Carter gets Good Guy Award in media vote

Every year, the Redskins' media corps selects one player for the Good Guy Award, given to the guy in the locker room who always answers questions, who always makes himself available for interviews, who essentially makes it easier for us to tell you what's going on with this team.

And to be honest, there were several good candidates this year. I don't think there would have been many complaints if the award had gone to Santana Moss, London Fletcher, Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers, Casey Rabach or Rock Cartwright. For the most part, it's a locker room filled with good guys.

But one guy has been consistently good, always insightful and always available. No, defensive end Andre Carter wasn't selected to the Pro Bowl, but he was honored Thursday in the locker room with the Good Guy Award. His name is on a plaque alongside past honorees Moss, Fletcher, Campbell, Renaldo Wynn, Fred Smoot, Phillip Daniels, Pete Kendall and others.

Asked what he'll do with the plaque, Carter said, "I don't know. I'll probably put it in my hallway, as soon as you open the door, just so you know how proud I am to receive this award."

Actually, Andre, you don't get to the keep the plaque. Sorry.

Nonetheless, it hasn't been an easy year to answer questions, especially when they've concerned so many off-the-field issues. But most days, Carter was there, willing to face the horde of cameras and digital recorders.

"It's just a matter of my background. I'm a man of faith," Carter said. "We have lot of men in this organization are men of faith. You have to have a little bit of optimism and just know that it is going to turn around eventually. It didn't happen unfortunately this year. But we do expect good things to come out of this tough season."

By Rick Maese  |  December 31, 2009; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas progresses in 'Drama City'
Next: Landry, Thomas, Haynesworth miss practice

Comments

No, Andre, you don't get to keep the award but, since you're a good guy, we know you'll understand.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 31, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"For the most part, it's a locker room filled with good guys."

Who are the a-holes???

Posted by: CheyenneWY | December 31, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Can we nominate Haynesworth, Portis, Landry and Blache for the first annual Redskin A-hole Awards. We can nickname the trophy 'the Assie'.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 31, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

JR "In his second season in the NFL, wide receiver Devin Thomas took a major step forward on the field and learned much off of it as well."

Let's not get carried away w/ Devin Thomas...He's still closer to being a bust than an emerging star.

2009 "breakout year"
25 rec 325 yds 13.0 avg 23.2 yds/game 40 long 3 tds
20 KO ret 439 yds 22.0 avg 39 long

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2009 2:58 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Criminy, Maese, you guys trying to get your post count up to meet a year-end quota?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 31, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

And about 1/3 of DT's stats all came in one game. One of the few guys we should keep but jury is still out. 4 more days of Zorntard.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | December 31, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, I agree with your premise that Devin Thomas is far from establishing himself in this league... but how many starts did he have this season? (Honest question - I can't find it anywhere.) I'd be surprised if he started half the Skins' games... and then there's the question of how many passes where thrown to him.

If we don't start the 2010 season with Thomas and Kelly among the top three WRs, I will... uh... I will probably post "WR-TE-WR" a whole bunch more times.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 31, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Andre. Keep up the good work. Next year is already bringing me hope. I see the playoffs a real possibility if the stars all align properly. Just a gut feel, that's all.

Posted by: diamond_jim | December 31, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Just a gut feel, that's all.

Posted by: diamond_jim | December 31, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I had a gut feeling about this year. Turned out to be Crohn's disease.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 31, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Predator48--It wouldn't be a competition. Clinton Portis would win the award hands down.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 31, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I had a gut feeling about this year. Turned out to be Crohn's disease

Good One! I'm still laughing.

Posted by: diamond_jim | December 31, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

DT started 10 of the 14 games he was active for per NFL.com player profile. Didn't start the first 3 (NY, STL and DET) or the Carolina game.

Happy new years to you all.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | December 31, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 31, 2009 3:06 PM

Very true. I'm pretty sure players like FD, MK, Rhino, and DT are counting down the hours until Zorn is GONZO.

Zorn did a terrible job of pretty much every aspect of coaching with possibly the most glaring being player development.

If it wasn’t for injuries players like FD wouldn't have even seen the field.

FD is my breakout player of the year from the 2008 draft class, then DT, followed by Tyron.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Toby Gerhart is a freaking HORSE.

Would Riggo give the nod to wear 44?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Your right on Diesel. Last year he goes 8-8. This year 4-12. I was hoping for 10-6. No one on the team has shown a marked improvement under JZ other than a few of the young guys, but they had no where to go but up. If we keep JZ, next year should be 0-16. Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted by: diamond_jim | December 31, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ToddStinkston. So, really, by any measure Devin had a not-very-good season.

Also among the stats demonstrating the lousiness that has been the '09 season, you gotta love that Jason Campbell is our second-leading rusher with 228 yards, and no back on the team will finish with more than 500 yards total. Great stuff.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 31, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, don't you think Tampa Bay is the logical destination for Gerhart? Since Mike Alstott left, they've had a gaping hole in their franchise for a big, white -- er, I mean, "fan favorite" -- running back.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 31, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Toby Gerhart is a freaking HORSE.
Would Riggo give the nod to wear 44?

Would the team ask at this point?

Posted by: daggar | December 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Toby Gerhart is a freaking HORSE.
Would Riggo give the nod to wear 44?

Would the team ask at this point?

Posted by: daggar | December 31, 2009 3:33 PM

Because the only way to know what Riggo thinks is to ask him.

Posted by: League-Source | December 31, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Toby Gerhart is a freaking HORSE.
Would Riggo give the nod to wear 44?

Would the team ask at this point?

Posted by: daggar | December 31, 2009 3:33 PM

Because the only way to know what Riggo thinks is to ask him.

Posted by: League-Source | December 31, 2009 3:44 PM

I'm sure Riggo would do anything if there was some sort of financial gain involved.

I was joking about drafting Gerhart...

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse