Chad Simpson will be ready to play Sunday against Lions

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said earlier this week that he wanted three running backs active Sunday in Detroit, and it appears he has three healthy options.

Chad Simpson injured his groin in practice before the Chicago game and was inactive last week. But Shanahan said Simpson, who has primarily played on special teams, will be ready to play against the Lions, joining Ryan Torain and Keiland Williams.

"Surprisingly so," said Shanahan, who feared the groin injury was more serious. "He went Wednesday, went pretty close to full speed. The last couple of days he looked 100 percent. So there should be no setback."

The team added running back James Davis to the practice squad earlier this week. There won't be any Saturday call-ups this week, but Shanahan liked what he saw of Davis, who was released at the start of the week by Cleveland.

"He wouldn't be ready to go this weekend," Shanahan said of Davis. "But he looked very good on the scout team this week. You can see he's got a lot of talent, a lot of potential."

The Redskins' top two right tackles were hobbled earlier in the week, but Shanahan expects Jammal Brown and Stephon Heyer to be available at Detroit. If both are healthy during pregame warm-ups, they could rotate into the game.

"They both should be able to go," Shanahan said. "There should be no setback. So we'll wait and see."

By Rick Maese  | October 29, 2010; 1:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lions rookie Ndamukong Suh is impressing Coach Jim Schwartz
Next: Kareem Moore hopes to handle more extended duty this week

Comments

Congrats Reid, you are now official the most important person in DC!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:04 PM

Come on monk...every knows that is beep-beep.

I think Chad Simpson's days on the active roster are numbered.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Monday night against the Eagles in two weeks, im telling you, book it.

Torain, CP, and James Davis will be our RB's

And Terrenace Austin is lifted while Joey gets cut.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it again: you told Brandt on the phone, he told me.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | October 29, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I thought Simpson had a hamstring problem.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Reid, you are now official the most important person in DC!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:04 PM

Come on monk...every knows that is beep-beep.

I think Chad Simpson's days on the active roster are numbered.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, my old buddy queef-queef. Oops, ITN!

Seriously beep, I didn't mean to joke about your mom. We can bust each other's balls but I don't want you to think it's personal, we're all Redskins fans here!

Wait PA, no Chad Simpson on the roster? DOH!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Monday night against the Eagles in two weeks, im telling you, book it.

Torain, CP, and James Davis will be our RB's

And Terrenace Austin is lifted while Joey gets cut.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 29, 2010 2:25 PM

OK Rocco...I'm puting that in my book.

I'm also puting in my book that next week I'll be complaining that I hate bye weeks!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:31 PM

Awwwww I'm getting all teary-eyed...I hope this doesn't bring an end to your feud! Nothing wrong with some harmless fry cook and Art Monk's area code jokes guys.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, now I'm depressed about the crap that will be posted during the bye week. If it's crap now, I know it'll be NERDIER than we we're complaining about now! We've got to get some games or trivia goin on up in here next week, I don't want to rely on Reid and the NERD CREW to keep me entertained.

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

this game worries me more than the Rams game.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:03 PM
-----------------------------------------
Well, yeah. The Rams game has already been played.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

-____________-

don't be an asshead, be a redskinhead, k?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Well that IS good news.

In even better news, O.J. Simpson is still in the pokey.

Posted by: TheCork | October 29, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

this game worries me more than the Rams game.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:03 PM
-----------------------------------------
Well, yeah. The Rams game has already been played.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

-____________-

don't be an asshead, be a redskinhead, k?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:41 PM
------------------------------------------
Just thought I should tell you so you didn't worry about that any more.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:31 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

That doesn't mean we can't joke around. Go flip those fries beep! There, that better PA? And dry your eyes you p*ssy!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

this game worries me more than the Rams game.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:03 PM
-----------------------------------------
Well, yeah. The Rams game has already been played.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

-____________-

don't be an asshead, be a redskinhead, k?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:41 PM
------------------------------------------
Just thought I should tell you so you didn't worry about that any more.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

lol

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 29, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Monday night against the Eagles in two weeks, im telling you, book it.

Torain, CP, and James Davis will be our RB's

And Terrenace Austin is lifted while Joey gets cut.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like a good scenario but there is one wrinkle.

If Shannahan and Allen feel that Portis will not be around next year, then who will they replace him with to be their 3rd down back?

Posted by: Devo2 | October 29, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:40 PM

Too funny monk...my bad...I'll bring the Slip and Slide on Monday...JReid is NOT invited to use it.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Praise Jesus!

I had anxiety all week about Chad being healthy...Knew we had no chance against Detroit w/o him....have been refreshing Google news all day hoping for an update.

Now that this is out of the way, I need to know....

Are Dan Snyder, Jim Schwartz, Brett Favre, Jon Stewart, President Obama, the Chilean Coal Miners, UPS pilots and Rick Sanchez ALL "AMAZED" at London Fletcher's 200 game streak?

If so, I would propose a separate RI post outlining each individual's hopes and fears for London and the likelihood of his streak continuing.

Of course each post should contain the following line:

'________________expressed surprise when reporters informed him Thursday that Fletcher, barring unforeseen developments, will appear in his 200th consecutive game Sunday against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.'

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

No, we'll just pick team captains and they can pick their teams 1 at a time. Reid will be the fat kid that always gets picked last, then he'll cry and go home!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

And dry your eyes you p*ssy!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:46 PM

Possy? Pissy? Pessy? Passy? Ohhhhhhh...you bastard! Don't make me lift you to the ground again monk!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

who are these guys?

Posted by: ginnyandrick | October 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Beepidy Beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 29, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 2:54 PM

Good idea...if we're captains...I'm picking my new friend Smokey the Bear first...hope to get hessone in one of the later rounds...and gonna try and get your buddy beep too...I love McDonalds french fries!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, my head is killing me from that, I take it back! I hope I at least taught you a little lesson when I lowered you into the air!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I am excited about the addition of James Davis. He could be the homerun threat this team needs, although he is more likely to break away like a Micheal Turner than like a Chris Johnson. He does not have a great 40yd time, but he knows how to hit the sideline and takeoff.

Anyone who saw him at Clemson knows that he was at his best when they ran the stretch play instead of more shotgun/spread offense stuff that hurt his stock during his last season.

The interesting thing is that on this team he may be the "Lightning" to Torain's "Thunder" rather than the "Thunder" to Spiller's "Lightning."

Posted by: SportzWiz | October 29, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

seriously jonesing for the Skins to draft John Clay in the spring...

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 29, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse