Catching Up with the Eagles

Once again, a wacky week made it tough to pay a lot of attention to the upcoming oponent. Needless to say, the Philadelphia Eagles have improved quite a bit from the last time the Redskins saw them. Back then, running back Brian Westbrook wasn't close to being healthy and was barely playing, quarterback Don3van McNabb was nursing a sternum injury, wide receiver Kevin Curtis was out, and the offensive line was hurting. They hit bottom last month in Baltimore when McNabb was benched at halftime, but since then it's been lights out.

The Eagles overcame a brutal tie with Cincy (not quite as bad as a 20-13 loss, mind you) and a beating by the Ravens to pull up from the bottom of the NFC East and back into playoff contention. The Eagles whacked two division winners - Arizona and the Giants - by a collective score of 68-34 before stomping Cleveland, 30-10.

(Of course, you can also vote here, if you're so inclined.)

McNabb, obviously spurred by the benching and having the look of someone who is strutting his stuff for the rest of the league should his oft-rumored divorce with the Eagles take place, is playing as well as any passer in the game. All Westbrook's done the past three weeks is accrue 400 combined rushing and receiving yards and six combined touchdowns. The Skins always have trouble with him, and with Washington struggling to defend screen passes in recent weeks and very vulnerable at outside linebacker, the DeMatha grad might have a field day at FedEx Sunday.

On defense, the Eagles never change; they were born to blitz. With both of Washington's starting tackles out, I'd make Clinton Portis earn his money again and hand him the ball 25 times or more. If he comes up short of 80 yards against a tough defense, so be it. But the Redskins should do whatever they can to keep Jason Campbell from being battered as he was by Baltimore, Dallas and the Giants recently. They've got to find a way to rebuild his confidence a bit and give him time to operate. They must try to salvage something out of the end of the season.

The Eagles have all the incentive in the world. It's just not a good match-up for the Skins right now (besides Detroit, who really would be?) and Philly is clicking. I don't think the Skins will roll over, and, while they'd certainly enjoy derailing the season of a division opponent, they don't have the horses to run with this club. Unless McNabb suddenly becomes turnover-prone, the Skins' run of poor results at home might just continue.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 19, 2008; 8:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor: One and Done in D.C.?
Next: Unrestricted Forecasts

Comments

I'm hoping for the best, but i got a funny feeling the eagles are catching us the right time.

With the admission that Zorn is pretty much running the same plays every week, we know we can't score more than 10-13 points in this game.

The defense will get tired of having to be on the field all the time (because of all the 3 and outs), and eventually by the third quarter some big plays will start happening and the rout will be on.

Predictifying 31-13 here.

Sorry to sound so down, but I don't see anything to get excited about in this offense. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 19, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if there is some animosity between Vinny and Zorn over the playing time of the rookie receivers.

I think Vinny would want them on the field, and is probably pissed that they have gotten very little playing time, and when they do play they do not get the ball thrown to them.

I'm not saying Vinny should feel this way but I bet he does, this could be another issue in wether Zorn stays or goes.

Vinny could have helped his cause here by getting rid of Thrash, then Zorn would have had little choice of who to play as the 3rd WR.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | December 19, 2008; 8:03 AM ET

I hate this remark...I'm pretty sure Detroit could take the Skins in a rematch right now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 19, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that been wack is you going back two-three years back and talk about draft and free agents. And let's not forget the cap and of course Jason Taylor and how right you was when he was first picked up.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 19, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | December 19, 2008 8:19 AM

No apologies necessary...the Skins are the ones that owe ticket holders an apology. That offense is putrid and the only way they'll win another game is if the defense pitches a shut-out. And with Philly and a Martz offense left on the schedule, that ain't happening.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 19, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

Agreed the players have basically quit, some of the comments from the players the last few days are ridiculous.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

jm, agreed, what was so wacky about this week? The Portis blow up was last week, I guess I missed what happened this week??

Flound, Hixon needs to go. If he hasn't sat any of these guys down for some classroom time to get them straight on this offense, then he's not doing his job.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Remember when we used to have a home field advantage? Right now, we probably have the biggest home field DISadvantage in the world.

Before this week, I never would have sold my tix to an Eagles fan, but right now, I pretty much don't care.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Sammy Baugh passing away was out of the ordinary but not much else.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Predator,

Is that funny feeling we lost to Cincy last week and we are missing our two starting tackles?

Hillary had a funny feeling Bill was cheating on her when it was all over CSPAN...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 19, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

5. Antoine Caldwell Alabama 6-3 292 5.10
6. Edwin Williams Maryland 6-3 315 5.40
7. Jon Cooper Oklahoma 6-3 290 5.15
8. A.Q. Shipley Penn St. 6-1 297 5.30
9. Brett Helms L.S.U. 6-2 283 4.90
10. Alex Fletcher Stanford 6-3 298 5.30

3 of these guys should be on the Skins after the draft.

One from each would be fine with me.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Not really a wacky week. Most of the players were healthy enough to practice. No rumors of players/coaches being fired. No players calling out coaches...

I have no idea what JLC is talking about, other than Blache tearing him a new one in that interview yesterday.

Posted by: swowra | December 19, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Hixon needing to be fired. Maybe they should bring in a former WC receiver to coach these guys up.
What about Jerry Rice?
Whats John Taylor doing these days?
Sterling Sharpe?

Posted by: Predator48 | December 19, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Top 10 OLB
1. Aaron Curry Wake Forest 6-3 247 4.60
2. Clint Sintim Virginia 6-3 254 4.70
3. Brian Cushing USC 6-3 255 4.75
4. Marcus Freeman Ohio St. 6-1 239 4.60
5. Clay Matthews USC 6-3 240 4.75
6. Jonathan Casillas Wisconsin 6-2 226 4.50
7. Tyrone McKenzie South Florida 6-2 235 4.65
8. Zack Follett California 6-1 238 4.70
9. DeAndre Levy Wisconsin 6-3 228 4.55
10. Anthony Felder California 6-3 241 4.75

You can pick one of these guys as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Flounder - I think if Monroe or Oher are there when we pick in round 1, we take them... otherwise we should try and trade down and get Duke and Max/Unger.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 19, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

And is Clay Matthews the son of Oilers lineman Clay Matthews? Thats good bloodlines....

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 19, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I predict we will get shut out this week.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I also predict that I will get very drunk watching the game.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 19, 2008 8:52 AM |

I could go with the trade down, just get 3 of them and then get them in here and get them working together.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Flound, thanks for posting that. Was it back in 2001, when the Skins had the #18th pick, and traded back twice, and picked up 2 additional 3rd rounders, the year they drafted Ramsey. They need to take that same approach.

One thing I will say is that I'd almost prefer that they went exclusively one way in free agency, and exclusively the other in the draft. Draft 3 offensive linemen, and let them grow together on the line.

I want big guys, however. Big, 320 plus, and mean, guys who want to put the other teams guys on their back, and punish them. Like Jansen used to be when he came here out of Michigan, peeling guys off the pile right before the whistle..

BYU has a couple guys coming out this year, but because they've had to fulfil their Mission status, they're older than the typical person coming out.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

ryp, yes he is Clay Matthews kid, and the Dockery kid is Derrick's younger brother.

And Laurianitis, the LB from USC is the son of either, "Hawk" or "Animal" the wrestling guys.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"The Eagles have all the incentive in the world. It's just not a good match-up for the Skins right now (besides Detroit, who really would be?)"

How about Oakland, Buffalo, KC, Seattle? Once again, JLC, instead of simply reporting you have to take jabs at the Skins. This is one reason why you are so unbearable.

This remark was also unnecessary: "The Eagles overcame a brutal tie with Cincy (not quite as bad as a 20-13 loss, mind you."

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Eagles put 50+ points on this team Sunday afternoon...you heard it here first. I bet Jason gets sacked upwards of 5-7 times, just like Pittsburgh, and the stadium will be over 1/2 Eagles fans with the way the idiots down there are selling their trickets. Pathetic. It is going to be freakin' ugly !

Posted by: po403 | December 19, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

That Owens moron was the only free agent mistake they've made that I can think of.

If I'm right, their entire o-line is all draft picks.

And who drafted Trent Cole? DeSean Jackson?
Brian Dawkins? Westbrook?

The Skins would do well to hire a young GM from their front offices. A gm from the division would rebuild the team in a way where it could compete with what the Skins face week in and week out.

And can we wait until the Senior Bowl practices and the NFL combine before we start talking about linemen? They're hard to scout if you're just copying and pasting in names from some website.

Watch the Senior Bowl practices on the NFL Network-- that's when you see who are the dominant o-linemen. There, you get to see the best guys going against each other.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

In thinking about the, if JT retires talk, from previous posts. Whether he does or not is largely irrelevant, because he can get cut, and his money drops from the books. However, lets say a guy like Jansen decides to hang it up, what happens to his money? Does it go away?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

dude the skins wouldn't even have a good match up against the lions

as much as it pains me to say the skins flat out suck donkeyballs

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 19, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

If I'm right, their entire o-line is all draft picks.

All of the linemen except for John Runyan were drafted, and they have had a couple free agen acquisitions not pan out that well....Jevon Kearse, trading for Lorenzo Booker this year, but the rest is all good. Simply put, the matchup this week is very bad for Washington. It will be a blow out

Posted by: po403 | December 19, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"Other than Lito Shepherd, can anybody name a big money free agent on the Eagles' team? Their team--in good years and bad-- prove that drafting and selective, low cost free agent additions works.

If I'm right, their entire o-line is all draft picks"

Just off the top of my head, Assante Samuel, Jevon Kearse, Kevin Curtis, and Darren Howard, come immediately to mind, as Free Agents.

Jon Runyan, came to them from Tenn.

They traded for Donte Stallworth, and let him walk after a year.

Again just off the top of my head.....you know...facts and stuff...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

The Iggles signed Asante Samuel last off season.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:01 AM

He is the son of Animal from the Road Warriors. I saw them in person when I was 12 they were some big a$$ Mother f-ers.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Didn't we almost lose to lions back when we were "good".

My gawd people who still defend this team right now don't know football and like the team like some people like tabloid celebrities.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Lisa you are delusional the Skins are as bad as any team in the leauge right now including those scrubs.

If the skins were to play any of them it would be a toss up at best.

Plus we would have to win 10-7 because we can no longer score more than 1 TD per game

I guess it is a good thing I only want pepperoni on my papa johns pizza

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 19, 2008 9:05 AM |

That is all good but I guarantee you the rankings will be almost identical right before the draft.

These people that do these rankings have watched these guys every year they have been in school, they know who the best are.
Are some mistakes made each year sure but most of the time they are right on.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

deep breaths cl, deep breaths....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Vinny could just go by Kipers chart and not do any scouting and make better picks then what have been made around here.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The Eagles just went to NY two weeks ago and manhandled the Giants....so this is gonna be REALLY ugly...but hey that's the best way to watch the Skins, with expectations below sea-level...

Posted by: mrizzle | December 19, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If I am going to the game on sunday and I know going in that it is going to be a complete waste of my time, does that make me legally retarded?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 19, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Flound, where are those rankings you posted above from?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Larinetes or whatever that LB Ohio's name is is the son of a Road Warrior? Those dudes were scary back in the day.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

My exhaustion is making me even more dxyslexic as usual. As Cobain would say, "All Apologies"

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

JLC sucks.

Posted by: MadDog20201 | December 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

O-Tackles: Michael Oher Ole Miss 6-5 318
Phil Loadholt Oklahoma 6-8 337

O-Guards: Duke Robinson Oklahoma 6-5 335
Herman Johnson L.S.U. 6-7 351
Kraig Urbik Wisconsin 6-6 332

OLB: Clint Sintim Virginia 6-3 254
Clay Matthews USC 6-3 240
Brian Cushing USC 6-3 255

I know NOTHING about these dudes, but I can tell you why I like the guards though: Massiness - Especially that guy Herman Johnson

The way it's looking, the Redskins need to draft at least three offensive linemen. I think they should go guard with their first pick, tackle with their second, OLB with their third, DL with their fourth, another guard, then best available: RB, WR, CB, or QB.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Flound, where are those rankings you posted above from?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:22 AM |

Greg,

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:27 AM |

Red,

I take it your assuming we trade down for more picks because as it stands we only have 4.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

'skins as of right now only have five or six paicks, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

These guys are scouted by so many organizations that there is nothing a GM should'nt know about a player.

I don't work for a team but I knew Kelly had bad knees, I knew he had a terrible 40 time and blamed the University. I knew he had issue with work ethic.

Vinny had alot more information then me.

I'm not saying he wont work out but the information is out there so dont act suprised.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

flound, thanks.

red, when the combine comes around those heights/weights get adjusted to actual, instead of what is listed in the schools program.

But I'm with you on the sheer mass that the OL needs to be interjected with.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

My point was not to defend our beloved team, my point was to say to JLC - JUST SHUT UP!

He has spent the week bashing our team and players(as well as most of the year). Our season is over...we know it...we realize we are not good. Simply report the facts, dude, do not keep rubbing salt in the wounds! Is that too much to ask?

By the way, Larry Michael took a jab at JLC yesterday on Redskins Nation (in response to JLC blog about him). Larry's phone rang....he pretended to answer...said "Hello Sourcerer - good to see I helped you write a column....maybe I can help you again." Something like that. The feud between JLC/Larry Michael/Vinny is simply immature.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 19, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:24 AM |

CL,

Animal and Hawk they used to come out with those shoulder pads on with the huge spikes sticking out.

Those guys were huge.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV and all, if you haven't read The Blind Side (features the story of prospect Michael Oher) you all should by draft time, great read.

Same dude who wrote "Money Ball" about the new generation of baseball GMs/thinking.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

'skins as of right now only have five or six paicks, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:30 AM |

Red,

As I said above we have 4 picks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

thanks Flound, looks like you just answered my question from above.

okay then draft two o-linemen (Guard and Tackle) and draft two defensive players (OLB and DL).

it makes it easier to draft when you're working with 4-5 picks on average - *sigh*

last year was an anomaly, 'skins were probably the envy of the draft with TEN picks and TO DATE have only hit on one.

wow, motherf'n wow...

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Let's do some hypothetical stuff!

say we trade our first for an early 2nd and a mid 2nd, and then we keep our third. I don't think this happens, but here we go. I'm using Flounder's list just as a reference, some of those ratings I'd change.

I think our needs are Guard, Center, Tackle in that order. Unfortunately the best groups are Tackle, Center, Guard, in that order. Duke Robinson isn't a top 10 pick IMO. I'm going off value and who I think will be available.

early 2nd : Marcus Freeman, OLB
mid 2nd : Antione Caldwell, C
top 10 3rd : Luis Vasquez, G

That would be a pretty solid start to the rebuilding phase. Freeman is a pretty underrated linebacker and MIGHT be available in the 2nd. The thing is, there's a pretty significant dropoff after him. I'm not gonna bring up Aaron Curry cause dude would be worthy of our first rounder without trading back, but I'm being hypothetical.

Mid 2nd with Antione Caldwell, the guy is just good overall and he seems to be the kinda guy if you put him on a good unit, he'll be even better. He'll be as good as the line around him. Is that a good thing? I'm hoping so (but prolly not).

Top 10 3rd, Vasquez out of Texas Tech. I haven't seen much of his personally and he never really stood out to me this year, but dude was on an OL that DOMINATED a lot of opposing fronts for a good 80% of the season. He seems to have the size at 6'6 335. Again I haven't seen much of just him, but that OL for TTech was just darn impressive, and I mean really, really impressive this year. I think they were the best in football for the majority of the season, and any player from that is worth keeping an eye on and giving a chance.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Here's another wrap-up of the O.L. talent available, from the Steelers (who unlike the Skins, have 4 picks in the first 4 rounds).

I think we do need 3 of these guys, the higher on the lists, the better.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 19, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I think we should draft T. Tebow, but get this, run our own version of the wild cat but from Tebow in the Tackle eligible postion and redub it:

"Wild Hog"

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

What would you do if we stayed with the current picks?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:06 AM |

He would have to pay back the prorated portion of his signing bonus, witch would be alot. Witch is why he won't retire. It would be good for the skins cap situation, though if he did.......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posting ifthethunder list for Greg,

CENTERS Rankings
1. Alex Mack- California, Sr (6-4 316 lbs)- Legit first rounder. I don’t see a way he gets past the Steelers (if he does fall that far)
2. Max Unger-Oregon, Sr (6-5 300 lbs) - Unger is a very athletic and intelligent player.
3. Jonathan Luigs-Arkansas, Sr (6-4 314 lbs) - Luigs had Felix Jones and Darren McFadden there last year to make him look like the best center in the country. Well he should have left Arkansas with them because there is no way he is passing Alex Mack and at this point he has fallen behind Unger as well.
4. Antoine Caldwell- Alabama, Sr (6-3 293 lbs) - He has had some character issues but they were very minor. He should still get drafted in the first 5 rounds come April.
5. Eric Wood- Louisville, Sr (6-4 309 lbs) - Impressive senior season has gotten him to a point where he may be drafted
OFFENSIVE TACKLES Rankings
1. Michael Oher- Ole Miss, Sr (6-5 318lbs) - Oher nearly came out last year, but he decided to stay at the last second. He can play guard or tackle and he has all the skills to do so, good hands, good size, and great mobility. Look for him to go in the top 10.
2. Andre Smith- Alabama, Jr (6-5 340 lbs) - Smith is a hard worker and has great skills, and has greatly improved his mobility. Smith and Oher should go in the top 10.
3. Eugene Monroe- Virginia, Sr (6-6 315 lbs) - Monroe showed great improvement last season. He has continued to rise on the offensive tackle charts. I still have him behind Oher and Smith, but it looks like Monroe has solidified his first round status.
4. Eben Britton- Arizona, Jr (6-6 310 lbs)- Much improved this year. Looks to be a first round selection.
5. Russell Okung- Oklahoma State, Jr (6-5 300 lbs)- Well rounded blocker, also a first round prospect.
6. Ciron Black- LSU, Jr (6-5 314lbs) - Black has a lot of potential and great speed, but I think he will need a couple years to adjust to the NFL game. He is young though so he can afford to watch a little.
7. Jason Smith- Baylor, Sr (6-5 298 lbs) - Smith is above average at just about everything, but he doesn’t wow anyone in any area.
9. James Meredith- South Carolina, Sr (6-5 301 lbs) - Meredith’s athleticism may slip him into the first day of the draft.
10. Sam Young- Notre Dame, Jr ( 6-8 310 lbs) - Young rounds out the mass amount of junior offensive tackles on my list as one of the few consistent players on Notre Dame’s line.

Continued

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

OFFENSIVE GUARDS Rankings
1. Duke Robinson- Oklahoma, Sr (6-5 335 lbs) - Robinson would have probably gone in the 2nd round last year had he decided to leave. By returning to Oklahoma, Robinson has given himself a great chance to jump into the first round.
2. Sergio Render- Virginia Tech, Jr (6-4 334 lbs) - Render is a great talent, and originally I thought that he would need another year in college; however, he has shown great improvement this year and could go in the first day of the draft if he declares himself eligible.
3. Trevor Canfield- Cincinnati, Sr (6-5 295 lbs) - Canfield has the potential to slip into the first day if he finishes out the season well.
4. Andy Levitre- Oregon State, Sr (6-3 324 lbs) - Levitre had a fantastic season that pushed him up to a possible first day selection.

Continued

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

6. Greg Isdaner- West Virginia, Jr (6-4 322 lbs) - Isdaner needed to play well this season to think about going into the draft. At this point he looks to be a second day selection which could get him to leave, but I think he could elevate his status to a first day selection if he returns for his senior season.
7. Herman Johnson- LSU, Sr (6-7 351 lbs) - Big guy who can play multiple positions on the line, should get drafted in the mid to later rounds.
8. Ray Feinga- BYU, Sr (6-5 331 lbs)- Looks to be a later round selection at this point.
9. Matt Slauson- Nebraska, Sr (6-5 320 lbs) - His character issues are weighing him down. This may cause him to fall to being an undrafted free agent. It is tough to see everyone passing on his skill though.
10. Mike Johnson- Alabama, Jr (6-6 298 lbs) - Johnson should return for his senior season. With a solid senior year he could vault himself to first day status.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

How about Oakland, Buffalo, KC, Seattle?

I'm not confident we would beat any of those teams right now...maybe KC and maybe Oakland, but they would both be close.

All the teams you listed are better than the Bungles.

Don't get mad at JLC for reporting reality.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 19, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I know many of you aren't yahoo sports readers, but there is an interesting article on Atlanta Falcons GENERAL MANAGER, Thomas Dimitroff.

--------------------
Looks like all you have to do to move up the ranks in the NFL is be either a film editor, equipment manager, or a groundskeeper.

I didn't know he was an understudy of Scott Pioli.

The year the Falcons are having isn't a fluke. That team is going places - fast.

Is there some sort of Scott Pioli "GM tree"? If so, could we get one of those guys, or someone from the "Wolf tree"?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 9:42 AM |

4th,

Would ther be a cap hit? "for jansen if he retired".

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Can someone explain how you "slip into the first day" You slip down not up. You would have the potential to rise/ascend/grow jump into first day not slip....

I guess player analysis ain't poetry...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:47 AM |

Red,

If Snyder was willing to pay I think we could get Pioli, he shares some responability with BB in NE. If Snyder gave him complete control I think we could get him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

If we stay with what we got :

#10 first : Aaron Currey OLB, Micheal Oher T, Phil Loadholt T, Jason Smith T, whichever is available, in that order. I like Loadholt a lot but Oher seems like the real deal. Curry is too good to pass up if he falls, but I don't think he will.

3rd : Luis Vasquez G, Antoine Caldwell C, Jonathan Luigs C, in that order, whichever is available.

5th : Trade for the entire Tennessee offensive line (Not sure).

Again, this goes by my belief that our top needs are Guard, Center, Tackle. I guess LB would be 4th.

All of this is subject to change.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't know the #s off top of my head.

You have to take the last signing bonus and calculate the years of the extension and divide it proportionally.

Then take the # of years he didn't play from his new extension divided by total years of extension and that's the percentage you use to multiply against the signing bonus.

There's some other parts to include, but I figured I went to deep in already.....

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I smell hypothetical BS coming from my six...

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Flound, thanks so much for posting that, I really appreciate it.

Given the situation of having only 1 first round pick, and that NY/NY/NE are the teams holding the 2-second round picks, I think dropping back and getting them might not be reality.

I'd however be all for dropping back in the first, and picking up some extra third rounders. Seems like there could be some value there.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

More good stuff Flounder.

some quotes I noticed :

"8. Phil Loadholt- Oklahoma, Sr (6-8 337 lbs) - Loadholt has slipped on my list. He now looks to be a late first day selection at best."

I LOVE hearing that. If this guy keeps slipping as many project, and we can snatch him in the 3rd, that's a freaking steal and a no-brainer. His combine numbers are gonna be crap most likely, but I don't care what a tackle's 40 time is personally. And people have this idea that he's not a hardworker, but when asked the most impressive thing about him, one of his fellow OL said "his work ethic." I really like Loadholt, and he seems like a good dude overall.

"5. Louis Vasquez- Texas Tech, Sr ( 6-6 335 lbs) - Despite playing in Texas Tech’s offense, Vasquez didn’t allow a sack last season. Part of this is because of his great blocking but keep in mind that very few quarterbacks get the ball out as quickly as Graham Harrell."

I hope NFL scouts are eating this up cause Graham Harrell would ROUTINELY have 7+ seconds per snap. To watch that OL play was just like they were playing against highschoolers a lot of the time. I'm not exaggerating at all. Harrell just had all day. Skins fans would've believe an OL could hold up like that.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

No prob.

Agreed do not think were getting the 2nd's, would take some 3rd's to move lower in the 1st.

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Flound, if any one in the front office or on the coaching staff is deserving of a 5mil/yr. salary, then its defintely a guy like Pioli.

I found it funny that him and the Falcons GM was in Cleveland at the same time. I wonder if Belichick was there at the same time.

Damn, talk about untapped or unrealized potential and talent. Cleveland had two thirds of the formula of success that NE has been riding the last few years.

It would make you sort of optimistic about Vinny and his abilities, but you think of places he has been (San Fran & Notre Dame) and this notion gets immediately extinguished.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 19, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse