Cast Your Vote on the OL Struggles

Ishita Singh, one of our stellar summer interns, has been helping with camp coverage and talked recently to rookie offensive lineman Edwin Williams.

Rookie Edwin Williams wants to be like Casey Rabach. The University of Maryland graduate -- Williams was a three-year starter at center for the Terps -- admires the Redskins' starting center for his ability to see the field and know his role within the offense backwards and forwards.

"Casey Rabach, that dude -- he comes out there and he gets the job done," Williams said. "He's confident, he's smart. He knows exactly what he's doing on each play. He probably knows what everybody on the offensive line is doing on each play."

Williams admits that he has a ways to go before he can challenge Rabach. The Washington native considered himself a "good 50" right now, if he were rated on a 100-point scale. His biggest challenge has been adjusting from the Maryland style of play to the Redskins' style. He described himself as a "tip-toer" at Maryland, because he made most of his plays on his toes. But the Washington coaches emphasize a "heels to the ground" playing style, which is something Williams said he needs to work on. He also said that the punching techniques of each team were different.

"In college, actually we did a lot of different things offensively. I was just taught get your hands on quick, but they kind of have a lift technique, so it's a lot different. The lingo is different. I never used my hips [in college], and that's one thing they use a lot."

But Williams has help. Many of the blocking schemes the Redskins employ are similar to ones he used at Maryland. And his old Terrapin linemate, Stephon Heyer, is a tackle for the Skins, and has guided Williams on plays that he is unfamiliar with.

"He's helped me out as far as the plays go," Williams said of Heyer. "He helped me a lot as far as what to do, what not to do, how to maximize your game."

Although he is an undrafted free agent, Williams is one of only two rookies trying out for an offensive line that had problems last season (the other is another former Terrapin teammate of Williams, tackle Scott Burley). As such, Williams thinks he has a good shot at making the team. He even has a motto to get him through the rest of camp.

"I know I've still got a couple holes missing in my philosophy, but I'll get back in that playbook, get everything going, keep it moving and hopefully things will work out," Williams said. "Be positive, that's all you can do."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 4, 2009; 8:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Today Be Better for Offensive Line?
Next: Heyer Gingerly Leaves the Field (Updated)

Comments

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Who designed this poll where all the responses are a variant on "A-OK"? Where's the "Another typical Cnyder/Serrato disaster" option?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I like local boys playing on the team, if they are any good that is a bonus. VinDan has to start using some higher picks on this line though.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

PFT reporting that AH will have amputative surgery on both legs, and that the jokes on Snyder, as Dana Stubblefield is going to perform the surgery, laughing the entire time, while he and AH, roll around in Snyders money......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

you gotta love the Snyderatto logic:
one of league's worst o-lines last year ---> get two undrafted free agents
one of league's best d's last year ---> use 1st rounder and spend over 100M on top free agent

Posted by: pgugino | August 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Greg, they really reporting it? Any report on a report sans URL is shady.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Also, is a "Synvisc injection" football code for "I've just been added to the overpaid-by-Snyder list, so no I'm not really hurt... I'm just too rich to play now." ??

Posted by: pgugino | August 4, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 4, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

get two undrafted free agents

Derrick Dockery called, he said you're an idiot.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm smashing the big red shiny candylike button!!

By shoring up an already standout D, they've sacrificed the only areas that could yield points and thereby fix the problem of the last [place preferred number here] seasons: O Line & Kicker.

Better field position won't matter if you can't get any points. What was our Red Zone % last year?

Of course, IF the patchwork line and IF the sophomore class are able to produce - I'm just wrong. And if Zorn learns from his bad decisions last year we could still win...

So I'm still 10-6 either way - but I would much rather be feeing as confident as Joey T.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

A couple of early tweets:

@RickMaese Zorn on ground, demonstrating for QBs how to recover fumble. Bad sign? Does this mean they're planning on doing lots of fumbling this year

@JReidPost Watching Albert Haynesworth run while participating in defensive line drills. His knee seems to be holding up at the moment.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 4, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

get two undrafted free agents

Derrick Dockery called, he said you're an idiot.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 8:50 AM

Bridges and Williams didn't understand what you were talking about, either

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

al, no they're not reporting it, I was just lumping myself in with the, "sky is falling" group up here, who think that suddenly AH is a waste, and wont amount to anything....I think its funny how when the season rolls around you find more trolls who want to come up here, and run their mouths...I mean, has anyone here gone on to another teams blog, and shot their mouths off.....how shallow/unintelligent do you have to be to do/justify that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 4, 2009 8:52 AM

Thank God the negativity is back.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Beaner - but it's not like we don't have some comparisons:

ahemJasonTaylorcough

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 4, 2009 8:52 AM

Thank God the negativity is back.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse "

Jeez TE I thought if anyone could appreciate an off the cuff and unfunny joke it would be you!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Pretty magnanimous report: Knee holding up for the moment.

I guess Roydell's busted pinky requiring surgery is no big deal and won't affect the WR corps.

Criminey.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 4, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

ds, like I said earlier, call me when AH can't play on Sunday's during the season.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 8:53 AM

Wait, you're saying this isn't cool? Uh, I've never done it, personally, but I know someone who has and I thought it was kind of cool of him. He got bonus points. Does that make it a little bit cool?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Here's the problem ~ a good defense versus a good offense will be a stalemate. So when we hear that the defense is lighting the offense up, it's a sign that we have a good defense and a bad offense. Gee, like that's news. The problem is, has always been, and will always be, Jason Campbell. He has zero chance of ever becoming an elite QB, middle-of-the-road is all he has to offer. The NFL is a *fast* game, and Campbell just doesn't see the field fast enough. Never has, never will. All the talk of how he has improved over the years and all we get from him is more-of-the-same. Forget the Super Bowl, fellow Skins fans. Jason Campbell will never get us there, he's just plain not good enough.

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Funny enough I cannot find that exact statistic.

I did find out that our kicker was 0-0 from the 1-19 yard line. And kicked more FG's from passed the 40 then from under the 40.

Shaun Suisham's stats from distance
1-19(0-0),20-29(7-7), 30-39 (9-7), 40-49 (16-11), 50+ (4-1)

Useless to talk red zone stats when we mostly are playing in middle of the field.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Looks like MistaMoe got the better end of playing doctor this morning...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 4, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mike, if he does end up seeing the field fast enough at some point, will you be up here admitting your erroneous prediction?

I have no problem w/ you pointing out what has been - but flatly stating your prediction of the future just makes you sound curmudgeonly.

yeah. I said it... curmudgeonly!

nyaaaa, fie!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Okay. I was way wrong and you are way right. And Florio, not you, should be telling me what to do with my "mild concerns."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 7:54 AM |

Geezus. You haven't been following the helpful advice chrislarry gave you a few days ago:

TE you should enact a 60 seconds rule where you type, wait, reread and then reconsider. I actually did it earlier today and in hindsight am glad I didn't posy my immediate comment.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 2, 2009 10:18 PM |

If you had followed his advice you would not have made that stupid post. I think you have now edged ahead of MistaMoe in the "Brain not engaged before posting" derby. Congrats.

Posted by: EncinoMan | August 4, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 9:00 AM

I always enjoy your posts, CL, if that's what you're getting at.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

A tweet from cbssports.

August 4 9:03 ET

WR Devin Thomas is in the trainer's tent stretching out his leg. An update on his status will come after the morning practice.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Bonus Points = Cool
Ask Greg

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 4, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 8:53 AM

Now Greg, to be fair, I said AH is a waste and won't amount to anything BEFORE the whole knee injection thing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious? The Skins haven't had an O line since Jacoby retired..

Posted by: SMWE357 | August 4, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Not such a curmedgeon, DikShuttle, but a realist, call 'em like I see 'em. And here's even worse news. All the talk of the 4th-ranked D last season is overblown. The rankings are based on yardage allowed, but our O was so bad last season, and our punting so poor, that other teams usually had good field position and didn't have far to travel! That skews the yardage-allowed figure way down, enough to move maybe a top 15 D to #4. Sorry, it's just the truth. How vividly I recall our D needing stops late in games last season and not getting them. Fortunately with AH and BO the D seems poised to become true #4-caliber, regardless what the O and punting games do. But you still need O points to win, particularly in the NFC East.

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I have the entire run of the TV show "Emergency" on Betamax, and one episode deals with "Synvisc injection".

If anyone wants to come over and watch it let me know.

Posted by: isnadd | August 4, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Info on Chad Rinehart

Chad Rinehart earns some impressed comments from his linemates for his work vs Daniels in 1-on-1s.less than a minute ago from TwitterFon

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

dana stubblefield was signed by JKC and charley casserly, snyder has had a boat load of dubious free agent signings but stubblefield was not one

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 4, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

thought it'd be nice to mix it up amidst the rancor, discord ("can't we all just get along?") and doomsday posts (i.e., Albert's a cripple, our O-line sux, et al).

What celebs do you know that are Skins fans? I like to learn this stuff because it makes me know who to pull for in Hollywood, sports, etc. For example, I've always like Matt McCaunaghey but after meeting him at J Paul's in G'town during the 2000 NFL draft and learning he's a huge Skins fan, he was at the top of my list (even though he's made some brutal movies lately). And I was never a huge Dale Jr. fan until seeing him at the Skins-Packers game in Green Bay a couple yrs ago and learning he was a big fan. I'm not a big NASCAR guy but he and Denny Hamlin - also big Skins fan - are my favorite drivers now.

Feel free to add to the list.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

AH was always a high risk(attitude/knees/# of snaps) & reward (absolute beast/improves those around him/severe position of need)proposition. So far he is as advertised (save BA)in both. Thats how its going to be his whole time in DC.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Mich,
I think your off base man, the D put up sixth best in points allowed, which is probably the stat that matters most, with 18.5 ppg. All 5 teams better then them made the playoffs.

They were 8th in yards per play, 5th in first downs per play, 7th in 3rd down %, 5th in penalties, 5th in time on the field, the only statistical areas the D is bad in was turnovers and 4th down %, both near the bottom of the league.

An unless you can provide some tangible proof, find me the stat, of where our O and D were starting on the field I don't buy your story that the D was working a short field each drive. If that were the case then the would not have allowed only 18-19 ppg.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

This is classic (from an SI interview). Long live Wooderson!!

SI: How does a kid from Texas become a Washington Redskins fan?

McConaughey: I'll tell you how. I grew up in Texas. Born in Uvalde and raised in Longview, which is two hours east of Dallas. So when you are six years old why do you start liking a team? Well, when your favorite food is hamburger and they have a linebacker, No. 55, named Chris Hanberger. And then you find yourself up late watching Westerns and rooting for the Indians instead of the Cowboys. So you become a Redskin fan. Then you have people like John Riggins who becomes your favorite running back. Everybody in town loved Tony Dorsett, so you have to stand up for Riggins. I was at the last game at RFK, the first game at Fed Ex and the first game at Jack Kent Cooke.
[IMG]

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Mikey, until the wheels fell off (of the O Line) we were sending players to the pro-bowl. top QB & RB positions.

I don't actually have a problem w/ your analysis. And I can grant you reason for your position. But there is evidence for the development and progress of JC17.

I know it's hard to have confidence in a team that has perrenniallyy dissappoinnttedd(scotchy scotch scotch. I like scotch). But buck up, man.

Kudos on the analysis. Hope you're wrong on the prognostication.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm not buying this. The D is always up to speed sooner that the O. There is much more coordination required of the O.

And we have improved our D line in 2 of the 4 spots. PDan is an improvement over DEvans(remember, PDan was the starter over DE until he was hurt.) And AHaynse is said to be the best DT in the league. So we should have a beast of a Dline this year if injuries don't bite us.

As far as can JC get us to the SB, yes he can. He may not carry us there, but he is as good as many SB-winning QB's. And he has continued to improve each year. So if he can continue his improvements, we will be fine there.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 4, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

This is interesting

August 4 9:39 ET

Free agent rookie TE Robert Agnone from Delaware has to be impressing coaches. The fourth TE on the depth chart is starting to see time in certain packages with the second offense.

Also the o-line is doing better today relatively speaking. While Orakpo did beat Samuels on an inside move, and Jarmon beat Ruben Riley 3 times in a row, the Ol has had it share of wins as well.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Solid rebuttal, alex35332, and THANKS! Maybe there's a rainbow in there somewhere. On the other hand, add 30 yards/game (say to account for field position differential) and you have the #12 D. Add 35 yards/game and now you're middle-of-the-pack. The 18.5 points was strong though, no argument there. As to 16.6 for the O, which ranked 28th, can you say abysmal? Can you say forshame Jason Cambpell? Can you say Colt couldn't do any worse?

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Why don't you guys run a poll on what kind of coverage fans would like to read for their team?

The kind that obsesses over every single possible negative, rehashes the same positional critiques over and over, and generally fails to inspire any feelings of enthusiasm whatsoever?

Or the kind that takes a measured, thoughful approach, realizing that training camp is a marathon, not a sprint, and doesn't recklessly leap to premature conclusions based on a handful of practices?

I'll take #2.

Posted by: McMetal | August 4, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Text I just received from my little Bro who has been to every second of open training camp and is there this AM... and is always a "stay positive type"

"O Sucks"

He did report that AH/'Po and the defense is insane. He also seems to think Marko Mitchell is the next A. Boldin. To his credit his quote to me this time last year was "Chris Horton is for real".....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Okay DikShuttle, I can wait for it all to play out if you can. But wait ~ permit me one more sinewy thought ~ don't get me started on how overrated CP is! He's 3 yards and a cloud of dust anywhere on the field, except near the goal line, where it's 0 yards or -1 in 3 tries! Been there, done that, agonized over it!

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

# Finally, Campbell evades, resets, flicks it 60 yards in the air and sees it CAUGHT by Randle El. less than 20 seconds ago from TwitterFon
#
Smoot with the INT. Crowd: Smoooooooooot 4 minutes ago from TwitterFon
#
Orakpo just blew past Samuels in 11-on-11s 6 minutes ago from TwitterFon

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

cl, thanks for the update.....good stuff

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Beaner - but it's not like we don't have some comparisons:

ahemJasonTaylorcough

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse
================================

So right there!! I mean half the folks posting hear last year were predicting a calf injury that would turn into compartmental syndrome!! We all saw it coming!!
Your entire left side DE position gets wrecked in the first day of training camp and they went and panicked by getting a perennial pro bowler!!! What idiots! They should have waited to see what undrafted FA were cut by other teams first!! They missed some gems there I'm sure!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

How do you lay responsibility for the lack of O production squarely on JC17?!?

No protection, disappearing running game, bonehead coarching. There's plenty of blame to go around.

When things were going well, JC was productive in his framework. I'm not calling him the second coming of Slingin' Sammy, but your proclimation is just off. If he tanks this season, he's gone anyway. But to expect anything of any QB w/ this O is a stretch. If everyone is healthy and playing to their potential, it all goes swimmingly - if not, they're back at .500. That's realism.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

My Brother and I spoke about this yesterday. Problem with your view: The defense had MANY 3 and outs thru 3 1/2 qtrs last year. The offense not moving the ball the short field and the D spending as much time on the field as the refs is attributed to the late game fatigue and break down. As for turnovers? When a team has a stifling D and the O never scores, the other team has no motivation to take risk. Think Pittsburgh Monday Night Last year. Skins get the ball THREE times in the 1st qtr. on Pitt side of the field TWICE inside the 35. 6 pts. They get up 17-0 and Pitt has to take more chances and give the D opps to get more turnovers. Instead game is one possession and Pitt can keep game plan.

Posted by: Club320 | August 4, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"All the talk of the 4th-ranked D last season is overblown. The rankings are based on yardage allowed,"

Posted by: michaelstarr

True. But what's not based on yardage allowed is the fact that Redskins defense was the only defense in the league to go 16 straight weeks without allowing over 24 points.

And that has nothing to do with yardage.

In fact, the Redskins defense was underblown, considering your apparent assertion that the opposition was always put in great field position multiple times a game.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how someone could formulate in their mind the conclusion that a defense is actually helped out by their offense continually putting them in bad spots.

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse
===================================

You might have had some credibility had you made this statement when the Skins were 6-2 last year and some were calling Campbell an MVP candidate!! Now, however, you are simply a troll!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Right - the leading rusher through 6 games behind THAT line is overrated. Ok.

Sorry - I give CP more credit than most here, so wrong tree to bark up there.

Put him in Minnehaha and he's setting records. That's my .02 on that.

And your 'objective realism' has just given way to panicked fear in that last statement. I feel you. I'm that way about the O Line - just not 'Crisco' uh, CP.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

no offense to your baby bro but this makes me laugh. i hope he's right but huh??! Mitchell is tall, lanky, Boldin is a thick beast. Marko didn't show me much, but I only went to one practice. Hope he's right but I don't see the comparison.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"How do you lay responsibility for the lack of O production squarely on JC17?!?"

By failing to provide an actual analysis?

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Well I can't disagree on the abysmal nature of a 16 ppg average.

I just cant put all the failures on the offenses on just Jason Campbell. Does he deserve some fault for not taking a few more risks, sure. But I have to give him some credit for managing the games. He was very much a square peg in a round hole last season. Zorn kept on trying to stop playing shotgun, which was where Campbell looked strongest IMHO.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Celeb Skins fans, continued:

I always liked that Darrell Armstrong

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Not LMG...to be fair to my bro, I said the Boldin part...just picking a young dominant WR, so thats on me...my point is that he has been pimping Mitchell since mini-camp. I am suspect as well, but the little F'er was right about Horton so....

And hey, I hope he is right!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The comment on JC is inaccurate michaelstar, IMO. Regardless, he doesn't need to be elite. With our defense, he needs to be above avg. Which he can easily do if our O-line holds up its end of the bargain. Tell me a game that JC lost for us last year? He went as did the O-line and CP...when they broke down, so did he, as would Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees if their O-line and franchise player faltered

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

From Tanner Cooley via facebook

(I am king of the brother reporting today...)

"O-line looking better today but still not great"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Anyone seen this pic of DThomas. Dudes ripped so much its sick.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I do too, Chrislarry, I really hope he is right...I was just sayin he didn't impress me on Sat, but your bro's seen much more of him than my one camp appearance. I was mostly just perplexed at the Boldin comparison at 1st.

wouldn't it be ironic if this undrafter guy ended up being our young stud WR? more reason I would almost always take linemen on Day One and skill players Day Two.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Improvement is heartening, cL! thx

And wow, Al - I really did not need to see that. lmao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me I'm not the only one with no faith in JC, some much more learned than I. For example the offensive boy-genius in Denver didn't want him either, took Orton in trade instead, if that doesn't make the point then nothing does. Otherwise Jay Cutler would be here and the tweets might be very different coming out of camp.. Instead we're getting deja-vu.

Posted by: michaelstarr | August 4, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious? The Skins haven't had an O line since Jacoby retired..

Posted by: SMWE357 | August 4, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse
===================================

Surely you jest!! But you are probably one of those who constantly praises the Steelers offense!!! Oh wait, the Skins actually have higher ranked offenses than the Steelers 3 of the past 4 years. How can that be?? They won the Super Bowl right?? Oh, do you think defense wins championships???
Write this down folks since I just came up with it, Defense wins Championships!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

p.s. just check Marko's combine numbers - dude ran a 4.49...Maclin, who's 4 inches shorter (and picked 6 rds earleir) ran a 4.48. 6' 4", sub 4.5...guy's definitely got raw talent

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"For example the offensive boy-genius in Denver didn't want him either"

Who, Jay Cutler? But I thought Jay Cutler was the style QB you wanted.

Posted by: psps23 | August 4, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Anyone seen this pic of DThomas. Dudes ripped so much its sick.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 10:12 AM

Dude, there's a hot (yet crazy looking) piece of FEMALE ass in the middle of that pic and you're looking at Devin's guns? Something's wrong with you, my friend...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"p.s. just check Marko's combine numbers - dude ran a 4.49..."

true, but most observers noted his speed was of the straight-line variety. He seemed very comfortable catching the ball over a shoulder and less comfortable cutting towards it. Maclin's the opposite type, elusive and quick.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I think what worries me the most about an inconsistent offensive line is Zorn's resistance to adapting his playbook. Gibbs was smart enough to know the offensive playbook doesn't win games as much as the people that execute those plays. If you have a guy who cannot execute the play, you better find a guy who can execute it, or barring that, a play the guy can execute. Zorn has a lot of weapons at his disposal. If he is smart, he can mask the weakness at right tackle by emphasizing some of those other strengths. My worry is, he buys too much into the West Coast Offense playbook and never deviates too far from it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

August 4 10:16 ET

The hitting has started and so have the injuries. C Casey Rabach is on the sidelines having his leg examined

August 4 10:19 ET

OL Stephon Heyer is on the sidelines with an ice pack on his left knee. Updates on all injuries will come after practice when Redskins coach Jim Zorn addresses the media.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

If the crazy chick is gonna be blocking up field for Portis, then I will care.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

If the crazy chick is gonna be blocking up field for Portis, then I will care.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the updates guys....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That was the problem in the 2nd half last year, imo, RSH. sho u rite.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

lmao Al. I'd buy THAT for a dollar!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I like Campbell but the verdict is still out on him. But forgive me if michaelstarr, Dan Snyder/Vinny Cerrato and Josh McDaniels opinions don't sway my decision to think he is terrible.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 4, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

$100 Million would have been better spent on developing young Linemen.

Posted by: jercha | August 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"Here's the problem ~ a good defense versus a good offense will be a stalemate."

Only rarely. A defense that can't pressure the QB is at a disadvantage against a good passing team, regardless of how well they rate in other respects. An offense that can run the ball and control the clock will have an advantage against a defense that excels in producing turnovers through INTs. Real stalemates occur when teams match up against one another very equally on both sides of the ball.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'D BE HAPPY IF THEY ALL SAT DOWN FOR THE WHOLE PRESEASON. INJURIES AT THIS JUNCTURE ARE HEARTBREAKING...

Posted by: ElYeah | August 4, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

reskindhead: "I think what worries me the most about an inconsistent offensive line is Zorn's resistance to adapting his playbook."

He sure adapted it last season. In fact, once he realized the team's strengths and weaknesses, he basically abandoned it for a run-oriented, Gibbs-style offense. That's why I keep saying we haven't seen the Zorn offense yet.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

If the crazy chick is gonna be blocking up field for Portis, then I will care.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2009 10:27 AM

If Devin is indeed blocking up field for Portis instead of holding or offensive pass interfering, then I'll join you.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

You can't win consistently in the NFL without a solid O line. Snyder may worship Gibbs and the glory days, but he must have forgotten the fact that back then we had the Hogs to protect the QB and open holes for Riggo. Get ready for another 8-8 season.

Posted by: jmiller13 | August 4, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

$100 Million would have been better spent on developing young Linemen.

Posted by: jercha | August 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse
==================================

I gather you are talking about offensive linemen?? Would you care to name a few that the Skins should have been developing that they failed to sign??
Or is this just the generic stupid statement?

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

go with generic/stupid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"O Sucks"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 9:51 AM

"O Sucks"?! Clearly your little bro has an axe to grind against the front office, and obviously has no sources.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 4, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Here ya go 4-12, don't be a tard!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 4, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

lol @ 4-12

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Money! [smiley face internets thingy]

Posted by: 4-12 | August 4, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"He also seems to think Marko Mitchell is the next______________."

Fill in the blank:

a. fifth receiver
b. unpolished gem
c. guy to make the roster with Edwin Williams
d. special teams demon, though
e. all of the above

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 4, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Or is this just the generic stupid statement?

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 10:44 AM

Well, to be honest I would have made a run at Jason Brown...considering we play Dallas twice every year and the AFC West this year (where 3 out of 4 teams play a 3-4), you've got to admit having a big center who excells against 3-4 nose tackles would be huge. But we don't need to rehash that argument...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Day whatever.....

.......and Mike Vick isn't on an NFL roster.

Is it too early to say, we told ya so?

Probably

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 4, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

brown, how many yards did portis run for against dallas last year??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmiller13 | August 4, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse
===================================

Oh, so you are talking about the famous offensive line made up from (2) free agents, (1) third round draft choice, (1) first round draft choice and (1) 11th round draft choice??
Let's see, the Skins currently have (1) free agent, (2) third rounders, (1) first rounder and (1) second rounder!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Today's listening assignment:

The Noisettes

Not their new trendy stuff, which is good, but pop...

stuff off of What's the Time Mr. Wolf?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

that's what you call hot? u need to get out more, hometown. "That's not your mom, that's a MAN, baby!!"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I say "c", maybe "a", reserving right to add "b"...way to take a stand huh?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 11:09 AM

By 'hot', I meant diseased and skanky. Better?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"p.s. just check Marko's combine numbers - dude ran a 4.49..."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I hear you Samson. Didn't mean to infer that they were comparable types of WR's. Just saying, guy's clearly got some raw talent and was a good value pick in the 7th round. But 4th/5th WR is the least of our problems right now

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 4, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

brown, 32 carries 153 for betts/portis in the first game, 4.78 ypc

16 for 90 for campbell/Portis in the second, 5.625 per carry.

Not to shabby, not to mention that the pukes lost CCanty/ZThomas, and someone help me out here, but didn't they lose Ferguson too, or am I mistaken

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Go Dirtbags. I am embracing the fact that the line is a motley crue of aging vets, cast off free agents, undrafted youngsters, and Rinehart.

Bugel is B.A. and we can win with this line. You can't get someone of Samuels' caliber unless you're willing to release Samuels, and he's not done yet.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 4, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

there was a vote regarding Portis recently and it was like:

a - he'll break all his own records
b - he won't be as good as last seeze
c - he'll be terrible
d - he'll be arrested for beating up girl scouts and grandmothers

he'll be about just as good as last year - was not an option

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 4, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Weirdest thing about that interview was that it could not be completed because the intern was tackled for a loss.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | August 4, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the line will be better than last year, I think campbell will be better than last year, I think zorn will be also and the skins will make the playoffs and lose in the NFC Championship, Campbell will not be resigned and CB will take over as QB unless Snyder makes a splash in free agency.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 4, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse