is in his first season with the Redskins. A former first-round draft pick of the Raiders, he has had an itinerant career, playing for the Raiders, Texans, Buccaneers and Lions before signing in the offseason with Washington. He was used primarily as a nickel back, but has started the three games Rogers has missed. In that role, Buchanon has broken up 14 passes, had one interception and forced two fumbles.

Asked if he thought his play slipped Sunday, he said: "I'm just playing football. Things happen."

Buchanon said he spent the second half, when he did not play a snap, working with Barnes, who played more extensively than he had at any point in his career.

"What I do is I just go out there and try to help the team the best way I can," Buchanon said. "Like I said, that was a coaches' decision. They made the decision. It is what it is."

By Barry Svrluga  | December 6, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Carlos Rogers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carlos Rogers healing, unsure about Sunday
Next: Defense must improve mental toughness: London Fletcher

Comments

Wow.

So benching Buchanon was the coach's decision, eh?

Now that is some insightful post-worthy breaking news, right there.

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I zoned out in the second half, can anyone tell me if the kid Barnes looked any good?

Posted by: Predator48 | December 6, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | December 6, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | December 6, 2010 1:41 PM

He was slightly below average. He's a #4 CB at best at this point of his career. He needs more playing time to build on his skill set.

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | December 6, 2010 1:41 PM

Well - on one TD run, he came flying into the pack so fast and out of control that Jacobs went right by him. Doughty cleaned up the play by dropping his jock strap in the middle of the field.

I think he was actually ok in coverage, but again, they didn't throw the ball that much in the 2nd half since the game was over by the end of the first quarter.

Posted by: Section104 | December 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

So benching Buchanon was the coach's decision, eh?

Now that is some insightful post-worthy breaking news, right there.

Posted by: p1funk |

You gotta read the blog every day to keep up. I'm sure what Buchanon was clarifying is that it was a coaches decision to bench him, not DeAngelo Hall's. Hall, you may remember, briefly took over defensive decisions some weeks back.

Posted by: TheCork | December 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Man I hate picking over the bones of another bad loss.

Can't we just move one and start talking about the Bucs/Jags?

And speaking of moving on:

Patriots 28

Jets 17

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So, seems that Albert Haynesworth showed up and could not practice because he was hungover.

Who made the decision that he could not practice because he was hungover. Was it him or the medical staff? And if it is true, just cut him for cause already.

Does Shanny have any balls, or would he rather pussyfoot around with a player that folks here are insinuating that alcohol is keeping him from performing his job.

Would not that be breach of contract?

Or, Diesel44 and TWISI, is this just rumor and conjecture that can't be sustantiated? If the Redskins can prove this, dosen't this give them the ammunition to go after money/contract of Big Al? Why would you just make him inactive?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Monk, you're a doosh among dooshes. I am amazed that you're able to type with a cock in your mouth.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget your pointy hat!!! Very stylish!

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Surprised that Barry Svrluga couldn't find room in this lengthy screed for Shanahan's explanation of why Buchanon was benched. It was about as direct and honest a statement as we've seen from Miracle Mike.

Meanwhile, sources inside Redskins Park are saying that Buchanon has been on the phone with his agent.

According to one source who admits to only overhearing the player's end of the conversation, Buchanan reportedly said:

"So now they're treating me like Haynesworth -- and telling me to ride the pines at least until my attitude and play execution improves. In the interest of fairness, I want you to call the front office and ask when should we expect our $21 million bonus check?"

Posted by: Vic1 | December 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION FELLOW BLOG READERS, LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE JASON CAMPBELL MOVE AND SEE IF IT WAS THE RIGHT ONE:

Ever since the opening game, where anything can happen, here are the records:

Jason Campbell: 6-2 (in games he played)
Donovan McNabb: 4-7

Salaries
Jason Campbell: $2.8 million
Donovan McNabb: $11.2 million

Contracts
Jason Campbell: $7 million
Donovan McNabb: $78 million

Age
Jason Campbell: 28
Donovan McNabb: 34

Draft picks
The Redskins traded up in the draft to get Campbell, surrendering a third round pick in the 2005 draft, along with first and fourth round picks in 2006. That was all wasted when the Redskins dumped Campbell after trading a 2nd and 3th round pick to get McNabb.

So, in dumping Campbell for McNabb, the Redskins let go of (1) 1st round pick, (1) 2nd round pick, two (2) 3rd round picks, and (1) 4th round pick.

Is McNabb really worth 5 valuable, high round, draft picks and $70 million more than Campbell, especially considering the 6 year age difference? Yes we all know the contract can be voided after this season, but if he plays and the contract isn't restructured, this is what he'll earn: $77 million.

Bottom Line: it has become plainly evident that some people were wrong about Jason Cambpell.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

DAN PLEASE DONT SIT BACK AND LET HIM RUIN THIS FRANCHISE.

Posted by: mhudson27

This may be the single most stupid comment I've ever seen on this blog. 1st, you would have to assume that Dan hasn't already ruined this franchise and 2nd you would have to assume that Dan Snyder has any clue about making football decisions.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

moe, gah, hope not....I hope the jets win on a last second field goal....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Phillip Buchanon says benching was "coaches' decision"

No matter what he says, Hagans looked like an ALL PRO the entire time Buchanan covered him.

Thing is, he isn't one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Daniels on Haynesworth: It's dragging us down

* TAGS:
* Albert Haynesworth
* Keim
* Mike Shanahan
* Phillip Daniels
* Redskins

Comments (0) "BookmarkShare PrintPrint
By: John Keim 12/06/10 1:31 PM
Examiner Staff Writer

Phillip Daniels paused, his eyes started to water his words tough to find. He was choking up. At the end of an a nearly 10-minute brutally honest conversation about Albert Haynesworth, Daniels came to a bottom line and a realization. He’s friends with Haynesworth; he’s also 37 and desperate for a title.
“I’ve been through 15 seasons and I ain’t won [anything],” he said, before pausing for eight seconds. “So what I’m saying is, if I can come out and do this, don’t tell me you can’t do it….”
He paused again; more water; more lumps in the throat. Five seconds later he continued.
“I want every guy on this team to do well,” he said. “If you ain’t all in, you don’t need to be here. I’m tired of going through season after season where we lose games we should win, guys not doing the right thing, guys not putting the effort in. I’m tired of that. The Redskins, we deserve better as a team and as fans. We got a coach in here [Mike Shanahan] now that’s proven himself. He can win Super Bowls. Guys have to believe in what he’s doing. If you don’t believe in what he’s doing, then you don’t need to be here. And I’m speaking for everybody now. We’ll get through this man. I’m just upset that I spent 15 years of my career and I ain’t won [anything].”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/daniels-haynesworth-its-dragging-us-down#ixzz17MNUWCYv

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree, he wasn't much on tackling. Outside of Orakapo and London, nobody was into tackling much. This defense is so soft. Absolutely the worse redskin defense I've seen since the early 70's. 3-4 or 4-3, its terrible. Lorenzo Alexander is way to slow to play lb, our dline is not getting any push. Our corners can't cover tight. Any NFL team can complete a five to ten yard quick pass on this defense, 70% of the time. (especially 3rd and short) I hate this defense, I hate holding a team on first and second downs and then letting them pick up a lond 3rd down 60% of the time and another 15% on some stupid automatic 1st down penalty. This defense is soft, like a rotten apple. Play defense and we can win games.

Offense just needs linemen that can block, runners that can run.

Concerning Haynesworth, we've paid him too much to let him go or trade him. I say make him play or let him rot on the bench. This was the stupidest signing of all time and we have some doozies. The moves Cerrato and Snyder have made in the last ten years dominate the top twenty all time NFL stupidest moves category. It will take time for these errors to mend over. We have no draft picks and have already proven paying a guy to come in doesn't work very well.

Posted by: Rando | December 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 1:39 PM |

Lameo, dude. Can't you do any better than that?

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Barno1

We get your point.

Thing is, no aspect of the trade can be undone.

Moving forward, the franchise has to decide--again--if it wants to seek out yet another 'quarterback of the future'.

Keeping Campbell and rebuilding the line in front of him is what most smart people posted all last Spring.

Then Shanny traded for McNabb and sent Campbell packing--and the players added to the line didn't workout.

I guess Shanny is smarter than the rest of us after all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Concerning McNabb vs Campbell.

Some people need a mirror so they can be on both sides of the fence at the same time and still be able to say they weren't on either side, just a bogger illusion.

BTW, have I mentioned our defense is soft. I think its the only defense that has gotten worse as the season progressed. We need LaRon back, but man does one man make the difference? No, we still have no trench workers.

Posted by: Rando | December 6, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The thing with Albert is ludicrous that way Shanny has handled this. He says team is first, but he is undermining the team in the direct way he is dealing with Haynesworth.

If Shanny felt that Al was a pig he should have cut him long ago. When you wrestle with a pig, you both get muddy and the pig loves it and the pig wins.

Shanny should have cut Albert long ago and used his slot to pick up the best nose guard he could find to help the 34 scheme.

Shanny is the Coach and not Albert and he chose to keep Albert on the Team, then Albert should play. Shanny should play his arse ragged. The Team is better with Albert on the field period.

The example to set with Albert should have been over and done with long ago, but to drag this crap out like Shanny is doing hurts the Team and does not put the Team first.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't know much about Buchanon before he came here. But from watching him, its obvious he is a finesse corner who lacks the coverage skills to be able to play that style effectively. I'll take Carlos Rogers (and Martin Mayhew) over a Buchanon type. I could never see him cracking a Gregg Williams lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 6, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Glad Donovan keeps proving to his fanbase that week in and week out he is consistently a below-average presence in the pocket.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Fat albert is like my third car with 238,000 miles on it. That jeep is paid for and anything i can get for it is not worth the security I have if i need it. Him being here I believe helps the club in the long run with Shanny. He is saying that nobody is above the team, no matter how much money was paid. if you can't do the things to get ready to play like the rest of the players, you must sit. Not pout your way off of team, damn the team and your commitment... i would have been making him run gassers on a daily basis as i tell him he ain't going nowhere so he better get used to it... I think having that example week in and week out is a good thing for pros to be reminded of. He;s already been paid and cutting him only gives him and another team something they didn't pay for. He's like a beach house, it's paid for so we might as use it now and then. Fat b a s * % # rd.

Posted by: klangley69 | December 6, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Larry,

If Albert Haynesworth makes our defense so much better, why did he QUIT in the third quarter of a game where we also did not show up.....MNF vs. Eagles AT HOME?!

Let us as fans QUIT whining about how the coaches are dealing with Fat Albert...This mess will take time to heal and cleanup....

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | December 6, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess Shanny is smarter than the rest of us after all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------
Congrats on the dumbest post today! Of course Shanahan is smarter than the rest of us you moron! That's why he has 2 rings and is making millions coaching while your dumb ass is sittin at the keyboard Monday morning quarterbacking the whole thing. Campbell has a good line and a running game and now he is suddenly serviceable!? lmao what a shock!

Posted by: skins91r | December 6, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

ejharris what games are you watching with Albert on the fied the defense is a whole lot better duh,what dumb a@@ Shannie need to do is let him play the whole game.How many sacks do we have this yr harris answer that,and mistamoe lets not even talk about campbell how many times has oakland bench this guy to many he is still the same dude no better than sorry a@@ mcnabb.

Posted by: rdbdaddy | December 6, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse