Cerrato offers his take on the Dez Bryant matter

Leave it to Vinny Cerrato to be the voice of reason.

Cerrato, the Redskins' former executive vice president of football operations, appeared on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Thursday to discuss the Dez Bryant controversy.

Cerrato said he'd never ask the type of question that Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland asked Bryant, and Cerrato said he'd already understand a player's background before sitting down for an interview. Here's part of Cerrato's remarks:

"I think Jeff Ireland should be embarrassed by the questioning. I don't think that line of questioning has anything to do with his draft status. That has nothing to do -- even if the answer is yes, am I still going to take Dez Bryant? Probably. You know, the other thing is, you're stitting there one-on-one across from him, and if I'm going to draft him, what type of relationship am I going to have with this guy if we draft him and he comes in and I've insulted him and talked about his mother that way? He's not going to want to come to my office if he's got issues or anything; He's not going to want to come talk to me. I've alienated him before we even took him.

"My scouts have been on the road, they've done a background check on this guy for the last two years. I have all the NFL information. I have every time that he got stopped for speeding, anything to do with the law, I have that information. And I have a psycholoigcal testing on him that I have sitting in front of me about him also. So I'm going to ask him questions about things that came up from those people. Am I going to ask about his family? No, not in that direct way. I want to know about him, I want to know about his character off the field, I want to know about him. I don't care as much about his family unless they're coming along with him. and I'm going to phrase it differently. If I draft him, 'Dez, who's going to come with you? If we draft you, who is going to come with you? Is anybody going to move with you? Who's coming with you? What family member?' And that's a much softer way, so I still have a relationship with this guy."

The debate on this topic continues (it's the topic of the day at The League) and it's pretty hard to argue with Cerrato's stance here.

By Rick Maese  |  April 30, 2010; 10:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCardell takes on task of developing Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly
Next: Redskins updates: retail stores, video screens

Comments

Vinny sounding reasonable. Spooky.

Posted by: will_ga | April 30, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Way to go out on a limb Vinny in being firmly against calling someones mom a prostitute.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

You know, the question was probably inapproriate, but to continue discussing it ad nauseam just furthers his humiliation. Let this story die and let's move on.

Posted by: McMetal | April 30, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Hey Dez...if I draft you will you catch more than 30 balls a season? You see I'm stuck with a couple of WR stiffs that I blew my load of 2nd rounder on a few years back, and I, uh, you see, need to save some face."

This would have been the only question Vincenzo could have mustered to ask Bryant if he were still in charge.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 30, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is where he belongs, "OUTSIDE THE LINES"!!!!

Posted by: jiza32 | April 30, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is the burgundy and gold version of Dick Cheney.... why won't he just go away?

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that Cerrato, Campbell, Rock and Zorn STILL get play on the Redskin Insider?! Who cares, they are no longer Redskins. Why not get Otis Wonsley's point of view on the RB situation? or Maybe Jess Atkinson's tips on how to be a better kicker.

Give me Redskin news that pertains to THIS team.

Hail

Posted by: ChrisWoody | April 30, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone else have opinions?"

Both D Bryant and D Thomas (rookies) will have better seasons than M Kelly.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Vinny talked about "My Scouts have been on the road." Excuse me, What scouts? Danny and Vinny on the road was the Scouting Department. They have only asked these type kind of questions. What do you want for dinner? What do you want on your potatoes?

Posted by: japark89 | April 30, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Vinny talked about "My Scouts have been on the road." Excuse me, What scouts? Danny and Vinny on the road was the Scouting Department. They have only asked these type of questions. What do you want for dinner? What do you want on your potatoes?

Posted by: japark89 | April 30, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

...Why not get Otis Wonsley's point of view on the RB situation?...

Posted by: ChrisWoody | April 30, 2010 11:12 AM |

Dapp for the Otis Wonsley reference... haven't heard that name in a long time! LOL!

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is right. (Toughest sentence I've ever typed.)

Posted by: mack1 | April 30, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

This has probably been blown out of proportion. I mean, if you have a kid like this about to be thrown into the national spotlight, it might be in the organizations best interest to know what's fact vs fiction.

I mean, let's say he gets drafted and someone breaks this story. The PR people are going to sit him down and say, 'Dez, we can help you with your public image, but you gotta tell us what's real and what's not'.

Now, it's a little odd taking place in the draft, and Dez sure didn't make it sound like it was presented too flatteringly, but this is one of those cases where all the Dolphins could do was issue an apology because public opinion would have shouted down any rationalization.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 30, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is better on OTL than he ever was in the front office.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 30, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Hard to say this, but for the first time I actually agree with Vinny. If I owned the Dolphins, Ireland would have been fired on the spot.

Posted by: bones21 | April 30, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Umm, Vinny.

What scouts???

You don't know what a background check even is.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 30, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I think both MK, and DT have big years, given the uptick in coaching, and game planning, I can't help but think that MS/KS are gonna find a way to utilize these guys...getting DT the ball on slip screens, MK on the skinny post..the new coach's 'have a clue' its not their first rodeo....unlike the old coach.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 30, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse
________

The skinny post may be the perfect pattern for MK given has skillset.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 30, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse
________

The skinny post may be the perfect pattern for MK given his skillset.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I would've phrased it differently as well.

"Dez, how would you compare your mother to a doorknob?"

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

ask him if his mom is a prostitute

if he doesn't kick your azz

then we can work with him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 30, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I like how Vinny has returned to acting like a person who knows about football things on teevee, rather than acting like aperson who knows about football things while helping run our beloved team into the ground.

And I love the fantasy scenario he spins in which he, Vinny Cerrato, is an ace personnel guy who takes a completely different approach to the Dez Bryant interview. Because, you know, he's the consummate professional, at the head of a well-oiled football operation.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Vinny.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 30, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The skinny post may be the perfect pattern for MK given his skill set.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Add to that list:
-bsilvanus

Anyone else?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 30, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Well said Nate.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 30, 2010 11:31 AM

That must have been the strategy, brian. I think Jeff Ireland is damm lucky, because I give better than even odds of a rapid azz kicking if you randomly ask 10 NFL prospects, "Is your mama a ho?"

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"You know, the other thing is, you're stitting there one-on-one across from him, and if I'm going to draft him, what type of relationship am I going to have with this guy if we draft him and he comes in and I've insulted him and talked about his mother that way? He's not going to want to come to my office if he's got issues or anything; He's not going to want to come talk to me."

Vinny, you would have a GM-player relationship, and that player (in our case, Portis) should be going to the Head Coach, not you.

Boy, I am glad he is gone!

Posted by: gwelsh | April 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is better on OTL than he ever was in the front office.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 30, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The old saying was "Those who can't do teach"
Now the new saying.

THOSE WHO CAN'T DO WORK FOR ESPN

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM

My thinking ALMOST exact...I was thinking that Vinny is the burgundy and gold version of Al Gore.... why won't he just go away?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

did anyone see this OTL? cerrato is the creepiest dude ever. his eyes start getting all bugged out and huge. couldn't even listen to him, i had to turn it off

Posted by: follybeach | April 30, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

re cartwright's being over-rated by the fan:

it's gotta be the name (and the fact that he practiced and the fact that he never pissed and moaned about anything). "rock cartwright" - what a great football name! the only one that compares, that i remember, is "stonebreaker". i believe there was a linebacker somewhere named "stonebreaker". any other all-time great football names you guys can think of?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

See I am a bit older I guess. I was thinking Vinny is the burgendy and gold version of Aaron Burr... which means he will probably shoot Jim Zorn in New Jersey someday.

And if you don't get that referents get off the web and pick up a G** D*** history book.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

go post your goofy opinions on some hateful liberal political blog and save this blog for sports -- why don't you people just go away?

Posted by: bestmick1 | April 30, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Nominated for post of the month

Posted by: Devo2 | April 30, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Alex35332: Give yourself some credit...you don't have to be old to know who Aaron Burr was, just "rounded?"

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Now now...calm down everyone... both your political parties and their ideologies are just awful.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

One of the few things Cerrato has said that doesn't anger me.

Remember that time we had three 2nd round picks? that was awesome.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 30, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 12:01 PM

You are right alex35332. Maybe the comment should have went like this: Vinny is the burgundy and gold version of a genital wart.... why won't he just go away?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Parcells & Ireland - def. sjkholes.

But Cerrato as analyst?! ANYONE cares what that d-bahg thinks?!!1

And his analysis is completely off point. As a player personell guy, you don't ask that question because you have some concern about the effect of the player's possibly criminal family - you ask it SPECIFICALLY to get a rise out of the guy. That's why they asked the [albeit stupid and insensitive] question; to get a rise outta the guy.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 30, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I think we can all agree to that? Anyone on the Democratic side want to concur?

I always knew it would take a third party activist like myself to achieve bipartisanship on the issues that mater.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

walter,
i think another reason rock was popular is that he was "normal" sized - height anyway. btw, is "rock" his real name?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Do you ever get the feeling that those of us that post up here often will eventually die of a heart attack? It will happen to about half of us during a redskins game, and the other half while watching some sort of perceived “slanted” news program……or else in a blog fight at 11pm or later…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 30, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Why is is that Millen and Cerrato are getting more air time now after they got fired for being horrible at their jobs? I wish I could get fired and somehow fall azz backwards into a better, less pressure job while somehow garnering more respect for my opinions in the process. Unbelievable..

Posted by: ga8085 | April 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Ga, I think it has something to do with "embrace the suck"... y'know - like slowing down to look at a wreck.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 30, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | April 30, 2010 12:15 PM

Millen was at least a decent announcer before he became GM. Cerrato's just annoying. Although it was amusing to see Millen slip up on ESPN last weekend. As soon as he called Jaws a pollsjk I had a feeling he'd be apologizing at some point. Of course that some point was like 15-20 min afterward.

Posted by: skinswest | April 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Somebody ping me when the statute of limitations on Vinny Cerrato posts on RI runs out. He's the worst.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else have opinions?"

Both D Bryant and D Thomas (rookies) will have better seasons than M Kelly.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2010 11:08 AM

Hell no!

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

On the subject of good names, I once came across a guy named "Rock Harden" -- this is totally true. He was not a football player as far as I know, but still that is a great name.

Another pretty good one was a woman who used to work in my office. Her name -- again totally true stuff here -- was "Tiffany Satin".

Posted by: manlius1 | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Vinny should know about embarrassment!

Posted by: 1of9000 | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If you heard an explosion last night it was this guy’s credibility plummeting to earth like a frickin meteorite.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 30, 2010 10:31
==========================================
I thought that was Thunder booooooming in the night!!!! True Skins fans Rule!!!

Posted by: Hackersk | April 30, 2010 10:58 AM

Yeah, but the light show was spectacular!

Posted by: edvar | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1, you said,
"Do you ever get the feeling that those of us that post up here often will eventually die of a heart attack? It will happen to about half of us during a redskins game..."

indeed. i get so worked up during games that one of my daughter's friends once said, "i think your dad's gonna cry." as a kid, i DID used to cry when the "over the hill gang" lost.... i'm in my 40s now, but i have imagined when i'm in my 60s/70s (knock on wood) my doctor will prohibit me from watching games (but i'll secretly watch them somehow....).

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

ga8085

"Why is it that Millen and Cerrato are getting more air time now after they got fired for being horrible at their jobs?"

Because that's the new American Way.

If you overcome tough circumstances, and achieve the best, no one cares.

If you fukup and are exposed to all kinds of shame, you are considered an expert worth listening to.

Success now is the ability to get an agent to help promote your failures.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Finally, Vinny can revenge Dolphins for Taylor deal..:))

Posted by: skinsMill | April 30, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

noone's politics 101 tutorial

Democrat - someone who takes some of your money to increase the size of government to give his friend a job

Republican - someone who takes some of your money to hire his friend's company to do work for the government

Socialist - someone who takes some of your money to give his friend benefits they doesn't have to work for

Communist - someone who takes all of yoyur money for the greater good and tells you where you work

Facist - someone who take some of your money so he can rid the country of socialists and communists

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 30, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Vinny started using Yahoo after he thought Google was really making fun of his eye.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Simply put, Jeff Ireland's question to Dex Bryant has racial connotation. If Dez were white, I doubt such question will be asked.
Stupid Ireland should go back to his ancestral home to ask such idiotic question.

Posted by: abxinc | April 30, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 30, 2010 12:12 PM

That is great, so long as you don't adopt Aaron Burr's tactics for dealing with those whom disagree with you!

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxin

I really don't see a race issue here at all? There are plenty of white working girls to aren't there Red?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | April 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 12:28 PM

With you. My wife won’t be in the same room with me during games and my dogs are usually hiding under the bed by the time the 2nd qtr starts. I only cried once; when Staubach and the Boys beat us in the 79 last game of season. I was in 6th grade. That game alone fuels my hatred for the cowboys. And the Cardinals, who laid down and let the bears run up enough points to overtake the skins in the points tiebreaker to get the last spot in the playoffs. That still burns.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 30, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Context!!

Here's the version that the Dolphins apparently are selling: (1) Ireland asked Bryant what his father does; (2) Bryant openly admitted he's a pimp; (3) Ireland then asked what mother does; (4) Bryant said that his mother works for his father; (5) Ireland then asked if his mother is a prostitute.

If this is true...Dez Bryant looks like a dumb a$$......Should have never admitte your father was a pimp...then proceed to say your moms works for him?? Shhhhhhiiiid......That's simple mathematics..... 2 + 2 ALWAYS = 4....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | April 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw is apology. Quite uncomfortable..for viewers

Posted by: ga8085 | April 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

2 words - Cerratso Rizzo

Nothing to see here, let's get back to the WR's.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,
speaking of the boys... the words "clint longley" are enough to raise my blood pressure by 30mm.

relax...breath in....breath out....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Have fun all! If I hurry to the television, I can catch Jerry Springer's "final thought."

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 30, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Reid,

Considering the gag reflex it causes, please refrain from reporting anything about Mr. Cerrato.

Thanks.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | April 30, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Jeff Ireland was just trying to get some play? I kid, I kid.

Seriously, was this a hard position to take? I mean, who asks another person whether his mom is a prostitute? Dex Bryant should have beat Ireland and then asked him for a public apology.

Posted by: BT23 | April 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"I think Jeff Ireland should be embarrassed by the questioning. I don't think that line of questioning has anything to do with his draft status. That has nothing to do -- even if the answer is yes, am I still going to take Dez Bryant? Probably."

Players are always whining about the fact they want management to be direct. Given the stance of the NFL commish, the good behavior NFL rules, and the events that have transpired over the last several years with players, the law and shady acquaintences, I am not sure I see a problem with the questions. Is it a lesson in tact? No. But if Ireland somehow loses his job here, he can get one with the companies that do background investigations for government clearances and be very good at it. To think these questions are unique to the NFL is ridiculous.

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Walter,
Did you go to high school in Falls Church? I went to J.E.B. Stuart back in the day.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey I know! Vinny doesn't work here anymore so who gives a sh!t? He's a giant d-bag anyway.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 30, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Trying to pronounce your handle makes my mouth sad. And there's one poster with the handle of: Boys Head Coach.
I don't know why, but it comes off as kind of creepy to me, lol.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 30, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

flound, agreed, KM will get these guys to work hard, and combined with an actual coach who knows what he's doing...no where to go but up....

cue up corky claiming these guys wont know the new offense in 3....2...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Oh Good GOSH no, beans, you cynical old Rapscallion.

Moss will know the offense, Cooley too. You can bet Galloway and Wade are pouring over the new playbook, Mitchell likewise. And unless I miss my guess, Davis got a taste of the good life last year and is a studyin' fool.

The new guys from UCLA? Fine University. They'll know the plays.

Which brings us to Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.

If McCardell can get THEM to learn the playbook, forget Coach of the Year honors, he's eligible for Sainthood.

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

That's simple mathematics..... 2 + 2 ALWAYS = 4....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2010 12:38 PM

Hey, blah blah blah, grumble grumble grumble, what is this, a Skins football blog or a math blog?!?!?!

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vinny: So guys, what did you dig up on Albert Haynesworth?

Scouts: Well, let's see...where do I begin (shuffling stack of papers)...we got anger management issues, a pending charge or 2, doesn't work out hard, plays for a paycheck, seems to be dinged up alot...should I go on?

Vinny: No, no...you can stop right there. He's got "highest paid lineman EVER" written all over him.

Posted by: p1funk | April 30, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I saw a picture of Joey Galloway in the paper this morning. His unshaven razor stumble is grayer than mine ... which means I feel young again!

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 30, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Vinny - Just the thought of him makes me laugh. Who gives a flying F what that guy would do or thinks. He is a mindless bafoon, almost a caracture.

Posted by: astrober1 | April 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

he's eligible for Sainthood.

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2010 12:56 PM

why the capital letter? You mean Who Dat-hood?

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Yeah, but it's kind of a life lesson for all the kids out there.

When you fail, fail BIG! You'll either get another chance to fail, or a Media Gig as an expert.

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"I think Jeff Ireland should be embarrassed..."

Vinny thinks that this other NFL FO executive should be feeling embarrassed.

...I'll just let that one sit out there...

Posted by: p1funk | April 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

For those who don't want to work or talk Vinny/Ireland/Dez...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 30, 2010 12:59 PM

So on this Riley one, I gotta say I love the idea of a LB who can cover the pass ... kind of makes up for that which Orakpo is not.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

See also:

*Matt Millen's career

Posted by: p1funk | April 30, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

For those who don't want to work or talk Vinny/Ireland/Dez...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 30, 2010 12:59 PM

So on this one, sounds like Betts' replacement is IN THE HOUSE (till the end of training camp anyway) ...

Weaknesses: With all of that talent, he has never translated that into actually production. Keiland spent four years trying to run outside on everybody which you can't do in the SEC -- SEC linebackers are fast, too. He is also notorious for getting tackled by a blade of grass, slipping in open field way too often. He has no nose for the sticks and often seems to forget the game situation. He abhors contact. Oh, and he fumbles a lot.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

That's simple mathematics..... 2 + 2 ALWAYS = 4....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2010 12:38 PM

2nd Floor + 2nd Floor = 2nd Floor ALWAYS

No matter how many times you push the 2nd Floor button, you still don't get to 4thFloor.

Posted by: beep-beep | April 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"If Dez were white, I doubt such question will be asked."

(The interview continues.)

Dez: You think momma a hoe 'cuz she black.

Ireland: I think your mother is a prostitute.

Dez: Stop callin' her a prostitute when she a hoe.

Ireland: Sorry for the mix up.

Dez: It's what's called a degree without a difference.

Ireland (raises an amused eyebrow): Explain.

Dez (leans forward on his elbows to explain): Okay, see, a prostitute, she have nasty sex for money.

My momma a hoe 'cause she do it for free.

So stop callin' momma a prostitute when she a hoe.

And why you interviewing me about somethin' everybody already know anyhow?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How hard is it to come out against the Miami exec after the fact? If i never hear a word from the bleeping idiot again, my life would be fine. He also shares the insight as to what went wrong with his regime The goddamn players should not be interacting with the GM. That is why you have a chain of command. Can you imagine a major in the army going straight to the general over his superior officer?? kaboom.

Posted by: rschotta1 | April 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

At what point does the Washington Post stop interviewing Vinny Cerrato?

We are trying to move on, as a franchise and as a city.

Can we please stop interviewing our most notorious failures?

What is the Post's thought process here?

Cerrato? Awesome, let's get that on the site. We are pulling the Heath Shuler interview. Man, an interview with Cerrato, what a scoop!

Does anyone in Washington care what Cerrato has to say about ANYTHING?

I wouldn't even trust his opinion on the weather if he was sitting in front of the Dopplar 3000 radar screen.

He was a failure with little credibility when he was here, so why on earth would anyone in Washington care about what he thinks now that his failure has been memorialized through his firing?

This guy is like the Rod Blagojevic of the Washington area. We all just want him to stop talking and go away.

And it is difficult to move on as a franchise and as a city if you keep bringing him up.

So please, STOP INTERVIEWING CERRATO!

Posted by: SkinsFan2010 | April 30, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

just catching up from last night and already i've seen references to Lt. Calley of the My Lai massacre, Aaron Burr and Rod Blagojevic. damn i love being a 'skins fan.

smartest fan base in the league.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 30, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

oh and when Vinny friggin' Cerrato says you handled something wrong (and he's actually RIGHT), you're just gonna have to leave the league.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 30, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Finally, Vinny can revenge Dolphins for Taylor deal..:))

Posted by: skinsMill | April 30, 2010 12:29 PM |

Bugeyes probably doesn't realize he was punked.

Posted by: wireman65 | April 30, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I apologize if someone else has said this already but who cares what vinny thinks? Can't he just go away. He's like a bad rash.

Posted by: bhauge1 | April 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

DC2AZ99,
uh...yeah... jeb stuart '82.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the guy up top who asked why Vinny and other 'formers' get so much run here...Vinny is about as reliable as a Pinto with a rolled back odometer. This fool helped pass out more money to bums than the Salvation Army at Christmas time...who cares what he thinks?

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 30, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

This is funny as he11...why is he reporting about a has-been to the organization as if Vinny knew anything about football...apparently Jason Reid must think Vinny has some clout, nah I think he does his own thing, he is here just to piss off Redskin nation and find ways to stir up controversy. I have yet to see him comment on one thing positive...what aclown...

Posted by: alstars85 | April 30, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

never sign a player with an entourage (the best friend, the friend from the hood, the player friend, the towel-carrying guy, and the bodyguard from hell).

Posted by: Rockvillers | April 30, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Is Vinny still a part of the Redskin organization? Why do we care what his opinions are? Vinny had nothing of substance to say for ten years with the club, and I can't imagine anything that he says now has any relevance. Please Vinny, just go away.

Is it a slow news day JR? Enough with the Vinny updates, please!!!

Posted by: jdwilliams | April 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid, why are you asking this clown ANYTHING? Nobody really cares what he thinks. I have no idea what the articles says beyond the headline and refuse to read it.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 30, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Please just let Vinny go away. It was the happiest day this whole last season when he was gone. Don't keep him bringing us back to torture us. Let it go!

Posted by: jjhare | April 30, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

F-CK VINNY!! Why in the He11 is this news? Who gives a rats a$$ what the he11 idiot boy thinks?! For the love of god, let it go Reid! We all know that you have a hard on for the man, but he is gone ! LET HIM GO!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

who the fùck cares what vinny thinks? if you wanted to know what vinny was thinking wouldn't you just ask li'l danny anyway?

Posted by: rev_ollie | April 30, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

must be a really, really, slow news day when you have to quote Vinny the village idiot. I like the Otis Wonsley reference. Let's call Norm Snead and Chris Hanburger too.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | April 30, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant needs to be coached in how to answer questions. He should've described his father's profession as 'entertainment recruitment and placement services'. His mother was in the entertainment industry.

Posted by: randysbailin | April 30, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 30, 2010 11:09 AM

Posted by: bestmick1 | April 30, 2010 11:54 AM |

Always one mouth breathing redneck that turns a funny joke into something sinister. Lighten up limbaugh lover.. sometimes a joke is JUST A JOKE!

Posted by: iubiquity | April 30, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is like Freddie Krueger except worse.

Posted by: nativedc | April 30, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Jason —

Why do you — or anyone else at the Washington Post or any other media outlet — continue to ask Vinny for his opinion on anything? His tenure with the Redskins is ample evidence that he has no idea how to evaluate talent or run an organization.

Call Joe Gibbs or Bobby Beathard or Charley Casserly. Vinny was a joke when he was Little Danny's lapdog, and now he's only an ex-joke. Please stop using him as an "expert" or a source at all.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 30, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is the dumbest person in the world. How can ESPN employ this toolbag who does not have an original thought and who would think that dung was some kind of Chinese food? Rick Maese, do us all a favor and don't write anything about Cerrato. Please.

Posted by: getitritegov | April 30, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a #$%^ what Vinnie thinks?

Posted by: PCinOz | May 1, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Vinnie is so full of crap!

Posted by: OLDTIMESkinsFAN | May 1, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

So I am guessing every creditble host was busy, so they had to get someone. I am guessing that ESPN did not want to spend the money to send someone on a plane to africa, to go into the jungle capture a spider monkey and bring him back to ESPN headquarters for a more creditble speaker.

Posted by: c_note_70 | May 1, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Who cares what Cerrato thinks? I wish he would just go away.

Posted by: ar652 | May 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Who gives a f*#! what vinny cerrato thinks about anything, the Post shouldnt seek or accept his take on anything other than how to be a good yes man and screw up the Redskins for 10 years, on that he's an expert.I'd like nothing better than to never again hear his name mentioned except maybe to hear he's the GM of the Cowboys. What a loser.

Posted by: bigfuff | May 1, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I didn't even read the article because I have no interest in listening to anything Cerrato has to say. Please do not include him in any future stories EVER!!!

Posted by: SKINSSINCE82 | May 2, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rschotta1 | April 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abusesee

Hellie also talked to a player recently who had attempted to see the owner to lobby for his positional coach to keep his job. [B]"He was literally stopped at the door by the secretary, who said all football matters have to go through Bruce Allen," [/B]

Doesn't seem all that different from what we have going on now.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | May 3, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

VINNY KNOWS WHAT TO SAY.....HOHOOAAA
DONT FORGET TO ADD DONT SHOOT PUPPIES

DANNYBOY STILL RULES...VINNY IS STILL A JERK

Posted by: dannyboyrules | May 4, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Deangelo Hall. Vinny signed this guy and resigned him and gave him huge money.

DEANGELO HALL.

And Vinny hasn't left town yet?

I won't be surprised if Hall gets cut. Soon.

Posted by: Rex91 | May 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Why do we care what Vinny has to say? I bet he didnt ask Brandon Llyod any character questions? I remember Gibbs saying that they did not really know about their being an issue with him as a teammate. They could have just watched SC for that info. But, really Vinny is an idiot. Hes our Matt Millen. How do these guys get on Teevee? He has proven he does not know more than GMS in the NFL. If he did he would have been hired by somebody else.

Posted by: Pathavi | May 6, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse