Casey Bramlet Tearing It Up/Springs Still Excused

Let's take a closer look at how Mr. Bramlet is performing in Zooropa football over in Germany shall we?

Make of this what you will - for every Kurt Warner to come out of NFL Europe, there are countless more QBs over there no one will ever remember - but the kid is getting it done. Thus far he leads the league in pretty much everything you can lead it in, which would bode well in his bid to be the No. 3 QB in Washington.

He's first in TDs - 12

He's first in TD/INT ratio - (12-4)

He's first in rating - 100.5

He's first in yards - 1331

He's first in avg. gain - 8.17

He's completing 61 percent of his passes, which is not all that hot for that league - but has had some strong outings thus far.

He threw 4 TDs May 18

He averaged 20 yards per completion April 28

He threw a 75-yard TD on May 26

I know the Skins value pro experience highly at this position - even if it is just in Europe - and the guy has been with Cincy before and been around since 2004 now. You'd have to think he'd be confident and in-form entering training camp (I am hoping to get him on the phone from Germany, soon, so we can get it straight from the horse's mouth), and will show well. But nothing's certain (other than the fact that if you leave a Twinkie within arm's length of Tank Johnson, he will gobble it up).

-0-

In other news, Shawn Springs is again excused from practice today to tend to a family issue. Again, like I said yesterday, I am not going to go into too much detail here at Shawn's request, and to respect his privacy. As others have mentioned, his wife is indeed pregnant, and Shawn had to tend to something with her and is doing so again today. If/when I get a chance to get him on the phone today, I will update as he feels fit.

Regardless, he is expected to be back here shortly and the team is supporting him fully while he tends to his family.

-0-

Totally random here, but if anyone else is a "Baseball Bunch" junkie like me, check out this webcast:

www.justmyshow.com/baseballbunch

It's a long interview with former cast members - including the Chicken - but some good stuff along the way. (Pete Rose treated the kids on the show like crap - no shocker there, but still sad to hear - while my man Andre "The Hawk" Dawson (one of my favs as a kid) was total class.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 6, 2007; 1:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some Good News, And Some Awful News
Next: Justin Hickman

Comments

Ja-La,

Whatup with some practice updates??? I dont care if its just a minicamp or OTA's or whatever. How is everyone doing? Most importantly, what does J.Camp look like??? Is he connecting w/ Santana? What about B-Lloyd? How does the D look? Come on, I need some news. Its been too long.

Posted by: needssomehype | June 6, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

1st!

Posted by: Big DECK | June 6, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

For Bramlet, how much will competing in another league with a completely different offensive play book from Al Saunders confuse a young quarterback when trying to get back into the NFL. Do you think the game time experience (even in a different system) gives him an advantage over our guys who are here and involved daily with Saunders' plethora of offensive looks?!

Posted by: drbatch | June 6, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love a "1st" wannabe being trumped by someone with an actual Redskin question.

Posted by: drbatch | June 6, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Andre Dawson was one of my favorites too, nice to hear good things about a favorite player.

Posted by: Burl | June 6, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

He's a 3rd stringer at best. Doesn't even really need to know Saunders' system. Just be able to plug him in, in case of emergency and know how to direct an offense at all and not get stage fright.

On another note: Does anyone know of a good place to watch the Skins in NYC (Manhattan)?? I just moved up here and want to sing HTTR with other fans while watching Laron smack Eli upside the head.

Posted by: needssomehype | June 6, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH, 6th, SIXTH,

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

drbatch, I think learning the Saunders' playbook is the least of the worries of the guys competing to be #3. At that spot, you mostly need to be able to imitate the QB from next week's opposing team, carry a clipboard, and watch film. [Unless your name was Kyle Orton, in which case, the sharks smell blood in the water.] The best thing that Bramlett has going for him over Collins, Palmer, and Hollenbach is actual (near) game-speed playing time. The system doesn't matter from there assuming he can run, handoff, and throw.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

jason, i've never seen you pimp a player like that before...

good luck to shawn and his family!

Posted by: dealer | June 6, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think that was Jasno's way of telling us the WashTimes reporter spilled a little too much information about Shawn Springs in his update yesterday.

For all the crap I've stirred up about Spings, his trainer, and his past, I sincerely hope his wife and unborn child are doing well.

Posted by: mugamack | June 6, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

hype man - i've covered a lot of that stuff dude, and we only get to see practice on Thurs, so I can't say much right now while they are still on the field and I am confined to the media room.

it is still June 6, so we've got to keep some perspective here. i'll try to dig something up.

as for Casey, he was here last year at camp, has a graps of things from then and has had conteact with Saunders efore leaving for Europe. he's been in several pro systems and has oodles more experience than Terrapin Sam or Carson Palmer's Baby Brother, so I think he'll be in the driver's seat.

And, yeah, the BoSox are giving me an ulcer. Watching the losses Sun and Mon was like a playoff game, too much intensity for me to take right now. Went to bed early last night. they need a win, June or not. Got to put some wins up here fast.

I am totally irrational when it comes to the Sox (which is why I feel the collective pain of the blog when it comes to your love of the Skins). it's a sickness. I need help.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 6, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, yeah:
So Brunner stays second string, bring on Bramlet for third, say goodbye to Collins...
Would Hollenbach/Palmer go to the practice squad or Europe?

Posted by: Stumped | June 6, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of new QBs learning a system, I read an article in a Detroit paper about how yesterday, draft pick Drew Stanton (go Spartans!) went to ask Mike Martz a question for some guidance. Martz refused to answer and told him to figure it out himself -- that he needed to know the system and that the system would answer his question. (Um ... thanks, coach?)

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

We should get Jasno spell check; he's on the cups of grapsing teh anglash language.

New flash: speed is more important than spelling.

Posted by: Stumped | June 6, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

jason, how can you be a sox fan coming from balmer? sorry i missed it when you exlpained it the last time...

Posted by: dealer | June 6, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Nate, thanks for the link to the Samoan vid, good to see again. Also listed alongside was Brian (the chiropractor) Lima nailing a South African with a beauty of a tackle.

Hope that all is well with Shawn and family soon, family always comes first.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

There might be a slight connection between Al Saunders and the dude coaching up Bramlet, Ron Hudson, QB/WR coach of the Sea Devils.

Hudson was a personnel guy/scout at KC in 05 when Big Al was the offensive coordinator. But this probably has nothing to do with anything, as far as Bramlet goes.

Did you know Al Saunders was born in London, became a naturalized citizen in 1960, and is only one of four foreign-born NFL coaches? So sayeth Wikipedia.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 6, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Nate you have too much damn time on your hands. LMGO!

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

J-La, I'm feeling your pain, on the Sox. They've dropped 5 of the last 6, and the games don't start till 10 at night. Dice pitched a pretty good game last, too bad that the bats went quiet. Wakefield is KILLING me, 1-8 in his last 10 games versus the yanks.
Bring up Lester, right now he's LIGHTS OUT in Pawtucket.
They have another kid down in AA, Clay Bucholz, who scouts say is the real deal as well.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 6, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

jm, you don't know squat

Posted by: Neil | June 6, 2007 01:21 PM

oh, jm knows squat. about 450 lbs x 12 reps worth of squat.

Posted by: jm's squat machine | June 6, 2007 02:12 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Neil, I will just say your idea of high contact is different than mines.

Speaking of legs workout. As you all know Tuesday's are legs day. It is always funny how guys see me doing my leg worout and think that weight is light. Just because I may make it look easy doesn't mean it is. Yesterday I was doing leg ext (the one where you lay on your back) with 9 plates on each side. So, these guys come up after I am finish and ask if I am done. Try to put the same weight on it and damn bust his ba**s. And you know I was just laughing at their dumb ass.

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

jm220, that reminds me -- any signs of Ms. Officer Creepy recently?

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Buchholz is the truth. TIVo-ed him pitching on memorial day on NESN. didnt have his best stuff but still could not be touched by the reading bats. it's still double -1 he has to improve command of fastball (left it too high too often) and think the game a bit more, but he's a stud.

can't wait to see lester back in rotation. i like tavarez as spot starter/long relief.

Wake in a big ballpark like Oakland should be okay tonight ... at least that's what I keep telling myself to get thru the day. take out his two starts vs. the yanks and hes been pretty close to awesome this season.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 6, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Aren't the Red Sox like 10 games up in their division? If they were in the central or west I could see the worry. You guys are worse than Skins fans.

Posted by: skinnyc | June 6, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

needsomehype, skinnyc. skinnyc, needsomehype.

Posted by: dealer | June 6, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

You have no idea what its like to be born/raised as a Sox fan. Its great, but you're on the razors edge most of the year.

J-La, how AWFUL, was Joe Morgan Sunday night announcing the Sox-Yanks? WTF is a "quality strike" as he so eloquently put it? Also, the reason Manny plays shallow in left field, is that there is this WALL behind him. Balls that hit it BOUNCE BACK TO HIM!!

I think Wake will be ok tonight as well. We need to get the bats working again.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 6, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Nope dcsween. And if she shows up tonight because you brought her name up. I am going to come and hunt you down. lol

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

For NYC redskins fans, there is a small tribe of us that gather at the Dive Bar (96 n Amsterdamn ave) to watch the games. Maybe 5-6 people.

Jason, really enjoy your blog, keep up the good work.

Posted by: jonathan | June 6, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

greg, i think what he meant was a quality pitch that was meant to be a strike and was actually called a strike.

Posted by: dealer | June 6, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

new post. go, go jasno, go go go.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Jason, are you a Dirt Dogs reader?

Every considered making this blog more similar to their format (with discussions) or even going to a Sons of Sam Horn format?

Posted by: Unconvinced | June 6, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Nate's other well-known nickname = WikiPDX

Posted by: Otter | June 6, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

JLaC, I know there's a huge difference in speed between the College and Pro game, is there a difference in speed between Europa and the NFL? I know most of the players there are from here, but being as how many are 2nd and 3rd stringers (if not all), does the game from a player's perspective move slower?

Could it come into consideration when you look at his experience?

Posted by: CowboyH8R | June 6, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Jasno you tricked me into getting excited about Bramlet for about 10 seconds. Then I remembered who the head coach of the Redskins is and who the #2 QB is.

I doubt Palmer or Bramlet would ever see the field unless Campbell went down and then Brunel broke his leg or something, but even then it would be iffy. Gibbs still loves Brunel so much he might even line him up under center in a wheelchair with Portis pushing....

Post Game (Loss) Media statement by Gibbs;
" Well we just felt, even with the chair thing in there and everything Mark gave us the best veteran leadership out there on the field". "Throughout the week he and Clinton worked on the handoffs and got that down pretty good then the tougher part..the pushing of the chair on passing downs, so we felt pretty good going into it". "He plays with guts, which..you have to have guts up here, so we are looking at ways to get that chair moving faster for next week."

Posted by: DTC | June 6, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Jo Mrgan is about 5 years past being a useful announcer and the harping on Manny was ridiculous (the idiots who do the saturday afternoon gAme are the worst, though).

defintiely check out dirt dogs and SOSH, but I have nothinbg to do with the format f this thing. That's a decision made way above my head and with way more expertise on this stuff than I have (which is nil on my behalf, I am not a big computer guy).

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 6, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse