The Rabach Link with Baltimore

Redskins center Casey Rabach spent the early part of his career with the Ravens before signing here as a free agent in 2005. Most of his Baltimore teammates from that time are gone, including all of his buddies on the offensive line.

Rabach said the only player in that locker room he still speaks to regularly is linebacker Jarret Johnson, though Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs spoke highly of Rabach during his conference call with the media. Rabach said the fact that he's been gone from Baltimore for so long has lessened the impact of this game on a personal level.

"If this was 2005, it would have been a lot different," Rabach said.

Suggs recalled being a rookie back in 2003 and getting involved in good-natured "rasslin'" matches with the offensive players, Rabach in particular. "We'd have little brawls in the locker room just for fun," Suggs said of the horse play. He remembers Rabach as "one of the strong guys trying to break my arm, because I was a rookie at that time."

Rabach said that for as much as Ravens and Redskins fans might trash talk about this "rivalry," to the players that's not really the case. "I don't really think it is [a rivalry]," Rabach said, since the teams only play every four years. After spending time with both teams, Rabach thinks that the game means more to Baltimore than Washington, given its second-city status.

"I think the Baltimore fans dislike the Redskins franchise a little bit more than vice versa," Rabach said. "When Baltimore lost the Colts, they didn't have a team to root for, and they definitely weren't going to root for Washington ... I don't know if it goes both ways."

(I think both fanbases enjoy it when the other team is suffering, although Baltimore probably does take it to a different level. When the Colts left, the Redskins were kind of forced upon the city by the league from the television and market standpoints and might have something to do with it.)

Rabach has seen a steady diet of some of the best nose tackles in the NFL this season, and he'll get perhaps the best Sunday night when Haloti Ngata lines up across from him. Rabach had some issues against Dallas a few weeks back (a 3-4 team) and also Pittsburgh (a 3-4 team), and Ngata is a unique match-up problem. He's listed at 6-4, 345 pounds, but Rabach thinks he weighs more than that. Ngata is very nimble and well rounded, not just a mammoth run stuffer who is all girth and no go.

"I don't think he's as athletic as some of [the other nose tackles he has faced]," Rabach said, "but I think he's as big and strong as anyone I've faced this year. He's definitely a challenge, no doubt."

That match-up is one of the most vital for the Redskins. The Ravens have a bevy of playmakers coming off the edge, from linebackers Jarret Johnson and Suggs to end Trevor Pryce to safety Ed Reed, and if Ngata collapses the pocket from the inside and handles double-teams, others will likely feast off of that. Given Washington's pass protection problems, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Ravens Coach John Harbaugh said that Rabach's name has been mentioned often in their meetings and he called Rabach one of the best centers in the NFL. "He's kind of the glue that holds that whole thing together. Apparantly he makes a lot of the calls for them in there, and he's a very physical, smart player."

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 3, 2008; 5:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn on Cooley
Next: The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

Comments

wow

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 3, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE EVERYONE ON THIS BLOG !

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 3, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I'M 1,2,3RD

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 3, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

HI JASON

FDAGGARACMJLC !!

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 3, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Man, "the guy on the other side" is gonna be pissed that Zorn didn't know his name.

Way to give the Ravens bulletin board material, Zorn!

(joke)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

" ...Given Washington's pass protection problems, that would be a recipe for disaster. ..."

So for God's love, the Skins MUST deny the Raven's nose tackle the vowel he so desperately craves. With that vowel, he would be UNSTOPPABLE!

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I take the blame for last week's loss.

During the Giants game, I tried drinking...

...nothing...

...obviously it had a disastrous effect!

Posted by: kost52 | December 3, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Springs is listed as questionable?

I'm giving 5 to 1 odds he doesn't play this weekend. Any takers?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 3, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Springs is listed as questionable?

I'm giving 5 to 1 odds he doesn't play this weekend. Any takers?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 3, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm not taking that, Springs never plays when he is listed as questionable.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | December 3, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore definitely takes it to another level. They just can't get over the fact that the Colts left and we were winning SuperBowls when they had no team. They will never get over it. There's no doubt that Jason, being from Baltimore, wants the Ravens to win.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | December 3, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, have no beef with the Ravens (except when we play them). They are an AFC team up the road. My hatred is reserved for the (1) Cowboys and (2) other NFC East teams in that order.

Also, going back to the last post/blog about Zorn and Cooley. I agree with whoever said that Zorn wasn't making sense. I can't believe that Zorn didn't know Cooley could catch...

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn said he'd like to help Rabach as much as possible, because in the past "he's had to take them one-on-one." Zorn said "we're going to try" to help Rabach, but worries "now what do you do with Suggs? What do you do with the guy on the other side? ... Somebody's gonna have to play one-on-one at some time.""

Gee, what do you do in one-on-one situations? Is it too much to ask the guy that you are paying to actually WIN a one-on-one matchup?

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"Those three players did not take part in today's practice, nor did corner Shawn Springs (calf), although Zorn thinks Springs will play."

HA! Zorn must really not know his personnel...

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

This game has 10-7 written all over it. Their D will likely shut down the skins enemic offense and the skins D should confuse their rookie QB (even though he's playing pretty well for a rook)

Posted by: skinswest | December 3, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES as always, brought to you by the ever decreasing number of fine people at Yahoo!

I'm going to take this week to review a couple of my preseason thoughts.

First, get Anquan Boldin. Boldin publicly wanted out of AZ over his contract in the preseason. Many ridiculed my suggestion at the time, others were suggesting we pay a token amount. Plenty of jibba jabba on that one.

The results are in. Boldin is the top possession WR, reliable on short, quick patterns. This is especially useful if you QB has limited time to throw the ball. Boldin leads all WRs in TDs, is 4th in receptions and 7th in yards -- despite missing 2 games. Is Boldin the best WR in football? Maybe. He is certainly in the discussion. While Boldin would have been pricey, he would have taken a huge problem on this team and made it a major strength.

A second thought was to have Portis and Betts divide up games as the feature back. Have Portis carry the load for 3/4 of the games and Betts 1/4. This would preserve Portis. I said Portis was not a 16 game a year RB. By running Betts as a feature back 4 times a year, Betts gets a chance to get into a groove in those 4 games. And Portis gets to play 12 stronger games.

The results are in. Portis went 1/2 a season, then started to get beat up. Whether he makes it to the end of the year is an open issue, but its unlikely he'll be the beast he was earlier. Which is problematic since December is when this team needs him at his best. And Portis is a December style player.

Let me put these two items into context. The Skins in the offseason didn't know whether to try and make a championship run this year or try to rebuild. They went both ways. If they had been 'going for it', they should have gone for Boldin. If they had rebuilding in mind, they should have lost some older starters and not traded for Jason Taylor. Either way, they should have paced Portis. Having an added threat like Boldin would have made it easier to pace Portis.

My opinion has always been that 2008 should have been a 'go for it' year. The team that finished 2007 was a very good team and we returned every starter, then added Jason Taylor. Time will tell, but I have a feeling that 2008 will be looked at as a missed opportunity -- on many levels.

And that is ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES for this week, brought to you by Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

All this stupid fantasy football posting is getting out of hand.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

All this stupid fantasy football posting is getting out of hand.

It's time you put your foot down, Mr. McPoop.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 3, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | December 3, 2008 6:55 PM

His confusion will go like this: "Why don't they rush me? Don't they see me back here holding this ball? I wonder if I should call Mom tonight after the game? Did I call Cheryl this morning to tell her how great Friday night was? They're still not rushing. What are they up to back there? Is that Coach Wilkins from High School in the third row? Maybe I should go ahead and throw now. I wonder what he'll think of my release?"

By the time the dude figures it out, the game will be in the third quarter.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

good strategy, T_E. It shortens the game if he holds the ball for the 1st 30 minutes wondering what to do

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Poopy Rabachs

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | December 3, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I root for the Ravens to do well (they are a local team) and it doesn't do us any good if they are doing poorly because they are in the AFC. It's never been a rivalry and it never will be, there's nothing on the line. But I know there are some Ravens fans that feel differently like Rabach said.

Posted by: trolly_time | December 3, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

It would seem that most of the residents -- and all of the players -- in Balmore seem finely attuned to the perspectives of racial injustice represented by the redskins team name and logo.
Whereas, all we've got is "that purple and black sure is ugly"...

Posted by: daggar | December 3, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Whereas, all we've got is "that purple and black sure is ugly"...

Posted by: daggar | December 3, 2008 9:24 PM
---------------------------------------------
I, for one, will not sit silent while the Ravens and their fans advocate bruises, spouse-beating, and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 3, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

kost, I'm concerned about the no drinking thing on a lot of levels...

Given that you're so far ahead of us time-wise, I reckon you'd better start drinking now to make sure you don't miss kickoff...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't care for these Ravens one tiny bit, but I just can't muster anything on the order of the antipathy I have towards Dallas and the Jints...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

rabach sucks! who gets two holding penalties in a row when your offense scores both times..ever since then he sucks to me! period

Posted by: ripmeast21 | December 3, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I am a diehard skins fan, but my AFC team is the Ravens!

I hope the skins win of course, but I think with how soft the AFC is this year that the Ravens would actually have a better chance of going deep into the playoffs.

I'm tired of all the hate in the NFL, especially in the fanbase. People think they own something over you if their team is better or winning. Whatever happened to the term, "good sportsmanship?"

I was at the Seattle game on Sunday, and even there people were trying to put me down because I was wearing a Portis jersey. It's just like, "Shutup dude, no one cares, I am here to get drunk anyways."

The fact that decent people find it unsafe to take their kid to an NFL game is sad and it shows that the average American is a crumbum. I am all for going crazy and having a good time, but when you go to an away game and a home team fan makes fun of me for Sean Taylor being murdered...there is something wrong there.

Peace

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | December 3, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Brian, you almost had me buying what you were selling, then:

"BTW, if you think Jason Cambpell is the problem with the skins O, u are a bonified moron!"

Hail to the average Americans!

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Bonifier? I hardly knew her!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's unsafe because there are people at the games who are just there to get drunk. (In one of the most fiscally irresponsible ways possible, no less.)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 4, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd be a drinker if it wasn't so damn expensive.

Washington D.C. is still a drinking town with a football problem - although it seems to be getting better - perhaps Balmer is a football town with a drinking problem.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 4, 2008 5:31 AM | Report abuse

Brian,

What the hell is a crumbum?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 4, 2008 5:53 AM | Report abuse

What the hell is a crumbum?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 4, 2008 5:53 AM | Report abuse

I think he's the Hamburgler's cousin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 4, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I was just looking at the Start 'Em/Sit 'Em column on NFL.com and they're pretty much saying to sit ALL the Redskins. We can't get shut out...can we?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 4, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Rabach is one of the best centers in football? As I recall, he has scored negative two touchdowns.

I still think we should draft either Duke Robinson or Alex Mack or Max Unger (the latter 2 replacing Rabach or Randy Thomas).

Posted by: TDawg1 | December 4, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Here are the teams that the Ravens beat.

Bengals
Browns
Dolphins (early in the year)
Raiders
Texans
Eagles

Not top teams. I for one don't believe they are any better than we are. We will win.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 4, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

JM220,

I was saying that yesterday, they beat the Dolphins in the first game and even Redcoat who is a Dolphins fan said they were terrible in that game.

They have feasted on an easy schedule, they lost to all the good teams they played.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 4, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

No doubt Flounder21.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 4, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Well i'll just come on out and say it.......

The ravens suck!!!!!!...and i look forward to hearing all of the excusses from the baltimorons after the game..

Posted by: jumbo5383 | December 4, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I'll buy that Flounder. I think we have a good chance against these guys anyway, but your reasoning gives me some more confidence.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 4, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

We can be Balmer this weekend but someone on offense has to step up. They have the personel to contain our 3 weapons on offense and they can get to the QB. Devin, Malcolm or Randle el have to make plays.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 4, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Anyone following the 'behind' the scenes stuff with the Plax shooting? From what I heard this morning, Plax called the team MOMENTS after it happened. The Team Dr. arranged for a Dr. to meet them at the hospital, and the team tried to keep the whole thing hush-hush.

If Goodell doesn't rip a draft pick OR TWO for that matter away from them, he's got no stones.

Bloomberg is claiming that the Giants NEVER called the NYPD, that the NYPD found out about the shooting via the TV/Radio.

Furthermore, if Pierce doesn't get pinched either by the NFL, or by the NYPD, then I'm calling bullcrap.....he WILLINGLY took the weapon used in a felony and tried to hide it. Are you FRIGGIN KIDDING ME????

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the "if we re-signed Pierce he wouldn't be in trouble" posts to come in...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 4, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

We can beat Balmer this weekend but someone on offense has to step up. They have the personel to contain our 3 weapons on offense and they can get to the QB. Devin, Malcolm or Randle el have to make plays.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 4, 2008 8:03 AM

Step up? Is that what Norv used to refer to as "big plays" in his postgame pressers? Or what Zorn refers to as "execution" in his postgame pressers?

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

brown, lol, wait for it.....wait for it......Just read the NY Post, and apparently Pierce is gonna snitch on Plax in exchange for immunity.

How is that gonna go over in the locker room.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

B, Pierce was the one that called the team trainer right after Burress shot himself. The team trainer told him where to take Burress

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 4, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Embattled Giant Plaxico Burress' teammate Antonio Pierce will play ball - with prosecutors. The linebacker will cooperate and testify before a Manhattan grand jury about how Burress clumsily shot himself in the leg at a nightclub, The Post has learned. Pierce's testimony should guarantee an indictment against Super Bowl hero Burress for felony weapon possession - but at the same time, give Pierce a pass on charges of hiding the wide receiver's .40-caliber Glock pistol after the shooting.

New York Post

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 4, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

It's what etrod refers to as "not suck" on the RI blog.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 4, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse