Chad Johnson - Still Can't Get Him

Skins still very interested in trading their 21st overall draft pick, and, according to sources, the Redskins made another approach for Johnson in the last day or so, shopping multiple first round picks, and were rebuffed again.

Trading down is still something they will pursue hotly. Once pick 17 or so gets going Vinny Cerrato will be working the phones again trying to get the best deal possibile for this pick. Some teams are interested in QBs in this range and Jacksonville might move up five spots as well if a pass rusher is there.

But as always there's no guarantees they can pull it off. Don't see the Bengals or Cardinals or Lions budging, either, but the Skins could continue to push to land their big WRs, too.

Jason Reid heard from league sources that the Redskins, if they stick at 21, have come to the realization that it doesn't make sense to take a WR there (if, perhaps, Thomas falls it could give them pause, but at this point it would be surprising for them to take Kelly or Nelson at 21).

If Mayo or Harvey falls - and I don't think they will - then the Skins would look at them very closely. Also, some are suggesting that CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie could be on the board at 21, and I hear the Skins are very high on him, love his return skills, and I would not be surprised if they nabbed him at 21.

But, still, if you're putting a gun to my head and making me pick for them at 21, I'll say Merling. Once the board starts coming into focus, though, everything can change in an instant and the Skins themselves likely won't know exactly what they will do until they are on the clock.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 26, 2008; 1:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DraftCast Reminder
Next: Jerry Coleman In The House

Comments

come on bengals give up chad please.wouldent u rather get something for him instead of nothing and u know ya are not going to the playoffs and plus look at yaw division and watch chad say i told u so and coach marvin lewis feel stupid.

Posted by: domo | April 26, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

CJ is poison. Thank your personal deity that Cerrato and Snyder are getting rebuffed. Nothing worse for a developing QBs confidence than a giant ego-trip calling for the ball on every play.

Posted by: mo | April 26, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Dan, Vinnie - give it up, and turn off the light on your way out.

We have SO MANY holes, and you want to give up two picks for an old petulant albiet talented player, who will likely not take us to the superbowl while he is still playing. Am I missing something?

If we can't trade down, let's have the best lineman available unless someone outstanding slips.

(And off-topic, here's hoping Chelsea win f-all this season...)

Posted by: michael martin | April 26, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Skins are more than Chad Johnson away from being real competitive.

It'd be a great addition; but also one step forward (albeit a big one) and several steps back. Net minus?

If the Skins didn't have so many needs...

Posted by: Steve | April 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Dear Cincinatti Bengals,

I just want to give you my heart felt thanks for protecting the Redskin's Front office from itself. while they would love to mortgage the future on a 30 year old trouble making wide receiver, you have prevented that from happening. Maybe you will eventually be forced to accept our next 4 first round picks, but I appreciate your "tough love"!

Posted by: Redskins Fan | April 26, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mike Brown, I'll eat my pooh and give you 8 first round picks for ocho 5.

Posted by: Daniel Snyder | April 26, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

did u all see Rams signed Chris Long as the #2 pick??? Guess there wont be much suspence at the top of the draft!!!!!!

This draft starting at 3 is mad lame!

Posted by: chris larry | April 26, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

hey Mike Brown,

I will clean your toilet with my toungue for ocho-stinko!!

Posted by: Daniel Snyder | April 26, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mike Brown, I'll eat my pooh and give you 8 first round picks for ocho 5.

Posted by: Daniel Snyder | April 26, 2008 2:14 PM

-------------------------------------------

Add 1 girl, 1 cup, and 1 more conditional draft pick and I will consider it.

Posted by: Mike Brown | April 26, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

what about the raiders picking up chad they are looking for a great reciever with some screws loose to fit it the black hole of oddities. Everybody is underestimating the raiders this year which is good if your a raiders fan because people dont see us as threats yet chad would be a perfect fit for the new offense

Posted by: killer | April 27, 2008 6:00 AM | Report abuse