Cartwright Update and Other Things

Jason Reid sends this epistle from Redskins Park:
Return specialist Rock Cartwright stopped by Redskins Park today, but his visit had nothing to do with free agency. After picking up his mail and chatting briefly with special teams coach Danny Smith, Cartwright acknowledged the free-agent process hasn't been much fun for him yet.
"Kind of frustrated," he said. "Thought something would have been happened by now, but it hasn't. I'm sure something will happen, hopefully soon."
Cartwright became a free agent when he achieved performance incentives last season that voided the remainder of his contract. He is believed to be seeking $2 million in guaranteed money in his next contract, which is more than the Redskins are willing to pay.
Vinny Cerrato has said he's interested in re-signing Rock. At this point, however, Cartwright isn't interested in taking the veteran's minimum. Of course, he could change his mind if the process drags on and no one offers what he wants.
"We're just waiting around to see what's going to happen," Cartwright said. "I know the market's kind of slow right now."
Waiting has been the toughest part for Cartwright, who figured he would have drawn more interest from teams after ranking sixth in the NFL with 1,339 yards on kickoff returns.
"I would love to finish my career as a Washington Redskin, but ultimately that's not up to me," he said. "I love the organization, I love the fans, I would love to be here."
As for any other news on free agency, there's still not much to report. Cerrato says the Redskins have no visits scheduled for the remainder of this week or early next week.
Cerrato and Karl Swanson continue to interview candidates for the Redskins' top media relations job that opened when the team decided to move forward without Chris Helein. The buzz around the complex is that Chad Steele, the Ravens' director of media relations, is the front-runner (it's supposedly his job to lose).
Cerrato has continued to reach out to agents of free agents the Redskins are interested in signing if prices start dropping considerably, which could happen next week. The coaching staff has been preparing for the draft while working on the new offensive playbook, and that's about it from out here at the complex.
I've been working solo at the park the last few days while J La searches for a house (remember the Carrington Estate in "Dynasty"?), but he continues to work the phones like an animal. From what we can gather, the Redskins will remain on the sideline unless they can get a bargain.
I recently put down some roots in the area, leaving behind the sunshine and warmth of California for my foreseeable future. I'm all about the Redskins all the time now, so please keep reading so I can feed the wife and kid.
I'll be hanging out with the super people from Comcast SportsNet tomorrow night between 5-6 p.m. on "Washington Post Live." My main man Dave Sheinin (simply one of the best baseball writers in the country) and rising Post prep writer Paul Tenorio (he'll probably have my job by this time next year) are scheduled to be guests on the show, so they'll be able to carry me. Later.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 6, 2008; 1:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update (If You Can Call It That)
Next: Three Teams Eye Brunell

Comments

Why doesn't Rock get into serious negotiations with the Redskins? If he "wants to be a Redskin" then show it. Sign a contract.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how 'Ultimately, it's not (his) decision'.

Who's is it?

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 6, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I like my llyod burgers flamebroiled.....

Posted by: Oldschool | March 6, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I want to be play soccer for DC United. Doesn't mean I would sacrifice my job to play for a $1 contract.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Rock needs to re-think his position, make a reasonable counter to the Redskins and sign ASAP. Otherwise he risks signing the vet minimum waiting the process out.

Posted by: mdvj | March 6, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Rock is trying to make this look like its the ownership who is preventing him from being here, when in reality, its his over inflated understanding of his ability to be a #2 running back in the NFL.

When he re-signs with the Redskins in a week, for the vet minimum, he'll have no one to blame but himself for this whole process.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Cartwright picks up mail.

This is the level of detail to which we hamster have grown accustom.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"he continues to work the phones like an animal" - What kind of animal would that be? An octopus with multiple phones, a persistent eager beaver?

Posted by: Markin21132 | March 6, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 02:04 PM

What will he blame himself for? If he signs now, it will be for the vet minimum. Why wouldn't he wait it out to see if something better pops up? It's not like the Redskins are actively pursuing his replacement right now. He really has nothing to lose.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's timesheet:

Rearrange office furniture to power position
(2.5 hours)

Reach out to agents of free agents
(2.5 hours)

Practice sound bytes in mirror
(2.5 hours)

Meet with media schlubs
(.05 hours)

Grand Total = 8 hours

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

_Stumped_ - you forgot - re-rearrange the furniture to original position becaue Danny didn't like the new look..

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 6, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Stumped,

That's the way it should be. Here's an alternative:

Trading 1st and 3rd for Chad Johnson
(2.5 hours)

Trading 2nd and 5th for Lance Briggs
(1.5 hours)

Trading Betts for a ham sandwich and a 7th
(3.5 hours)

Negotiating new carousel for Six Flags
(1.0 hours)

Total 8.5 hours (.5 hours comp time due)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

He can blame himself for not having a good grasp on his skills as a football player. Apparently 32 NFL teams don't think he's much more than a special teams player, and not much more. They all apparently are in agreement regarding his ability to be a #2 back.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Markin21132 | March 6, 2008 02:06 PM

A telephant.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't JR get his own blog account to post under, or is this just another way for Cindy to maintain the natural order of things? :-)

BTW, this offseason is boring me. I've resorted to watching old Westerns on Netflix.

Posted by: PDiddy | March 6, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,

Old westerns? That's bad. How 'bout we bring back Barno to get your adrenalin flowing.

Which old westerns are you recommending? I'll bet my old westerns are older than your old westerns.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"reach out to agents of free agents"

Who wouldn't want this in their job description?

Could be chemistry, could be intelligence, could be anything.

Good work JaZon R.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Chad Johnson is worth a 1st and a third.

Larry Fitzgerald is EASILY worth two firsts... and maybe a little more. There doesnt seem to be anything we really want with our 1st rounder this year and hopefully we will have a pick in the late teens or 20s next year, so why not trade for a stud WR bound for the hall of fame who has atleast 10 more years left in him as a #1WR and possibly more as a #2 or #3.

If we could free up enough cap room for Fitzgerald, he's worth anything less than three 1st rounders.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm starting with the John Wayne oeuvre and moving on from there.

I could do without barno for a while. I am enjoying the completely crazy folk over on the political blogs, though. Wow, even when the ExtremeSkins pinheads came over for a visit it was nowhere near as nutty as it is on Cilizza's blog or on The Trail blog.

Anyway, off to my first lunch of the day! I've got my sombrero ready for some Mexican food :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | March 6, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

te, your's might be older, but I bet you a ham sandwich that mine are westerner.

Posted by: -swb | March 6, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 02:28 PM

Says the man behind the Dickerson trade.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I bet you a ham sandwich that mine are westerner.

Posted by: -swb | March 6, 2008 02:29 PM

Good one, person I haven't met. How west are they? Hawaii? Australia?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"Chad Johnson is worth a 1st and a third"

Not sure I agree with this. Randy Moss went for a 4th.

I'd rather we drafted a wide-out with either our first or third, and drafted a guard with the other pick, and improved the team.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Indeed - Diddy was trying to be the voice of reason on the political blogs, and the scene was reminescent of Kevin Bacon's seminal role in "Animal House" - there was no reasoning with any of those folks

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 6, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,
I think it's great to have Jason covering for Jason.

I think Jason may have been hanging around the Park so long that things had atrophied. Having Jason there is is good because he brings new blood and can build new relationships. Later when Jason comes back people will be glad to see him again and perhaps more willing to share. Now there's plenty of Jason to go around.

All work and no play makes Jason...Jason an d Jason.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Rock can't even be a #3 back...... He would be better used as both a kick and punt returner, would to see him in both roles..... but he is the poster face for the dime a dozen NFL player, actually he has way exceded the avg. for a 7th rounder....

Posted by: Oldschool | March 6, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

there was no reasoning with any of those folks

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 6, 2008 02:37 PM

This is why we are here on RI, where reason always prevails and, compared to the rest of us hyperreasonable people (like you and me), Diddy seems a bit intemperate every now and then.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I agree with this. Randy Moss went for a 4th.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 02:34 PM

-------------------------------------------

If we truly want to build this offense around Jason Campbell, he needs aig, reliable target. He needs an SOLID, EXPERIENCED receiver. Thats what CJ would provide. He's totally worth it.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, that argument about Moss for a 4th is flawed - thats like saying Tom Brady went for a 6th so we should use a 6th round on a QB because then we would have the next Tom Brady - or saying that tom brady would only be worth a 6th in a trade.

My philosophy is you use the draft for your offensive and defensive lines, linebackers, and running backs.

skill positions like WR and CB are just too "hit or miss" in the draft. You need to trade or sign those players as free agents.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

TE, so far west that they're east. The Far East that is, which is actually West, in a way. Do kung fu movies count as westernererers?

Posted by: -swb | March 6, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"As was mentioned by Cerrato on redskins radio, the later rounds in the draft are FULL of good offensive and defensive linemen. We have just as good a chance of getting a GOOD o- or d-lineman in the later rounds as we do in the first."

That's one of the most illogical statements i've heard on this blog. Players get picked in the first round for a reason and players get picked in the later rounds for a reason. And it's not because they're just as good as each other.

"a big receiver is a HUGE NEED of this team. trading a first - when theres not anyone of "value" at a position of need at 21 anyways, why not use that pick and a lower round pick to fill a GLARING NEED on our team."

A receiver - not "big" receiver - is a need for this team. And it's not a "HUGE" or "GLARING NEED." More like a luxury. It would be nice to have one, but we won't be suffering without one.

I won't argue against CJ. I like him, I think he'd do well with this team, and I think he's worth a 1st rounder. But this team doesn't need a CJ to be successful. They need help at other positions much more than at WR.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hail reason! and like, such as, Maps.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute... Cindy is a dude?

How did I miss that in nearly over a year of hamsterdom?

Posted by: TDawg | March 6, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Seth, CJ is 30 years old, and most likely would want to re-do his contract over. Not to mention that he's not a "big receiver" by any stretch, and a third round pick should by no means be considered 'lower rounds'.

So, instead of getting younger, and gaining more players at a lower salary, you want to gain one player who is older, and costs a ton of money.

With good picks, the Redskins could gain 2 starters with the first and third picks at very low salaries.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Tdawg,
Cindy posted, JaZon Reid's piece (see top line).

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I agree no CJ, we need to keep our picks and get young players and build the team for the future.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

We gave a ton of cash to Chad Morton who didn't really do anything special and Rock was here for that so I'm sure he wants his due. Rock is consistently getting past the 20, making hits on the KO and punt teams, and providing valuable leadership and energy. I'm not saying they should break the bank, but giving him more than the vet minimum wouldn't be a travesty. They should keep him a Skin.

Diddy - Check out 3:10 to Yuma. I know it's not old, but it's not a bad remake. Of course, I guess you could watch the original one first and take care of the "old western" angle.

Posted by: countystyle | March 6, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Here are three I enjoy watching:

Angel and the Bad Man, and War of the Wildcatters -John Wayne

The Big Country (Gregory Peck, Gene Simmons, Chuck Connors Charolton Heston and Burl Ives)

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 6, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should give Rock a bonus for having an excellent name. "Rock Cartwright" is just a solid NFL moniker.

They could even incentivize it. If he's still named Rock Cartwright at the end of the season, he gets an extra $250,000 and a sheet of custom stamps with his picture on them from Stamps.com.

Posted by: freakzilla | March 6, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

country, signing Chad Morton to that kind of contract was a mistake. The fact that it cost the Redskins a 5th round pick only exacerbated the mistake. Hopefully the Redskins have learned their lessons from mistakes such as these.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Westerns - on of my favorites is "The Professionals" from 1966 with Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, Jack Palance, Ralph Bellamy, and Claudia Cardinale. There are lots of good lines but this is my favorite:

J.W. Grant: You b$st$rd.
Rico: Yes, Sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, Sir, you're a self-made man.

Posted by: Markin21132 | March 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

More news,
PFT.com
POSTED 3:08 p.m. EST, March 6, 2008

EAGLES CUT SPIKES

When we mentioned on Saturday that Eagles linebacker Takeo Spikes wasn't on the depth chart any longer and inferred that this could be a sign that the Eagles might be dumping him at some point in the future, Eagles web guy Dave Sparado called us "absurd" and "stupid" and "incontinent." (Okay, we're exaggerating. He didn't call us stupid.)

Regardless, Spikes is now no longer an Eagle.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network and our friends at WIP radio in Philly, Spikes have been cut.

The move creates an immediate $5 million in cap space.

Spikes was traded with quarterback Kelly Holcomb and a late-round pick from the Bills to the Eagles in 2007 for defensive tackle Darwin Walker, who eventually was traded to the Bears. None of the three players currently is under contract with any NFL team.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Rock wants 2M and we are offering the vet min @ 800K I am assuming. How hard is it to split the difference and give the guy 1.4M if he is willing to accept that. There is no happy medium with this franchise. We throw money all over the place on guys from the outside who do nothing for us and now are being tightwads for a solid special teams player who we drafted.

Posted by: cdubb | March 6, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Clint fan as far as westerns go. Two mules for Sister Sarah and G,B,U.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Now your talking the G,B,U. and the Outlaw Josy Wales.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Morton the brain child of Spurrier? Yeah, no thanks, I'm done making that type of transaction

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

High Plains Drifter

Posted by: lsoyka | March 6, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

This may make look like an idiot, but have the G,B,U. theme music as my ringtone.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

High plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales...sweet!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Does "Three Amigos" count as a western?

Posted by: freakzilla | March 6, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oldschool | March 6, 2008 02:41 PM

Brian Mitchell has said that he would teach Rock how to field punts free of charge so he could be strictly a return guy.

Posted by: jimwell | March 6, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 02:58 PM

You make a good argument, but i view a VETERAN WR as the BIGGEST need our team has for the following reasons:

1) WRs are probably the most "hit or miss" position in the draft. Unless you have a calvin johnson-type player on the board when your turn is up, they are simply not worth the gamble. If we draft a WR in any round, i would say there is a 75% chance the player doesnt last more than 3 seasons on the team.

2) Jason Campbell has a strong arm, but he's not particularly smart or accurate. He needs a BIG target who he can rely on to get open and make plays.

3) This defense has been SOLID with less talent than it has right now. The defense consistently bails the offense out. Most of our games in recent memory have been close because our offense can't put points on the board. Getting a WR who can score touchdowns will put points on the board and take some pressure off our defense. Imagine how good our older defensive players would be if they actually had time to rest because our offense could consistently put up long scoring drives... a stud WR solves many of our offensive AND defensive problems.

4) We can fill our defensive needs with picks in rounds 2-7 of the draft. giving up our first and a 3rd or 4th rounder would be a BARGAIN for a player like CJ.

Look at this scenario - its really not that bad:

1st rounder - Chad Johnson
2nd rounder - CB (more depth in the draft lower down at OL and DL)
3rd rounder - Chad Johnson
3rd rounder (Compensatory) - DL
5th rounder - OL
6th rounder - project QB
7th rounder - FB

In this scenario, we fill almost all of our teams needs, except safety - and there arent many good ones in the draft anyways.

If you still are hesitant on giving up draft picks for CJ, consider it another way:

Would you rather the skins spend our 1st rounder on Sweed (not knowing how he would turn out) and still have our 3rd rounder for another player who might not turn out, OR would you rather use both of those picks on a sure thing.

There is an old saying that "half a sure thing is better than twice of nothing." As long as the cost isnt more than the value of a 1st and 3rd, CJ is totally worth the investment.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

jim, sounds good to me, I'd like to see Rock take both the punt and kick return duties over. Sign that contract Rock, and lets get started.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

There is no way he can successfully return a punt. If Randel el can't make it more than a few feet Rock's strightline run into my own guys formula isn't going to work.

The Skins punt blocking is woeful.

Posted by: sams3 | March 6, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that Morton was a good transaction, but they don't need to trade any picks for Rock and he's not really asking that much. $2 mil guaranteed over how long of a deal? 3 years or so? That's no where near the Morton deal and with Rock you know what you're getting.

More on the westerns: you have to see "The Searchers". "Milagro Beanfield War" is good too. And Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp is great.

Posted by: countystyle | March 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"Sounds like SETH wants us to revisit the ways of doing business from the early 2000s. I'd be ok with trading our first for Fitzgerald especially since we are looking at WR there possibly anyway. 2 first rounders or multiple picks in the top 3 is not a good idea.

Posted by: cdubb | March 6, 2008 03:33 PM"

Right now, Larry Fitzgerald is the third best receiver in football (behind randy moss and TO) and the dude is only 24 years old. He has a tremendous upside. There is no "gambling" when it comes to him. he's put up impressive numbers the past 4 years on a team with no running game, a horrible offensive line constant turnover at QB. There is no way he would not make an immediate impact on our offense and post 1000+yard seasons for the next 8-10 years here. He is one of those special players that is worth almost whatever you have to do to get him. considering his contract issues with arizona, it probably wouldnt take more than a 1st and a 2nd this year, or our first this year and next, to get him. In the long-run, he would be totally worth it. we would NOT be throwing away picks on old washed up players past their prime like in snyders first years.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Sign the damn contract Rock...so what if we gave Chad Morton a ton of money. That was like 5 years ago. We can't keep using those past mistakes as references.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 6, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Seth, how about this:

1st - Jeff Otah
2nd - Jordy Nelson
3rd - DE
3rd - OG

Now, allow me to get REALLY crazy here. Lets say that all of these guys are contributing at some point. That means the Redskins just got MUCH YOUNGER, and haven't SPENT foolishly.

All those guys, would make less money than CJ, and would have a GREATER combined impact than CJ. Trading a 1st and 3rd, for CJ, SCREAMS something that Spurrier would have done.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS REDICULOUS! SIGN SOMEONE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 6, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet my old westerns are older than your old westerns.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 02:25 PM

Shouldn't this have been the cue for some jokes about your having picked up Tom Mix from the Giants last year?

Posted by: Redcoat | March 6, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Seth on LFitz being one of the best WR's. I'd love to have him on our team but you saw how far it got AZ to have him in a terrible division. NE will be good with or without Moss, Brady makes that team go. TO is huge for Dallas but didn't have that big an impact til Romo was in there. My whole thing is we give up picks we are ignoring our aging lines on both sides. If we can't block we could have all 3 of those guys at WR and it wouldn't matter.

Posted by: cdubb | March 6, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Mix is awesome. His recover of that kickoff should have been the catalyst to propel us through to the super bowl, but butterfingers Cooley dropped a first down pass to the 3!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 6, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Sports,

Your Caps lock button is stuck, and why should they sign someone, lets wait until the players are desperate and we can get them very cheap.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 6, 2008 04:08 PM

You just lost all credibility with this statement, Cooley is a great player and arguably the best reciever on the team.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

greg, i understand your point but you are ASSUMING all these players work out and you are also completely neglecting the WR spot. this team NEEDS a good WR who is over 6'0. we also need someone we can count on who has a history of being healthy, since Moss can't seem to manage to stay healthy. Mix is a joke. Thrash doesnt have it anymore. we NEED a WR more than anything else.

Maybe its just a difference of opinion, but our defense was top10 last year and we HAVENT LOST ANYONE on defense. on the flip side, our offense has struggled for years. we need to take our offense over the top. if we could be 100% sure otah would still be there at 21, then you could pursuade me that we need to keep our #1 - but otah is THE ONLY guy who fills a position of need that could still be there at 21. if he's gone, then that pick is of no value to us. if we KNEW we could trade down and get more picks, i'd be all for it.

But in all likelyhood, otah will be gone and no one will want our #21. its just too much of a gamble. CJ is a sure thing and fills this teams most vital need.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that anyone would/could argue that Fitzy is a top wideout. However, the Redskins are far from being one player away. They've got MOST of their draft picks this year, and need to utilize ALL of them. They have needs on OL/DL/WR/CB/LB. If in their first 4 picks they can get a player who can either start this year, or next, they're so much further ahead of the game than making a trade for a big name player.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

... may have been hanging around the Park so long that things had atrophied. ...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 02:41 PM

Did somebody say something about Rabach? [shudder]

Somebody made good point about incentivizing and Rock. By any reasonable definition, Rock had a BIG season in his KR game. I say that either he or the Skins should put an offer on the table that says vet min PLUS performance incentives, e.g., after X number of yards returned, $Y dollars for every 25 yards PLUS $Z dollars per KR touchdown.

It is at least theoretically possible that Rock was trying to EARN his voiding rights in order to enter free agency. If so, then that motivation/incentive should be replaced with something to encourage the same high level of performance.

Its an age-old labor-management debate, specifically, seniority vs. performance. Vet minima increase with seniority, so labor gets that one. Now insert some performance incentives to keep Rock at that same high level.

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

CJ is a 6'1", 30-year old. We need someone taller, faster, and younger because we're a little farther than one year away from winning it all. By then CJ will be 32 or 33 and still 6'1". I say we take our chances in the draft.

Posted by: countystyle | March 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Seth,

I would agree with your strategy if I agreed with you about our biggest needs. But that's where my discrepancy comes in.

I think too many people are taking our defense for granted. Yes, our defense has been more or less great the past four seasons (minus '06). Yes, a majority of our games have been competitive because of our defense. But that doesn't mean that our defense will be the same next year as it was this last year. In my opinion, losing GWilliams was the biggest blow this team was dealt this offseason. He got a lot of production out of marginally talented guys, something that I'm skeptical about Blache's ability to do. I personally believe that this defense needs some talent upgrades if they want to be equivalent to what they were last year.

I also believe that the offensive side of the ball has much more potential than it has showed over the last two seasons. Marred by injuries, never been able to fully get comfortable with Saunders, this offense never lived up to the talent it has. That's why I feel like they don't need much of an upgrade, as much as that seems like it contradicts itself. A change in offensive philosophy (Zorn) and a little bit of luck with health (which every team needs) might be all that's needed to transform this offense into a true consistent threat. If anything, the offensive line is the only part of the offense that worries me. THAT should be the focus of the offseason on offense. Find young talent that will be ready to replace the aging line, so that when JC does hit his prime, he won't be getting pounded like Bulger/Carr/Leftwich.

My opinion: pick up a solid veteran receiver through FA. No need for a superstar. No need for a #1 draft choice. Just a solid #3. Save the draft for o-line and defense.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Seth, you wrote that I assume that the players we pick will pan out.

Don't you also assume that CJ will stay healthy? Don't you assume that CJ will attempt to fit in, in this locker room. For as many assumptions that you make with the draft, you make just as many with a player who is approaching 30?? What if Moss takes umbrage to bringing this guy in?

We can play the 'assume' game all day long. I fully believe that the Redskins will be better served by focusing on their draft picks, and using them to the fullest of their capabilities.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Cooley seems to drop the 'must have' cathces. He's been like that all the way back to Utah State.

He reminded me of Carlos Rogers dropping the interception that would have put Seattle away the last time we played them in the playoffs.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I would be willing to face jail time to get Larry Fitzgerald. I loved that dude as a collegian and I love him now as a pro. He is my favorite non-Redskin. He is an uncoverable menace with amazing hands and strength. I don't know if he puts us over the top or whatever but I do know that I would be thrilled to have him in burgundy.

I read this rumor that we would be interested if they cannot work out a deal. I would take him 1000/1000 over Chad Johnson. LF has an amazing attitude to go with his fantastic ability. You can write down a minimum of 1200 yards and 9 TDs. Write it in pen, not pencil. The dude is wondrous on a garbage team. No complaints.

This is one of the rare times where I would absolutely advocate trading draft picks away. To the clowns who say that Randy Moss went for a 4th, there's a reason for that. He completely quit on the last 2 teams he played for and has a panetheon terrible attitude. The better market indicator is Wes Welker going for a 2nd rounder. It would cost us multiple picks to get Fitz and I believe it to be completely worth it. He is 24!

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | March 6, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I just like Rock's last name cause it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode that takes place in the Chinese restaurant. " I say Cartwright and nobody answer!"

Posted by: redryan400 | March 6, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Guru, Give the guy a little bit of a break. Even if he catches that ball, there is no guarantee that we score 7 points or even win the game! I do agree with the Carlos statement, he has some of the worst hands in the NFL. Good thing he's not a WR!

Posted by: redryan400 | March 6, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

greg, CJ has PROVEN to be healthy in the NFL. CJ has PROVEN that he is not a locker room problem (yes, he has antics on the field, and yes he is not happy with his contract, but i have never read anything about him being trouble in the locker room). Moss can't stay healthy so he has no excuse for being upset about bringing in CJ - certainly he'd rather have CJ on the team than lloyd.

with CJ you know what you are getting. there is no gambling. But every single "unknown" you have with an FA, you still have those with the draft (a drafted player could get injured or be a locker room problem) with the draft, you have NO IDEA how a player will do in the NFL.

Generally speaking, i agree with the philosophy that its better to draft than go after vets... but there are certain players at certain positions that are difference makers - they are exceptions to the rule. CJ is one of those players. he's a phenominal athelete and while he is 30, he has another 5 good years in him at least. I would rather trade the farm for Fitzgerald, but I think it would be easier to get CJ.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 6, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

AMMTS, Larry FitzJ is sooo good, that he actually earned the performance incentives in his contract and is looking at an enforceable contract that says $31 MILLION dollars spread over two seasons. All manlove aside, I don't know how ANY team affords that ... or what it has to do not to have to pay that ...

Another thought ... there was a point in time when Steve Austin, the "Bionic" Man, cost an overwhelming SIX MILLION DOLLARS! Nowadays, $6M doesn't get you a #3 receiver.

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

There are only 2 players in the league I would advocate trading more than a 1st and a low-round draft choice (5th or lower) for: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

They're at the only position that's worth the risk, and they're the only players at that position proven to be the best year after year. No other position on the field will change a team that much, and no other player is as reliable as these two. I'm sorry to say, if Fitzgerald gets hurt with the Cards, they won't be much worse than they already are.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss the discussion about Takeo Spikes getting whacked in Philly? That would be a signing that makes sense to me, esp. if Godfrey follows Williams to Jaxnoville ... (and if it were for Godfrey-looking money, plus a deli sandwich or two ... you know, whatever kind of meat or protein-laden replacement works with men of all faiths).

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

psps, I could probably come up with about 30 guys worth trading a first round pick to get. The problem is that most of those guys not only cost the cost of a first round pick, but actually would be worth the salary they'd demand (unlike actual first round picks).

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Like Calvin Johnson (an actual first round pick) ... I trade a first round pick for Calvin Johnson ... or Amobi Okoye ... or Carriker ... or Sean Taylor (rest his soul) ... or DeMarcus Ware ... or Mario Williams ... OK, I could probably come up with more than 30 (but its feeling like most of the guys I'd come up with would be guys who were actual first round picks).

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Seth, would you say that a player hitting the age of 30 is more or less likely to be injured going forward? No thanks.

This team isn't one player away from the super bowl. They have needs at a lot of positions. Trading 2 draft picks for an aging player isn't the way to operate the team as it currently stands.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

No team is one player away from a Super Bowl. One player does not win Super Bowls ... three teams within a team do. [Hats off to Captain Obvious.] What separates the Skins from the Super Bowl is (1) injuries, (2) officiating, and (3) luck. Actually, Skins are in that group of 12 plus teams in that category (maybe 15 or 16).

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

To all the Rock "haters" out there (and by that I mean those who think he's not worth a couple mil over a couple years)....

Rock would DEFINITELY be worth his asking price. He's a great return man. People are hating on his straight forward style. THAT'S what you need to do there. It's the shake and bakers who get stuck inside the 20. Rock consistently had us starting at the 35. He could also be used as a RB in the game (I think he's over the fumbling part of things that got him in the doghouse). He runs great between the tackles.

As for the defense...While we haven't "lost" anyone to FA, it's not accurate to say it's the same top 10 D coming back. We don't have #21 and we won't have Carlos Rogers and Rocky Mac until middle part of the season. Those are BIG holes.

Posted by: carocanesfan | March 6, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

sween,

Trading 1 first-rounder isn't a problem to me. Trading more than 1 is. And most 1st rounders aren't that expensive, only the top 10 picks or so are.

The problem I have is that you're getting trading 2 potential pro-bowlers (1st rounders) for 1 potential pro-bowler (a proven guy for another team, but not necessarily for yours. Exhibit A: Randy Moss, Radiers). And the guy you're getting will be paid much, much more than the other two combined. And he'll probably be older, whereas the other two have their whole careers in front of them. It's too much of a risk to give up much more than a 1st rounder in my opinion, for anyone.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

sports guru, i'm usually an agreeable guy... but that's rediculous. Cooley has been CLUTCH for us. Butterfingers? Dude has caught passes from 3 different QBs in his career. One of them was a lefty. The other a newby. I'll take Cooley over just about any other tight end out there. Gates would be my only exception. Forget Gonzalez. Forget Clark. Forget Shockey.

Give me the COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLey.

For the record, I feel as though your statement does not reflect upon your credibility simply due to the fact that you had none to start with.

Posted by: Dorf | March 6, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Larry Fitzgerald would be a great pickup, BUT....

How could we afford him? It has been mentioned that he is due $31 million in salary over the next TWO years. We don't have the cap space (and I don't think many, if any teams do). And he would be an expensive trade too (and we all know how stupid we have been with giving away picks in the past - don't trust the FO to not give away too much there).

Posted by: carocanesfan | March 6, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Rock has proven to be a stellar special teams player during his time here. He is the reason we were able to get away with having derrick "more shanks than a prison yard during free time" frost. that dude blows elephant nut$, and rock, sellers and thrash's great st play covered up his deficiencies. it is time to "pay theyat man his money" (couldnt figure out how to type like malkovitch from rounders). if all it takes is an extra 100 Gs and a guarantee of the first 2 years of a 3 year deal, then do it. another way in which ne leads the way for the league is that they pay thier decent st players a little more than most ( see kelly washington). this is a very stupid game to play with rock, a man gibbs identified as a core guy when he first got here. if its over 100 or 200G's then this is stupid. thats like 50 beers on game day. reward the man for playing his balls off and give him the decency of something more than a minimum contract.

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

best westerns: hondo, the man who shot liberty valance (the fight in the bar is great). i may be young but im definately old school

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Weird off season with no major moves. We need a big time WR, a first rounder in exchange would be OK.

Posted by: mbermudez | March 6, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

one last post

sween,
i would agree to give up 1sts for all those guys. but most trade bait aren't 1 or 2-year pro former 1st rounders. it would be phenomenal strategy if you could let another team develop their stars, then you get them at an equal rate from what they paid two years earlier. unfortunately, this isn't soccer, we don't really loan our players out to be developed by other clubs, then get them back when they reach their potential.

alright, i'm out of here. later ladies.

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

For everyone saying trade a first round pick for a wideout, you will be the same one bashing the front office for doing it if it doesn't work out. The strategy is do build through the draft so they say lets see if it works.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 6, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Rock would DEFINITELY be worth his asking price.

Posted by: carocanesfan | March 6, 2008 04:52 PM

You know, the test of what he's worth is what people are willing to pay for him. He wants a $2 million signing bonus. Out of 32 teams in the league, exactly none is willing to pay it. Are 32 teams out of touch or is Rock?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Give me the COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLey.

Posted by: Dorf | March 6, 2008 04:54 PM

couldnt have said it better myself except i might take gonzo if they were the same age. mans as consistent as any that ever played the game. 90 catches, 800 yards every year. but cooley is a stud and the skins are lucky to have him. he is the only reason this blog hasnt been talking about needing a big reciever for the past few years.

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru:

You're an idiot.

Posted by: downtown95 | March 6, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

... we don't really loan our players out to be developed by other clubs, ....

Posted by: psps23 | March 6, 2008 05:00 PM

You've identified another thing missing from my off-season jollies this off-season ... knowing who the Skins are allocating to NFL Europa ... and there actually being an NFL Europa to allocate guys to ...

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree its best to avoid locking up more than a reasonable salary in D'Angelo Hall ... but he is a good corner ... not Pac Man Jones good but ... wait, strike that, never mind.

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

larry fitz is the best wideout in the game if you take age and future production into account. chad johnson is 30, fitz is 24. chad johnson is a product of his teams offense, fitz is his teams offense. truth is fitz numbers would be even better if he played with a fast wideout like santana as opposed to boldin who's skill set is so similar to fitz. he is the rare 4.4, 6'3", 225 guy that every team so desperately wants. and IMO he hasnt even scratched the surface as to the things he can do in this league. he is worth almost any price the cards ask. problem is the rest of the nfl thinks so too so if he ever was made available the bidding would be outrageous. im talkin like ricky williams whole draft plus next years first, or herschel walker 13 draft picks crazy.

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

What if Moss takes umbrage to bringing this guy in?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 6, 2008 04:25 PM

Actually, Santana and CJ are good friends.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 04:57 PM

Why do you believe that the Redskins are only offering him a minimum contract? I don't think I've read anywhere what the 'Skins have offered him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 6, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Having said that, give the CJ thing a rest, it's played out and tiresome.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

++++Look at this scenario - its really not that bad:

1st rounder - Chad Johnson
2nd rounder - CB (more depth in the draft lower down at OL and DL)
3rd rounder - Chad Johnson
3rd rounder (Compensatory) - DL
5th rounder - OL
6th rounder - project QB
7th rounder - FB++++

You know what's THE GREATEST THING about this SCENARIO?

It PROVES to all the non-Vinny fans that the Redskins FO hasn't LEARNED A GARD DUMBED THING !!!

Dont' take this personally, but that's the saddest poorest draft scenario I've seen in ages.

Here's why. The skins FO can't draft worth beans. Ergo, the more the merrier. Infininite number of monkeys theory. They ALSO can't attract expensive FA's worth a damn, and Chad is a 30-something egomaniac starting the downslope of his career.

and if I may add one more thing....

AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!

Posted by: corkczar | March 6, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

this is from the post above. it leads me to believe that they only offered him a minimum deal, but i may have read it wrong.

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar, you must not have been around when I posted are first three rounds of draft over the last umpteen years. It was pretty damn good!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

2006
2. Roger McIntosh, OLB, Miami - 35th overall
5. Anthony Montgomery, DT, Minnesota - 153rd overall
6. Reed Doughty, S, North Colorado - 173rd overall
6. Kedric Golston, DT, Georgia - 196th overall
7. Kili Lefotu, OG, Arizona - 230th overall
7. Kevin Simon, ILB, Tennessee - 250th overall

The Full Draft Haul

2005
1. Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn (9th overall)
1. Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn (25th overall)
4. Manuel White, FB, UCLA (120th overall)
5. Robert McCune, ILB, Louisville (154th overall)
6. Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford (183rd overall)
7. Nehemiah Broughton, FB, The Citadel (222nd overall)

The 2005 Draft Haul

3. Cliff Russell, WR, Utah
5. Andre Lott, S, Tennessee
5. Robert Royal, TE, LSU
6. Reggie Coleman, T, Tennessee
7. Jeff Grau, LS, UCLA
7. Greg Scott, DE, Hampton
7. Rock Cartwright, FB, Kansas St.

2001
1. Rod Gardner, WR, Clemson
2. Fred Smoot, CB, Mississippi St.
4. Sage Rosenfels, QB, Iowa St.
5. Darnerien McCants, WR, Delaware St.
6. Mario Monds, DT, Cincinnati

2000
1. LaVar Arrington, LB, Penn St.
1. Chris Samuels, T, Alabama
3. Lloyd Harrison, CB, N.C. State
4. Michael Moore, G, Troy St.
5. Quincy Sanders, S, UNLV
6. Todd Husak, QB, Stanford
7. Del Cowsette, DT, Maryland
7. Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.

1999
1. Champ Bailey, CB, Georgia
2. Jon Jansen, T, Michigan
4. Nate Stimson, LB, Georgia Tech
5. Derek Smith, OL, Virginia Tech
6. Jeff Hall, K, Tennessee
7. Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 6, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

the man who shot liberty valance (the fight in the bar is great)

Posted by: matthewwmccarthy | March 6, 2008 04:59 PM

YES. Valence's little toady goes to pick up the gun. "I'll get it, Liberty!"

John Wayne kicks him in the chest and knocks him on his butt.

"I said YOU, Valence. YOU pick it up."

Classic.

Posted by: freakzilla | March 6, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

OK Clint fans, where did he get his start?

Can't recall a young John Wayne movie that was not really good. But Marshall Cahill was one of my favorites.

Winchester '73 was another super movie.

Can't add to the football talk, it is all said above.

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 6, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

... John Wayne kicks him in the chest and knocks him on his butt. ...

Posted by: freakzilla | March 6, 2008 05:52 PM

My favorite movie kick-to-the-chest is in "Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," where Jonathan Winters does it to Phil Silvers when he's digging under the big W.

Posted by: dcsween | March 6, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Does the Quiet Man count as a western? BYW, love M O'Hara.

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 6, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: filmchis | March 6, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Supposedly Randy Moss might sign with Pony

Posted by: filmchis | March 6, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Football, people,...we're supposed to be talking football.

Rock, Rock....you're dreaming my man. Nobody is going to pick you up. You've been a Redskin because..well, sort of "loyalty". Accept the contract or you may not play again in the NFL.

Posted by: al852 | March 6, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

al852,
aka blog cop.

beep beep

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 6, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Football, OK.

I love Rock. Great FB name. Does not = best kick returner in the game. Is it possible to upgrade with a young drafted WR or CB? This is what the FO might be thinking and feel they do not need to overpay for Rock. And like Hackett, he is finding there is no market for him, so the other 31 teams are not helping him here.

(Answer: TV show Rawhide)

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 6, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Post my comments or I will persue legal actions

Posted by: poolman | March 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Post my comments or I will persue legal actions

Posted by: poolman | March 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Post my comments or I will persue legal actions

Posted by: poolman | March 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Post my comments or I will persue legal actions

Posted by: poolman | March 6, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

1. Trade for Fitzgerald...worth it.

2. Clint started in 1955 as an uncredited 'Lab Technician' in "Revenge of the Creature". First credited western role was in "Death Valley Days" 1956. He did'nt start in Rawhide until 1959.

3. Best "Eastern/Western": "Red Sun" - Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune

Posted by: tripz | March 6, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Bogey's best with a great performance by Walter Huston.

Wild Bunch. Peckinpah's best film.

River of No Return; Marilyn in a soaking wet blouse running river rapids with Robert Mitchum.

How could all you Clint fans forget Unforgiven? Best Western ever made, hands down. I can't think of anything that comes close.

I really truly hope Jason Campbell turns out to be the guy.

Maple/bacon donuts? Stumped, didja bring enuf to share my man?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | March 6, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

No activity thus far

Huh.

. . . first . . . grudging . . . bit of respect . . . for . . .

urrrrrr . . .

ummmmmm . . . .

ehhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

arrrrgghhh . . .

gulp, . . .

Vinny

. . .

Damn, that feels weird

Posted by: farstriker | March 6, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

For his future efforts why wouldn't we pay Rock $1-1.5M per year? 3-4 years...the guy is a Redskin.

Posted by: danieljsmilack | March 7, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

...and calling Cooley butterfingers? Chris Cooley? I didn't realize there were two Chris Cooleys in the NFL cause' you can't be talkin' about the Cooley I know.

Posted by: danieljsmilack | March 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse