Cartwright's Ribs Take a Blow; Doughty Has a Bug

Rock Cartwright, who says some cartilage has pulled away from his ribs, took a hit to the ribs during 11 on-11 drills. He threw his helmet and took a knee in pain. One of the athletic trainers tended to him; he could be done for the day. Starting strong safety Reed Doughty sat out 11-on-11s because of stomach problems. "I wasn't feeling too well," Doughty said after the morning session. "I told them [coaches] I could have gone, but they just told me to rest. Just another chance for some of the other guys to get some reps. I'll be back out there" this afternoon.

The new safeties (Patrick Ghee and Justin Hamilton) were getting some work with the first team. Lorenzo Alexander and Leigh Torrence got tangled while covering a screen, but no one appeared to be hurt.

In other 11-on-11 action, Burl Toler beat Torrence, who fell, on a stop-n-go route. Derek Devine threw a nice ball to Toler for a big gain down the right sideline.

Practice ended at 10:10.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 14, 2008; 10:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Shorts and Shells Kind of Practice
Next: McIntosh, Rogers to Play Saturday

Comments

last?

Posted by: dan | August 14, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Premiro.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

How did Rock break a rib in the Buffalo game when he didn't even play? Was it caused by a violent spit of sunflower seeds?

Posted by: FrankTheTank | August 14, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

A modicum of intermediateness.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

The door is opening up for Mason.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

How did Rock break a rib in the Buffalo game when he didn't even play?

Posted by: FrankTheTank | August 14, 2008 10:12 AM

An overexuberant celebration following a successful Suisham field goal attempt.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Unless he fumbles on KOs again. I expect Mason to be the KO return guy on Sat.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Video not working?! Check back later?! But I want it now!

Posted by: Jsn | August 14, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I thought Rock had a minor rib cartilage pull and it was Mix who broke a rib....

Posted by: Siris | August 14, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Training Camp: August 13

John Keim
WarpathInsiders.com Aug 13, 2008

Smoot talking smack? Carlos Rogers will play on Saturday? How is Fred Davis looking? Devin Clark? It's all right here and more.

...The players will spend their last night in the NCC tonight; camp breaks after Thursday afternoon’s practice.

...In the 11-on-11 drill, Casey Rabach did a nice job controlling Kedric Golston on the first run, driving him out of the hole on a run to the left.

...Pete Kendall got to the second level on one run, but whiffed on his attempt to block linebacker Marcus Washington who then made the tackle. Have I said enough how Washington looks like his old self?

...Lorenzo Alexander grabbed his knee as he lay on the ground after one play; he limped off and should be OK.

...Carlos Rogers MIGHT play Saturday, but most likely they’ll have him warm up and then sit out and wait until the Carolina game.

...The offense struggled to get a play off on one occasion, forcing them to call time. To which Smoot barked out, "You’re burning daylight! We got a practice going here!" It was 9:35 a.m.

...On the next play, Smoot picked off Colt Brennan. Yes, chatter followed.

..When the first offense went against the first defense in a two-minute drill, the first two plays went like this: Taylor sack; Cornelius Griffin bat down of a pass.

...Tackle Devin Clark drove Chris Wilson back several yards on one run. Clark has done a decent job in camp.

...Fred Davis dropped another pass. Seems to happen all the time. This time, Brennan hit him with a good toss, but Davis turned his eyes upfield too soon.

...Anthony Montgomery still plays too high for my liking. I like Monty, but he needs to be more consistent with staying lower.

...James Thrash made a nice grab of a Brennan toss in the back of the end zone, surrounded by safeties. Jim Zorn has already said numerous times that Thrash will have a good role in the passing game this year. Every other coach who’s had him has said the same thing. We’ll see. But it’s hard not to notice him; the man has one speed. Plus he’s a wideout who will block linebackers and defensive ends. He did so against London Fletcher the other day.

...Brennan and Devin Thomas hooked up for a slant pass today. Thomas made a nice grab on the play.

"Great catch! Great throw! Zorn said. He then said to Thomas as he walked past, "That was a big-time play."

...Some players do talk about the Olympics. Today, Marcus Washington, Andre Carter, Babatunde Oshinowo and coach Steve Jackson chatted about different events. Carter and Washington then got up and mimicked a curling event.

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/779135.html

Posted by: Keim to da Post | August 14, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

the skins should look at le charles bently.

Posted by: brs | August 14, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

August 13th: They Said What?

Site Staff
WarpathInsiders.com Aug 13, 2008

See what Jim Zorn and Jason Taylor had to say today.

Redskins Head Coach Jim Zorn

On linebacker/defensive end Jason Taylor returning to practice after missing the afternoon practice yesterday:

“That is what happens with plantar fasciitis, sometimes it’s severe. This is something that has been normal for him. I think he has his problems in training camp with two practices a day. He works very hard and he did today. It is just a matter of how he can get it calmed down.”

On the health of wide receiver Anthony Mix:

“He [Anthony Mix] wants to be out there in the worst way, but he can’t even sneeze and feel good because of his cracked rib. He just has to wait until the pain subsides and until he can tolerate being out there.”

On whether cornerback Carlos Rogers will play against the Jets:

“If he [Carlos Rogers] does, it will just be minimal, but I would still like to wait. I am not ruling him out, but I will know more tomorrow because we are going to work on our [line-up] and talk those things through. It may just be a pregame deal were he gets ready and we shut him down.”

On whether five preseason games are too many:

“It was for us because we didn’t take as much time in the offseason. We didn’t have as many OTAs, so we used that first week as the rest of our offseason training program. That part was good, plus we got to work against another team. I think it helps the players to know that it is not an every year occurrence because it is hard, it does take its toll.”

On the health of wide receiver Antwaan Randle El:

“He has a sore hamstring. It is not a pull, it is just real sore. These guys have been working overtime. With all of our wide receiver injuries, are starters are starting to wear out.”

Redskins Linebacker/Defensive End Jason Taylor

On being the big trade of training camp until Brett Farve got traded:

“That’s fine. I wish he had done it earlier. It would have been an easier off season for me. Brett’s all the hype and all the talk right now and that’s fine. Now I can go back to work and just do what I do.

On chasing Brett Farve in a Jet’s uniform:

“It’ll be a lot different now for the both of us. I’m with the Skins now and he’s with the Jets. Not that we played a lot against each other before but it will be different to see him out there. With all the hoopla and the media stuff going on around the game at the end of the day when I take it off it’s still football and he’s got to throw before I get there.”

On how much playing time he will get this next game:

“I don’t know. As a veteran you really don’t want to play a whole lot, but last weekend we were playing the Bills, you play two series and it’s time to come out. Once you get into it you want to play. So however many snaps I get, I want to make them great.”

On how much more comfortable he is here now:

“Every day is another step. I’m not ingrained here yet. We’re still in training camp, so I haven’t had a chance to go anywhere and do anything, but I’m feeling a little more comfortable.”

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/779130.html

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

However, we have great news for you! Our high-powered "Natural Match" supercomputer has determined the best available partner for you currently is Ms. Paula Deen. Please fill out and forward the release forms and we will provide you with the pertinent contact information immediately.

Congratulations and thank you for using the "Natural Match" system!

Posted by: The RI Coupling Committee | August 14, 2008 10:30 AM

MMMMM I'd like to get my Richard wet in between Paula's sloppy, moist biscuits and then have her lick the gravy off.

Posted by: Slippery Richard | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

as always thanks for posting those! One stop shopping baby!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 14, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

You're right about Cartwright; Mix has the break. I'll correct.
Also:

Starting strong safety Reed Doughty sat out 11 on 11s because of stomach problems. "I wasn't feeling too well," Doughty said after the morning session. "I told them (the coaching staff) I could have gone, but they just told me to rest. Just another chance for some of the other guys to get some reps. I'll be back out there" this afternoon.

Posted by: Cindy | August 14, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Around the Horn blowhard and LA Times columnist Bill Plascke eats animal penis, and likes it!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 14, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Richard, that is why Chantilly's mom wont let him come play...

Posted by: Zebra | August 14, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

chris larry micheals

Posted by: coincidence? | August 14, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

wow is that a tired and unfunny joke....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 14, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

So I clicked on the Redskins' section of the site today expecting to see Skins' related headlines but I guess that's too much to ask with Him still breathing.

Posted by: Rick.Felt | August 14, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

beep beep news

Posted by: cindy | August 14, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Out of topic:

Does anyone know if the Redskins are going to do anything to honor Sean "the meast" Taylor during the first home game of the regular season?

Posted by: Da Skins | August 14, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Out of topic:

Posted by: Da Skins | August 14, 2008 11:23 AM

Was wondering the same thing. I would assume we'll be honoring many times over the years.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 14, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse