Cerrato denies report that he'll be a consultant

The Redskins today released another statement from Vinny Cerrato, who denied that he'll be transitioning into a consultant job with the team. Cerrato said he will be paid through the end of his contract, which expires in February 2010.

The rumor was first floated last night by ProFootballTalk.com, which posted a response of its own shortly after Cerrato's statement was released.

Here's the text of Cerrato's statement:

"A report on profootballfootballtalk.com early this morning regarding me, my future within the Redskins organization and the outrageous suggestions about so-called secrets is erroneous and irresponsible. Three times the blogger notes that he has no facts, and that is the only true statement made in the article. Dan [Snyder] has agreed to pay me through the term of my contract, which ends in February."

Mike Florio of PFT took notes. Here's an excerpt:

"At one point, Donovan acknowledged that he also was unhappy with the fact that I wrote the item in a way that allowed me to make my point without creating any potential liability, calling the tactic "cowardly."  And Donovan wasn't pleased with the fact that the team is receiving calls from other reporters seeking an admission or denial of the suggestion that Cerrato is being paid to pipe down.

"If you have facts, print the [expletive] facts," he said.

Meanwhile, Donovan explained that Cerrato remains under contract through February 2010, and that Cerrato's contract will be honored. I asked whether he would thereafter be consulting with the Redskins or directly with Mr. Snyder, and Donovan said he "can't speak to any future issue." Cerrato said that he and Snyder "haven't talked about that yet."

By Rick Maese  |  December 18, 2009; 12:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Predict Monday's result
Next: Zorn focused despite talk Redskins are courting Mike Shanahan

Comments

Redskins respond to our Cerrato "insinuation"
Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 12:04 PM ET
As we sift through the stream of holiday cards coming primarily if not exclusively from the friends and family members of Mrs. PFT, we can now cross one entity off the list of expected senders.

The Redskins.

We posted last night an item explaining that former executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato will remain as a consultant to owner Daniel Snyder, and we suggested that the role might have something to do with keeping Cerrato quiet about matters like the recruitment of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

So I got a call today from Redskins General Counsel Dave Donovan, and he had Cerrato on the line.

Donovan, to put it mildly, wasn't happy. (Unless he secretly moonlights as a drill sergeant.)

Before I go any farther on this one, I need to say that neither Donovan nor Cerrato used the magic words "off the record." They didn't say it at the outset of the call, they didn't say it after a lull in the conversation during which they thought I'd hung up and I said "I'm just taking good notes," and they didn't say it at the end when I thanked them for giving me so much material.

Donovan specifically wasn't happy with the "insinuation" that Cerrato was being paid for his silence. "If Vinny wasn't a public figure," Donovan said, "it would be defamatory."

Actually, it wouldn't be defamatory even if Vinny wasn't a public figure, since we made no statement of fact about anyone. We wrote only that there's a suspicion that Cerrato will be paid in order to ensure that he doesn't talk about things that he might know, whatever those things might be.

At one point, Donovan acknowledged that he also was unhappy with the fact that I wrote the item in a way that allowed me to make my point without creating any potential liability, calling the tactic "cowardly." And Donovan wasn't pleased with the fact that the team is receiving calls from other reporters seeking an admission or denial of the suggestion that Cerrato is being paid to pipe down.

"If you have facts, print the goddamn facts," he said.

Meanwhile, Donovan explained that Cerrato remains under contract through February 2010, and that Cerrato's contract will be honored. I asked whether he would thereafter be consulting with the Redskins or directly with Mr. Snyder, and Donovan said he "can't speak to any future issue." Cerrato said that he and Snyder "haven't talked about that yet."

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I see JAWS keeps pimping GRUDEN for our next coach. Hummmm, ALLEN and GRUDEN together. Didn't that get them fired in TB? No I don't see it, at least, I don't WANT to see it. MS is better than JG in my book. If I had my druthers, which I don't, I look for a fresh face, kinda' on the JIM CALDWELL side of things.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Thats good he should get paid the remainder of his contrat, he gave us all the best christmas present ever he deserves a little more money for that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like a bargaining ploy by Vinny. He's not satisfied with the deal they've offered him. He wants more. Snyder may not have enough to pay off both Vinnie and Zorn, after he's hired a new coach.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Florio is reaching with the conspiracy theory stuff.

I don't know what he is trying to accomplish by publishing his convo with Donovan.

The man is just digging for dirt and mad that he is getting called on it.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 18, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Redskins are right on this one. Florio has nothing to back his suspicion up, and though the Redskins can't do much about it, they can call him out on being a hack here.

Florio is still bitter he was burned on his Rooney Rule accusation is my guess.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

And thanks to 4th and MIKE FLORIO. Keeping head enforcer, uh-h-h, counsel DONOVAN in line I see. FLORIO must really be on to something, oh, oh, oh, hush, hush. I personally don't give a rat's azz where VC ends up. He can sit in DS's lap for all I care.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This Florio dude is a straight assclown. Trying to rile up the masses by adding in: "On this specific point, we'll allow the audience to come to their own conclusions about what Donovan and/or Cerrato might be insinuating."

Maybe Florio, you d_ickhead, he's insinuating that you post facts, you know, something substantial instead of pulling it either out of the air or your ass.

Poster Boy drama king. Another s_itbag who likes to stir the pot.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Gruden is staying in the booth at least another year. At some point, you have to take things at face value; things like "no out clause, zero percent chance, long term contract".

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"If you have facts, print the goddamn facts,"

This is probably the best advice Florio has ever gotten

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Poster Boy drama king. Another s_itbag who likes to stir the pot.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

--------------

When the media gets burned (see Rooney Rule Accusation by Florio), they tend to start slinging mud knowing they are untouchable.

Good for the Redskins on calling him out as a hack on this.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

What is the purpose of a new coach when the old stock is on the rise. Focus on offensive line, add a defensive tackle, keep Portis to play out his contract, trade or release Betts and EL, we should be OK. Without shame, I'm one of those that actually belief in this team,that's why I predicted 13-3 season, but I have apologize for my ignorance; however, I will always pick the Skins, good, bad or ugly, just a die hard fan.

Posted by: abxinc | December 18, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

Actually, Jaws was on Tony Kornheiser's show this morning and he said that Gruden will DEFINITELY be with ESPN next season doing MNF and that he WILL NOT be the coach of the Redskins.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 18, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Same turd that said Skins go to Super Bowl.

Posted by: ridgely1 | December 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

17 is worth at least a first-round pick."

It depends on the team, doesn't it?

The vikes might say he as the arm, but hasn't shown he can take over games with it.

The browns, bills, rams, panthers, and niners, though, might say, "We've see what he has, but think a 3rd is more in order."

And I wonder if Allen would take that 3rd.

I wouldn't: doing so would mean you're willing to take the chance the other teams don't want.

And if they don't wnat to risk another pick on a quarterback, why would you?

Think about it.

Keep JC.

However, S Moss I'd move by Feb 15th for a fourth rounder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It went down like this for all acounts Vinny was fired, but since him and Danny are boys he let Vinny resign to save a little face. Because Vinny was fired he is owed the rest of his contract and will be payed, no harm no foul.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

There should simply be no more discussion of Vinny Cerrato, the Chauncey Gardiner of Redskins football. He doesn't exist anymore, and never should have been known of in the first place.

Moving on, anyone have any info on Bruce Allen's team building or draft philosophies?

Posted by: chasgiffen | December 18, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

------

Call it the old Indian "it is not polite to speak of the Dead" philosophy.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"JAWS keeps pimping GRUDEN for our next coach. Hummmm,......."

JAWS a 'pimp'?

So what do we see when JAWS the pimp says, "Let's go to the tape!"

Hmmmmmmm,.........yuck!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

YAwn....

What about the game?

Have these people ever heard of multi tasking?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm....just wondering - is mike florio AKA 4th floor?

Posted by: scottmando | December 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Two years ago, Danny was not shocked, but put behind the 8 ball when St Joe retired again wit ha year left on his 5. I know why he did it, and can't blame him at all.

Anyway, Danny learned that entering the HC search game late is NOT the way to a) control the process and b) get the best guy for the job.

I think Danny started thinking about this as early as the Detroit game, flew to Colorado to meet with Shanny who told him "I can't help you durng the year", and has been working the "I'm done with Vinny and JZ and I'm gonna get Shanahan" plan ever since.

Besides the DEF job, I wonder who is gonna be the Rooney interviewee and.... wait for it... Can Tony D kill both birds with one interview stone that has already occured???? "Hey Tony, you wanna be my HC and GM with full control" "No, but thanks for asking Dan" "You sure? I'll pay top dollar" " No, I'm taking another year off, good luck in your search" "Ok, thanks for seeing me".

Shanahan's coming, the League Office already knows and is cool with it, and everybody just wants to NOT further embarrass JZ, who will land on his feet in a coordinator job.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

the time, frustration and feigned "outrage" that the front office is expending on some blog, shows you the continuing problem of the organization - obsession with, and managing to, public perception.

vinny, please just go. and tell the "general counsel" to shut up and do some actual work (but not suing season ticket holders).

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

So what do we see when JAWS the pimp says, "Let's go to the tape!"

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 12:41 PM

"Show it in slow motion."

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm still in happy time tough, over vinny leaving.

puzzled now about shanahan being the personnel guy though, maybe.

no, don't think about that, stay in happy time...

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm....just wondering - is mike florio AKA 4th floor?

Posted by: scottmando | December 18, 2009 12:44 PM

NEver...Me and him aren't even on the same page on most things.

Shanahan to the Skins is soo obvious, most of the NFL watching world knew this.

I just said Vinny was sacrificed to appease the fans, and for no other reason......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of cowards.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Flounder21 is right... He was Fired and thats why he got the balance of his Contract (about 300K). And "Resign" shows a little more stability and removes accountablity from Snyder...

Same thing with Gibb's departure.. He was pushed out through personnel disagreements with Vinny....But, he and the Skins front office came up with a Family emergency issue that was forcing him to resign.. and thus saving Snyder from the negative PR spin..
Interestingly, Gibbs was seen at a Nascar race, one week after his resignation..happier than a pig in sh-t.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

So what do we see when JAWS the pimp says, "Let's go to the tape!"

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 12:41 PM

"Show it in slow motion."

Posted by: League-Source

"Slow motion while gettin' it in "hoe motion"...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Florio is probably 4th's little brother.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 12:54 PM |

No chance Gibbs was pushed out by anyone, he left because he got what he wanted and didn't want to do it anymore.

He made alot of money for his race team and he got his 3rd race team.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

florio told me on the side that he could jack up 4th, just like 4th, allegedly jacked up DDockett....bama....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Florio is probably 4th's little brother.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 12:54 PM

Florio = 5th

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

so flounder..
you do or dont believe that "family emergency" excuse?

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm....just wondering - is mike florio AKA 4th floor?

Posted by: scottmando | December 18, 2009 12:44 PM

NEver...Me and him aren't even on the same page on most things.

Shanahan to the Skins is soo obvious, most of the NFL watching world knew this.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Thanks for clearing that up 4th...

Posted by: scottmando | December 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins were right to shut this down. The media is a self propelling phenomena, a self licking ice cream cone. The reason The Redskins decided to shoot this down in public was because they were getting calls from other media outlets for comment. Last thing they need or want at this juncture is this type of conspiracy getting any traction or legs.

Lets suppose, Dan fired Vinny for cause and chose to try and NOT pay him the last two months of his contract right before Christmas. Which story line do you think Florio would pimp then?? "Danny the evil richard cranium just screwed somebody again" is my guess.

By engaging Florio's BS, you combat his crap w/ the truth while letting all the rest of the media horde know that they should be careful about whose BS they choose to follow up on.

Glaring silence: You didn't see Ashburn issue any PR or call the Denver Post in a tizzy about their Shanny is coming report did you? Probably because the author cited "Two League Sources". Which is one more than we have here on the blog.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

That's right. I forgot about the time Redskin One was seen on a tarmac in Denver. That squares it. It's Shanahan.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I read this whole thing as Vinny is publicly gone for now, but will be, under cloak of darkness, brought back into the organization after the media storm cools down. As long as he doesn't make personnel decisions and doesn't coach, I could care less what he does.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Can we please start the RUSS GRIMM 4 HEAD COACH rally?

Nobody is talking about RUSS.

He was qualified to become the Steelers head coach, and then ran the offense to get the Cardinals into the Super Bowl.

BRING BACK RUSS GRIMM TO DC!!!!

Posted by: thesquire2 | December 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 18, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh-h I'm sorry. First time I been wrong about anything. Thanks for pointing that out. I was just running with the articles here.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins were right to shut this down.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:00 PM

Everyone hates the media, whereas almost everyone hates the Redskins' attorney. This at least keeps him from suing old granny ladies.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"erroneous and irresponsible" Sounds like Vinny's entire tenure. I wouldn't put it past Snyder to keep him around but sure hope not. If Shanny is hired and is Team Prez, and the meddler's top lackey sticks around...well that couldn't bode too well for B Allen's authority.

If saying this blog is above childish insults and agreeing on an RB = trying to ingratiate myself...homeboy's even more sensitive and delusional than I thought

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The big thing about Shanahan's offense is the zone blocking they like to do. He likes mobile linemen, if I'm not mistaken. Shlereth did well in it.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

If Redskins hire Shanahan, that is Snyder's hire not the GM. So it's business as usual. So what's really changed?

Posted by: dovelevine | December 18, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

What I wanna know is how they respond to the allegations that Vinny Cerrato raped and murdered a young girl in 1990! Or that Mike Florio raped and murdered a young girl in 1990!

Can they confirm or deny?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Once the plan was put in motion it became (with Holmgren as chief enforcer): "The first rule of Shanahan, is you don't talk about Shanahan"

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dovelevine | December 18, 2009 1:07 PM |

That was already duscussed if it was anything it was a package deal, Vinny is gone so alot has changed.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why a former employee would be calling a blog with the current team general counsel unless either a) there's something to the story that concerns them or b) Vinny really isn't a former employee.

It makes no sense why they would respond to idle speculation by a blogger otherwise.

IMO this is a Redskins problem not a Florio problem. He posts what he hears or what he thinks, as long as he says he doesn't have sources or facts or is just speculating (which he did numerous times) he hasn't done anything wrong. Cerrato's and Donovan's reaction is ridiculous, and by reacting like this they are only going to fuel more speculation and questions. Its basic PR strategy, don't respond to things that aren't true because doing so only makes things worse.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

See....I've been leaving tryin to leave that dude alone....I've been honoring my commitment not to trash dude....but dude gotta use my name in vein...Now, he's done it....

RedDMV...You bama a$$ Albert Einstein thinking MoFo....You on the blog acting like you the Obama on this joint...When you really just the , 'O-Bama'....O, Bama, you a fake MArcus Garvey type dude.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The should now able to and should definitely keep JC. Plus you already have Colt. Probably need another guy ... depending on whether they want to keep an aging 38-39 year old who is still in good shape? Not sure what Allen's philosophy would be on that. Remembering that he worked for his father, his father would undoubtedly pickup Favre at age 43 and start him. (And some fools on this blog complained about Gibbs? There is no way Allen would ever draft a JC or any other rookie ... ever!!!)

They still need to draft a tackle/guard and a center/guard in the upper 3 rounds. As an article in ESPN magazine states: parity died in 2009. So, the teams that are pseudo dynasties ... what do they have? They have been using basically the same offense with the same quarterback. Indianapolis.

I think the key is solid offensive and defensive lines and systems. Followed by quarterback and shutdown corners. I think the Haynesworth deal was okay ... he can dominate against both the run and pass. The problem is the guy never plays an entire year. Like Shawn Springs you are lucky to get him for nine games but unlike Springs he isn't over 30. What happens when he is pushing 30? Orapko does not stop the run, thus he is learning to "lineback". You need guys who can stop the run and pass rush. You need to draft more guys here.

On offense you need guys who are dominating run blockers. Who will take on any defensive lineman and pancake him. You need guys who have the agility and speed to pick up speed rushes and blitzes, lead and push screens ... the key to Minnesota may be to look at the running game ... and how much it helps Favre.

Again, the key to beating today's NFL "dynasty" is to re-build Gibbs/Bugel's dominating Hogs and George Allen's/Pardee/Petitbone DL's of the 70's-90's. You need "Dancing Bears" who play at an almost all-pro level into their late 30's. Who, more than anything else, are consistently good. And yes, you definitely need top 5 quarterbacks and corners.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Can we discuss Shanahan's draft history?

Since it was determined that Allen is more of a "salary cap, free agent" guy, and that the next Head Coach will bear most of the responsibility of Drafting, we have to consider for the potential HC's how well they drafted.

Is Shana a good drafter?

Posted by: REXskins | December 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

zj,

Give it up Vinny is gone they went after Florio because theyt didn't want every media outlet in the country calling and asking about what was going on.

can you people ever be f_cking happy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz

Bwahahahahaha... lls... ROTFLMBAO....

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:10 PM

Pay attention, Jack. Vinny is on the payroll until his contract expires next February. He's not yet a former employee. And he'd be making the call because Florio attcked him pretty viciously.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninKaneohe

"The first rule of Shanahan, is you don't talk about Shanahan"

You mean we are about to get an egocentric coach after not hiring Grilliams because he is an egocentric coach?

From Moe's lap, Beyonce sings, "He's got a big egoooooo...."

Hopefully, Shanny can back it up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009

That remains to be seen. By doing this ol' Snydley Owl thinks he has removed some heat ... he is no longer a target of fan hatred for ruining their team? Don't you dare let him off that easy!!! Its all on him. And Bruce Allen, if he starts behaving like his dad he and Snydley won't last too long together ... ~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Which was already starting to occur(every media outlet calling them).

They needed to cut this crap off at the knees before it got up a head of steam. Isolate the loon.

Which is also good PR strategy.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Right Peri,

'cause Trent Dilfer can't win a stuporbowel. Or Brad Johnson...

There's plenty of ways to win. But you gotta commit. Nobody backs into the superbowl, do they?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

From databasefootball.com, make of it what you will:

"
During Shanahan’s tenure with the Broncos, he was head coach and Vice President of Football Operations. From 1995, the Broncos Draft picks have produced quality players each year, including Terrell Davis, John Mobley, Trevor Pryce, Trey Teague, Olandis Gary, Al Wilson, Desmond Clark, Deltha O’Neal, Mike Anderson, Reggie Hayward, Ashley Lelie, Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, Domenik Hixon, Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall.

During Shanahan’s tenure with the Broncos, he was head coach and Vice President of Football Operations. From 1995, the Broncos Draft picks have produced quality players each year, including Terrell Davis, John Mobley, Trevor Pryce, Trey Teague, Olandis Gary, Al Wilson, Desmond Clark, Deltha O’Neal, Mike Anderson, Reggie Hayward, Ashley Lelie, Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, Domenik Hixon, Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall"

Here's a link to their total draft history too...i'd say dude has had pretty good success. Does anyone know if he assumed the role of GM/VP FO when he took over as HC in 95? If so it's hard to argue his record drafting

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

zj,

can you people ever be f_cking happy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:10 PM

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is gone and I am happy. At what point did Florio attack Vinny? He suggested that the Skins we're paying Vinny to stay quiet, that to me is an attack on the Skins not Vinny. And a response to a blog but the Skins general council would mean that there may be something to it.

I think the Skins are responsible for the global economic crisis through shady dealings and tampering with Albert Haynesworth. Do you think I'll be getting a call from the Skins general council now? If it was so ridiculous why would they need to respond?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

flounder21

"That was already discussed (Shanahan's hiring) if it was anything it was a package deal..."

So we now know what the late night flight to Denver was all about a few weeks ago.

Vinny was done sometime before he brought Sherm Lewis in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Moe, my FC reference was to the way that "The Fraternity" was getting pretty POed at the way JZ was having his testes removed in full living color.

Get a new coach and GM? Sure thats your business.

Hang JZ from the yard arm and let him twist and twitch in the breeze? Dude, that ain't right, so chill.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Here is something to get your motors going, the 980 guys are discussing this what if Shannahan was actually braught in to be the Team President and not the coach ala Parcells in Miami. Then the two of them woulkd hire a head coach, this could happen because fox is reporting that Shannahan is at Redskins park right now. If he was going to be head coach there would be no reason for him to be there today unless they are firing zorn now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Not good news, Heyer may miss Monday nite game with knee issue

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I love how people get so outraged over PFT...as if it's not as plain as day that he runs a RUMOR MILL! If an actual news outlet like ESPN or Fox Sports says the stuff PFT does, then THAT is "erroneous and irresponsible". Some guy who literally writes this stuff from his basement is not held to the same standard as guys like Mort and Schefter, regardless of however much corporate sponsoring Florio gets. He's a blogger with a few inside sources, nothing less, nothing more. He's not a journalist, and holding him to journalistic standards is laughable.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I am heading down to Wheaton, MD tonight......any signs of snow down that way yet, or are they still saying no snow til midnight.....ish?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm passing out Chef's hats...

WAIT... I don't have enough!

...we must have ... too...

...in tha ki...

...OH NOOOO WE SUCK AGAINNNN!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 18, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:21 PM

Well, you're wrong again. It suggests that Vinny is taking a bribe or that he solicited a bribe.

In your mind, guy who gives bribe = bad, guy who takes bribe = good?

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Vinny was done sometime before he brought Sherm Lewis in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM

Bruce Feldman of Fox 5 is reporting that Shanny was at Redskins park last Friday morning.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze, you should be good if you get in before midnight, the earlier the better. Where you coming from?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM |

Not yet but it is supposed to start sometime this evening be carfull out there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21
========================

Usually you get interviewed before you actually get hired. It isn't out of the ordinary for him to be interviewing now for a position opening in 3 weeks.

Posted by: REXskins | December 18, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan At Redskins Park

Updated: Friday, 18 Dec 2009, 12:36 PM EST
Published : Friday, 18 Dec 2009, 12:36 PM EST

By myfoxdc

WASHINGTON - FOX 5’s Dave Feldman has learned that former NFL coach Mike Shanahan was dropped off at Redskins Park Friday morning around 10:00 a.m.

It is speculated that Shanahan is meeting with Redskins owner Dan Snyder and new GM Bruce Allen to discuss the head coaching position for the 2010 season.

Shanahan led Hall of Fame Quarterback John Elway and the Denver Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl victories in 1997 and 1998.

Shanahan was fired in December 2008 after the Broncos failed to make the playoffs during the 2008 NFL season.

Holy caca. Thats breaking the first rule of Shanahan, right there, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank you! that's my point, the guy lists his posts under rumor mill, and in the post said multiple times that he was just speculating, they decide to call with the team lawyer to respond to his speculation???

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | December 18, 2009 1:28 PM |

Dude please if it is Shanny he was interviewd a long time ago, he and Allen are a package deal this was done months ago.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

noone, that is not good ate all....who will be the RT if he's not playing?? will they put BMW at RT, and move Edwin Williams to G??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks guys, coming down from Wilmington....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is your problem man? Can we both just post our opinion and discuss without you having to start an argument and act like an ass every time I post something?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

You should be good... earlier the better to beat the start of the action.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

He's not a journalist, and holding him to journalistic standards is laughable.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM |

He works for NBC Sports. Same as Fox, ESPN.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Dilfer was a 1st round pick. He could have been a Redskin instead of congress critter Heath Schuler. At his height he could be have been considered a top 5 QB ... he did better with age as he became a conservative Allen-esque QB ... the perfect QB for, say, the Ravens ... who are a very George Allen-like team. As for Brad Johnson, again another top 5 guy ... better than 1st rounder Dilfer. No matter how you cut it neither of these guys were franchise QBs. Neither could be considered HOF material. However, Campbell still has upside, is still young. The jury has to still be out for the guy ... he is a very special athlete who hangs in there and toughs out adversity just like a Billy Kilmer used to. You just never know ... now do you?
Something to consider ... Ravens are the modern version of a George Allen team, always led by the defense. First guys to come on the field and be announced ... ~smiles~ instead of fancy pants Favre quarterbacks. Unlike Allen teams they are consistently successful. Something Snydley must have noted?

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

BMW back to right tackle to prove that's where he belongs? What's bad about that? They can throw hard working Edwin back in at guard.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The Shannahan report was a mistake Feldman just said it was a mistake and pulled it from the website.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

and his blog is sponsored and linked to by NBC, he's not an employee. He is a paid employee to right columns for Sporting News, and he doesn't speculate on there he adheres to rules of journalism, on his blog he rights his opinion and rumors he hears. its very different than published content from a news organization.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Feldman recanted and FOX5 pulled the report off their site.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gents-

Bored on my day off, here's Shanny's first round picks and my crack(head) analysis:

1996 John Mobley, All-Pro in 97, key contributor on 98 SB team. Career cut short by spinal injury

1997 Trevor PRyce- 4 time Pro Bowler, won two rings, started on 98 team.

1998 Marcus nash- Bust

1999 Al Wilson- 5 time Pro Bowler, 2 time All-Pro

2000 Deltha O'neal- 2time All-Pro (also got Mike Anderson in 6th)

2001 Willie Middlebrooks- bust

2002- Ashlie Lelie (CP in 2nd rd)

2003- George Foster- bust

2004 DJ Williams (Tatum Bell 2nd rd)

2005 Darrent Williams

2006- Cutler

2007- Jarvis Moss

2008- Ryan Clady

'06 draft was an excellent one- also got Dumervil, B Marshall, Schefler, Domenik Hixon.

All in all, I'd say he's drafted well. Think it's safe to say he's a definite upgrade from what we've had the past decade. Seems particularly adept at drafting defense and quality RBs outside the 1st rd

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

BMW back to right tackle to prove that's where he belongs

he doesn't have the feet/speed to handle the speed rushers off the edge, he's better at G...thats not debatable...Osi/Justin will eat BMW alive with speed rush's...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1

"......any signs of snow down that way yet, or are they still saying no snow til midnight.....ish?"

Snow...?

What's that?

Here in Florida, the snow comes in little white bags for $20.00.

And the trouble comes only when you can't find it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, the fresh air edition, brought to you once again by the fine people at Yahoo!

It wasn’t hard coming up with a topic this week. I’ll leave a review of where Cerrato went wrong for an upcoming week, for now it is a look into Bruce Allen.

I’ll start with is what little I know about him. I’m familiar with his father and brother. They are famous and have minimal relevance to Bruce Allen, GM.

What does Bruce Allen believe in and what does he do well? The draft is pretty good place to get some insights and that is what I will explore today.

Allen was an exec with the Raiders until 2003, then with Tampa starting in 2004.

I’ve looked at the Raider drafts from 1997-2003 and the Tampa drafts from 2004-2008.

In Tampa, Allen had 47 draft picks from 2004-2008 (I believe he was there for the 2004 draft, but not certain). 20 of the picks came in round 6 or 7. As best as I can tell, none of them have made much of an impact. Bruce Gradkowski is the best known of the low round picks.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

PFT reporting that Shan just arrived at Redskins Park.

Not sure if this is true or not....any verification out there?

Posted by: httr20081 | December 18, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Of the 27 high and mid level picks, he drafted:

5 DBs
4 DL
7 OL
4 LB
1 QB
1 RB
1 TE
4 WR

The success of his picks does not appear to be particularly noteworthy. LB Barrett Ruud is his best pick. Guard Davin Joseph made a Pro Bowl. His highest picks, Gaines Adams (4th overall) and Cadillac Williams (5th) have been significant underachievers relative to their draft position.

After looking all this over, I realized there was a Q&A with Matt Loede from Tampa. He has further insights, but our conclusions are similar.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

He works for NBC Sports. Same as Fox, ESPN.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:32 PM

So does the camera man for "Football Night In America", but nobody's holding him to journalistic standards, are they?

Bottom line is he's not a journalist. I've never heard anyone say he is and he goes out of his way to say he's got no interest in being one. He runs a rumor mill. Period. The whole point of his blog is to get a no-holds-barred, throwing-sh*t-to- the-wall look at the NFL. If you view what he does in the same scope as what Peter King and our old pal JLC do, you're fooling yourself.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

In Oakland, I’m guessing 1997-2003 as years Allen would have been involved in the draft, though it is unknown how much influence Allen had with Al Davis and Davis, and in Oakland, Davis is always the final decision maker. There were 53 picks, 17 in rounds 6 or 7. Of those late round picks, only Grady Jackson became a solid pro.

The 36 top and mid level picks included:

5 DBs
10 DL
6 OL
3 LB
1 QB
3 RB
3 TE
3 WR
1 P
1 K

The track record here is more noteworthy. Among the picks were Charles Woodson and Nnamdi Asoumgha – DBs that will get serious HOF consideration (of note, his DB picks in Tampa were among his better picks for the Bucs, according to Loede). He did well with Lechler (P) and OK with Janikowski (K). Beyond these stellar picks is a mixed record, with few standout players. The late and often troubled Darrell Russell is among these picks, 2nd overall.

All in all, Allen’s record for spotting talent in the draft appears worse than the Redskins had with Cerrato. Allen has had a top 5 pick in 4 different years, twice with Oakland, twice with Tampa. The players selected were Williams (a decent RB), Adams (a bust), Russell (talented, but troubled) and Woodson (a star).

In the lower rounds, Allen has come up pretty empty – while the Skins have found a few gems along the way.
s very close to what the benchmark group did.

Allen has chosen players in the right proportions and is remarkably close to the distribution associated with the best teams in football.

Given the QB will be a major subject, it is worth a glance at his results with drafting QBs. Allen has drafted just two QBs in the early and mid rounds, one in round 2, the other in round 5. The round 2 pick never made much of a dent in the league. The number 5 pick, Josh Johnson, doesn’t appear to have a significant NFL future at this time. The odds of re-signing Jason Campbell go up.

The bottom line on Allen’s draft history is actually pretty simple. He understands how to draft in a balanced manner, but he struggles to identify talent at pretty much all levels of the draft. The notable exception is with DBs, where he has pulled in top talent. To succeed, Allen needs a very good talent evaluator to help him select the right players out of college. The combination of Allen and a strong talent evaluation team should prove very effective.

And that is it for the fresh air edition of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

so, instead of hiring a GM, they have hired a cap/salary person, and are about to hire GM/Coach?

contrary view of shanahan on personnel issues:

While Shanahan has a fine offensive system that led to many different running backs having great success (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis to name a few), several questionable free agent moves are the reason he has been terminated.

...Travis Henry, Dre Bly, and Niko Koutouvides were all big money free agents that haven't exactly worked out. Denver has a lot of salary cap space tied up in these players who haven't exactly led to much success.

On top of that the last few drafts have been pretty weak. They have failed to find an all star running back since taking Portis in 2004. For the 2007 draft Shanahan, who was had final say on all personnel decisions, drafted three defensive lineman all of who were busts. Jarvis Moss taken with the 17th overall pick is a huge bust, while the others Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas are ordinary at best.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

beantown

"...he (BMW) doesn't have the feet/speed to handle the speed rushers off the edge, he's better at G...thats not debatable...Osi/Justin will eat BMW alive with speed rush's..."

Looks like we'll have to change our earlier forecast...

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

just saw one comment on florios pronouncement on pft that shan arrived at the park....

the comment said "wrong again".

who runs pft? is it legit? how long has it been in existence?

Posted by: httr20081 | December 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

moe, may your neighbors on both sides sell their houses to 700 pound nudists......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, messed up the cut and paste!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

He runs a rumor mill. Period.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2009 1:40 PM

No, you're wrong. Click on it. It specifically says "Latest news and rumors."

But, a "rumor mill" is not journalism? It is not subject to any standards? Not buying your distinction.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I am no fan of David Donnivan, nor was I a fan of Vinny, but Florio can lick it on that one.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 18, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

the comment said "wrong again".

who runs pft? is it legit? how long has it been in existence?

Posted by: httr20081 | December 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Late to the party, its a blog run by Mike Florio from WV, a former attorney, out of the basement of his home. It is not a news organization, it has corporate sponsorship from Sprint and NBC but it is just a collection of other people's reports, rumors he hears, and speculation. It has been around for several years and is very popular but it isn't a news organization.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

missing section

Next, I looked at the drafts by position, and compared it to my benchmark group. The benchmark group consists of the drafts of the Pats, Colts, jints and Steelers from 2001-2008. I looked at the early and middle rounds (rounds 1-5), by position. These top teams use roughly ¼ of their picks on DBs and 1/3 of their picks are along the lines, evenly split between offense and defense.

Combining the Raider and Tampa picks, Allen’s high and mid level picks breakout as follows:

10 DB
14 DL
13 OL
7 LB
2 QB
4 RB
4 TE
7 WR
2 ST

So how does he compare to the benchmark group?

Pos, Allen, Benchmark Group
DB, 16%, 24%
DL, 22%, 16%
OL, 21%, 16%
LB, 11%, 15%
QB, 3%, 5%
RB, 6%, 5%
TE, 6%, 8%
WR, 11%, 9%
ST, 3%, 2%

Comparing Allen’s track record to the benchmark set by the top teams, the only area where he is significantly underweight is at DB, the position he had the highest quality picks.

So if he chose to underweight DBs, where did he overweight? It is music to the ears of Redskins fans; he chose to overweight along the lines. Over 40% of Allen’s early and mid round picks have been linemen. The benchmark group used 56% of their picks on DBs and linemen. Allen used 59% on these groups. If you add in LBs, the benchmark group used 71% at these positions, Allen 70%. Of note, the LB to DL ratio should depend on if a team is 3-4 or 4-3, but the total of those 2 groups should be similar. The benchmark group used 31% of their picks on DL+LB, Allen used 33%.

At every other spot, he was very close to what the benchmark group did.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

who runs pft? is it legit? how long has it been in existence?

Posted by: httr20081 | December 18, 2009 1:42 PM

PFT has been around for about 8 years now and I've read it faithfully for about 6 years. If you're like Greg where you only want to bother with stuff that is factual, you won't like it. If you like reading about NFL rumors and/or speculation, then it's a good read. Every once in a while, Florio will break a story or even speculate his way into a nugget (the old fashioned blind squirrel finding a nut scenario) of information.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 1:46 PM

Except that it has a feature called "latest news and rumors" and it doesn't label news as news or rumors as rumors. So, aside from that ambiguity, it is what it is.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Mista moe..
Supposedly Vinny and Shanny were close friends from their days together in San Fran.
But, I wonder if the worm turned and Shanny said, "I wont consider HC unless Vinny is gone"?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mistamoe wrote..

Vinny was done sometime before he brought Sherm Lewis in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"...Mike Florio from WV... It is not a news organization...but it is just a collection of other people's reports, rumors he hears, and speculation..."

So he's making buckets 'o cash doing what we all do for free?

How do I sign up for that job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

yeah, it would seem pretty obvious when right on the front page is a link to "Rumors Only"

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

didnt Shanahan use one of the 3 picks the Skins gave up in 05 (1st, 3rd, 4th)...to move up and grab Jason CAmpbell...on Brandon Marshall in 06 (4th round pick formerly owned by Skins)? Sux, if true.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

seems to me on balance, Shanny has drafter better than BA. Maybe with Allen's alleged cap expertise (provided the CBA gets renewed), this could be a good tandem. MS leads the drafting, BA in charge of FA and cap related issues. I don't know....I still think we should bring back Terry Robiskie

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So he's making buckets 'o cash doing what we all do for free?

How do I sign up for that job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:52 PM |

You mean you haven't worked out an arrangement yet? Maybe you should shoot an e/m to Cindy.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

you guys are missing the story related to pft. There real story is that THIS is what gets these guys to speak to the media. It tells you what Skins management is concerned about.

Skikns mgmt rarely takes questions from the media, but this little rumor spread by pft gets them so upset they come out of their shell.

Skins mgmt couldn't bother to comment on real stories or important issues surrounding the team. But the details of Vinny's contract ARE so important that they need to call the media and curse the guy out?

Shows how badly misaligned mgmt's priorities are, and how paranoid they are.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Not good news, Heyer may miss Monday nite game with knee issue

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Apparently this Will Robinson guy will start for Heyer? Is this true? I've never heard of this guy. I guess he can't be much worse than Heyer though. Maybe he can run or pass block. Doing either would be an improvement.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Donovan smelled blood, too, because calling out PFT on this, will neuter PFT in the eyes of legit journalists. Will seriously cut back "quotes" from PFT.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Which was already starting to occur(every media outlet calling them).

Which is also good PR strategy.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 1:17 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 thanks for that post. It seems you put some work into it. The good news I find is that in the later rounds, the current Redskin's scouts do a good job of identifying "sleepers". If Allen keeps the nucleus intact, then he should be provided with similar analysis. Couple with the possible pilfering of either DeCosta or Depaul and Allen should have a quality draft board through the potential UFA draft picks of which he can present to Shanahan.

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't be so bad if NBCSports.com hadn't gotten into bed with PFT. Half of the "articles" on their NFL page are PFT blog posts. I can't stand Florio's sensationalist crap.

Posted by: jaradel | December 18, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

league-source

"...WaPo is paying me $1.75 per post. If my stuff is worth $1.75, I'd say yours should fetch $2.50 - $3.25."

For $3.25 per post, me you and Red could get together and split a 2 dolla hoe.

So as long as I get to go first....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"In what could only be termed 'buyers remorse',PFT has learned that the Washington Redskins are strongly considering firing Bruce Allen, and rehiring their former employee, Vinny Cerratto. Someone in the building has observed that over the course of the past 24 hours Dan Snyder has been wandering around asking if anyone has seen his BFF Vinny....gets weirder by the minute"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Shows how badly misaligned mgmt's priorities are, and how paranoid they are.
Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:55 PM

IMO, it also confirms that Vinny hasn’t exactly cleaned out his desk yet, and maybe won’t be doing so for a while. Let’s just hope he actually gets sent packing when the “terms of his contract” expire…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 18, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

MS leads the drafting, BA in charge of FA and cap related issues.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 1:54 PM

I'm okay with any arrangement as long as it limits DS's role to paying the bills and hosting in the owner's box.

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Shows how badly misaligned mgmt's priorities are, and how paranoid they are.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 1:55 PM

Exactly. they also blow up with "outraged" denials of things that turn out to be true (just not their offical party line, issued via press release)

the FO that cried wolf:

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

whoever comes in as HC (except possibly Grimm)..it will probably be the end of Buges as a Redskin.
Too bad to see it end this way.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is just doing a "turnover" with BA. People worried about vc having some stealth role of any import are just being delusionally paranoid.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Apparently this Will Robinson guy will start for Heyer"

True or False:

In hindsight, releasing Jon Jansen was an arrogant move as the team had no real backups at either tackle spot in the event of injuries to the starters.

Answer: True.

Hindsight is always 'True'.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone mentioned that in pro football, when you sign any contract, there is always a non-disclosure agreement.

If you want another job in the NFL or college football, you shut up! No one has to pay anyone to shut up, they already know what great jobs they have and they get paid VERY WELL.

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood26, for real man, do you support anything Washington Redskins?

You have idiots that will read "NFL players has three cocks" on PFT and people will believe it just because. You know this. And besides the fact that what Florio was in the rumor mill, can you point out anything in that piece where he isn't suggesting it as facts?:

"With Vinny Cerrato resigning his position as executive V.P. of football operations in D.C., most people assume that he'll no longer be working for the team.

"And that assumption would be incorrect."

Per a league source, Cerrato will be remaining with the franchise as a consultant to owner Daniel Snyder."

"Frankly, however, we're not sure how much consulting Vinny will be doing. The suspicion is that Cerrato will remain on the payroll in order to ensure that he doesn't blab about company secrets, including for example the truth regarding the recruitment of Albert Haynesworth (whatever that truth might be), the facts regarding any communications with and involvement of Mike Shanahan in recent moves made by the team (whatever those facts might be), and the details regarding other potentially sensitive issues (whatever those details might be)."

It's unlikely that Cerrato will be complaining to Snyder that Allen and/or the head coach are doing things incorrectly and that Cerrato could be doing them better if only he had another chance. Even though he's already been fired and returned once before, we seriously doubt that Cerrato will be Snyder's Billy Martin."

No where in there he comes across as: "Psyche y'all, I'm just bulls__tting." By reading the first paragraph and the sentence following it, he's suggesting everything else but.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The quick and public denial from the REdskins Front office and attorney regarding Vinnys terms of departure...and/or kept on as a consultant, supports the idea that Vinny was fired more for PR reasons versus performance.

Maybe the empty seats and recent low merchandise sales made an impact on Dan.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired about talking about Vinny, Florio, and Red's Race bait biting a$$....

How about that game Monday Night against a divisional oppennant?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Remember that Vinny is a partial owner of Six Flags, and possibly of Johnny Rockets and Red Zebra (ESPN 980's owner). Even if he's not being transitioned into a consultant role *with the team*, he might still be receiving recompense w/ his role in Danny's other failing business empires. That way, they can say "No, he's not being bought off by the Redskins" but still can get bought off by Danny for keeping quiet about various improprieties.

Just a thought.

Posted by: yatesc1 | December 18, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just a thought.

Posted by: yatesc1 | December 18, 2009 2:14 PM

Be sure to send it in to Florio in case it hasn't occurred to him. If you send it in, he can label it as "a rumor". If he makes it up himself, he has to label it as "a rumor."

Posted by: League-Source | December 18, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Under which you will find his original post about Cerrato staying on and being paid to keep quiet in which in parenthesis he said several times "whatever the facts may be" as in he's not trying to say what the facts are. Not too mention how classy it is for the Redskins attorney to call up and deny a rumor and using expletives to do so. Pretty amazing on the Skins part if you ask me. I just have a hard time imagining Bill Polian, Scott Pioli, or even Bruce Allen hopping on the phone with the team attorney to call a blogger and curse them out. I would like to think they have better things to do.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

yatesc..

Awhile back I reviewed Six Flags Hoover report..and didnt see Vinny on the owners list.. Are you sure?
+++++

Just a thought.

Posted by: yatesc1 | December 18, 2009 2:14 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I think what pissed the Redskins off about the whole Vinny as a consultant thing was simply, to quote Mike Grundy: IT AIN'T TRUE -- THAT'S NOT TRUE!

Go back and re-read the article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/cerrato-will-remain-with-the-redskins-as-a-snyder-consultant/

Besides the thing being in the damn "rumor mill", there is nothing in the actual piece that this is solely speculation and opinion. NOTHING!

So what if it's in the rumor mill? Is that supposed to change the substance of the article? If a basehead hooker was in church, isn't she still a basehead hooker?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

4th, you coal for Christmas getting bama...if this thing about Heyer is true, then we've got some SERIOUS concerns....regardless, I think they have to operate out of the gun a LOT, hopefully Sellers is GTG, so he can soften them up some....gonna be a brawl....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

No, Moe the true arrogance, and why Vinny is now "fired" was in not signing the Redskins starting left tackle Levi Jones ... He was available then!! while arrogantly releasing Redskins mainstay Jon Jansen. There was no 'hindsight" there ... as you well know many of us here were railing against the FO's 'arrogant' downplay of the OL, basically ignoring the OL at Free Agent signing time and during the draft. Idiots, fools. No NOT hindsight prescience, almost Nostra Damus like prescience. Except we all know the injuries to braveheart Chris Samuels, and stalwart guard Randy Johnson were far worst than the team was admitting ... c'mon Moe you remember now don't you?

Answer: True.

Hindsight is always 'True'.
More like prescience ... winning a million in Vega like.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"..it will probably be the end of Buges as a Redskin. Too bad to see it end this way."

Buges doesn't go out with shame, though.

This season was one of the best job of coaching we've probably seen from him.

It looks like where he may have asked for quality drafted guys, he didn't get them.

So he took what he had, and fashioned together five guys who played hard every Sunday.

They weren't the best 'o Buges.

But I also don't think they are the cause of any shame on his part.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Shut up 4th, you pouting bama...

You're just sour because your boy Vinny is gone and Orakpo is turning out to be a beast.

So give those reasons Vinny will be back again, you ol' fake ass W.E.B. DuBois.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Answer: True.

Hindsight is always 'True'.
More like prescience ... winning a million in Vegas like.

And now there's a beantowngreg1 !!! How many beantowns are there out there now?

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Reading the "tea leaves" this looks like a package deal with mutual approval of Allen and Shanahan.

Snyder wants Shanahan. Shanahan wants control of personnel and the coaching staff. Shanahan doesn't want to handle the business side (contract negotiations, salary cap calculations) and he didn't want anything to do with Vinny.

Enter Allen who's strength is taking care of the things that Shanahan doesn't want to handle.

Shanahan approved Allen's hiring and Allen knows Shanahan is coming and the things he will control.

Snyder needed to move now before the Cowboys lose a few more games and enter the bidding for Shanahan driving up the price and/or messing up the whole plan.

Snyder and Allen aren't interviewing Shanahan, just putting the finishing touches on the deal.

Posted by: hapster | December 18, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, remembering that he still has serious issues stopping the run ... handling those big tackles and guards on running plays.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

the patient is having heart problems, his arm is broken in two places, his eye is swollen, his skin has been sheared off from his thigh down to the shin and he has a hangnail.

The pft story is the equivalent of the hangnail -- so where does Skins mgmt spend their time?

It really speaks to a staggering amount of dysfunction on the part5 of the mgmt team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Does Shanny really make sense as our HC?

It does not seem to me, not one bit that our team on the offensive side of the ball fits his style of offense, doesnt he use lighter, faster OL...I would imagine that he doesnt like JC either, cuz Danny doesnt and we know he really didnt like Portis, wonder what he thinks of our WR's.

Just seems like we are going to be rebuilding for a little while, if Shanny comes here.

Dont his defenses usually suck too...

I am not that excited about this at all, time to go to my happy green place

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 18, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Naw Orleans may have run out of Grilliams Guile. Many are picking them to lose to Dallas having seen how close the Redskins came to blowing them completely out of the water.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

F U Red and Your BB Beans....

The point I was making the other day was, this move means nothing in the landscape of things. Shanny was comming here already.

MAybe we can talk about football next week, since it is...you know...Cowboys Week...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 18, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

peri

"...C'mon Moe you remember now don't you?"

I've lost a lot of brain cells since I've started posting, so don't get me to start using my memory.

But you are right.

And before Levi Jones, Michael Oher could've been had.

And before Michael Oher, Sam Baker could've been had.

And but for the FO being cheap, Ray Willis would've left Seattle.

And but for the FO believing so much in Mike Williams, J Bridges would still be with the team.

The point of my post is the release of Jansen was a signal that Vinny was stuck on stupid.

He believed too much in what he was doing and too arrogant to double-check his decisions.

And now, he's stuck in an umemployment line.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

As my brother said, "I would rather suffer through a rebuilding period with a young, up and coming head coach then to slog through Shanahan II and another decade of middlin' football."

This is the ideal--a young, up and coming coach. It's also the least likely outcome, since the main decision-maker has shown himself to be what I would call basically risk-averse up to this point (with the huge exception of hiring Zorn--which, ironically, may reinforce previous risk-aversion). What I mean is, a young, assistant coach with lots of potential is also an unknown, with no HC record. There's lots of up-side, but also lots of risk. Instead, an experienced head coach with a record of winning (even if he's had a fair number of losing seasons as well) SEEMS to be less of a risk (whether that's actually the case is debatable). So, I think the 'easy' call is to find a proven winner. With the exception of Zorn, that's been Snyder's tendency (and even with Zorn it appears he tried to get a big name but was unsuccessful).

Now, the big unknown at this point is Allen. Does he have a preference for up-and-coming assistant over proven record HC, the opposite, or has no preference? How much will this be his call (or, since we know Snyder has ultimate say, how well will he be able to convince Snyder of his preference)?

Finally, although HC is crucial, it is only one of two or three of the most important non-player roles in the organization. It appears that Allen will be the second of those three (Snyder being the third). Remember, the Redskins 'Golden Age' was the product of JKC + Beathard/Casserly + Gibbs. Beathard picked Gibbs. JKC gave Beathard and Gibbs the space they needed and financial support. Gibbs came up with innovative offense (let's not forget Petitbon and our fearsome defenses!) Beathard then Casserly provided the player personnel without which Gibbs offenses (and Petitbon's defenses) wouldn't have been so successful. And, crucially, Gibbs and Beathard/Casserly had a good relationship and communication, so that the GMs could identify players that fit with Gibbs's schemes and overall philosophy.

So, Snyder got one important thing right. He picked a GM first. Let's see how much latitude Allen will have in picking a coach and what kind of decision he makes. Whoever he picks, I would assume it will be someone Allen believes he can work well with, and that over time our player roster will be shaped not so randomly and at apparent cross-purposes (i.e. no fit between type of player and coaching philosophy a-la Jason Campbell and West Coast offense).

We'll see. I'm cautiously and mildly optimistic that we might be moving in the right direction for the first time in a long time. But head coach decision will reveal a lot.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 18, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

tru dat Moe..
In the last half of this season, Buges developed walk-ons, cast offs, and players that would struggle to make a Div II College team.. into a respectable, competitive OLine. If the Skins had drafted more than 3 OLine guys in the last 10 years, imagine what he could of done.
=====================================

mistamoe wrote...
Buges doesn't go out with shame, though.

This season was one of the best job of coaching we've probably seen from him.

They weren't the best 'o Buges.

But I also don't think they are the cause of any shame on his part.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 2:20 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Peri, Orakpo is up for DROY.

Just becasue I call him a beast doesn't mean I'm saying he's the best DE/LB in the NFL.

Bottom line, if you're up for DROY, then you're a beast. A young beast at that.

Brian "Young Beast" Orakpo

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 2:07 PM
-------------------------------------------
Have you ever seen anyone violate a non-disclosure agreement and hurt for it? It's rare. There are many legal complexities to non-disclosure agreements that make them very hard to enforce. I am not sure if players sign these, but if so, teams must go out of their way to ignore them. Why do you think the Redskins sign a quarterback that spent the preseason with the Giants, and then release him later only to sign a former Dallas QB? Why do you think Philly signs so many fomer Redskins? Was it any coincidence that former Eagles defensive coordinator Jimmy Johnson - God rest his soul - always seemed to be in the head of the Washington offensive coaches?

I do agree that Vinny would be a fool to tell all about the Redskins. First, Dan Snyder has more legal muscle than congress and Cerrato would be slapped so hard with lawsuits he would be looking out his ear. Second, no team would want a guy who told secrets. Every team has their own dirty little secrets. They want to be sure whomever is on their staff will keep those secrets.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

I live in the Tampa area and the Skins hiring of Allen is being treated down here pretty much like the 49ers treated the signing of Brandon Lloyd. My buddies who are Bucs fans are hysterical and keep telling me how they’re glad they’re not Redskins fans. This from a fan base with ONE win this year.

Gary Shelton of the St. Petersburg Times sums it up: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/with-former-tampa-bay-buccaneers-general-manager-bruce-allen-hired-by-the/1059695

Posted by: Redskinrex | December 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't Shanny like JC? Didn't Shanny bring in Cutler? Isn't Cutler another rocket arm somewhat mobile QB just like someone else we know?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

On Shanahan, it sure seems like that ball is going downhill in a hurry. It doesn't make much sense to me.

The president/HC is almost always a bad idea. OK, now it makes sense to me why Danny would want to do that.

Same old, same old.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor = Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nah, but for real, are you going to the Dallas game?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

PFT aka FLORIO is just nothing more than the equivalent of NBC/MSNBC/ABC is to the political world. Wild accusations with no substenance. People wonder why there are so many brain dead idiots in this world.
Add CNN to the above.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | December 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN Blog on pro bowl votes from fan. Fletcher is currently running #5.
-------------------------------
Inside linebackers: 4. Keith Brooking, Cowboys; 5. London Fletcher, Redskins: This is bound to upset Redskins fans. The guy's had another great season but the Susan Lucci of NFL linebackers could remain on the outside looking in. Even Lucci broke through at some point. Brooking's had an excellent season and deserves to be in the mix.

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Avatar awaits.

I don't drink, but a friend gave me some very expensive bourbon to 'test out'.

It's the holidays, so I'll let loose for a lil bit.

I think I'll 'test it' out Monday at around 8:30 pm.......

Is it ice, soda, or shots?

I'll figure it out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

beep
beep
beep
beep
beep...

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

KpO is a promising talent, he has a whole mess of sacks and is a proven starter.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 18, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Can we discuss Shanahan's draft history?

Is Shana a good drafter?

Posted by: REXskins

He drafted (and LOVED) Jay Cutler - which is a SCARY thought. I'm so not into Shanahan being our coach.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

that article about Bruce Allen comes across as written by a scorned lover...the general gist was that BA didn't like the media...wow...watch Bill B talk to the media...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If I'm a publisher of sports books, I've lobbed a phone call to Vinny's rep already, with a high six or low seven figure contract, depending on the proposal and what he's willing to say...

As another poster puts it: You can "book it"

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I wish I had a job where I could resign (quit) and still collect the remaining $$$$$. I bet if Zorn had resigned the team would not have paid him the rest of what he was due.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | December 18, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey let's hear a little about how much certain draft picks were actually needed by the team. Great somebody picked an all-pro D-lineman, but if, say, the offensive line is made of cardboard, ain't what should have been picked.
As fans in, say, Washington know.

Posted by: kls1 | December 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Please, does anyone really believe that Vinny is going away completely? He's just going underground. Snyder can't function without his sycophants. Vinny will surely be in the background telling Snyder how smart he is and maybe play a little racquetball on the side. Allen and the new coach will provide some adult supervision for Snyder but everyone else is still loyal to Snyder first. Redskin Park will just be a little Potemkin village. No matter what Snyder has told the new hires, he will be in the thick of things. He doesn't do humble, otherwise his world crumbles.

Posted by: SackMan | December 18, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato was a butt-boy. Done. Flushed. Support Zorn and his staff. Change at the margins (RB, CB, OL). Leverage strength. Minimize unnecessary/turmoil. Redskins are 4 players away from playoffs.

Posted by: g0tcha | December 18, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If Sndyer hires buttboyVinny in any capacity I will personally find and kick Dannyboys **ss!

Posted by: Jaymand | December 18, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I take it that the Donovan at issue is not the one given to singing about electrical bananas.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | December 18, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Donovan's response is just anothter sign of how bad it has really gotten at Skins park. A nuke 'em response for some hack's comment that Vin may hang around? It's remarkable that's even worth a response from someone as (self) important as Donovan.

Look, would ANYONE be surprise if Snyder keep Vin around in some capacity? Seriously, would you? Of course not. Snyder likes the guy. King George had his entourage .. so what. And yet, knowing that, Donovan feels the need to go to the mat.

Simmer down Skins park .. lighten up. You're undergoing a make over, creating a new potential.

Be happy.

Posted by: tslats | December 18, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, maybe its just me but I have never heard of trying to obtain a new coach during the season with a current coach in place. (Zorn or not). Just doesn't seem like an ethical thing to do. Oh well, it is the Redskins. Also, if the 'Skins draft the Okla. quarterback will they still be called the Redskins. Just asking.

Posted by: boyn4884 | December 19, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: boyn4884 | December 19, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I want Shanahan over Gruden only by the facts that Shanahan really emphasizes fortifying the offensive line and will "re-dump" Portis again the first chance he gets. Shanahan believes that any running back can make plays behind a good offensive line and not the other way around. Just look at his list of running backs that gained over 1000 yard who were not drafted high or over-paid via trades: Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis (pre-Redskins), Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell. O-Line, O-Line, O-Line!!!!

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 19, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

a blogger that is ethically indistinguishable from Synratto....NOW THERE'S A SUPRISE!

Posted by: mdrockjock | December 19, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse