Chat about Baugh at Noon

Post staff writer Joe Holley will be chatting at noon today about the extraordinary career and life of Sammy Baugh, the former Redskins quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer who died Wednesday.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 18, 2008; 10:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pro Bowl Unrestricted...and a Chat
Next: Chat Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...

Comments

Curz,

I looked up some reviews online and looks like Photo shop is rated at the top so I think that it should be fine. It's probably even more then what she needs.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Have you & blog staff ever considered a sidebar approach to things like the videos, polls and links to other content. So basically instead of "new posts" these things live as a ever changing sidebar. Thus keeping the posts more about the writing and leaving the comments more uninterupted?

Would make the blog page in whole more of a portal to other content while maintaing the content integrity of the actual blog text.

Just a thought.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

From last post:

"I'll take CP thanks. Not really sure what the point of this post was.

Posted by: Gweez"

"Just food for thought about the ways in which organizations assess talent and allocate resources."

When you make assembling a dominant offensive line a priority, you don't need Clinton Portis to put up Portis-esque numbers.

Lesson #1 for Vinny. I'm glad he called this out.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

PSP,

That's just the point though. IF they had made O-line a priority then who's to say what had happened. NFL teams don't operate in a vacuum. The QB's were different, the O-lines were different, the opponents were different. There is a reason that teams let TJ walk and it's not because he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I happen to think that RB's are relatively interchangeable these days but CP plays hurt, plays tough, blocks for his QB and other players. I love the guy and I'm not sure i'd have said that 2 years ago.

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks cL, user friendly is always nice or I will be spending alot of time helping (not that I mind!).

Flounder, that's what I have found, but not being a camera guy myself was not sure.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 18, 2008 10:36 AM |

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I second Chrislarry's suggestion.

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

From PFT,

From Me,

I am getting tired of the excuses alot of teams are learning new offenses and some are doing it with rookie QB's. They also have a better record then the Skins.

This team FO's, players and coaches need to stop the crying and man up and start playing some ball.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Okay, about Adobe, my brother says :

"It's alright. Easy to find a crack. I've got it, but if you just need the basic stuff, the GIMP works fine, and it's free."

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Guys lets get real. Hes old and broken down. Every other running back in the division has startedmore games than him and has more carries. He has shown he isn't tough. Jacobs is 4 times tougher and I would take him any day. Westbrook only has 8 season ending injuries and is 2 years older. Obviously he is less injury prone. Barber has never even had a thousand yard season but he is better than a man that has had more than 1200 yards in all but one season that he was hurt.

Posted by: Pleepleus | December 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"Some RI staff posts are such non starters that it kills a string of good back and forth on the blog. The sidebar approach also sweeps the nefarious "beep beep" and the "firsts" back into the shadows with the dustballs. It will also keep a lot of reposting from being necessary.

Posted by: driley"

cause lord knows the blog owners do not want more posts

it's a CONSPIRACY and I think it's tied to the CONSPIRACY that involves the group who kidnapped Jason Reid! FREE JASON REID

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ps, I not sure what you're talking about. CP was putting up CP-like numbers because the line was healthy.

You make it sound like leading the league in rushing is a bad thing.

CP is not the problem, was he paid too much, yeah OK. But injuries aside, he's been a pretty good back.

Like I said before Canfora was reaching on that post.

Posted by: Predator48

-------

I said nothing of the sort. And I don't think CP is anywhere near the problem.

Portis-esque numbers are what he's had throughout his tenure here. Good overall yards, average in YPC, good number of TDs. CP is a great back and is obviously a better player than Jones. But because Jones has a dominant o-line, he puts up extremely similar statistics.

The difference is that when the RB gets paid to be the focus, he really only produces in the running game, and only when he's the one carrying the ball. When the offensive line is the one that gets paid to be the focus, a number of RBs can step in and produce (not just 1), AND the passing game jumps dramatically because they can keep their QB upright.

Maybe JLC WAS actually trying to say Jones is as good as Portis. But what I actually take out of the statistics aspect is that you don't need a caliber back like CP to put up the CP-type numbers we've seen. (Or another way to look at it, imagine what CP would look like with a consistently dominant o-line in front of him)

The post is a criticism on how the FO prioritizes its positions. That's the main point that I took out of it.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

running backs might be interchangeable but you cant teach toughness, and how to be a prime time player.

we can whine all day about CP's personallity, but the one question everybody had after the Cincy game is why didnt CP get one carry on goaline, and you know why we ask this question, because in prime time situations you want your prime time player to have the ball.

so JLC can list all the stats he wants, but you can also tell he has never really an athlete by the way he writes, because he doesnt understand that intagible that some athletes have and some dont. all he can see is stats and that is because he has never really been in sports he has just been around sports.

George Foreman said it best to Larry Merchant from HBO. he said larry you dont know boxing, you been around boxing.

same for JLC, he doesnt know football or athletes he just has been around them.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 18, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"There is a reason that teams let TJ walk and it's not because he was the greatest thing since sliced bread."

Ask Chicago how that turned out.

I admit to holding a bias for Thomas Jones because he went to UVA. Would he have done as well here as Portis? I don't know.
He would have cost a great deal less and he does not demand attention. Was Portis worth the extra second round pick or the cap squeezing salary? I don't know. Will his salary be justified in 2009 and beyond? That is one thing that I am sure of--NO!

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I like JC but he seems to cry alot, fans are blaming me, the media is blaming me. I have had to learn alot of offenses.

He needs to man and stop caring what people say about him. He also needs to stop trying to play mistake free this is causing him to not take chances when he has an opening.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Did Joe Holley cover Baugh?

Will he have any insight?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, ChrislarRy, driley and truth; I'll share your comments with Jon DeNunzio and the developers. Fortunately, you guys manage to keep a conversation going across postings pretty nicely!

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 18, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"From PFT,

This quote gives me dueche chills......wow very lame.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

thanks cindy, you are a festivus miracle!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

That's very sad about Baugh. Doubly so becaues he was on Vinny's radar to replace Plackemeier as Redskins punter next year.

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 18, 2008 10:52 AM |

Thats because we are special.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"From PFT,

"Says Redskins QB Jason Campbell, “I think we’re worn down, it’s been a long season, it was a long training camp, and learning a new system week in and week out, it can be draining.”

Spoken like a true loser.

Posted by: Masonman | December 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

++++You mean Captain Hanky Stanky isn't the best rb in the league? Just ask him and he'll tell you.

Betts would have just as many yards given the same amount of carries. Portis is the perfect summary of this entire organization.

Posted by: yellow_jacket98++++

No qustion Portis is High Maintenance. But no one this side of his agent or his Mom would seriously think Betts could match Portis yard for yard.

With the SINGLE exception of one season, Betts has been a career bust for the Redskins, just one of many squandered 2nd rounds picks by the organization..

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I tell you what if these Skins players had 1% of the heart of a Sammy Baugh they would be in the Superbowl.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

It time for the JC project to end! He will continue to look lost and pat the ball several times just before closing his eyes as he is planted into the turf. Many of the sacks are on him, IMO.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Okay, about Adobe, my brother says :

Posted by: TheTruth11

Thanks!

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Festivues, I'd like to initiate the Airing of Greivances.

And I'd like to start with our very own ChrisLarry.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2008 8:47 PM

I heart chRIs laRRy.

Also, I'm willing to chip in a few bucks to the Jason Reid Ransom Fund. [I'd be more generous normally, but I just made massive donations on behalf of RI to the Human Fund.]

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I've always said you guys were special ;)
For some reason, I find myself more excited about Festivus this year than ever before. Maybe it's because I think I really have a chance in the Feats of Strength, for once.
Oh, and Joe Holley spent a lot of time with Baugh about three years ago in Texas and is writing a book about him.

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 18, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

From PFT,

This quote gives me dueche chills......wow very lame.

Posted by: chrislarry

It sounds (and certainly appears) that this team has been going into a downward spiral of depression. Last year's squad played through a great deal more injuries and psychic trauma than anytbing that this squad has endured. In the end this team chose not to gut it out for themselves, their team or their coaches. The defense has carried this team through the Gibbs 2.0 years and it now has nothing left after filling the breach for so long. Is the team finally seeing itself for what it is? If so that must be Vinnie's worst nightmare, because that skeletal finger points back to him.

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

++++Guys lets get real. Hes old and broken down. Every other running back in the division has started more games than him and has more carries. He has shown he isn't tough. Jacobs is 4 times tougher and I would take him any day.++++

Another poster under the delusion that it's only the RB that matters, not the OLine.

Tell you what, strap it up and pretend you're a linebacker. Then blitz the QB against the Giants and the Redskins. When your head stops ringing and your Pelotas return to your scrotum, you'll reassess how tough Portis is.

Broken down, I'll give you. But that's more a factor of the beating he's had to take and the fact he's had quite a few more career carries than Jacobs, who if I'm not mistaken has missed a game or two lately himself.

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Danny doesn't get marketing crazy and start selling #33 towels and commemorating Sammy Baugh leather helmets at the next game.

That said, A throwback 33 jersey would kick ass. Has that been done yet?

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV is also a part of my Airing of Greivances. Definitely.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

++++This is classic kill the messenger. You can nitpick a moss here a kendell there but this franchise is diseased from that top with dbagrobber baron for an owner and a no talent hack as gm and a sycophant snake oil salesman as media mouthpiece. And before you puke out the "our team" hogwash really step back and think about what our team has become.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2008 8:47 PM++++

Dude! Post of the Year.

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

So Drew Peterson is engaged to his fifth wife.

Who would marry that guy? What's wrong with the world!?!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

++++I know he has only thrown 6 picks but he also only has 12 TD's, in my opinion that is a QB who is not threading the needle.

Posted by: Flounder21

Posted by: lsskinsfan++++

Odd. When Moss was healthy and this Oline was healthy, and the five or six plays JZ calls were new to opponents, JC had NO picks and pinpoint accuracy.

I can't imagine why he's suddenly become ineffective and should be immediately replaced with Colt Brennan. Because when Colt pays behind this line with these receivers he can become the NEW Patrick Ramsey.

Only 12 TDs for campbell? That's awful, especially considering the three swell touchdown catchin' receivers Vinny drafted for him.

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Cork,

Betts has only been allowed to start 11 games his entire career. Given the circumstances of Portis being on the team he can only do with what crumbs Portis has allowed him. The one season that he was able to start 9 games he had an outstanding season. All in all, I think you have a rather harsh opinion of him. A wasted second round pick? Not at all. An underutilized second round pick? Yes.

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Did you know I am the redskins #1 fan... according to the redskins store? they have some great deals for me...

Posted by: Zeebs | December 18, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 10:58 AM

Gotta disagree with this on a certain level...I think 2006 showed what he would've been if Gibbs came in here and played with what he had instead of rounding up Portis and Brunell. It's not Betts fault he hasn't put up numbers; it's the organization's fault for replacing a 2nd rounder before he had a chance to show what he's got. Nobody can tell me that seeing what Betts and Ramsey had in 2004 would've made this team any worse than it already was.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Truth11, I know that this might sound completely UN-RI-like, esp. up here lately, but in gifting a kid, you can never go wrong with the book. Check out and browse in a good book store for kids ... stuff today is way better than I remember from when I was a kid. I find that I rarely choose among several and end up buying more than I intended. I mean, at least its not a sweater or pajamas. Video games ... probably a good idea if you want to encourage the kid to stay inside, couch park, mouth breathe, become an amateur NFL GM ... seriously, there is time enough to slack on the other side of the education path ... its a dog sniff butt world out there and the world needs more people who can think.

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

As much as I have ended up loving CP, I gotta admit I often wondered what would have happened if Gibbs had just given Betts a shot in "The Return Year 1"....

Gibbs' tragic flaw in "The Return" was being seduced by the opiate that is/was Snyder's cash and open wallet.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

qeed qeed

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Cork,

I know you think it's all about the front office and you may be right.

But the players have to step up and play at some point.

JC is playing scared because he is afraid of throwing Int's and it's costing him the chance to throw the ball for TD's.

There are teams who have given up more sacks then us, that have more TD's and continually throw the ball down the field.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork+++

Agreed the surrounding cast of players is weak.
The O-line is in shambles and I think it's more that, than the lack of creativity on Zorns part. That and the fact that JC needs 4+ seconds to throw when most every other QB can fire it out in 2 seconds or so. Watch some other teams like: Falcons, Panthers, Bucs, Cardinals, even the Ravens.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 18, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse