Blache on Carter: 'The player every coach wants'

Defensive end Andre Carter is enjoying his best season since joining the Redskins in 2006. His 11 sacks are tied for fourth in the NFL, and his 12 tackles for a loss are also a league-best. According to league numbers, his 57 tackles are the most of any defensive end. According to the team's figures, he has 82 tackles, which already mark a career high. Defensive coordinator Greg Blache spoke Monday about coaching Carter:

On Carter's improvement since last season: "Well, two years ago, Andre had 10.5 sacks. And last year, Andre had a foot that hurt him and he wasn't able to practice for more than half the season. But you know what? He showed up every week and people didn't realize he was playing on one leg. That's the kind of player he is. Andre is the most unselfish defensive end you're going to see. He doesn't play the game for stats, he plays the game the way you ask him to do. If you want him to squeeze a guy down, he does it. If you ask him to dip and rip, he's gonna dip and rip. Andre is the player every coach wants."

On why coaches like him: "He wants to do things exactly like you ask him. If I have a criticism of Andre, it's that he sometimes tries too hard to please you. Andre is a great piano player, and sometimes I have to tell him: 'Dre, it's like you're playing the piano. Close your eyes and play. Feel the music, feel the game. Just play.' And when he does that, he's awesome."

On Carter's stats: "And if so many people want to study all the statistics, then take his numbers. If you want a guy who plays the run as well as the pass, you'd be hard-pressed not to take him this year. He's going to have the numbers, as far as the sacks are concerned, and he's a guy people respect and don't want to run at. So many guys over the years have gone to the Pro Bowl strictly because of their sack numbers at that position; it had nothing to do with being a complete football player."

From the Bog

Among other things Clinton Portis talked about on the "John Thompson Show" yesterday, he compared the Redskins to the U. Dan Steinberg has the details at DC Sports Bog.

By Rick Maese  |  December 16, 2009; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thomas likely to get more work
Next: Blache on Orakpo: 'He's about football'

Comments

FIRST to say Carter is finally earning his money.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I get the feeling that CP's days as a REDSKIN are over. And I think PORTIS wants that too.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

brownie:

Good morning sir.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

"If you want a guy who plays the run as well as the pass, you'd be hard-pressed not to take him this year."

Definately true here.

The last two seasons, it looked like teams attacked A Carter by running straight at him.

Now he controls the perimeter and is stout against the run.

And we all know about the sacks and pressures.

Too bad, though, that he won't make the Pro Bowl.

Or will he?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey brownwood:

Do you think VC and DANO are about to try engineering some trades for high-profile REDSKINS? ARE, PORTIS, SELLERS? I get the sense that the off-season is going to see a lot of people coming and going with the draft the icing on the cake.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

"I get the feeling that CP's days as a REDSKIN are over. And I think PORTIS wants that, too."

Running Back Math:

Clinton Portis=Fred Taylor=Shuan Alexander=Corey Dillon=Eddie George=Stephan Davis

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Having MONEYSWORTH off his left shoulder hasn't hurt one bit this season. Maybe the replacements for big AL are learning something as well. Their play is certainly helping both ends. And is the camera angle out of focus. Don't I see ORAKPO moving from one defensive end to another at times? And I know I've see PHILLIP DANIELS inside at tackle on occasion.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

MOE:

It's too early man. WTF!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:40 AM

Doubt it...Sellers just resigned this year I believe, and Portis will only go if Snyder wises up to the reality that the uncapped year isn't a time to load up on big names, but a time to shed these big salaries. This get out of jail free card comes only once, so hopefully ARE and Portis are on their way out.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I liked what TODD YODER brought to SELLERS' position in terms of energy, and ability. I can't say I've been particularly impressed with MS since that bad injury off the cheap shot he took three seasons ago.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Well I know it, and you know it. Do you think the ring-master knows it?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Well I know it, and you know it. Do you think the ring-master knows it?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 16, 2009 8:00 AM

I wouldn't bet on it, but I guess we'll see in a few months.

The best belated Christmas present I could get this year is seeing Zorn and Vinny canned and Snyder having an epiphany and getting Kevin Colbert from Pittsburgh who then hires Russ Grimm to be head coach.

But I get the impression I've got a better chance of seeing Santa Claus getting wedged in my chimney...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"For everything that [goes] on, I'm to blame, so why wouldn't I be the change?"

quote from CP....wow...guy hates being out of the spot light, and is in SUCH denial of his declining skills,that he has to make himself the subject of everything no matter what it is....If someone asked him about Rak's success as a rookie, he'd probably talk about his ypc while in Denver...get this guy please...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Greg, I've been pretty tired of Portis's act for a couple years now. He talks more than he produces, and the sooner he's off this roster, the better.

I remember some up here arguing with me over whether he had a good 3 years left in him...what a sucker's bet. I thought he'd at least play well this year; looks like the wheels fell off even earlier than this cynic expected.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

brown, just that comment rubs me the wrong way, "I'm to blame", well clinton, to whom much is given, much is expected. you showed up out of shape, almost started a locker room fight by throwing your fb under the bus, and lesser talented guys are running better than you did....so yeah, you are to blame, but you brought it on yourself...how about some personal responsibility, how about that Clinton...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Playing time from the Times:

DEFENSE (71 snaps)

DL: Golston 50, Alexander 27, Daniels 43, A. Montgomery 23, Griffin 23, Carter 54.

LB: Fletcher 71, Orakpo 62, McIntosh 53, Blades 2, Wilson 20.

DB: Tryon 20, Rogers 70, Smoot 71, Westbrook 1, Landry 71, Doughty 67, Moore 17.

OFFENSE (63 snaps)

RB: Mason 14, Ganther 38, Cartwright 11.

TE: Davis 60, Yoder 44, Alexander 3.

WR: Thomas 47, Kelly 24, Randle El 22, Mitchell 4, Moss 56.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

how about that Clinton...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Well, how about what?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 16, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

how about some personal responsibility, how about that Clinton...

red, I was just talking about how CP likes to fasten himself to the cross, and make himself out to be such a martyr....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"RB: Mason 14, Ganther 38, Cartwright 11."

Further proof that a rested trio of backs is better than one guy getting the rock 25 times a game.

Unless, of course, that guy is Walter Payton.

Best Athlete To Ever Play in the NFL

(The idea is the guy would've succeeded at a position other than the own he's known for.)

pick'em

Walter Payton

Kellen Winslow

Paul Krause

Reggie White

Jerry Rice

Darryl Green

Champ Bailey

Roy Green

Deon Sanders

Mike Haynes

Terry Metcalf

I'm stuck on stupid on this one.

But if there was a draft tomorrow featuring any of these guys, I'd take Rice and Green.

If they suck, I can say if anything, they make a great meal.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

CP26 is the Allen Iverson of the NFL.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 16, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

moe, I was screaming for them to use portis less and betts more this year, but as we've seen with JZ and his inability to use multiple players, he doesn't get it...

seems like having multiple backs and here's the thing, ACTUALLY using them is the way of NFL at this point....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse