Cartwright: 'We Put It All Out There'

Jason La Canfora reports:

Rock Cartwright and London Fletcher, two of the team captains, spoke at a team meeting held this morning in the wake of Clinton Portis' comments Tuesday.

Cartwright said it was very important for Jim Zorn to address the issue head-on - "we put it all out there in the open," he said - and that that would allow both sides to move on.

Portis did not speak at the meeting, but Zorn told the team that both he and Portis probably had said some things they regretted, according to Cartwright.

Cartwright told his teammates they "need to stick together and hold each other accountable."

Fletcher urged the team to focus on the importance of the game Sunday in Cincinnati and said that, for the most part, "guys do believe" in what's going on here, but "every now and then guys need a little pushing."

Fletcher also asked his teammates to "believe in what's being called" and to "believe in each other."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 10, 2008; 1:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jansen: Issues Should Be Handled Internally
Next: The Preliminary Practice Report

Comments

first to thinking they dont believe a word they say

Posted by: Zeebs | December 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Oooh. Missed it by that much.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Way toooo medium ... sigh ... they lose Sunday.

Posted by: periculum | December 10, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's sign Ocho Cinco and Plaxico, that can only strengthen team chemistry this offseason! (Note: This is most likely what Dan Snyder is thinking)

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | December 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I think it sounds like the team is mad that portis said this out in the public, and not behind closed doors like its has been in the past.

Posted by: SAK2 | December 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | December 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree, those two are the only missing ingredients for a super bowl!!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | December 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Fuzzy21, The Owner is thinking about T.J. Houshma#*#&$(@ (sp). ... See the earlier quote getting Portis' back ... The Owner and Portis are BFFs and now T.J. is texting them.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

PSEUDO CONTROVERSY IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | December 10, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Sad. All it takes is one cry-baby to upset the entire apple cart. LOL !

Posted by: po403 | December 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

That's the issue here. JZ will learn from this episode.

CP....not so much.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 1:22 PM

Well, Zorn likely will be around for much longer than CP, so if I had to choose just one of them to learn the lesson here, it would be Zorn.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | December 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree, those two are the only missing ingredients for a super bowl!!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | December 10, 2008 1:24 PM

Ocho Cinco and Plaxico aren't in the same league. Plaxico's league does, however, include Michael Vick ... and the inmates are going to crush the guards in the big game.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

From reading the comments from the players it seems to be directed more at Zorn than CP. Keep it in the house. Keep it out of the media.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I wanted TJ (or Boldin) to come here before this season ... I think his contract is done in Cincy and why would he want to stay in that hellhole? Come to DannyWorld.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

from Cooley's site:

19 days before the season ends. "Don't fall down now we will never get up." Right now, it doesn't matter whats happened over the last month, what does matter is winning. We need to forget all the bull---- about who's playing bad, who's hurt, what Clinton said, why our offense can't score points and go to Cincinnati to get a win.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

By that I mean I think its fire in the belly time. Medium doesn't work. Time to put that in the circular spittoon.

Posted by: periculum | December 10, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

jm220 (if that is your real name), is John Thompson not "media"?

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

He still had all day monday and all morning tuesday to talk to him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Zj

You're nailing it on the head IMO. I think if JZ checks his ego, he could a lot about managing people and situations from this episode. I like JZ as the HC, I'm adovcating he be fired. However, I do want him to grow in his position as HC and OC so that the future of this franchise is as bright as I would like it to be.

Posted by: TWISI | December 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Peri - We just see it 2 different ways. No biggie. I respect your thoughts...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

fyi -- this dust-up is exactly why we shouldn't have considered ocho cinco. We'd be seeing this stuff occur ten times as often with him here. Rookie HC will have to deal with players going off, but the less of it, the better.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

same story different season. We've all seen this show, its a repeat, and it sucks. Maybe this year skins brass will finally learn

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | December 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think MrStayMedium needs to become Mr Angry Guy and start calling games in a win by any means necessary fashion.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Zorn does need to learn to be an NFC East HC. Not a left coast academician. NFC EAST Zorn. Its different. George Allen and Tom Landry invented it. Gibbs, Buddy Ryan, Parcells, and Jimmy Johnson took it to the next level. And now we're back with Andy Reid, Wade Philips, Coughlin ... get with the program.

Posted by: periculum | December 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Best part of this so far ... no dumb comments from DeAngelo Hall. If this was ATL or Oak, he'd have been (foolishly) speaking out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

al, agreed....time to put the medium crap to bed, get, and stay pissed off....just focus your anger on guys wearing Bengals uniforms...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis definitely laid an egg.

Posted by: periculum | December 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

more importantly, what did they have to say about Leigh Torrence getting released a month ago and ruining their season?

Posted by: nag1055 | December 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Danny should fine CP, just give 'em a little slap on the wrist to let everyone know he's gonna stand behind Zorn.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Peri - ... I respect your thoughts...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 1:29 PM

Agree to disagree.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The Truth, I completely agree. CP has three years guaranteed and has nothing to lose by "being Portis," whereas the team needs to know that Zorn has the FO's confidence if the team is going to be expected to invest in how Zorn is running the show.

If the FO doesn't stand up behind Zorn against an insurgency, then they might as well give him marching papers now (and get a head start on the head coach search ... avoid the joke of the last time they did it).

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I prefer disagree to agree...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

You know, I find that the older I get, the less I care for candy canes.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with chrislarry.

It definitely means "a whale's vagina."

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the team meeting looked anything like the original Under Armor commercials...

Posted by: P00P | December 10, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Sween,

I don't disagree that if you think Zorn is your guy that the FO has to circle their wagons a bit. But I am not sure that is the case. We will see in the next few weeks how they tip their hand in that regard.

My prediction is they will play it wrong by letting Zorn twist in the wind, and then keeping him...making it the worst of both worlds. Pangloss I am not!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I just prefer to disagree

Zorn is as much to blame if not more so than CP (Zorn's the head freaking coach, its his job to properly handle the players and the media). The fact that this is even an issue and that there is even blame on both sides shows how bad a coach Zorn is right now and how much he bungled this situation.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was gonna say that sween, but I thought I throw a little good spirit out there.

The 'Agree to disagree' thing is not where I wanted to go. Trying to be a little tasteful (for a change)....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe I missed the Leigh Torrance talk...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Peri - ... I respect your thoughts...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 1:29 PM

Agree to disagree.

__________________________________________________

"In the end there can be only one."
- from the Highlander

Posted by: periculum | December 10, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"missed", Curzon? Come on now. There's no wrong time to talk about Leigh Torrence up here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Where did you see that?

"sween, they couldn't presuade cowher last year. this year they know that they can get cowher. 5 year $50 mil. full control of the org that's his price tag to come to dc."

Posted by: periculum | December 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Beat Cincy and this dust-up is forgotten. If we win and ATL and dal both lose, Portis and Zorn sing Kumbaya on John Thompson's show

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

and seeing as how the only thing that Zorn changed at all (the passing game) is not working at all, I say can the guy and move on. He can't get the one thing he's in charge of going despite a veteran unit with a top notch TE, RB, and WR with 3 2nd round picks given to him as well AND he doesn't know how to handle players in the media, then what exactly is he being paid for and why wait to see if he figures it all out?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Good call, P00P.

I'm not sure what happened to the old family crest, so I think I'm going to design a new one. What's "We must protect this house!" in Latin?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe I missed the Leigh Torrance talk...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry, Curz. There's plenty more to come from Chumpfora.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 1:39 PM

On the Redskins Report last Saturday they were discussing the rumor that Seattle wants Zorn, not Mora, for their head coach next year. That would involve Seattle sending picks to the Redskins. If that were true, this has probably reduced Seattle's interest in Zorn and has also reduced the picks we could get.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

From SI:

And so ends the honeymoon phase in Washington for rookie Redskins head coach Jim Zorn, who this week got fragged by his unhappy running back, Clinton Portis. No worries, J.Z. -- Portis popped off about Joe Gibbs, too. Portis toes the line about being a team-first guy when things are going good, but when push comes to shove, and the losses start to mount, he's a me-guy. Always has been, probably always will be. You can look it up.

Posted by: RHPa | December 10, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

HERE WE GO FOLKS

The response from a New Orleans fan when I asked them about Leigh Torrence. Make of it what you will :

"Redskins fan,

In reference to Torrence,

I have seen him make some good special teams tackles. I think he is still getting acclimated to the system, but I like what I see so far. I think there is a ton of potential there."

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

peric, in my head. sorry dude. didn't mean to make it all official or anything just my opinion. cowher didn't want to coach last year and i think this year he's ready and who knows he might just bring charlie casserly with him. again just my opinion...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

F SI, yesterday, today and tomorrow....the most irrelevant sports media in the nation. If it weren't for glossy pictures that rag would have folded in 1994....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Peri - ... I respect your thoughts...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 1:29 PM

Don't thoughts involve thinking?

Posted by: mack1 | December 10, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Whatever. London Fletcher didn't practice either. How's HE know anything?

At least the Danny can get a jump on looking for a new head coach.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 10, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Its really sad...3 picks on pass catchers in the 2nd round that haven't contributed. Two big problems - (1) over-emphasized specific positions and not recognizing depth issues in other positions that could have been addressed with the picks and (2) doing a bad job of selecting players at WR/TE with better players available including Donnie Avery, DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal, John Carlson, etc.

Posted by: RHPa | December 10, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Raising my hand right now to say I love Cowher, but IF Zorn is fired (and I'm not taking that for granted just yet), I don't want Cowher coaching this team.

No coach has ever won the Super Bowl with two different clubs. And we just spent four years rebuilding the franchise under a Super Bowl-winning coach. I want the something fresh and new that we thought we were getting in Zorn... up to November.

The new head coach I'd want currently works in Glendale, AZ, and his name is Russell Scott Grimm.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Its also sad that we're all firing the coach after 1 year...this is the problem with this franchise...new toys every year! No one should even be bringing this up!

Posted by: RHPa | December 10, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sold on Zorn's West coast plans for the NFC east (Even the Eagle's "west coast" offense is west coast primarily in name imo.

That being said, what on earth are you guys talking about? Thinking about firing Zorn after one year (in which he has a winning record currently)? Who realistically expected the skins to be a winning team this year?

The players need to worry about playing the game and nothing else.

Zorn needs to shut that fat mouth of his and concentrate on building an offense that will work to the strengths of his team.

Posted by: ecale25 | December 10, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse